Forum Settings
Forums
A Silent Voice
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (15) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 » ... Last »
May 23, 2017 5:50 AM

Jul 2015
This was surprisingly good. It was really long and had some awkward and boring parts, but overall it was much better than I expected. I thought it was interesting how they didn't paint the bullies as bad guys and showed their suffering too. Though it's kinda unrealistic for people who have bullied and hated each other to just keep hanging out like that. A normal person would've just gotten new friends instead of going through all that drama.
May 23, 2017 6:59 AM

Dec 2014
ahh, finally, after months of waiting for this, currently watching and halfway through, watching the 1st part is painful, but Shouko's confession just made me puke a lot of rainbows, just like in the manga. XD

and WOW, i did not think that my hate for Kawai will multiply..... gawd, i despise her.
testamentKAISERMay 23, 2017 7:18 AM
May 23, 2017 9:14 AM

Nov 2012
I haven't read the manga, but this movie was a pretty good and moving story about a bully who tries to fix his mistakes in the past, the victim was a more complex character than she appears at firs glance. Some parts and characters felt like they could have been developed more which I assume the manga does it better.

The artwork is beautiful but it's trademark modern KyoAni style which is getting a bit old for my tastes, not that it's bad just that it's not as impactful since I have seen the style many times before.

8/10.
May 23, 2017 9:36 AM

Jan 2016
Incredibly overrated imo. Nice depth to some of the characters and the best part for me at least, was definitely the symbolism. You could pause at any time and you'd find some really nice meaning behind what was shown. Still I think the plot was really weak, pacing was iffy and some of the characters got shafted pretty badly.

This is rough 2:35 am thoughts so forgive me if I've messed up anywhere

Edit: I should add, I found it to be emotional at times and that the art+music were gorgeous. Maybe I'm indifferent because of my reading of the manga.
ParthosticMay 23, 2017 9:53 AM
May 23, 2017 2:25 PM

Nov 2012
Are the subs any good by know everyone?
I'm thinking of watching this with HS subs
May 23, 2017 3:17 PM

Feb 2012
Should have been a TV series instead, hopefully we get one from Kyoani.

Great movie but i couldnt help but nitpick at stuff since im a big fan of the manga. Alot of plot threads just complete cut out and changes from here to here. Although the ending here is wayy better than the manga. Still a 9/10.
May 23, 2017 3:38 PM

Apr 2015
I just saw this movie and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was beautiful.
But I seriously want to know, why was Ishida's mum bleeding with her ear cut after speaking with Shoko's mum. Please I need an answer
May 23, 2017 4:23 PM

Dec 2014
-Taicho- said:
But I seriously want to know, why was Ishida's mum bleeding with her ear cut after speaking with Shoko's mum. Please I need an answer

her expensive looking earrings (it was shown briefly).... she pawned it before meeting and apologizing to Nishimama.... i think...
May 23, 2017 5:00 PM

Apr 2015
testamentKAISER said:
-Taicho- said:

her expensive looking earrings (it was shown briefly).... she pawned it before meeting and apologizing to Nishimama.... i think...

I get that she wanted to pay Shoko's mum, but it looked like she was roughened up after going to speak with her. It almost feels like Nishiyima did that as a form of payback for what Ishida did to Shoko
May 23, 2017 5:03 PM

Dec 2014
-Taicho- said:
testamentKAISER said:

I get that she wanted to pay Shoko's mum, but it looked like she was roughened up after going to speak with her. It almost feels like Nishiyima did that as a form of payback for what Ishida did to Shoko

or Ishida's mom really wants to right the wrongs of her son, and when she rips her earrings in front of nishimama, Nishimama finally relented...(?) idk...
May 23, 2017 5:10 PM

Apr 2015
testamentKAISER said:
-Taicho- said:

or Ishida's mom really wants to right the wrongs of her son, and when she rips her earrings in front of nishimama, Nishimama finally relented...(?) idk...

