Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Jan 21, 2019 11:48 PM

May 2015
Hyakkimaru just beat every monster with a stick...

"He feels no pain, therefore he knows no fear." Oh boy. Why do I have a feeling that something really tragic is going to happen in the future?

The animators must have saved a lot of budget here. We don't need no colors to show a good backstory. Sepia all the way!

This was a great episode to show how Hyakkimaru learned how to write and fight. He's like the perfect example of show, don't tell. Japan's Daredevil everyone (as soon as he gets his sense of hearing back lel)!
Jan 21, 2019 11:59 PM

May 2015
Loving the expanded backstory for Jukai. As far as I remember his personal backstory wasn't in the manga.

This anime is looking to be a masterpiece. So happy to see a modern retelling of one of my favourite manga.
Jan 22, 2019 12:14 AM
Oct 2017
I think this episode ties all the loose ends and the quality just keeps increasing for this show.
Jan 22, 2019 1:37 AM

Oct 2017
Loved every bit of this episode. I am so satisfied after watching the episode, the manga is no doubt is a good one but loved how the remake of the Dororo isn't an exact copy of it but added more sense to it, you don't really get a background story of the doctor in the original story but my expectations with this remake is fullfilled as how they focused on the character of the doctor as well as Hyakkimaru. The bcakground story was beautiful and it wouldn't be wrong if I say it was better than the actual story but don't get me wrong I really respect Osamu Tezuka's work and love every one of them. I hope this gets better and better.

I want you to be happy.
I want you to laugh a lot.
I don’t know what exactly
I’ll be able to do for you,
but I’ll always be by your side.
Jan 22, 2019 3:21 AM

Aug 2015
Best episode yet. I loved the start, the cinematography was on point
It's only a passing thing, this shadow. Even darkness must pass. A new day will come. And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer.
Jan 22, 2019 3:52 AM

Nov 2018
Jukai's apprentice was disgusting there, being racist n blaming him for his father's death. Good he left, he stopped deserving Jukai anyway.
Another amazing episode, this can be a masterpiece.
Jan 22, 2019 4:06 AM

Jan 2018
e_hoba said:
billybub said:

Look up Kiri sute Gomen, basically a samurai could kill anyone of a lower class for any precieved affront, it was pretty fucked up. That being said, it was another great episode

Muromachi people easily killed people just because no one punished them.
A little fight could end up with a big revenge battle. Not only samurai but normies also killed people with no hesitation.
Finally in the Edo period, Tokugawa officially banned killing no matter what the class is. Murderers were punished even if he was a samurai.

@billybub

Omg :O Thanks for the info, guys, I didin't know any of it ! Brutal shit ..
Jan 22, 2019 4:58 AM

Sep 2017
Damn this anime keeps surprising me

It's certainly one of the best animes this season, if not the number one
Jan 22, 2019 8:26 AM

Oct 2018
Cant wait to see hyakkimaru regain all of his body parts.....after all this makes the show interesting!!!!! Certainly will be one of the best of 2019.
Tokyo ghoul's 1st ,2nd ,3rd and 4th season were a big mistake of Pierrot!!!!!
Jan 22, 2019 8:49 AM

Mar 2017
Wow. An episode full of emotions. Even though Jukai did cruel things in his past, it's hard to hate him. In fact I felt really sad for him. So he was the one who found Hyakkimaru, gave him name, body and trained him. Hope he finds his salvation.
Hyakkimaru got his sense of pain back. That might make him weaker.
Jan 22, 2019 11:32 AM

Oct 2018
It's sad to see how different Tahomaru's life has been compared to his brother's, it's not his fault of course, but still it's hard to swallow. I really can't stand their father, his wife is still mourning the loss of her first child but he doesn't care at all!
Jan 22, 2019 11:48 AM
Mar 2018
A really gripping and emotional backstory on Jukai. And how he found and raised Hyakkimaru
Jan 22, 2019 12:20 PM

Oct 2011
This episode was so touching, I hope they will reunite
Jan 22, 2019 1:58 PM
Discord Moderator
May 2016
Hylianticipated said:
Great episode, but I find it stupid that he was totally content with stringing men up on crosses and torturing them by pounding nails into their body, cutting off ears and non-vital appendages, even after begging to be killed, until they finally die a gruesome death, but the moment a women is swiftly and painlessly killed he suddenly can't handle it anymore. What a bitch. At least he became awesome later. But still.

