Forum Settings
Forums

Do you think that people who have a MAL mean score below 4.00 hate anime?

New
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »
Jun 29, 2016 11:26 AM

Mar 2016
Maybe They like it but keep choosing the wrong anime. Organisatie They Just hate it andere formaten Some reason keep watching
Jun 29, 2016 11:26 AM

Aug 2015
Neh, maybe their scores are weighed differently like mine.
Jun 29, 2016 11:33 AM

Oct 2013
No they don't hate anime they just rate anime harshly because that's what you do to be lump in a specific type of group. Of course not everyone is like that, but the ones that regularly browse these forums definitely are.

RottenPanda said:
BS, my mean score is 4.17 and I love Anime.
When I give a show a low rating it doesn't necessarily mean that I didn't have fun watching it, it just means that it's a bad show.
And please stop with that "if you don't like, don't watch it" garbage

let me translate that for you, I enjoy this specific anime, but because a certain group that I admire doesn't see it as a good anime, therefore I am unable to label this anime that I enjoy as a genuinely good anime.

Unless you're saying all of these anime are "so bad its good" type, which I doubt it.
Jun 29, 2016 11:37 AM

Jul 2015
i dont blame them because 90% of everything is crap
but watching a lot of anime knowing that you will not enjoy is a pure masochism
Jun 29, 2016 11:47 AM

Oct 2015
I have a mean score of 7.78 just because if I don't like an anime I just drop it and almost never bother entering it on MAL, so I end up having only shows I consider at least a 6 in my list, if I didn't I'd probably have a mean score of about 5.
Jun 29, 2016 11:49 AM

Apr 2016
Short answer NO.
If they hated anime they wouldn't waste their time with it or creating a MAL account.They are probably from those wannabe critic types while there is nothing wrong with being critic but rating everything like they are garbage is not the proper way to do it.
UNLESS their rating system is completely different than what most people usually use eg. some poeple use 1 to 5 scheme instead of 1 to 10.
Jun 29, 2016 11:53 AM

Jun 2016
You said:
SHUT UP GUYS, WHY DO YOU MAKE MY THREADS CANCEROUS :((((

Anyways, there's some people who wanted the show they dislike got down in the top anime rank so they score it a 1 and also make other alt to rate it a 1. What do you think guys?

More people should rate all hentai/ecchi/erotica 10/10 so all of it is ranked higher than anime and rate all Vanilla 1/10 on alts. Needs moar this.
Asa Akira said:
It's called S&M if both parties enjoy it; Otherwise it's called being an asshole.

Jun 29, 2016 12:00 PM

Nov 2015
Stop trying to find a way to make these threads even more cancerous !
Jun 29, 2016 12:10 PM
Jul 2018
Kezone said:
They're probably harsh-rating completionists who pick up shows on a whim. Also, I bet their lists are full of shorts, OVAs, and seasonal anime. Doesn't mean they hate all anime though, just that they have no real standards when choosing what to watch. I'm sure they also have shows they love, otherwise they'd find a better hobby.

Pretty much 90% of all anime nowadays is seasonal, I don't see your point.
Jun 29, 2016 12:33 PM

Mar 2015
keragamming said:
No they don't hate anime they just rate anime harshly because that's what you do to be lump in a specific type of group. Of course not everyone is like that, but the ones that regularly browse these forums definitely are.

RottenPanda said:
BS, my mean score is 4.17 and I love Anime.
When I give a show a low rating it doesn't necessarily mean that I didn't have fun watching it, it just means that it's a bad show.
And please stop with that "if you don't like, don't watch it" garbage

let me translate that for you, I enjoy this specific anime, but because a certain group that I admire doesn't see it as a good anime, therefore I am unable to label this anime that I enjoy as a genuinely good anime.

Unless you're saying all of these anime are "so bad its good" type, which I doubt it.

Cute speculations there! Also, pretty much all anime I gave a one are "so bad it's good"
what
Jun 29, 2016 12:56 PM

Sep 2013
Do you think that people who have a MAL mean score below 4.00 hate anime?

Yes, I fucking hate anime.
That's obviously why I use this site.
Jun 29, 2016 1:03 PM

Dec 2014
Not really. They have a different rating system and probably higher standards that do not get met often.
Jun 29, 2016 1:10 PM

Jan 2016
No, they're probably VERY objective about anime.. Even though I've never seen sm1 with below 4.00, the lowest one I've seen is.. 4.57, it's ZephSilver
Jun 29, 2016 1:12 PM

Apr 2011
iafozzac said:
I have a mean score of 7.78 just because if I don't like an anime I just drop it and almost never bother entering it on MAL, so I end up having only shows I consider at least a 6 in my list, if I didn't I'd probably have a mean score of about 5.

