Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Mar 20, 2018 1:53 PM
Oct 2017
This episode hit me real hard. I nearly fuckin cried bro. Shirase is a really great character I like the way the writers have written her throughout the entire series. The scene with all of the girls together and hanging out was really great too. This entire story and every character's development has been great. The finale is next week :( and I'm expecting a happy ending with even more feels.
Mar 20, 2018 2:00 PM

Sep 2016
Jaeger07 said:
To round up Hinata's waxing poetic:

"If you can still turn back, it's not really a journey. When you hit the point of no return, that's the moment it becomes a journey."
"It's a thin line between self-assertion and selfishness."
"Never think the stars you see are all the stars there are."
"Sometimes, people are just mean. Don't fight mean with mean. Hold your head high."
“Keeping busy is the best way to speed the clock’s hands!”
“To act is not necessarily compassion. True compassion sometimes come from inaction!”

Truly pottery.

Also,

Is this the Secret Society BLANKET Antarctic Chapter? Looks like their influence is spreading fast.
nankyoku branch of BLANKET looks great
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Mar 20, 2018 2:04 PM

Oct 2014
So Shirase did send the mails.
Mar 20, 2018 2:07 PM

Nov 2007
Aversa said:
A nice ending tho i doubt a computer would run after years in extreme cold.

I was thinking the same and I prayed that it runs the moment she pressed the button.

Even military grade ICs cannot operate from cold start because the semiconductors wouldn't have free charges or simply wouldn't form gates at such low temperatures. But it ran and even got instantly connected to the network so I was about to say we are all good but I cried so it's actually not very good. :'(
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Mar 20, 2018 2:22 PM

Feb 2018
shanimebib said:
Aversa said:

I was thinking the same and I prayed that it runs the moment she pressed the button.

Even military grade ICs cannot operate from cold start because the semiconductors wouldn't have free charges or simply wouldn't form gates at such low temperatures. But it ran and even got instantly connected to the network so I was about to say we are all good but I cried so it's actually not very good. :'(

Wasn't all that stuff inside some crates? I assumed they were some kind of protective crates since the laptop only seemed to have a thin layer of frost on it. Besides, they seemed to be back at the base when Shirase started it, so it may have had time to charge... I'm just guessing thinks though, I suck at technology.
Which would make Takako's decision even worse. Seriously, they could have sheltered in the snowcats and wait for the blizzard to stop then return. I don't want to think too much about it because it would make her death so pointless... Maybe the answer is in that outbox mail?
AbeldeMediciMar 20, 2018 2:31 PM
"The world appears wonderful in the eyes of wonderful people." (Alicia Florence, ARIA)
Mar 20, 2018 2:28 PM

Apr 2015
Wow, the sun pillar was just gorgeous.
I really love the relationship between the 4 girls in this show... today's episode is another good example of how very nicely developed it all is.
Just the way Yuzuki's eyes were shining after she got told that they are best friends, was so good.

And boi... that ending, as soon as I saw that E-mail counter go up, my tears were ready to flow down my face... that was so emotional and heartbreaking to see these girls cry like that :(

Can't believe the finale will be next week already, I am going to miss this so much when it ends :/
Mar 20, 2018 2:34 PM

Dec 2014
OMG! What an episode, Shirase sobbing and calling out for her mother hit me really hard, the girls crying, plus that insert song were really emotional; The feelssss, cried my eyes out.

Still can't believe that next week is already the last one, I'm gonna miss this series so much.
Mar 20, 2018 2:43 PM

Sep 2015
If you guys dont make this AOTY, i will know humanity is hopeless! T_T
Mar 20, 2018 2:43 PM

Nov 2007
AbeldeMedici said:
shanimebib said:

Wasn't all that stuff inside some crates? I assumed they were some kind of protective crates since the laptop only seemed to have a thin layer of frost on it.
Which would make Takako's decision even worse. Seriously, they could have sheltered in the snowcats and wait for the blizzard to stop then return. I don't want to think about it because it would make her death so pointless...

