Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
KATANAGATARI
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (13) « First ... « 10 11 [12] 13 »
Aug 15, 2017 2:20 PM

Sep 2015
Togame was absolutely precious. She deserved the world and got a bullet. And that's always going to sting a little about the ending to this series. I don't know how much I believe the cold heartless shit she was saying on her deathbed. We saw her freaking out over her feelings for Shichika alone too many times. For me to believe it was all just a calculated act. I think she was Lassieing Shichika. On some "Go on, get out of here. Can't you see I don't want you anymore?" shit. At least a little bit.

However you interpret their final scene I was moved. Nisioisin would make her last words take up roughly half of a 50 minute episode. And I was almost crying multiple times over here my dudes. I think what makes the turn of events hurt the most is the intent behind it. A major point of Katanagatari is the rejection of honor and duty in favor of self love and exploration. Neither Shichika or Togame can make that jump at first. They're too caught up in their respective training and desire for revenge. But they taught each other to love one another and live for themselves along the way. And it's the ultimate tragedy of the series that Togame can't fully make the switch until it's too late. Her quest for revenge has burned her light out. Like Shichika said, "You shouldn't have had to die to realize that." But people do all the time, and so did she.

After that absolutely heart ripping "Do you mind if I fall for you," the episode is pure adrenaline fueled destruction. Watching him destroy everything they'd built over 11 hours in the span of 15 minutes was pretty damn awesome. And one of several places this felt like the writing to a video game just for the record. (Purely in plot obviously no video game would have this dialogue/action ratio). There was rage, a whole lot sadness and against all odds humor in that final showdown. And in some ways I think it defines the series.

I don't know how I felt about the end. I loved Shichika symbolically and literally destroying the corrupt feudal system, that destroyed his lover's entire life. I loved the idea of History correcting itself with much of this coup de grace being Shikizaki Kiki's very long sleeper plan. And part being adlibbed and changed to meet the situation. But I'm not sure how I felt about the Hime and Shichika being traveling buddies at the end. Felt very sudden even if the reveal Hime secretly liked Togame was actually fairly well tracked. But it got me right in the feels when Shichika apologized for being unable to follow her last order to forget her. And it was so god damn sweet to me that even in the post credit scene he kept that lock of her hair in his belt. What a long a grueling journey this anime was. And I don't think I'll forget it anytime soon. 10/10.
SubscriberSunAug 15, 2017 2:25 PM
Aug 27, 2017 12:04 PM
Aug 2015
The tower part was just like the Spongebob Karate Island Episode ;-;
Soo weird to watch while thinking about it........

Still this last EP was awesome af, Shichika in his best form lol
And nice ending, hanging out with Hitei? Well, why not

Is he now trying to draw a map or spreading 'cheerio', didn't quite get it.
And did they ever say what was up with Togame's eye?
Guess I'll never know..!

I really was hesitant if I should watch this series cuz of the art style, but no regrets now.
Good that I didn't start it when it was airing, I would have to wait about a year, unbearable for me haha, watched in 2 days now.

I'll give it a 9/10 got a bit weird somewhere a few ep's before the end lmao

Ps: rip maniwani, you never stood a chance
Kat0211Aug 27, 2017 12:09 PM
Sep 13, 2017 8:33 AM

Oct 2015
I loved this anime until he killed his sister Nanami, I never cared when he killed all those people in fact it was fun but not Nanami. Also when Togame died I was saddened too, I wish she didn't have to instead it should have been him That Yasuri guy. Although he impressed me in the castle when he broke those swords but it wasn't enough to make out the flaw of the story. from 9/10 at the beginning to 5/10 in the end ( that scar on his left is so cool)
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Sep 16, 2017 1:01 AM

Oct 2015
TheFahrenheit said:
Would Togame still really have killed him even after all that? Considering her personality during the series, even though she may originally had planned to kill him and had shut off her emotions due to her past, i cant help but think that these words are more meant to make him move on or something while also holding some truth in it. I cant imagine the scenario of her killing him at the end of their journey actually happening.

Also, i am a bit confused about Hitei's character, could someone explain the whole deal with her? What exactly was her aim up until the end of the series?

I'm 100% with you on the first paragraph. If Togame survived, she would have either lived with Shichika, or killed him along with herself, since she harbored 2 strong opposing emotions. I mean she was crying at the mere thought of his going lovey-dovey with Kiguchi! Yet her desire to fulfill her vengeance was so immense and twisted, that it manifested itself as a curse. Her entire life was a dedication to her memories of her father and family (I don't remember why her father considered killing her, or in which ways she posed a threat to his plan)

Her asking Shichika to forgive Hitei may indicate that her willingness to kill him was still going fairly strong. Though nobody knows how things would have turned out, and that's partially the beauty of it..