Same! If I don't like it I drop it, and if I'm only a few episodes in, I delete it from my list. Which is why my score is so high.
Ericonator said:
By definition, everything is retro since by the time you realize something has happened it's already in the past.
Jun 29, 2016 1:14 PM

Jan 2012
Kona_Kana said:
No, I like anime and my mean score is 3.32

This always sort of baffles me personally. I know that everyone rates sort of differently and I respect the different ways people rate, but I don't understand how anyone with a 3.32 mean score can say they like anime. That's like saying the average anime they have watched they think is very bad, which isn't a good thing.
Jun 29, 2016 1:20 PM

Feb 2010
sman3579 said:
Kona_Kana said:

This always sort of baffles me personally. I know that everyone rates sort of differently and I respect the different ways people rate, but I don't understand how anyone with a 3.32 mean score can say they like anime. That's like saying the average anime they have watched they think is very bad, which isn't a good thing.

It isn't really like that, or it doesn't have to be. You said it yourself, people rate differently. 3 might not mean Very Bad for that person. If you say you respect when people rate differently then you should be willing to not judge them based on what their average rating means according to the official ratings since chances are they're not meaning the same thing for them.
I probably regret this post by now.
Jun 29, 2016 1:20 PM
Aug 2014
sman3579 said:
Kona_Kana said:

I just haven't seen as many great series yet to balance it out. The multitude of bad series doesn't take anything away from the great ones which is enough to make me stay.
Jun 29, 2016 1:31 PM

Feb 2013
puraragi said:
Kezone said:
They're probably harsh-rating completionists who pick up shows on a whim. Also, I bet their lists are full of shorts, OVAs, and seasonal anime. Doesn't mean they hate all anime though, just that they have no real standards when choosing what to watch. I'm sure they also have shows they love, otherwise they'd find a better hobby.

Pretty much 90% of all anime nowadays is seasonal, I don't see your point.

I mean, that they watch the shows as they come out. Lots of shows start out looking very promising, and end up going to shit as they air. People who only watch shows that've finished airing have much higher chances of avoiding bad shows (based on reviews, rating, word of mouth, ect) then people who pick up shows based on the first episode.
Jun 29, 2016 1:34 PM

May 2015
flannan said:

Can somebody who thinks most anime are "bad" or worse be considered an anime fan? I don't think so.
People who aren't anime fans don't get the freedom to dislike anime. Just like people who aren't of african descent aren't allowed to use the N-word.

this is a hilarious analogy, not sure if it's a bad or good one though, leaning towards bad.

But it's a good(or respectable one anyway) point, not the n-word part, the first line.

However, you do realize that hating MOST anime doesn't mean you don't like anime, right? If you hate hundreds of anime and like 10, you don't hate the medium, you just have a narrow view. If you hated the medium, you wouldn't like those ten, because they are a part of it. Obviously.

When that one person in this thread has like 400+ they like and like 420 they don't(with a little bit of 10s and a whole lot of 1s), they pretty obviously don't hate anime.

You can extend this to some liking 10,000 anime and hating 15,000, you can extend this to someone liking 20 anime and hating 10, you can even extend this to someone liking 10 anime and hating 30, whether or not you prefer "most" works doesn't determine whether or not you like an entire medium(or rather, an eastern version of a medium). It's about execution and stuff, it's about the quality of the work not the nature of the medium. Sometimes it's even about the landscape of the medium, not the medium itself.

edit: people who aren't anime fans don't watch anime, unless they watch them solely to hate them, in which case their watching them, but they probably aren't watching them. people with low averages don't necessarily fit that criteria.
ashfrliebertJun 29, 2016 3:20 PM
ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ
Jun 29, 2016 1:59 PM

Oct 2012
No, because rating is subjective. You can't define a definite rating scale for everybody.
Jun 29, 2016 2:05 PM

Aug 2014
They dont necessarily hate anime.
But i think some of them are acting to look like critics, but in fact they look like morons.
Jun 29, 2016 2:26 PM
Jul 2018
i think those people actually do enjoy anime but they think that most series should not receive a high rating due to their high standards
Jun 29, 2016 2:44 PM

Sep 2013
kamisama751 said:
Ertebak said:

Yes, I fucking hate anime.
That's obviously why I use this site.

Wait bro, I am going to follow you soon. :D

What do you even mean? Are you going to stalk me?
Jun 29, 2016 3:11 PM

Apr 2015
No, but I do think that this people have standards.

