Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Jan 10, 2019 7:13 PM

Sep 2015
I thought I would be okay since I already knew from the very first minute that Sakura would die. I was so wrong...
Jan 14, 2019 5:42 PM
Mar 2018
Okay so this movie left me devastated. I mean yeah we all knew that Sakura was gonna die. But she and Haruki shared so many bittersweet moments that it was heart wrenching in an effective way. Her sudden death really connects with her philosophy on what it means to be alive. I think that’s why this resonates with me and most of the audience. It’s relatable.
Jan 14, 2019 5:45 PM
Mar 2018
rodolfoemiliano said:
One thing I hated: "how" she died. Didn't match with the way of this movie. Her death was silly. Besides, a great movie.
You call it silly but it literally connects with her philosophy on life. You’ll never know when you’ll be taken out of this world. It can be either tomorrow or any second. Life has no guaranteed death dates buddy and you’re failing to realize the importance of her “silly” death.
Jan 14, 2019 7:02 PM

Jun 2013
Naaate said:
rodolfoemiliano said:
One thing I hated: "how" she died. Didn't match with the way of this movie. Her death was silly. Besides, a great movie.
You call it silly but it literally connects with her philosophy on life. You’ll never know when you’ll be taken out of this world. It can be either tomorrow or any second. Life has no guaranteed death dates buddy and you’re failing to realize the importance of her “silly” death.

I argued with a guy above about it. He knows the source material and agreed this movie did not develop this "philosophy" in the same way as the novel. I only know the movie and this "philosophy" just didn't show up. Nothing you tell me will keep me from this perception. I'm sorry.
Jan 14, 2019 8:35 PM
Mar 2018
rodolfoemiliano said:
Naaate said:

I argued with a guy above about it. He knows the source material and agreed this movie did not develop this "philosophy" in the same way as the novel. I only know the movie and this "philosophy" just didn't show up. Nothing you tell me will keep me from this perception. I'm sorry.
it’s cool then. I’m just rebutting her “silly” death.
Jan 17, 2019 1:30 AM

Nov 2013
Damn did they throw a curve ball with that death....

LYNN was the perfect VA for Sakura though, stellar job!
Jan 17, 2019 3:05 PM

May 2017
How the hell is this rated 8.73?

I did enjoy the movie up until the point where she died. The letter felt like a cheap version of Shigatsu. Are you seriously expecting me to get heavy emotions over what she wrote? The longer the letter part went on the more interest I lost and the more annoyed I got.

In Shigatsu we get a heavy buildup of 22 episodes before they hit you with the ultimate letter of emotion. You as a viewer were able to reminisce about the time they spend together, the moments they shared together, the feelings they had for each other, we knew how important they were for each other and how big of a role they played in their lives. In this movie we get about an hour of development between the characters. The letter didn't move me at all. The writing felt extremely cheap and forced.

"Perhaps I lived 17 years of my life to meet you." You cannot possibly expect anyone to get emotional over stuff like this when we only knew the character for about an hour. Give me an entire season of 25 episodes about these 2 characters with a more fledged out story and I promise you this hits the feels much more.

"But you cared for a uninteresting girl like me" How does this mindset of being uninteresting make any kind of sense? You were his first friend, the first person he ever really cared about. You spend so much time with him, how could you possibly think that you are an uninteresting person for him?

The visual presentation in the letter scene was extremely off too if you ask me.

Btw we never got to know why everyone in the class talked so bad about him, and why everyone tried to avoid him. Why did nobody want Sakura to be friends with this guy? There was no reason.

This movie went from a 7 to a possible 8 to a 6 or even a 5.

The art is pretty underwhelming for a 2018 movie. The animation is pretty lackluster too.

Soundtrack was okay.