As for Hitei... It's been ages since I watched Katangatari but if memory serves me right, Hitei followed through her ancestors' legacy and tried to keep the history changed at ANY cost (This includes maintaining a dictatorship, and playing with people's fates and lives) as an attempt to avoid a world war. She was unaware that her friend and rival, Togame, was in fact princess Yosha, who is the daughter and last remnant of the group that sought to restore history back to its natural path.

Togame's obsession to avenge her father and kill the shogun were in line with her father's will. Shichika fulfilled both her father and her own wish, rendering Hitei's attempts fruitless.

Hitei's death would have been pointless, as she is just another tool, a cog wheel in something much bigger. Shichika went and destroyed the system itself. In addition to feeling genuinely thankful for Hitei killing her, Togame didn't wish for Shichika to inherit any of her negative traits, which is in this case "revenge"

Togame is such an interesting character. I had a love-hate thing for her until her revelations. It made me re-evaluate things and see some of her earlier actions in a different light, ultimately making her one of my favorite female characters in anime.

SubscriberSun said:
Togame was absolutely precious. She deserved the world and got a bullet. And that's always going to sting a little about the ending to this series. I don't know how much I believe the cold heartless shit she was saying on her deathbed. We saw her freaking out over her feelings for Shichika alone too many times. For me to believe it was all just a calculated act. I think she was Lassieing Shichika. On some "Go on, get out of here. Can't you see I don't want you anymore?" shit. At least a little bit.

It's like a mixture of wanting him to move on, and the exaggeration of her remaining negative feelings towards him that somewhat persisted in her.

I'm definitely in the opinion that she truly loved him, and would have never brought herself to kill him, regardless of her original plans or how strong that white snake curse was. And Shichika is aware of that.
TogameCheerioSep 16, 2017 2:01 AM
Sep 20, 2017 6:15 AM

Oct 2012
Kinda have mixed feeling about the ending
Oh well it was pretty enjoyable overall
"Signature removed"
Sep 22, 2017 9:14 AM

Oct 2015
lihle808 said:
I loved this anime until he killed his sister Nanami, I never cared when he killed all those people in fact it was fun but not Nanami. Also when Togame died I was saddened too, I wish she didn't have to instead it should have been him That Yasuri guy. Although he impressed me in the castle when he broke those swords but it wasn't enough to make out the flaw of the story. from 9/10 at the beginning to 5/10 in the end ( that scar on his left is so cool)

Different strokes for different folks! I personally really liked the series and the majority of its characters. I know how you feel about Nanami's death though... it actually depressed me to the point of dropping the series for a whole week lol.

Nanami had a sinister side. The way she tried to gently thank her brother, and it accidentally came out as "good job killing me!" as she wore an evil smirk... was heartbreaking.
Sep 22, 2017 4:52 PM

Oct 2015
TogameCheerio said:
lihle808 said:

Different strokes for different folks! I personally really liked the series and the majority of its characters. I know how you feel about Nanami's death though... it actually depressed me to the point of dropping the series for a whole week lol.

Nanami had a sinister side. The way she tried to gently thank her brother, and it accidentally came out as "good job killing me!" as she wore an evil smirk... was heartbreaking.
I get it, I really loved that character and Togame their deaths killed my love for the show for me.

I still say if Yasuri died I would have tolerated it instead of those girls
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Oct 9, 2017 11:26 AM

Dec 2013
The last 2 episodes got me in my feels. While I do feel the ending could've been a little better I really enjoyed it all the way through
Oct 13, 2017 4:54 AM

Jul 2016
Now that was a really unpredictable turn of events coming from an anime with a super predictable premise of hunting 1 katana every episode.
Katanagatari was really impressive through the whole ride. Never losing its main focus that was "What do you fight for?". I'll never be sure what Shichika really fought for as it gradually changed, but that's the best part for me, trying to realize everyone's ambiguous reasons to participate in this story.
I also really loved how this story was never really too focused on the action itself but in the act of preparing every scheme and strategy and moving all around Japan to get to the epic conclusion.
I'll give it an 8/10 for now, but this has the potential to get a little higher as I plan to eventually rewatch this.
Futari wa Milky Holmes was a mistake
Yoshii did nothing wrong

Oct 24, 2017 10:58 AM

Sep 2010
Sabi Hakuhei battle.. where xd
Oct 25, 2017 11:09 AM
Oct 2017
Well, that was great journey for a year. A bit sadistic, but I wish I got to see this in it's broadcast order, one per month. Either way, Cheerio! *^-^/
Dec 13, 2017 1:15 PM

Jun 2016
Definitely one of the best endings in an anime. Looking back from the start, you can tell how every episode builds up the tension for the next one, until that fighting climax at the castle.
***roaming the vast anime universe***
Jan 25, 2018 9:29 AM

Jul 2010
Literally the only complaint I have is that he's with that princess at the end.
She got Togame killed and he still kept her around?
Total BS for me.
Jan 29, 2018 12:00 AM
Nov 2017
8thSin said:
A very strong concluding episode for a great series. Hakari, the Scale was the funniest cut of the series.
神回認定!

