Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jan 11, 2021 11:13 AM

Aug 2020
travis13 said:
I'll give one more ep and if it doesn't get better, I'm out. Ghost thing plus the male manager thing really put me off.

Well, at first I thought that I'm the only person would do this. Gonna give another shot for next episode (instead of dropping it rn)
Jan 11, 2021 3:43 PM

Oct 2010
Ok. Idols. But why so many? It just makes things harder. Hoshimi is 543, yes?
Ok. This is how it started. AI judgement sounds stupid but that might add competition vibes.
Ok. Time skip. Song is meh. Personality undeveloped but may be that 'I need you watch me' promises something? Like he is being late and she losses?
Ok. She died? And? He kinda sad? And keeps going? And she is back as ghost? And no personality development again?
Ok. Now we actually start this thing. But what was the whole episode about?
Jan 11, 2021 4:53 PM

Apr 2009
This anime tries to evoke the 1990 film Ghost but failed to do so
The current game that i play: Azur Lane :3

Jan 11, 2021 5:50 PM
Jan 2021
Decent start. Yeah, I predicted a few things but if I’m being honest this premiere wasn’t that bad. This show could either get really dAMN good or be pretty disappointing, I really hope this gets better as it goes because even if the ghost thing is a bit gimmicky it could work wonders if used correctly.
Jan 11, 2021 6:30 PM

Jan 2011
another seasonal idol show i must watch once he said are you watching Mana i was like aw shit there gonna kill someone arent they can't say i was expecting a ghost granted only he can see her so it might just be all in his head by the end.

music and visuals look good, once again getting chararacter designs that look like the ones from fruit tarts last season is a blessing the girls look cute.
Jan 12, 2021 9:08 AM

Nov 2018
In the beginning we see some Idol Group and Manager go to performing some Idol Concert and Manager say Mana person that leaving or something. I mean It's pretty okay to see that.

After that we got to see a Flashback between Manager (Kouhei) and Mana that have bonding relationship as Manager and Idol. But in the end, Mana died because some car crash before Grand Final Venus Competition. At this point I pretty sad that Mana is gone from Kouhei life.

But after that I was like "Oh, well Never Mind" because Mana right now turn to ghost without any unknown reason so far. In the end, Kouhei and Mana still csn communicate and bonding relationship with each other that only Kouhei can see Mana.

Idoly Pride was pretty dramatic Idol anime to watch and it kinda ruin Dramatic Tension when Mana appear and turn to ghost, but kinda bring unique aspect to the table.
But it's pretty weird. Why they told us Kouhei and Mana story first, if the main Character was The Idol Girls Group. Hope this episode will gonna have some part that important to story later.

Overall Pretty great episode with Dramatic Tension yet Unique Story that not Main Character. Hopefully Future Episode having relationship with this episode.

Yunohi-kunJan 13, 2021 12:00 AM
Jan 12, 2021 2:33 PM

Nov 2013
excuse me, what the actual fuck...

i was getting all interested in the idol stuff and then that thing happened, fuck this lmao
i think i'll watch 2nd episode, but probably i'll just save the time from this and maybe start Idolmaster or something LOL
winddevil1Jan 12, 2021 2:39 PM
favorite "new girls" from summer <3 ... click sig for older seasons and more possible picks (rip all the other choices)
Jan 13, 2021 12:05 AM

Jul 2020
Watched this for some reason, honestly idk why I clicked on it.

Might follow this for a few weeks, but honestly idk how I feel about the whole ghost thing. It's a twist for sure, but how will they make it work is the question.
Jan 13, 2021 7:32 AM

Mar 2018
LMAO I was watching this episode and I was thinking that going from highschool freshmen (i think?) to graduates was a little too fast, then they spedran the tournament that she entered without even showing the stages she competed in. Then just when you think it can’t get any faster, homie gets dropped by a car accident (?) and now mc sees a ghost.

I’m not denying its appeal though, I do see it, it’s just so much happened in one episode all to get to the plot point of a ghost girl. I do think this show could go in a positive direction as it has the foundation to do so, it’s just up to the studio to produce it.
Jan 13, 2021 10:32 AM

Oct 2014
well, that was a surprise.
I thought this would be just some producer dude trying to make amends for what he failed to do to his first fav idol x his teen days crush. Didn't think Mana would actually came back as an active character.

