Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Nov 28, 2016 2:11 AM

Jul 2013
I'm a bit concerned about how FFXV's plot is too similar with Type-0's. I get that both games both belong to the Fabula Nova Crystallis mythos but come on. Powerful empire with advanced technology and machinery invades a kingdom heavily reliant on magic and a crystal with years of war going on between the two until finally there's a peace agreement only the empire betrays them. It's just too similar.

Also the english dub is awesome but I still would've enjoyed it more if there were subtitles.
Nov 29, 2016 12:08 AM

Dec 2012
Pretty good movie. Nyx, and everything Versus related were my favorite parts.

When Sean Bean was announced as Regis, I knew his fate was sealed.

Can't believe Nyx died. He didn't even get to say...Bitch!

The post credits make sense now.

We got to see Lunafrena be strong like Tabata kept forcing down our throats.

Luna: My life is in your hands.

Me: lol

Not even a special thanks to Tetsuya Nomura. smh Tetsuya Fujimura got thanked. lol What a troll.
RobNov 29, 2016 12:13 AM
If you see that my post is exactly 1 month old (or more) from when it was posted... Don't waste your time, especially when you want to reply with something petty & insignificant. Assume that I've moved on (because I have).
Nov 29, 2016 12:33 AM

Apr 2012
Crowe ;_; ................
Nov 29, 2016 11:37 AM

Jan 2013
*Watching English dubbed

Poor Crowe :(
Dang Lunafreya isn't just some "I dont wanna get my hands dirty" kinda princess ... she just jumps onto ships, then even trying to fly a ship ^^

King Regis .... you were amazing Sean bean :(

Damn dude, the entire final fight scene between Drautos and Nyx, what a joy to behold.
Nyx was truly a great man.

I just had to watch it in English dub with the amazing actors that were behind it; Aaron Paul, Sean Bean and Lena Headey.

Despite having barely touched any of the FF games and only having seen the Final Fantasy films this film just like Advent Children was such a pleasure to look at.

10/10 since I'm feeling generous and REALLY enjoyed this film.
Dec 2, 2016 2:02 AM

Jul 2007
PrimeX said:
I'm a bit concerned about how FFXV's plot is too similar with Type-0's. I get that both games both belong to the Fabula Nova Crystallis mythos but come on. Powerful empire with advanced technology and machinery invades a kingdom heavily reliant on magic and a crystal with years of war going on between the two until finally there's a peace agreement only the empire betrays them. It's just too similar.

Also the english dub is awesome but I still would've enjoyed it more if there were subtitles.

Similiar? Are you kidding me? We havn't seen a plot like this since the FF VI days or Type 0. Let the fans enjoy this wonderful spectacle. I am just happy that tabata has seriously considered staying true to the conventional formula of what it means to tell a final fantasy story with an interesting antagonist, a deep complex interwoven universe and actually characters you actually give a damn about, despite the fact that all FF games have always been cliche in general, but hey a little "cheese" is some times welcome. I think most developers have forgetten what a FF story is. I don't even want to remember that clusterfuck of madness that was the XIII trilogy.

Try and compare that to this and you will see that we have not seen a FF experience like this in near a decade.

Dec 2, 2016 2:16 AM

Jul 2013
link9us said:
PrimeX said:

Similiar? Are you kidding me? We havn't seen a plot like this since the FF VI days or Type 0. Let the fans enjoy this wonderful spectacle. I am just happy that tabata has seriously considered staying true to the conventional formula of what it means to tell a final fantasy story with an interesting antagonist, a deep complex interwoven universe and actually characters you actually give a damn about, despite the fact that all FF games have always been cliche in general, but hey a little "cheese" is some times welcome. I think most developers have forgetten what a FF story is. I don't even want to remember that clusterfuck of madness that was the XIII trilogy.

Try and compare that to this and you will see that we have not seen a FF experience like this in near a decade.
Dude I'm confused. So are you agreeing with me or what?
Dec 2, 2016 1:05 PM

Jul 2007
Kind of and kind of not. I am agreeing in the fact that its similar but not agreeing in the fact that, that could be considered a bad thing. Its this familiarity that we loved back in the old days and im glad the movie and game is staying true to the formula, how ever cliche it may be. I think the XIII trilogy forgot all bout that and what makes FF such a beloved franchise. It is quite apparent by the movie and the games plot, that tabata has honestly taken great care and understanding of where the once beloved IP stood and as taken every course of action to bring it back to its roots.

and wat is up with the quotes, why can't I quote someone with a message less then 15 characters?
ArtimesGamerDec 2, 2016 1:37 PM

