Forum Settings
Forums

Share and discuss your unpopular perspectives on highly-acclaimed anime series

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Oct 10, 2018 1:07 PM

May 2017
TTGL is just a decent anime, not a masterpiece as some want to make it seem.

Most episodes are boring, without a clear direction and some of them are terribly animated.

Second half is even worse, it's just a big mess, especially those last episodes.

There are a few interesting characters but I don't care about most of the others.I don't even care about Simon.

There are plenty of better Mecha Anime that aren't as regarded as TTGL , this isn't even in my top 5 Mecha Anime.

I guess it's all about aesthetics and shit like that ://
Oct 10, 2018 1:13 PM

Apr 2018
"Shingeki no Kyojin is philosophically deep. It explored in depth the various ethical ideals are formed in a society which is under the condition of perpetual existential threat, how those ideals play out their conflict, the tragedy of disillusionment of the idealists, and the moral ambivalence of the Machiavellian pragmatists."

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Shingeki no Kyojin. The humour is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of Machiavellian philosophy, most of the jokes will go over a typical viewer's head. There's also Eren's nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into his characterisation- his personal philosophy draws heavily from Narodnaya Volya literature, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these jokes, to realise that they're not just funny- they say something deep about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike Shingeki no Kyojin truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn't appreciate, for instance, the humour in Eren's existential catchphrase "please end my fucking suffering," which itself is a cryptic reference to Turgenev's Russian epic Fathers and Sons. I'm smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as Hajime Isayama's genius wit unfolds itself on their television screens. What fools.. how I pity them xD
Oct 10, 2018 1:16 PM

Oct 2014
@GlennMagusHarvey, what does it mean on your dropped list where you rate shows you haven't finished an episode of, or just 1 episode?

I don't believe in the Devil.
You should. He believes in you.
Oct 10, 2018 1:19 PM

May 2009
Lunilah said:
@GlennMagusHarvey, what does it mean on your dropped list where you rate shows you haven't finished an episode of, or just 1 episode?
It means that I formed an opinion on a show within the time of one episode.

Typically, for a dropped show, that opinion tends to be bad.

But sometimes it's actually pretty good and indicates that I might return to it sometime later when I'm more in the mood for it, or if someone else where to say a few more good things about it relative to my taste, but it's sufficiently low-priority that I don't feel like putting it on the PTW or On-Hold.
GlennMagusHarveyOct 10, 2018 1:24 PM
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Oct 10, 2018 1:31 PM

Jun 2014
Stripes said:
iunne said:

Anohana: I could never have expected to be as little attached (no, actually, so completely unattached) to MCs of a drama/sad anime as I have been to Menma and Jinta, with the exception of Koe no Katachi. But I mean, people are attached to different characters so I'm not invalidating your opinion. Just stating that I feel the opposite.

Did you find the other characters interesting? Other than Tetsu they were all pretty shallow. I'm not saying Menma and Jinta were phenomenal but their family life is explored and their relationship just seemed the strongest in the whole group. It's basically like "Yep I can see why this group wasn't friends with each other after a certain point, they all are way too caught up in themselves."

No, I didn't. Simply because I can't relate in the slightest. And yeah, they were shallow and 1-dimensional. So it's not like I lost a close friend that I was in love with when I was a child or anything, but I don't think I'd ever hold onto something in the past to that degree, nor remain in love with someone I "loved" in elementary school and haven't interacted with since.
Oct 10, 2018 1:35 PM

Jul 2017
#LetsFight

.30 characters filler.
Oct 10, 2018 2:02 PM

Aug 2013
Monogatari is one of my favorite franchises, but sometimes NisioIsin takes advantage of his cult status to write a lot of shit dialogue and blatant exposition because he knows his fans will swallow anything he creates. And it works wonders.

Gendo Ikari is stylish and imponent but a terrible character. We are never given a good enough reason as to why he acts the way he does, and the way it was revealed was pretty dumb, like they had forgotten about that and had to quickly give a reason as to why he was such a dick. No wonder Anno retconned his motivations in the Rebirth movies.

Devilman Crybaby improves the original story in virtually everything. I can't think of a single positive point of the manga apart from the art, which is great. Driven by shock value and continuous exposition, a bunch of cardboards washed away in blood, shallow attempts at touching serious subjects and use of unfounded data. At least crybaby tried to give the story some kind of depth.

Ghost in the Shell is not that deep, but the anime is a giant improvement on the manga.

FMAB is great, but the last arc was boring af while we were waiting for the other shoe to drop. I got really tired of so much senseless POV changing fighting (specially because almost none of them was particularly interesting, save perhaps for the MustangxEnvy one) and so little plot progression.

Naruto is the same thing. The whole manga was good in my memory, and then the final war arc made me drop it, because it was so boring and seemed to never go anywhere.

The second season of 3-gatsu isn't all that better than the first (both were great).

Koi wa Ameagari no You ni was the best show of its season.

AnoHana is full of dull and uncharismatic characters and the anime tries to make us care about them through a lot of crying instead of making them interesting in the first place.

Kekkai Sensen is one of most conceptually interesting battle shounen out there, though I understand why people didn't care much about it.
Satyr_iconOct 11, 2018 2:01 AM
Oct 10, 2018 3:08 PM

Sep 2017
X is bad because Y and Z. Thanks for reading.
Edward Elric > your waifu

Oct 10, 2018 4:22 PM
Sep 2018
1) akame ga kill was just plain bad as soon as the characters started to get killed off

2)happy sugar life just made me cringe as the series went on

3) erased was so blatantly obvious

Oct 10, 2018 4:23 PM

Aug 2018
NARUTO: actually has a decent story, an interesting world and the characters have a personality.

