Forum Settings
Forums
New
Oct 22, 2019 6:20 PM

Jun 2019
We are all writing in english here for the most part but some of us aren't native speakers, so I got curious. How well can you speak english? Does your ability to write in it match your ability to speak it?

It took me a lot of effort to get comfortable speaking english, although I knew how to write it already. Still I am not the best at understanding different accents other than the most common ones in TV shows.

Leading biologist Scott Pitnick said:
The bigger your 'nads, the smaller your brains
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Oct 22, 2019 9:17 PM

May 2019
I only speak American. The last British thing I engaged with was Lord of the Rings.
Oct 22, 2019 10:08 PM
Feb 2017
I only speak English. I’ve tried Spanish, but let’s just say it didn’t work out well...
Oct 22, 2019 10:22 PM
Dec 2010
Not a native speaker but I am expected to speak english as a national language here. Alas, I will never be as good as my westerners brethen who will dig at my poor language skills because they are the true master of the language. I can only humbly nod my head in reply. Poor me.
Someone believe I hv Fantasy Prone Personality, in short, FPP.
So I decided to live up to it, Yay!
Oct 22, 2019 10:24 PM

Sep 2019
Type is cheap. Speak the fuck up, pussies.

https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1422271

I am a god

Even though I'm a man of god

My whole life in the hand of god

So y'all better quit playing with god

Oct 22, 2019 10:44 PM
Jul 2018
native speaker, despite looking at the way i type

my writing is pretty shitty unless i read it out loud or in my head
Oct 22, 2019 11:25 PM
Cat Hater

Feb 2017
I've never scored above 25 points on the TOEFL speaking section or under 25 points on the writing section. Writing is definitely much easier for me personally even though I make mistakes all the time.
Oct 22, 2019 11:33 PM

Jul 2014
Not very much considering forums,social media are the only ones I can use it on since I live in a country that rarely uses the english language.
Which is why I need to participate in these forums and other social media platforms, might forget how to put a sentence or two if I dont.
Oct 23, 2019 12:13 AM

Jun 2008
100% fluent in English and Spanish.

Considering that my parents emigrated to the U.S from Latin America and only spoke Spanish to me growing up...

I take pride in my flawless English and Spanish, and considering your average White-American can only speak ONE fucking language (barely sometimes), yeah, it feels great.
Oct 23, 2019 12:21 AM
Jul 2018
149597871 said:
I've never scored above 25 points on the TOEFL speaking section or under 25 points on the writing section. Writing is definitely much easier for me personally even though I make mistakes all the time.

Same.
I don't need to speak english in daily life at all. I can write, although I'm not actually too good with languages that aren't my mother tongue, watch English movies, read English subtitles and books... but as soon as I should express my thoughts verbally, my mind goes blank and bounces back to the basics.
Oct 23, 2019 12:32 AM

Jul 2009
Far more fluent in English than my native language. I didn't even speak in a colloquial manner until I reached secondary high school. A certain friend used to make memes out of the way I talk lol.
Oct 23, 2019 12:38 AM

Jan 2009
lol my english skills is bad both written and speech and im too lazy to improve it because its not something i want to do
Oct 23, 2019 12:51 AM

Feb 2015
Maneki-Mew said:
149597871 said:

Same.
I don't need to speak english in daily life at all. I can write, although I'm not actually too good with languages that aren't my mother tongue, watch English movies, read English subtitles and books... but as soon as I should express my thoughts verbally, my mind goes blank and bounces back to the basics.

Speaking and writing have always been two different mediums of communication. You do get rusty without use for a while.

Happens to immigrants too who hasn't spoken their native tongue for years and has since defaulted to the spoken language there.
Oct 23, 2019 2:05 AM
Aug 2016
I'm both good at writing, reading and speaking it. Only my accept let others know that I'm not native.
Oct 23, 2019 2:09 AM

Mar 2014
ai dun rili fuwen in english, tog mai engrish is jas fain. plis tiece mi e gud english, mina~
Oct 23, 2019 2:11 AM
Jul 2018
Konradikon said:
Maneki-Mew said:

Same.

