Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Vinland Saga
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (17) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Dec 29, 2019 1:45 PM
Mar 2019
Okay, this wasn't just the best episode of any anime this season IMO, this is one of the best episodes of ANY anime ever, as far as i'm concerned. Manly tears were shed.
Dec 29, 2019 1:46 PM

Sep 2015
End of Prologue..
The opinions of people with shit taste, such as yourself, may differ of course.
Dec 29, 2019 1:47 PM

May 2018
Gerver said:
End of Prologue..

Now let the Farmland Saga begin!
Dec 29, 2019 1:49 PM
Jul 2019
Regarding Thorfinn's development, he was never going to miraculously develop with Askeladd around. It's expected at this point he'll start to develop, now he lost his ultimate target, and has his life empty with no goals now. That's why I really want to see season 2 and how the mangaka handled this.

This season was all about Askeladd and the rise of Canute, rather then being about Thorfinn. The next arc is supposed to be about how his life will now develop, and if he'll set his eyes on Canute or will decide to give up on the revenge ideas all together.
Dec 29, 2019 1:54 PM

Sep 2019
I'm so glad some fans of the manga convinced me at a local con to pick this up for the summer season. What an outstanding show, holy crap. Truly the saving grace of the second half of 2019 for me.
Dec 29, 2019 2:01 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Thank you WIT Studio for doing a top notch job of adapting one of the best manga ever. Considering the budget available for seinen historical manga, I could not ask for more. Thank you!

LIke Winston said it "Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning." So now I want my goddamn season 2. Anyone know where I can barrage Amazon with requests so they can ask the Japanese production committee if this has a sequel or not?
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Dec 29, 2019 2:04 PM

May 2016
Holy fuck this was intense! I hope we get a second season announce soon, otherwise I won't be able to fight my will to read the manga.
This is definitely my anime of the year.
Dec 29, 2019 2:09 PM

Feb 2015
Ottes said:
My point still stands. You are assigning a lot of things in demographics with these ''this is proper seinen'' or ''*character doing something* is shounen'' as if they were genres. Which they are not.

For someone who's supposedly read the threads you're referencing, you should know I disagree that seinen/shounen are solely demographics. Just asserting that as fact will get you no where and not convey your seemingly non-existent / irrelevant point, which is void considering you obviously don't know or understand what I've said and think.

Since we have do this dance again. A genre is a category based on a collection of characteristics, similarities in subject matter, form, etc. On that basis alone shounen, seinen, etc, have undeniably become genres. And considering they're routinely treated as such by just about every manga and anime aggregators / blogs (be it MAL, Crunchyroll or other), and significant (if not majority) portion of the community in general, your assertion as to what they are or are not, is not absolute. Especially considering words can have multiple meanings.
Dec 29, 2019 2:09 PM
Jun 2019
Here is way, the first payoff of the series. I thought this was an amazing way to end the prologue, and in the turn the first season because it's climatic ending just makes it so you need to see the rest of the story. I'm satisfied with the episode for the most part, but why the hell was one of the CGI landscapes at the end of the episode so poorly rendered? It makes no since, it was a smooth and flat landscape and was pathetic in comparison to the shot of the boat in the ocean immediately after and disappointing compared to the mountain range in the shot before. Overall I loved the episode but having it end with this sour part stick out really upset me. Though this anime and its source material are still both MASTERPIECES. Worthy of my only three shows rated 10/10.
Dec 29, 2019 2:11 PM

Sep 2016
Anime of the Decade no doubt

Dec 29, 2019 2:18 PM

May 2009
Askeladd, you were a damn tyrant, but you went out with a bang! Great decade closure for animé! On to the 2020's!

Thank you all for going through this viking series with me MAL <3
Dec 29, 2019 2:19 PM

Jan 2017
Just wow that eding, those feelings! Askeladd is definitely one of the best anti-hero ever written.