I don't think so. The animators/writers probably didn't pay much attention to it because usually people don't experience them. Cold start and cold cycling is very important thermal profiling in engineering for electronic devices. I have seen many hollywood movies where stuff like this is not paid enough attention to.

Regardless of the minor thing, they anime has done exceptional research on Antarctic expeditions and that alone deserves a lot of applauds. The same can be said about Yuru Camp and Violet Evergarden. Violet Evergarden presents us a psuedo post world war era right before industrialization in a pseudo European setting. The reason why I really liked episode 2 because it actually set the world up for the anime to be founded on in the latter episodes which I explained in the episode 2 discussion thread. Yuru Camp on the other hand is so accurate. As an avid hiker/camper I can tell how much effort they put in place to make the anime as informative as possible all the while making it so fun. And I personally experienced so many of them which I seasoned myself after many years of being in the same activities. Yuru Camp almost makes me want to do solo because that is one thing I never personally experienced. Gah. I am going off topic.

Coming back to what you said, I will be pretty darn shocked if she died for the reason. But sometimes people make decisions that they normally wouldn't make when they are very emotional. The fact that her dying words were those make me think she was overwhelmed with emotions at her final moments.
Coronavirus.
Mar 20, 2018 2:47 PM
Mar 2015
Someone is not truly dead until you see their unread email file
Mar 20, 2018 3:12 PM

Dec 2015
Wow unreal episode. This show has been an amazing journey.
Mar 20, 2018 3:18 PM

Sep 2017
Please, someone finds her mother alive, my God, I'm very sad.
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Mar 20, 2018 3:33 PM

Aug 2013
And that just completely destroyed my heart with that ending...holy shit. One more episode to go. How are they even going to end this masterpiece?
Don't believe the hype.
Mar 20, 2018 3:57 PM

Sep 2016
I teared up at the ending. Who knew she went back to the station for the laptop and picture. All those emails coming in after she booted up the laptop my gosh.

10/10
PolarCyrus97Mar 20, 2018 5:03 PM
The Anime Binge Is Life

-PolarCyrus97 2k17-
Mar 20, 2018 4:08 PM

Mar 2015
Amazing episode.

Between this show, Violet Evergarden and Ancient Magus' Bride I think the reaming seasons of anime this year are going to seem so weak!
The sword that takes life gives life
Mar 20, 2018 4:22 PM

Oct 2013
Equal parts heartwarming and heart-wrenching. The feels that came to me as we watch all the unread emails appearing from Shirase made me think of similar feels I had watching Tokyo Magnitude 8.0. It has enough realism in its emotions that one can imagine the fictional person's feelings as they tried to return for that forgotten laptop, only to be hopelessly lost in a frozen waste, slowly succumbing to exposure.

Too bad next week is the last ep. I don't really think that this story would allow for a sequel.
Mar 20, 2018 4:25 PM

Nov 2014
This was the best episode of any show this season, it was perfect, honest and in a way brutal, Shirase finally letting go of her mother was heartbreaking but seeing her friends cry for her outside the door put it over the top.
Forum Signature
Mar 20, 2018 4:33 PM

May 2015
Reality that Shirase's mother is no longer here really struck extra hard with those piling amount of unread messages.... That hurt.... What a heartfelt episode.

Really sad to see this go next week. Hoping for a good wrap-up.
ReverberateMar 20, 2018 4:37 PM

Mar 20, 2018 4:47 PM

Jun 2013
Pow, right in the feels. I'm dead after that ending, lol.
Mar 20, 2018 5:25 PM

Apr 2013
Mhm... Surprisingly didn't tear up at the ending...

Mar 20, 2018 5:26 PM
Oct 2017
by far the saddest episode of the series this is no doubt now that mom and dead

how does the computer always work after 3 years in such a climate?
Mar 20, 2018 5:30 PM

Oct 2015
I think Shirase's mother is dead, I doubt she survived those conditions, it would take a miracle to pull through.

Pretty emotional ep, and her friends sure are gold for supporting her like that.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Mar 20, 2018 5:31 PM

Nov 2012
shanimebib said:
Aversa said:

Do check my first post on first page.

