Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Scum's Wish
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (9) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Mar 31, 2017 5:35 AM

Sep 2011
Eh... that's the ending...? To be honest I'm disappointed as I was expecting a better ending. Oh well.

Mar 31, 2017 5:42 AM

Jan 2009
This show is very different to most other romance/drama type of stories, and consequently, in order to judge it fairly, it needs to be considered differently from the run-of-the-mill standard.

Its overarching premise is "Unrequited love". People fall in love with others, but their feelings are not reciprocated. We see the characters hope and despair, persevere and suffer, try and fail. This is no string of happy occasions, where justice wins, villains lose and the story ends in celebration. If you watch the show, be aware of that and be ready for an _ordeal_. This is no light entertainment, this is a masochistic marathon leaving you drained.

For those however, who are willing to invest the time and are not scared of emotional bruises, this show is a total treat. The direction and technical execution is fantastic, the soundtrack exceptional, the art very nice and the storytelling exemplary. Romance drama is usually a string of corny, cliche-ridden scenes which follows a predictable path. Kuzu no Honkai is anything but. Once the introduction of all characters is completed around episode 6, I daresay that no single unspoiled viewer would be able to predict how the show was going to end.

I always want to add that viewers who already had own life experiences with unrequited romances will be able to connect much better with the show's characters. Myself, I could see traces of three characters in me. Those people who criticized the show the most had no experiences of their own to gauge the show's characters against.

So, if you are primarily looking for a story with typical characters going through the romance/drama motions in the typical drama arc hoping for the typical happy ending, Kuzu no Honkai does not only not deliver, it betrays these expectations. If on the other hand you want to see a character study of various forms of unrequited love, what people think, and why they do what they do, as ugly as it may be, this show will be a fantastic experience. Very instructive, very touching at times, and extremely unusual.

Coming with my highest recommendations.

9/10
Mar 31, 2017 5:55 AM

Oct 2013
Fai said:
Their behavior thus threatens to engulf all those around them and most likely will lead to lots of people being hurt with lives destroyed.

"Lives being destroyed" because of someone cheating on them is pushing it. Akane never went that far even. All her relationships seemed to be shot-term ~ goes out with a guy that's desired by another woman, have sex a few times, dump him(or get dumped), go next. It would take a VERY emotionally unstable person to receive long lasting damage from something like that, and those people would need to address that problem before even considering a relationship anyway.

As for the teenagers in the series, everything mattered a lot to them, since they're not experienced and a good part of 'em are led by hormones. They'll make a big deal outta all of it, while it won't seem that much for us, nor will it for them after a few years or once they get over it ~ most will look back & be like "oh man, I made such a big deal outta all that." But if we try to look at it from their PoV, in the present, a lot did happen and they have to accept it & try to move on, which will be easier for some & harder for others.

Mar 31, 2017 5:57 AM

Sep 2016
Loved this series and the way it ended. The message it sent was also very nice.

They both recognize that they couldn't get to be love by the people they sought. So they accepted it and moved on.

They also decided to end their relation and seek true love their separate way.
CernesnoirsDec 16, 2017 9:44 AM
Mar 31, 2017 6:28 AM

Apr 2009
Sassy_save said:
Seta19 said:
7/10 ..Oh well. Onto the next season.

Mate , the manga's over , the anime adapted the whole thing .

I wasn't referring to another season of this anime. I literally meant onto the next season (spring 2017)
Mar 31, 2017 6:37 AM

Jul 2009
This series started making me suffer so much in the first 5 episode, that I used to avoid watching it, but then it started to get good. I am so glad Hanabi didn't end up with Mugi, it would have been forced, I am also glad Moka and Ecchan moved on, both were the best thing in this series. I am also happy for Akane, for changing bit by bit...and last, I am happy for Hanabi, being alone and discover herself was the best choice, I am glad she didn't turn a bi*ch like Akane was...

7/10
Mar 31, 2017 6:39 AM

Sep 2014
Never loved an ending for a romance show this much ever since Paradise Kiss. Love this show to bits, especially Hanabi.