This, it's also possible it could have been this. Nishiyima can be scary. Maybe one can confirm from the manga
May 23, 2017 5:21 PM

Dec 2014
-Taicho- said:
testamentKAISER said:

This, it's also possible it could have been this. Nishiyima can be scary. Maybe one can confirm from the manga

Nishimama? of course. she use her Kaioken x 1000 against MC and Ueno......
May 24, 2017 2:17 AM
Sep 2013
On_the_Lam said:
misachin said:
I wonder if some people not pay attention to this movie because of a certain Movie that just monopolize the first rank.

Koe no Katachi should actually have gotten twice as much attention as Kimi no Nawa, since it's based on a popular manga.

Mikoto Shinkai is one of the most well-known anime film maker and his stuff would be more "mainstream," which would attract even people who aren't generally into anime. Also, "Kimi no Na wa" is the better movie.

Anyways, was the MC's brother-in-law that huge in the manga? They do know that he is suppose to be Brazilian and not Black right?
MrNTRMay 24, 2017 2:39 AM
May 24, 2017 7:02 AM

Apr 2009
A great analysis of the movie:
May 24, 2017 11:41 AM
Jan 2012
One of few animation movies which make you feel sorry to your mother...
SORRY I HAD DONE WRONG, MOM.
May 24, 2017 1:11 PM
Apr 2015
Was waiting half a year for it to come out on digitally. Finally came out on Google play this week in the UK, I really liked it but it felt pretty underwhelming, I blame myself for that to be fair for hyping myself up shit too much.
May 24, 2017 4:11 PM
Oct 2010
Just finished it and overall I have to say that it was good. There are a bunch of glaring problems though and I think overall that this movie should have been a series instead. I haven't read the source material, but this would have greatly benefited from a 12 episode run vs a 2 hour (6 episode run) movie. I have no read the source material so I'm judging this solely on the movie.

First I'll start with what I thought was well done

- Overall the themes of the movie were conveyed well.
- Shouya, Yuzuru and Shouko are good characters.
- Very well animated.
- Good humour (when it happened).

Now I'll move on and expand on things I didn't think were well done.

The rest of the supporting cast -

It felt like everyone else including Ueno who is sort of the "main antagonist" of the series were way too underdeveloped for us to care about them. We barely got to see things from Ueno's point of view so she comes off as a complete bitch for the entire movie. This goes on until the very end (like last 20 minutes) when you find out why she is really acting the way she is, but even then she doesn't really get to explain herself so it did nothing to sway my opinion. I mean I get where she is coming from but since the explanation is so light it doesn't even make me think about my opinion of her. She more than likely is in love with Shouya as well and resents Shouka for "causing" Shouya to get a bad rep through elementary and quite likely though middle school (no idea if she knew about this though because I have no idea if she went to the same middle school).

Kawai felt extremely one dimensional. It was almost as though she flipped a crazy switch whenever things got too serious and she could never see the faults in her own behaviour. That was obviously the point, but by the end of the show she was the same character as she was at the start. Literally ZERO development. The only thing I can infer (and if a manga reader could spoiler tag a reply with this) is that she likes Mashiba because when she came to apologize on the bridge she said that Mashiba said she should do it (this also explains the hair change).

Mashiba/Sahara had no development at all as well. In fact I didn't realize that Sahara was originally part of the main group in elementary school until they brought up that she and ueno were like best buds. I really didn't see it and that's the problem with going with the movie format. Mashiba was also pretty non existent for the movie, so much so that Shouya couldn't even find something to tell him to push him away. I mean I guess you could say it was his hatred of bullying, but since he never even confronted Shouya on that after finding out, I don't really know what to say.

Nagatsuka gets some development but he doesn't grow at all, once again he is the same from start to finish, but at least he had his own trials and tribulations throughout the movie. The biggest problem I had with him is that it didn't seem like he had any ideas, motives or anything for himself. As he stated in the bathroom, his whole world seemed to be Shouyo and that was actually really off putting and I'm surprised the group didn't act more negatively toward that.

Rest of cast served their purpose (mothers etc), not sure why they blocked out his sister's face and showed the husband but w/e. The grandma could have used quite a bit more screen time as well, her death did nothing for me. TLDR: There was a lack of development for all the side characters and that made it harder to relate, empathize or change my opinions about them.