He's traveling with Hitei because she's a stalker, and he needs financial help spreading "Cheerio!" with the wrong meaning.
this opened my eyes and made me appreciate the anime even more, thank you.
Jan 30, 2018 9:36 PM

Feb 2012
Togame's death is one of the most brilliant deaths I've seen in anime, because it causes the audience to attempt to deny reality in order to believe in something that is clearly fiction. Togame meant everything she said when she died, and the evidence is clear from the beginning. The evidence is her white hair and her snake eye. She was clearly possessed by a desire for revenge from the very beginning, and the symbolism showed that was an integral part to her. Hell, the very first ninja we see tells us this information in the first episode. Togame confirms she would never waiver from her goal when she talked to the sage. Her love may be real, but everything will be sacrificed to achieve her goal. We only hear her unfiltered words once the snake disappears. I don't think true love was going to win this fight.
Feb 3, 2018 7:14 PM

Jul 2015
HOW COULD YOU AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Feb 12, 2018 6:24 PM
Oct 2017
I am not certain if I enjoyed the last episode that much; "epic" might be correct within the context of the series, although Togame's fate was recklessly sad, and as a whole, the narrator's epilogue (not Shichika's or any character's) sounded defeatist in more than one way. That being said, however, Katanagatari was an usual and, for the most part, enjoyable experience. Occasionally, some of the episodes seemed slightly unfocused, although, focus, as the series seems to suggest, is out of whack and suspect in more than just a critical point in life or destiny (or a sword fight, for that matter). The original narration, on the other hand, was a great exercise in Japanese archaic idiom - for those of us who watch anime for its language, in addition to its stories, visuals, and "unique feel", it was at times a humbling experience.
Feb 17, 2018 2:56 PM
Nov 2009
OMFG, I started sobbing at the end of 11 and didn't stop until 12 was over. I loved this anime, and 12 was masterfully done but I hated how sad it made me.
Feb 18, 2018 11:57 AM

May 2017
What would have made this better was if when he killed the emperor, he brought the entire damn building down on them all...killing everyone in it, including himself and Hitei. I just don't like the fact that they let Hitei live... I'm ok with the bit of him being alive at the end, but that bitch needed to go....and while I get cheery endings aren't the best always (even though they make you feel good)....the in between win for me on that was to take everyone in that damn castle out, and in that moment of complete annihilation of all those bastards (and the fact that he too is going to die from 1) his many wounds and 2) also being in the building when it comes down)....he goes out with a bang....taking himself and everyone with him.....to the tune of "CHEERIO!!!"

....that would have been the ultimate ending. Was ok as it is, but they DEF should have at least killed that other bitch princess.....at least.
Apr 10, 2018 12:44 AM

Feb 2017
After all that rough journey, it has come to an end

Timeless favorite! Cheerio!
May 3, 2018 5:48 PM

Aug 2007
I don't think... I understand the appeal of this anime.
It wasn't exactly terrible, but without Nanami and some parts with Togame, I don't think I would have it enjoyed it very much.
The last episode was pretty good, in terms of right amount of hard-hitting action, and the death and explanation of Togame was heart felt... I wish the whole anime was like this.

But Shichika was just... so freaking boring? He was pretty awesome at the end, after Togame's death "released him from his orders" but arggg... It didn't make up for the fact I felt no feelings towards him.

I felt a lot of dialogue was unnecessary. I love talking, like parts that were the history of the sword or background of the characters, or even Togame's death scene, but the chatter between characters was empty. I didn't really the chemistry, or lack of, between really any two characters, and I think this is the crux of why I failed to enjoy it -- I didn't have any real attachment to anyone or anything for the most part. There some episodes that dragged for the whole duration.

It was a pretty mixed bag. A couple episodes were really good, most painfully average, and a couple were bland. 5/10

May 6, 2018 9:57 AM
Aug 2012
Although so many deaths that were quite harsh, the ending was open and that is very thought-provoking and touching part of this anime...I enjoyed every episode but in last seeing this real Shichika was kinda the most memorable moment
May 11, 2018 11:49 AM
Nov 2017
Anime logic:
1st: Create Over Powered MC
2nd: Create beautiful female Mc
3rd: They both enter a mutual relationship
4th: Girl dies in the end

WTF is the point of being so godamn strong?!! Almost every anime with op mc i know of ends up being pathetic and useless. Aside from Goku and Yuu Otosaka (Charlotte) and Hei (DTB) and Lelouch these guys are BadAsses.