5.5/10 The movie really wasn't bad up until the last 30 minutes. But that letter scene completely ruined it with its blatant cheap shigatsu copy.
shayed__Jan 17, 2019 3:09 PM
Jan 24, 2019 10:34 AM
Jan 2019
never rate anime before,but after watching this movie,i want to say "Great" ,really nice n enjoy the story,hope more anime like this :) #Arigatou
Jan 24, 2019 2:22 PM

Jul 2017
@shayed__

I'll respect your opinion, but I'd like to point out a few things.
I think the entire point of the story is that while neither of the main characters knew each other for that long, they were still able to connect in some form, even enough so that the main character actually felt emotion.
And no, maybe the film wasn't expecting you to get heavy emotions. I wasn't anywhere near crying or even that sad, but still enjoyed it.
It seems that you fault the movie for being a movie. Feel free to criticize the pacing (which you failed to mention) rather than criticize the form of media itself.

"But you cared for an uninteresting girl like me."
This directly ties into what she said earlier regarding about how in the grand scheme of things, she's only one person, which would make anybody "uninteresting" in comparison.

For the record, the visuals during the letter scene are extremely similar to the actual artwork for "The Little Prince", which was her favorite book. I think it receives credit for the concept alone.

I feel that it was pretty obvious as to why the guy talked bad about him. He was Sakura's former boyfriend (explicitly mentioned) and was simply jealous over the main guy.
If someone is never willing to socialize with anybody, it'd be normal for people to assume the worst of him, or at least think lowly of him. Some may see him as arrogant, stuck-up, or simply someone who dislikes others. Have him start spending time with the most popular girl in class, and of course they'd have something against him.

You mentioned how you disliked it starting from the point where she died. I'm not entirely sure if you have a problem with her actual death or not, but if so, it was foreshadowed multiple times within the film, so it's not that out of place.
Sorry, the user you are looking for is not available at the moment. You are currently reading text generated by APSAB or "Auto-Programmed-Signature-Mataining-Bot" (patent pending).

ERROR CODE 1979-NIPUL-W3EB
Please Install the Latest Version of MAL.OS as Some Features of Certain Signatures May Not Appear Correctly. You are currently running MAL.OS.V4. Click here to download MAL.OS.V5.

APSAB Version: Beta.99

"If Seinfeld isn't your favorite anime, then you aren't watching anime correctly."
- Me

Jan 24, 2019 3:13 PM

May 2017
@zamandzoe

I don't have a problem with the actual death. They told us in the first few minutes that she will die. It's just the way it was handled. I'm honest here, I was shocked and I even shed a tear when the News came that she got stabbed. It was an unexpected moment.

But like I already mentioned I just didn't enjoy the way they handled the "Letter" part and everything that happened after it.

I can very much agree with you on the part with Sakura's former boyfriend. It's totally understandable that he would get angry or jealous. But I was talking more about the class mates. I can see where you're coming from. "If someone is never willing to socialize with anybody, it'd be normal for people to assume the worst of him, or at least think lowly of him. Some may see him as arrogant, stuck-up, or simply someone who dislikes others." And I can partially agree to this. I can see people talking about this person, him being the lonely guy that never really interacts with anyone and just minds his own business. It's completely normal to talk about a guy like him and possibly even have a negative mindset about him. But they made it seem like he did something terrible by the way the treated him.

Okay good to know about the visual presentation with the letter and the book. I can respect the decision but that doesn't make the scene better for me.

"And no, maybe the film wasn't expecting you to get heavy emotions. " I think that's exactly what the movie tried to do. And no I don't fault the movie for being a movie. It's just a matter of story telling. Obviously I don't expect a movie to have a fledged out story like a 26 episodes show or something.