Want some free EN TL light novels? Take a look at my loot...→Missing out on an Anime OP/ED? Check the complete collection here...→
Mar 20, 2018 5:46 PM
Feb 2017
Wait is this the final episode or is there one more? Because it had a very final episode feel but MAL says there’s one more
Mar 20, 2018 5:48 PM

Sep 2016
What the fuck why is this show so good yet also so sad? I did not expect this to be so good.

Fantastic episode. 5/5
Mar 20, 2018 6:14 PM
May 2016
Well that broke my heart
Mar 20, 2018 6:19 PM
Feb 2017
Too bad they kind of messed up their astronomy. Early on, Shirase says it's a warm day for the middle of the summer. So the sun should have been 23 degrees above the horizon.

Halfway through, they're all marveling at the sun pillar, but it should have taken the sun three months to set. Then, at the end, it's broad daylight again, like it's been nine more months. I guess you sleep deep when it's cold.
Mar 20, 2018 6:29 PM

Nov 2012
hazekashi said:
Too bad they kind of messed up their astronomy. Early on, Shirase says it's a warm day for the middle of the summer. So the sun should have been 23 degrees above the horizon.

Halfway through, they're all marveling at the sun pillar, but it should have taken the sun three months to set. Then, at the end, it's broad daylight again, like it's been nine more months. I guess you sleep deep when it's cold.

So you thought they should've noticed that phenomenon early on? The sun pillar relies on the right conditions for it to appear, so it's more like an "It's something you don't see everyday" event.

Want some free EN TL light novels? Take a look at my loot...→Missing out on an Anime OP/ED? Check the complete collection here...→
Mar 20, 2018 6:43 PM

May 2011
So shirase now can accept her mother death after seeing all her incoming sent email. hope she wont be gloomy anymore like 2 previous episode, and hope in last episode our girls can see what shirase mother able to saw in the end of her life.
Mar 20, 2018 6:54 PM

Feb 2012
That ending really bothered me, and its more messed up the more think about it. The emotional punch doesn't come from Shirase's mom, but Shirase herself. It just showed that Shirase did in fact care for her mom, which is something that has already been well established by this point. I also don't really get what Shirase was supposed to be feeling at that point. She sent the emails so she should know they were there. I can understand a more bitter feeling now that she has to admit that her mother is dead, but the anime didn't feel like it played that angle.

What gets me is that this scene feels so inappropriate. The entire catalyst for the journey has been Shirase fighting to go where her mother died, and when they finally reach the closest thing to a grave, Shirase's own pain of losing her mother pushes aside said mother. A note or message from the mother is what I was expecting and would have been much more appropriate. Watching those emails literally push aside the final words of Shirase's mother felt so wrong to me.
Mar 20, 2018 6:59 PM

Feb 2012
The mail scene was sad but it started weirding me out when it got past 500 mails.
Mar 20, 2018 7:03 PM
Jan 2015
Forget AOTS, this is possibly AOTY when everything is said and done. Godamn that ending killed me and how much these girls care for each other is incredible. A masterful episode overall.
My Queens

Mar 20, 2018 7:10 PM

Nov 2012
Phaetons_Folly said:
That ending really bothered me, and its more messed up the more think about it. The emotional punch doesn't come from Shirase's mom, but Shirase herself. It just showed that Shirase did in fact care for her mom, which is something that has already been well established by this point. I also don't really get what Shirase was supposed to be feeling at that point. She sent the emails so she should know they were there. I can understand a more bitter feeling now that she has to admit that her mother is dead, but the anime didn't feel like it played that angle.

What gets me is that this scene feels so inappropriate. The entire catalyst for the journey has been Shirase fighting to go where her mother died, and when they finally reach the closest thing to a grave, Shirase's own pain of losing her mother pushes aside said mother. A note or message from the mother is what I was expecting and would have been much more appropriate. Watching those emails literally push aside the final words of Shirase's mother felt so wrong to me.

Well if anything I hope your worries will be alleviated when you realized there's 1 message in the outbox. Here's hoping it'll be revealed next week.

