Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (13) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Sep 8, 2017 10:41 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Intense, graphic stuff. Not shying away from showing the suffering felt when one is poisoned.

And people say it get worse, jeez,
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Sep 8, 2017 10:46 AM

Jul 2012
Damn, and this is only 13 episodes...

Ozen was a surprise cause I didn't think they'd go that far.

But then they go this far.

It's not often that any scene can get me to actually set down some food and a milkshake and stare, holding my breath.

I was kinda wondering if they would just kill her off and pull a revive somehow. If only things could've been that easy for her.

This episode really shows how clueless Reg is about the Abyss, and even worse it shows that he's really willing to do anything he's told to do.

After all, when someone is desperately trying to find the answer they need that they don't know themselves, they'll be more responsive to any suggestion.

It also really shows how intelligent some abyss creatures are. Not sapient, yet their instincts take into account what humans do and what tools they have.

If that thing weren't very cautious and defensive, Riko would've flat out died, and Reg probably dismantled.

Good to know white whistles are probably more of monsters than that thing though. Makes me wonder if every white whistle they run into will simple be "a nice coincidental meeting between two sane individuals", or if any of THEM pose a threat.

The moment Nanachi came in and said she was there to give them some peace of mind, /I/ was relieved.

Nanachi is super cute. I think I'm going to become a furry.
ChdataSep 8, 2017 10:50 AM
~ Ch-ch-ch-data

Visit my Discord community: VGData.
For games, anime, & music.
Sep 8, 2017 10:51 AM

Feb 2013
The adaption was so perfect I'm crying, the pace, the OST, everything was so awesome. Best episode so far, Nanachi's seiyuu fits so well with their personality too *^*
Sep 8, 2017 10:52 AM
Sep 2015
A great episode.
Nanachi is the reason I got interested in the series and I thought I would never get to see her with so few episodes left. Such a cute character!
Sep 8, 2017 10:53 AM
Dec 2013
Good episode, good adaptation of the situation. Now the real ride begins.
Sep 8, 2017 11:25 AM

Mar 2014
That was hard to watch, damn.
Sep 8, 2017 11:27 AM

Sep 2012
Yes. Yeeesss.

Finally the episode I wanted. Now we need the explanation part of the "furry girl" and it will be enough for me this season.

Sep 8, 2017 11:47 AM
Apr 2017
Good lord, watching this was uncomfortable. I'm actually not sure if that is good or bad for my enjoyment of the show, since I usually dislike when shows show suffering, but I think a part of me died when that scene happened.
You can't stop at just brushing your teeth, you gotta floss as well.
Sep 8, 2017 11:54 AM
Nov 2009
That was intense. Should've taught Reg how to do a cpr before going down the abyss lol.

My jaw was like :O the whole time, thought her arm was gonna get amputated. Also kudos to Riko's voice actress who made the pain sound so realistic.

Sep 8, 2017 12:03 PM

Jan 2014
holyshit that was good (|||O⌓O;)
That was truly terrifying to look at, I could hardly sit still while the blood ran out of her eye sockets and ears.

Can't wait for more!
Sep 8, 2017 12:08 PM

Feb 2015
Easily anime of the season, this episode just proves was a great series this is. The penalty for going deeper gets worse. The amputation scene was harrowing, very nicely done but difficult to watch.
Sep 8, 2017 12:45 PM
Oct 2007
WOW things sure take a turn for the worse. The hype didn't disappoint! The voice actor and actress were awesome. The character design for the creature and Nanchi were so cool and intriguing as well!! Loving every single second of this week episode!!!!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 8, 2017 1:00 PM

Mar 2016
Damn...for all of those people waiting for the anime to get dark...what do you think now!

It was brutal and hard to watch characters we've begun to identify with go through such a horrible situation. I almost couldn't watch Reg break the bone...shudder so hard

Now the anime is hitting peak interest...but only 3 episodes left (please tell me a season 2 is coming) I'm really excited to see how they adapt the rest of the material into these last few episode
I shall rule over the realms of anime and manga! Mwahhahahahaha!!!
Sep 8, 2017 1:09 PM
Review Moderator
Jan 2017
Iconic said:
Pipe said:
At this pace the adaptation will need a second season. Nanachi is here finally!!!
At this rate I am hoping for a second season. There's still several episodes worth of material before they even get to the Fifth Layer that I think they would have to rush things a bit just to get to the elevator.