10/10
Mar 31, 2017 7:08 AM

Nov 2016
The end was very fitting and satisfying.
I'm glad that Hanabi and Mugi didn't end up as a pair, it would have made their whole development meaningless. Love is rarely fulfilling that is the harsh reality. But instead of filling the resulting void with physical contact it's better to accept the fact that replied love is hard to find. A relationship between the two of them would have only taken the chance to find real happiness.

Overall this anime was refreshing and definitely my fav of this season. It had realistic characters with understandable motives and desires. Visuals and Osts created a nice atmosphere.

9/10.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Mar 31, 2017 7:26 AM
Mar 2015
One from the best animes I've ever watched, well made story with such good animation and characters. There's nothing I wasn't satisfied with - just amazing from beginning to the end. 10/10 or even more.

Would like to see more of this, like what happened to Hanabi/Mugi later on and Ecchan for example.

gg!
Mar 31, 2017 7:43 AM
Nov 2016
KnH seems so divisive here. But this is my anime of the season and the best anime in this genre that I have seen period.

To begin, it's just beautiful. The direction, the character designs, the colors, the mood setting. The scenes. The voice acting. The amazing music score.

It does so many things that are not typical of romance anime.

The characters are smart. Someone may interject to point foolish or what they see as foolish, irrational, emotion driven, decisions. But that's not really the point. These characters are not oblivious. They analyze others and themselves with sophistication and depth. They are not prone to stupid misunderstandings. The stupid decisions they do make are human.

The series' portrayal of sexuality is mature. No, it's not mature because, "lulz they are really doing it". But because it serves the story and character development, it has meaning and motivation. No one randomly falls face first into cleavage and then has a massive freak out.

This show was sold to me as a NTR misery parade where everyone is scummy and suffering. I wasn't sure I even wanted to watch it. And it was that but it was also full of people learning and growing, painful relationships being resolved, hope being restored. It subverted expectations in how the series was able to switch tone (some people I've seen even feel betrayed by that).

Not just the mains but minor characters as well grew and became whole again after their respective emotional roller-coasters. Moca and Ecchan are moving on. There is even -- strange and mysterious as love can be with underlying weirdness -- but nevertheless Big somewhat fairytale love... which in a pleasant (in my opinion) twist is reserved for the series' antagonist, who is healed as opposed to being torn down by cosmic karma.

In the end everyone got what they needed. Hanabi and Mugi did not end up together but they were not left at their lowest wallowing in their misery as the series could have done. They've found peace and grew as people, they still have everything ahead of them. The boys are already lining up for Hanabi. Their history, especially how far Mugi's crushing love for Akane went, made it hard for them to be together now.

Akane. From the voice acting to design they did a great job on her. She remained an enticing presence even at her worst behavior, hard balance to strike. She was cruel and manipulative because she was empty and fragile, as is the title of one of the episodes, trying to fill the void of her unhappiness by trying to take the happiness of others for herself. Making others miserable to make herself feel better. That does not justify her actions but it explains them. She was already suffering. Akane got to feel the love she never could and a chance to step onto a different path.

Oniichan wasn't so well explored. Maybe it's the point that he wasn't meant to be understood completely because it doesn't matter. He got the girl. You can be cynical about their relationship, or you could say Akane is potentially someone with a lot to give precisely because of her dramatic story. Love is love, and if it makes things better or someone better maybe it's not as undeserved as some would say.
fedosMar 31, 2017 7:49 AM
Mar 31, 2017 8:06 AM

Sep 2016
Patodesu said:
"I don't want to be apart"
"I don't want to let go anymore"
???

Ikr - I don't understand why they did that sort of ending for the series. Especially when they went through so much together (romantically but also situation-vise). But nah. The entire relationship which got hyped up and teased went all in the drain just from the ending..

It's like: "We learned our lesson to not be scrum, but let's not get together because 'our love' is not considered 'true love'."

O.k.

Except that, it gets a 7/10 from me.