I think it was because he was able to distance himself from the act of murder because he saw them as nothing more than body parts, but seeing a woman reach out so desperately for her husband only to be cut down is what made him realize what he was doing was wrong. It's a huge wake up call to see how your actions are effecting other people. I'm not sure what time era this takes place in but maybe women are seen as more innocent and deserving of protection, so that could be part of it, too. It seems a bit more than just a random plot point, at least to me.
Jan 22, 2019 4:15 PM
Jul 2018
This anime is amazing i loved the hyakkimaru and the doctor moments , hyakkimaru had a father figure it was just amazing to see it,we also Saw the reason why the doctor is helping so many persons
Jan 22, 2019 4:34 PM

Aug 2015
what a way of making a very good flashback episode!! i saw somewhere once that flashbacks normally only work after we have built an emotional connection with a character so we're not bored and are actually invested in their background story and whatnot. i guess that's true in most cases, but honestly, i couldn't give a damn about jukai before this, and the way this work manages to show background information that's actually relevant to the plot while simultaneously make me appreciate and hope that this character find peace at the end of it all is stunning! i really liked this episode if my rant didn't make it clear enough
Jan 22, 2019 7:22 PM

Oct 2017
While the episode going back and exploring the backstory was kinda unexpected. I like how they work a demon kill in to keep up the episodic nature. The fact it's working that episodic style in with a long running story so well is part of what makes it so appealing.

I love how this show is DIVING out of the way of power creep by having him simultaneously get weaker and stronger with every success. That allows them to keep the story fresh by changing up strategies without giving him a new darn power every episode, and leaves it somewhat ambiguous how the change will be adapted to.

I kinda think some scenes had a drop in quality since ep 1 and 2. But some scenes (Like those beautiful rotating shots) Keep up the status quo. Clearly a capable team is working on this.
Jan 22, 2019 8:39 PM
Aug 2016
Very touching episode, loved the black and white/less saturation choice! It was perfect for the atmosphere that they want for that memory. In my opinion chapter 3 was the best episode so far. The first two ones tell us a little about the story but more focused on showing Hyakkimaru abilities and combat. This one explains the connection between characters, a lot more about the life of Hyakkimaru, and the plot too.
Jan 22, 2019 8:53 PM
Aug 2018
One of the most beautiful that I have seen. Dororo is being wonderful. Hope that can be wonderful until the end.
mvmvJan 22, 2019 8:57 PM
Jan 22, 2019 9:36 PM
Apr 2016
Yall nobody's asking questions everybody's just saying the same thing over and over again. Is no one really gonna question how the person who was as disabled as disabled can get was able to understand the doctor???? Or like.... are we just going to keep talking about how great this anime is???
Life Hurts A Lot More Than Death.
Jan 22, 2019 9:49 PM

Dec 2015
So, Hyakkimaru already has a real leg? No trapped leg then?

Nice try at giving a story to the doctor and giving less weird explanations behind some things. But some others would have been better left unexplained/unchanged because you're immediately left thinking "Really? Come on !". The first TV series even discarded a few ones from the author itself and it was a good way to prevent a too high incredulity, it probably added a few problems too on the other hand.

Was it real B&W? It looked weird from the beginning to the end. Most nowadays B&W movies don't look so "not B&W". This could have been great (unlike I missed something).

3/5 Despite the gentle touch at the hand, the father-son -like relationship never seemed present for me (unlike in the first adaptation).

That staff is even mre effective than Shu's one (Ima soku...)

@MOB_ABOMINATOR @lily_lou It's mostly the scenarist of this series who should be praised. From what I remember, characters here have little to do with their manga counterparts except for the major events in their life (based on the opening).

@KasumeRen I'm guessing we are supposed to buy that he sensed it. Just like we were supposed to buy some other weird things in the manga, or in the 69 show. Funny offer: choose your version depending on what kind of "it's like that POINT" elements you can accept to ignore.