When will i see an anime where the male mc actually dies for the girl? That would be F'n legendary epic. That way he can be legitimately be called a F'n HERO that will be remembered for all eternity.
WasakaneneMay 11, 2018 12:05 PM
May 17, 2018 5:53 AM

Aug 2015
First of all even though it was somehow already implied by Koumori in the 1st ep about who Togame really is but for some reason I still wish that all Togame was saying on that scene was a load of bullcrap. Just seeing Shichika in pain made me cried like a little bitch for that, I will give it a plus to the voice acting since it's on point and for making me feel a little bitch. That just goes to show how ironic this show is that at the end of the journey, the sword Shichika changed so much but the user itself which is Togame isn't.

Just seeing the Maniwani clan being massacred like that made me changed my view on them and wish that at least a single person survive. I actually really felt bad for this poor fodders ninjas now without memeing.

Finishing the battle with Cheerio is a cherry on top to this episode, just bad ass and at the same time at least chuckle me a bit on that episode for the Shogun to experience that kind of shit. Lastly good to see at the end somehow Shichika travel all around Japan just as what he and Togame promised T_T.

Overall, after watching episode 11 & this episode twice due to impulsive watch on these 2 on my first try due to that cliffhanger on 11, I really enjoyed the hell out of it while at the same time contemplate myself as I tortured my way on repeating these 2 episodes just to rub salt into my wound haha that just goes to show how I'm really invested in this series. Thanks show and CHEERIO!!!!!!
Aug 12, 2018 4:42 AM

May 2016
Even if Togame could've used the time she used up to utter her last words to seek medical attention with Shichika, she decided to stay put and be honest with her feelings and intentions to him one last time. She probably figured that even if she went to the doctor, she would've died of complications and wouldn't be able to properly deliver her last words and requests.

The traitorous white snake of deception and vengeance was deeply ingrained in her being the moment she saw her father die at the hands of Shichika's and would haunt her until death, forcing her to go through every action in cold and calculating detail, but with these two shots of mercy given by Emonzaemon, she wouldn't have to go through the burden of betraying and disposing the one she loves because the moment the Shogunate receives all 12 blades means that she'll most likely be never be able to travel across Japan with all the new duties from the definite promotion she'll get. In the end, I still cried though ;~;

Facing off with the wielders of all 12 Deviant Blades ever made, quickly analyzing their weakness to destroy each weapon, and dispatching of the user in different ways varying in brutality were the things Shichika did that made me gaze in shock and awe as I witnessed the Perfected Blade's true power. With the exception of the Scale's wielder she's very lucky to have weighed the possible outcomes, everyone else was killed. I would've liked to think that the ones that just got melee-d by him would survive but he had the strength to shatter Zettou Kanna. That fight with Emonzaemon is describable beyond words. It was so awesome, I was practically glued at the screen in anticipation~

By destroying the Deviant Blades and killing the Emperor with one last Cheerio, he changed history by erasing these weapons from existence and put the age of Sword and Man to an end. If those weapons survived to the fated day which was most likely the WW2 period, Imperial Japan probably would've ruled the world and history would've definitely have been rewritten.

Shichika didn't die in what was supposed to be his final battle despite disobeying every single one of the initial orders Togame gave in the start of the journey so he just became a wanderer, traversing the land carrying out her two final wishes with map and incorrectly-defined expressions in hand. Hitei even tagged along unexpectedly with a new haircut, cheery like never before. Without all that Shogunate drama revolving around the two princesses, both Hitei and Togame can now be in peace. It would've been nice if he had managed to speak to Togame beyond the grave at the end...

Sep 30, 2018 10:52 PM

Jul 2014
Can someone explain wtf happened?? So the princess murdered Togame and he just ends up traveling around with her at the end LIKE SHE DIDN'T KILL TOGAME?! And why did she even have to kill Togame?! Loved this anime so much until the 11th episode, than I thought "well at least he'll murder that annoying princess and get revenge." But nope! He just decides to kill the shogun for some reason and not only lets the princess live but FUCKING ADOPT HER INTO HIS PARTY?!
Life is something that can never be lived twice. Even this pointless act will eventually end. And while thinking that one day, I'll surely regret its end.
Oct 2, 2018 8:01 PM
Sep 2017
Beautiful episode, although Togame's death was incredibly sad. Even so, the imagery and animation was still breathtakingly beautiful...and the final battle and the buildup to it was positively glorious...I'm giving this a 10/10 for sure

Oct 6, 2018 11:02 PM

Dec 2016
Hoooooooooly Fuck
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Oct 9, 2018 12:29 AM

