Forum Settings
Forums
Fireworks, Should We See It from the Side or the Bottom? (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Aug 18, 2017 3:13 AM
Aug 2015
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Well the movie was Beautiful although there were some flaws but overall it was beautiful and statisfing Akiyuki's direction was great as always but it seem like Shaft are busy at making Owari and Kubikiri like there were some scenes in CG and it was annoying but the relationship was so heartwhelming and that train scene was very beautiful , for me it was 8.5 but I think I will go for 9 for now
M-A-M2000Aug 18, 2017 3:16 AM
Aug 18, 2017 7:54 AM

Apr 2014
where is it out at?
Aug 18, 2017 8:08 AM
Jul 2016
orosan said:
where is it out at?

Theaters, Japan. Maybe elsewhere but i don't think so.
Aug 18, 2017 8:20 AM
Feb 2017
Ok, forgive me for being a newbie at Japanese. I just watched the movie here in Japan and I guess kind of understand it? I know everything aside from whether it's alternate timelines or alternate universes, if the character is aware of this, and how the ending is. (DO THEY END UP TOGETHER LIKE THE SHARDS REFLECT IT?) Also, can someone please for the love of god explain that one scene at the end. It is nerve wracking not to know. Also what exactly was that sphere thing and what happened when it shattered?
Aug 18, 2017 9:05 AM

Aug 2012
FireStriker2000 said:
Ok, forgive me for being a newbie at Japanese. I just watched the movie here in Japan and I guess kind of understand it? I know everything aside from whether it's alternate timelines or alternate universes, if the character is aware of this, and how the ending is. (DO THEY END UP TOGETHER LIKE THE SHARDS REFLECT IT?) Also, can someone please for the love of god explain that one scene at the end. It is nerve wracking not to know. Also what exactly was that sphere thing and what happened when it shattered?

It is safe to assume what you saw on the shards is what would've happened in a different timeline if they went to Tokyo together. At the end when the teacher called up on him, he most likely went away to find her because in that timeline she was dragged away by her mom and supposedly moved somewhere else.
Aug 18, 2017 9:26 AM
May 2012
I enjoyed the movie, especially the soundtrack and most of the animation. However, I think the people expecting something on the caliber of Kimi no Na Wa or Koe no Katachi will be sorrowfully disappointed when they watch this movie.

Character animations were on point for the most part; as expected of Shaft. The only visual gripes I have with this movie are somewhat jarring uses of CG (Insert Song on the train) and the fact that Nazuna has an uncanny resemblance to Senjougahara.

However, the main weakness of this movie lies in the lack of any depth to the relationship between the main characters, Nazuna and Norimichi. After the first loop, it was clear that Nazuna would have asked the first guy out of the pool out to see the fireworks; it mattered not who it was. This starts the remainder of interactions between Nazuna and Norimichi off on a bad, and shallow, foot. Nazuna's interaction with her parents could best be described as childish, a trait which Norimichi seems share through his actions of helping her (and himself) run away from their problems. This seeming lack of common sense appears to manifest in the supporting cast as well, where Yuusuke basically kills both Nazuna and Norimichi in the second loop for some very weak reasons. I would have liked to see more concrete reasoning be given to the characters for their actions, be it through more development of the circumstances in Nazuna's life that caused her to run away, or simply toning down the "highschool drama" aspect.

At the end of the day, the movie was still enjoyable to watch, and the soundtrack is quite nice. In particular, I think Suzu Hirose's first performance in lead role was supurb and would love to see her taking on similar roles in the future.

Aug 18, 2017 10:23 AM
Feb 2017
Asphodelus said:
FireStriker2000 said:

It is safe to assume what you saw on the shards is what would've happened in a different timeline if they went to Tokyo together. At the end when the teacher called up on him, he most likely went away to find her because in that timeline she was dragged away by her mom and supposedly moved somewhere else.
So basically that last scene where he went off to look for her is the last timeline (since the crystal thing is shattered now). So that scene where they were swimming together at the end is rewinded back to her being taken away if I am correct? His absence was due to him remembering that and searching for her? This would make this last scene and timeline the Canon one. Since this is alternate timelines and not parallel universes if I am correct?
FireStriker2000Aug 18, 2017 10:27 AM
Aug 18, 2017 4:37 PM

Aug 2012
FireStriker2000 said:
Asphodelus said:

So basically that last scene where he went off to look for her is the last timeline (since the crystal thing is shattered now). So that scene where they were swimming together at the end is rewinded back to her being taken away if I am correct? His absence was due to him remembering that and searching for her? This would make this last scene and timeline the Canon one. Since this is alternate timelines and not parallel universes if I am correct?

