Forum Settings
Forums
Sword Art Online Progressive (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
5Loved it!
57.5%
4Liked it!
28.5%
3It was OK
10.7%
2Disliked it
1.7%
1Hated it
1.6%
Average 4.4
1,193 votes
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Oct 29, 2021 9:18 PM
Jul 2018
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I went to watch this movie in Hiroshima's theater.
Really good movie overall. Asuna is a cute and cool girl. I could empathize with her feelings and decision. Mito is also a good character.
So beautiful visuals. Especially fight scenes are well-made and splendid. Great character design. The theme song by LiSA is a banger.
This movie is my first SAO anime so I enjoyed it so much. I'm looking forward to the sequel next year.
Oct 29, 2021 9:36 PM
Jul 2018
I watched in Osaka. Really better than expected, especially the last battle scene of course. Great job, A-1
Oct 29, 2021 9:55 PM

Sep 2020
Xnovazero said:
This sequel you speak of, is it confirmed?
staerwerOct 29, 2021 10:03 PM
I am a useless student of society.
Tests are my body and Grades are my blood.
I have done over a thousand assignments.
Unseen by teachers,
nor done properly.
Yet, those hands shall never hold an outstanding grade.
So, as I pray...
Unlimited Homeworks.
Oct 29, 2021 9:59 PM
Oct 2021
was there a bath scene like the light novel or the manga for anyone who saw it?
Oct 29, 2021 10:10 PM
Jul 2018
talesoferic said:

Oct 29, 2021 10:16 PM
Oct 2021
gyarudev said:
talesoferic said:

nice hoping it lives up to ordinal scale scene
Oct 29, 2021 11:21 PM
Oct 2020
“Aniplex of America has licensed the film for release in North American theaters in 2021. Funimation later announced they were teaming up with Aniplex to theatrically distribute the film in the United States and Canada on December 3, Australia and New Zealand on December 9, and at an unknown date in the United Kingdom and Ireland with plans to screen the film in both Japanese with English subtitles and an English dub.” Source Wikipedia (so take this info with a grain of salt)
Oct 29, 2021 11:27 PM
Sep 2021
It’s not subbed right?
Oct 29, 2021 11:28 PM
Jul 2018
l--_--l said:
Xnovazero said:

The sequel was confirmed at the end of this movie.
Oct 29, 2021 11:40 PM
Jul 2018
Rock_87 said:
It’s not subbed right?

Raw. I watched this movie in the theater.
Oct 30, 2021 12:21 AM
Jun 2017
not bad. however, I expected more from Waki ​​Kentarou's juniors.
Oct 30, 2021 12:28 AM

Oct 2017
Xnovazero said:
l--_--l said:

Wow that's great news. Where did this movie end btw?
Oct 30, 2021 12:40 AM
Jul 2018
MegamiRem said:
Xnovazero said:

It’s spoilers so I can’t tell about them.
Oct 30, 2021 12:43 AM

Oct 2020
Xnovazero said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
Really good movie overall. Asuna is a cute and cool girl. I could empathize with her feelings and decision. Mito is also a good character.
So beautiful visuals. Especially fight scenes are well-made and splendid. Great character design. The theme song by LiSA is a banger.
This movie is my first SAO anime so I enjoyed it so much. I'm looking forward to the sequel next year.
The sequel will be covering the 2nd part of the 1st vol i.e., the 2nd floor'Rondo of a Fragile Blade' imo. Is that right? If yes just say will it be a series or movie?
Please watch Sword Art Online Progressive, it's the peak of SAO.
Oct 30, 2021 12:50 AM

Oct 2017
Xnovazero said:
MegamiRem said:

Just put em under spoiler tag.
Oct 30, 2021 12:51 AM
Aug 2020
I hope the sequel is not a movie. Can someone tell me if the adaptation was good and if things were changed? Cant wait to see the visuals for myself in december!
Oct 30, 2021 1:43 AM
Jul 2018
MegamiRem said:
Xnovazero said:

Just put em under spoiler tag.

Oct 30, 2021 2:24 AM
Jun 2017
I see hate reviews out there but it's funny. This is a movie about Asuna after all. Kirito is simply a supporting character, who has no time to show his personality. And the hack// came out at the same time as Reki's web novel so it's funny to say SAO copy it. As I expected, if people hate it, no matter how good or bad the movie is, people will still criticize it.
Oct 30, 2021 2:27 AM
Jun 2017
wokkel said:
I hope the sequel is not a movie. Can someone tell me if the adaptation was good and if things were changed? Cant wait to see the visuals for myself in december!
it is good. There were a few changes but did not affect the plot nor create conflicts with the following parts. Please enjoy it.
Oct 30, 2021 2:46 AM
Jul 2021
tuyetthan8x said:
I see hate reviews out there but it's funny. This is a movie about Asuna after all. Kirito is simply a supporting character, who has no time to show his personality. And the hack// came out at the same time as Reki's web novel so it's funny to say SAO copy it. As I expected, if people hate it, no matter how good or bad the movie is, people will still criticize it.