Mar 31, 2017 8:18 AM

Apr 2014
Damn it! I didn't know the manga had already ended!
So this is a full adaptation huh? And they didn't end up together!!!
Well, never mind. I'll just give this anime a 7 out of 10 score overall.
Haters always gonna hate.
Mar 31, 2017 8:28 AM

Jul 2016
The episode felt so slow and long. A heartwarning ending with a somber tone played. This concludes how in the very end they became a better person after making their mistake. The very remarkable part of the episode to me was when Mugi and Hanabi comforted each other not with with physical contact but with words. Overall the show was impressive for me.
Mar 31, 2017 9:29 AM

Mar 2014
This was definitely a breath of fresh air.

I like how it tackled the subjects of unrequited love and sex in a somewhat mature way since we don't get to see that in anime very often.

Sadly, I don't think it's going to do well in Japan since it doesn't feature any idol lolis (technically I suppose Moka could count as a loli but even then she's not your typical loli) but you never know, it might end up selling well.

8/10
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Mar 31, 2017 9:32 AM

Feb 2015
I'm kinda satisfied with the ending. Glad that Hanabi didn't turn into trash like Akane.

The mutual agreement between Hanabi and Mugi felt like a breath of fresh air. :p
Mar 31, 2017 9:39 AM

Nov 2009
It was a good series, even though the ending with the two leads not ending up together wasn't stellar, especially with the biggest bitch and slut Akane getting a happy ending. Oh well, 8/10 just for the series being significantly different from your usual romance and the feels ride it provided.
ったく、嫌な世の中だよ。
Mar 31, 2017 9:45 AM

Aug 2013
Kuzu no Honkai was a very unique series. Like the polar opposite of the vibe your usual romance anime gives. The ending was very fitting, it was somber, but it did make sense to me. It did make me get really emotional tho. One of those anime that I'll always remember. 8.5/10.
Would love to see more realistic/pessimistic anime like this!

waifu4laifu.
Mar 31, 2017 9:47 AM

Feb 2011
So... when's the wedding?
Give me at least 5 minutes to modify my post before quoting me. (refreshing page advised)
Mar 31, 2017 9:53 AM

Dec 2015
Pretty boring. One of the worse anime this season. (Even average-only stuff like Akiba's Trip and Chain Chronicle were better.) Not much happened and we didn't even get some real romance ending between Hanabi and Mugi and the romance between Kanai and Akane was too sudden.

This wasn't really worth watching.

Gong with 6/10. (Same as Masamune-kun no Revenge and Seiren.)
Ending/Opening were nice and the char design beautiful. But that wasn't enough.

All 3 romance anime this season (the ones I watched) lacked. Too bad. ...
LuthandoriusMar 31, 2017 9:57 AM
Mar 31, 2017 10:10 AM
Jul 2018
i like how now Kuzu no Honkai Reviews full of 5-6

where the positive review man?
Mar 31, 2017 10:22 AM

Aug 2016
The OST was amazing, the art looked great, loved the way of storytelling. This anime was really good! 8/10!
Nanika ga Okashii
Mar 31, 2017 10:27 AM

Dec 2012
damn ecchan,smoking hot with that haircut

soo,the anticipated sex didn't happen :(
Mar 31, 2017 10:38 AM

Oct 2012
Just watched episode 12 andddd honestly I'm a bit let down...

I feel we saw much less Hanabi in the last few eps and this 'finale' comes as a weird mesh of tones. There were some really good moments that were somewhat cute and powerful but could have been better without any dialogue like the scene when she say's they talked without touching themselves.

Still, the series is very good. Maybe a 7.5/10.
Mar 31, 2017 10:40 AM

Jan 2012
I know Mugi and Hana weren't meant to be, but my heart sank when they said goodbye...

I grew so attached to these characters in just twelve episodes, and loved how it explored their weaknesses and inner thoughts. Though I wish Moka's personality was explored more because I liked her a lot, but didn't grow attached to her.

I'm happy for Akane and Narumi, even though I hated Akane at first, and I'm sure she won't cheat because of how pure hearted Narumi is.

I hope Mugi and and Hana are able to find someone they truly love.

Honestly my favorite series this season that struck too close to home at times and made me feel immersed in most of the character. Also one of the most realistic and unique romance anime series.

