Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Apr 21, 2016 5:46 AM
Nov 2015
The overusing of romance is always disgusting.
I like slight romance like Fremy x Adlet from Rokka no Yuusha, their relation grow in a smooth way (My POV)
Today's romance plots are so cliché that make me sick of it.
Apr 21, 2016 7:50 AM

Mar 2013
I LOVE my romantic subplots, especially when I think they're executed well (Yu Yu Hakusho springs to mind, as does FMAB. Yes I'm a pleb for thinking of long running shonen, sue me).
Apr 21, 2016 10:59 AM

Feb 2013
i prefer low romance
unless it s mari okada
Apr 21, 2016 11:02 AM

Jan 2013
I like mature romances with deep themes and serious developments.
Apr 21, 2016 1:16 PM

Jan 2013
-Maz said:
Depends on the execution. That good ol' answer. So long as the romance feels natural and actually has a reason for being included, I can enjoy it. I tend to dislike romance that springs out of nowhere, especially if it's overbearing right off the bat. Instances such as Rokka no Yuusha where
I will typically dislike shit like that. Regardless of the amount of chemistry present, that isn't love, period. When there isn't much reason for it to have yet surfaced it'll just start to feel forced, and included just for the sake of having romance.

I also dislike overly embarassed people who spend the entire anime freaking the fuck out just because the person they like is living in the same country. Shirou from F/SN exemplifies this - he has a scene in the VN where
Stuff like that is just pathetic. I can't enjoy romance when the characters are like that. There's a certain albeit arbitrary line where awkwardness and embarassment just goes too far.
I'm not sure whether it's just exaggerated in anime or whether it's an actual Japanese thing where people blow their own heads off because someone of the opposite gender is in their vicinity, but either way I vehemently dislike it.

Otherwise, I'm all for romance. It adds a nice dynamic if it's a minor part of a different story, and I do enjoy a fully-on romance focused anime from time to time. It's better if they get together some time before the end, though. I always enjoy romance more if it doesn't culminate in the first kiss being at the end of the last episode. This way you actually get to see them acting as a couple.

Regarding Fremy. That's not a real romance... since..

Regarding Fate. Shirou had no experience with girls, and was your typical hyper-virgin. Anime exagerrates everything so they exagerrated his reactions a bit at times. It only ever happens once.

But yeah I see where you're coming from.
Klad said:
I like mature romances with deep themes and serious developments.

Really? I generally hate those. The only ones I've seen are shit like Nana where it's about sexual discovery "Am I gay or not" or about shitty people fucking with each other's feelings. Junketsu No Maria's romance has deep themes and serious developments but I definitely wouldn't classify that under mature romance.
Apr 21, 2016 2:45 PM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
TitanAnteus said:

How much romance do you guys like in your anime? Do you guys like the romance being the primary focus? Do you guys not really care if there's none in there?

I like both. I enjoy my Ano Natsu de Matterus as much as I enjoy my Blue Seeds or eve Z Gundam.

If there's a specific show that balanced the romance with the rest of the show extremely well please talk about it. For me Junketsu no Maria did it best.

Romeo X Juliet I'd say. Though it takes tons of liberties from the original, it's still Romeo and Juliet, but also a pretty damn good action show.

I'm level on MAL-Badges. View my badges.
Apr 21, 2016 2:52 PM

Jan 2013
BatoKusanagi said:
TitanAnteus said:

How much romance do you guys like in your anime? Do you guys like the romance being the primary focus? Do you guys not really care if there's none in there?

I like both. I enjoy my Ano Natsu de Matterus as much as I enjoy my Blue Seeds or eve Z Gundam.

If there's a specific show that balanced the romance with the rest of the show extremely well please talk about it. For me Junketsu no Maria did it best.

Romeo X Juliet I'd say. Though it takes tons of liberties from the original, it's still Romeo and Juliet, but also a pretty damn good action show.

Romeo X Juliet?
Wasn't that show terribly received when it was airing?

You don't think the romance was there just because it's supposed to be a Romeo and Juliet adaptation?
Apr 21, 2016 4:26 PM

Oct 2014
ones that helps the story the characters progress!
you can find me at www.youtube.com/jerbanie where i upload
anime reviews, first impressions, countdowns and other garbage
Apr 21, 2016 5:11 PM

Nov 2008
I think romance is best when it is a sub-plot. Though the new anime 12-sai seems to be doing well with its central theme...so we shall see how that goes. It's probably going to function as a character study as well so character studies coupled with romance can turn out really well too....as long as the writing is good.