Speaking and writing have always been two different mediums of communication. You do get rusty without use for a while.

Happens to immigrants too who hasn't spoken their native tongue for years and has since defaulted to the spoken language there.

Yeah I know, you get very rusty, but tbh I have no motivation to speak with people in English all of the sudden. Although in school we had to one day a week for fun, but since then... eh. Maybe should do it.
Oct 23, 2019 2:28 AM

Aug 2016
At work I speak english most of the time because I work with people from different countries. I would say my english is average for a non-native speaker. Enough to fluently talk and understand most of things others say.

With my colleagues I speak german, and at home only russian. Also have friends russain/german speaking friends so it depends on the situation/person.
Oct 23, 2019 2:52 AM

Feb 2019
I can speak as well as I write. Whatever this means is up to the reader. I scored well in TOEFL tests and I also grew up learning and talking english. Besides, I have an easier time with learning foreign languages than most. I do, however, have a harder time speaking other linguistic branch languages, such as romance languages. Maybe those telling they have a harder time come from completely different branches?
Oct 23, 2019 3:26 AM

Jul 2019
I would say pretty good, outside of some grammar issues.

Never explain,
Never retract,
Never apologize
Just get the thing done
And let them howl
Oct 23, 2019 3:39 AM

Mar 2018
--ALEX-- said:
I take pride in my flawless English and Spanish, and considering your average White-American can only speak ONE fucking language (barely sometimes), yeah, it feels great.
That's just blatant racism right there. Generalizing one ethnicity is not a thing you ought to do.

“The most shameless thing in the world is political power that can be inherited regardless of ability or talent!”
Oct 23, 2019 3:47 AM

Oct 2012
I'm German but I am very fluent in English. My fiancé is from Norway, so we speak English to each other. Sometimes there are some English words that I don't know yet, but I can easily ask for the meaning of it and find the definition without it having to be translated to German for me.
If life ain't just a joke
Then why are we laughing?

If life ain't just a joke
Then why am I dead?
Oct 23, 2019 4:40 AM
Oct 2018
Not really. I am very inarticulate and all over the place when trying to speak in English.
--
Oct 23, 2019 6:09 AM

May 2019
Jokah said:

Did it.
Now hopefully I get to hear some cute foreign accents. :^)
Oct 23, 2019 6:43 AM

Jun 2014
I'm a native English speaker, so I hope I'm fluent in English.

The only other language that I have conversational skills in is "Dragonian," which is a language that I constructed. I gave up on the idea of studying a second natural language to fluency, because I don't have the discipline to study, and I cannot grasp the idea of things like grammatical case and grammatical gender.

Oct 23, 2019 6:52 AM

Aug 2009
[American] English is my native language.

I have moments when I speak like English isn't my native language.

Oct 23, 2019 7:02 AM
May 2016
Swedish is my first language; English is my second language.

I believe I am very proficient in English.

My ability to speak it was worse five years ago. Now, I speak well. Compare my first videos on my second channel (which I made specifically for speaking English) to my recent videos.
Oct 23, 2019 7:57 AM
Aug 2018
It's my primary language and I'm barely proficient at it. I know how to order food and ask directions.
Oct 23, 2019 8:07 AM
Jul 2018
Pretty decent I would say. Use mostly English around the workplace. Often converse with native English speakers and don't have any problems. I do tend to pepper in some filler words from my native language (Urdu) though.
Oct 23, 2019 8:08 AM
Cat Hater

Feb 2017
Maneki-Mew said:
149597871 said:

Same.