9/10

The title for this series was perfect imo.

penguindrum264Mar 31, 2017 10:47 AM
Mar 31, 2017 11:01 AM

Jul 2007
ManlyTear said:

"Lives being destroyed" because of someone cheating on them is pushing it. Akane never went that far even. All her relationships seemed to be shot-term ~ goes out with a guy that's desired by another woman, have sex a few times, dump him(or get dumped), go next. It would take a VERY emotionally unstable person to receive long lasting damage from something like that, and those people would need to address that problem before even considering a relationship anyway.

The thing is - all of them WERE VERY EMOTIONALLY UNSTABLE. And then they just kind of became fine in span of two episodes or so?

Also no, toxic relationships and overall relationship drama can be very deadly. IT breeds a lot of irrationality and psychological stress.

s for the teenagers in the series, everything mattered a lot to them, since they're not experienced and a good part of 'em are led by hormones. They'll make a big deal outta all of it, while it won't seem that much for us, nor will it for them after a few years or once they get over it ~ most will look back & be like "oh man, I made such a big deal outta all that." But if we try to look at it from their PoV, in the present, a lot did happen and they have to accept it & try to move on, which will be easier for some & harder for others.

That's nice theme and all but once you apply it to a show the idea of "the show makes a big deal out of things and then goes completely anticlimatic with it" is not the best of ideas.

Mugi and Hanabi not being together was a given - I doubt they ever loved each other(or their crushes) and severing that toxic pairing is a must if they want to grow up. But everyone, including then and even main villain got off scoff free without doing anything they can't return from. It completely clashes with melodramatic tone of the show and the selfish entitles personalities of entirety of the cast. The show kept teasing and teasing the timebomb that is the is complicated web of toxic relationships exploding, but it never went beyond the tamest soap opera. Nobody did anything they regret and there's no real consequences for anyone involved, which kind of clashes with the show's narrative?

Nocturn3 said:

Most people were expecting a shallow ending where they would basically have sex and stay together, yet they understood the true nature of their relationship and what they really wanted. We also had somewhat of a little twist in Akane´s character I guess.

Well personally if these two were to actually get together in last episode this would go straight to 1/10 rating. The fact that the author did not throw them together was the saving grace of this.

The problem is that nothing kind of happened? The show teased and teased about this melodramatic points of no return and consequences and stuff, but then nothing really happened?

Like, I EXPECTED Mugi and Hanabi to not continue their relationship, but I expected a more bleaker and realistic ending. Its too neat of an ending. Nobody suffered any consequences, nobody did anything they can't take back, everyone even "the villain" got through just fine. The ending felt abrupt and too light-hearted. The show flirted with the idea of toxic relationships and toxic behavior and...never really actually explored it beyond characters being tempted for that?
Mar 31, 2017 11:04 AM

Mar 2013
Don't know about others I enjoyed the anime. Be it drama, visuals, OST, jealousy, self-loathing and even lust haha. Sure it may come as off pretentious with pretentious dialogues and roundabout ways but if you look overall, it was a nice seasonal watch. And Loads better than Masashit anime.

Finale was good. I enjoyed the ambiance of it. Granted I was bit salty about the ending since author tried to do another "deep" stuff. Never shipped them since from the beginning of the show but I was just hoping for them to get back together in the end. But yeah it was a good realistic end nonetheless.

7/10
Mar 31, 2017 11:20 AM

Jan 2009
Fai said:
Like, I EXPECTED Mugi and Hanabi to not continue their relationship, but I expected a more bleaker and realistic ending.

Oh? What would have been a "more realistic ending"? The ending _is_ realistic in that their relationship failed, they learned from it and moved on. Which is exactly what normal people in their situation would realistically do.

Its too neat of an ending. Nobody suffered any consequences, nobody did anything they can't take back, everyone even "the villain" got through just fine. The ending felt abrupt and too light-hearted.

I think you have some misconceptions of what this show was about. This is no School Days, so you'll have to do without the nice boat. It was a character study showing different types of unrequited loves. They desire, they don't get, they try and fight, they fail, they cry and they move on. That's the normal, realistic cycle for unrequited loves.