@Kookerz32 Warring States normally. Dororo was born around the beginning of that era.
Rei_IIIJan 22, 2019 9:58 PM
Jan 23, 2019 12:01 AM

Sep 2010
3/3 episodes seen.
I have found the second episode under tone in comparison to the first one.
The first and the third ones were so great!
The directing and the screen-play seem very good.
I hope it will keep this path.
Jan 23, 2019 3:26 AM

Sep 2011
Three episodes in, and I'm still very impressed. It was great to know about Hyakkimaru's past, and about his more fortunate brother too. So he was saved by the doctor of the prostheses, that boy he saved before had his reasons to resent him, but I couldn't really sympathize with the kid, so it was really sad when the doctor thought that he did the wrong choice again by teaching Hyakkimaru "how to kill" when he was just trying to give him a chance to survive.

But I hope time will let him know he did the right thing this time. It's also great to see Hyakkimaru becoming more and more human, he finally knows pain, and I can't wait to see how much he will grow from now on.
Jan 23, 2019 4:52 AM

Jan 2015
Why I love this anime so much?
Jan 23, 2019 8:24 AM

Nov 2011
Easy early AOTS frontrunner. Props to Jukai on being honest, knows what he's doing isn't atonement of any sort, still more curious to see what events unfold in the present, Hyakkimaru won't just be killing random monsters till he gets his limbs back, I hope.

Join the MSP Club for an in-depth look at score progressions and other stats of currently airing anime
Jan 23, 2019 8:40 AM
Jun 2017
I'm so in love with hyakkimaru's backstory and when he sucked the doctors finger when he was a baby I ALMOST CRIED PRECIOUS KID🙏🙏
Jan 23, 2019 12:50 PM

May 2016
Love the fact that he can get his body back and it was revealed in the opening song as well how cool is that.

That osan is lost feel bad for him that kid left him as well, hope he can find salvation ;a;
Jan 23, 2019 2:40 PM

Dec 2013
I thought "Dororo" is dark but relationship between Jukai and Hyakkimaru is like shiny gold. Predictable but still great and the hug was heart warming.
Jan 23, 2019 7:11 PM
Jan 2019
the episode length caught me off guard, I'm used to seeing 20 min episodes not 15 min ones.
Jan 23, 2019 7:56 PM

Oct 2008
Another impressive solid episode!
so it all connects!
Jukai was the one who found the baby Hakkimaru and took care of it until they depart!
first part is just brutality! eww! slicing the ear! that's gore!
So Hyakkimaru is slowly regaining the parts of his body! cool!
5/5!

Jan 23, 2019 8:02 PM

Jul 2016
Mostly a backstory episode but it still was very interesting to watch.

So, we learned more about Jukai, who wasn't exactly... the most kind person on earth. Those first minutes of torture portrayed quite well his character and intentions. He might have been acting under other's orders but he didn't look like he hesitated that much either... In addition, his breakdown after seeing someone's wife being killed felt a bit... "out of nowhere". Not to mention that the way he decided to kill himself was rather odd but that's just me. It's understandable that after committing such actions, he would decide to kill himself.

And after that failed suicide attempt, he basically decided to help people as much as he possibly can. Just a way to forgive himself and his past sins.
All in all, it was a quite interesting backstory of a man who is probably dead inside since he knows he will never be in peace with his soul.

But the thing I found rather interesting was the fact that his soul doesn't seem to be evil nor contaminated by any impurity as we could notice when Hyakkimaru was "watching" him. Kind of interesting so I hope I could learn more about him and about the war that happened before Hyakkimaru was born.

And finally, it seems the thing Hyakkimaru regained in the last episode was his nervous system. So far, he has killed 3 out of 12 demons and since he regains a new part of his body once he kills one of those demons, it seems he will become even weaker after every kill so things will surely become harder for him from now on so I'm curious to know how he will manage to regain his humanity without getting killed while doing it.
SouthRzVaJan 23, 2019 8:07 PM
Jan 23, 2019 8:53 PM
Apr 2016
KasumeRen said:
Yall nobody's asking questions everybody's just saying the same thing over and over again. Is no one really gonna question how the person who was as disabled as disabled can get was able to understand the doctor???? Or like.... are we just going to keep talking about how great this anime is???