Direct continuation in a form of a movie announced of the official Twitter!
Dec 29, 2019 2:24 PM

Aug 2015
7/10

Most characters acted in a very unnatural and plot induced way (like Canute 180 degrees change of personality, or Thorfinn, who never understood what the hell wanted in life) but Askeladd was definitively the highlight of the series.
Besides that, a so-so story with no real whereabout, or any real sense of progression. The animation was good most of the times but there were a few janky episodes and quite a lot of disgusting CGI (I mean, I didn´t expected anything like SNK, but holy...) and yeah, a regular series with some forgettable characters except for the main 4, which I only like 1.

I really don´t understand the hype or immense "anime of the year" thing.
Dec 29, 2019 2:33 PM

Jan 2014
Ost is so good.

5/5
9/10

Lucius... :(
Taito10Jan 6, 2020 5:07 AM
Dec 29, 2019 2:34 PM
Mar 2019
Pakumen- said:
7/10

Most characters acted in a very unnatural and plot induced way (like Canute 180 degrees change of personality, or Thorfinn, who never understood what the hell wanted in life) but Askeladd was definitively the highlight of the series.
Besides that, a so-so story with no real whereabout, or any real sense of progression. The animation was good most of the times but there were a few janky episodes and quite a lot of disgusting CGI (I mean, I didn´t expected anything like SNK, but holy...) and yeah, a regular series with some forgettable characters except for the main 4, which I only like 1.

I really don´t understand the hype or immense "anime of the year" thing.

Everyone has their opinion, and I respect that. I guess I'm just a little confused about what's not to get in terms of Canute pulling a 180? I highly doubt, he'd ever lost someone that meant so much to him, and to have lost Ragnar, he kinda snapped. Not to mention, in his emotional state, to have Ragnar visit him in his dreams, and the priest in his ear, about the meaning of life. I feel like the reason for his 180 was pretty clearly described, and made a lot of sense.

The same thing kinda goes for Thorfinn, there's a lot of emotion there, during his maturing years. Losing his dad, and longing for revenge, and not being able to reach it, all the way up to Askaladds dying breath.

I didn't feel like there was anything unnatural in either of their instances to be honest. But, that's just my two cents.
Dec 29, 2019 2:42 PM

Nov 2016
I can't say nothing new, This is AOTY for sure, really loved this last episode and I loved Askeladd the whole time, incrdible character right here.
Dec 29, 2019 2:43 PM
Mar 2015
Great ending Sweyn did force Askelaad to act to save Canute and Wales Glad he forced Thorifinn to think about his future as his life was reflected in the falling knife
Dec 29, 2019 2:45 PM

Aug 2015
youdeli2 said:

Everyone has their opinion, and I respect that. I guess I'm just a little confused about what's not to get in terms of Canute pulling a 180? I highly doubt, he'd ever lost someone that meant so much to him, and to have lost Ragnar, he kinda snapped. Not to mention, in his emotional state, to have Ragnar visit him in his dreams, and the priest in his ear, about the meaning of life. I feel like the reason for his 180 was pretty clearly described, and made a lot of sense.

The same thing kinda goes for Thorfinn, there's a lot of emotion there, during his maturing years. Losing his dad, and longing for revenge, and not being able to reach it, all the way up to Askaladds dying breath.

I didn't feel like there was anything unnatural in either of their instances to be honest. But, that's just my two cents.

I knew about Canute´s change of mind, so I was expecting a gradual change, something that could happen since he was introduced to the later episodes and finally being done after the acceptance of dead, and what comes next, but the dude not only lost fear to talk to people, now he stands in front of a sword, takes "revenge" against god, the same thing he was preaching hours before knowing about Conehead being dead, gives messages about what´s right and wrong and control crowds. What, he will now be a skillful sword fighter? Doesn´t make sense.

The same goes for Thorfinn, not only he was stupid enough to being manipulated for years, but also did everything his father told him not to, to then fail on the only thing he wanted. Askeladd was such a troll that he knew the kid will fall onto his mindset, and how´s that Thorfinn couldn´t realize that?
Also I hate pride, to the point of despise it, and that´s the whole thing with Thorfinn, he was so into his own ego that failed into even trying to kill someone, but hey, he can do backflips, naruto runs, fight to the point of equal against Thors, but against Askeladd? Daddy issues.