VIOLET EVERGARDEN: it's a generic show with generic characters and no personality... nice art and animation, nothing else.

GRAND BLUE: despite being centered about college is childish and inmature af, repetive and boring with no creativity and a lot of abuse of funny faces. Disgusting show.

ONE PIECE: SHIT ART, CHARACTER and PLOT.

RE: ZERO: Subaru is a pretty realistic character and everybody hates him because he shows how ugly a normal person can be in some extreme situations... EMILIA BEST GIRL...

ANIME IN GENERAL: old and new shows can be great or bad, there is no golden age of anime. Lot of people group up great old shows while they have 6 years of difference.
Oct 10, 2018 4:36 PM

Jan 2015
C_M_ said:
This thread smells like a potential salt mine, but who knows, maybe this will be an agreeable and wholesome discussion where rather than, you have shit taste, die, we'll see, you have the tastiest shit taste.

I feel personally offended because that's exactly what I was thinking about this bloke:
xShinigami3125 said:
FmaB the two Mcs are uninteresting characters and the final fight is boring.

Oct 10, 2018 5:03 PM
Oct 2017
Re:zero: people hate subaru ‘cause they think “if it was me, I would do that” - no, you wouldn’t, he was scary, proprably you would do the same or worse
FMAB: 25 episodes and nothing happen, it was 2 seasons, almost 6 months, really, this show is boring, the end was boring
Fairy Tail: the first 3 seasons was really cool, enjoyable
Naruto: should ended after pain’s death
Monogatari series: gets really boring after monogatari: second season(still can’t watch owarimonogatari, so boring)
Tokyo ghoul: the kaneki from the anime sucks, disgusting af
Eromanga-sensei: it was really enjoyable, if you are not expecting a deep plot from a moe-semi incest anime
Death note: people think is edgy, I think they are cringe
One Piece: New World is boring, after 6 years(anime), still boring
Oct 10, 2018 5:14 PM

Sep 2018
Fullmetal Alchemist 2003 was better than Brotherhood and far more interesting
Oct 10, 2018 6:15 PM

Sep 2016
It's difficult to say which anime are highly acclaimed because it's all subjective, so I listed those with a weighted average of at least 8.00 and 300.000 members. There are some exceptions, but that's because they are sequels.

- AnoHana: The characters aren't particularly interesting or likable and Menma could've easily made her existence known to the others, which makes the story turn into a bit of a joke. Scored: 5/10.

- Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso: It's one of those shows that focuses heavily on characters clearly being infatuated with each other, but without containing any physical or verbal confession whatsoever, which I find irritating. It's also boring to watch and I don't care about the characters. Only the music is good. Scored: 3/10.

- Boku Dake ga Inai Machi: What could've been an interesting show about Satoru using Revival to avert disaster gets thrown out of the window as soon as he gets sent to 1988 in favour of a generic love story with one of the most obvious villains I have ever seen. I also like adult Satoru more, whom you don't see often enough. Scored: 3/10.

- Ghost in the Shell: The plot is mediocre, the characters are uninteresting and there is zero character development. The great setting and somewhat interesting philosophy aren't enough to make up for that. Scored: 4/10.

- Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun: When an anime has the comedy and romance tags, it has to be either funny or actually romantic. This anime fails at both. The characters are the only thing I like. Scored: 3/10.

- KonoSuba: It's not funny at all, the lack of a plot is a major flaw for a Fantasy anime, the setting isn't even remotely interesting, the characters only fight random enemies and Beldia gets killed off for no reason (this isn't a serious anime so it was unnecessary). The only characters I like are Darkness and Beldia. I can see why people like Kazuma, but Aqua and Megumin are nothing special. Scored: 2/10.

- Overlord: The setting is boring, it lacks character development and some characters aren't even relevant to the plot. They are tasked with defending the guild, but there is no need to when no one is powerful enough to pose a threat. It's a shame because there are some good action scenes, Momonga has fantastic character design, and you don't see villain protagonists often. Scored: 4/10.

- Kyoukai no Kanata Movie 2: It feels pointless and it's obvious that Akihito and Mirai are infatuated with each other, but nothing happens. Another one of those fake 'romance' stories. This is rated much higher than the TV season for some reason, but it's actually worse. Scored: 3/10.

- Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Movie 3: Just like Kyoukai no Kanata Movie 2, this feels like a pointless extension of the story because the TV season already had a complete ending. In addition, it's terrible because barely anything makes sense. It's like putting a turd on a delicious cake. Scored: 2/10.

- Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann: Most of the characters have little to no development and there are also a bunch that have little screen time. Which made me not care when some of them died later in the show. One of the main characters dies way too early and he is one of the few characters I kind of liked. I understand that it's necessary for Simon to develop as a character, but it should have been handled differently because it happened not even halfway through the show, which is a waste. It should've happened right before the time skip, not several episodes before. Speaking of the time skip, that's when the show finally starts getting interesting. At least until Rossiu's arc ends. The only thing that's really good is the final fight against the Anti-Spiral. Scored: 3/10.

