Forum Settings
Forums
Fireworks, Should We See It from the Side or the Bottom? (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Nov 15, 2017 6:51 PM
Jan 2017
Saw it at the cinema today, it was ok, a lot of rushed animation and not so great writing.

regarding the ending:
Nov 16, 2017 10:13 AM

Jul 2008
Somehow, this is what SHAFT end up with after adapting a short film by none other than Shunji Iwai. I didn't think it was terrible, but I expected so much more considering the original film is such a playful and innocent tale of youth and young love by one of Japan's leading auteurs. It lost every essence of Iwai, and they latched on to the wrong thing entirely. They turned a slice of life into a nonsense supernatural melodrama. I had really high hopes for this, but they completely ignored what made the original film so wonderful.
I write about manga → morningroo.com
and movies → letterboxd.com/ugla
Nov 17, 2017 2:51 PM

Oct 2012
having not seen the original film yet I still think the essence of Iwai is here and is ultimately what made this an enjoyable but deeply flawed movie for me. Like a lot of people are saying, the third act is a complete mess of supernatural nonsense but the core of the film, a playful tale of youth and love is strong imo and is what made this film for me. Definitely eager to see the original now.

Nov 19, 2017 10:15 PM
Jul 2016
Not a bad movie but there's too many questions after watching this
Nov 29, 2017 9:16 AM

Jul 2008
Koybz said:
having not seen the original film yet I still think the essence of Iwai is here

I must disagree. If you look at something like The Case of Hana and Alice, the difference in characterisation and style is very clear. Fireworks was one of Iwai's first movies, but it's still very identifiable. The anime version, on the other hand, actively goes against much of the themes and writing in the original film. I think it started very strong, and had inklings of the Iwai flavour, but along the way it devolved into something else entirely. I'd recommend checking out the original work if you're at all a fan of Iwai. Although both films share the same basis, they're very different.
Nov 29, 2017 9:43 AM

Oct 2012
Touka said:
Koybz said:
having not seen the original film yet I still think the essence of Iwai is here

I must disagree. If you look at something like The Case of Hana and Alice, the difference in characterisation and style is very clear. Fireworks was one of Iwai's first movies, but it's still very identifiable. The anime version, on the other hand, actively goes against much of the themes and writing in the original film. I think it started very strong, and had inklings of the Iwai flavour, but along the way it devolved into something else entirely. I'd recommend checking out the original work if you're at all a fan of Iwai. Although both films share the same basis, they're very different.

Ah I don't think this film holds a candle to anything else Iwai has been involved in from what I've seen and it's definitely very different to the likes of the Hana and Alice series, but what I like about Iwai's stories are still here (the focus on youth, sentimentality, awkwardly endearing teenagers etc) albeit quite warped in this case. With all the negativity surrounding this before I went to watch it, I was expecting to dislike it more than I did, and while it was clumsy and misguided I still found myself enjoying it. The start was the strongest for me too, and I was a fan of the imagery until the style became jarring as the film began to devolve in the second half (that song scene on the train was.. weirdly executed to say the least). Yeah, I really want to watch the original and compare the two (and also because I just want to watch more Iwai in general) but it's a very hard film to find unfortunately.
Nov 29, 2017 10:13 AM

Jul 2008
Koybz said:
Ah I don't think this film holds a candle to anything else Iwai has been involved in from what I've seen and it's definitely very different to the likes of the Hana and Alice series, but what I like about Iwai's stories are still here (the focus on youth, sentimentality, awkwardly endearing teenagers etc) albeit quite warped in this case. With all the negativity surrounding this before I went to watch it, I was expecting to dislike it more than I did, and while it was clumsy and misguided I still found myself enjoying it. The start was the strongest for me too, and I was a fan of the imagery until the style became jarring as the film began to devolve in the second half (that song scene on the train was.. weirdly executed to say the least). Yeah, I really want to watch the original and compare the two (and also because I just want to watch more Iwai in general) but it's a very hard film to find unfortunately.