The guy who put on hate review is a troll. His location is Brasil, SAOP has just been released today in Japan and he said he went to see it lmao (it's like did he just fly over through the Pacific ocean to Japan to watch a movie he is going to hate). He put on a hateful and unhelpful review but was too hasty and tried to be the "first two reviewers" of an anime. He's literally an example of a typical toxic SAO hater.

Basically, the guy on the second review who gave a bad review to SAOP basically hates anything that was popular. You should check his dropped list, full of "mainstream anime"

Edit: correcting typos
DeMarcKOct 30, 2021 2:50 AM
Stonks
Oct 30, 2021 3:22 AM

Sep 2012
I'm wondering about the potential plot issues though. I.e.
NB. I never read the light novels.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 30, 2021 4:25 AM
Jul 2018
I'm honestly relieved that their budget goes to the Progressive LN movies instead of continuing the TV series. I'm not an SAO hater, but the original LN has been getting too long and complex. The worst thing is
. Imagine explaining the goddamn long 3rd season plot to newcomers lol

Anyway, I hope Aniplex does the right thing as they did for the Kimetsu movie. I mean, a TV version.
removed-userOct 30, 2021 4:29 AM
Oct 30, 2021 4:27 AM

Oct 2020
tuyetthan8x said:
well kinda, but It's actually weird to say that SAO is a copy. lol
Anayan_KashyapOct 15, 2022 10:50 AM
Oct 30, 2021 5:14 AM
Jun 2017
I'm LN reader but I consider this movie as a newly written work, so I don't compare or comment according to the LN. Actually Kirito in the movie didn't have much acting space, they also cut a lot of the details related to Kirito that were in the ss1 anime and changed the events to Asuna's pov. Kirito was still important, still showing up at the pivotal moment and being Asuna's guide. However, the limited appearance time does not allow people to evaluate him as in that review.
I hope everyone can ignore the hate and enjoy the movie, that's all.
tuyetthan8xOct 30, 2021 5:51 AM
Oct 30, 2021 6:25 AM

Sep 2020
tuyetthan8x said:
Couldnt agree more
This movie is being hated just beacuse it has "Sword Art Online" in its title.
Some idiots are complaining that the visuals are bad, they must be blind or something.
Unseen by teachers,
nor done properly.
So, as I pray...
Unlimited Homeworks.
Oct 30, 2021 6:39 AM
Dec 2020
Where can i watch it?
Oct 30, 2021 7:31 AM

Oct 2020
Theaters in Japan
Oct 30, 2021 10:34 AM
Jan 2019
Anayan_Kashyap said:
Xnovazero said:
The sequel will be covering the 2nd part of the 1st vol i.e., the 2nd floor'Rondo of a Fragile Blade' imo. Is that right? If yes just say will it be a series or movie?

The 2nd movie will skip to floor 5 unfortunately. Which mmeans they will skip about 4 LN volumes of story.
Oct 30, 2021 10:42 AM
Jun 2020
Xnovazero said:

Waaaaaaait!!!, It’s GONNA BE A SEQUEL????Please tell me more about this!!
Oct 30, 2021 10:54 AM

Sep 2020
Sora_1303 said:

The 2nd movie will skip to floor 5 unfortunately. Which mmeans they will skip about 4 LN volumes of story.
Why does everything I like and I am hyped for always turn out this way?
Why, just why do they decide to skip stuff, doesnt that make it the same as SAO S1 then?
Unseen by teachers,
nor done properly.
So, as I pray...
Unlimited Homeworks.
Oct 30, 2021 11:35 AM

Jul 2008
Xnovazero said:
MegamiRem said:

This is the movie discussion thread. You can say anything about the film's plot here...
Oct 30, 2021 12:42 PM
Jul 2018
ProGamerZ said:
Xnovazero said:

Waaaaaaait!!!, It’s GONNA BE A SEQUEL????Please tell me more about this!!