The show flirted with the idea of toxic relationships and toxic behavior and...never really actually explored it beyond characters being tempted for that?

Not "toxic". Unrequited. That's the important difference.

I am actually very glad that the show did NOT go down the simple shock routes which can be found elsewhere. It explored EXACTLY what unrequited loves are based on, what the motivations of the characters are to do (or not to do) what they do, and why their efforts failed.

The side which "worked" was the totally unconditional and blind love. Because it works by default. The rest found their normal, realistic endings.
Mar 31, 2017 12:10 PM
Jun 2013
Kind of disappointing they didn't get together after the promise they shared. I guess this ending was the most fitting. Though I guess I could argue that they could have worked out too...

More surprising is the themes in this anime. Usually manga or LN's with unrequited love as a central hook never gets adapted. I assume thats just because lots of people can feel uncomfortable watching those scenarios play out.

Would have preferred a GE Good Ending or Onanie Master Kurosawa adaptation though... but this was still pretty good.

7.5/10
Mar 31, 2017 12:24 PM
Jan 2017
Finally understood the ending song...
Mar 31, 2017 12:34 PM

May 2008
Good. I'm glad they didn't end up together. The series would have been ruined if that happened.

...and Mugi is a piece of garbage anyway. Hanabi wasn't any better but better than him tbh and she deserves better than his trashy ass.

Mar 31, 2017 12:38 PM
Jun 2016
Finally, Mugi and Hanabi didn't end up together.... It doesn't make me sad but I guess it was a pretty good ending. They realized that they needed something real and not look for people to not be alone T_T both changed because of their mistakes
Mar 31, 2017 12:46 PM

Sep 2013
pao13071 said:
Idk how to feel about this one...It would make sense if they didn't end up in the ending but they fucking connected man. For once they communicated through words and there was mutual understanding , no sexual impulses involved for once. Plus it teased you a shit ton with wtf the ending will be , is he waiting for her or someone else? God idk it felt weird and rushed. Also those last words * -I don't want to--
-be apart.
-I don't want to let go anymore
-I want to hold you.
-I don't want things to end
-Don't let me go.
-I don't want it to end.
-But goodbye.
It stung pretty hard and it took a while to go away.*
Why throw all that away?
I feel everybody is blinded by the fact it wasn't a cliche ending...
Characters falling out of character and an ending that makes no sense...Why bond and connect in the end just to blow it off and walk away from it? It didn't feel or seem romantic just non-sensical

8/10 for me sadly :/

Same here, Don't know why they 'broke up' when their monologue so clearly pleading to hold each other. Well i personally didn't liked their pairing, but internally reciprocating feelings, but not heeding it in search for some other 'real love' sounded non-sense and was inseted just to give a feel of 'different than the rest' appeal.
Mar 31, 2017 1:02 PM

May 2016
Alas. I have to say, as sad as the ending is.. the way how they portrayed the messages through narration was.... deeeeep

It's sad, but it felt satisfying. This show really makes you down but if you look from a different perspective, the hidden messages they tried to portray is just brilliant. Basically, what they're trying to say is you shouldn't be together just because you're lonely - physical relationship won't last long once the sparks goes out - hence they made the right choice to keep searching for their own definition of 'real love'

Also, the art in this anime is god-tier! and Moca is my favorite characters out of many.

Hope we'll have more shows like this in the future! God-like art, mesmerising soundtrack and awesome plot. Just, please make sure it's a happier show in the future :)
GokuNazzMar 31, 2017 1:06 PM
Mar 31, 2017 1:40 PM

May 2012
Well this sure was a completely different than what I first expected from this anime, I feared it would be something like School Days all over again, but in the end this anime actually took me by surprise.

The overall relations and connections of all the characters involved was quite lovely, and with an ending like this, it sure made the whole anime and story progression to a good ending I must say.