Take for example Your Name which is a much shorter movie that managed to make me sympathize with the characters on an emotional level. I'm not saying the characters are extremely complex or anything. But the movie managed to create a story between 2 characters in such a short time without having to rely on a fledged out story. I just took Shigatsu as a comparison because the scenes were very similar. I guess in the end it just comes down to personal opinions. Everyone experiences and takes in anime differently. I can even see that you rated Your name a 5. Which I don't see but that just confirms what I said. Everyone likes different things. For me the music and the art of your name alone is better than the entire pancreas movie.
Jan 24, 2019 4:07 PM

Jul 2017
@shayed___
At the very least, thank you for putting together a thought out opinion.

As you already know, I don't agree with your opinions on Your Name. I believe that the art and music were the only things holding it together. To me, the plot was poorly-paced, the characters were horribly bland, and there were several plot-holes.

I will admit that the novel for this is better than the movie to an extent.

I do think that this movie could have used an extra ~15 minutes or so.

I do also agree that the animation could have used some more... Animation in some parts. That said, this was the first major project that Studio VOLN created completely on their own, so I'll cut them some slack. Though some creative cinematography does shine through (ex. the opening, fireworks scene, train scene).

All in all, I think this movie is amazing because it's just really creative, in my opinion. It contains some interesting storytelling techniques (not using MC's name) and creates a surprising ending without it being completely out of nowhere. I also adore the OST, and even the animation for what it is, though those are up to opinion more than anything. Is it perfect? No. Luckily, for every mistake, it does 2 things that make up for it in spades (in my eyes).

Sorry, the user you are looking for is not available at the moment. You are currently reading text generated by APSAB or "Auto-Programmed-Signature-Mataining-Bot" (patent pending).

Please Install the Latest Version of MAL.OS as Some Features of Certain Signatures May Not Appear Correctly. You are currently running MAL.OS.V4. Click here to download MAL.OS.V5.

"If Seinfeld isn't your favorite anime, then you aren't watching anime correctly."
- Me

Jan 25, 2019 2:29 AM

Nov 2013
I feel lost whenever I watch an anime with a relatable character, this is really good...
“You should enjoy the little detours to the fullest. Because that's where you'll find the things more important than what you want.”
Jan 26, 2019 3:44 AM
Jun 2014
I barely watch any anime these years so the fact it held my interest is already a huge plus. I guess even stupid forced drama can be done right if you have talent (it's a compliment I swear).
I did like it but the fact that a mega-cute girl kept dancing about autistic mc trying to move him was how should I put it? not annoying but it felt like artificial pandering - look here our dear japboy viewer, you can self-insert in this guy and enjoy it even more! I bet the guy in the live-action movie is ultra-autistic for maximum immersion. Ugh. (Then again this stuff is pretty normal right? Must be my anime abstinence kicking in). Well he did kinda try to kinda rape her so maybe i'm not being fair, maybe there is hope for this guy after all. Should have tried something in the hotel too though. Poor girl expecting of him to do something all that time.
Also all this talk about life and stuff didn't feels like things high school kids would talk about. I like romance ok. More hugs, less existentialism.

Overall it had it's flaws but still pretty good. I just like to complain. 8/10.
Jan 27, 2019 11:52 AM

Apr 2013
It's good and feel like Shigatsu..but still the drama I think didn't catch up enough to me (maybe because I have high expectation too much on it)...still, I like the plot on how Sakura appearance can change totally Haruki's life although she have little time to spend...

I'm not satisfy enough when watch the anime adaptation, now must try continue to watch on live action next to gain more it's drama 'feeling' like others recommendation...

MrBluebearJan 27, 2019 12:01 PM
Jan 28, 2019 11:42 AM
Feb 2016
derrickgar said:
Can someone explain why haruki got mad at sakura in the scene at sakura's room before encountering sakura's ex.

I was a little confused too and I'd already read the both the manga and novel before watching this, but I think it was a combination of him thinking she was screwing with him, him thinking she was seducing him, and him thinking she's not taking things seriously (at this point he's starting to understand what her death would really mean to him). Or maybe the simpler (albeit darker) explanation that he really was about to try and assault her but came to his senses, which is why he ran out. If anyone has other interpretations, please let me know b/c I'm really not sure myself.

