Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (19) « First ... « 7 8 [9] 10 11 » ... Last »
Apr 8, 2016 9:46 AM
Jul 2018
I smell a lot of leftist themes. And I love it.

It's also not as AoT as it looked.
Apr 8, 2016 9:49 AM
May 2011
Rachmaninow said:
How can this series have an 8+ rating already? Are people really that delusional or do they simply like to jump the gun?

There's virtually nothing indicating that the train series will be any good other than the blatantly obvious Shingeki no Kyojin connections. Once it establishes itself as an own series, we can talk but for now there's nothing special about it.

Naturally, I intend to watch a few more episodes before deciding myself, mind you.

Attack on Titan wasn't good though.
Apr 8, 2016 10:00 AM

Apr 2014
So I won't follow this weekly but I'll get back to it sometime in the future.
This episode was entertaining despite a few annoyances concerning the direction of the plot. I guess it's one of those shows you just have to not think too much about it.
The whole steam punk aesthetic was really beautiful and I think the character designs fit well with what they are trying to do.
MC was pretty insane through the whole episode. Kinda made me feel uncomfortable when he was trying to hang himself in order to stop the virus. O.o
Apr 8, 2016 10:02 AM

Sep 2010
If I got a dollar for each time some says AoT in this thread, I wouldn't have to pay my college tuition anymore.
Apr 8, 2016 10:03 AM

Mar 2014
bastek66 said:
TYxTxYT said:

Yeah like not having the midnight train to stop before letting the bridge down, that will totally get explained later right? s/

That was expected to arrive? Do you even watch the show?
That excuse is bullshit though

Because like I said to Tsudecimo
Lol, that doesn't excuse shit, if they had truly wanted to protect themselves then they should've applied the same safety measures to all trains, not just the early ones
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Apr 8, 2016 10:03 AM

Jul 2007
MostCuriousThing said:
L-Ryoshi said:
It feels like anyone who uses SnK to describe this show is seriously limited in their anime knowledge.

Well, it's built on a foundation of SnK money stacks and therefore caters to the same demographic. It's a SnK clone by design. Aesthetically, yeah, it's more similar to the likes of Mononoke-hime, but it *obviously* plays off of SnK's plot.

Which plays off every single zombie movie's plot, while riping off Tsutomu Nihei's works at the same time.

This show is not SNK clone because SNK did not invent anything. The similarities are derivative elements due to genre tropes.

logic340 said:

-The walled in City
-Humanity pushed to the brink of extinction by an enemy the eats humans
-The enemy getting into the city just before the end of the episode
-The wall around the city felt like AOT
-Only certain people skilled enough to actually combat the enemy
-You can only kill them one way using a special weapon.
-Mystery surrounding the MC related to the enemy

So basically what you are saying this is a rip off of The Matrix?

You do realize that I can literally list at least ten books movies or tv shows off the bat that have premises like that since:
- Half of them are very common for apocalypse setting
- The other half of them are the very basic zombie genre staples.

Hell there are thousands of books released with that premise. Its VERY common concept
Apr 8, 2016 10:12 AM

Feb 2012
Fai said:
Which plays off every single zombie movie's plot, while riping off Tsutomu Nihei's works at the same time.

This show is not SNK clone because SNK did not invent anything. The similarities are derivative elements due to genre tropes.

Look, I don't disagree with you, and I'm not commenting on the originality (or lack thereof) of either SnK or KnK. What I'm saying is KnK is a SnK clone by *design*. It's a big-budget anime original that only exists because it's playing off of the heaps of money in the SnK fanbase. It's *intended* to be a SnK clone—I'm speaking matter-of-factly here.
Apr 8, 2016 10:15 AM

Mar 2011
Fai said:
allewn said:
okay i see people complaining about how in the beginning of the episode we learn that you need to blow up your heart if you don't want to turn into a kabane but then ikoma suppresses the virus by not letting it get to his brain, and that people haven't figured out any proper ways to deal with the kabane in 20 years. so this is how it made sense to me.

Again. Most of that is wrong assumptions.