Harsh reality can sometimes be quite interesting and beautiful! Another life lesson well deserved and learned!
Mar 31, 2017 2:18 PM
Mar 2016
* Lesbian Haircut - check
* Villain redeemed through the power of love - check
* Main character shows growth by being nice to a dude to contrast how she was a jerk to a different dude in the first episode - check
* Main character has a life-changing epiphany - check
* Story ends with a sunny dusk to contrast with the rainy/stormy start - check

All in all this anime was pretty tame. When manga readers we're like "omg, you guise, you won't believe what crazy shyte happens next" during the first two or three episodes I really thought this was going to turn ugly and we'd have at least one stabbing. Decent show, nonetheless.
JorvikMar 31, 2017 2:24 PM
Mar 31, 2017 2:21 PM

Oct 2016
This film ending is very satisfying to me, I mean very satisfying. The series also gives me that feeling. Many think it's a sad ending but I don't think so. I had this situation in my life too ( I like a boy and a girl, both them are my best friends. We've been through this and end up being close friends again (one of them I still talk a lot to, but the other, we start talking less and less)

"The person you love cannot always be the person you married."

Sometimes, pain has its own beauty
Mar 31, 2017 2:22 PM

Aug 2016
Good god this didn't disappoint.
I just love how they go through each character and gives them their own ending in a way.
I support Hanabi and Mugi not ending together. Of course I would have liked it if it happened but this just felt so fitting. They both end this circle and tries to start over, I love it!
Kuzu no honkai must be one of the most visually appealing animes I've watched. Every second looks absolutely stunning!
Even though I love this show I say nope to a season 2, this ending was perfect in my op and there is no need for more
I teared up just to be honest.

I was debating on a 9/10 but I actually couldn't resist giving it a 10/10. Every show has it's downsides but dear god just take one look at it and tell me with a straight face that this show isn't emotionally and visually beautiful in one way or another.
ShiemihazaMar 31, 2017 2:47 PM
Mar 31, 2017 2:29 PM

Oct 2016
Filixious said:
I just love how they go through each character and gives them their own ending in a way.
I support Hanabi and Mugi not ending together. Of course I would have liked it if it happened but this just felt so fitting. They both end this circle and tries to start over, I love it!
Kuzu no honkai must be one of the most visually appealing animes I've watched. Every second looks absolutely stunning!
Even though I love this show I say nope to a season 2, this ending was perfect in my op and there is no need for more

I was debating on a 9/10 but I actually couldn't resist giving it a 10/10. I know it had it's downsides but dear god just take one look at it and tell me with a straight face that this show isn't emotionally and visually beautiful in one way or another.

Oh my, I have the same thought too. It's like I've been waiting for such a long time for another deep-story TV series as this (like movie 5cm/s, Garden of Words,...).
Mar 31, 2017 2:55 PM

Aug 2016
BattleVirgoTiger said:
Filixious said:

I was debating on a 9/10 but I actually couldn't resist giving it a 10/10. I know it had it's downsides but dear god just take one look at it and tell me with a straight face that this show isn't emotionally and visually beautiful in one way or another.

Oh my, I have the same thought too. It's like I've been waiting for such a long time for another deep-story TV series as this (like movie 5cm/s, Garden of Words,...).

Yeah me too!
It wasn't like that usual they end up together in the last episode and live happily forever after type of show (Not saying that kind of show must necessarily be bad tho) It felt real. After all, most relationships in high school doesn't last forever. I hope they both find someone special someday.
Mar 31, 2017 3:08 PM

Feb 2014
This show first broke my heart and messed my mind but finally mended it all.
When someone asks me why I like anime, I'd say Just Because.

Mar 31, 2017 3:19 PM
Nov 2016
For me the ending was okay, but the previous episodes were better.

Overall:
7.4/10 - good!
Mar 31, 2017 3:32 PM

Feb 2009
Hanabi took a year to do the maturing Moka did in mere weeks, whew. That's a surprise. Also, Kanai x Akane pairing is whacked out, he is forever cuck'd and I'm hysterical that he's so happy about that.

And I'm glad that they didn't get together in the end. They both realize that they deserve better than being each other's substitutes, they need to be someone's REAL LOVE. So it's a nice way to leave things off I think.

