Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Aug 11, 2016 7:26 AM

Jan 2014
I don't quite follow the story well, guess I had to play the game before watching the anime.
Aug 11, 2016 3:54 PM

Jul 2013
Velvet is badass. This made me hyped for Berseria. Looks like it will be great. The series still going strong, tho I hope for a more clear tie in between both stories.
Aug 11, 2016 4:29 PM

Jul 2016
Elgargini said:
I don't quite follow the story well, guess I had to play the game before watching the anime.

You don't need to play the game. They just did a rather "poor" job explaining how Tales of Berseria is linked to Tales of Zestiria.

They could easily have "fixed" it by adding this at the beginning of the episode:

"Over 1000 years before the events of Tales of Zestiria, the events that set everything in motion are about to begin..."

-Chapter 5: The Dawn of Chaos-

Aug 11, 2016 6:31 PM

Nov 2008
What was White Light doing there at the end? It felt just kinda shoved in there to fill time, which makes no sense given how they skipped the OP entirely.
Aug 11, 2016 7:11 PM

Aug 2014
So many best girls contenders within this series...

Don't know what was going on for the most part but I like what I see. I'm kinda more interested in Velvet's side of the story tbh.
Aug 11, 2016 10:05 PM

Jul 2013
As much as I love this episode and the song towards the end, what connection does this episode have to Zestiria? Lol
Aug 11, 2016 10:55 PM

Jul 2016
Tenshi_Shura said:
As much as I love this episode and the song towards the end, what connection does this episode have to Zestiria? Lol

The main character, Velvet, is from Tales of Berseria, which is the upcoming game (soon to be released in Japan).

ToB (Berseria) is set 1000s of years before the events of ToZ (Zestiria). Through Velvet's eyes, we shall see the beginning of Calamity and Malevolence. Through Sorey's eyes, we shall see the consequences of Velvet's actions (I think... the game is not out, it's all speculation).

It's not totally confirmed but:
Daemon = Hellion
Demonblight = Malevolence/Calamity
Malak = Seraph
Exorcist = Shepherd

Some of those characters may (will) appear in ToZ aka they will be over 1000s years old!

Anyway, this episode was mostly for "promoting" their upcoming game. They are both (ToZ and ToB) set in the same world, but 1000s of years apart. Since some entity may live for almost forever, you may end up seeing them and connect the dots.

For an Anime-only, this may be confusing as heck (it should be). If you wish to have a better understanding of this episode and the next episode, you can always check the trailers for the upcoming game. It won't have any major spoilers since it's not out yet.

I can make a small resume of it though!

Velvet sets out on a journey of revenge and the consequences of her actions is what you see in Tales of Zestiria --- Rampaging tornadoes, Lord of Calamities, Hellions, etc. (All speculation on my part, since the game is not out)

Aug 12, 2016 2:56 AM

Sep 2009
Wow, that was pretty neat. But I gotta ask...

Did I fucking miss something?

All of the sudden we move on to a completely new plot and personally it looks more interesting than everything that's happened so far. I've seen some wild side tracks before but this is by far the weirdest and most amazing non first episode I've seen.
Aug 12, 2016 7:49 AM

Dec 2015
Is there any connection with what seemed to be the story until now?
Was this episode located in the past? (based on what is told by "balcony girl" to "sparse clothes girl", the second one possibly creating "malevolence")

Why wasn't it called Tales of Boobs the Animation? More seriously, the designs of everything seem at odds with what what I saw before. The only consistency was the overuse of CGI backgrounds and special effects.

?/5 because I need more to find the logical connections.
Aug 12, 2016 10:55 AM

Jan 2014
FrozenSheep said:
Elgargini said:

You don't need to play the game. They just did a rather "poor" job explaining how Tales of Berseria is linked to Tales of Zestiria.

They could easily have "fixed" it by adding this at the beginning of the episode:

"Over 1000 years before the events of Tales of Zestiria, the events that set everything in motion are about to begin..."