Disjointed events

At times it felt like the movie was almost doing time skips, or rather, jumping around between scenes, like something was missing. It almost feels like a lot of content was cut from this (manga readers confirm for me again) but two particular scenes stood out for me.

The transition from him being bully to bullied and the part where he deliberately broke up the group (because of misunderstanding Shouko) and to when he and Shouko were hanging out and he was being super clingy. Both times felt like something in the middle of those two scenes was missing.

Not enough downtime from the drama

This comes back into the content complaint, the lack of downtime between the drama made it harder to become more attached to the characters because you saw them at their worst moments far too often in a short space of time. Being an series could have had foreshadowing of future events while keeping a lighter tone until they happened. I thought some of the jokes were actually really good so its a shame there weren't more (prime example would be when Nagatsuka finds out Yuzuru is a girl). I'd have also liked to see them do more things as a group to make the group dynamic seem more genuine and for me to get more invested in it. Being a movie absolutely did this no favours in that regard.

Shouko and Shouya's relationship

I actually didn't like that they left their relationship where it was in the movie. They are clearly more than friends but other than the one misunderstood confession scene there's no other attempt by either of them to express their true feelings. Of course I could be wrong and the manga has something different, but Shouko did confess already and Shouya did say he wanted her to make his life better (or something like that). I felt like it needed to go beyond that to give people a satisfying ending. This could be an old case of a "buy the manga" type ending though, so I guess I can let that slide.

TLDR: This way too short and needed to be a series to fulfill it's true potential.

If manga readers can spoiler tag any of the stuff I asked for in this and reply that would be cool.
GD1551May 24, 2017 4:36 PM
May 24, 2017 6:46 PM

Aug 2013
I think it was since Clannad that I didn't cry that much. Well, I didn't bawl my eyes out like in Clannad, but there was some truly powerful moments. Just the ending left me flabbergasted. The way the music just exploded with Ishida meltdown made me all upside down. It truly felt like his ears had just suddenly popped. Man, the emotion just flood there.

It's really moving to me that the story is kinda more focused around Ishida. He was a totally broken kid, an empty shell. As someone with clinical anxiety, I could reconize myself in a lot of situation he was in.

Also, I don't think it even have to be said but : Shoko is love, Shoko is life. Fuck man, I don't know how the VA did it, but that broken awkward voice was soooo cute.

Anyway, it was a great movie. Been a while since I felt I needed to write my thought, it was that great.
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
May 24, 2017 7:48 PM

Dec 2014
This movie was great, but I was a little bit disappointed because they tuned down the manga story a lot, which was quite more heavy than the movie portrayed.

They also cut a lot of the story sub-plot but that didn't affect me as much.

9/10

This 2 reasons prevented me from giving the movie a 10/10 that I would have liked to give as I did for the manga when I first read it and became one of my favorites instantly.
May 24, 2017 7:50 PM

Dec 2014
Rupdedudludu said:
This may be a silly question but... Is it even possible for a deaf person to attend a normal school?

In my country Yes, not sure how it goes for other places.

But they are inserted in a "special" class. Or if one is not available they have a teacher appointed to them to help them and assist them.
May 24, 2017 8:13 PM
Jul 2018
Im not gonna rate it or anything, cause honestly I dont think I can. I just enjoyed it so much, there were things that I always just thought in my head and I thought no one else thought the same way, but-
Asking if his hair was real LOL
May 24, 2017 8:39 PM

Jan 2011
I'll keep this short since i went in with high expectations and this kinda came out of no where as a big hit for me not to mention still waiting on watching another "Big" one.

didn't read the source so as a movie only viewer i will say the movie was very good it's been ages since i felt so many different emotions in just 2 hours ,not only that it reminded me somewhat of Anohana just sub menma for someone who is deaf which leads me to another interesting theme of covering a story around someone who is deaf only other series i can think of is gangster that did that.