Fair enough. The anime version does share some similar shots and pacing to Iwai's film early on, but I think the characters—like you mention—are a bit warped alongside his original vision. Youth is a prevailing theme in Iwai's work for sure, and I don't want to say anything particular about his Fireworks since you haven't seen it yet, but the characters are a lot more wholesome, natural, and endearing in Iwai's version. I'm glad you mentioned the song on the train — that was a particularly disjointed scene (and is completely absent in the original film). It was those sorts of scenes that gave it that kind of melodramatic, anime-specific vibe to me, over something more naturalistic and winsome, as in Iwai's work. There's a musician in Japan—Koremasa Uno—who said the film "doesn't feel like a work from Iwai," but rather "it feels more like the anime of the studio creating it, Shaft." I strongly agree with that statement. The feeling of Iwai was inherently diluted by Shaft and the very essence of anime, at least for me. Which is a shame, because Iwai displayed very recently how well his style converts to animation. Makoto Shinkai called The Case of Hana and Alice a masterpiece, and said it was something he even couldn't make, which I think is very telling of how identifiable and entrenched Iwai's thematics and style of filmmaking really is.
Nov 29, 2017 10:32 AM

Oct 2012
Touka said:
Koybz said:

Fair enough. The anime version does share some similar shots and pacing to Iwai's film early on, but I think the characters—like you mention—are a bit warped alongside his original vision. Youth is a prevailing theme in Iwai's work for sure, and I don't want to say anything particular about his Fireworks since you haven't seen it yet, but the characters are a lot more wholesome, natural, and endearing in Iwai's version. I'm glad you mentioned the song on the train — that was a particularly disjointed scene (and is completely absent in the original film). It was those sorts of scenes that gave it that kind of melodramatic, anime-specific vibe to me, over something more naturalistic and winsome, as in Iwai's work. There's a musician in Japan—Koremasa Uno—who said the film "doesn't feel like a work from Iwai," but rather "it feels more like the anime of the studio creating it, Shaft." I strongly agree with that statement. The feeling of Iwai was inherently diluted by Shaft and the very essence of anime, at least for me. Which is a shame, because Iwai displayed very recently how well his style converts to animation. Makoto Shinkai called The Case of Hana and Alice a masterpiece, and said it was something he even couldn't make, which I think is very telling of how identifiable and entrenched Iwai's thematics and style of filmmaking really is.

The appeal of Iwai's films for me is how subtle, natural and wholesome his work can be. Often you forget that the people you are watching are mere characters in his films and the likes of Hana & Alice, Love Letter, April Story are all incredibly endearing to me so from the sounds of it I'd very much enjoy the original too if it follows his trends in film making. I think there are parts in this adaptation where it comes across and I get that sense of Iwai in particular briefly but by the end of the film it becomes so lost in itself that I was only left scratching my head.

Oh wow, I didn't know that Shinkai said that about The Case of Hana and Alice, but that's awesome and I totally agree, the way Iwai captures people, even in animation, is unlike any other film maker I've seen. I still get so much out of that movie and it makes me wish Iwai had more of a direct role in this adaptation as like you said, that film proves that Iwai's style can be brought to this medium and as a fan of anime, I would totally love to see Iwai become more involved with it. Also I agree with that sentiment Kuremasa Uno makes too, if there's one thing I can't deny about this film it is that before anything else, this movie feels like a product of Shaft, and not a wholly inventive or particularly good looking Shaft film either unlike the recently released Kizumonogatari films.
Dec 8, 2017 11:47 PM
Apr 2017
I was only paying for the music by Daoko...
I knew it is bad before I entered the theater as all the reviews are negative but...didn't expect this is so bad....
Dec 14, 2017 8:05 AM
Dec 2017
I love this movie #UchiageHanabi
Dec 16, 2017 7:05 AM

Oct 2015
I honestly don't think this movie was bad. It's more on the problem of proper characterization that the movie lacked especially on Nazuna since we only got an info about her running away from her parents. Other than that the directing was pretty good and the fireworks were honestly beautiful but CGI was really distracting due to how bad it was. Concept was interesting as well. Overall enjoyed the movie 7/10 the low score is honestly due to high expectations.

And it seems like this was supposed to be some sort of coming of age story which honestly turned to forced romance in the end :p
EGOISTDec 16, 2017 8:43 AM
Dec 17, 2017 10:04 AM

May 2010
Just seen this in the cinema with less 10 or 5 people there. XD

Visuals - Splendid. That just SHAFT doing SHAFT things. Very reminiscent of Bakemonogatari. Damn. It makes me feel guilty for putting the Monogatari series on-hold. Music was OK but I'll take a second listen if the OST's are out. Characters are fairly memorable. Was waiting for a deeper level of development for the whole movie. lol

For the plot, I liked the concept. You know, time loop and reset. But for the entirety of the movie, it felt lacking somewhere that I can't appreciate it fully. Ending surprised me though and I don't know what to think of it.

As what others said, if you align this with Your Name and Koe no Katachi, you'll get surely disappointed. But yeah, the trailer was promising. *sigh*
Dec 17, 2017 8:57 PM
Jul 2015
Enjoyable film and not that long (run-time of around less than two hours).