-Chapter 5: The Dawn of Chaos-

I see, seriously why didn't they just say so from the beginning?! well thanks for pointing that out.
Aug 12, 2016 4:32 PM
Jul 2018
As a person who has only seen the anime I was completely confused by the switch. I guess after reading this discussion I will wait and see how it connects. Best part for me was the ending lol
Aug 12, 2016 5:40 PM

Jan 2008
I thought I was watching a different series for a moment. But reading up on how this is supposed to be in the distant past to Zestiria, I'm now quite interested in seeing how it all ties together. I just hope it doesn't eat into the Zestiria's content itself seeing as it's only 12 episodes long. My worries would be gone with a second season though.

Also, dat opening.

FrozenSheep said:

ToB (Berseria) is set 1000s of years before the events of ToZ (Zestiria). Through Velvet's eyes, we shall see the beginning of Calamity and Malevolence. Through Sorey's eyes, we shall see the consequences of Velvet's actions (I think... the game is not out, it's all speculation).

It's not totally confirmed but:
Daemon = Hellion
Demonblight = Malevolence/Calamity
Malak = Seraph
Exorcist = Shepherd

Some of those characters may (will) appear in ToZ aka they will be over 1000s years old!

If that's true, then that would be pretty awesome. Reminds me of the Gundam series where you have protagonists vs antagonists; they flip the perspectives around where the "good guys" are the bad guys and ice versa. It may seem everything is black and white as first, but nothing is as clear-cut as it seems.
Estoy_GordoAug 12, 2016 5:50 PM
Aug 13, 2016 3:53 AM

Dec 2012
Great episode, I hope the new characters are linked with Tales of Zestria, because their stories seems interesting.
White Light opening is the best part of this episode, the visuals and the song go so well together. I think I will start playing the game for seeing this intro.
Aug 13, 2016 6:33 PM

Mar 2009
Velvet's relationship with Artorius reminds me of Guts and Griffith, for some reason.

Why did that one woman break Velvet out of the prison? Doesn't she work for the villain? Velvet said something about her being Artorius's Malak, I believe. Confused about that. She just randomly shows up and helps her, without any clear explanation of why she's doing so.
Aug 13, 2016 8:04 PM

Jul 2016
Mormegil said:
Velvet's relationship with Artorius reminds me of Guts and Griffith, for some reason.

Why did that one woman break Velvet out of the prison? Doesn't she work for the villain? Velvet said something about her being Artorius's Malak, I believe. Confused about that. She just randomly shows up and helps her, without any clear explanation of why she's doing so.

Velvet is from Tales of Berseria, the next upcoming game of the Tales installment. "Berseria" "Berse"ia. Berserk :P

Yes, Tales of Berseria is heavily influenced by Berserk.

We don't know her motives for sure (Seres) since the game isn't out, but I think we can extrapolate the fact that she realized that Artorius isn't all that great. In order to obtain great power, he sacrificed a child and brought forth Daemons.

Sometimes lackeys realize that their masters isn't as great as they thought they were. Betraying your master isn't all that new.

Aug 14, 2016 12:33 AM
Jun 2016
velvet is so cool i want to see more of her.
cant for next week episode
Aug 14, 2016 1:47 AM

May 2016
I'm kinda loss at this point of the show, since I've never played the game.

Anyone willing to do a TL;Dr summary on what to expect? :|
Aug 14, 2016 3:41 AM

May 2009
I think I'm just watching purely for the visuals, sounds, and animations at this point. I don't know what is going on for story.
"Non mihi, non tibi, sed nobis" Which means "It's not for me, It's not for you. It's for everyone"
Aug 14, 2016 8:12 AM

Apr 2008
GokuNazz said:
I'm kinda loss at this point of the show, since I've never played the game.

Anyone willing to do a TL;Dr summary on what to expect? :|

These two episodes are basically promotion for the Tales of Berseria game, which comes out in Japan this week. There isn't much more to say about them. Take them as "special episodes".

They do are linked to Zestiria, as Berseria is set in the distant past of Zestiria (about 1000 years in the past), but they are not necessary to understand what's going on in the story of Sorey & Co., which comes back next week.
Aug 14, 2016 9:39 AM
Jun 2013
OrangeJP said:
Velvet and Lailah are the best girls

Velvet's arm is pretty cool

I go with Velvet haha
Aug 14, 2016 11:24 AM

Feb 2016
So, uhm... Defuq? What exactly is going on there? Shouldn't we be following the shepherd dude's advenure or something?