- Serial Experiments Lain: The most boring anime I've seen so far. At one point, I started skipping through the episode, which I normally don't do. The visuals and dialogue are consistently nonsensical, sometimes not even being related to the plot. It's a fucking mess. A lot of people like to pretend that this anime is deep. I find Masami Eiri more interesting than Lain and he reminds me of Ghetsis Harmonia. He is the only thing that saves this from being irredeemable. Scored: 2/10.

- Neon Genesis Evangelion & End of Evangelion: The plot is mediocre, the setting is boring and it has a cast of characters I don't care about. The pacing in episode 24 is so ludicrous that a new character gets introduced and then killed in the same episode. A character who is featured prominently on the cover, no less. You would expect him to appear much earlier, with a significant amount of development. The last two episodes of the TV season and the entire second half of the movie are just like Serial Experiments Lain, there is a lot of pseudo 'deep' bullshit thrown at you. They don't explain a lot of things and you're encouraged to come up with your own theory. Many people have to resort to reading articles and listening to others' opinions, and the lack of a single true meaning results in pointless speculation and theories that conflict with each other. I consider that as an artistic failure. Scored: 3/10 (TV season), 2/10 (movie).

- Kizumonogatari I, II & III: These are the weakest parts of the franchise and that is because the dialogue is lacking, and the setting and music are very different. I also don't like how Koyomi keeps acting like a lunatic at first. Each new movie is better than the last, but all of them aren't nearly as good as some of the other entries like Monogatari Series: Second Season, Bakemonogatari and Hanamonogatari. The visuals do look good although exaggerated, like I don't recall Hanekawa and Shinobu constantly having red cheeks in the rest of the series. Scored: 4/10 (first movie), 5/10 (second movie), 6/10 (third movie).

Still on the subject of Monogatari, there are some anime that I have unpopular perspectives on, but don't dislike and Owarimonogatari 2nd Season is one of them. It's good, but not amazing. The first season and the other ones I have mentioned are all better. Another one is Suzumiya Haruhi no Shoushitsu. It's an outstanding movie, but I consider the 2009 TV season (particularly Endless Eight) as the best part of the series. And then there is Fairy Tail, which is consistently flawed, but I found it very enjoyable to watch and I like the comedy. I also like some of the characters, especially Juvia.
Apoc_RevolutionOct 10, 2018 7:04 PM

Oct 10, 2018 7:31 PM

Aug 2013
Apoc_Revolution said:
The pacing in episode 24 is so ludicrous that a new character gets introduced and then killed in the same episode. A character who is featured prominently on the cover, no less. You would expect him to appear much earlier, with a significant amount of development.

Even though he appeared in only one episode he became quite revered among the fanbase and still is to this day. This is why he's so proeminent when taking NGE in consideration, basically fanservice (wouldn't be surprised if because of fujos). I never cared much about him, but eh.

Apoc_Revolution said:
Many people have to resort to reading articles and listening to others' opinions, and the lack of a single true meaning results in pointless speculation and theories that conflict with each other. I consider that as an artistic failure. Scored: 3/10 (TV season), 2/10 (movie).

But doesn't that happen with virtually every franchise? Even the Harry Potter series which is pretty straight forward and not cryptic at all is room to an abundance of fan speculation, I'd say even more than that of NGE, to the point the author started retconning stuff to fit those fan theories (and take the credit like she had actually thought of it all along since the day she created the story).

Nevertheless, I don't think NGE is as cryptic as people say. Of course they leave a lot of things unsaid and encourage people to come up with theories, but NGE had everything that was necessary to tell the story it intended, and EoE even gave more than a sense of closure than it was called for (though I'm still split about liking it or not). I had problems with it the first time I watched it years ago, but recently I've watched it again and it wasn't half as weird or confusing as I remember, and I actually enjoyed it quite a lot.

I would say this is less NGE's fault, and more a problem with fans, who are always obsessed with dissecting their favorite fiction as much as possible, even to find things that weren't even there in the first place. Specially considering that Anno said all the christian allegory was put there because they thought it was cool and different from other anime of its time (and this pretty much screams at you while watching the series), but people still try to fit them within their theories.
Oct 10, 2018 9:20 PM

Feb 2015
MichaelJackson said:
CHC said:
Please specify your reasons for your opinions.

Mine:

1) Code Geass' ending is bad because it rests on an over-simplistic view on the nature of political conflict.

2) Shingeki no Kyojin is philosophically deep. It explored in depth the various ethical ideals are formed in a society which is under the condition of perpetual existential threat, how those ideals play out their conflict, the tragedy of disillusionment of the idealists, and the moral ambivalence of the Machiavellian pragmatists.

3) Serial Experiments Lain is good because of its style alone. Thematically it is a mix bag of random quasi-philosophical ideas or cliches about personal identity. The show has never asked any coherent philosophical question.

4) Shirobako has painted a way too idealized picture of the industry and actively avoided dapping into any controversial topic like workplace politics. Most dramatic conflicts in the show is about opposing artistic opinions or personal struggle in reaching artistic height, not a single decision that was made by the staff of Musashino Animation was based on commercial, financial, or any other non-artistic consideration.

5) Kimi no Na wa. is a mediocre anime that mixes popular cliches in anime (gender swap, time-traveling, sekaikei) but have nothing unique to say. The romance between two persons who never met and interact directly is so unconvincing and underdeveloped that it looks like it's written by someone who have zero romantic experience in real life.

6) Nagi no Asu kara is boring and messy. The characters are flat and cliched. They seem to have nothing else to care in their life other than being sad about their position in the love polygon. The supernatural setting of the show is very contrived and it serves no other function than conveniently cause a stir whenever the dynamic of the love polygon is running into a dead-end.