EDIT: Yeah so I was reading around on reddit and I think the consensus is that she was "playing around with his heart", really just leading him on and he wasn't having it, so he did that to kinda be like "your actions have consequences".
User4154Jan 28, 2019 11:57 AM
Jan 28, 2019 6:16 PM
Sep 2012
Sorry for my bad English

What if in fact the ex is the guy who was behind of everything, like an stalker, because everyone in the class ALWAYS knew they were going out together, also in that scene Haruki was on top of Sakura, she cried because she had experienced something like that with the ex, and Haruki said she ended up with ex for not knowing how to take "no", showing that he may have tried to force something. Maybe that's why he can not stand seeing someone in her house (like an stalker would do) "doing things" and stabbed her.
Jan 29, 2019 1:29 PM

Apr 2016
Such an amazing movie. The music was incredible, the story was very good and incredible sad.. Without doubt 10/10

Feb 7, 2019 6:04 PM

May 2014
I thought it was great. Heart wrenching and warming at the same time
"My name is John Locke, and I'm responsible
for the well being of this Island"
Feb 7, 2019 7:04 PM
Aug 2017
Just read the Manga/Light Novel, it's not that the movie is bad but I just can't find myself recommending it in comparison to the written works.
Feb 7, 2019 7:38 PM
Jan 2019
Why did someone decide that what the NGNL movie did in the intro was a good idea....
Feb 7, 2019 8:35 PM

Dec 2014
Went to a local premiere. I personally really liked it.

Sakura was just so lovable and Haruki was a really nice character too. I loved how their relationship grew, every moment of it was just so sweet and heartwarming to watch but at the same time very poignant. Their banter was great and always had me smiling and I love how the movie brought out their polar opposite personalities and how it helped both of them grow. :)

I loved what the movie tried to convey, as someone with very similar outlooks on life. I could really relate to a lot of things Sakura said and it generally made me feel really happy. We are who we are because of all the choices we've made in our life, we are where we are because of our choices. How things exist and are given meaning too because we believe they do exist and they are worth something.
Quoted from The Little Prince "It's the time you have spent for your rose that makes your rose so important." I suppose it's not hard for me to see why both me and Sakura like this little book a lot. xD

The art was absolutely stunning, like damn they made it looks so pleasing.

I'm a little disappointed with how they chose to handle Sakura's inevitable death. I saw it coming because in the very beginning they show a similar new headlines and I thought why would something like that be in this show and later when it happened I kinda guessed it. It's kinda the only thing that I didn't like about the movie, it felt so very out of place. I don't mean to say that she should've had like a dramatic death or something but it certainly could've been done differently in perhaps a much more emotional way.
The only other things that I found a little iffy was the thing with that popular dude in the class. Did we really need that?

Nevertheless, a great movie overall and I'm happy I got to see it in the theatres. :)
8/10
Feb 7, 2019 10:00 PM

May 2013
hmmm, not too sure how I feel about this movie, overall I still did enjoy it, prob like a 7 or 8 for me, prob need to rewatch it again to see how I really feel about it.
Feb 7, 2019 10:27 PM

May 2017
I won't lie, I probably cried bucket more for Angel Beats!, but this one had me on the edge if I weren't in a crowded theater. If I were watching at home, I would have been bawling my eyes out in the scene when Haruki asks permission of Sakura's mom to cry. I was genuinely afraid I was going to lose it right then.
Feb 8, 2019 6:38 PM

May 2008
Watched it yesterday in the theaters like some of the recent posts here! I really wanted to like this film. Don't get me wrong-- I still do! Haruki was a bit unbelievable for a character IMO. I couldn't really get into it because of him. I think Sakura was fine for the most part though.