I've watched it twice so far..........although I hope to watch it for at least another four times (to support anime films in my local cinema hehe)

Anyways, spoiler alert!!!

------------------------------

How would you interpret that ending? Here's the possibilities that I can think of:

1) The most convenient ending - main dude went with Nazuna to whereever she went (e.g. Tokyo, Osaka, etc.). They became lovers and will probably get married and will live happily ever after. THE END :)

2) The two main characters never got back to the real world (or at least the world where they originally came from)

3) All of this is just dream (#Inception haha)

--------

Anyways, as what others said, this movie revolves around "what if". Even the name of the town and area is named "MOSHIMO" which loosely translates to "what if" in Engilsh.
Dec 22, 2017 5:41 PM
Dec 2017
EcchiKingMamster said:
EGOIST said:
well they flew there just to watch the movie I guess?

ain't no fucking way LOOOOOLLL

im from singapore and they aired it in Golden Village cinemas! GV airs alot of anime movies and is the only cinema to air them actually so thats where i always go to watch them, maybe you can find a place like that near you?
Dec 22, 2017 5:46 PM
Dec 2017
what if it goes along with fma's first law of equivalent exchange? (*_*) they twisted the time around so much that they were taken away in the end lol. i just decided this for myself since i couldnt understand the timeline thing (;∀;)
Dec 29, 2017 9:16 AM

Mar 2015
Just watched this in theater.
I was going in blindly without knowing anything other than it's Shaft's film.
And I like Shaft's Bakemonogatari series and Madoka series so I did have some degrees of expectation.

The main girl's character design is so adorable and I guess that's the whole point. She's so pretty, this almost feels like a softer version of Sengokuhara's back story.

But as film went on, my nervous breakdown slowly started around 45 mins in until the film ended. I was screaming inside, ranting to myself like "Where is this going for?" "Why should I care?" "Is this gonna get good next scene?".

In the end, it's a fine film i guess, nothing much on the narrative aspect and I didn't find the visual to be that stunning as Shaft's usual. The songs and ost are OK.

It's a beautiful looking film with a good tone, but it doesn't have much to say.

Jan 5, 2018 6:54 AM

Oct 2015
Quick advice: Don't watch this thing.
I think the film is horrible, I can't really tell what is bad about the show every single thing is just shit.

Characters are weird as shit. their actions are so unexplainable.

Story is shit, nothing was explained clearly and this is not it because it doesn't have time, about 60-70% of the film are random unnecessary scenes that has almost nothing to do with the story or was just throwing out there to fill up the film length.

The songs are fine I guess, it just happened to be in this shit movie with annoying random visual.

People say the visual were great, but they were so redundant, , over extended and thrown out randomly that it feels like it doesn't even go with the (shit)story and eventually the visual end up useless.

PS it is not like I don't shaft stuffs, you can check my score on any other series from shaft, This thing is just bad.
Feb 4, 2018 7:04 PM

Apr 2016
Just watched it in the theaters and really was disappointed.
It's hard to explain but this movie just felt kinda empty, I got no reason at all to care at all for anything or anyone, it felt like there is no substance to it. Characters were just lacking purpose, I guess and didn't feel relatable at all. The story didn't know were to go as for the Time travel aspect which just didn't feel implemented well at all.
The movie had some good music to it and looked really good, studio shaft did a really good job there, that alone won't help the movie to become good though.

Wouldn't recommend to watch it, if you want to see some beautiful animated scenes, just go to the music video from DAOKO and watch that, has most of the beautiful scenes in it.
HomuruFeb 4, 2018 7:10 PM
Feb 14, 2018 6:14 PM
Jun 2013
Maybe most people have their "standard" level too high after watching Kimi no Na wa and Koe no Katachi and they are hoping this movie as good like that.

And i think it's because SHAFT have their unique art and approaching style so this movie ended up like this.

My friend told me before i'm going to watch this, "it's better to watch NGNL if i know this movie will be like this", so i just ask him why? and it seems like he was disappointed.
Mar 12, 2018 7:29 PM

May 2015
Just got back home from the cinema, really disappointing movie.
Mar 20, 2018 8:01 PM

Mar 2014
This movie is nothing. It means nothing, it shows nothings, its characters are nothing. I hated the girl and hated the main character. He can't even be called a character at all. I mean, he had absolutely NO personality traits. This movie would be far more interesting if his friend was the protagonist, but it would still be a bad movie.
The sphere thing makes no sense, the fact that it grows makes no sense, the flashback where we see that her father had it makes no sense.
It tried to do something like Kimi no Na Wa, but the thing is, Kimi no Na Wa actually explains how its world works, even if it's "Gods, and it just happens", it still is an explanation.
Apr 22, 2018 2:01 PM

Dec 2014
I really liked this Movie but what was with the ending...why are all the movies obsessed with pen ending... Is there a manga or something
Apr 22, 2018 2:49 PM

Jan 2016
Tricky, this movie had its moments but ultimately felt empty

The character designs were good but were more like lifeless dolls without any characterization.