7) K-On! is a genuinely great show because of its attention to details and its very subtle way to develop its characters.

your perspective on AoT is unpopular now, but it will be popular after some decades when the hype decreases

i hope im not alive long enough to see that.
Oct 10, 2018 9:23 PM

Aug 2016
KurtvonSteiger said:
MichaelJackson said:

your perspective on AoT is unpopular now, but it will be popular after some decades when the hype decreases

.................I´m fine with that
:v
Oct 10, 2018 9:31 PM

Oct 2010
One Piece is more interesting when you talk about it not watch it. Watching it feel like watching the grass grow.

For an action show SAO doesn't have that much action, 2min and the fight is over.

Death Note - it's stupid that Light didn't kill N when he had 2 clean chances. Why not kill N and after that Ryuk writes his name, end.

Cowboy Bebop is so boring even the music makes you sleepy.
Oct 10, 2018 9:39 PM

Feb 2015
MichaelJackson said:
KurtvonSteiger said:

.................I´m fine with that
........suppose i walked into that one
Oct 10, 2018 10:11 PM
Mar 2018
ThatRazorGuy said:
- Devilman Crybaby > The original Devilman manga

*gasp!* my medication!
I've went for the classic collection and apart from the time travel stuff I have the opposite feeling on that. The manga is cheesy but I can still enjoy it, crybaby was try hard edgy and didn't know how to write some of the classic villians, jinmen I wish I could forget and I have no idea why they slow burnt sirene, despite the fight being almost the same
Oct 10, 2018 10:16 PM

Sep 2016
meatbun_ said:
Apoc_Revolution said:
The pacing in episode 24 is so ludicrous that a new character gets introduced and then killed in the same episode. A character who is featured prominently on the cover, no less. You would expect him to appear much earlier, with a significant amount of development.

Even though he appeared in only one episode he became quite revered among the fanbase and still is to this day. This is why he's so proeminent when taking NGE in consideration, basically fanservice (wouldn't be surprised if because of fujos). I never cared much about him, but eh.

I don't know much about how the anime industry operates, but I thought cover pictures are finished before the anime starts airing. Which makes it misleading when he only appears in one episode, regardless of how popular he eventually became.

meatbun_ said:
Apoc_Revolution said:
Many people have to resort to reading articles and listening to others' opinions, and the lack of a single true meaning results in pointless speculation and theories that conflict with each other. I consider that as an artistic failure.

But doesn't that happen with virtually every franchise? Even the Harry Potter series which is pretty straight forward and not cryptic at all is room to an abundance of fan speculation, I'd say even more than that of NGE, to the point the author started retconning stuff to fit those fan theories (and take the credit like she had actually thought of it all along since the day she created the story).

Nevertheless, I don't think NGE is as cryptic as people say. Of course they leave a lot of things unsaid and encourage people to come up with theories, but NGE had everything that was necessary to tell the story it intended, and EoE even gave more than a sense of closure than it was called for (though I'm still split about liking it or not). I had problems with it the first time I watched it years ago, but recently I've watched it again and it wasn't half as weird or confusing as I remember, and I actually enjoyed it quite a lot.

I would say this is less NGE's fault, and more a problem with fans, who are always obsessed with dissecting their favorite fiction as much as possible, even to find things that weren't even there in the first place. Specially considering that Anno said all the christian allegory was put there because they thought it was cool and different from other anime of its time (and this pretty much screams at you while watching the series), but people still try to fit them within their theories.

Yes, but it's a different kind of speculation, where possible answers may come in the future as long as the series doesn't end or get cancelled. But Evangelion clearly intends on not revealing the truth (there isn't even a single truth in the first place) so I don't see any point in speculating about things that will never get confirmed.

Oct 10, 2018 10:49 PM
Aug 2014
To not go after easy targets:

Kino's Journey is nothing special. It doesn't seem to really excel in any particular area and for a philosophical show, it's rather basic and surface-level, and rarely attempts to ever "really" explore its ideas. I have honestly no clue how this one is so well-regarded.

Rose of Versailles is an absolute comedy prior to its second half and even when Dezaki takes it up, he's done better work on titles such as Ashita no Joe 2 or Ie Naki Ko. It relies too much upon seemingly 1D villains with shallow motivations to create drama, and has plenty of unresolved plot threads which merely take up time and lead nowhere.

Princess Tutu unfortunately suffers from having a lot of characters that exist for a single episode just to move the plot forward. These characters never come back and aren't really well explored either. Deeper into the show it becomes especially formulaic to the point where it's grating, with the character conflicts introduced for the most part again, existing solely for the episode as it moves forward at a snail's pace. It's supposed "meta" elements are included, though I don't feel that the series actually does anything that interesting with them aside from having a story trying to rewrite itself out of a "bad ending." May need to rewatch it, but honestly found most of it to be nothing special.

Takarajima is utterly laughable, stupid and has extremely bland direction by Dezaki's standards. His signature postcard memories are included, but they don't seem placed during key scenes and where they're put don't carry the same weight as they usually do, such as the end of key episodes. So much of it seems especially cheesy and by the time it finishes, it doesn't even feel like an adventure has taken place. It is a slog all the way to the end. The opening is probably better than the show itself to be honest.