The theater was pretty empty, but it was interesting to hear everyone sniffle up in the latter parts of the movie. The only time I started tearing up a bit was when he got to the last page of her book before the murder, and watched him flip through empty pages... She was really happy to finally be free. :(

Someone here mentioned the gum guy being a pretty worthless character, and was just a plot device to help Haruki show a change. I have to agree even with the device in effect, it was kind of dumb.

My least favorite part was the bedroom scene, where Haruki pushes her onto the bed and he just heavily breathes on top of her for like a whole minute. Extremely awkward. Scenes like that can be executed well, but I did not like it one bit. I cringed pretty hard.

Overall I enjoyed it, but I wouldn't say I'd recommend it to a lot of people.
Livestream: twitch.tv/imoogle
Feb 8, 2019 10:50 PM

Nov 2013
I watched this movie, having read the reviews and, considering the odd title, with relatively modest expectations. I was not emotionally prepared for what I was about to experience. This film turned out to be a masterpiece.

Sakura, at first, came off as an almost annoying person, even one might say, and "airhead". But as the movie progressed, I realized that she, given her condition in life, was really a very deep thinker. She was years ahead of her classmates with introspection and developing a theory about the meaning of life.

Haruki, indifferent to Sakura's attempts to hang out together, learned a lot. For him, their short time together was a transformative event. It would change his very philosophy for living. To see the gradual development of their "relationship" and to see how he found himself worrying about Sakura, this girl that seemed to stalk him and annoy him, drawing him out of his shell, out of his comfort zone, to see how she expanded his horizons, was the gold in this film.

There is so much we can learn from Sakura, for her positive attitude, especially Living with Dying, that it makes our problems in the world seem small by comparison. There are so many lessons on so many levels in this film. It was a beautiful, if bittersweet story. And it was uniquely Japanese, yet it has so many aspects that are universal.

This is an unexpected emotionally intense film that I found most enjoyable. A rare gem. This is the sort of anime that I love.
Feb 9, 2019 10:03 AM

Sep 2018
I liked this film first of all because I expected it to be much more melodramatic in the narration, but it was not and then did not force the spectator's hand, remaining enjoyable for the duration of the film. In addition, all the questions that the viewer has placed during the viewing, have an answer, the end is really nice especially after the credits. Great design style and backgrounds, not the CG, but not a problem. I recommend it to everyone, especially because there is also that twist that shuffles a bit on the table, in light of what should, but that does not happen in the terms prescribed to the female protagonist of the film.

My vote, for now, is 9/10.
Feb 9, 2019 2:09 PM

Dec 2013
rodolfoemiliano said:

I think it was a pretty interesting twist. Nonetheless it was called pretty early in movie.
Feb 9, 2019 2:19 PM

Nov 2013
Altt said:
Sorry for my bad English

What if in fact the ex is the guy who was behind of everything, like an stalker, because everyone in the class ALWAYS knew they were going out together, also in that scene Haruki was on top of Sakura, she cried because she had experienced something like that with the ex, and Haruki said she ended up with ex for not knowing how to take "no", showing that he may have tried to force something. Maybe that's why he can not stand seeing someone in her house (like an stalker would do) "doing things" and stabbed her.
not impossible, but highly doubtful. The murderer was on a killing spree before MC and Sakura even started to get close to each other. Though it is possible that her ex could have killed her and police might have stupidly framed him for all the other murders as well, or the fake news labeling him as a serial killer. Who knows?
Feb 19, 2019 4:26 PM

Dec 2016
Well as said many times, can't put words on it, you like or you don't.
Stop reading comments and go watch it ! You already watched it? Watch it again !
Personally really enjoyed it 9/10 = not as good as kimi no na wa / koe no katachi / clannad AS but still definitly worth it !
Signature removed. Please have a positive iq.
Mar 6, 2019 3:06 AM

Oct 2015
such an emotional anime and the time skip was great. The characters were lovable, it was sad though that they had to kill her before her time. But i think it was the ex boyfriend that stabbed her.