Same, my mind went blank when someone asked me for directions the other day. I couldn't say a word for some reason and that's considered a pretty basic conversation. The worst thing is that everyone expects my English to be flawless which for obvious reasons isn't the case.
Oct 23, 2019 8:48 AM
Jul 2018
Well English is all I know and a tiny bit of French from school. Quite sad really considering my mother could have and should have taught me Yoruba since she is Nigerian (they have over 300 languages in Nigeria but Yoruba is a Top 3 most used language). And my dad didn't speak Jamaican Patois so I don't understand much of it and don't speak it at all. Worst thing is Nigerian and Jamaican people see me and assume that I can understand them when I can't.
Oct 23, 2019 8:58 AM
Jul 2018
My answer is a solid no. I can't speak as fluently/comfortably as I can type it.

In fact, when I type it, little thought is even put into writing it out.

In actual social situations where I need to communicate, I find there's more anxiety and shit interfering with my ability to converse. But it's also entirely situational and environmental. Getting off anxiety medication would also make communicating easier, as medication blocks receptors in the brain, making it harder to speak.
Oct 23, 2019 10:28 AM

Jun 2008
Luchse said:
--ALEX-- said:
That's just blatant racism right there. Generalizing one ethnicity is not a thing you ought to do.

šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚ got a good laugh outta this, thanks.
Oct 23, 2019 10:49 AM

Mar 2018
--ALEX-- said:
Luchse said:

šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚ got a good laugh outta this, thanks.
You are very welcome Mister communist.

“The most shameless thing in the world is political power that can be inherited regardless of ability or talent!”
Oct 23, 2019 4:55 PM

Sep 2019
Freshell said:
Jokah said:

Did it.
https://vocaroo.com/i/s1FPppm26T3i

I am a god

Even though I'm a man of god

My whole life in the hand of god

So y'all better quit playing with god

Oct 23, 2019 5:50 PM

May 2016
English is my first language so very fluent. I did use to speak Cherokee quite a bit when I was young but now I don't even remember a single word from it.

Currently, im learning sign language which is really fun btw.
Oct 24, 2019 12:19 AM

May 2019
Jokah said:
Freshell said:

Did it.
https://vocaroo.com/i/s1FPppm26T3i

Sad times.

Just so you know, my non-native english speakers, even if you sound mangled, I respect the hustle. I myself am a mere monolingual. So you automatically win. I won't judge. Unless the accent is cute, in which case, I'll judge positively.
Oct 24, 2019 12:55 AM

Oct 2015
I haven't taken a TOEFL test yet but I'm pretty good I'd say. I've been told I speak eloquently before and I honestly find it easier and more comfortable to articulate myself in English than in my native language.
Oct 24, 2019 1:37 AM

Aug 2018
Doctor_Ghost said:
English is my first language so very fluent. I did use to speak Cherokee quite a bit when I was young but now I don't even remember a single word from it.

Currently, im learning sign language which is really fun btw.

Good luck on sign language, it can be really fun! I did a course in it, it was pretty cool especially to talk with new people/friends, an easy way to bond
Oct 24, 2019 5:39 AM

Feb 2016
Writing? Talking? both?
Writing, im Basicly fluid. altough i make mistakes, i am human.
Talking, When i played alot of games i was alot more comfortable speaking than i am today. Yet i can speak for hours on end, it's just that im missing dialect and its sound off, when i talk(atleast in my head). Other than that i can mostly do them Fluently.
But i would prefer putting some more skill points to talking Aspect of things.
Oct 24, 2019 5:54 PM

Sep 2017
I've got no problem with reading or understanding English, but man, I struggle to express myself, either it's writing or speaking in English

well, I'm also a disaster when it comes to speaking in my native language, I guess it doesn't help
Oct 24, 2019 6:00 PM

Aug 2011
My toefl score is pretty decent above 550 and recently I took an english language coefficient test for work i got a solid 8 point something as a score. Even though I could say that I made a mistake here and there, but yeah can't help to avoid some mistakes.