Urusei Yatsura: Beautiful Dreamer feels like one of the weaker Oshii works I've seen. It's completely outclassed by stuff like Patlabor 2 and his direction within it isn't even particularly brilliant. It's different from the series, but a lot of it still remains loud, obnoxious and overly-zany. It is not something that a lot of people have seen, but seems massively overpraised as a cult classic.

There are plenty more, but these seem like some of the most glaring titles that are regarded as great by most who've actually completed them.
KonakanaOct 10, 2018 10:52 PM
Oct 10, 2018 11:02 PM

Aug 2013
Apoc_Revolution said:

I don't know much about how the anime industry operates, but I thought cover pictures are finished before the anime starts airing. Which makes it misleading when he only appears in one episode, regardless of how popular he eventually became.

Actually, I do believe the cover featured on MAL was probably created as post-promotional material. If you look around for more posters of the show, even the other ones here on MAL, you'll see that virtually none of them features Kaworu, and that the only stuff you'll find on the internet with him were released after the time the show aired, like CDs, DVDs, books and such. Not even TV commercials from 1995 (which I'll post below) featured him, which would be weird since they already had promotional material with him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGoFRGsmMfo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvfJVhqxOs0

Apoc_Revolution said:
Yes, but it's a different kind of speculation, where possible answers may come in the future as long as the series doesn't end or get cancelled. But Evangelion clearly intends on not revealing the truth (there isn't even a single truth in the first place) so I don't see any point in speculating about things that will never get confirmed.

Well, not really. HP ended more than ten years ago (though there are still spoils of war everywhere because it prints money), but to this day people keep coming with useless theories about it, and everytime the lazy part of the media does a huge hubbub around it. I believe that's just the way fandom works. This one just came out two days ago.
https://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/films/1028975/Harry-Potter-fan-theory-Hermione-homeless-Obliviate

Which is why I believe the problem with speculation around Evangelion is more a superfluous fandom thing than the anime not supplying people with enough answers. I mean, I watched Evangelion, was satisfied with the answers it offered, and see no need to delve into idle speculation. Whatever truth wasn't revealed, it's not something people should bother about. But unfortunately, some people just love scrutinizing their beloved works to the point it gets obnoxious.
Satyr_iconOct 10, 2018 11:05 PM
Oct 11, 2018 1:08 AM

Mar 2018
silent_knight98 said:
CHC said:

1) Code Geass' ending is bad because it rests on an over-simplistic view on the nature of political conflict.

And i also would like to point out one thing :- Its Incomplete.

"Watchmen" went the same way though and this is why Ozymandias acted the way he did.
Oct 11, 2018 1:19 AM

Jan 2016
FLCL (original) & 3-Gatsu no Lion are complete trash heaps.
▾ Check Out My Original Series ▾

▾ Check Out My Blog ▾
Oct 11, 2018 1:25 AM

Mar 2018
LunaUri said:

Why? I guess you have not read the original post. No unsubstantiated claims without backup.
Oct 11, 2018 1:28 AM

Mar 2018
zal said:
huntress1013 said:
Akira: Yes the animation is seriously quite something but when it comes to the story it falls really short of its mark compared to the manga but then again that was expected. Akira should have been an anime show.
Or adapted when Otomo actually had developed how the story would end. The anime airs 2 years before the end of the manga without counting the time the movie was in production already.

I didn't know that but that explains a lot. They simply should have waited until the manga had been finished. Anime original endings are seldom good.
Oct 11, 2018 1:32 AM

Jan 2016
huntress1013 said:
LunaUri said:

Why? I guess you have not read the original post. No unsubstantiated claims without backup.

• I absolutely hate Fooly Cooly. The only interesting character, Mamimi Samejima, is quickly shafted for the psychotic maniac pixie dream girl (Haruko). Would this series still be relevant if it weren’t for GAINAX’s animation and The Pillows’ musical talent? No. The characters and the story suck… which is why FLCL Progressive fell flat.

• 3-Gatsu no Lion is complete trash; excess in monologues, pretentious characters, and self-pity. No thanks!

▾ Check Out My Blog ▾
Oct 11, 2018 1:34 AM

Jan 2016

• Overlord is boring and stupid chuunibyo crap that is completely pointless and the waifus aren’t even worth the watch.

• ReLife is a creepy, self-insert, wish-fulfillment fantasy that was boring and had irritating character developments and interactions.

• Shingeki no Kyojin has zero likable characters and the story relies too heavily on shock effect and character deaths that no one cares about (because they refuse to kill off any of the “fan favorites”).

▾ Check Out My Blog ▾
Oct 11, 2018 1:39 AM

Jan 2016
ResKori said:
I actually enjoyed the subtlety of Wolf Rain. (I highly acclaim it.)
The way the characters hid their gayness behind their wolf forms was genius. Licking their wounds was really kawaii sexy-chan.
The opening was simply superb.

Kiba, Hige, &
weren’t gay though?

▾ Check Out My Blog ▾
Oct 11, 2018 1:51 AM

Aug 2013
huntress1013 said:
Akira: Yes the animation is seriously quite something but when it comes to the storytelling it falls really short of its mark compared to the manga but then again that was expected. Akira should have been an anime show.

heh, for me it has always been the opposite. I thought the Akira manga was a mess of never-ending and mindless action that got boring after the second volume with some not so compelling attempts at philosophy and plot scattered here and there, so I liked how contained the movie was.

LunaUri said:
• 3-Gatsu no Lion is complete trash; excess in monologues, pretentious characters, and self-pity. No thanks!