They tried to make the story very artistic and stylish but ultimately just made something weird that seemed like a mash-up of ideas. Unfortunately I didn't find the whole "what if" marble thingy to be interesting enough to forgive this movie.

I won't say that the movie is bad, but I can't say much more than that the movie was visually beautiful.

5/10
Apr 22, 2018 3:55 PM

Jul 2012
I read couple of manga chapters before so knew some stuff and wanna say to the point where it stopped it felt rushed. But after watching the 2nd part i just simply want to ask what was i watching?! I was a bit hyped to watch this but got to say that it didn't live to its expectations at all. Other than great visuals (even not all the time, some scenes looked really weird) this movie doesn't give anything.

Saw some comments about the old live-action movie and it kinda felt that it was some story from old times, so the question if anyone knows was the choice for Norimichi's VA based on the old work (mb not the same but to match up or something like this) because i really don't think that it fits his character, it just bothered me pretty much the whole movie. And reading manga version also feels that this low type of voice is just wrong, mb just stereotype for new MCs. And didn't see anyone say anything about his voice so mb it's only me who found it strange.

Nazuna's song was probably the best thing. And her 4 face expressions for Ka Ke O Chi =/

Overall generous 6/10, that was very confusing and random story, but still some kind of romance.
Apr 23, 2018 12:50 AM

Jul 2011
Dang, really was too weird for my taste D:

"Only if..." "round or flat fireworks" and here we have a movie :D

My final score may be 6.5-7/10, only because I cannot give 6.5 to system, so 7/10... was not disappointed too much, as only reading movie title and MAL description gives you somewhat good (or bad lol) image about this movie.

Shaft + character face expressions / moments, classic.
GaichiApr 23, 2018 12:53 AM

"A half moon, it has a dark half and a bright half, just like me…", Yuno Gasai
Apr 23, 2018 1:06 AM

Aug 2017
Well.. the story was a mess up but I still kinda enjoy it somehow
and the ending was pretty good!

"The sun is my enemy, but the moon has been good to me."
Apr 23, 2018 6:58 AM

Jan 2018
Didn't understand what happens till the last second.

Bad Movie.
Apr 23, 2018 7:55 AM

Oct 2012
Should've stayed as music video.
Apr 23, 2018 9:06 AM

Nov 2016
What a disappointment movie, I was expecting much more from this. The visuals were the only positive point sadly.
PoloApr 23, 2018 9:14 AM
Apr 23, 2018 6:50 PM

Aug 2013
Great movie, I had a fairly low expectation since I heard many criticism about it, but it turned out to be an amazing movie. Here's what I think about the movie and my interpretation.

Even though many people think the story was confusing. To me, it was actually clear and made sense. Norimichi realizes he was in a different world ever since he was first on the lighthouse and saw the flat fireworks. The fireworks looked weird and fake as well when Nazuna and Norimochi got chased to the lighthouse. The entire movie spent alot of time on the whether fireworks are "flat" or "round," which ended up being the most important thing to keep in the mind throughout the entire movie. If the fireworks are not normal, then they are in a fake world. The weird stone had the power to grant the user's wish during its activation. Norimichi also figured that out and explained it to Nazuna. That's why he knew they would be fine not leaving the train at the next station after they hid from everyone. The stone granted the wish, making the train moved in a weird track.

Now as for the ending of the movie, which many people felt it was too open-ended/confusing. It actually ties back to the shape of the fireworks and the title of the movie, "Fireworks, Should We See It from the Side or the Bottom?" We understand why "side" is important to be in the title, but what about bottom? At the scene right after the stone exploded, shards fell everywhere and the MC's kissed, we saw "round" fireworks from underwater. Therefore, that would imply they are now in the real world after the stone got destroyed (if fireworks were flat, then it would be flat from both the side and the bottom). After so much stuff happened and them confirming their love for each other with the kiss, it would make sense for them to actually commit "kakeochi," which was further confirmed after seeing the empty desks of Norimichi and Nazuna at the very end.