**ā˜¾**
Oct 24, 2019 6:01 PM

Nov 2017
It's my native tongue so yeah, I'm fluent in English. &++ considering where I currently live, I'd be toast if I wasn't lol
Oct 24, 2019 6:09 PM

Jul 2019
I'm fluent in english it's my first language Plus, where i live it's an official language.

Build The Cities (Empire Of Sound) [feat. Kerli]
Tristam x Karma Fields

00:58ā”ā”ā”ā”ā¬¤ā”ā”ā”ā”ā”ā”ā”ā”ā”ā”ā”ā”ā”04:01
ā‡† įžµįžµ įžµįžµ įžµįžµ įžµįžµ įžµįžµ įžµįžµā—ƒ āšāš ā–¹ įžµįžµ įžµįžµ įžµįžµ įžµįžµ įžµįžµ įžµįžµā†»
Oct 25, 2019 7:37 PM

May 2016
Not as much as I'd want. I can read, write and undertand English fairly well, but when it comes to speaking, I'm not that good. I'll fix that tho xd
Oct 25, 2019 8:11 PM

Jun 2019
Maneki-Mew said:
149597871 said:

Same.
I speak english a lot while working but I still suck at speaking it. I feel my accent is too heavy and that others will not understand it well. I get really self conscious about it.

Leading biologist Scott Pitnick said:
The bigger your 'nads, the smaller your brains
Oct 25, 2019 8:21 PM

Oct 2014
BrightFlashLight said:
Not a native speaker but I am expected to speak english as a national language here. Alas, I will never be as good as my westerners brethen who will dig at my poor language skills because they are the true master of the language. I can only humbly nod my head in reply. Poor me.

if a native English speaker makes a dig at your less-than-perfect English, just ask them how fluent they are in their second language.
Oct 25, 2019 8:27 PM
Dec 2010
Nithirel said:
BrightFlashLight said:

if a native English speaker makes a dig at your less-than-perfect English, just ask them how fluent they are in their second language.

Haha, I know about that. But they could be good at their second languages for all I know. Not saying that I have to poke back. To be honest, it's really more of me telling imaginary stories from the 2nd statement onwards, but I guess it does happen to other people.
Someone believe I hv Fantasy Prone Personality, in short, FPP.
So I decided to live up to it, Yay!
Oct 25, 2019 8:35 PM

Oct 2014
BrightFlashLight said:
Nithirel said:

Haha, I know about that. But they could be good at their second languages for all I know. Not saying that I have to poke back. To be honest, it's really more of me telling imaginary stories from the 2nd statement onwards, but I guess it does happen to other people.

They definitely could, but from my experience (as a native English speaker), they are far and few between.
Oct 26, 2019 12:32 AM
Jul 2018
Bakchos said:
Maneki-Mew said:

Same.
I speak english a lot while working but I still suck at speaking it. I feel my accent is too heavy and that others will not understand it well. I get really self conscious about it.

Bakchos said:
Maneki-Mew said:

Same.

As long as they understand you it's their problem, if they have a problem with it imo. :)
Oct 26, 2019 12:42 AM

Feb 2017
I'm a native English speaker. It's actually the only language I'm able to use in conversation although I know some Spanish, German, and can now recognize some Japanese thanks to being a weeb.

It seems to me that a lot more non-native speakers speak English far better than some native English speakers I've interacted with though.

Just some guy who likes anime

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Is there a cure for mental illness?

DesuMaiden - Yesterday

11 by Ex-Aid »»
6 minutes ago

Poll: » How much do you drink alcohol or smoke? ( 1 2 3 )

TheBlockernator - Mar 29, 2022

111 by Zarutaku »»
1 hour ago

» What is comedy for you?

TheOmnivert - Jun 13, 2020

46 by Loyal_Sheepling »»
3 hours ago

» Fav "D"?

GoatPieceLuffy - Yesterday

18 by Adnash »»
3 hours ago

» 2023-2024 NBA Season Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

deg - Jun 18, 2023

802 by zzz »»
3 hours ago
Itā€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.