Dec 29, 2019 2:46 PM

Nov 2019
Well, it turns out they stayed pretty faithful to the manga conclusion after all. Personally, I still wish they hadn't added that subplot with Leif and Thorfinn, since having Thorfinn already considering going to Vinland (which he must have if he accompanied Leif to his boat) somewhat lessens the impact of Askeladd's words to him about him not knowing what to do with his life after Askeladd's death. But other than that, it was a spectacular final episode that beautifully brought to life some of my favorite scenes in fiction in general.

Askeladd's last actions and moments were as amazing as they should be. Loved how, even though he lived such a selfish life, he ended up dying a death similar to Thors', sacrificing himself for those important to him, his king and his countrymen. Indeed, he ended up proving that his loyalty to Canute was genuine, refusing to sacrifice him even for the sake of Wales, and instead kept true to his word and fulfilled the oath he made to him back in episode 19.

There's just something beautiful about someone who had gone as astray as Askeladd being able to do something like that at the end of it all. Not only that, he even used his last breath to try to point Thorfinn in a different direction, so he wouldn't end up the way he did. Absolutely beautiful and heartbreaking scene, with incredible performances from both Uchida Naoya and Uemura Yuto.
Dec 29, 2019 2:49 PM

Oct 2010
Strong hints for another season but nothing announced lol. Really good overall. Fairly unique with great cast of characters and generally great animation (some really bad moments tho). I hope for more
Dec 29, 2019 2:54 PM

Aug 2014
What an amazing ending to the anime. I can't wait for the next season.
Does anyone know where to start reading in the manga?
"Even if it has good reviews, if I don't like it then it is shit"

-Some random anime character
Dec 29, 2019 2:59 PM
Jul 2019
I am honestly not sure if we ever get a season 2 how I will deal with the idea of not having Askeladd around any longer. For me Vinland Saga = Askeladd, will always be like that or at least for a pretty long time, just like how Monster =Johan Libert, Psycho pass = Makishima Shogo, Death Note = L and so on. Askeladd has reached such degree. He's one of the best and most complex characters I have ever witnessed in the medium. Phenomenally written from almost every aspect. It will be pretty hard to imagine a Vinland Saga anime without him anymore, though considering how genius the mangaka has proven himself to be, it won't be a surprise if he had created other brilliant characters in the rest of the manga.
Dec 29, 2019 3:01 PM
Jul 2019
RPWPA said:

Chapter 55 apparently, though I'm not planning to do it at the moment. Gonna wait to see if they are making anoher season or not, as I prefer to experience it in an animated way.
el3melDec 29, 2019 3:04 PM
Dec 29, 2019 3:01 PM

Mar 2014
RPWPA said:

I would recommend reading it all from the start but this episode ends with chapter 54 in the manga.
Dec 29, 2019 3:04 PM
Jul 2018
I had read the manga long before I watched the anime, yet this ending left me flabbergasted. Right near the end, when the music started playing, when the knife was dropping, recapping everything that happened, as the scenery moved to other characters. I literally had goosebumps, and I nearly teared up; not from sadness, but from joy.

I think when we're all kids, there's that one movie/show that we watched that gave us that magical feeling. When I was a kid, it was the film Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron. I think now, as an adult, that story that gave me that magical feeling, especially at the end, is Vinland Saga.

I think Thorfinn's expressions when Askeladd's killed really tells us how he really felt about him: Askeladd wasn't just Thorfinn's target of anger; he was his world. In a weird, twisted way, Askeladd was the closest thing Thorfinn had to a father figure after his actual father died. I loved how when Thorfinn looked at Canute, he's not even angry: he's just...broken. As though his very reality was destroyed. When Thorfinn's carried off by the guards, Thorfinn still tries to get to Askeladd, knowing he's dead...if that doesn't prove that Thorfinn had some attachment to Askeladd, I don't know what does.