I always expect every anime to have a romantic ending, a hug or a kiss.
And mostly there isn't, but I guess it's fine, because many people probably prefer without

I NEED TO SEE HUGS AND KISSES TO HELP ME FUNCTION AS A HUMAN BEING.

lol idk

Apr 21, 2016 5:59 PM

Aug 2014
TitanAnteus said:

I don't mind romance or romantic elements in an anime as long as it fits. But for me there is the problem, that most anime don't do romance right in my opinion as it feels like the characters that they want to have in a relationship to be in more like a friendship, before one of them drops the bombshell of saying that they like or love the other character from seemingly out of nowhere. Not to mention that anime that have relationships most of the time come across as awkward or a bit cringe worthy. To be honest I'm struggling of anime that I think that has done a good job on a relationship. Had a quick flick through the comments and only saw one that I thought was done to an ok/good degree is from SAO, although there was a good number of anime mentioned I haven't seen. While a quick look through my own list I can safely say that "Danna ga Nani wo Itteiru ka Wakaranai Ken" is the only anime I recognise to have done a romantic relationships in a really good way. There is also Amnesia but that is more down to the viewer's perspective due to the way that show is done.

As for romance being a primary focus or not, in general I'm not big on romance but if it is done in the right way then I wouldn't mind it being the main focus of a show. Whereas shows that are not focus on romance, I rather have no romance in a show whatsoever than have a bad or forced romance thrown into the story or plot points. Since that detracts from the show instead of adding more to it. Its almost like the last minute panic of the writer not being sure on what the characters should do (mostly near the end of the series), so he (or she) throws them into relationship or makes them declare that one character loves another and so far I haven't seen that work at all. Most of the time it's been clearly been nothing more than a friendship with no hint of romance until that point and I just feel like any other kind type of ending would of worked better. But yeah, that is just my opinion.
Apr 21, 2016 6:07 PM
Duck Overlord

Mar 2016
I'm a romance nerd, and I gladly admit it. Books, movies, TV shows, anime--I love it all.

But if the romance seems forced or its development was too random, or it just all of a sudden happened, then I have a problem with it.

The romance has to have its plotline (I call it the romance plotline) make sense and actually be a line and not just a "dot", if you get what I'm saying.

Otherwise, I'm all about dat romance. "Aww," is practically my favorite word.
"The moment you think of giving up, think of the reason you held on so long." - Natsu Dragneel

"Now I see more and understand less." - Taichi Yagami
Apr 21, 2016 6:10 PM

Jan 2016
Romance anime is the majority of what I watch, so I tend to like it to be the main focus. But when I'm watching a show more focused on a different genre, I do like there to be romantic subplot.
"The only one who can beat me is me."
Apr 21, 2016 6:12 PM

May 2015
sometimes it works out well while sometimes it's oversappy garbage
Freddy Nicholas said:
have control, be yourself, god is dead
Apr 21, 2016 6:19 PM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
TitanAnteus said:

Romeo X Juliet?
Wasn't that show terribly received when it was airing?

No idea; but what does that matter?

You don't think the romance was there just because it's supposed to be a Romeo and Juliet adaptation?

What? When did I say I didn't think the romance was there?

I'm level on MAL-Badges. View my badges.
Apr 21, 2016 6:20 PM

Apr 2016
Temmie said:
I like over the top romance if it's gay. It should be the main focus, and if it's straight gtfo

(Temmie's gay post of the day)

Suck dick or get kicked amirite

(tbh ive never watched a gay anime)
Apr 21, 2016 6:22 PM

Jan 2014
Tentology said:

The reason I particularly disliked them is because they're overly idealistically perfect. I mean the dude is the materialization of everything a guy wants to be and the girl is the materialization of everything a guy wants his girl to be. Furthermore, their interactions consist largely of generic I love you, I'll always be with you (as I mentioned before), always thinking of one another no matter what they do. There's not a moment of doubt between their relationship despite they're like, 16.

Everything you said are qualities of their relationship imo. They're literally the best couple I've ever seen in any piece of fiction.

I simply cannot understand why someone would want realistic romance in fiction. I hate RL romance because is DAMN boring and boring and boring. That's why the idea of having a romantic partner IRL pulls me off. Why would you want the same shit where you can have it much much better, like in fiction?