Yes, I think you got it.
Aug 19, 2017 1:04 AM

Aug 2009
For people wondering whether to go to the theater for this movie, my answer is no.

Probably I had too high of an expectation from the preview

Pros: Art, music, scenary, Monogatari series feel

Cons: unsatisfying ending, also I find a lack of characters in the lead

Well it's a good place for people who are new to Shaft to start i guess
Aug 19, 2017 3:46 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
where did people watch this?
Aug 19, 2017 3:54 PM

Feb 2017
EcchiKingMamster said:

Japan I guess?

Aug 19, 2017 4:02 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
InceptionLoop said:
EcchiKingMamster said:

Japan I guess?

i didn't think people from japan used MAL lol
Aug 19, 2017 5:20 PM

Oct 2015
EcchiKingMamster said:
InceptionLoop said:

Japan I guess?

well they flew there just to watch the movie I guess?
Aug 19, 2017 5:28 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
EGOIST said:
EcchiKingMamster said:

ain't no fucking way LOOOOOLLL
Aug 19, 2017 5:28 PM

Oct 2015
EcchiKingMamster said:
EGOIST said:

nah I've seen people say they did for kimi no na wa/koe no katachi premiere XD
Aug 19, 2017 5:32 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
EGOIST said:
EcchiKingMamster said:

fly to japan just to watch a movie that you can torrent later watch when the BD is out or it airs in their country?
Aug 19, 2017 5:34 PM

Oct 2015
EcchiKingMamster said:
EGOIST said:

fly to japan just to watch a movie that you can torrent later watch when the BD is out or it airs in their country?
they have money and time so why not?
Aug 19, 2017 5:38 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
EGOIST said:
EcchiKingMamster said:

they have money and time so why not?

lol im just sayin man gawd damn, i feel bad for anyone who didn't like the movie XD
Aug 19, 2017 5:58 PM

Jul 2012
I saw it coincidentially while on vacation in Japan lol. I put the movie on too high a pedastal before watching it, and honestly was a little let down. Some scenes were really well animated like the non-cg part of Norimichi biking to school in the beginning, and then theres the rest of the CG lol. Shaft used a lot, some good and a lot really awkward looking. One of my favorite parts about the movie was the theme song by Daoko, but was kinda disappointed when it played. Overall it was an okay movie, wouldn’t recommend anyone fly over just to see it or anything even if you love Shaft.
Aug 20, 2017 4:59 AM

Mar 2014
Same for me. I am currently at Japan for Summer holiday and I noticed they were doing a lot of advertising for this Movie, so I decided to watch it.
I was pretty disappointed, probably because I recently watched Kizumonogatari which was excellent
Aug 21, 2017 6:55 AM

Feb 2008
When I first heard about this movie my first question was along the lines of "Why would they want to this...from an artistic or story telling point of view?". The reason for question being that I remember the original TV movie it is based on. Having watched the movie, it was quite obvious the film expands greatly on the "What if?" scenario depicted in the TV movie but the results, to me, are rather so-so.

Overall first impression, given that I finished watching the film about twenty minutes ago, is that it's nice to look at but lacking a bit in heart. It sometimes gets a little heavy handed with its narrative hints (place names, filaments in light bulbs, etc). The one thing they did do well was expand the scope of the story's imagery to fit a big cinema screen.

The one thing I found interesting is that, to me, the more I watched the movie, the more the characters started to resemble the original actors from the TV show who were playing elementary school kids. A little bit in appearance (especially the relative statures of the characters) but more so from their behaviour and actions.
Aug 21, 2017 4:44 PM

Jan 2014
Uhh, I want to see this one... The music video is beyond beautiful
Aug 22, 2017 4:00 AM
Jul 2013
Just watched the movie today, and there were some questions which are still clinging onto my head such as: why the Miura sensei's breasts were smaller than usual when she wore the kimono? Why did Yuusuke think of poo when he saw nazuna? (i believe the Yuusuke's urge to poo played quite a big part in changing the pathways for the future) What was that fantasy scene in the train, and GOD that Minoru's VA and Face did not match one single bit.
But really, saying that fireworks are flat is like saying the world is flat -_- A big L for all dem boys except for the real G kazuhiro A.K.A Hide from TG
Sep 3, 2017 4:02 PM

Jan 2013
Saw this at the Aeon Cineplex in Chiba right before the last night showing of Magical Mirai 2017. Overall, it was decent at best. The visuals for the most part was nice but i wonder why they decided to use crappy CG especially whenever bicycles were involved.