PS: Also, after having seen the new outro, the shepherd dude's (Sorry forgot his name) "power" is basically accumulating as many seraphim as possible and using their power?
Call-Me-CaptainAug 14, 2016 11:28 AM
Aug 15, 2016 10:20 PM

Feb 2015
I don't fucking understanded anything but it was awsome
Aug 16, 2016 5:20 AM

Apr 2015
Beautiful girl... check
cool looking arm... check
Boobs... check
oh there's more... there are 2 of them!!

it's the first time i hear Arai Satomi's normal voice... still weird, though
damn, i miss that opening song from ToZ...
Aug 17, 2016 1:02 AM

Jan 2011
half way had to check was i watching the correct show haha...

first time seen the ED come out right after the OP, anyway Velvet is cool so this change is all good
Aug 17, 2016 1:02 AM

Oct 2015
sorey's story sucks to tell the truth, this was much better and a breather.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Aug 17, 2016 5:44 AM

Mar 2009
FrozenSheep said:
Mormegil said:

Velvet is from Tales of Berseria, the next upcoming game of the Tales installment. "Berseria" "Berse"ia. Berserk :P

Yes, Tales of Berseria is heavily influenced by Berserk.

We don't know her motives for sure (Seres) since the game isn't out, but I think we can extrapolate the fact that she realized that Artorius isn't all that great. In order to obtain great power, he sacrificed a child and brought forth Daemons.

Sometimes lackeys realize that their masters isn't as great as they thought they were. Betraying your master isn't all that new.

I knew I was getting Berserk vibes from this. :D
Thanks, as always, for the helpful explanation and info.
Aug 17, 2016 11:16 AM

Nov 2015

Nice AMV before the Ending, Ufotable jajaja. I liked it.

Mmm, I don't know what to think about Velvet's design, it seems to be a bit too slutty and I still don't figure her personality. Not like Seres, she's the calm and voice of reason character or Rokurou who's the impulsive and full of energy kind of person.

PD: Arthur Pendragon, what are you doing here?

PD2: Whaaat? This is set 1000 years before Zestiria!? Then why we are not told that in the beginning of the episode??
HumbertoZeroAug 17, 2016 11:22 AM
Aug 21, 2016 2:16 PM

Dec 2009
They kinda just cut from the Zestiria team to the Berseria team, I dunno about that. I was actually getting into the Zestiria story
Aug 27, 2016 9:00 PM

May 2014
Whoa that was interesting it felt like I was watching another show.
I'm a bit confused. Will this storyline connect to Mikleo and Sorey's? I'm entirely new to this series btw
White Light so gud
4/5
Aug 28, 2016 12:28 PM

Apr 2015
Wow velvet is hottt.

Pretty nice episode overall.
Aug 29, 2016 11:49 AM

Jul 2011
This episode was really amazing, literally stabbed me in the chair. And that song before ending <3 it was hajashasjasjk *___* soo epic! it's far more better than anime ed.
Sep 8, 2016 8:07 AM

Aug 2016
Am I the only one who was just waiting for a character I actually cared about to come up?
Sep 9, 2016 6:14 AM
Dec 2014
Finally Velvet! Great episode
Sep 11, 2016 6:30 PM

Feb 2014
wtf Superfly lol idk what a year old song is doin here

"For the sake of humankind, I forsake my humanity." - Cherry
Sep 13, 2016 5:11 PM

Jul 2014
To be honest this episode was better than the other Zestiria stuff. Sherane or whatever his name is, is just so bland so is the princess. Overall so far the show as a whole is rather choppy pair that with mediocre characters and its blah, gonna watch some more though to see if it redeems itself.
Sep 16, 2016 8:44 PM

Oct 2015
It really surprised me, they actually insert zestiria game theme white light, real fanservice + fangasm, epic work ufotable.

tch, velvet is really waifu-able, badass + good seiyuu.

dark side/chara as protag, her action (past) brought calamity to sorey's timeline (present), pretty classic.