UImoetardApr 23, 2018 6:53 PM
Apr 24, 2018 12:46 AM

Jan 2015
The music video was so good I wanted to watch this...
Yeah, quite disappointed. I don’t know, but I felt like something lacked, nothing explained, ecc
Apr 24, 2018 3:11 AM

Oct 2015
@UImoetard I think most of the criticisms come from the movie barely giving any good kind of characterization to our characters. I read somewhere that the original novel was a coming-of-age story and didn't delve too much on its fantasy aspect which the anime did.

That's the way to go. I also had pretty low expectations that's why I enjoyed it even more because it wasn't really as bad as people make it out to be. Just lacking the needed characterization and a more clearer motive because the motive was kind of shallow
Apr 24, 2018 4:53 AM

Jul 2013
Looking the general negative opinion of the movie, I expected something much worse, but it was actually fine. The ending was confussing, but after reading some thoughts about it, I think I have a little more clear vision about it (still confussing as heck). Visuals and OST were amazing, though.
I also couldn't help but think Yuusuke was basically Araragi without his iconic ahoge.
Apr 24, 2018 9:49 AM

Aug 2013
EGOIST said:
@UImoetard I think most of the criticisms come from the movie barely giving any good kind of characterization to our characters. I read somewhere that the original novel was a coming-of-age story and didn't delve too much on its fantasy aspect which the anime did.

That's the way to go. I also had pretty low expectations that's why I enjoyed it even more because it wasn't really as bad as people make it out to be. Just lacking the needed characterization and a more clearer motive because the motive was kind of shallow

I agree, the characterization in this movie was weak. We got some from Norimichi and Nazuna, but the others are flat. Though, I never expected much characterization for a 1.5 hrs long movie.

That being said, I did enjoy the MC's characters. We can infer that they loved each other since the beginning, hence Nazuna was waiting for Norimichi at the pool during her last day and found a way to make the kakeochi happen. However, Norimichi got injured and "died" in water, similar to Nazuna's dad, then Nazuna quickly changed to another target like her mom did. Norimichi was similar to Yuusuke (Kirito look alike) and typical highschool kids decided to chicken out their crush's date invitation, but the difference was Norimichi changed his mind after seeing Nazuna dressed up with a suitcase to pick him up.
Apr 24, 2018 9:51 AM

Mar 2018
The song is good i guess
吃屁股
Apr 24, 2018 2:18 PM

Aug 2013
OMG. I waited so long for something with old Shaft vibe. This movie was just wow. Didn't expect something so atmospheric at all. I just remembered why I was in love with Shaft years ago.

And about character design. Fuck. I'm speechless if it comes to Nazuna's design. Epicness. Also her seiyiuu. Beautiful voice.

Btw. If I remember correctly, this movie was directed by the same person that also directed Shigatsu Monogatari? Yeah. I definitely feel similar vibes.

I'm a little disappointed with amount of 3DCG, but it doesn't look so bad in this movie at least. In the other hand, character animation was phenomenal.

Anyway, great movie. I don't really get the whole hate. I have a feeling that the source of negative comments comes from not understanding the whole thing.
Open ending? It was pretty straightforward for me. Exactly like @UImoetard said.
To he honest I love endings like this. At the first glance it seems to be open for interpretation, but simultaneously everything is clear.
Ps. Look closer at the signs. There a lot of もしも (what if) signs everywhere. Same goes to the filament of light bulb inside that marble (sorry I don't know if it's a proper name for that thing in English) it shows 'if'.
9/10.
rsc-plApr 24, 2018 2:49 PM
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Apr 25, 2018 1:20 PM

Jul 2017
This was actually much better than I was expecting.

PROS:
+ Scenery and backgrounds were gorgeous, especially the fireworks.
+ The soundtrack was really good.
+ Unlike Kimi no Na Wa, this film incorporates fantasy elements without including a 'save the world' plot or something. This is simply a love story, a personal one at that.
+ The dynamic between the 2 main boys are interesting. This is a kind of rivalry you don't see much in Anime love stories.
+ The CGI wasn't too terrible. Even the bicycle scene was pretty good.

CONS:
- There was some off-beat humor.
- Norimichi's facial expressions were all over the place and did not mesh well with the tone of the film. Nazuna had some questionable facial frames as well.
- They could've expanded upon their relationship prior to the film. It seems as if they at least knew each other, but we don't really see much of that.

Overall, it was a pretty good film. Honestly, I liked it better than Kimi no Na Wa.
7.5/10 ~ 8/10. Not sure at the moment.
Sorry, the user you are looking for is not available at the moment. You are currently reading text generated by APSAB or "Auto-Programmed-Signature-Mataining-Bot" (patent pending).