Story and character wise, it was weak to me. I guess i was disappointed because I did the same and was expecting something similar to Kimi no na wa. Plus, this is Shaft! Kizumonogatari was so good. I take back what I said about Kizu's CG looking out of place, Uchiage Hanabi was so much worse. The ending was very unexpected and ridiculous (i did like the visuals tho) but it does make you curious on what happened to them.

One more thing, the ending theme/music video is so good I had it on repeat several times. Its the main reason why I went to watch the movie.
Sep 25, 2017 6:12 AM

May 2012
Withholding any judgement until I re-watch it subbed.
Oct 5, 2017 1:38 AM

Mar 2012
Okay, just got back from seeing this at the cinema with a friend in Sydney.

It's an audiovisual spectactular and all around solid movie that has me hoping for great things from Shaft in the future. But at the same time, the story was definitely lacking. It's hard to explain, but nothing really blew me away and it felt almost as if there were a bunch of missing scenes.

But yeah, still well worth a watch if you're a fan of Shaft. Just don't expect it to blow your mind like A Silent Voice or Your Name.
Oct 5, 2017 2:15 AM

Mar 2012
GlowingAura said:
SeibaaHomu said:

Ooh, you saw it in Sydney? I would've gone in Canberra but Hoyts doesn't show those movies :/ I haven't seen it yet but thank you for the info (even though it wasn't directed at me) ^^
No problem!

Shame you can't see it. I wouldn't go as far as calling it a must see, but I thought it was pretty good all the same.
Oct 5, 2017 5:28 AM

Jan 2014
GlowingAura said:
SeibaaHomu said:

Ooh, you saw it in Sydney? I would've gone in Canberra but Hoyts doesn't show those movies :/ I haven't seen it yet but thank you for the info (even though it wasn't directed at me) ^^

Dendy is currently showing it, to my knowledge.
Oct 9, 2017 1:30 AM
Aug 2017
Finally,I’ve seen it ,but it’s not in Japan. I can understand Japanese and English. Therefore,I think this film is a dark story. A lot of people think it’s SF and romantic. Exactly. But it’s not only.
I won’t spoil you this story. But I thought I’ve seen this film twice.
Oct 10, 2017 7:08 AM
Apr 2015
I feel like it was 20-30 minutes away from being exceptional. The drawbacks of changing the world on a whim, the effects it had on the people around the MCs and the changes that the world had to undertake to achieve the wish of the MC could all have been interesting, but they could only lightly touch on them in the 90 minutes of runtime. Still decent tho. The romance was pretty cute, it looked pretty stunning aside from the 2-3 shots where they noticeably used CG characters and the music was, as usual for Satoru Kosaki, fantastic.

As for the ending, the scene at the end showed that the MC did not go to school the next day. I think this is a pretty good sign that they did go to Tokyo. The shards of glass seemed to represent the world that the person desired (i.e. Yusuke going to the festival with Nazuna). Seeing as the MCs had the same thing on their shard, their interests aligned and they did end up going. That's my interpretation, at least. How well that could've gone for them is anyone's guess.
Oct 23, 2017 3:42 PM

Oct 2012
is anyone else like completely bored of this art style shaft constantly recycle for every show?
Oct 25, 2017 9:07 PM
Jul 2008
Saw this at the cinemas in NZ. Not gonna lie, best part of the movie is the ending theme song when they played the credits lmao.
Nov 2, 2017 8:58 AM

Dec 2011
Just watched it on theater in my country. Watching this movie somehow popped a word 'psychedelic' in my mind...

Hmmmm... Totally not what I expected, and I don't really get its direction. I found overall it's kinda beautiful tho. But not something I would recommend people to watch, except I know their taste around this.

Btw that ending tho

Maybe that's something they left for audiences to imagine...

SeibaaHomu said:
Just don't expect it to blow your mind like A Silent Voice or Your Name.