Doubts in a relationship? Discussions? Boredom? The less of that, the better imo. With those flawed relationships I can't actually like the couple or feel heartwarmed...

As you said, though, everyone has their own opinion. If those flawed relationships exists, people that like them also exist. But could you please explain me what's the appeal in that?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 21, 2016 6:24 PM

Dec 2012
It doesn't really matter to me whether it's a sub plot or the main plot, I like them both. Liking the romance all depends on whether I dig the two character's chemistry though. The ones I like the most though are the more mature kind where characters actually do things people in relationships do like sex, marriage, moving in together, dealing with disagreements, and having kids and stuff.
"The name's Gambit. Remember it."
-Gambit "X-Men '97"

Apr 21, 2016 6:25 PM

Jan 2014
TitanAnteus said:
So, I'm reading manga and watching anime as a 14 year old boy and I come to a realization.

I really like romance in my anime. I liked the romantic subplot of YuYu Hakusho. I watched Sailor Moon and enjoyed the whole Tuxedo Max and Usagi thing, and so I watch more.

Then I watch shows where the main aspect of the show is romance and they're REALLY hit or miss. Like holy shit, some are absolutely disgusting and others are... Amagami XD.

Dude, you should play visual novels. Like, seriously.

There are VNs focused in romance, and VNs not focused in romance. The advantages are that the heroine and the guy always get together long before the story ends (and you can end up with different girls, depending on your choices), and most of the times while there still being a big focus on romance, there is a heroine-focused plot based on character development and personal conflicts.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 21, 2016 6:36 PM

Feb 2015
Robiiii said:
Yosuga is the only romance anime u will ever need

Yeah, after I finished watching the anime, I stopped watching incest-anime related, until I picked-up OreImo... I'm not saying that I was traumatized watching Yosuga no Sora, it was just way beyond what I thought it would be. But the last arc, was indeed the best of all arcs in Yosuga no Sora.
Apr 21, 2016 6:37 PM
Apr 2016
The romance where the couple wants to bone each other at every opportunity.
Apr 21, 2016 6:48 PM

May 2014
Yhuori said:
Temmie said:
I like over the top romance if it's gay. It should be the main focus, and if it's straight gtfo

(Temmie's gay post of the day)

Suck dick or get kicked amirite

(tbh ive never watched a gay anime)

(despite it's rating) I think anyone can enjoy Love Stage even in the face of gay romance. Nice dicks there.
Apr 21, 2016 6:58 PM

Jan 2013
starlessn1ght said:
TitanAnteus said:
So, I'm reading manga and watching anime as a 14 year old boy and I come to a realization.

I really like romance in my anime. I liked the romantic subplot of YuYu Hakusho. I watched Sailor Moon and enjoyed the whole Tuxedo Max and Usagi thing, and so I watch more.

Then I watch shows where the main aspect of the show is romance and they're REALLY hit or miss. Like holy shit, some are absolutely disgusting and others are... Amagami XD.

Dude, you should play visual novels. Like, seriously.

There are VNs focused in romance, and VNs not focused in romance. The advantages are that the heroine and the guy always get together long before the story ends (and you can end up with different girls, depending on your choices), and most of the times while there still being a big focus on romance, there is a heroine-focused plot based on character development and personal conflicts.

How do you know I don't? Majikoi and Utawarerumono are fantastic.

But now that you bring that up, i think it's pretty hilarious that even VNs now have romance as a subplot most of the time.
Apr 21, 2016 7:34 PM
Apr 2015
[quote=starlessn1ght message=45700517]
Tentology said:
Everything you said are qualities of their relationship imo. They're literally the best couple I've ever seen in any piece of fiction.

I simply cannot understand why someone would want realistic romance in fiction. I hate RL romance because is DAMN boring and boring and boring. That's why the idea of having a romantic partner IRL pulls me off. Why would you want the same shit where you can have it much much better, like in fiction?

Doubts in a relationship? Discussions? Boredom? The less of that, the better imo. With those flawed relationships I can't actually like the couple or feel heartwarmed...

As you said, though, everyone has their own opinion. If those flawed relationships exists, people that like them also exist. But could you please explain me what's the appeal in that?