i'd say my biggest issue was character development and it simply didn't feel complete by the end i felt like i wanted just a bit more closure because it only felt like the start of the characters growing ,hell you only got a see a small bit of that one guy with the soul-less eyes.

anywho i'm sure others have put much more detail into the depth of this movie but it really was a good watch,8.5/10
kyonani continues to do great movies

also i'd say fuck Ueno despite being a bae but Kawai exist girls like her are the worrressstt
katsu044May 24, 2017 8:45 PM
May 25, 2017 4:36 AM
Jul 2018
This movie is just beautifull 9/10
May 25, 2017 5:36 AM

Dec 2014
How did this live up to my expectations? This movie was so amazing! I don't even know how long I've been waiting to watch this. I read the first manga chapter a long time ago but wanted to save it because it seemed like it was going to be really good. Then the movie got announced and I just decided to wait and watch it instead. Even now I waited for the perfect conditions to watch it. I was going to watch it yesterday but it started raining so I passed.

Pirate Radio is one of my favorite movies so starting it with My Generation was an easy way to get me hooked in. Oh, and can I just say how awesome the character designs were because they were really awesome. All of them were really good, but Sahara and Ishida were my favorites though. Yuzuru was MVP of this movie. She was the best at being the best.

I'm someone that doesn't like movies a lot because the pacing always feels off. Even when it's a good movie I then just end up wanting more because it felt like it went by too quickly. I especially am not a big fan of movie endings. They always feel like they're lacking. So with all that said I loved the ending to this. Like, holy shit it's one of the best movie endings I've ever seen. For me to feel so much closure and to not have that "I wish it didn't end there" feeling is something else.

This was everything I wanted it to be and probably even a little more.

10/10

Also, does anyone know why she took one of her hearing aids? I must've missed something because I don't remember being told why she took it out.
May 25, 2017 6:34 AM

Apr 2016
It was a good movie, though i had hoped for a romance ending.

Also, that moment when his mother went " btw, why'd you try to kill yourself?". Clenched so hard I almost cramped.
Man, I have to stop falling in love with fictitious high school girls'...moms!
May 25, 2017 5:02 PM

Jan 2012
bdsbff said:

Also, does anyone know why she took one of her hearing aids? I must've missed something because I don't remember being told why she took it out.

Do you mean when Shouko had one of her hearing aids removed? The movie doesn't quite straight out tell you.

Theres a scene in which Shouko has a silent visit to the doctor. You don't hear exactly what is said, but you can tell by Nishmiya's grimace and the cold, bleak hospital room that it's not good news. About a minute later into the movie, Yuzuru comes in to Shouko's room to give her the cat pouch Shouya got from the cat place. She then discovers a Shouko lying despondently on her bead, her hand cupped over her ear. With the context of the doctor visit, the viewer can infer that Shouko completely lost her hearing in one ear.

It's a simple, but heartbreaking scene that captures Nishimiya's struggles with her disability. The movie has a lot of this sort of thing, communicating information to the viewer solely through visuals and animation rather than dialogue and exposition.
May 25, 2017 6:36 PM

Aug 2012
I just watched this film today.

I really appreciated the directing of this movie. As previously mentioned, the viewer experiences a spread of different emotions throughout the 2 hours. The scenes are easily relatable. I think its due to the clarity in the nonverbal scenes especially. Which goes to say for the fact that a theme from the movie is deafness.

Honestly, this movie had me jumping and running around my living room, to crying on my floor, to shouting in anticipation. That's what made it so great for me.

I'm surprised about the lack of discussion here on the theme of suicide and depression (Especially on it's prevalence in Japanese vs Western culture). I know it's a difficult thing to discuss on a public forum, perhaps, but I think it was a bigger theme in this film then has been discussed.

Thoughts?
May 26, 2017 3:03 AM

Oct 2010
fox_quixote said:
I'm surprised about the lack of discussion here on the theme of suicide and depression (Especially on it's prevalence in Japanese vs Western culture). I know it's a difficult thing to discuss on a public forum, perhaps, but I think it was a bigger theme in this film then has been discussed.

Thoughts?