After episode 23 came out, manga readers criticized the scene of Leif seeing Thorfinn in his cell, telling him to come to Vinland with him. Because the scene wasn't in the manga, and Thorfinn's moment where he decides to go to Vinland doesn't happen until much later in the manga. At first I wasn't sure if I agreed with them or not, but after this episode, I disagree. Thorfinn decided to join Leif, only to then fall back to his old self. And...that's actually how real people are: a lot of times we make a decision for the better, only to relapse back into our old, bad habits. It's such a human detail that I rarely see in media: because usually what happens is a character whose flawed slowly overcomes their flaws, and never relapses back into those flaws.

I just put Vinland Saga in the 2nd spot on my favorites list, and gave it a 10, something I rarely do. Never have I put an anime in my favorites list so fast before. Honestly, I don't think I'll remove it from that spot even if season 2 never happens. My only fear is that when I rewatch this series with the English dub, I won't like the anime as much and think the story's overrated or something. But I started reading the Vinland Saga manga in late 2017. Watching the anime made me realize how great the prologue arc is, and love it even more than before.

Many people believe Dr. Stone is better than Vinland Saga, and that's fine. There's nothing with that. But aside from Dr. Stone looking technically better...I don't understand how it's better. Vinland Saga is nowhere near the best looking anime: Kill la Kill, Mob Psycho 100, look infinitely better. But visually I think it looks really solid and distinct enough. And I feel as though the writing, combined with the ost, is so phenomenal, and more powerful, than anything I've watched before. And I've been watching anime since 2009.
removed-userDec 29, 2019 3:07 PM
Dec 29, 2019 3:08 PM

May 2015
Oh. Oh. So Askeladd's story ends here. I was kinda looking forward to see more of him and his clever schemes. But it was a decent end.

Thorfinn is such a poor baby. Almost all of his life was wasted on revenge and rage, and now he's so lost. He doesn't have anything to cling to anymore, time for self-rediscovery and some character development.

Floki is one annoying bastard.

Overall, pretty enjoyable series. I didn't like it much at first but got hooked somewhere in the middle and I'm curious where this goes from now on.
Dec 29, 2019 3:12 PM
Jul 2018
operationvalkyri said:

Btw were we meant to know who all those people at the end were or will it be revealed in s2?

It's gonna be revealed in season 2. If season 2 follows the manga, then the story will, for better or worse, depending on your perspective, will take a pretty different direction for a while, with a lot less intense action.

@Yautja

Not necessarily. Attack on Titan is a shounen, but it's really serious and dark, in a way that we associate traditional seinen anime with. To my knowledge, Non Non Biyori is a cute girls doing cute things anime, and it's listed as a seinen. Aside from that one Naruto run, what was shounen about this anime?

@Pakumen-

I always thought the point of Thorfinn was that he was a child in a man's body. As a child, he witnessed his father get murdered in front of him, then almost immediately afterwards, joined his father's murderer, and his band of psychos, helping them kill people, including soldiers, and innocents, and even indirectly help them rape women. Thorfinn grew to hate war. He had no social life, because everyone around him were psychos.
His entire mindset, his existence, revolved around that rage, that moment, he felt as a child after seeing his father killed in front of him.
If that doesn't mess someone up to a point where they're easily manipulated, I don't know what does.
removed-userDec 29, 2019 3:21 PM
Dec 29, 2019 3:21 PM

Jul 2019
Askeladd was an amazing character and I'm sad he died but it was so awesome so I'm not even mad at Canute or anything. lol
Life is a despicable endurance race
Dec 29, 2019 3:31 PM

Jun 2015
Yautja said:
Ottes said:
My point still stands. You are assigning a lot of things in demographics with these ''this is proper seinen'' or ''*character doing something* is shounen'' as if they were genres. Which they are not.

For someone who's supposedly read the threads you're referencing, you should know I disagree that seinen/shounen are solely demographics. Just asserting that as fact will get you no where and not convey your seemingly non-existent / irrelevant point, which is void considering you obviously don't know or understand what I've said and think.