When it comes to a relationship when the couple complements one another perfectly, there's no drama, no suspense, no thrill and no challenges to overcome. Love isn't just about the fluffiness, coziness and cutesy stuffs you see with SAO, it's also about overcoming, reconciling differences, compromising for one another.

What I'm interested in seeing is a couple getting past their differences in most if not all aspects, and challenges on the path of love. Only then can they truly understand and resonate with one another.

I can't see any point of watching a couple if all they ever do is smooch, kiss, cuddle and exchange sweet lines and think about the other all day long. Imagine that you were born a billionaire, life's enjoyable but there's absolutely nothing fascinating about that. Same thing for a couple, if they were absolutely perfect from the beginning, it's downright boring and idealistic.
Apr 21, 2016 10:11 PM
Jul 2018
I really like anime with romance, it makes things a little more interesting for me. I prefer if it's the main focus and the romance is more of the adult-type to change it up from all the school love anime I've watched. From what I can remember of it Rumbling Hearts did a good job with this, in my opinion.
Apr 21, 2016 10:21 PM
Mar 2009
It depends on the genre. If it's not the focus or if it's trying to be more of a comedy (unless it's well done), I'll be more forgiving, but if they're trying to be serious about it, I'm really going to want some kind of resolutions. I don't mind misunderstandings and the usual cliches, but there's so much avoidance of the conflict and issues in a lot of shows out there. Maybe it's for the sake of keeping the status quo, for making sure they can have a season two, whatever, but it makes for the show now weaker.

For instance, one anime adaptation I recently watched actually rewrote how there was a confession very early in the manga (which admittedly was a 4koma) just so it could have the effect of pretending like they were ending on some kind of growth point.

In the same vein, endings that are open ended or don't resolve anything but are final, without any chance of a continuation, are the worst.

Mind though, this is more about anime and manga geared towards romance being a bigger part of the story. If it's a mecha series or an action one or that kind of thing, then it might be better to only do the minimum, especially if it's a series aimed at a younger demographic.
Apr 21, 2016 10:46 PM
Jan 2016
Tentology said:

When it comes to a relationship when the couple complements one another perfectly, there's no drama, no suspense, no thrill and no challenges to overcome. Love isn't just about the fluffiness, coziness and cutesy stuffs you see with SAO, it's also about overcoming, reconciling differences, compromising for one another.

What I'm interested in seeing is a couple getting past their differences in most if not all aspects, and challenges on the path of love. Only then can they truly understand and resonate with one another.

I can't see any point of watching a couple if all they ever do is smooch, kiss, cuddle and exchange sweet lines and think about the other all day long. Imagine that you were born a billionaire, life's enjoyable but there's absolutely nothing fascinating about that. Same thing for a couple, if they were absolutely perfect from the beginning, it's downright boring and idealistic.

I disagree. I will take SAO romance over stuff like Kimi ni Todoke or Nisekoi any day of the week. It's nice to see some actual romance, where the MCs are shown you know... loving each other instead of being clueless like idiots or perpetually too shy to act on their feelings. Bonus points for the fact that they actually have(heavily implied) sex, something that seems to be an absolute taboo in romance portraying teenagers.
Drama? Suspense? There's no suspense in media, because at the end of the day, you know they will end up together, it's never the destination, it's always the journey that matters. That's one of the reasons many people slam Nisekoi, it drags for over 200 chapters now, even though it was crystal clear from day one which of the girls Raku will choose.
Contrast it with SAO, where the romance is also very clear, with it the MCs coming together early on, but there not being that constant ship teasing that keeps yanking on the fans' chain, giving hope of something else only to crush it later. All the other girls in Kirito's "harem" (Not a true harem in my humble opinion) have no chances to be with him and they know it. They hang out with him not because they hope to get with him, but because he's just such a good guy.
Apr 22, 2016 9:48 AM

Jan 2014
TitanAnteus said:

How do you know I don't? Majikoi and Utawarerumono are fantastic.

But now that you bring that up, i think it's pretty hilarious that even VNs now have romance as a subplot most of the time.