ERROR CODE 1979-NIPUL-W3EB
Please Install the Latest Version of MAL.OS as Some Features of Certain Signatures May Not Appear Correctly. You are currently running MAL.OS.V4. Click here to download MAL.OS.V5.

APSAB Version: Beta.99

"If Seinfeld isn't your favorite anime, then you aren't watching anime correctly."
- Me

Apr 26, 2018 7:18 AM

Aug 2010
This movie felt so empty. The characters had no personality whatsoever and it overall felt so plain.
At least I laughed to tears at some scenes (because of how ridiculous they were).
The only good scene was the one where the crystal fragments fell from the sky and they see the possibles "if"s, that was pretty.
Apr 26, 2018 11:48 AM
Sep 2010
The story was bad and the ending pure trash, i give it a 3/10 only cause the art, the story itself does not even deserve a rating, rushed up mass of crap with and ending that feels like the author got a stroke before he finished his work.
Apr 26, 2018 4:59 PM

May 2012
That sure was quite a differente experience than I was hoping for from a Shaft movie after all... still was pretty decent but did lack quite a bit of quality what I usually find directly in Shaft productions.

The time travel aspect was pretty decent and so was the ending but with the interest factor and pacing was something missing.

Still a pretty solid movie!
Apr 28, 2018 7:35 AM

Mar 2018
Okay, my reaction after watching:

I won't ask for explanations since I know this is a "draw your own conclusion, son." type of movie as usual from Shaft but still... I can't help but feel it's a poor attempt to recreate Kimi no Na wa or Toki wo Kakeru Shoujo. I only gave it 6 because the ED song is godlike.

P.S.
Am I the only who's getting a NTR vibe from this movie?

Apr 28, 2018 10:17 AM
May 2015
okei okei, so after reading some of the comments here, I start to like and understand the movie a little more than what I did. Because I was confused the whole time, because in the first "timeline" she choose the black haired guy, but he did not like her and tried to fix her up with main guy, it's all okei, I get it. But then she choose main guy and I was like okei awkward she just picked a random guy then, whoever won… so im thrown off the whole movie because of this. I get it now that in different timelines different things happens, but it does not make much sense in the movie, the characters feelings get all muddled up, and there is just wierd development because in different timelines they feel different things. I hate it when in anime you don't always get why they love each other or really see any development in their love…
so it's like a 7 for me, because of art and music as everyone is saying..
now I also get why there was a dead guy in the sea, I was like omg drama, what is his story!? and now im like ohh yeah just different timeline..
Apr 28, 2018 10:23 AM
May 2015
UImoetard said:
EGOIST said:

I agree, the characterization in this movie was weak. We got some from Norimichi and Nazuna, but the others are flat. Though, I never expected much characterization for a 1.5 hrs long movie.

That being said, I did enjoy the MC's characters. We can infer that they loved each other since the beginning, hence Nazuna was waiting for Norimichi at the pool during her last day and found a way to make the kakeochi happen. However, Norimichi got injured and "died" in water, similar to Nazuna's dad, then Nazuna quickly changed to another target like her mom did. Norimichi was similar to Yuusuke (Kirito look alike) and typical highschool kids decided to chicken out their crush's date invitation, but the difference was Norimichi changed his mind after seeing Nazuna dressed up with a suitcase to pick him up.

ohh I love your explanation for why she choose the other guy at the first place, I get it now :D
Apr 28, 2018 3:24 PM

Mar 2010
This was just like I imagined seeing a movie while on drugs wtf.
Apr 29, 2018 4:25 PM
Feb 2016
I think they went off to tokyo in the end together. I hope so at least. Pretty good movie, I enjoyed it. Loved the music and visuals. The ending song 10/10
The movie overall 7/10
clown president general plue
Apr 29, 2018 7:12 PM

Mar 2012
I highly recommend people go read the manga version, which is only 10 chapters. I think it completes the experience and makes Uchiage Hanabi a lot more meaningful.

Below are my thoughts on this piece of work with both anime and manga considered. The manga is not the source material, but does present some details in more depth, with one very notable difference at the end. I don't consider the manga spoiler because it doesn't have any additional story element, but proceed at your own risk.