Mar 2017
I don't understand it at all. What was his plan? To alter history in order to make Japan ready for WW2? But then why was the false shogunate installed in the first place or was that the correct one? Why was Yasuri supposed to get to the top of the tower killing everyone? And why didn't the plan work after he killed the shogun? I don't even know why Togame was collecting the swords in the first place anymore.
Oct 22, 2018 1:56 PM

May 2018
This series had its moments, and was pretty sound overall. The ending made it clear that none of the three principal characters actually learned anything (with Shichika's failure to abate a crisis being the biggest turn-off), which I felt undid a significant portion of the impact the series could have had. Could have been an 8 or 9, but the last episode brought it down to a 7 for me.
Harem is the opiate of the Anime fandom masses.
Jan 14, 2019 4:56 PM

Jul 2017
I dont understand this fucking anime (and not because I dont understand the plot or narrative - I do) and I dont understand anyone that could rate this fucking trainwreck so highly. Holy crap. I do not even know where to begin.

The dialogue in this anime is clunky, it truly is. I suppose people that praise it can't see it, because it's wordy and therefore unique? I truly don't understand.

The voice acting was terrible with some characters, like Maniwa Koumori. I'm sorry, but thats the truth.

The characters were staged to be somewhat significant, yet they're the exact opposite. Maniwa Corps fucking dressed as animal plushies, and they kept trying to force them into the story, despite how irrelevant they really are. Remember that 'Insect Squad' fight with Nanami? What the FUCK was that? That was so cringey I almost had to skip the entire episode, seriously. Did they seriously think we could care for those characters? That dialogue between Mitsubachi and Chou-chou, jesus?? How can we possibly care if he's going to get married? And Maniwa 'Pengin' ???????? Not only he's fucking horrid to hear, all he did in the end was throw a fucking bouncy ball across the room, and don't even get me started on his supposed 'superpower'......GOOD LUCK???? Good luck, which was terminated within 2 minutes by a fucking gun???????????????????????? I'm not sure what the designers think they're trying to accomplish with those costumes, anyways.

The anime didn't manage to hook me emotionally whatsoever, despite having fucking 50 minutes per episode. I could not emphasize with the characters at all, and even when Togame died I was hugely annoyed in a negative way so to speak, and not one bit of attachment to her. She was cute , cheerio and all. I liked scenes where she was wrapped up all over Shichika. But that death scene?????? What???? Maybe that started with Shichika just deciding that he suddenly loves Togame???? (Although I'm aware that thats because he doesnt understand love). He killed his sister as if it was another bandit, jesus holy fucking christ.

The fight scenes suck as well? Or am I seeing things? The only half decent one was probably the fight with the Mechanical Doll. The next best thing was a terribly rounded up fight with Uneri Ginkaku. All the fights were over simplistic and out of place, hell, they were spitting bars and giving speeches during mid-air fights. That last episode, with him ascending a level everytime he killed someone ---- the concept is there, but surely it couldve went into a better direction? After all, Shichika ends each one of them with one move? Fighting became obsolete at that point. If we know the end result already, at least make it enjoyable to watch.

To put the perfect icing on the cake, Hitei decides, okay Emonzaemon go pull up and fucking shoot Togame.

And for what??????

For what???????????

Not only was it a poorly executed scene, it was fucking unsatisfying as a viewer. I can't be the only one. Whatever justifications you try, it must've been unsatisfying for you as well. After all, Emonzaemon just decides to literally fucking pull up and put bullets through Togame. Jesus, fucking christ.

And in the very end, Hitei decides to partner up with Shichika????? How the fuck did he not kill that woman????????????????????????? Also, there was no way Togame was going to 'kill' Shichika in the end, what the fuck, am I supposed to believe that? Why would they make her say that extremely unsatisfying line in her extremely fucking long death speech? What the fuck is that all about? Still about revenge??? What the fuck was character and relationship development for??

You could've skipped episodes 2-11 and still get the full' enjoyment' of the anime, truly. Truly. You could've just watched episode one, thinking "hang on if this anime is going to be 50 mins per episode, I'm truly in for a journey" but trust me, if you jumped from episode one to episode twelve, youre losing NOTHING.

Fucking disappointment. I gave it a 4/10 purely due to it's art style, attempt to be original (which spirals into a shit stank trainwreck) including episode length, because I love depictions of ancient-Japan and its rich history; and last but not least for making me mad enough to write something like this, it really has been a while. But that is because in the first episode, I really felt like there was something to this anime. That it has a fantastic potential, after all, its rated 8.43 and Samurai Champloo is rated at 8.50 on this website. It HAS to be good, right? Really is, it enrages me so much because this anime could've become a truly special one.