This had a romance tag but it was not that romantic, in fact it was a weird acquaintance but i am glad she changed him. I wish he dated someone though.

9/10
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Mar 15, 2019 11:46 AM
Dec 2014
Firstly I just kinda want to shout into the void a bit here by saying that this movie definitely wasn't a 4 for me and I think it's a real shame that the top review probably puts a lot of people off.

I found their relationship really sweet and also realistic although very cliche. They do keep talking about death but when death is literally around the corner I'm sure it's almost impossible to keep your mind off the subject. Also that's the point of their relationship! She's free to talk to him about her illness unlike anyone else in her life. She has the rest of her close ones to pretend with that she's fine.

The ending, although shocking I felt almost suited her and so I quite enjoyed how they wrapped everything up.

And yes, I definitely did cry. If you watched this and didn't you are a cruel cruel human being (only joking but it was really sad)

I give it an 8/10 based on enjoyment, not on originality. It's not something that I thought was amazing or rubbish but I will admit I was pretty invested in the plot the whole way through.

Mar 18, 2019 1:58 AM

Oct 2012
this movie made me cry. as my grandfather died of pancreatic cancer I shocked of the ending. a lil disappointed I felt it was a cap out to the illness but I still enjoyed.

a sucker for romance I was sad no kiss. I need anime with that. oh well. I'm glad she got his message. x.x

8 out of 10 for me.
Mar 21, 2019 12:06 AM

Jul 2014
LYNN did amazing work as Sakura, can't say the same for Haruki.
Her death was such a damn curve ball, but yeah, the movie did its work, it made me cry.. cry like a damn baby boi... been a while since I last cried like that, despite the similarity of this and Shigatsu (I actually cried reading Shigatsu, sadly the anime couldn't for some reason) tho the whole part of Sakura's letter to Haruki with that disney fairy tale like theme threw me off... I checked the manga one and I prefered that over what the anime did... really felt out of place, other than that this was a great movie.
Mar 21, 2019 10:51 AM

Aug 2016
Wow this movie was terrible.

It took the same tired formula of a girl rehabbing a main character and completely failed with it. It felt like they were really trying to hang their hat on the twist and thought it would make it more interesting but it didn't. It was just stupid. I felt nothing throughout the entire movie. Perhaps when the main guy started crying there was a little something there, but it just wasn't done well at all. This movie did all the predictable things. We all knew what was in her purse when he went into. It probably would've actually been better if they didn't try to use that twist and she died from the illness before something big was planned.

You had two characters harass the main character because of his involvement with the pancreas girl. He gave them zero indication that he is a bad or good person. But they treated him like he was a scumbag. Another character was there just to say "you want some gum" Wow! A full character dedicated to show the "growth" of the main guy and the fact that the bitchy girl and gum guy were dating at the end!

I don't even like your lie in april that much because of how overdramatic it was constantly. But my goodness that show SHITS on this one completely.
Mar 22, 2019 5:54 PM

Jun 2013
This was quite good. I like settings where they pair two random individuals with opposite personalities which in turns help develop their characters. But Sakura's death took me by a surprise even though foreshadowed. But at least she left behind a positive influence on our protagonist. It was good to see Kyoko and the Haruki getting along. Kind of surprised Kyoko and the nameless dude giving out gum are a couple. Lol that character had one freaking dialogue.
Mar 24, 2019 9:54 AM
Jul 2016
This was so good ! Making me remember the story of Shigatsu wa kimi no uso, but with a different plot twist.

Just to be sure, when Kyoko and the guy go to the Sakura house at the end, and the guy is saying "She's already waiting us there", it's for saying that her spirit will always be with them, right?
Mar 31, 2019 4:08 AM

Dec 2014
Damn, she didnt deserve to die like this :( ... i knew she was gonna die, but atleast peacefully not stabbed to death alone.
When they talked about the killer, and that you can die tomorrow at the vacation i was hoping it wont happen.
Oh well .. i need something happy now.
VA of Sakura did excelent job, really great performance.
I dont know why i watch those, i allways expect happy end but no, its allways feels train :( .
Apr 1, 2019 7:00 AM

Oct 2013
I-Jitsu said:
Kind of surprised Kyoko and the nameless dude giving out gum are a couple. Lol that character had one freaking dialogue.