Fundamentally, Uchiage Hanabi is a story about acceptance and hope. There are only two parts of this story that are "real": everything that happened up to the point where Norimichi throws the orb for the first time, and everything that happens after he kisses Nazuna and Nazuna swims away. Everything that happens in between occurs in a "what if" world. And Norimichi knew that he was not in the real world as soon as he saw that the fireworks were flat--which manga makes clear. Why did he, then, insist on continually changing the future in an unreal world? Because as he said to Nazuna when they were at the beach, he was willing to stay in that world if he could be with her. It's not purely because he liked her; it's also probably because he regretted not having been able to help her whereas in this world, he was able to and did help her. Of course, that dream was shattered when the fireworks craftsman sent the orb into the sky and it broke into pieces. But it was at that point in the manga when he saw that by staying here, he would've foregone all other possibilities, including the possibility of him pursuing her and ending up with her in the real world. He then said to himself that every possibility is a choice and that he has to make a choice for him and Nazuna to move forward. That's when he decided to accept to let go of the Nazuna that's already with him (though his hands were forced anyway), and said, "Wait for me, Nazuna" (an important line that was left out in anime). The final scene in the anime should be entirely disregarded: it shows Norimichi running late to school and ends with no hint of anything. In the manga, by contrast, he is shown missing from school and standing on a train platform in Tokyo. The implications are entirely different--anime suggests he might've moved on both because it doesn't spell out the lesson he learned and because he's seen going to school as normal, but manga indicates he's pursuing her. So we have a good ending with a lesson of accepting a result that's already set in stone but holding out hope and striving to change what comes after that result.

This brings us to the question of what to make of the imaginary world. In the imaginary world there were only two constants: Norimichi and the orb. Norimichi retains all memories of previous paths while the orb grows in size with each use. Every other person has no clue. They appear to operate with their own cognition (one piece of evidence being that Nazuna wondered what kind of world she will meet him next as she disappeared) with largely similar personalities. But Yuusuke does beg the question of whether they are actually themselves in the "what if" world because he turned from this total bro to this total asshole. One plausible albeit somewhat cynical explanation is that Yuusuke was genuinely shocked to see Norimichi with Nazuna and turned hostile when he thought the two were going to end up together (whereas prior he might've wanted to see Norimichi fail). It's somewhat important to explain this inconsistency in Yuusuke's character because if personalities were inverted then Nazuna in real life might not have actually liked Norimichi. But first, I don't think personalities were inverted in the "what if" world because I think the biggest inconsistency in Yuusuke isn't entirely inconsistent. Second, Nazuna in the real world may not have cared who won the race but she did expect Norimichi to win, which suggests that she was planning to ask Norimichi out. Third, in the train scene in the manga Nazuna remembered how she looked to a picture between her and Norimichi when she was sad about her dad passing away; even if personalities were inverted, there's nothing to suggest that memories did too. All this is to say we should expect the ending to be a happy one if Norimichi and Nazuna reunite in Tokyo.

Despite how impressive the visuals and the soundtrack were, the anime was a huge mess because of unnecessary gaps in storytelling and a very questionable decision to leave the ending more open ended than the manga. Bottom line: a 1.5 hour movie should not have people generating all kinds of theories just to understand it. Shame, since if the anime was adopted precisely as the manga it could've been a much more substantive piece of work rather just something that looked pretty but hollow. That said, Uchiage Hanabi as a whole does tell a cute love story with a message of hope.
zannettApr 30, 2018 6:25 PM
May 1, 2018 7:18 AM

Oct 2015
This movie is so beautiful if we talk about music, colors, scenes...but some things like Norimichi's friends and their comments ruin all the beautiful plot. Also, we can't talk about the open ending, but I prefer think that Norimichi is searching Nazuna, and no more possibilities. :)
May 4, 2018 2:37 PM

Sep 2015
I dont know, sometimes no conclusion at all is better than a bad conclusion, but is really unsatisfying this way. It makes the beatiful shaft images and Daoko Music just a pointless frame to disappoint story.
May 5, 2018 7:17 AM

Jun 2017
Classic Shaft and their questionable directing. It can work at times, but for this kind of a movie I'd rather if they got rid of all the weird camera angles and artstyle desicions.

Story started off good, but got more and more random as the time went on. Especially the second half seemed very poorly written, just for the sake of making things easier for the main couple. Characters themselves were really lacking, also the voice-acting, while not bad, was not very fitting for a middle/high school cast.

The art was generally not very pleasing to my eyes, even outside of the horrible CGI moments. But that's my problem with Shaft in general so you really shouldn't worry about it too much.

Overall, I would say this movie is how Glasslip focusing on fireworks instead of glass would look like. The enjoyment is there and it's kinda fun to watch, but the writing is way off and the ending feels incredibly unsatisfying.

Higurashi Gou is the worst anime in existence.
May 11, 2018 2:17 AM

Oct 2017
zannett said:
I highly recommend people go read the manga version, which is only 10 chapters. I think it completes the experience and makes Uchiage Hanabi a lot more meaningful.