Yeah, dunno why, I can't help but expecting this to be the next Kimi no Na wa and Koe no Katachi, something that would appeal to the masses easily. Turned out it's very... hmmm... Well, it does blow my mind tho, still in a positive way, just not in the same way as the previous two did. The previous two isn't my favorite, but I did rate them high 'objectively', in a sense that I know many people would like it because of the story, animation, what it conveys, etc. Now if I were to like or rate this movie high, it would be because it happened to suit my taste or it happened to strike some chords in me. ...but TBH, none of these three is my favorite or something I hold dearly.
monkryNov 2, 2017 9:34 AM
Nov 2, 2017 9:10 AM
Nov 2017
This is a great anime movie. But the ending is confusing, not just the ending the whole "what if" process is confusing. Maybe they want to let the viewer to interpret the ending themselves?

For me :

Warning! Spoiler below contains my interpretation for the whole movie.

Kuukan_KyomuNov 2, 2017 8:09 PM
Nov 2, 2017 7:09 PM

Jul 2015
Watched it yesterday. It is a really enjoyable movie tbh. The art is really beautiful, music is top notch, and Cinderella's dat portrayal when Nazuna becomes an idol.

The movie works with "what if" situation. But in the end, it is the whole imagination of Norimichi in my opinion. The real world is the first one for me.

Anyways good movie, I fall in love with the ost and the art. It got me engaged from the beginning till the end. Thou the cgi is pretty weird tbh.
Nov 3, 2017 6:03 PM
Jun 2017
Basically, I watch this because it is shaft and I'm a fan of it.
I'm glad I don't expect some awesome plot story. Or rather i should say I'm very grateful I watch this just for the beautiful art and the music.

Because I feel like there's no plot in the story. It's like watching re:zero all over again but with shaft seasoning. And the ending just left me like: ''ok.................. What?''.
It's not like I don't understand what the movie means but... it was so plain. Really plain. The mc is very plain and (almost)has zero character development. I don't even know how I should feel after watching it.

If you have friend who want to watch this and expecting some deep romance like a silent voice or blow-minded plot like kimi no nawa,.. I will suggest prevent them to watch it.

That aside, the movie is pretty enjoyable if you can tolerate the cgi.

Nov 4, 2017 1:45 AM

Jun 2013
Kuukan_Kyomu said:
This is a great anime movie. But the ending is confusing, not just the ending the whole "what if" process is confusing. Maybe they want to let the viewer to interpret the ending themselves?

For me :

Warning! Spoiler below contains my interpretation for the whole movie.

Wow that explain why he mad in second loop but in first loop Yusuke act like he avoiding nazuna, i like your theory.
Nov 4, 2017 9:22 PM
Jun 2015
Let's see, I really do like this movie, (haven't watched the original), but maybe that's because i'm a geek on movies or series like this. e.g. The Girl who Leapt Through Time, Steins;Gate, Yojouhan, and yea pretty much any anime that have time loop/travel aspect on it (whether it's sci-fi or not idc.) Art is pretty nice (lacking on CG at a few parts), story is pretty simple in concept and might be childish (that's to be expected from middle-schooler/high-schooler casts), I do love the cast so much, but what I've liked the most from this movie is the soundtrack + music direction, those actually got me in the feels tbh.

And that ending tho, man, I can't sleep thinking about it the whole night, thank god I found this thread.

I'm giving it a 9/10 because of the pure enjoyment I got from this movie, totally worth it IMO. And FYI I enjoyed it better than Kimi no Na Wa or Koe no Katachi. Don't get me wrong, those are amazing movies no doubt. But this is just my subjective opinion.

Nov 5, 2017 6:02 PM
Nov 2017
After watching the original 1995 live action movie. I see they added a spice into the anime movie and changed the story a little bit here and there.

But since this is an anime only discussion thread, i won't go into more detail.