Dec 2, 2016 6:55 PM

Jul 2013
link9us said:
Kind of and kind of not. I am agreeing in the fact that its similar but not agreeing in the fact that, that could be considered a bad thing. Its this familiarity that we loved back in the old days and im glad the movie and game is staying true to the formula, how ever cliche it may be. I think the XIII trilogy forgot all bout that and what makes FF such a beloved franchise. It is quite apparent by the movie and the games plot, that tabata has honestly taken great care and understanding of where the once beloved IP stood and as taken every course of action to bring it back to its roots.

and wat is up with the quotes, why can't I quote someone with a message less then 15 characters?
Well I can't compare it with FFVI and XIII since I haven't played those but if you still like it even if the plot is similar to Type-O which btw is the latest FF game that is not an mmo then good for you. I'm not an expert in FF games I've played like 5 of them but I've always thought that the charm FF games has to its fans are the recurring characters like Cid, monsters, magics and summons. They're the signature of FF and they're what makes an FF game an FF game. But recurring plot? I don't know about that.

Also I'm still buying the game, been looking forward to it for it for a long time. I'm just debating with myself whether to buy it now or wait till they release a goty edition.
Dec 8, 2016 11:16 PM

Oct 2015
This anime had the best AND the most realistic CGI i have ever seen. I was most concentrated on them than the story. I am glad i got to see Noctis at the end of the credits, i thought i will never see him and the guys even though it was brief.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Dec 9, 2016 5:30 PM

Oct 2013
Goddamn, I'm gonna miss Nyx.

Dec 18, 2016 5:28 PM

Jun 2013
A good CGI movie with great amount of action. THe story is quite compelling with the whole Empire vs. Lucis. I just don't why many of the Kingsglaive felt so betrayed by King Regis. I mean he was trying to do what was best for his own people and son since he has a destiny to fulfill. And you don't cut off the hand that feeds you just because you don't agree with their ideals.

Overall 8/10
Dec 23, 2016 1:45 AM

Mar 2012
link9us said:

No, we definitely have, the basic background plot in this movie is practically a 1 for 1 with FF12. (empire takes over, true ruler is left to fight to reclaim what's rightfully theres)
Speaking only about the movie itself, not the game here..obviously, but the way the movie set the plot up is basically making Noctis a newer Lady Asche. Lucis is basically a larger Damascus, and Niflheim is Arcadia.

Obviously theres differences...damascus was smashed in between a larger war of two larger empires) but the basic background plot is still the same

Anyway...10/10 would totally love to see another Sean Bean character die again.

In all seriousness, it was pretty good for an intro, I believe they the hyping for the game is basically to make up for FF13's shit show. However, I thought the movie did an excellent job and had amazing CGI, probably the best CGI animation I've ever seen.

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment"
Dec 23, 2016 1:47 PM

Jul 2007
Venom900 said:
link9us said:

No, we definitely have, the basic background plot in this movie is practically a 1 for 1 with FF12. (empire takes over, true ruler is left to fight to reclaim what's rightfully theres)
Speaking only about the movie itself, not the game here..obviously, but the way the movie set the plot up is basically making Noctis a newer Lady Asche. Lucis is basically a larger Damascus, and Niflheim is Arcadia.

Obviously theres differences...damascus was smashed in between a larger war of two larger empires) but the basic background plot is still the same

Anyway...10/10 would totally love to see another Sean Bean character die again.

In all seriousness, it was pretty good for an intro, I believe they the hyping for the game is basically to make up for FF13's shit show. However, I thought the movie did an excellent job and had amazing CGI, probably the best CGI animation I've ever seen.

Well there kind of proves my point. XII in essence was a FF game that still retained all those traditional story elements of old that we grew up on. It's just the over all story wasn't executed as well as it could have been. But XIII is where the series in it self shifted into a whole different ground of story telling and inconsequential and nonsensical elements that became just a madness to even follow. Specifically the dev team had a nice unique concept going there on the first game, but the 2nd and 3rd game, dramatically changes the whole perception of the narrative into something that fans just couldn't even grasp with very vague tie-ins to the first game and not so much as mere cameo appearances of your main cast of characters. In short, it was just inconsistent.

I hope Square has learned there lesson not to create a trilogy of games any more cause they fucked up so bad and this is honestly what made the series have a huge decline in the years to come.

Now that is not to say that trilogies of games have no success, on the contrary. Just look at Mass effect OR in the name of Japanese role playing games, Xenosaga, Legend of heroes which sports like 9 games and counting with one of the most ambitious story telling devices ive EVER seen in a video game franchise.