I assumed that cuz you didnt mention anything in the OP. But, come to think of it, I still haven't played a VN with focus on romance and at the same time has good romance. I'm playing now Hoshi Ori Yume Mirai, that is praised very much for its romance, so I'll see how it goes.
Apr 22, 2016 9:53 AM

Apr 2011
My preferred romance level would be 0. Unfortunately, people are easy suckers for romance, even if it's shit, so almost everyone feels the need to force it into their stories.
Apr 22, 2016 9:57 AM
Aug 2015
I don't care how much romance is in an anime as long as there is some and it is good. There are good anime without romance, but every anime would be better with at least a little good romance.
Apr 22, 2016 10:00 AM

Oct 2015
Insta-love/romance is a big no-no for me; I can't stand them. I prefer animes that have romance as a sub-thing and not the main focus. Of course if it's a romance anime I can't say the same, but I mostly watch shounen or seinen, and if unnecessary romance takes over the story, it's likely that I'll drop it unless the plot's so good that I can look past it. I hate it when the MC and his/her love interest already have a thing on the first ep, especially when they're just introduced to each other. I don't hate romance tho; I actually like it a lot when executed properly, but I tend to lean towards developed romance over time. The ones that take several episodes for the characters to realize they have feelings for another person.
Apr 22, 2016 10:03 AM
Apr 2015
Askorti said:
I disagree. I will take SAO romance over stuff like Kimi ni Todoke or Nisekoi any day of the week. It's nice to see some actual romance, where the MCs are shown you know... loving each other instead of being clueless like idiots or perpetually too shy to act on their feelings.

Drama? Suspense? There's no suspense in media, because at the end of the day, you know they will end up together, it's never the destination, it's always the journey that matters.

I do agree that having actual romance is better than two people being clueless, i.e Nisekoi (which I did mention to be infinitely annoying) so in a way, SAO romance is better than Nisekoi and the likes.

However, if you talk about the journey being what matters, then the SAO relationship didn't really have a journey in the first place. Why? They met, they feel in love, they do stuffs together, they think about one another and that's about it. They were flawless, complemented one another from the very beginning, they didn't have to work anything out throughout the series. There's no progress, no journey of trials and tribulation for us to wonder about.

Also, not every "couple" actually becomes a couple at the end. 5cm/s, Erased Satoru x Kayo, etc... Just saiyan
Apr 22, 2016 10:13 AM

Nov 2012
I prefer romance as a subplot that also ties to the character development and the themes of the story.
Apr 22, 2016 10:20 AM

Nov 2014
DrGeroCreation said:
Romance with no awkwardness, kissing is no big deal and that has sex. That kind of romance barely exists in anime though.

This.

Anime is so weird when it comes to romance and sex. They're either timid as hell about it, or they overload it with fetishes. They rarely show mature relationships. Even The Lion King did romance better and more intensely. Check out Nala's "I'm ready for sex" face at 1:53. And Simba doesn't freak out and run for the horizon. Instead they embrace. Fucking beautiful.

Apr 22, 2016 10:26 AM

Dec 2015
I really like romance, even Acchi Kocchi romance makes me go mad :3

Besides that one, i dont think i have seen a good romance animu with a cute/stunning af girl which would make me go *holy shit this is some waifu material right here!*
Apr 22, 2016 10:28 AM

Nov 2012
aikaflip said:
DrGeroCreation said:
Romance with no awkwardness, kissing is no big deal and that has sex. That kind of romance barely exists in anime though.

This.

Anime is so weird when it comes to romance and sex. They're either timid as hell about it, or they overload it with fetishes. They rarely show mature relationships. Even The Lion King did romance better and more intensely. Check out Nala's "I'm ready for sex" face at 1:53. And Simba doesn't freak out and run for the horizon. Instead they embrace. Fucking beautiful.

You should read Chikan Otoko, it's simple yet extremely well executed romance, it even has a sex scene that isn't overly fetished.
Apr 22, 2016 10:30 AM

Jul 2014
On a scale of 1-10, I like my romance at an 8.
Apr 22, 2016 10:34 AM

Nov 2014
SuperRed said:
aikaflip said:

This.

You should read Chikan Otoko, it's simple yet extremely well executed romance, it even has a sex scene that isn't overly fetished.

Molester Man, Loli Jugs, Miss Understanding... Hahaha. I'll add it anyway. Thanks.
Apr 22, 2016 10:37 AM

Nov 2008
Sakura Trick level of romance where there's constant kissing, holding, and loving and it has to be a sweet, heartmelting romance as well.