Excess in monologues: what's the problem with that?

Pretentious characters: why?

Self-pity: I believe we may have watched completely different anime. If anything, 3-gatsu goes completely against self-pity. That's the whole deal with Rei's stepbrothers: they gave up without trying, while Rei pushed forward and became a professional instead of lying down and whining. The whole anime is about overcoming difficulties and trying hard to become a better person, so I really don't know where you're coming from.
Satyr_iconOct 11, 2018 2:22 AM
Oct 11, 2018 1:56 AM

Jan 2016
meatbun_ said:
huntress1013 said:
Akira: Yes the animation is seriously quite something but when it comes to the storytelling it falls really short of its mark compared to the manga but then again that was expected. Akira should have been an anime show.

heh, for me it has always been the opposite. I thought the Akira manga was a mess of never-ending and mindless action that got boring after the second volume with some not so compelling attempts at philosophy and plot scattered here and there, so I liked how contrived the movie was.

LunaUri said:

Excess in monologues: what's the problem with that?

Pretentious characters: why?

Self-pity: I believe we may have watched completely different anime. If anything, 3-gatsu goes completely against self-pity. That's the whole deal with Rei's stepbrothers: they gave up without trying, while Rei pushed forward and became a professional instead of lying down and whining. The whole anime is about overcoming difficulties and trying hard to become a better person, so I really don't know where you're coming from.

He had many things that people would dream of & a family of people who deeply supported him & a base of people who would were devoted to him & yet every episode was full of angsty monologues & allegorical drowning. As someone who was in a similar position, you take what you can get. I was disappointed because I liked the mangaka’s previous work: Honey & Clover.

▾ Check Out My Blog ▾
Oct 11, 2018 2:20 AM

Aug 2013
LunaUri said:
He had many things that people would dream of & a family of people who deeply supported him & a base of people who would were devoted to him & yet every episode was full of angsty monologues & allegorical drowning. As someone who was in a similar position, you take what you can get.

He took what he could get, though, but that doesn't mean it solves all his problems. That's how depression works, it doesn't matter how good things are going for him. Change won't come from night to day, specially when you lose your whole family in an unfortunate accident and ends up tearing apart the other who took you in just by being who you are. But the fact that he kept plowing ahead instead of lying down and giving up like his stepsiblings just shows how this is not about self-pity, it's about standing up and doing something about it, even if he doesn't even see a reason to do so. The whole point of his character is that he's trying hard to overcome his own weaknesses, and the progression of his relationship with the other characters show that as well, specially in the 2nd season as he becomes even more engrossed with everybody.
Oct 11, 2018 2:27 AM

Jul 2017
Kimi no Na Wa is garbo although gotta say art and sounds are pretty nice.
Oct 11, 2018 2:45 AM
Jul 2018
Spirited away, is boring and has nothing good about it except the animation, it's not a series but still

And dbz is shitty, over-stretched
Oct 11, 2018 2:49 AM
Sep 2017
For a thread about unpopular opinions, some opinions really are too popular.

> Your Name is trash
Not unpopular at all.

>Snk is boring because it relies on shock value and the deaths are predictable.
Very popular opinion.

>Anohana is trash because manipulative dramas are manipulative.
That is the very opposite of an unpopular opinion.

My 'unpopular' opinions

> If OPM is the pinaccle of comedy, Inferno Cop is the pinnacle of animation.

> Spirited Away is liked exactly why?? Is there something I've missed in that movie? Why is it so great??

>Redline has an unappealing artstyle.

>Your Name has actually good animation, and everybody who says WAAA THE ARTSTYLE IS SOO SHINY IT HURTS MY EYES 1970s HAD THE BEST ANIMATION SHINKAI SUUUCKS are overreacting babies searching for more reasons to hate the movie. We all know it was no masterpiece, calm the fuck down.

iunne said:

Koe no Katachi is probably the most boring anime movie I've watched. Why do people even compare it to Kimi no na wa? Kimi no na wa is also overrated in the plot and characters aspect, but at least its visuals and sound are praiseworthy.

Thank God I'm not alone in thinking this.

Edited to add:

> Yuasa's art style is overrated, doesn't suck, but is not that great either. Stop treating as it's the only thing he is good with.

>Erased was actually good, it didn't adapt the manga completely, but it's not abomination people make it out to be.
Knightmare_YKOct 11, 2018 3:09 AM
“There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground ... and miss."
Oct 11, 2018 3:00 AM

Aug 2016
I'm disappointed that almost nobody mentioned Overrated x Overrated
Oct 11, 2018 3:25 AM
穂乃果は神

Oct 2015
One Piece is still enjoyable to me after the timeskip. I really like the Straw Hats and how every character is involved with the plot. The anime has been sloppy and even slower paced, but I have the patience to sit through it and see how the story unfolds. The anime is also quite good at adapting most of the things Oda writes (not everything, in fact I feel like Marineford was better in the Manga).

I see many people on the internet criticizing One Piece (mainly anime) after the timeskip, so it makes me wonder why people even think it's an unpopular perspective, or even why I'm writing this.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 11, 2018 3:27 AM

Jan 2016
meatbun_ said:
LunaUri said:
He had many things that people would dream of & a family of people who deeply supported him & a base of people who would were devoted to him & yet every episode was full of angsty monologues & allegorical drowning. As someone who was in a similar position, you take what you can get.