Since we have do this dance again. A genre is a category based on a collection of characteristics, similarities in subject matter, form, etc. On that basis alone shounen, seinen, etc, have undeniably become genres. And considering they're routinely treated as such by just about every manga and anime aggregators / blogs (be it MAL, Crunchyroll or other), and significant (if not majority) portion of the community in general, your assertion as to what they are or are not, is not absolute. Especially considering words can have multiple meanings.

What I was trying to say is that seinen and shounen go way more than just battle manga like a lot of JUMP series and Seinen can go way down like ''insert stupid harem manga number #678''. And with all of that annoyes me people using arguments like ''Ugh, this series is so childish, bad written , if it was Seinen it would be better!'' and in fact the series in question is a Seinen manga published in a SEINEN magazine. This whole demographic thing is just way too messy to me and in the same way that you disagree about this whole stuff being just demographic, I find annonying people constantly using them as a point to dismiss a lot of series.

(This discussion will go nowhere anyway but I decided to still reply since you didn't offend me directly in any reply and that's a rare thing in these forums lol)
Dec 29, 2019 3:44 PM

Apr 2016
Amazing anime.

First half was kinda slow, and torfinn really was the weakest character out of the main cast overall. Askelad and canute really is what made it more interesting towards the end. I wish I could give it a 9/10 but the first half was a little too slow, but it was still amazing. I really hope there's a second season.
Dec 29, 2019 3:46 PM

Mar 2019
That was fucking great. Thank you Wit for adapting this.

But that final scene with Hild, Gudrid, and Einar... I almost wanted to cry. God, I love that crew.
Dec 29, 2019 4:03 PM
Mar 2011
MetaKite said:
I can finally say Askeladd's real name; Lucius. He was one of the best villain protagonists in a long time.

All my fears for season 2 are gone now.

thats called anti-hero
Dec 29, 2019 4:08 PM

Oct 2018
Thorfinn still a virgin rage tard as the season ended. Askeladd stole this show.

Dec 29, 2019 4:12 PM

Jul 2016
Gret episode. Emotion run high and Askeladd last stand is great. The end of season but not the story. To the next season 8/10

Dec 29, 2019 4:18 PM
Jan 2019
With that last episode I can honestly say this was FMA Brother level of good. This solidified it as 10/10 for me.

Askeladd was a brilliant character and I felt that with Thorfinns final struggle to reach Askeladd’s body at the end, he actually cared about Askeladd (in an odd stockholm syndromey kind of way).
Dec 29, 2019 4:26 PM

Jan 2019
Believe it or not, this episode came out on my Birthday.
Well I'll be damned.
Dec 29, 2019 4:29 PM

Sep 2014
I rarely cry, but this was it fellas. That ending when he let go of the knife hit my kokoro like a train
Dec 29, 2019 4:41 PM

Feb 2019
What a great episode. No announcement for Season 2 but the studio drop this special video after ep. 24

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0BcqRwxDZE
Dec 29, 2019 4:42 PM

Aug 2018
What a pure blast, Vinland Saga is definitely one of the best shows released this year... I remember seeing on Facebook someone who claimed that "2019 seasonal animes were garbage"... god I had to restrain myself for telling him how wrong he was.

I feel hesitant in being sad for the ending or actually happy but it seems to be a mix of 2 : happy to have watched such an amazing show for 24 weeks, happy to have felt different emotions and lived a really powerful and rich story ; but also naturally sad it met its last episode (of season 1 I hope to say !), sad because one of the most interesting character this year died with a certain manner, sad because next Sunday I won't get to watch another episode.

An absolute contestant for the AOTY in my opinion, it deserves its place and all the positive critics. Clearly a must-watch of 2019 year !
Dec 29, 2019 4:44 PM
Sep 2017
Amazing season! Loved the adaptation top to bottom.

Dec 29, 2019 4:52 PM
Jun 2017
Thats what i call a finale episode... INTENSE, EXCITING AND EMOTIONAL ONE...

Prince Canute becomes a king by killing askeladd.

Thorfinn is sad since he isnt the one who killed askeladd.
Dec 29, 2019 4:58 PM

Oct 2013
deg said:
manga has still frames so it looks better though drawing wise

and damn the manga art is amazing for this

Oh, alright then. As I said, I can't judge since I haven't read the manga.