Apr 22, 2016 11:11 AM
Jul 2014
I always thought of myself as a guy who didn't like romance at all and watched lots of action and fighting in the anime that I watched but my god. I decided to randomly watch Amagami SS and that shit had me crying and awwwing everywhere haha. I guess maybe I have liked romance all this time X) Anyone know of any similar things to Amagami? I just finished it and am super sad it's over ;(
Apr 22, 2016 11:33 AM

Jan 2013
aikaflip said:
DrGeroCreation said:

This.

Isn't that just in a movie though? Is that a fair comparison?

I liked how the romance was handled in Summer Wars more than I liked how the romance was done in Lion King by like a million.

ChaosToGo said:
I always thought of myself as a guy who didn't like romance at all and watched lots of action and fighting in the anime that I watched but my god. I decided to randomly watch Amagami SS and that shit had me crying and awwwing everywhere haha. I guess maybe I have liked romance all this time X) Anyone know of any similar things to Amagami? I just finished it and am super sad it's over ;(

Honestly... Amagami's special. It has a bunch of small plotlines that are really nice.

Hmmm... I think one of the more fulfilling romances I've seen include Clannad and Sakurasou Na pet kanojo, but romance is a subplot in that one. Nah... I'm sorry. I can't really think of too many anime with love as the main plot as good as Amagami.
Apr 22, 2016 11:55 AM

Mar 2015
I have zero patience for high school romance. I just can't handle all the teenage drama and the angsty internal monologues. Though once I start those anime, I finish them... Anime like Say I Love You, Ao Haru Ride, Peach Girl, Bokura ga Ita, Your Lie in April, etc, drive me crazy. Then there are ones where the girl's practically a doormat, like Itazura na Kiss. I just can't even.

Of high school romance anime, I liked Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun, Kaichou wa Maid-sama, Toradora, and Ouran High School Host Club (there's barely any romance, but it's somewhat romantic?).

These days, I'm all for slice-of-life with adults (and main/sub-plot romance). I like romance that takes time to develop. When the characters immediately profess their love for each other and then it's just lovey-dovey crap, I lose interest. Especially if they spend like 10 mins with each other and declare immortal love... Just no.

These aren't perfect, but I loved them: Natsuyuki Rendezvous, Rec, Princess Jellyfish (woefully short and incomplete, but lovely to watch), Nodame Cantabile (though Chiaki annoyed me to no end with his stupid attitude), Library Wars, Kobato... There should be many, many more of these! :(
Apr 22, 2016 11:56 AM
Jul 2014
Haha no problems. I had a feeling Amagami was something special. I'm really sad it's over but also happy because it was amazing.
Jan 2016
Tentology said:
Askorti said:
I disagree. I will take SAO romance over stuff like Kimi ni Todoke or Nisekoi any day of the week. It's nice to see some actual romance, where the MCs are shown you know... loving each other instead of being clueless like idiots or perpetually too shy to act on their feelings.

Drama? Suspense? There's no suspense in media, because at the end of the day, you know they will end up together, it's never the destination, it's always the journey that matters.

I do agree that having actual romance is better than two people being clueless, i.e Nisekoi (which I did mention to be infinitely annoying) so in a way, SAO romance is better than Nisekoi and the likes.

However, if you talk about the journey being what matters, then the SAO relationship didn't really have a journey in the first place. Why? They met, they feel in love, they do stuffs together, they think about one another and that's about it. They were flawless, complemented one another from the very beginning, they didn't have to work anything out throughout the series. There's no progress, no journey of trials and tribulation for us to wonder about.

Also, not every "couple" actually becomes a couple at the end. 5cm/s, Erased Satoru x Kayo, etc... Just saiyan

Wouldn't you say that it's a nice breath of fresh air? It's nice to see a relationship that actually works, not something like in Zero no Tsukaima where the relationship is... Abusive to say the least.
Also, didn't have to work anything out? I would say that coping with being stuck in a death game, with each boss fight being a huge risk is quite something to work out, especially at the end, where Kirito was pretty desperate to keep Asuna alive.
Later he was completely focused on breaking her out. That's quite something to work through and not give up. Later Asuna had to deal with Kirito potentially risking his life again in GGO and the fact that her family didn't approve of him and tried to get her engaged to someone again.
And now, in the novels we have A LOT of drama surrounding them. Just because they're perfect for each other doesn't mean that their relationship is fee of worry.

My general point is, that it's really nice to see a relationship that is actually there, with both parties showing affection for each other instead of being all shy about it and there NOT being constant issues with them.
Because lets be honest, many of the anime relationships would've never worked if the "anime world" was at least a tiny bit more similar to the real world.