-Mastergold
Jun 29, 2016 3:18 PM

Apr 2011
Mastergold said:
No, but I do think that this people have standards.

-Mastergold
So you wouldn't say you have standards? lol
Jun 29, 2016 3:26 PM

Apr 2015

I might have standards, who knows...

-Mastergold
ElliestyJun 29, 2016 3:30 PM
Jun 29, 2016 3:31 PM

Nov 2015
hate themselves
watching anime is their blade
Jun 29, 2016 4:16 PM

Jun 2014
They probably don't hate it. Maybe they're the ones that are over analyze everything. You know the ones that only like the best anime but is critical on everything else.
Jun 29, 2016 5:54 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
DioTsolakou said:
Mamster-P said:

i third this lol

i see no fucking reason to finish a show you're going to rate so low...... my favorite are the people who finish a 25 episode anime then rate it a 1 or 2

ive said this SOOOOO MANY times lol

My favorite are those who watch long ass anime like Gintama and Naruto and rate them below 4. Wtf is that? They watched 400+ episodes and they rate it so low? Or even "shorter" anime like FMAB, Soul Eater and Monster and they still rate them low.

yea, i was even surprised when a friend finished Naruto and only gave it a 7, like hell i'd watch a series that long thats not getting an 8 or higher
Jun 29, 2016 6:03 PM

May 2015
DioTsolakou said:

My favorite are those who watch long ass anime like Gintama and Naruto and rate them below 4. Wtf is that? They watched 400+ episodes and they rate it so low?

It's called perseverance and laughter!
ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ
Jun 29, 2016 6:08 PM

Apr 2014
Because average is = 5, which clearly many mal users don't understand.

If you wonder about my mean score, I was once a completionist. I'm starting to drop stuff just now recently.
SdragJun 29, 2016 6:12 PM

Jun 29, 2016 7:05 PM
Jul 2018
not necessarily. it could mean anything! they could watch terrible anime, they could be very hipster about the popular animes or they could just have picky tastes in anime!
Jun 29, 2016 7:43 PM

Jan 2013
I feel it's only natural that eventually your average score will drop after watching a certain amount of anime, especially if you try and follow each season faithfully like some people do. For every show that you rate an 8-10 there's plenty more that you'll end up rating much lower.
Jun 29, 2016 8:05 PM

May 2014
Nah I don't think they hate anime if that's the case. Why bother being in MAL and watch anime in the first place? Their mean scores are probably that low because they take anime too seriously, forgetting the fact that it is a form of entertainment. Or maybe they really just want to look like elitists because they think it's cool. Most of the people I've encountered who have low mean scores are the ones who watch more OVAs and movies than an actual series.
Jun 29, 2016 8:19 PM

Aug 2010
I just think they want to show the world how accurate they are scoring.

I really don't get why poeple put a harsh note because of other issue than enjoyement on something than is made FOR enjoyement. Nonsense.
Jun 29, 2016 8:22 PM
Apr 2016
Anyone who hates anything they watch so much that their mean score ends up as a 4 really needs to find a new hobby.
Jun 29, 2016 9:12 PM

Jul 2011
Anyone who has a mean below 5 shouldn't even be watching anime. What is the point of wasting countless hours watching episodes if your anime experience is below average.
Jun 29, 2016 9:25 PM

Oct 2015
They either watch a lot of bad anime or they are elitists and it's something like:

"This anime was interesting but, another, yet another anime set in high school? This makes me take my score down from a 7/10 to a 4/10."

"This anime would have been good but the story got cliched at the last minute, I would have given it a 8/10 but now I'm giving it a 4/10".

"This anime told a decent story but it wasn't at Legend of the Galactic Heroes level so I'm giving it a 3/10"

"There was too much fan service, 3/10".
Jun 29, 2016 9:37 PM
Mar 2015
I think a lot of people aren't understanding the point of this thread. Different numbers mean different things to different people. If you want a mathematically logical list then it only makes sense to have a mean of 5. It would mean that all of your ratings equal out. You're numbers mark you're enjoyment based on your value of the numbers themselves. If you rate anything average as a 5 then a 5 is average.

Also to the people who say that if your mean is below 5 your experience is below average, I disagree. It's not like there's an "average anime watching experience" to be comparing it to. You're experience is your experience and that's that. The numbers don't mean it's not enjoyable. If they chose to continue watching anime, it obviously brings them value in their life. Maybe that value is shitting over series they dislike and who are you to judge?