Regu and Nanachi spend a lot of time in the Fourth Layer while Riko recovers and we learn about the true nature of the curses... among other things. Nanachi and Mitty's backstory alone is worth an entire episode. They could also expand on Pushka's backstory like they did with the Third Layer since it was sort of blown through with all the shocking revelations and moments that happen in the Fifth Layer.

Yes, but I am worried since the last episode will have 1 hour so they could "compress" all that in 3 episodes and end the series there. I don't want but it is a possibility.

Sep 8, 2017 1:33 PM
Jul 2018
DUDE.

DUDE.

I felt fucking sick watching this episode... Man it made me cringe so hard but this is actually a surprise at the same time x_x Damn it.

So we pretty much got to the darker side of the Abyss... which is pretty interesting and I really like the atmosphere as well. Though, things are. Fucking brutal man.

If this keeps up with the series I am really considering in making it a favorite show of mine. Because HOLY fuck I love this atmosphere.
Sep 8, 2017 1:36 PM

Mar 2016
Damn that Riko part was hard to watch.....

Nice episode tho

Sep 8, 2017 1:38 PM

Sep 2012
I was kinda surprised that there was almost no censorship compared to manga. Good stuff :D Spiky-monster-thingy encounter wasn't as intense but still - nicely adapted
Sep 8, 2017 1:49 PM

Feb 2016
omg, They weren't lying about the abyss creatures being more harmful than those of Dark Souls series, this poison one and one that can predict your actions... that would easily end in me like this:

That Aside, what an incredible episode!, so hard to watch, so sad for Reg, so Sad for Riko, what a suffering! 10/10 to that VA!
CrimsonWandererSep 8, 2017 1:53 PM
"We could make the world better, but it's easier to just shut our eyes."
~Blackwall
Sep 8, 2017 2:31 PM
Oct 2015
Pipe said:
At this pace the adaptation will need a second season. Nanachi is here finally!!!

The manga is not too much farther ahead then this arc (Chapter 42). They will have to allow for some time to pass before making a second season.
Sep 8, 2017 2:34 PM
Oct 2015
Lithianic said:
When was the last time an anime scene left a scar in my heart?

The episodes just keep gettin better. Anime of the Season.
This was already anime of the season (possibly the year as well) as soon as the 1st episode aired.
Sep 8, 2017 2:40 PM
Review Moderator
Jan 2017
Karmafan56 said:
Pipe said:

The manga is not too much farther ahead then this arc (Chapter 42). They will have to allow for some time to pass before making a second season.

I know, but do you think that they will arrive at the fight on the 5th layer??, I don't believe. With only three more episodes we need to think what they are going to cover, one Reg's dream and Rico's recovery, one Nanachi's story and 5th background and the last (1 hour) the rest of the 5th layer? Not sure. If we compare all the pacing so far, it is medium, so it is possible that the last episode won't cover the whole events of the 5th layer.

Sep 8, 2017 3:07 PM

Nov 2016
Made in Abyss is too fucking much. Too dark, too twisted, too good.
Those screams of pain and those cries, that's some of the best voice acting I've heard in my life. That must hurt so much. I can't.
Best anime of the season, no doubt about it. 10/10.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 8, 2017 3:45 PM
Jun 2011
Pipe said:
Iconic said:
At this rate I am hoping for a second season. There's still several episodes worth of material before they even get to the Fifth Layer that I think they would have to rush things a bit just to get to the elevator.

Regu and Nanachi spend a lot of time in the Fourth Layer while Riko recovers and we learn about the true nature of the curses... among other things. Nanachi and Mitty's backstory alone is worth an entire episode. They could also expand on Pushka's backstory like they did with the Third Layer since it was sort of blown through with all the shocking revelations and moments that happen in the Fifth Layer.

Yes, but I am worried since the last episode will have 1 hour so they could "compress" all that in 3 episodes and end the series there. I don't want but it is a possibility.
well like we all know we cant get all the things we want to watch animated without little rush. but even so they did great job in the anime
Sep 8, 2017 3:47 PM
Jun 2011
Pipe said:
Karmafan56 said:

I know, but do you think that they will arrive at the fight on the 5th layer??, I don't believe. With only three more episodes we need to think what they are going to cover, one Reg's dream and Rico's recovery, one Nanachi's story and 5th background and the last (1 hour) the rest of the 5th layer? Not sure. If we compare all the pacing so far, it is medium, so it is possible that the last episode won't cover the whole events of the 5th layer.
well we cant get all in 3 episodes so lets wait and see what they are planing
Sep 8, 2017 3:50 PM

Apr 2012
damn that was nuts

i started to cry because it was so hard to watch while she was screaming in agony ;-;

but damn is this show good
zzzeallySep 8, 2017 3:53 PM

Sep 8, 2017 3:57 PM
Sep 2016
my kokoro cant stand this type of episodes..too intense
Sep 8, 2017 3:58 PM

Apr 2013
Poison, hallucination, blood, pain, EDGE !