Was about to drop, but bringing Mana back that way is a fresh thing for something that sells itself as an idol anime. Signed.
If Producer was trying to make amends by himself, it would be boring. But with Mana established as a main character along side MC (instead of all dem forgettable 10 idols at the start), then yes this might actually be good.
Because the main plot would be about the MC and Mana.
Jan 16, 2021 6:49 AM

Aug 2017
Liked this more than I'd first thought. Ghost part was unnecessary but I don't bother too much with it. Don't know if I'll follow the whole season but for now I'll give it a few more episodes the chance.
Jan 17, 2021 12:33 AM

Apr 2009
CrazyFrogz said:
I thought this could rival love live because Jukki Hanada one of the Idoly Pride creator. Look like im wrong. This show so boring and not making any sense. Time to drop.
also the plot of the film tries to emulate that to a 90's film
The current game that i play: Azur Lane :3

Jan 17, 2021 6:11 AM
Nov 2019
A pretty interesting first episode.
Since this show only has Music as a tag I was sure it would be similar to something like the idolmaster series, but it's a bit darker than those shows.
Now, we only have 1 episode at the moment but this one episode is hinting at a potentially deeper anime than I first thought when reading the synopsis in 2020.

It starts of pretty normal, introducing the whole cast within the first minute and even show us their personality by simply saying 1 word (impressive how fast you can show their personality ^^).

Then it introduces us to the main male character and a pretty important female character (whether she is the main female character I can't say yet but we will see in the next 1-2 episodes). They start of as strangers (but it's subtly hinted that Mana likes Makino already early on) and while spending time together they start to care about each other.
And then it takes a turn for the worse, Mana dies, Makino seems to fall into a depression (which is also again hinted at in a subtle manner) and Mana comes back as a ghost.

I see a lot of people who don't quite like the whole ghost thing, but I think and I am only speculating here, that Ghost-Mana is actually a coping mechanism. She is not really a ghost.
By imagining Mana as a ghost Makino can manage his grief and slowly over time (especially when the other girls come into play and he won't be thinking as much about Mana anymore) get over her death.
Which is also kinda shown at in the first few minutes when he said "are you watching Mana", means at that time which is later on in the story her ghost is not there anymore, so he overcame her death and does not need to imagine her anymore.

So yeah pretty interesting first episode definitely makes me wanna keep watching, maybe I am reading to much into this but if not this could be a really nice surprise anime.

Let's hope for the best. :)
Yveltal1612Jan 17, 2021 6:19 AM
Jan 18, 2021 1:55 AM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
Ah, Mana, died when everything seemed to be fine. However, since the fate already decided her to be death, she died, due to a several conditions. Thats ironic. Still, the fire of will as a good idol intacted pretty well, due to her classmate manager that managed to be so loyal, even until her poor death. No prank, no more mourn, its time for a ghost to be the part of the idol group!

That's how Idoly Pride setting up everything. The pride that even against the nature ordeal. The pride that brought back the light and shadow into a unification. That's the idoly real pride started!

Okay, that shit is unique. I will surely watch this thing, not just for the idol theme only, and the girls cuteness. But, for their unique plot twist estetique, that somehow attached me to see how they well end it. Soothe the soul by winning the competition. That's what i have in mind after seeing Mana revived in Makino's mind as a ghost. Oh well. Lets see the truth at the several next episodes, then!
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Jan 19, 2021 2:39 AM

May 2018
Is he really see a ghost or he just like Okabe Rintaro who has high dilusion? exciting!
Jan 26, 2021 9:17 AM

Sep 2020
Idolish Anohana? lol.
I'll look forward this show. Cute girls + music + drama seems a pretty good combination.

Feb 3, 2021 2:47 PM

Oct 2015
Good pilot episode, reminds me a lot of cross game's first episode. Saw that coming a mile away but it was still good nonetheless, really sets the tone as to what type of show this is going to be.
Feb 9, 2021 12:22 AM

Apr 2011
Its the first episode and it already hit us with tragedy. When the MC sent off the girls and said to Mana while it pan out to the moon got me worried. But a sudden death? I thought it'll be a car accident. Hmm...

Anyway, its not so bad. The dancing in OP looks good. Its interesting enough to watch the next. The more idol anime is good, but its kinda starting to feel boring for me.

I'll be checking out Gekidol as well.