Well, this thread and the subforum in general are focused on discussing the events and ideas inside the film, so maybe a more indepth discussion on suicide and depression would be an off-topic diversion and we should rather move to Casual Discussion for that. There have been quite a bunch of threads about these issues out there if I remember correctly.
May 26, 2017 4:14 AM

Nov 2016
I think Nishimiya is the character who speaks more than other. Since the beginning she has the ability to ask sorry, this is something that Ishida understand at the end. Beyond the other meanings like suicide, bully and other, the will to ask sorry it's the real topic for me. Real plot start when Ishida thinks about if he asked sorry to her for whatever he does.

I also expected for a kiss or something like that. Nishimiya changed herself for him, so I hoped for a scene like that

Is useless compare Your Name with this one, are totally different. This one is really haevy and reach of meanings. Kimi no na Wa it's a full immertion in a love story.
May 26, 2017 7:20 AM

Apr 2017
What a beautiful movie and adaptation, Kyoani's gorgeous animation was outstanding in this one. Enjoyed it a lot.
May 26, 2017 7:35 AM

Jun 2016
Movie of this season (Y)
May 26, 2017 10:01 AM
Jul 2018
Yeah. Of course they would chop out many things from the manga. I wonder why they bothered adapting it into a movie instead of a tv series. Viewers would've had a rather better grasp of what the story actually is about.

There are some flaws and good points I want to state about the movie but it's real mendokusai to do it rn.

7.5/10 animation and art
6/10 OST
6/10 execution of the story

And for an overall final score I'm staying at 7/10 for now cuz Koe no Katachi is one of my honorable mentions. Otherwise it is a 6 out of 10.

P.S. Ishida and Nishimiya are true fighters. Cheers.
removed-userMay 26, 2017 10:32 AM
May 26, 2017 12:07 PM

May 2015
I haven't cried this much since angel beats and that was over 2 years ago, i'm going to have to read the mange to get more of this! still half an hour after its been over and im still tearing up ;/////;
“You choose to be hurt rather than to hurt others, right?
You’re nice and wonderful.
But while it seems like you are choosing both,
you’re really forsaking both.”
May 26, 2017 3:06 PM

Jan 2015
THE BEST ANIME I HAVE EVER SEEN IN MY LIFE
May 26, 2017 3:08 PM

Jul 2013
Ayase said:
I haven't cried this much since angel beats and that was over 2 years ago, i'm going to have to read the mange to get more of this! still half an hour after its been over and im still tearing up ;/////;

Angel beats made you cry?

Then I guess you cry for any anime since angel beats wasn't that sad
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 26, 2017 7:35 PM
Bunnies 🍓

Jan 2013
Finally got to see this movie. It was one of the best movies I ever saw. So much character development and in general loved the story.

They really excelled in the theme for this movie depression, suicide, and all.

For me the worst character was that teacher. He knew Shouko was getting bullied yet he did nothing, so to me he was just as guilty as Ishida.
For me, I liked Shouko the most, I felt so attached to her because of what she went through, so it's nice to see that she got a happy ending. Her laugh really is something sweet about her.

10/10
Loved the movie.

May 26, 2017 8:20 PM

May 2013
The unnatural, theatrical dialogue, yes, even by cartoon standards, when said cartoon is supposed to be dealt with in a serious perspective. The way Ishida, and anyone in this show that was on-screen for over 10 seconds, thinks it's a good idea to leave the most aggressive childhood bully, who showed and shows no remorse around her victim, with her while doing nothing to interfere with the abuse - all of this at the same time they witness it. 10/10

I loved how Ueno could basically walk in anywhere, any time, around anyone (especially the dumb fuck that was Ishida) and could beat the shit out of Nishimiya however way she pleased, hilarious movie, would laugh at it again. Special points for the scene she doesn't allow Nishimiya, who perhaps happens to feel aroused when Ueno sadistically treats her like shit, to enter the hospital room to see him, who had saved her from flying off her balcony. Or maybe when Kawai didn't have to acknowledge the fact she's a bitch as something to regret and work on, instead just spurting a senseless "sorry" to make herself feel better, because that's all she did the entire damn movie: self-defense on her own reputation and self-entitled image.