So compared to how Vinland Saga manga presented that scene, you say that anime adaptation was average? In terms of not only art, but filling emotions into this particular moment in the series etc.
✨Saint Seiya Club🌠
Dec 29, 2019 5:09 PM
Jan 2017
Askeladd’s monologue to Thorfinn is heartbreaking, because it simultaneously connects to the sadness of Thorfinn’s negative character development throughtout the story: Thorfinn continually goes through hell and suffering with no meaning, learning and gaining nothing while isolating himself; Askeladd sees this and how he feels about it is the second important part of his speech.

As Askeladd is dying, he has no reason to lie or put up a facade; having nothing to gain; and he reveals his authentic thoughts and what was subtly hinted at throughout the saga. Now in his final moments; not minding, even favoring that Thorfinn should rightfully kill him - as if he considers Thorfinn a part of himself emotionally, he asks what he always asks himself: what Thorfinn has planned for his future, smiling at him - happy that he lives on. But Thorfinn is petrified, painfully distressed by, and unable to accept what he’s hearing.
GovavaDec 29, 2019 5:17 PM
Dec 29, 2019 5:10 PM

Feb 2015
RealTheAbsurdist said:
Not necessarily. Attack on Titan is a shounen, but it's really serious and dark, in a way that we associate traditional seinen anime with. To my knowledge, Non Non Biyori is a cute girls doing cute things anime, and it's listed as a seinen. Aside from that one Naruto run, what was shounen about this anime?
I think the AOT & Non Non Biyori examples make my point more than anything, which was that being dark or having graphic things don't make something seinen. Conversely, having cute girls doing cute things don't make something not seinen. I agree both fit the labels they've got.

As to what makes something Seinen or Shounen, there is a laundry list things, be it common tropes, general character archetypes, themes, plot layouts, settings, etc. As to what those tropes, settings and such are, they get more specific or discarded as certain genres (romance, historical, etc) overlap or diverge. An actual example would be stuff like the power of friendship, hard work bringing rewards, etc, being shounen, typically with genres such as action. Shounen, Seinen and the like are very unique in that sense, they're far more abstract and complex genres than something like romance or action, and I definitely get why people don't wanna call them genres or think they're not, but you cannot deny that shounen (or shounjo or seinen or josei) in particular amass a lot of certain tropes, art styles (shoujo in particular on this one), content, story layouts, etc, especially when they intersect with other genres like action, romance, etc.

IMO, everything about Thorfinn screams shounen, be it his attitude, his goals, his fighting, etc. But, that said, IMO, Vinland Saga shouldn't be listed as either, but if it were one of the two, it's closer to shounen, but as I said, it used graphic things (rape, murder) to disqualify itself from that label and appear like a seinen. I just really think that seinen label is a stretch, and that it has more shounen elements (Thorfinn, Canute, the manner in which the fights are portrayed, etc) than it has seinen (Askeladd) elements. I think it's a lot more like series like AOT, or Arslan Senki than say Elfen Lied, Drifters, Ajin, or Black Lagoon.
Ottes said:

What I was trying to say is that seinen and shounen go way more than just battle manga like a lot of JUMP series and Seinen can go way down like ''insert stupid harem manga number #678''. And with all of that annoyes me people using arguments like ''Ugh, this series is so childish, bad written , if it was Seinen it would be better!'' and in fact the series in question is a Seinen manga published in a SEINEN magazine. This whole demographic thing is just way too messy to me and in the same way that you disagree about this whole stuff being just demographic, I find annonying people constantly using them as a point to dismiss a lot of series.

(This discussion will go nowhere anyway but I decided to still reply since you didn't offend me directly in any reply and that's a rare thing in these forums lol)
And in my original comment to which you replied, I said or implied precisely none of that. Nor did I disagree with any of the first two sentences. In fact, that is exactly what I believe and what I've been saying. I just said I don't think this is seinen, and that it uses things like rape, murder, etc to appear like it is, and that such things, while not appropriate for younger audiences / shounen, doesn't automatically make them appeal to older audiences / fit into the opposite genre (seinen). I didn't say it would be better if it was what I consider seinen, I didn't say it wasn't seinen only because of the battle aspects (though I do think that the overblown fighting, RE: Tree throwing Thorkell & Flying Thors, are unfitting and shounen-esque), etc.