Mar 31, 2017 5:49 PM

Jul 2016
I'm actually quite relived that Hanabi and Mugi didn't end up together. I probably would have fucking raged if they did. Pretty solid ending imo, although there are a bit unanswered questions (naturally) But yeah, been a while since i was so emotionally involved i a show that i was yelling at my screen.

WHY DID ECCHAN CUT HER HAIR!!!! NOOOOOOO
damn, the forums these days...
Mar 31, 2017 6:15 PM

Aug 2010
pao13071 said:
Idk how to feel about this one...It would make sense if they didn't end up in the ending but they fucking connected man. For once they communicated through words and there was mutual understanding , no sexual impulses involved for once. Plus it teased you a shit ton with wtf the ending will be , is he waiting for her or someone else? God idk it felt weird and rushed. Also those last words * -I don't want to--
-be apart.
-I don't want to let go anymore
-I want to hold you.
-I don't want things to end
-Don't let me go.
-I don't want it to end.
-But goodbye.
It stung pretty hard and it took a while to go away.*
Why throw all that away?
I feel everybody is blinded by the fact it wasn't a cliche ending...
Characters falling out of character and an ending that makes no sense...Why bond and connect in the end just to blow it off and walk away from it? It didn't feel or seem romantic just non-sensical

8/10 for me sadly :/
My thoughts exactly. To me it felt like it was there chance to start their relationship with a fresh start. Honestly dislike the route the author took. All of their previous potentional love interests were one sided. This is the first time for Mugi/Hanabi where their feelings were reciprocated. Man... I can rant on this forever.

I would've atleast preferred their final line to be "For now goodbye" instead of just "goodbye".

Overall a 7/10.
Mar 31, 2017 6:39 PM
Oct 2009
Great ending. Everyone has grown in a pretty natural fashion (Minagawa maybe a bit fast, but still) and I like how not everyone gets "matched" which often feels forced or unrealistic.

A solid 8 from me.
Mar 31, 2017 7:49 PM

Jan 2013
It was a decent ending, i had very small hopes that they would end up together but in deep down, i always knew that it wasn't possible, especially after what Mugi did.
It was probably the best ending that they could deliver us, Hanabi learned a few life lessons from this, and i wish her the best with her future.
Mugi never was the best option for her, even that boy that asked her to go out was better than Mugi xD

I won't say that i will miss this because i definitely won't xD But i'm glad that Bi***-sensei stopped being a b*** and found a "life path", but i will miss Hanabi, she became an adult.

8/10
"There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards."

Mar 31, 2017 8:44 PM

Mar 2016
I really love this series. It approach the romance drama genre differently then what I've seen before and I think it was executed well to.

A satisfying ending... I understand why Mugi and Hanabi didn't get together, but like I'm glad they didn't end up together as well because then it would have been a boring cliché ending. I really like how Ecchan cut her hair, I think she a lot better.

Anyway great series... Hanabi stay strong through life. Also during this entire series I thought they were in their last year of highschool, but I guess not!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 31, 2017 9:53 PM

Jan 2011
Honestly I'm pleasantly surprised.

This show tore at me, a vanilla romantic, for a while. Relating it to School Days isn't wrong because that show was so wrong but told such a real world like story that it made it hard to watch. This was like that as well but better done imo. The monologues in this show are very well done. Being an adult and a successful one at that makes watching revelations those depicted in this, again, hard to watch. You just want to say "What you are so focused on means absolutely NOTHING in the grand scheme!!!" I digress.

It's not perfect. It's really not. The transition from tragedy to this conclusion happened a little too quick. More specifically I feel like it just lost track of all other characters except for one and as a result of that change, the rest followed suite in the same time line.

However, this was very entertaining to watch and better yet, it told a really beautiful story in the end. People can indeed change. More specifically it can take just one person to create that life altering shift. While in this story that is a life renewing pro, it is also important to realize that can also be a life ending con.