The sequel was announced after credits. Release date is next year.
Oct 30, 2021 12:57 PM
Jul 2018
Gar_Logan said:
Xnovazero said:

This is the movie discussion thread. You can say anything about the film's plot here...

removed-userOct 30, 2021 1:17 PM
Oct 30, 2021 6:37 PM

Aug 2017
Sora_1303 said:
Anayan_Kashyap said:

are you predicting or was it confirmed
Oct 30, 2021 7:32 PM
Sep 2017
Sora_1303 said:
Anayan_Kashyap said:

> 2nd movie will skip to floor 5
Just reading this, make me cringe. Wtf is A1 Pictures doing 😡

Honestly, just make this movie canon to the gameverse then. From the introduction of Mito, I knew I have the right to be skeptic of this movie. Mind you, I didn't mind Yuna/Eiji in Ordinal Scale.

Nobody is giving Progressive proper treatment(not even the manga).

So far, this 3 mangaka respected the author original vision:
1)Kotaro Yamada(GGO + Alicization)
2)Bekkou Rico(Kiss & Fly V22)
3)Mugetsu( adapting Progressive - Koganeritsu no Canon)
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 30, 2021 9:02 PM

Dec 2020
The pure jealousy I have for Japanese fans right now....

Oct 30, 2021 9:56 PM
Jul 2018
l--_--l said:
Sora_1303 said:

Why, just why do they decide to skip stuff, doesnt that make it the same as SAO S1 then?

No, it won't be the same as S1 because progressive LN have like 100x details than original LN.

And skipping several floors is totally OK. I've read progressive LN but I can't remember what happened in floor 2,3,4. (I'm not saying it's boring)
Oct 30, 2021 11:10 PM
Jun 2019
Well that is the day, October 30th, cinemas are packed since morning.

Anw, what a great movie, same with the op, this is my first SAO movie (haven't watch Ordinal Scale). The animation is really stunning, the story also great, and met my expectations as the LN readers.

SEQUEL IS CONFIRMED I'M SO HYPED. SAO fans eating good things here
Oct 31, 2021 3:39 AM

Aug 2017
ApacheSnow69 said:
Sora_1303 said:

> 2nd movie will skip to floor 5
Just reading this, make me cringe. Wtf is A1 Pictures doing 😡

Honestly, just make this movie canon to the gameverse then. From the introduction of Mito, I knew I have the right to be skeptic of this movie. Mind you, I didn't mind Yuna/Eiji in Ordinal Scale.

Nobody is giving Progressive proper treatment(not even the manga).

So far, this 3 mangaka respected the author original vision:
1)Kotaro Yamada(GGO + Alicization)
2)Bekkou Rico(Kiss & Fly V22)
3)Mugetsu( adapting Progressive - Koganeritsu no Canon)

i don’t think they know just yet they were probably just predicting....
Oct 31, 2021 4:12 AM

Feb 2018
Just watched a movie and it was quite lively and interesting, I like Asuna's character development, Asuna is a cute and smart. And also she's look like beautiful when she was a child, Having good friends, besides that the story starts when Asuna hasn't instal SAO and that's quite interesting, if the short anime version is about the early events of SAO from Kirito's viewpointsm. I like how the fight is, besides that the sound is also booming like sword friction and so on. It's just that it's quite sad because someone have turned into corpses :")

Nov 1, 2021 4:33 AM
Jun 2020
FakeNeko said:
The pure jealousy I have for Japanese fans right now....

Yeah man I feel you:)))
Nov 1, 2021 4:34 AM
Jun 2020
William03 said:
Well that is the day, October 30th, cinemas are packed since morning.

Anw, what a great movie, same with the op, this is my first SAO movie (haven't watch Ordinal Scale). The animation is really stunning, the story also great, and met my expectations as the LN readers.

SEQUEL IS CONFIRMED I'M SO HYPED. SAO fans eating good things here

MAN YOU SHOULD GO WATCH ORDINAL SCALE RIGHT NOW!!!
You don't know what you are losing:)))
Nov 6, 2021 3:07 AM

May 2019
RIP Argo

Not spoiler, the studio literally Rem'd it.
Nov 21, 2021 5:57 AM

Oct 2007
The biggest plus is the sound effects (oddly)
They stretched the movie so it could end at the end of the first boss. A lot of parts were repeated from S1 without adding barely anything new to it.

I expected to see more character development from Asuna. The 2 new struggles to be ended with a "kirito randomly showed up" instead of development of Asuna and other characters were also a disappointment

It was noticeable that some parts didn't fit with what we saw in S1. Imo this is bad writing.

TL;DR: A nice watch, but nothing special. 6/10
Nov 21, 2021 8:45 AM

Sep 2013
Just finished watching the movie. As the movie focusing on Asuna point of view, I think the plot makes sense now(in terms of Asuna character development) compare to watching the series only.