Mar 20, 2018 7:23 PM
#1 Hitagi Lover

Apr 2014
Ah man, another episode of great chemistry between the girls as they go about in Antarctica. This episode was just beautiful as a whole, from the scene where the girls view the sun pillar to them having a good time on the snowcat. The ending though was easily the best part. Knowing what Shirase's mother died for makes the scene, where she opens the laptop and sees all the unread messages she sent to her, all the more powerful. I really couldn't hold back and had to cry.

What's just as sad is that there's only one more episode before it's all over. I'm really gonna miss this one. I'm very much looking forward to the next episode.
Mar 20, 2018 7:30 PM

May 2017
Wtf the build up in this episode didn't make me feel sad nor think this episode would make me cry, that fucking ending was outta nowhere, I bawled in tears and I was with my mom wtf now she thinks I'm a sissy crybaby pussy for crying bcoz of an anime fucking kill me right now
Mar 20, 2018 7:30 PM

May 2014
and this is what makes it a 10 for me. For an anime to get me invested and to make care for its characters and actually make me cry is worthy of a 10
Mar 20, 2018 7:51 PM

May 2017
Yeah I cried and I'm not afraid to admit that fact 。゜゜(´O`) ゜゜。

Also the song at the end was so beautiful too and really hit hard when it came to bawling my eyes out.

Agh... it hurt ;_;
Mar 20, 2018 8:07 PM

May 2017
Amble said:
The mail scene was sad but it started weirding me out when it got past 500 mails.

She's been dead or gone for 3 years. The final total was like....1100 or something. That's roughly an email a day. I think I can understand it.

Mar 20, 2018 8:29 PM

Nov 2007
Jaeger07 said:
shanimebib said:

Do check my first post on first page.

Good read. Glad to know that you have idea on cold start.

Like you said, assuming it took them considerable time and the laptop got used to the room temperature, it would make sense. I am just gonna assume it wasn't straightaway which looks like the case.

ituhata said:
The final total was like....1100 or something. That's roughly an email a day.

It was much more than that. The last number was shown 1101 and the count was still refreshing.
Coronavirus.
Mar 20, 2018 9:00 PM

May 2017
shanimebib said:

ituhata said:
The final total was like....1100 or something. That's roughly an email a day.

It was much more than that. The last number was shown 1101 and the count was still refreshing.

I like that. One more is much more :3

Anywho, 1,095 emails would be one a day for exactly 3 years, and I can only assume when they say Takano disappeared 3 years ago they aren't being sticklers about the exact date.

My money is on Shirase sending her mother an email a day.

Mar 20, 2018 9:26 PM

Dec 2014
Those e-mails though... yeah she ded. That was something I did not expect at all, just the sheer number of them as it kept on growing and growing.
I need sleep.
Mar 20, 2018 9:28 PM

Nov 2007
ituhata said:
shanimebib said:

I like that. One more is much more :3

Anywho, 1,095 emails would be one a day for exactly 3 years, and I can only assume when they say Takano disappeared 3 years ago they aren't being sticklers about the exact date.

My money is on Shirase sending her mother an email a day.

When Shirase was crying I mean. The screen in front her was still refreshing so 1101 wasn't the last count. They showed five refreshes and while Shirase was crying, at that time, there would be likely another 4-5 refreshes. The number of messages per refresh kept on peaking as time went on. The last four refreshes peaked at 100 new messages (the previous two were 100 messages per 5 refreshes, before that every 100 messages were 6 refreshes), so just following the peak (discarding the increment) there would be roughly 200-250 messages more adding it to 1350 messages at the very least.
Coronavirus.
Mar 20, 2018 9:45 PM

Sep 2011
shanimebib said:
AbeldeMedici said:

Wasn't all that stuff inside some crates? I assumed they were some kind of protective crates since the laptop only seemed to have a thin layer of frost on it.
Which would make Takako's decision even worse. Seriously, they could have sheltered in the snowcats and wait for the blizzard to stop then return. I don't want to think about it because it would make her death so pointless...