Did I miss on anything? I don't think they are actually, but from the way I see it, our protagonist may have been the one offering chewing gums now (implying that he has now befriended at least few of his classmates including the gum-boy) and after a year of him being close together with Kyoko, "she's taken a liking to it (gum) recently" as she said in the ending. That post-ending credit scene was actually well-done and one of my favorite moments from the movie.

Only gripe I have with the movie was that murder scene as it suddenly changed the overall tone of the story. That might have been the reason why her death was basically told at the beginning of the movie, just so it would shock us with the suddenness of it but to be honest, I know that her death was inevitable and all but I would have preferred if she died due to her illness instead. The feeling of a life (albeit short) that is full of possibilities which would have been used to add more progress to their relationship getting cut short like that was the worst feeling you could ever get that it almost soured the movie for me.

Anyways, yeah, I have to agree that this movie was really good, I probably even like it more than Your Name or Your Lie in April just on feels alone. I think they've done a great job of getting Sakura as likable as she was that I'm already missing her even though I've only just watched the movie a moment ago. Also, at the hospital before the day of the fireworks scene, I wonder what Sakura would have asked or dared MC to do if she happened to win that round?

Apr 4, 2019 5:06 PM
Apr 2016
I kinda anticipated the outcome after Haruki arrived at home scene, it bugs me how the TV news broadcast covers the serial murderer that only set their victims on a highschool girls.
But my guess was on-spot. 30 minutes towards the end of the movie it happened!? and for a short moment I was very surprised how did it turned to be.

Regardless of how it turned out to be, I’m happy that they finally understand each other’s feelings through words... literally. 7/10
Apr 5, 2019 4:59 AM

Feb 2011
Tachii said:
XaiKun said:
I am just pissed by the fact that she was

Its gonna keep me frustrated for a few days..
I thought so at first but I think it really was just some random serial killer that was never introduced?

Having her die off screen from a random serial murderer that might have been shown on some TV program just screams lazy writing to me. It's as if the writer didn't really know how to end a story with a terminally ill young character and thought it was best to have a serial murderer kill her off instead.

I honestly thought the movie was average up to the point where this happened. It just made it all the more worse.

I completely agree with what you said about killing her off screen. I don't think it was a very inspired decision. Up to that point movie was a pretty enjoyable watch for me but when that happened it's like I just stopped caring lol
Apr 6, 2019 2:45 PM
Aug 2018
My only question regarding this anime: if they can make that she can live her life as nothing happened until she dies, then why can't they just do a pancreas transplant on her that may save her life? This is so stupid...
Apr 8, 2019 2:20 PM

Oct 2010
LOved this movie. Really powerful messages in it despite the tropey plotline. Haruki was also pretty dull at first by rightfully grew into a likeable character at the end. Which was the entire point lol. I hope more people see this film and enjoy it. Really is better the more you think about the things Sakura says. Ironic considering her mid-movie quote: "You are gravely mistaken if you think there's a purpose to everything I say".
Apr 9, 2019 4:51 PM

Jul 2012
Amazing movie. I did not expect it to be so good. I rarely sob during any movies but this one did the trick. Last time I cried was in "A Star is Born" in one of the final scenes and then here, I sobbed when he was checking her diary and she ends it off with that sentence, which is also what he sent as the last text. Brilliant.

Also, their names matched each other. Really, really well done.

I do agree with others that the way she died is so not well done.