Nov 2014
TitanAnteus said:

I liked how the romance was handled in Summer Wars more than I liked how the romance was done in Lion King by like a million.

I think it's fair.

This is exactly what I don't like about most romance anime. The romance is rarely taken seriously or far enough. I want to see two (or more) people meet, build a relationship, hug, hold hands, kiss, and maybe have some sex. I don't think I've ever seen this in an anime, but it has happened in a couple of the manga I've read like Octave.
Apr 22, 2016 12:03 PM

Jan 2013
aikaflip said:
TitanAnteus said:

I think it's fair.

This is exactly what I don't like about most romance anime. The romance is rarely taken seriously or far enough. I want to see two (or more) people meet, build a relationship, hug, hold hands, kiss, and maybe have some sex. I don't think I've ever seen this in an anime, but it has happened in a couple of the manga I've read like Octave.

He got a nosebleed from focusing too much on the math problems he was solving. The kiss death + nosebleed was to show that they had passed the climax and that he could relax while being a quick nod to old style comedy in romance.

Still though, summer wars treated that relationship pretty maturely. He liked her, but she liked the ideal image of one of her second uncles. Her first love. He wanted to prove himself but didn't know how against this uncle, but that was a direct parallel with this uncle since he ALSO wanted to prove himself amongst his ridiculously esteemed family.

What she was in love with was not the protagonist's smarts, because he was always smart and she knew that, but his surprising amount of confidence and guts. At the end, where every other competent person has literally brought in satellites and shit, he's thinking about his own role and how insignificant it is. It parallel's directly with how he thinks the girl feels about him, but he steps up. He mans up and this parallel goes full strength with how the girl sees him.

I don't know.

I feel like it's a better message, than look it's the Prince's childhood friend coming to get him back for the tribe. Oh btw, now that they're adults of course they have to see each other sexually and bone on first sight.

Like... loving someone who's not in love with you. And for girls to say it's ok to fall in love with qualities and not just dwell on a person.
TitanAnteusApr 22, 2016 12:14 PM
Apr 22, 2016 12:13 PM

Dec 2013
I've seen quite a few romance anime with intimacy and/or implied sex, and while such 'payoffs' are a step in the right direction, the journey (rather than the destination) is the meat of the genre. Now that I've branched out into Jdrama, it's far more apparent why anime mostly fails at romance lol.
Apr 22, 2016 12:30 PM

May 2015
I like cute interactions that develop naturally, and as others have said, don't drag on for unbelievable lengths.

I don't like when a romance is too overblown and melodramatic to really be realistic, ones that are drawn out to stupid extremes (*cough* NISEKOI *cough*) or when a romantic subplot steals the focus of a non-romance genre series.
Apr 22, 2016 12:46 PM

Feb 2015
Protaku said:
I like a romance that actually goes somewhere, not just "M-My crush just glanced in my direction. Time to not approach them ever."

I agree, I'm not a fan of shows that have unnecessary drama and romance plots that never lead anywhere.
Apr 22, 2016 12:56 PM

Oct 2015
I personally don't care about romance but if it's over the top than it's just annoying.

I've watched animes with no romance and liked them.
Apr 22, 2016 2:20 PM

Dec 2015
I like overpowered guys who protect the girl and I'm also fond of reverse harems as long as there's a "protect the girl" air to them, but I don't like when the romance is gushy and full of the couple professing their love for each other.

One of the reasons I still adore the KeikoxYusuke ship is because of how laid-back it was. That they loved each other was obvious but they didn't spend time dramatizing it.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Does Watching YTVideos/TikTok make you an Anime Fan?

BerriesSan - 6 hours ago

20 by eblf2013 »»
3 minutes ago

» Have you ever struggled to rate a show?

Jackson1333 - 12 hours ago

24 by perseii »»
12 minutes ago

» Why doesn't Hollywood take risk anymore unlike the anime industry?

Spunkert - 4 hours ago

22 by rohan121 »»
17 minutes ago

» Animew Stater Pack ( 1 2 )

Kirika_Madeleine - Sep 16

81 by JoeChip »»
22 minutes ago

» Misleading, out of context, or outright fake knowledge about various titles ( 1 2 )

RobertBobert - Yesterday

82 by Noboru »»
27 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.