It is just that square either got lazy and just didn't want to follow through with there supposed set trilogy and instead ran into many issues and the end result was almost like 3 disconnected games each with there own lore and story devices.

Though i never do expect even FF to reach the plateau of such hugely ambitious projects like xeno or legend of heroes which are helmed by professional authors both writing and establishing a rich lore and universe with literary books and novels to adapt from. I still do expect series, if there is three games to follow a consistent path and the XIII trilogy but that didn't happen.

XV in it self has a pretty bare bones narrative, its nothing inexplicably complex like a few of the games i mentioned above. But at least it follows a more formulaic route that FF is known for, for god sakes who's idea was it to create Summons out of mechs. Get rid of all the rich mythology and lore that we all know and love. Yeah great move SE. At least XV feels inviting, fresh and has that feel of being a game for first comers as well as fans of the franchise.

Now we just have to see if tabata can hold up to his end of his claim bout fixing some of the glaring story issues in the narrative that fans have noticed.
ArtimesGamerDec 23, 2016 1:58 PM

Feb 14, 2017 8:34 PM
Mar 2016
This was a great film, definitely worth the watch!
First off far out, cgi is top tier, where is the limit to these astounding visual graphics?? At some stages you question wether it is cgi or not it's that photorealistic.

It's action packed. Some of the most badass fighting sequences ive seen to date. The blade teleportation simply makes me jealous, it's so freakin cool.

But with all of that, the story is actually quite a cliche simple storyline. but I found it to be trying over complicate itself with all the characters motivations and goals they're trying to achieve. some of the dialogue I actually found to be just boring (that's Just my opinion). But nonetheless this is fantastic, a worthwhile addition to FFXV.

Overall, if you are an action junkie and orgasm over amazing visuals but can still focus and consume story driven sequences, This is the movie for you. And also this is just good if you want more depth to your FFXV experience.

Great job as always squarenix and whomever collaborated with them, keep it up!
Aug 6, 2017 7:44 PM
Jul 2017
@Heavenpeircer Agreed, nice comments.

Was definitely impressed with the film. Rewatch is definitely high once I blast through some of my current inventory.

Okay, so plot wasn't top notch, but that's why SE does video games primarily. Tough to fit in the nuances, and detail in < 2hrs. Animation was fantastic. Cool scenes. Hard time following some of the action though, went really fast in some areas, just a lot going on.

Nyx was good MC. I don't have the video game yet (waiting for PC release), so not sure if he lived through his sacrifice or not. Good film.
Aug 26, 2017 5:32 PM

May 2012
Well one thing is sure this movie had IMPRESSIVE CGI! I can't even think how many weeks/months it required to render everything. Very impressive!

Quite liked the movie in general, while the pacing wasn't all the best, the action sure was! So all in all a pretty solid watch.
Nov 9, 2017 9:50 AM

Jan 2015
This movie looked really pretty and all, but everything else wasn't that great. The final fight was entertaining, though. Those giant teleporting statues fighting the demons were cool.
Mar 10, 2018 9:15 PM

Jan 2011
I'd have preferred this was something you played through in the game.
Mar 18, 2018 8:20 AM

Aug 2014
Welp this movie atleast made Luna more likeable and gave her some more character, that was nice to see. Also RiP Nyx, I actually quite liked him and wish he had survived so could appear in the game, but oh well.

Overall, I think the movie was quite enjoyable and helps adding to the story of the game, though I feel like this should have happened in the game itself but eh.
May 15, 2018 8:26 PM

May 2016
The main reason I watched this is coz I just finished downloading all 41gb of FFXV DLC and I'm finally ready to play it soon~ The 3D CGI graphics looked very pretty and the setting was really interesting. It's not everyday that I get to see a fusion of sci-fi, fantasy, and modern world elements in one.

The story was really confusing though, specifically the background plots and character relationships I guess. From what I saw, I can tell that there's a lot of traitors at least lol. A lot of the action scenes were kind of a mess because of the shaky camera too but since it's a game adaptation, I still have high expectations for the gameplay~ This was an okay movie and since the opportunity presents itself in this fleeting moment...Nyx dies in Infinity War.

Watching people wearing the ring and burning up made me chuckle. Seeing the 4 pals at the after-credits scene was really cool since they didn't show up for the entire movie which surprised me.

May 21, 2018 12:18 AM

Jul 2015
One of the best final Fantasy movie ever made... what a wonderful epic story .... epic 10/10
Feb 2, 2021 12:45 AM

Feb 2020
the best final fantasy anime even (Way better than spirit within and advent children, both in terms of cgi and storyline). Only bad point is that it being the spin off of final fantasy game limits its potential.