In the end, Katanagatari to me is like a set of 12 bitter pills of medicine thats forcefully shoved down a perfectly healthy person's throat.

And it takes 50 minutes to shove each pill down at that as well. You either become sicker (like me) or nothing happens at all in the end, yet you suffer as its forced down your throat. This anime just doesn't make sense to me.
glavojpJan 14, 2019 5:16 PM
Feb 12, 2019 10:26 PM
Dec 2015
Who is the yellow bob hair with ichika in the end
Feb 21, 2019 7:53 PM

Dec 2015
"Kimi no Shiranai Nisio"
Mar 22, 2019 10:06 AM

Dec 2015
That last pairing.... travelling with hitei hime is certainly not what i expected . It was my unsatisfactory ok that part but oh well. Togame died as well damn...
Was a great ride for me. Few things that i didnt like were probably maniwani with their absurd ninpo lel. Weird costumes, and they’re just there to die.
ExeternaMar 22, 2019 10:15 AM
Apr 19, 2019 5:22 AM

May 2015
I've got to be honest this last episode felt really unsatisfying.

They did the whole journey just for A Togome to die then B all the swords they collected to be broken anyway.

Togome dying at the beginning of the episode also felt a bit odd as well. I think it would have been better if they just had her die at the end against the other princess of something. Would have been a better send off then just he gets angry, kills everyone then goes on a journey with the same person that ordered her death.

Overall good series with an unsatisfying ending very disappointing.
Yuritopia FTW!!!!!!!!! BANZAI TO YURI !!!!!!!!!!!!
Apr 19, 2019 5:36 AM

May 2015
glaviojp said:
I dont understand this fucking anime (and not because I dont understand the plot or narrative - I do) and I dont understand anyone that could rate this fucking trainwreck so highly. Holy crap. I do not even know where to begin.

The dialogue in this anime is clunky, it truly is. I suppose people that praise it can't see it, because it's wordy and therefore unique? I truly don't understand.

The voice acting was terrible with some characters, like Maniwa Koumori. I'm sorry, but thats the truth.

The characters were staged to be somewhat significant, yet they're the exact opposite. Maniwa Corps fucking dressed as animal plushies, and they kept trying to force them into the story, despite how irrelevant they really are. Remember that 'Insect Squad' fight with Nanami? What the FUCK was that? That was so cringey I almost had to skip the entire episode, seriously. Did they seriously think we could care for those characters? That dialogue between Mitsubachi and Chou-chou, jesus?? How can we possibly care if he's going to get married? And Maniwa 'Pengin' ???????? Not only he's fucking horrid to hear, all he did in the end was throw a fucking bouncy ball across the room, and don't even get me started on his supposed 'superpower'......GOOD LUCK???? Good luck, which was terminated within 2 minutes by a fucking gun???????????????????????? I'm not sure what the designers think they're trying to accomplish with those costumes, anyways.

The anime didn't manage to hook me emotionally whatsoever, despite having fucking 50 minutes per episode. I could not emphasize with the characters at all, and even when Togame died I was hugely annoyed in a negative way so to speak, and not one bit of attachment to her. She was cute , cheerio and all. I liked scenes where she was wrapped up all over Shichika. But that death scene?????? What???? Maybe that started with Shichika just deciding that he suddenly loves Togame???? (Although I'm aware that thats because he doesnt understand love). He killed his sister as if it was another bandit, jesus holy fucking christ.

The fight scenes suck as well? Or am I seeing things? The only half decent one was probably the fight with the Mechanical Doll. The next best thing was a terribly rounded up fight with Uneri Ginkaku. All the fights were over simplistic and out of place, hell, they were spitting bars and giving speeches during mid-air fights. That last episode, with him ascending a level everytime he killed someone ---- the concept is there, but surely it couldve went into a better direction? After all, Shichika ends each one of them with one move? Fighting became obsolete at that point. If we know the end result already, at least make it enjoyable to watch.

To put the perfect icing on the cake, Hitei decides, okay Emonzaemon go pull up and fucking shoot Togame.

And for what??????

For what???????????

Not only was it a poorly executed scene, it was fucking unsatisfying as a viewer. I can't be the only one. Whatever justifications you try, it must've been unsatisfying for you as well. After all, Emonzaemon just decides to literally fucking pull up and put bullets through Togame. Jesus, fucking christ.

And in the very end, Hitei decides to partner up with Shichika????? How the fuck did he not kill that woman????????????????????????? Also, there was no way Togame was going to 'kill' Shichika in the end, what the fuck, am I supposed to believe that? Why would they make her say that extremely unsatisfying line in her extremely fucking long death speech? What the fuck is that all about? Still about revenge??? What the fuck was character and relationship development for??