Dank visuals though, Kyoani does it again. But somehow can't fucking animate cars and goes for lazy, disgusting CGI instead, when the rest of their backgrounds, characters, animation, colors are all top notch. Solid adaptation, it was a shit manga and it IS a shit movie, with a few touching scenes here and there, when we actually had the privilege of not knowing the putrid characters well enough yet. Had Ishida not been bullied for snitching, he would never have felt the need to redeem himself afterwards.
May 26, 2017 9:24 PM
Mar 2017
I liked this movie a lot. It surprised me in many ways. Personally I liked this one more than Your Name.
May 27, 2017 5:34 AM

May 2015
Renaultclio101 said:
Ayase said:

Well everyone has their own opinions of anime :p I was in a bad spot when I started watching anime yada yada yada, so I guess Angel Beats just made me feel some type of way when I was completely immersed into watching it, the plot was obviously not that good but the twist was very surprising to me and it really made me upset from how it turned out (would go into detail but /spoilers :p)
“You choose to be hurt rather than to hurt others, right?
You’re nice and wonderful.
But while it seems like you are choosing both,
you’re really forsaking both.”
May 27, 2017 6:42 AM

May 2016
Renaultclio101 said:
Ayase said:

The anime isn't sad but the final scene is quite manipulative with the music and directing that I can totally understand why someone would cry there.
May 27, 2017 11:01 AM

May 2015
To cram 7 volumes (62 chapters) of content in a mere 2 hr movie is a big no for me... By doing so, you're bound to rush and skip a lot of content from the source material; content which made the whole story and character interactions-development much greater.

Frankly, I would have preferred if this was adapted as a TV series instead of a movie (even if that means it won’t look as good). Just the same way Orange was adapted (5 volumes).

Anyhow, the movie was fine and I enjoyed to see some of the characters and scenes from the manga animated.

6/10 for the movie adaptation. Even without previous knowledge of the source and as a stand-alone movie, I would have rated similar.
8/10 for the manga.

We ultimately fear what spawns from within us ~Shinsekai yori
Music is freedom. ~Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso
May 27, 2017 11:44 AM

Apr 2016
i kinda feel like disappointed maybe because of the hype . and the first half of the movie kinda feel slow . but the visual is amazing kyoani never failed to impressed me . 9/10 .
"Mountains, beings, and nature's laws are bound by an arrangement, and within it, we live." -Mushishi Zoku Shou Suzu No Shizuku
May 28, 2017 9:51 PM

Feb 2009
Jeez I thought it could get no better than Your Name but this movie was fantastic! I don't know if I could even say I loved it though as someone who has dealt with bullying for all of my life a lot of it felt so real to me I couldn't enjoy it it was depressing, and the ending left me empty a little too. Like it was solved...but not really.

May 29, 2017 4:50 AM

Apr 2009
DarcyD said:
Jeez I thought it could get no better than Your Name but this movie was fantastic! I don't know if I could even say I loved it though as someone who has dealt with bullying for all of my life a lot of it felt so real to me I couldn't enjoy it it was depressing, and the ending left me empty a little too. Like it was solved...but not really.

Yes, the movie isn't one you can simply enjoy without feeling some kind of sadness, different than Your Name. I think that the ending gives hope because Ishida found hope and the will to live again, same with Shouko. But it was heartwrenching seeing him crying like that. We see hope but we don't know if they would be happy. But what really matters, and I believe it's the message of the movie, is that Shouya can finally forgive himself and look the world in the eye again. It's certainly a long way out of depression, that isn't sth he can achieve over night, but he took the first important step.
May 29, 2017 5:06 AM

Feb 2015
6/10 mostly because of art/animation
Everything was too rushed, relationships between characters is probably the worst part as they seem fake to me because they didn't showed how they all were created and later developed - from acquaintances to friends. Ishida's and Nishimiya's reasons for suicide were pretty clear so that's one nice thing but it's hard to point out anything else good in this movie.