Of course I think it's unreasonable to care about a mathematically consistent review but that's just me and I don't care if you do or don't.

*EDIT* I forgot to mention that a 4 rating for expample isn't necessarily harsh it's simply a 4 rating. It may mean something different to the person rating it then it does to you.
Jun 30, 2016 12:01 AM

Nov 2009
ashfrliebert said:
flannan said:

Can somebody who thinks most anime are "bad" or worse be considered an anime fan? I don't think so.
People who aren't anime fans don't get the freedom to dislike anime. Just like people who aren't of african descent aren't allowed to use the N-word.

this is a hilarious analogy, not sure if it's a bad or good one though, leaning towards bad.

But it's a good(or respectable one anyway) point, not the n-word part, the first line.

However, you do realize that hating MOST anime doesn't mean you don't like anime, right? If you hate hundreds of anime and like 10, you don't hate the medium, you just have a narrow view. If you hated the medium, you wouldn't like those ten, because they are a part of it. Obviously.

When that one person in this thread has like 400+ they like and like 420 they don't(with a little bit of 10s and a whole lot of 1s), they pretty obviously don't hate anime.

You can extend this to some liking 10,000 anime and hating 15,000, you can extend this to someone liking 20 anime and hating 10, you can even extend this to someone liking 10 anime and hating 30, whether or not you prefer "most" works doesn't determine whether or not you like an entire medium(or rather, an eastern version of a medium). It's about execution and stuff, it's about the quality of the work not the nature of the medium. Sometimes it's even about the landscape of the medium, not the medium itself.

edit: people who aren't anime fans don't watch anime, unless they watch them solely to hate them, in which case their watching them, but they probably aren't watching them. people with low averages don't necessarily fit that criteria.

Well said.
I wish these people to become better at finding the sort of anime that they like.
Jun 30, 2016 12:43 AM

Mar 2012
I think there are two types of people that would a mean score below 4...trolls who are obviously doing it to get attention and mess with people and then there are anime elitist who only rate a very select group of anime with a good score while the rest are 1s and 2s. I honestly can't stand snobs like those because I think they are being very disingenuine toward their scores. I don't believe they can honestly think an average anime should be rated with a 1 or 2 just to prop up the anime they fawn over.
Jun 30, 2016 5:57 AM

Apr 2016
I had the feel that those 4.0 guys are usually advanced otakus with over 100 days spent on anime... I guess those guys pay a lil bit more attention to flaws due to the high expierience...

Just a wild guess tho

#sokawaiixd
Jun 30, 2016 6:00 AM

Apr 2015
No that's retarded.

Your average on scoring doesn't represent your love or overall enjoyment for the medium.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 30, 2016 6:34 AM

Jul 2012
No they are just very critical viewers.
Jun 30, 2016 6:35 AM

Apr 2016
No, that doesn't mean that they don't enjoy it. If they didn't enjoy anime, why would they even be on this site?
currently in a state of denial
Jun 30, 2016 6:43 AM

Feb 2016
These guys should be kicked out of MAL ;p
Jun 30, 2016 6:48 AM

May 2015
Euhin said:
These guys should be kicked out of MAL ;p
They shouldn't even be allowed to watch anime since their scores are too low, we need a law that makes it mandatory to have an average of at least 6.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 30, 2016 6:49 AM

Feb 2016
zal said:
They shouldn't even be allowed to watch anime since their scores are too low, we need a law that makes it mandatory to have an average of at least 6.

If only you and I were Mods.....sigh :(
Jun 30, 2016 6:55 AM

Jan 2015
Under the 10 point rating system, scoring bellow a 4 is usually branded as a failure. So yeah, I guess the person thinks anime is a mistake as a medium.
Jun 30, 2016 7:56 AM

Sep 2013
I agree with the people who say that they don't hate it, and are just picky. Either that, or they've watched amazing shows, and anything else they have watched can't compare. I know a few people like that... Quite a few, actually.

Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Do you like weak maids or strong maids?

Catalano - Jun 6

17 by Theo1899 »»
23 minutes ago

» ways to watch as before

otaku2000anime - 4 hours ago

6 by RudeRedis »»
26 minutes ago

» Why aren't there more political / historical anime?

mahrjose - Jun 7

26 by RudeRedis »»
31 minutes ago

» How do people finish anime they consider bad? ( 1 2 )

Rinrinka - Yesterday

65 by RudeRedis »»
39 minutes ago

Poll: » Which of these shonen is the best in your opinion?

Yaaceen - 5 hours ago

36 by Yaaceen »»
40 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.