You could've skipped episodes 2-11 and still get the full' enjoyment' of the anime, truly. Truly. You could've just watched episode one, thinking "hang on if this anime is going to be 50 mins per episode, I'm truly in for a journey" but trust me, if you jumped from episode one to episode twelve, youre losing NOTHING.

Fucking disappointment. I gave it a 4/10 purely due to it's art style, attempt to be original (which spirals into a shit stank trainwreck) including episode length, because I love depictions of ancient-Japan and its rich history; and last but not least for making me mad enough to write something like this, it really has been a while. But that is because in the first episode, I really felt like there was something to this anime. That it has a fantastic potential, after all, its rated 8.43 and Samurai Champloo is rated at 8.50 on this website. It HAS to be good, right? Really is, it enrages me so much because this anime could've become a truly special one.

In the end, Katanagatari to me is like a set of 12 bitter pills of medicine thats forcefully shoved down a perfectly healthy person's throat.

And it takes 50 minutes to shove each pill down at that as well. You either become sicker (like me) or nothing happens at all in the end, yet you suffer as its forced down your throat. This anime just doesn't make sense to me.

Completely agree with you. I did think however it was a good series overall just that nothing was achieved and they killed one of the main characters with seemingly ease and then the main character goes off with his lovers killer.

Yuritopia FTW!!!!!!!!! BANZAI TO YURI !!!!!!!!!!!!
May 5, 2019 11:12 AM

Jul 2016
I really liked this series, but the ending was very satisfying.

Also I was hoping Shichika was going to kill Hitei, but he didn't? I didn't like Hitei but that's just me.
Also Togome didn't deserve to die.
And I'm totally all for Sachika x Togome.
May 16, 2019 4:48 PM

Jul 2010
Rewatched this week. It was as good as I remember.

I really like the formulaic content. Alternate history stuff is kind of unexpected and is a good twist imo.

I can't watch one Bakemonogatari episode without falling asleep mid-episode. I find it very overrated. But I really like Katanagatari. I wonder why they are so different even though the writing is pretty much same.
Jun 10, 2019 1:01 AM
Oct 2015
Oonokami said:
Rewatched this week. It was as good as I remember.

I really like the formulaic content. Alternate history stuff is kind of unexpected and is a good twist imo.

I can't watch one Bakemonogatari episode without falling asleep mid-episode. I find it very overrated. But I really like Katanagatari. I wonder why they are so different even though the writing is pretty much same.
bakemonogatari has more dialogue comparatively and the character interactions are what make it interesting, if you're attached to the characters you will love it if you're not then you'll hate, regardless love this series but the monogatari is better cause the character writing surpasses it.
Aug 10, 2019 8:16 PM

Sep 2017
Definitely this final episode is tremendous, I think one of the endings that I enjoyed the most and I've seen in an anime

It is a good anime, from the visual, peculiar animation, to its characters that was what I liked most, although its designs are not typical, do not take in getting used to and liking.

The most difficult to follow would be its rhythm, since it has a lot of dialogue and its duration of 50 minutes for each episode, which I think could discourage or tire several to follow it, but I think it is really worth watching this series until its end , and is that uff the final episode I have enjoyed and suffered in a good way... "epic" I think it would be a good word to use.
Sep 8, 2019 9:56 AM

Nov 2016
I'm near speeechless, this was one of the most beautiful and bittersweet finales ever. Togames death and the reveal of her true nature towards Shichika gotta was executed so well contentwise and also visually.

Then we got a some badassness from the unchained Shichika.

And lastly the lesson about the meaning of life which hit hard. So hard that I even teared up once the narrator was done. Previously 8/10, but brilliant finale bumped it up to an 8,5/10.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Sep 22, 2019 1:28 AM

May 2018
Okay this is an amazing episode, save the last for the best. Goodbye Togame, loved her last words for Shichika. As well as the other sword holders, goodbye. Don't know but I literally laugh at the 10th sword holder from the castle who can't use the sword because you know it is useless. The fight between Shichika and the 12 swords was amazing, I really loved it. The ending was kinda unexpected, I thought he will kill Hitei but instead she became a girl like Togame, assuming what happened they changed their roles. Togame the princess, and Hitei the strategian. The ending was not fulfilling for everyone, but it was nice. I really love Nisio Isin's works.