He took what he could get, though, but that doesn't mean it solves all his problems. That's how depression works, it doesn't matter how good things are going for him. Change won't come from night to day, specially when you lose your whole family in an unfortunate accident and ends up tearing apart the other who took you in just by being who you are. But the fact that he kept plowing ahead instead of lying down and giving up like his stepsiblings just shows how this is not about self-pity, it's about standing up and doing something about it, even if he doesn't even see a reason to do so. The whole point of his character is that he's trying hard to overcome his own weaknesses, and the progression of his relationship with the other characters show that as well, specially in the 2nd season as he becomes even more engrossed with everybody.

My impressions are only from the first season, since I didn’t care to watch more. It would be one thing if it was an accurate portrayal of depression, but, instead, it languishes in it & even though the supporting characters, aside from Kyouko, practically do nothing but support him & praise him to the point where they’re unrealistic human beings, what I typically call the “two-dimensional support-puppet trope.” When Rei refuses to recognize that he has hoards of really good people in his corner, that’s not just trauma/depressionーthat’s an irritating degree of self-entitlement. It would be different if there was a change with him in the first season & he developed from a nauseating onlooker that casts harsh judgements on others (even making fun of an older man that is an alcoholic & going through a divorce), but there’s never that closure in the second cour. I would hope that the second season would be better, but the first season was a complete waste of time. SHAFT’s directorial has become too hammy over the years. Also, he gets abused by his step-siblings for his foster father liking him more than his own kids, that’s far from the worst scenario! Foster/step-children are often mean/abusive naturally to newcomers in a family!

Benefits of being Rei:
• A professional shogi career.
• Unanimous accolades from everyone, except his bipolar step-sister.
• A family who unconditionally loves him and takes care of him, even though he's not related to them by blood.
• Friends and a school teacher that go out of their way to cheer him up.

Many of his daily angsts aren’t even about the death of his family; he refuses to eat because he loses a shogi match & followed by a monologue of self-pity! His step-siblings are gross caricatures, much like most of the cast. Sure, he can wake up, go to school, & work, but I question the quality of his character & the point of potraying a survivor of trauma in such a absurdly pretentious & self-absorbed way.
JuneNephthysOct 11, 2018 3:31 AM

▾ Check Out My Blog ▾
Oct 11, 2018 5:23 AM
Dragon Idol

May 2017
Cardcaptor Sakura as a whole.
The first 30 or so episodes are incredibly boring.
After these you have ONE interesting arc but then it starts going back to being boring.
Once it picks up again it never reaches the height the previous arc did.
And while the ending is cliché, it does feel deserved.

The clear card arc prologue tosses all of that out of the window, goes full on boring and presents the most clichéd solution you can possibly think of. Absolute garbage.

Koe no Katachi
While I haven't watched the movie I did read part of the comic, I say part because I nearly barfed due to where it was going and dropped it once I got my stomach under control again.

Who in their right mind even tries to write a romantic tale about a bullying victim and that person's bully.
There are some things you just don't do and this is one of them.
Some people truly are sick.
Oct 11, 2018 5:56 AM

Aug 2016
VIOLET EVERGARDEN: Is a boring show, with an unrealistic boring MC, the whole no emotion, doesn't know what love, is a load of bull. A child soldier would most likely have anger issues and a twisted view on love. The episodes are written so heavy handed, trying to bash you over the head with emotion, killing any real feels.

5CM PER SECOND, GARDEN OF WORDS & JOURNEY TO AGARTHA > YOUR NAME

PSYCHO PASS: Had an interesting concept, but the Sybil System was too vague. The writer & director couldn't decide how it worked, hence why season 2 was such a mess.

DANMACHI: Has proven that you don't need to choose between an Isekai or a fantasy, just slap them together in a messy paste and throw in Bewwwwbbbbs!

“I just spent the last two years thinking that you guys knew more than me about life and I just found out that you guys are just as dumb as me.” “Duh-doy.” “Yeah, duh-doy.”
Oct 11, 2018 6:00 AM

May 2018
Wow, you guys have written everything for me. I agree with 99% of your posts!
Except that I like better FMA:B than FMA 2003.

I really like the mange of Death Note but the anime was unwatchable so I dropped it. People say that the adaption in second prat was badly rushed.

And about K-On, how anyone could mistake it for a "highly-acclaimed anime series"?
It is a funny little "cute girls doing cute things" anime, nothing ambitious.
Don't judge it too harsh!
alshuOct 11, 2018 6:53 AM
Oct 11, 2018 6:07 AM

Aug 2013
Shigatsu had a nice art and a good sound, the characters weren't even that bad but the MC's trauma was treated in a way too irrealistic and simplicistic way; after that the whole anime lost any meaning to me.

Subaru is one of the most realistic characters I've seen, he was an average loser with nothing particular about him and he gets thrown in that mess. Of couse he's idiotic, I'd be worse than him.
What ruined the anime was Rem's confession, it was clearly just a delusion that the writer wanted to show to the readers that are messed up enough to indentify with Subaru.
Oct 11, 2018 6:08 AM

Apr 2018
hunter x hunter 2011 is the MOST overpraised anime ever. it is not a masterpiece and not even remotely close. it suffers from the same asspulls and plot contrivances just like other shonen series such as

Oct 11, 2018 6:08 AM

Apr 2018
hunter x hunter 2011 is the MOST overpraised anime ever. it is not a masterpiece and not even remotely close. it suffers from the same asspulls and plot contrivances just like other shonen series such as

Oct 11, 2018 6:14 AM

Sep 2017
Chiibi said:
Oh I've got one:

Grave of the Fireflies IS MANIPULATIVE AS F*CK. It kinda annoys me. Sage of Anime Abandon put it best:

"We're not sad because we're attached to the characters. We're sad because we're watching children die".