Below are my thoughts on this piece of work with both anime and manga considered. The manga is not the source material, but does present some details in more depth, with one very notable difference at the end. I don't consider the manga spoiler because it doesn't have any additional story element, but proceed at your own risk.

Fundamentally, Uchiage Hanabi is a story about acceptance and hope. There are only two parts of this story that are "real": everything that happened up to the point where Norimichi throws the orb for the first time, and everything that happens after he kisses Nazuna and Nazuna swims away. Everything that happens in between occurs in a "what if" world. And Norimichi knew that he was not in the real world as soon as he saw that the fireworks were flat--which manga makes clear. Why did he, then, insist on continually changing the future in an unreal world? Because as he said to Nazuna when they were at the beach, he was willing to stay in that world if he could be with her. It's not purely because he liked her; it's also probably because he regretted not having been able to help her whereas in this world, he was able to and did help her. Of course, that dream was shattered when the fireworks craftsman sent the orb into the sky and it broke into pieces. But it was at that point in the manga when he saw that by staying here, he would've foregone all other possibilities, including the possibility of him pursuing her and ending up with her in the real world. He then said to himself that every possibility is a choice and that he has to make a choice for him and Nazuna to move forward. That's when he decided to accept to let go of the Nazuna that's already with him (though his hands were forced anyway), and said, "Wait for me, Nazuna" (an important line that was left out in anime). The final scene in the anime should be entirely disregarded: it shows Norimichi running late to school and ends with no hint of anything. In the manga, by contrast, he is shown missing from school and standing on a train platform in Tokyo. The implications are entirely different--anime suggests he might've moved on both because it doesn't spell out the lesson he learned and because he's seen going to school as normal, but manga indicates he's pursuing her. So we have a good ending with a lesson of accepting a result that's already set in stone but holding out hope and striving to change what comes after that result.

This brings us to the question of what to make of the imaginary world. In the imaginary world there were only two constants: Norimichi and the orb. Norimichi retains all memories of previous paths while the orb grows in size with each use. Every other person has no clue. They appear to operate with their own cognition (one piece of evidence being that Nazuna wondered what kind of world she will meet him next as she disappeared) with largely similar personalities. But Yuusuke does beg the question of whether they are actually themselves in the "what if" world because he turned from this total bro to this total asshole. One plausible albeit somewhat cynical explanation is that Yuusuke was genuinely shocked to see Norimichi with Nazuna and turned hostile when he thought the two were going to end up together (whereas prior he might've wanted to see Norimichi fail). It's somewhat important to explain this inconsistency in Yuusuke's character because if personalities were inverted then Nazuna in real life might not have actually liked Norimichi. But first, I don't think personalities were inverted in the "what if" world because I think the biggest inconsistency in Yuusuke isn't entirely inconsistent. Second, Nazuna in the real world may not have cared who won the race but she did expect Norimichi to win, which suggests that she was planning to ask Norimichi out. Third, in the train scene in the manga Nazuna remembered how she looked to a picture between her and Norimichi when she was sad about her dad passing away; even if personalities were inverted, there's nothing to suggest that memories did too. All this is to say we should expect the ending to be a happy one if Norimichi and Nazuna reunite in Tokyo.

Despite how impressive the visuals and the soundtrack were, the anime was a huge mess because of unnecessary gaps in storytelling and a very questionable decision to leave the ending more open ended than the manga. Bottom line: a 1.5 hour movie should not have people generating all kinds of theories just to understand it. Shame, since if the anime was adopted precisely as the manga it could've been a much more substantive piece of work rather just something that looked pretty but hollow. That said, Uchiage Hanabi as a whole does tell a cute love story with a message of hope.

If the movie fails to showcase all these elements you talked about, then it's a bad movie. Don't blame audience for being clueless about wtf is going on.

Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » To anyone who rated this above a 6: Are you okay?

Alyssaromantic - Jun 29, 2022

48 by eblf2013 »»
Apr 28, 7:36 AM

Poll: » How would you feel about a remake?

SSSTenshi - Nov 7, 2022

10 by EGOIST »»
May 14, 2023 12:09 AM

Poll: » Why rated below than 7..?

Abdul_Manan - Nov 25, 2018

37 by STSayeb »»
Jan 9, 2023 6:50 PM

» How is the OST so popular

AnimeGuy28 - Sep 2, 2021

15 by Shasa69 »»
Nov 25, 2022 8:54 AM

» So what happened here?

DonTrumpolino - Aug 26, 2018

14 by Alyssaromantic »»
Jun 29, 2022 12:49 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.