Feb 21, 2021 9:00 PM
Dec 2020
Why did Mana Nagase have to die in the beginning. I knew something bad was going to happen when it started to rain but not her dieing. I really wanted to see romance and there relationship grew.
Feb 21, 2021 9:00 PM
Dec 2020
Why did Mana Nagase have to die in the beginning. I knew something bad was going to happen when it started to rain but not her dieing. I really wanted to see romance and there relationship grew.
Mar 9, 2021 1:00 AM
Mob Character C

Oct 2009
I'm ready for the reveal that Mana's ghost is just Makino's hallucinations.
I dunno though.
I'll keep it going. I just don't know how they're going to go about having Mana around still. Like, I wonder what having her around as a ghost would do for the story. All O can think of is just her giving Makino tips to give to the girls and that's it and that'd be a waste of time, so we'll see.

We're idol'd out this season, ha hah.

Enjoy your anime! | Witch Cafe Wisteria
Apr 3, 2021 10:44 PM

Feb 2018
Hold on sec, what the heck, why? Mana must die... I feel that anime has the name "mana" beautiful girl who always dies.
Apr 8, 2021 7:49 PM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
Seems pretty bland and generic. But other than that, no complaints really so far. Can't say that I'm not intrigued enough to keep watching. I do want to see what this is all about. On top of that it just looks really good. The same studio that did assassination classroom, both have crisp and defined animation! Although I thought they weren't going to be using cgi for the concert scenes, but in that ed it kind of looked like cgi. If it was, it was pretty good though ngl. Hoping for mostly just regular non-cgi animation though lol. Just finished watching the first season of zombieland saga and that cgi wasn't atrocious but it still stuck out like a sore thumb. I hope this does a better job, which it seems it will be doing. When Mana stepped onto the stage there though, I mean those were some really nice looking panning stills, but I hope it's not all going to be like that though... still I think the best concert scenes come from angel beats. But it's still too early to judge, heck we don't even know what the story really is about at this point.

So far it seems like it's just going to be a painfully mediocre OKAY anime. But I hope it ends up being more than that, fingers crossed.

NYANPASU
whiskey tango foxtrot

Apr 10, 2021 5:47 PM

Nov 2009
(Just got to this series as I try to marathon through bunch of previous season's series while next season is starting, lol)

But from episode 1, this series felt a bit... awkward? not really sure how to describe it, but it feels off somehow. (maybe it's cause of the sudden death out of no where, or the dude suddenly able to see a Ghost after 3 years, or the dude took another 2 years before he made progress, or for 5 years he has no other idols in his production? how is the production studio even still there with no funds? is the dude rich?)

The art quality is pretty good tho, even tho it's mostly Flashback style like a BW movie.

I read some of the other early episode thread (don't want to read too much and spoil myself), and ppls say it gets better, so guess I'll try and marathon through this today. (unless it gets weird half way... then I go to next series, lol)
amlgApr 10, 2021 5:58 PM
Nothing Written Here But Us Anime Bunnies *boing boing boing*
May 14, 2021 9:33 AM
Jan 2016
Dropped. Because the manager is a boy.... Nonononooo
Aug 8, 2021 3:56 PM
Sep 2019
I just started watching it. and what I got, a very good start, which ended up tragically. why??!! why??!!
Oct 31, 2021 10:55 AM

Mar 2020
Stupidest first episode I've ever seen. Why even bother showing that stuff when you're just rushing through it with no suspense?
Dec 18, 2021 2:39 PM
Jun 20, 2022 2:45 PM

Aug 2017
I don't like the car wreck and death trope.

But, the ghost seems unique.
Jun 20, 2022 2:50 PM

Aug 2017
Syureria said:
Hold on sec, what the heck, why? Mana must die... I feel that anime has the name "mana" beautiful girl who always dies.
People spam the magic attacks and the mana runs out
Aug 30, 2022 12:10 PM
May 2021
tbh pretty cliche dark backstory but it is what it is ig 🤷‍♀️
Oct 5, 2022 7:19 PM
May 2019
cxttqn said:
tbh pretty cliche dark backstory but it is what it is ig 🤷‍♀️

The VA for Mana died after doing this role so it makes it more dark
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Idoly Pride Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 28, 2021

76 by Viok »»
Aug 25, 3:22 AM

Poll: » Idoly Pride Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 14, 2021

31 by Viok »»
Aug 23, 10:20 AM

Poll: » Idoly Pride Episode 2 Discussion

Ellenwitch - Jan 17, 2021

36 by ZeroNoColor »»
Feb 19, 8:49 AM

Poll: » Idoly Pride Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 21, 2021

31 by CrazyButNot4U »»
Nov 15, 2023 3:14 AM

Poll: » Idoly Pride Episode 9 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 7, 2021

35 by CrazyButNot4U »»
Nov 15, 2023 1:54 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.