Cgi was damn, just in another level. I don't think there are many anime which could rival its cgi.
Click for a anime mashup!
BIO
Still not gone bandwagon u, keep crying. Here u are welcome to CRINGE at my EXISTENCE

May 30, 2021 10:58 PM
Dec 2017
the movie was cool and all but its meant only for ffxv fans.

Aug 1, 2022 9:21 PM

Jul 2016
Man, I can't even imagine the budget that went in this movie... Sooo many amazing scenes and production.
That said, this is a must watch to play FFXV, I'm 100% sure about it, it makes playing the game a lot more meaningful and the moments you get from it special...

In most cases, the MAL Average Scores don't mean anything, here is a question: were the works made before 2000 all shit?
Why are they so damn scarce in the Top 50? Think about how MAL is quite literally a filtered amount of the Anime fanbase.

Here's a timeline of the Top 15 in which you can check that, almost always, the scores are affected by the freshness, popularity and other factors that have nothing to do with quality.

Jan 14, 2023 9:28 PM
Dec 2020
I found this movie at Dollar Tree today and picked it up.

The CGI is jaw-dropping, there were some points that I could hardly tell it was animated, and for a movie released six and a half years ago, that's saying a lot. And the action scenes were beautiful.

Other than that, the whole movie was a foregone conclusion after having played the first two hours of the game. It was interesting to see that Noctis and Lunafreya's cancelled wedding was a political move, and I don't know what the hell was going on with that ring, but other than that...yeah, the king dies, Niflheim takes over, and the war doesn't end.

And the Regalia craps out. Can't forget that.
Apr 5, 2023 10:17 PM
May 2017
still love after all these years
Jun 19, 2023 7:06 AM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
I was enjoying the movie up to the middle part, and the final battle just felt okay at best, had no absolute interest on it, I was not engaged on it.

This movie started to lose me when the King died, it felt soo forced, and by that I mean, why did he have to die like that? They could have escaped, but the writter needed to get ride of the king and this was not the best way IMO, the same can be said for the betrayals here, they felt totally BS, it was not shocking, just dumb, pourly executed with shit writting to back it up.

If the movie executed these points way better, I would have properly been engaged till the ending since I did like Nyx, but so much felt forced and poorly executed, shame.

Still, this is definitly a must watch for those playing, fuck, the cutscenes they use at the start of the game are from this movie...

7.4/10 = 7

JizzyHitler said:
despite how amazing the visuals looked sometimes it becomes SUPER apparent that this is way more of a budget title than the trailer may lead it out to be. there just alot of cuts in this movie that are downright questionable and it just really felt like a ton of it didnt flow right.

The weridest part of it was no doubt the dialogue, especially when they were trying too hard to be a western blockbuster. Like the game from everything we've seen is super laid back in the dialogue and alot of the conversations are pretty natural feeling, and thats true for this movie.....exclusively for the main character nyx whilst everyone else is talking this faux shakespeare dialect.

that said the movie still had a pretty fucking exciting finale and they did make nyx successfully likable enough even when his backstory was so half assed. I cant help but shake the film really should of existed and that this all should of been a surprise 1st chapter of the game where you play as nyx sort of like hor KH2 tricks you out with roxas.

overall, id give it a 6, its a good film buried underneath mishandled execution but it was still a fun ride, and the last 20 minutes were fun as shit to watch. I do question how well someone who hasnt followed the game's surrounding details to understand it though, i mean on one hand its made exclusively for them, but on the other i think i understand why some western critics said it makes no sense when really its a pretty easy to follow story, almost insultingly simple, but i think thats cause im already aware of alot of concepts and plot points in the game.

Jotakak said:
I don't believe Nyx is dead. The kings were either testing him or changed their minds and he's going to show back up in the game. I can't fucking wait.
Nyx looks pretty fucking dead but we also dont know if XV will have any ghost relate plotpoints, its kind of looking like ardyn might be an unsent spirit of some sort judging by one of the trailers.

Oh damm, it would have been up for an amazing prologue if this was 2-3 hours in the game and after this ends you skip to Noctis perspective and continue where the game currently starts!
Still, shit would have needed to be executed better.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Hmmmm

Gazz - Dec 5, 2017

1 by Disapeared_Ghost »»
Jul 11, 2021 5:22 PM

» Should This Even be considered anime?

KazuroWeisemann - Mar 31, 2016

38 by Skittles »»
Nov 21, 2016 5:57 PM

» Wikipedia External Link needs updated.

Captain_Levi - Mar 31, 2016

0 by Captain_Levi »»
Mar 31, 2016 3:30 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.