However, as the guy above me said, they stretched the plot until they open floor 2. Maybe I'm expecting a lot more(Mito character development for example) but overall the movie was good and the ost was amazing. 9/10
tsuki_shiroNov 21, 2021 9:00 AM
Nov 22, 2021 5:35 AM
Jun 2015
l--_--l said:
Sora_1303 said:

They're skipping some material due to an ongoing quest in the novels that hasn't reached its conclusion yet. They're jumping to Floor 5 because it's easier to adapt as a standalone story. From the way Reki Kawahara described it, it seems possible they will return to adapt the Floors they skipped once the overarching plot thread from the books wraps up.

In other words, there is still hope for a faithful adaptation of all of Progressive.
Nov 22, 2021 7:43 AM

Sep 2020
PaperCutAssassin said:
I got to know that later, thanks for still telling me though.
Unseen by teachers,
nor done properly.
So, as I pray...
Unlimited Homeworks.
Nov 28, 2021 12:43 PM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Had the pleasure of watching this in theatres last night in Hong Kong but couldn't get the time to share my thoughts because of a risky deadline xD.

It was nice to see the perspective of Asuna on some of the early developments in the Aincrad arc. I can't remember exactly, but I thought their first meeting was at the stadium where the players gathered in the meetup. Apparently, they'd bumped into each other before though.

It's a pity that just a volume was adapted because of a lot of anime-original elements being added e.g. the entrire character of Mizumi. Personally, I can't say I'm the biggest fan of her, that betrayal was seriously ugly to say the least. Expected her to seriously die during the boss fight, lol. Well, given how they sidetracked her in the end there, I don't suppose we'll be seeing much of her from here on.

I don't think I've ever found Kirito to be funny but some of the SOL moments between him and her definitely changed my mind a little. One of the biggest take-aways from the movie for me. As for the animation, it was obviously glorious. But I was sitting on the second row so my angle wasn't the best to appreciate it in full ​lol. Here's to hoping the BD/DVD comes out soon so I can give it a shot again.

Aincrad arc was a pretty good arc for me and reliving that experience was pretty nice. Looking forward to the next movie now! And more LiSA too, please.

Solid 7/10.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Dec 3, 2021 2:36 PM

Oct 2008
Watched the movie today. First day, first show, less than 5 people in the theater. I guess Sword Art Online is not very popular in my city.

This is the second time watching Sword Art Online. First was Ordinal Scale when I was visiting Korea February or March 2017.

Movie was pretty good. I should really start watching the TV Series...
Dec 3, 2021 7:15 PM

Dec 2014
Just saw it at my local theatre.

Quite possibly the best SAO feature till date inclusive of all previous series and movies, easily my favorite of the lot. It surpassed any expectations I had for it, pacing was brisk, a little fast but cleanly told. The art and animation were beautiful and the fight sequences were great.

Turning Asuna into the protagonist and having Kirito play the supporting role is a great decision if you ask me, quite possibly one of the best things about the movie. Asuna seems to fit the protagonist role way better, she had lot of nice character moments, her motivations are explained better and you can see how the direness of each situation affects her along with her progression as a player. Big props to the guys who drew/animated her expressions in each situation, extremely well done. Honestly, even Kirito comes off as way more personable than in the main show because of his enigmatic status from Asuna's point of view which is quite possibly the towering achievement of the movie.

I always liked Asuna but this movie definitely made me love her way more.

Can someone more in touch with the series tell me which parts if any are retconned from the original SAO? The events feel slightly different but I guess the overarching story is likely going to be the same. Mito is never mentioned in original and it sounds like she will be a major character going forward. Is there mention of Kirito saving Asuna in the beginning after that incident with the plant monster? I don't recall that from original.

Nevertheless, I'm all for this series even if it means they need to retcon portions of the original series as this feels way more well written and likely what SAO should have been.

9/10, very excited for the sequel but it remains to be seen if they can keep the quality and narrative up to par to what's showcased here.
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Can you watch this without watching the original anime?

Strat2005 - Jan 13

11 by Sara_Karma »»
Jan 14, 10:39 PM

» How dare they???

Haroldinho07 - Jun 23, 2023

25 by GakutoDeathGlare »»
Jul 27, 2023 12:27 AM

» Comparison Scene

ClubAnimeYT - Jul 13, 2022

5 by hacker09 »»
Jun 20, 2023 12:07 AM

» To anyone who don't know what SAO-P is and to those who didn't like the show and wanted a well written version of the show. I'll try to clear any doubts about the show. ( 1 2 )

Anayan_Kashyap - Sep 20, 2021

56 by hacker09 »»
Jun 19, 2023 11:55 PM

» Dub??

removed-user - Jul 14, 2022

9 by removed-user »»
Jun 14, 2023 10:58 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.