What i want to say is for those who interested, maybe they can try to watch the original live action movie, it could change your view for the anime movie. Because i think that spice won't be there for no reason.
Kuukan_KyomuNov 5, 2017 6:06 PM
Nov 5, 2017 6:06 PM

Oct 2015
lmao the score dipped to 6.91
Nov 9, 2017 12:21 PM
Sep 2012
Am I the only one prefer just the AMV (no movie, like Shelter) rather than the movie?
It's so confusing and non-conclusive.. Just my opinion tho, no offense. And I'm interested with the few theories here ;)
Nov 10, 2017 4:47 AM
Aug 2015
Watched it at cinema today, 'cause i got a free ticket lol

It has confusing plot, some bad CGI, and unclear ending. The characters weren't that good as well.. Norimichi is a generic SoL MC. Nazuna is a tame version of Senjougahara. And Yusuke, i can't stop thinking about Kida Masaomi when I saw him on the screen. Ah, i laughed when they parodied the Disney scenes xD But I won't deny that the art is pretty neat (even though sometimes it looks bad), and also the soundtracks are great. It was an OK show, not recommended to everyone who like to watch on cinema/theater.
Nov 11, 2017 10:48 AM
Oct 2017
When I watched this with my friends, we were so loud laughing our ass off, so much so that we probably disrupted other viewers in the cinema. As much as I disliked the randomness of things, I really liked the song sung by Nazuna when she was taken off to Disneyland. Does anybody know the song title and where I may be able to listen to it? Thanks in advance.
Nov 13, 2017 4:48 AM

Jul 2010
wingbox99 said:
When I watched this with my friends, we were so loud laughing our ass off, so much so that we probably disrupted other viewers in the cinema. As much as I disliked the randomness of things, I really liked the song sung by Nazuna when she was taken off to Disneyland. Does anybody know the song title and where I may be able to listen to it? Thanks in advance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDkaw-oSGJM
It's from the original TV show.
オタクなんじゃねぃよ
I'm not an otaku.
Nov 13, 2017 4:49 AM

Jul 2010
Just watched this in my suite. Not bad, I'd say. People are just over-expectant after Kimi no na wa and Silent Voice.
オタクなんじゃねぃよ
I'm not an otaku.
Nov 13, 2017 5:11 AM

Feb 2017
I thought the animation was really pretty (despite many people criticising Shaft's animation), especially during the fireworks scene.

The music was really nice as well although I have to admit Nazuna's random princess song in the middle seemed kinda odd to the point that the audience members in the cinema were legit laughing and mocking her.

The biggest let down for me was the plot. In my opinion, the ending was really confusing and I really felt no substantial plot progression and no real character and relationship development between Nazuna and Norimichi. Maybe I'm just ignorant of how these types of movies. I'm a big fan of romance/drama animes but honestly, I felt that this movie was really poor at fulfilling those genres.

I really wanted this movie to be good but I honestly didn't enjoy it too much unfortunately.
Nov 15, 2017 1:27 PM

Jul 2014
This was a decent movie, but ultimately it seemed to just get lost along the way: from the point when the train went out to sea until the final scene, it just stopped making sense. However, I was reasonably enjoying it up to that point, even if I don't really get what the actual point of it all really was: so much was left unresolved and unexplained. However, I think the actual ending was reasonably, if not entirely, clear: the focus on Nazuna's chair, then ending with it becoming clear Norimichi is absent would seem to indicate that they did elope together, which I'm guessing had something to do with Norimichi catching the shard showing them together in Tokyo. Still, I really don't see why they couldn't have just shown a second or two of this before or after the credits just to make it a little more obvious.

7/10
Nov 15, 2017 2:08 PM

Sep 2013
That was pretty okay. It had a fare few flaws, characters lacking character, too many CG people, not Shaft's A-game when it comes to animation and the plot getting more and more abstract and open.

I have no real grasp on the relations with these characters, and it doesn't help that the answers are different on each route.

Really, I was left wanting an after credit scene because I just wanted something concrete.
Nov 15, 2017 5:33 PM

Feb 2012
Saw it today as it has been released in some UK cinemas.

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » To anyone who rated this above a 6: Are you okay?

Alyssaromantic - Jun 29, 2022

47 by past_feelings »»
Mar 26, 2:43 AM

Poll: » How would you feel about a remake?

SSSTenshi - Nov 7, 2022

10 by EGOIST »»
May 14, 2023 12:09 AM

Poll: » Why rated below than 7..?

Abdul_Manan - Nov 25, 2018

37 by STSayeb »»
Jan 9, 2023 6:50 PM

» How is the OST so popular

AnimeGuy28 - Sep 2, 2021

15 by Shasa69 »»
Nov 25, 2022 8:54 AM

» So what happened here?

DonTrumpolino - Aug 26, 2018

14 by Alyssaromantic »»
Jun 29, 2022 12:49 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.