At the moment, will keep my score at a low 9 but may drop to a 8 in the future. After all, it wasn't anything new. Just well done with the execution.
Apr 10, 2019 8:22 PM

Jul 2008
Yeah,,,,no.

The twist was so unnecessary.
Apr 14, 2019 5:08 AM

Nov 2018
Ah, what a beautiful movie. I loved everything about it. How casually the death jokes Sakura made, and she could only make them around Haruki and no one, he was the only one who could make her feel at ease like that despite him being asocial. Shows how one's considered negative traits can still save someone and not be as negative as thought of. Not to mention, Haruki's great character development and how mutual the bond was for both of them when it comes to positivity.
What can I say, I wanna give 9.5/10 at least. And you know what, I will just do that.
Apr 14, 2019 11:10 AM
Mar 2019
I just wanted a diferent ending
nearforceApr 20, 2019 9:13 AM
Apr 18, 2019 2:50 PM
Jan 2019
I think it is awesome
Apr 19, 2019 6:33 AM
Mar 2015
At beginning, you are given a clear cut ending; someone, the girl died.

I bet most people (including me) will not be overly sentimental because at the end we know she is dying and will die and that's how the plot is build over around. However, you really cannot expect how she died at the end. That is too sad and so abrupt. You cannot expect that happen in Tokyo.

I'll give 9/10 for overall plot, music, scenery, and moral story. But 0/10 for that abrupt scene.
Apr 19, 2019 10:48 AM

Jul 2017
@Dav_Leo - That scene was foreshadowed several times throughout the film.

- Me

Apr 20, 2019 5:12 PM

Dec 2009
The more conspicuous scenes that the anime changed their backgrounds were the beach and fireworks. Both scenes in the manga were in the hospital. The scene where Haruki cries in Sakura's house he stayed in her funeral spot, not the dinner table, ... etc.
A bit of dialogue from the manga was placed in different parts of the story or kinda revealed earlier.

From 10 chapters of a 4-5 hour reading session compressed into a 1:48 min movie, the movie displayed the more iconic arcs/scenes of the overall story, while leaving out the more thorough story of their character development, bond, (build up to scenes) and her various nick-names of him, as well as his many inner thoughts in how he feels about her, himself and the many things around him and his life.

The art from the manga is a lot more flat in its simple and childish character design style, while the anime is somewhat more mature in a style that is more suitable to their age of 17 years old.

Throughout the beginning till the end I was aching in pain, knowing what to expect in the ending because I completed the manga 5 days ago.
As hoped, the scene was as powerful as the manga, and I cried again when its revealed that she dies, and when he cries in front of Sakura's mother.

The messages from the story are beautiful, but, fuck, her death is fucking terrible. It still frustrates me.

When I first experienced it in the manga, I was expecting a typical normal death or hoping a cliche romance miracle, but I didn't realize the foreshadowing and actually forgot about that killer. It's really a depressing ending.

I was hoping they'd change the ending in the anime but oh well. Either way. In a small amount of time, in a span of 4 months for them, 4 hours in 10 chapters, for me. It was a beautiful bitter sweet experience that easily connected to my heart.

They would have been a great couple. Great romance, even though it's depressing. 8/10.
Pages (8) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Am I the only one not feeling any attachment to Sakura, making the whole movie less sad?

griddyweeb - May 21

23 by Ronnieboi6980 »»
Jun 10, 7:44 PM

» *SPOILER* did anyone cry in this movie? ( 1 2 )

ichigo23sterling - Apr 11, 2021

93 by Bruh69XD »»
Jun 4, 5:55 PM

» That video game song

Masta_Don - May 9

4 by Masta_Don »»
May 11, 3:12 PM

» The only movie I refuse to rewatch.

dmdm597 - Jul 21, 2022

48 by v-ega »»
Apr 17, 11:58 AM

» Please explain me the ending (Spoilers)

Anime_lover_2004 - May 8, 2020

16 by Atsunome »»
Jan 11, 5:26 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.