AOTS!!!

You fucking kidding me ? -_-

Sep 8, 2017 4:03 PM

Feb 2014
I've seen a lot of anime and I don't think I've ever sat through something that made me so squirmish. Solid ep

Sep 8, 2017 4:19 PM
Jun 2017
i cried.... i was suffering with this episode, this is an amazing anime....
Sep 8, 2017 4:21 PM

Mar 2012
Intense episode even though I knew in advance what was coming...
Sep 8, 2017 4:22 PM

Apr 2013
Holy s**t, I never read the manga so seeing this happen... I was seriously shook, I felt Riko's and Reg's pain throughout this episode, my stomach turned as she suffered... This is the true dangers of the abyss, descending further into the darkness... jesus christ, this has been established as a series that I have fully invested myself with

Ascended Taste
I only came back to this site for the forum sets and to promote my RYM list... Anilist ftw still :dab:
Sep 8, 2017 4:29 PM

Aug 2013
I must be the only one who thinks this was not as dark as I was expecting. Like it was dark, especially if you remember that this is involving kids, and of course the suffering made you feel the darkness but...maybe I'm just a sadist inside or something, it just wasn't like mega darkness mode to where it was hard for me to watch. The only thing that kinda pissed me off was the fact that Reg was in the midst of chopping Riko's arm off and legit stopped midway through then Nanachi shows up and it's like...okay are we going to seriously ignore the fact that Riko's arm is halfway hanging off right now? Yeah just splint it, we'll fix it next ep to the best it can be fixed. Like...why didn't Nanachi show up before Reg started cutting off her arm? Or rather, why didn't Reg chop it off completely before Nanachi showed up? That's kinda my only issue with this episode but other than that, it was phenomenal.
Don't believe the hype.
Sep 8, 2017 4:45 PM

Apr 2009
well... big mistake for watching this while eating breakfast. made the food taste like it has more iron.
Sep 8, 2017 4:53 PM

Oct 2011
I really liked Nanachi's voice - it felt very fitting to the character.

And I really liked this episode. Visuals were awesome as always and I'm glad they didn't soften it up.

It was kind of weird they used Hollow instead of Narehate but I think something similar did happen in manga.

As in next episode we'll get Mitty and I would love if this series ended with
Sep 8, 2017 5:10 PM

Mar 2011
Damn, I cried, in manga I cried but in anime, hearing those screams... Riko and Reg's VA are doing an excellent job.
Sep 8, 2017 5:20 PM

Apr 2016
Honestly, I can't handle something like this, but I can't stop to keep watching
flamecerberusJan 21, 2018 10:54 AM
Sep 8, 2017 5:30 PM
Apr 2013
whAT tHE HEcK I wasn't prepared for this level of suffering!!!
Sep 8, 2017 5:36 PM

Mar 2009
Zantius said:
I must be the only one who thinks this was not as dark as I was expecting. Like it was dark, especially if you remember that this is involving kids, and of course the suffering made you feel the darkness but...maybe I'm just a sadist inside or something, it just wasn't like mega darkness mode to where it was hard for me to watch. The only thing that kinda pissed me off was the fact that Reg was in the midst of chopping Riko's arm off and legit stopped midway through then Nanachi shows up and it's like...okay are we going to seriously ignore the fact that Riko's arm is halfway hanging off right now? Yeah just splint it, we'll fix it next ep to the best it can be fixed. Like...why didn't Nanachi show up before Reg started cutting off her arm? Or rather, why didn't Reg chop it off completely before Nanachi showed up? That's kinda my only issue with this episode but other than that, it was phenomenal.

Nah. You're not alone. This series has always been dark, so I was prepared for something like this. Not sure why people are calling this a tone shift, to be honest.