The art was beautiful. The OST was very well crafted. The scene direction was done very, very well. You got enough from most characters to feel advancement in their dilemma as well as their contribution to MC cast. I feel...satisfied after finishing this because it told a sad story with a realistic conclusion. This wasn't meant to be a home run romance story. It was suppose to tell a story of a group of people and more importantly illustrate the strengths and weaknesses of the human heart and mind. Pretty good job imo despite some morally conflicting events throughout the show.
Mar 31, 2017 10:33 PM

Jul 2013
i noticed something for the first time this episode, and that's how expressive hanabi is as a character. i really noticed it when she was being asked to the wedding. it was refreshing to see a sullen/monotone character given a real personality instead if being stoic 80% of the time and angry the other 20%... she feels like a real person rather than an archetype.

but anyway, my closing thoughts on this show:

very nice animation that stayed consistent for the most part. GREAT soundtrack. really hope they release it on cd so i can buy it. really loved hanabi's and akane's seiyuu's in particular.

i was happy to see mocha one more time. she looked beautiful!

the exchange with akane was nice, too. it's super unlikely i know but i hope we get some kind of ova bonus episode that's like, a year in the future or something? i just want to see their married life haha! see how much he's really changed her... though i fear this would leave room for hanabi and mugi to get together after all, after ''growing'' or whatever... hrgh...

i'm still kind of sad about ecchan, but i'll get onto that in a minute.

finally, the ending.
well, i got what i wanted, mostly. i'm glad she and mugi didn't end up together, and the show handled it really maturely. i'll be honest that hanabi's closing monologue, for me, got a little *too* poetic and was really ripping me out of the moment in terms of realism, but at the very least the core message holds strong. i also like how carefully the show teased us haha, you really didn't know whether they were gonna get together right up until the finishing couple of seconds!

now, as for ecchan, i'm sad that she and hanabi weren't endgame but honestly, what were the odds they were gonna be? canon lesbian paring in a non yuri anime lol? i already knew the cards were stacked against me. i still held a small hope though... well at least they remained good friends.
inb4 someone calls the relationship toxic: they both definitely did some wrongs, some terrible wrongs, but i think the ending showed that they grew past that and hanabi showed a lot of love for ecchan still, even if (it's to be perceived as) platonic. to me it just kind of showed potential for the possibility of them re-entering into a relationship and having it be healthy this time, since they've both outgrown the baggage they had before. (i can appreciate the importance of her being alone, though. since she started the show being that kind of girl who needed someone with her to not feel alone.)
though you could use this reasoning for justifying hanabi x mugi too, as someone else said i honestly feel like she cared for him far more than he cared for her... so them being together would've really rubbed me the wrong way.

overall, great series. i agree the drama got a bit too over the top at times and become less believable, but overall it did a good job of being a mature romance about youth* without it being 'lol fanservice XD'. i've given it an 8/10.

*what i mean by this is, though it's a mature story - not just for the sex, but its more mature themes - this definitely is still shoujo and not josei. and it's proof that shoujo and shounen don't HAVE to be dumbed down just because they're for a younger audience!
fishpunMar 31, 2017 10:39 PM
Mar 31, 2017 11:29 PM

Oct 2008
For me this show aims to be a unique bold kind of romance that is close to real file.
Though it ended not them to be together this is like the trials of first loves wherein "first love never comes true" as per Mugi.
Ecchan short hair also suits her.
Moca wedding dress costume was elegant and she's very beautiful.
This is the first the first time Hanabi & Mugi didn't comfort themselves by physical contact but by words.
Kanai-sensei and slut-Akane wedding is still go and Hanabi accepts it.
Overall this show was very good with a different kind of romance that you will never see in any typical harem/or not shows-out there.
5/5.
8/10.

Pages (9) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kuzu no Honkai Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 11, 2017

436 by Relp1905 »»
May 11, 7:00 PM

Poll: » Kuzu no Honkai Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 16, 2017

250 by AniGreek73 »»
Feb 17, 5:46 PM

» Live Action

JSeanaY - Dec 18, 2023

5 by Asudox »»
Dec 29, 2023 3:14 PM

Poll: » Kuzu no Honkai Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 9, 2017

159 by Sanyuu »»
Dec 22, 2023 10:06 AM

» I want to watch it but I don't want to watch it.

Ronin_Sensei - Sep 13, 2023

48 by Zarutaku »»
Dec 13, 2023 2:23 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.