I guess by his actions? Hyakkimaru could probably guess what Jukai was doing if Jukai was able to show him properly. He could still somewhat 'see' after all. But if you're talking about the scene with his name, the doctor was holding his hand as they wrote it down. So I guess Hyakkimaru just memorised the motion of the characters, and somehow someway that wasn't shown, he understood that it was his name.
Jan 23, 2019 10:53 PM
Oct 2017
Decibelle said:
Jukai's extreme change of heart in the opening scene was super jarring. I wonder if that's a thing the anime is going to clear up, because it really seems strange that he appeared to be okay with what he was doing until the soldier's wife was killed in front of him. The only rationale I can think of is that he was taught/trained to consider killing soldiers and rebels fine, and that a random woman wasn't what he assumed was under that umbrella. Even then, seems strange?

Otherwise, excellent episode. This show's got me hooked on it.

I went back and re-watched it and it looked like his hand was shaking right before he nailed the last steak in the guy. Could mean nothing or it could be a super rushed way to show he was already disgusted with himself idk
Jan 24, 2019 12:03 AM

Dec 2015
Kookerz32 said:
Hylianticipated said:
Great episode, but I find it stupid that he was totally content with stringing men up on crosses and torturing them by pounding nails into their body, cutting off ears and non-vital appendages, even after begging to be killed, until they finally die a gruesome death, but the moment a women is swiftly and painlessly killed he suddenly can't handle it anymore. What a bitch. At least he became awesome later. But still.

I think it was because he was able to distance himself from the act of murder because he saw them as nothing more than body parts, but seeing a woman reach out so desperately for her husband only to be cut down is what made him realize what he was doing was wrong. It's a huge wake up call to see how your actions are effecting other people. I'm not sure what time era this takes place in but maybe women are seen as more innocent and deserving of protection, so that could be part of it, too. It seems a bit more than just a random plot point, at least to me.

You make a good point about how he realized the greater impact he had on the people generally as opposed to a nameless enemy being fought specifically. Even so, I could have appreciated that fact a lot more if he had simply been killing his opponents and then saw the impact it had on normal uninvolved people, as opposed to the fact that he was brutally torturing and dismembering them. It would have made more sense if he had seen a village be ransacked by him and his men leading to the brutal raping and pillaging of the villagers before killing them and burning down their village. I obviously don't want to see something like that though; my point is just that the evil he was doing that he turned away from was largely disproportionate to the event that lead to his conversion. In short: the guy is an idiot, and this point in his backstory--however minor--was written poorly.
Jan 24, 2019 12:37 AM
Discord Moderator
May 2016
Hylianticipated said:
Kookerz32 said:

You make a good point about how he realized the greater impact he had on the people generally as opposed to a nameless enemy being fought specifically. Even so, I could have appreciated that fact a lot more if he had simply been killing his opponents and then saw the impact it had on normal uninvolved people, as opposed to the fact that he was brutally torturing and dismembering them. It would have made more sense if he had seen a village be ransacked by him and his men leading to the brutal raping and pillaging of the villagers before killing them and burning down their village. I obviously don't want to see something like that though; my point is just that the evil he was doing that he turned away from was largely disproportionate to the event that lead to his conversion. In short: the guy is an idiot, and this point in his backstory--however minor--was written poorly.

I think it was more-so being reminded that the man had people he cared about and vise versa. That he wasn't just a soldier or whatever it was that was going on. The wife got herself killed trying to reach him and save him. I don't think he'd bat an eye watching more people be tortured by him and his men. If he can disconnect himself from a man begging for death as he cuts off his limbs, I think he can disconnect from a town full of people. Who knows, though, we're only a few episodes in so we can't really analyze his entire personality from just this. But I think it was the shock factor of killing someone that had a family that did him in. I don't think trauma needs to match trauma to turn your life around. People can change over the smallest of things. We'll just have to watch how it continues from now on.
Jan 24, 2019 7:23 AM

May 2014
Literally had tears in my eyes when he touched his face... Holy hell.