I don't think so. The animators/writers probably didn't pay much attention to it because usually people don't experience them. Cold start and cold cycling is very important thermal profiling in engineering for electronic devices. I have seen many hollywood movies where stuff like this is not paid enough attention to.

Regardless of the minor thing, they anime has done exceptional research on Antarctic expeditions and that alone deserves a lot of applauds. The same can be said about Yuru Camp and Violet Evergarden. Violet Evergarden presents us a psuedo post world war era right before industrialization in a pseudo European setting. The reason why I really liked episode 2 because it actually set the world up for the anime to be founded on in the latter episodes which I explained in the episode 2 discussion thread. Yuru Camp on the other hand is so accurate. As an avid hiker/camper I can tell how much effort they put in place to make the anime as informative as possible all the while making it so fun. And I personally experienced so many of them which I seasoned myself after many years of being in the same activities. Yuru Camp almost makes me want to do solo because that is one thing I never personally experienced. Gah. I am going off topic.

Coming back to what you said, I will be pretty darn shocked if she died for the reason. But sometimes people make decisions that they normally wouldn't make when they are very emotional. The fact that her dying words were those make me think she was overwhelmed with emotions at her final moments.

Bu the looks the episode that last scene is when they are back at the origional base so shes had time to let the laptop walm up and pugged in an adaptor. As antartica is very dry the laptop should be ok.
Mar 20, 2018 9:53 PM
Feb 2017
I am shocked beyond words.
I am so glad I decided to watch anime seasonally.
Mar 20, 2018 10:40 PM
Apr 2017
So, anyone know the song title at the end?
Mar 20, 2018 10:50 PM
Sep 2017
darksidemlz said:
So, anyone know the song title at the end?

またね = farewell
doomliccaMar 20, 2018 10:55 PM
Mar 20, 2018 11:02 PM
Bunnies 🍓

Jan 2013
Wow that was such a tear jerking episode. Shirase having to accept the reality thst her mom is gone bit at the same time expecting a sign that maybe she is alive somewhere. At least that’s how I looked at the scene. The moment when Shirase let the river of tears out was when it really hit the feels spot. All this time she’s been holding back her tears and tbh I really admire her strong attitude.

Kimari anf friends being there for Shirase and being determined to find anything in that base that was part of Shirase’s mom
Overall it was a very intense episode imo

Mar 20, 2018 11:25 PM

Apr 2017
Wow, I bawled so hard at the last scene. That messages makes me want to read them all since it was from her mom.
Mar 20, 2018 11:37 PM
Nov 2012
Phaetons_Folly said:

It's really more that the unread emails she sent finally put her emotions full circle, or more precisely it allowed her heart to finally catch up with her head: she knows logically that her mother is dead, but only now at the realization that her mother would never read everything she sent her did she finally GET it, and why it was the thing that finally broke through her emotions. And seeing the volume of messages that Shirase sent, and finally realizing just how much she sent through the years that her mother was missing, well it was overwhelming due to finally putting things into perspective.

For people suffering from delayed grief, it usually takes that one reminder that they'll never experience life with their loved one again that's the most painful, as I can personally attest.
Mar 20, 2018 11:45 PM

Mar 2016
hazekashi said:

Syowa station is at 69°S, (this is already 21° inclination from the South Pole) which means that the sun can get as high as about 40°-ish above horizon (Anctarctic circle starts at 66°33' south), and you do get short nights during the late summer (they've been there a while). You seem to be overestimating how far south they really are.
Pages (8) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sora yori mo Tooi Basho Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 29, 2017

311 by sailormoon92_ »»
Oct 8, 4:59 AM

Poll: » Sora yori mo Tooi Basho Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 27, 2018

409 by mjjones0 »»
Sep 6, 6:19 PM

» Binge or slow watch?

Crystalligator - Aug 23

18 by GoldEEr »»
Aug 28, 5:21 PM

» What's good about this ?

Bruh-__- - Nov 25, 2021

25 by Laplace_kun »»
Aug 23, 10:20 PM

Poll: » Sora yori mo Tooi Basho Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jan 30, 2018

214 by kirA_-_ »»
Aug 18, 7:41 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.