Yes, and if you'll recall to those Beastars threads, I discussed exactly that and how I think half the reason certain things get the seinen label is because of where they are published, instead of their content. To relay an analogy, if Berserk was published in a shoujo manga, it would not be a shoujo. I'm not dismissing anything? I'm just saying I don't think this is really "seinen".

Well if that's the case, cheers. And I agree, I doubt it will. I think the more we talk, the further we get apart; we are not on the same page.
YautjaDec 29, 2019 5:13 PM
Dec 29, 2019 5:14 PM
Mar 2018
As the title of the episode I expected something else but let it be. The fight scene was amazing, seeing Askeladd going all out before dying (which was sad for me)
Dec 29, 2019 5:16 PM
Feb 2017
Man I hated Askeladd at the start, but man he grew on me so much seeing him die was actually sad. He went out like a mad lad, and I didn't expect Canute to just straight up kill Askeladd. Thorfinn's goal for revenge he trained and worked hard to achieve his entire life is all for naught. I'm guessing he will return to Iceland now.

10/10. Definitely contender for AOTY. Glad I waited to binge the entire show. Funnily enough I finished episode 23 yesterday, so the finale dropping the next day was nice.
Dec 29, 2019 5:17 PM

Nov 2015
Askeladd was the best thing about this show, absolutly amazing character. It's pretty much guaranteed that we will get a S2. Really can't wait. Couldn't ask for a better end to a decade than this. ALL HAIL THE TRUE KING ASKELADD!

Katsura janai, Zura da

Dec 29, 2019 5:18 PM
Oct 2007
I don't really want to say too much but this series is a masterpiece and it's been awhile since a masterpiece has been produced. 9/10 subjectively but 10/10 for personal bias.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 29, 2019 5:23 PM

Dec 2015
IwaOi-KHRStan said:
XXXXXXXXXIII said:

Further proof that you should just stick with shonen jump. (No offense, jump is great, but you will eventually grow out of it)

a seinen should be mature, and i don't see thorfinn as a mature character. for me, all the characters in this show are negative, thorfinn being the first of them.
a children disobeying his own father first, then not to be able to grow up and living only according his own dream. seinen is for adult, thorfinn is not an adult. it's a weak point.
and i don't have to explain to gave the same score to a shit fanservice like bokuben and a masterpiece of the century like dororo.
so, goodbye. i have already explained everything.

I did not enjoy Thorfinn's screentime either, but it didn't matter because he is the least important character in the story (so far). The fact that you haven't realized this only shows that you either paid no any attention the the actual plot, or you are simply here to start a flame war.
Dec 29, 2019 5:23 PM

Oct 2009
Adnash93 said:

Oh, alright then. As I said, I can't judge since I haven't read the manga.

So compared to how Vinland Saga manga presented that scene, you say that anime adaptation was average? In terms of not only art, but filling emotions into this particular moment in the series etc.

Honestly as a manga reader who has at times been let down by fights in this show that I thought would've been given more attention by the animators, I thought the animation in this episode was great. There wasn't a lot of fighting shown directly but what was shown was very well done.

The fact that he thinks a slideshow of super detailed but static coloured in panels from the Manga would've been better than the sakuga we got here says more about his own priorities than anything else, I would have hated that approach, it's lazy and takes you out of it completely.
Pages (17) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 8, 2019

262 by Ronin_Alx »»
Sep 17, 6:00 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 28, 2019

410 by Mglasses »»
Sep 10, 4:12 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 13, 2019

356 by siluthfi_ »»
Sep 5, 4:36 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 24, 2019

329 by Artromex »»
Aug 14, 6:36 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 3, 2019

261 by Artromex »»
Aug 12, 8:14 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.