Nov 13, 2019 5:51 PM
Feb 2018
I've got a little bit of a love/hate relationship with this anime. episode 1 had me hooked, and I started really getting invested in the characters and I wanted to know all about this world they lived in. towards the end of episode 11 I said to myself "man, I really hope this anime gets another season or a spinoff or something" and then they killed Togame and I just kinda went "...well, I guess that's why there isn't a season 2." I wanted to know what Togame's ultimate goal was, and how she planned on executing it after getting all the swords. but I don't get why they killed off the maniwani, why old characters (like the little mountain girl) didn't really make another appearance, I don't understand that last bit with the princess at all, and Togame's death just kind of undid all the work done giving Shichika a heart. they built him up as a human being, only to destroy it all and let him go sicko mode. granted his fighting was epic, and I love the floor boss that didn't die, but man, too much unexplained, too much more to be seen, and they killed the ability to explore that by killing Togame. I fully expected him to go grab the one sword that forced his sister to heal, rush back to Togame, and stab it into her to make her heal. also, I get that she's weak and all, but if she took a couple bullets, that didn't hit her vitals, and he took many bullets, hitting him all over, I mean come on, how is he alive, and she dead? I guess I'm used to all the "but wait! she's not ACTUALLY dead!" thing that so many shows do, but like, it seemed like a good fit here. if he beat the sword guys, broke all of them but the healing one, and rushed back to save Togame, that would have still been epic, and the series could have continued. but I guess I'm just sitting here like a kid begging for another piece of candy. I dunno, the ending just made me sad, and it made me sad for like, this whole day. never has an anime made me this sad in the end. there are definitely other anime I'd much rather see get another season, but I just thought this one was on a roll.
Dec 11, 2019 6:45 PM

Aug 2017
I bingewatched half of the anime today and I must say it.....It was worth it.

8/10 for the anime.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
May 26, 2020 7:18 PM
Aug 2019
No matter what people say, the ending to this was very emotional, and Togame's death really do add to the mourning, I mean, it leaves like a whole in the feels, like how shichika probably felt. His fighting really showed what he was capable. 9.5/10 much good
Jun 1, 2020 5:09 AM
Sep 2019
Well, it's 2020 and I've just finished Katanagatari. What can I say, watching a year-long experience for many in such a short timespan as I watched it in made me reflect more about the ending. Many of you had to go through a whole year to reach this ending. Anyway, considering that, I liked this anime a lot. The ending was sad with Togame's death, and the NTR with Hitei felt out of place even though I like her, I miss Togame. Loved the story though and I have an alternate universe in my heart where Togame was able to have the "happily ever after" ending.
Jun 5, 2020 8:07 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
An absolutely masterpiece everything was great 10/10
Jun 7, 2020 6:44 PM
Mar 2016
glavojp said:

And for what??????

For what???????????

Thanks for putting this into words.

I could tell as soon as they did the hand holding and 'lets make a map' shit that they were going to try to hit the viewer with feels afterwards. And forget a doctor, why wasnt his first thought when she was dying to get Akuto Bita and heal her wounds? Did we just conveniently forget about the power of the swords they had collected?

Not like she was a deep character that i deeply cared about, but come on man. You love this person and youre just gonna sit there and accept her death?

i did like that they involved some history and a perspective on the shogunate and future invasion of the country, i always like seeing the japanese view of history in anime. But characters were pretty unsatisfying.
Jul 6, 2020 5:19 AM

Apr 2014
Im really not sure I get the ending... at all. Like what was the point of killing the Shogun? Literally the only thing we knew about him was that his government managed to maintain a peaceful country.

Right at the start, we saw the blood soaking through Togame's clothes from nothing like three separate times. That just came across as lazy to me and really took me out of the scene.

Similar story for how the fight with Emonzaemon was animated. An extended period of the fight was just ... I dont know if this trope has a name, but coloured flashes allegedly produced by hand movement, its some Dragon Ball Super tier shit. Not only is it lazy and underwhelming from an animation perspective, it also robs the fight of any tension, because literally nothing matters moment to moment. Its just filler. That entire section could have been removed from the episode, and it would have been better for it.

If I sound harsh on the show, its only because I loved it enough to be bothered by these things. But like... a low 8 is definitely where it belongs IMO.
Jul 7, 2020 12:40 PM

Mar 2012
I don't get it. Many of the stuff just flew over my head and I feel inexcusably stupid. Still a cute and fun ride so all's good I guess
Pages (13) « First ... « 10 11 [12] 13 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Katanagatari Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Hatsuyuki - Sep 11, 2012

143 by dspr »»
May 23, 5:37 AM

Poll: » Katanagatari Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

removed-user - Jan 25, 2010

334 by dspr »»
May 20, 8:26 AM

Poll: » Katanagatari Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

stevewiess01 - Jul 9, 2010

225 by valennienana »»
Apr 25, 7:04 AM

Poll: » Katanagatari Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Hana-kei - Apr 16, 2010

420 by valennienana »»
Apr 22, 6:30 AM

Poll: » Katanagatari Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

removed-user - Feb 8, 2010

180 by ariharan_ars »»
Feb 3, 10:31 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.