Jan 24, 2019 8:07 AM
Apr 2015
I really hope nothing happens to the doctor, but I lowkey feel he's gona die, really hope he lives [No spoilers please]

I don't usually watch these types of anime series. All the action and violence is refreshing and delivered in a old school style visual with clean animations is great.

Baby hyakkimaru biting on the doctors finger was adorable too. That last scene was also beautiful and sad. Big fan of these series, hope it keeps delivering.
Jan 24, 2019 10:19 AM

May 2015
Hope things stay at this quality, really enjoying it so far. Picked it up on a whim and have no regrets whatsoever.
Jan 24, 2019 5:39 PM
May 2016
Has the OP grown on anyone else? I can't stop listening to it now honestly.
Jan 24, 2019 7:14 PM
Jul 2018
How did Jukai not know that Kaname's father died during that war? He's lived with him since he was quite young.
Jan 24, 2019 8:13 PM
Nov 2015
That was a really nice episode.

Jukai's past and the final scene with Hyakkimaru feeling pain when stepping on fire was touching.

I still think the first episode was the best so far, but I'll give that a 4/5.
Jan 25, 2019 12:15 AM
Jul 2018
I didn't like that almost the whole episode was in sepia. I understood very well that it takes place in the past, thanks. That doesn't look good for such a long time.
Apart from that I loved to see about his backstory and the background of the doctor.
Jan 27, 2019 10:18 AM

Feb 2017
amazing episode! i love seeing backstories of characters. this backstory felt especially touching and it was nice to see the strong connection between jukai and hyakkimaru.
i'm honestly loving this series so far - to me it feels like something fresh, instead of the anime series that i keep watching one after the other that are basically carbon copies of each other

placeholder text
Jan 29, 2019 7:43 PM

Mar 2016
I'm in love with this anime

Jan 30, 2019 6:54 AM
Mar 2017
The backstory of Hyakkimaru was very interesting, the same with the doctor who saved him and raised him.
The doctor's apprentice had no compassion for the man who sought forgiveness for his acts in the war, but it was to be understood, the young man was saved by the same hands that killed his father.
It was great to see how Hyakkimaru became stronger and to see the doctor supported him in his development was very moving, but in the end Hyakkimaru had to leave to recover his body and the farewell was something that came right in the feelings.
Feb 1, 2019 1:08 AM
Jul 2018
wow this remake continues to surprised me in a good way. This episode somewhat gave me one of earlier FMA 2003 filler episode vibes and it was very interesting. Now I wish Hyakkimaru get his voice next! I am curious to hear that new va sounds like :O
Feb 8, 2019 6:46 PM

Jan 2013
What a great episode!
I know that guy was evil in the past but now at least he is doing the best that he can for people, great backstory.
Hyakkimaru finally got his nervous system back, i hope he can get "normal" eyes later.

This anime just keeps getting better.
"There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards."

Feb 10, 2019 12:23 AM

Aug 2017
Not only we know Hyakkimaru's past after he was abandoned, Jukai's past was great.

Indeed, the whole episode was sad.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Feb 12, 2019 5:11 AM
Jun 2017
Beautiful and sad. The scenes from this episode were so well crafted, the photograph said so much about what's going on that it did not need a shocking soundtrack so we could feel it.
Feb 15, 2019 4:21 PM

Nov 2011
Just finished the episode and thought. The doctor was in war and he looked as he does now. After that he went to "foreign lands" came back, became a doctor, raised his "helper" for atleast 5 years, then raised the main character for 15 years i would say. doctor still looks the same.... Is this like a hole or author doesnt give a f**k for anything else except what he wants to pass? I don't see the doctor been something more than a human.... Would like an opinion on this
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Dororo Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Feb 25, 2019

161 by ArreolaAn9el »»
Jun 10, 4:34 PM

Poll: » Dororo Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 24, 2019

445 by SpongyMallard »»
Jun 3, 8:18 PM

Poll: » Dororo Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 20, 2019

138 by bluntaba_sakura »»
May 25, 4:16 PM

Poll: » Dororo Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 13, 2019

136 by bluntaba_sakura »»
May 25, 3:55 PM

Poll: » Dororo Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 29, 2019

109 by bluntaba_sakura »»
May 25, 3:12 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.