Still, brutal episode. They're so lucky Nanachi was there to save them.
Sep 8, 2017 5:44 PM

Apr 2013
Zantius said:

... Because Reg botched it. He fucked up amputating her arm. He ended up breaking it instead causing her a massive amount of pain.
おれはPigAmericanです
おれはばか

i am average american man i enjoy
bad game runescape
Sep 8, 2017 5:55 PM

Jun 2016
Too short! I was on the edge of my seat hoping that they'd find some way to save Riko and her hand. I don't like seeing Reg crying and the blood was... :(

I know it gets much worse, but I need these two to survive and be happy.

But it was still too short. Just when things get good it stops.
°˖✧◝(⁰▿⁰)◜✧˖°
Sep 8, 2017 6:09 PM
Jun 2016
Latest BEST episode always had BEST girl in it! Nyyyaaaaaaaaaaa!
Sep 8, 2017 6:09 PM

Jan 2014
I didn't expect the show to get so... dark. The characters are too cutesy.

Three things cannot be long hidden..
...the s u n, the m oo n, and the tr u th.

Sep 8, 2017 6:31 PM

Jun 2014
Jesus christ, that was disturbing! If there weren't only 3 episodes left, I'd drop this right now, as I don't like Anime with stuff like this in it.

I'll finish watching it, but the "content" of this episode will negatively impact how I score this Anime in the end.

Sep 8, 2017 6:32 PM
Jun 2017
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
Sep 8, 2017 6:32 PM

Dec 2016
Seiya said:
Jesus christ, that was disturbing! If there weren't only 3 episodes left, I'd drop this right now, as I don't like Anime with stuff like this in it.

I'll finish watching it, but the "content" of this episode will negatively impact how I score this Anime in the end.

lol, so why you watch this in the first place? haven't done your research?
Sep 8, 2017 6:36 PM

Jun 2014
HiddenArmy said:
Seiya said:

No, I don't read Manga, but many times, an Anime adaptation of something is usually "toned down" compared to the original source.

I wanted to not watch this series the second I saw the "seinen" tag, but I decided to give it a shot anyway, and part of me regrets it.

Sep 8, 2017 6:36 PM

Oct 2016
..and I was eating something while watching it. I certainly lost my appetite there.

Good episode, still. I didn't expect the slight gore.

I was nothing until the moment I met you.

Sep 8, 2017 6:37 PM

Apr 2013
HiddenArmy said:
Seiya said:

I can understand why but the overall tone of the series affecting your personal overall score for it? Seriously mate? Did you think that this story was gonna be light hearted? No, the Abyss should tell you that, you might as well drop it for as they descend further down into the abyss the horror gets worst. oh btw this is directed @Seiya, I'm sorry if I may come off as rude but your reasoning for the content of this episode negatively affecting your score for this series is immature, sure I understand that the Anime not toning down the extreme content in this episode was a bit shocking to you but come on, this series isn't for the faint of heart, if you can't take this, drop it.
Aidoru-OjisanSep 8, 2017 6:44 PM

Ascended Taste
I only came back to this site for the forum sets and to promote my RYM list... Anilist ftw still :dab:
Sep 8, 2017 6:44 PM

Dec 2016
That was....intense. Good but intense. I felt slightly nauseous during the episode.
Sep 8, 2017 6:49 PM

Jun 2014
Aidoru-Ojisan said:
HiddenArmy said:

I can understand why but the overall tone of the series affecting your personal overall score for it? Seriously mate? Did you think that this story was gonna be light hearted? No, the Abyss should tell you that, you might as well drop it for as they descend further down into the abyss the horror gets worst. oh btw this is directed @Seiya, I'm sorry if I may come off as rude but your reasoning for the content of this episode negatively affecting your score for this series is immature, sure I understand that the Anime not toning down the extreme content in this episode was a bit shocking to you but come on, this series isn't for the faint of heart, if you can't take this, drop it.

Lol. "Mate?" Like I'm going to listen to someone from the UK.

Pages (13) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Made in Abyss Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 29, 2017

771 by Frexitor »»
Jun 1, 12:46 PM

Poll: » Made in Abyss Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jul 21, 2017

202 by karut-kun »»
May 8, 4:28 AM

Poll: » Made in Abyss Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jul 14, 2017

236 by karut-kun »»
May 8, 3:52 AM

Poll: » Made in Abyss Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 7, 2017

352 by karut-kun »»
May 8, 3:23 AM

Poll: » Made in Abyss Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Aug 18, 2017

194 by RebornVongola1 »»
May 6, 8:07 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.