And he's damn right. Critics praise the hell out of this thing....but I've seen WAY better directed, characterized sad anime than this. (tear-jerkers are like my favorite genre; are you kidding me lol)

Yes. I hated that film a lot. I never understood why the boy couldn't compromise with their aunt in such a desperate time and decided he would rather let her sister die than returning to the aunt's house. The kid's dead was totally unnecessary and the film seems to be more about how a kid's short-sighted stubbornness led to self-destruction, than anti-war.

I remember having read an interview of Isao Takahata where he said he made that film because he saw the kids today have problematic attitudes, and this film could serve as an admonishment for them. Although most people have taken this film as primarily an anti-war film, it wasn't his original intention. The director creative intention should not always limit viewer's interpretation of the film, but in this case I think his intention -- a very manipulative one -- is perfectly realised in the film, and that's why I think what he said about his intention confirmed my judgement.
Oct 11, 2018 6:21 AM
Apr 2018
CHC said:
Please specify your reasons for your opinions.

Mine:

2) Shingeki no Kyojin is philosophically deep. It explored in depth the various ethical ideals are formed in a society which is under the condition of perpetual existential threat, how those ideals play out their conflict, the tragedy of disillusionment of the idealists, and the moral ambivalence of the Machiavellian pragmatists.

3) Serial Experiments Lain is good because of its style alone. Thematically it is a mix bag of random quasi-philosophical ideas or cliches about personal identity. The show has never asked any coherent philosophical question.

4) Shirobako has painted a way too idealized picture of the industry and actively avoided dapping into any controversial topic like workplace politics. Most dramatic conflicts in the show is about opposing artistic opinions or personal struggle in reaching artistic height, not a single decision that was made by the staff of Musashino Animation was based on commercial, financial, or any other non-artistic consideration.

5) Kimi no Na wa. is a mediocre anime that mixes popular cliches in anime (gender swap, time-traveling, sekaikei) but have nothing unique to say. The romance between two persons who never met and interact directly is so unconvincing and underdeveloped that it looks like it's written by someone who have zero romantic experience in real life.

6) Nagi no Asu kara is boring and messy. The characters are flat and cliched. They seem to have nothing else to care in their life other than being sad about their position in the love polygon. The supernatural setting of the show is very contrived and it serves no other function than conveniently cause a stir whenever the dynamic of the love polygon is running into a dead-end.

7) K-On! is a genuinely great show because of its attention to details and its very subtle way to develop its characters.
O

One punch man- every cliche shounen tropes with every superhero cliche

Attack on Titan- how to make the main chacter the biggest pussy when losing his mother

My hero academia-every cliche superhero trope with every shounen cliche

Gintama- not knowing the diffence between referencing someone and parody

Jojo- how to make shounen SUPER GAY
Oct 11, 2018 6:25 AM

Sep 2017
Lunilah said:
Hunter x Hunter The Chimera Ant arc is the worst part of the anime and i wish it never happened.

The premise (Queen) is the silliest MacGuffin i've ever seen in an anime. The arc is filled with the worst amount of violations of show don't tell, there are many 'big moments' that happen just to happen for the plot and carry no emotional weight or just make zero sense. The entire arc makes no sense.

I have read the manga but haven't watched the anime. I think the Chimera Ant arc is the best part of HxH. But judging on the style of that part of the manga, I guess there may be a huge different between that and the adaptation. (Not necessarily just plot-wise, but more about the art form.)
Oct 11, 2018 6:44 AM

May 2017
- Re:Zero: It's a great show but Subaru is way too annoying (I don't say that because of the Rem-Emilia stuff), I loved the psychological elements but I think that the type of protagonist Subaru is doesn't fit well with the themes and the atmosphere in general of the show.

- Your Name.: I don't think it's bad (quite the opposite), but I don't think it's as good as everyone says...

- Fate/Extra: Last Encore: I don't know why I enjoyed it as much as I did, but I think it's great
Oct 11, 2018 6:50 AM

Sep 2018
Katekyo Hitman Reborn is full of filler and Kyoko and Haru get way too much screentime.

Tatami Galaxy is above average, but the final episodes of it are dull.

Subaru on Re Zero is a likable character.

Sword Art Online is above average. Lets establish average is your typical slice of life school series that ultimately is not memmorable.

Saint Seiya Omega is not bad.

A Silent voice is just ok. The edge in the story came off as distorted from what the show`s tone is. The ending of it was just mediocre. For such a redemption story their is not enough despair to justify some actions made in this anime.
rohan121Oct 11, 2018 6:54 AM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Is it just me or is the Shoujo anime category pathetically small?

AngelicSuccubus - Yesterday

24 by DigiCat »»
7 minutes ago

» If ONE Piece is this long, imagine if this was 100 piece

jhzs0029 - Jun 15

46 by ArimaKana »»
33 minutes ago

» Should battle characters grow weak with age?

Timeline_man - 10 hours ago

9 by Mayahuel »»
39 minutes ago

» Should I read manga?

-Auria- - Dec 30, 2023

24 by FanofAction »»
55 minutes ago

» What world of Anime would you live in?

zaganGao - Yesterday

19 by NoelleIsSleepy »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.