P.S : only watch until 5 eps atm
gladisrSep 16, 2016 8:49 PM
Sep 28, 2016 3:02 PM

Jan 2014
What the hell am I watching ? This is so different from before :(

I WANNA BE THE WHITE WHITE LIGHT!!
I cant get enough of this game OP since the game release....
Sep 29, 2016 5:30 PM

Jul 2009
This Velvet episode have been better than all the others...
Oct 14, 2016 6:59 AM

Nov 2011
Heck! These here, from where emerge? XD
A similar reversal of situations, it was not even contemplated in my most optimistic expectations. I was in agonizing wait to see Sorey & Co. I have not understood all the events shown; however, this has only increased my expectations for the next episode. Satisfied as is advancing the story, just wish the ending reveal "too much" about who will meet in the future, oh well! Divine designs and soundtrack.
Oct 15, 2016 5:34 PM
Jun 2015
Does anyone knows the song that plays during credits? Is it on the game OST or the anime OST?
Oct 16, 2016 9:45 AM

Sep 2013
Prieststation1 said:
Does anyone knows the song that plays during credits? Is it on the game OST or the anime OST?
white light and its a game OP. the weird was,it play instrumentals only in my game.
tsuki_shiroOct 16, 2016 9:49 AM
Oct 20, 2016 9:49 PM

Mar 2015
Oh man Velvet and Seres are hot
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Nov 28, 2016 6:22 AM

Jul 2013
Woah there. Isn't that the chick from Berseria? I thought the tales games are not connected to each other like FF games? And Berseria is not even out yet. Anyway that Velvet chick may be badass but she's a little too edgy. Like a vengeful angsty teen.
Feb 12, 2017 1:47 PM

May 2012
Pretty good episode in general, loved that ending! Let's see what's next.
Feb 13, 2017 11:02 PM

May 2008
Having Berseria in the middle of the Zestiria anime is like having Phantasia in the middle of the Symphonia anime. Stupid all around.

The episode itself was fine (I also liked Velvet), but if you have to promote another game in your anime adaptation why not just adapt that game? Otherwise, make the original adaptation a correction of the subpar game; it's not that hard to rewrite Zestiria. I honestly don't think the roots of the story are super horrible like some fans; it's just written and edited awfully.

Bandai Namco is filled with idiots.
Mar 20, 2017 5:28 AM

Apr 2015
As someone who hasn't played the game, I'm not getting a single shit bout all this
Apr 7, 2017 6:05 PM
Apr 2015
Skipped , get back to the story please
Jan 6, 2018 1:17 PM

Sep 2017
The Zestiria parts so far have been better story value than the game, Berseria is a much better game with a superior story in my opinion, so I was interested to see what they would change here, and the answer was... not much. The Stormhowl part and Rokurou's "debt" to Velvet was changed and no Magilou yet, but at least that gives me something further to look forward to

I liked Seres, kinda wish the game had allowed her to be kept in as a playable character a bit longer, but that would have required changes to the story, which probably wouldn't have worked
Dec 24, 2019 4:45 PM

Oct 2019
Damn, seeing Velvet alone in this outstanding visual eyegasm by ufotable is very satisfying.
Aug 13, 2020 2:36 PM

Nov 2016
This literally became another anime wtf. I like it tho randomly going from Zestiria to Berseria. Never played the games but know all the characters. I still want my Tales of Vesperia anime tho :(
CPU: i7 6700 | GPU: GTX 1070 | RAM: 16GB | HD: 1TB | Moderators are mean! | D. Gray Man Hallow is UNDERRATED!

Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tales of Zestiria the X Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jul 17, 2016

194 by Tsukasa_Rio »»
Sep 17, 5:12 PM

Poll: » Tales of Zestiria the X Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Tyrel - Jul 10, 2016

221 by Tsukasa_Rio »»
Sep 17, 4:56 PM

Poll: » Tales of Zestiria the X Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 25, 2016

188 by bushman66 »»
Dec 6, 2023 6:09 PM

Poll: » Tales of Zestiria the X Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 11, 2016

138 by bushman66 »»
Dec 5, 2023 5:31 PM

Poll: » Tales of Zestiria the X Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 4, 2016

105 by bushman66 »»
Dec 5, 2023 5:30 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.