I guess it was for people who finished manga.
HakaminahMay 29, 2017 5:10 AM
I'm watching anime since 2012. I also play games, sometimes.

Don't bother me if you want to 'become friends' or things like that.
It's tiresome. I know you just want to collect some meaningless numbers.
Thought: How many people sparked H. Charlotta just for blue pot?
May 29, 2017 5:17 AM

Sep 2016
1st half is pretty good, but just like the manga the 2nd half is extremely boring to watch/read that I start skipping stuff. also nishimiya is so annoying and cringe to watch, I think there is something more wrong with her head than her ear. I definitely can sympathize with grade schoolers who make fun of her, it's not because she is deaf but because she is deaf AND she is getting more and more annoying+irritating with her personality, although i'm no snitch like them!! ueno was right, everyone tried to understand nishimiya at first but nishimiya didn't try to understand everyone else. it's matter of personality, not disability.

6/10 fine, but pretty boring later half
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
May 29, 2017 11:35 AM
Jan 2012
GangsterCat said:
ueno was right, everyone tried to understand nishimiya at first but nishimiya didn't try to understand everyone else. it's matter of personality, not disability.

I understand somewhat you are saying, but like Shouko showed at the classroom fighting scene, she was hiding the great pain, fear, and sorrow under her smile in her heart, because everyday was a struggle for her; she had been bullied all along. She thought: because of herself, her parents got divorced. Because of herself, her sister was also getting bullied. Because of herself, her friend Sahara and Shouya was bullied and spent bruised teenage years. She was hiding a growing wish to commit suicide for years. What if she killed herself- like her grandmother, peacefully and abruptly, departed from this life? And in real life, bullied children do commit suicide like that, all of a sudden.

You are sharp, and in a way, you are right. The story is not actually (just) about being deaf or disabilities, as bothe the manga director and the movie director admitted. It's about communication, or relating oneself to another, which is something both Shouko and Shaya have difficulty in doing, because they are traumatized. It is not fast-paced, but detailed in depicting human emotions, and nothing much happens. If you didn't like it, then perhaps you are not yet ready to enjoy this kind of show. Or perhaps you are also a person with communication disorders like Shouya and Shouko, and feel the movie too painful to watch.
GohanwaOkazuMay 29, 2017 11:38 AM
May 29, 2017 11:55 AM

Feb 2015
I enjoyed this much better than Kimi no Nawa for some reason. I like how it was more of a redemption story than a love story.
May 29, 2017 11:58 AM

Sep 2016
GohanwaOkazu said:
If you didn't like it, then perhaps you are not yet ready to enjoy this kind of show. Or perhaps you are also a person with communication disorders like Shouya and Shouko, and feel the movie too painful to watch.

nice way to attack when someone didn't enjoy your favorite anime as much as you, Ueno!
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
May 29, 2017 12:47 PM
Sep 2015
So finally I watched Koe no Katachi. I must say I was impressed. The animation was absolutely stunning throughout the movie. The suicide scene was very well executed. The uncertainty about the ending kept me hooked. I was expecting the worst, especially during the tensed scenes.
Also, this movie also strengthened my viewpoint about the life that people with disabilities have to live, and increased my respect for them. Overall, it was a really nice movie, with Japan proving that nothing beats it when it comes to animation. Though I am not really a movie buff, but I highly recommend watching it.

Not to mention, but Ishida's sister's husband from Brazil looked so cool -
Pages (15) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Life lesson

Thecrot - Jun 6

17 by Nikatto »»
Jun 15, 10:14 AM

Poll: » Will you call it a romance ?

Khushal_v - May 24, 2023

32 by Seansy »»
May 29, 12:09 PM

» What are some differences between the original manga and the movie?

AoiroBlueColor - Aug 27, 2023

14 by Seansy »»
May 29, 11:58 AM

Poll: » Should Koe no Katachi get a reboot as a TV series

HyperBrid - May 22, 2017

47 by Seansy »»
May 29, 11:39 AM

» Did you cry? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stacias - Aug 1, 2022

261 by Seansy »»
May 26, 3:55 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.