- They shoot the heart because that's how you kill the kabane. ITs a precaution in case you already turned too much. The Brain is what controls your body. As long as it does not reach the brain you would not become a monster. So the virus was not "eradicated". It simply went into gestation period.
- They have ways of defeating them, but it is not efficient. And its freaking medieval japan so obviously they think those are some supernatural curse.

well, i did mean "losing control" by "not turning into a kabane". imo if you're still capable of thought you're still a human, so if you kill yourself you won't become a kabane. it's the same even if your heart had already turned into that of a kabane, if you haven't lost control of yourself you're not a "proper" kabane yet. also in the part you quoted i only say what i saw other people say. you probably didn't read my whole message or i didn't express myself clearly enough.
Apr 8, 2016 10:22 AM

Sep 2013
Fai said:
Its sad that people who don't know any better will label this as AOT clone, when its nothing of the sort. Its a zombie apocalypse story in steampunk Japan.

Then again AOT was not that original in the first place, so it makes sense for those less well-versed infiction to compare things to it.

Once again you baffle me, Fai.
It's an anime about a technologically underdeveloped society attempting to hold back against an imposing threat of mindless attackers who invade the city and force the people into a desperate struggle for survival while raising questions of moral ambiguity in the face of possible death. Both this and AoT seem to have panic as one of the central themes, and what some people are capable of doing out of fear.

No one is claiming AoT was original - and it doesn't matter even if it was. This is clearly is appealing to the same people and has very similar themes.
This isn't even getting into the details like the director, certain plot points, cinematography and art style - all of which are very reminiscent of AoT
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 8, 2016 10:23 AM
May 2011
Mickdrew said:
Fai said:
Its sad that people who don't know any better will label this as AOT clone, when its nothing of the sort. Its a zombie apocalypse story in steampunk Japan.

Then again AOT was not that original in the first place, so it makes sense for those less well-versed infiction to compare things to it.

Once again you baffle me, Fai.
It's an anime about a technologically underdeveloped society attempting to hold back against an imposing threat of mindless attackers who invade the city and force the people into a desperate struggle for survival while raising questions of moral ambiguity in the face of possible death. Both this and AoT seem to have panic as one of the central themes, and what some people are capable of doing out of fear.

No one is claiming AoT was original - and it doesn't matter even if it was. This is clearly is appealing to the same people and has very similar themes.
This isn't even getting into the details like the director, certain plot points, cinematography and art style - all of which are very reminiscent of AoT

You might want to back track on the art style being similar.
Apr 8, 2016 10:24 AM
May 2015
Its anime science as long as it looks cool and is enjoyable its acceptable
Apr 8, 2016 10:27 AM

Sep 2013
Gridfire said:

You might want to back track on the art style being similar.

Eh? Whatever, the art style isn't a big point anyway and not the crux of my argument.

And if people are going to use it as a red herring to argue against what I'm saying, I will gladly concede it.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 8, 2016 10:29 AM

Jul 2007
Mickdrew said:

So its the Walking Dead?
OR since we are talking about anime, less raunchier Highschool of the Dead?
Or wait, less smart and more actiony Gakkou Gurashi?
Or every single zombie movie
Or half the alien invasion novels.

Labeling this the same is no different than claiming than Gundam, Macross and Valvrape are identical because they are about war with giant robots.

Again, this director is known to do same thing in all of his works. Don't care enough to post that work comparison chart from few years back.

Also Similar art style? LOL.
Apr 8, 2016 10:34 AM

Sep 2013
Fai said:
Mickdrew said:

So its the Walking Dead?

If this isn't a lazy rehashing of what AoT is, then nothing can ever be called a rehashing.

No matter how similar something is in concept, just draw comparisons with several other works of fiction that aren't relevant and you've proven it isn't a rehashing.
Apr 8, 2016 10:35 AM

Apr 2015
bastek66 said:
TYxTxYT said:

Yeah like not having the midnight train to stop before letting the bridge down, that will totally get explained later right? s/

That was expected to arrive? Do you even watch the show?

The question is did you even watch the show?
The procedure as presented is to have the train stop, give signals to prove safety, then lower the bridge.
Fucking train ramming at you at 110 miles/h, gotta lower that bridge before it's out of the tunnel. It seems your intelligence is on par with that dude who handled the bridge.
befriend (v.): To violently attack someone with very dangerous and extremely powerful blasts of magical pink light until your target sees the validity of your viewpoint.
Apr 8, 2016 10:35 AM
Oct 2012
so far nothing special.
cant help but comparing with snk.
it was ok for the first episode.
hope to be better next one
Apr 8, 2016 10:37 AM
May 2009
jojo_kyle said:
Vanisher said:
The train breakthrough and the MC stoping the virus were really bad done.

This isn't even like SnK where they were at peace for 100 years, they literally said that another station was just destroyed, it makes no fucking sense for them to not be careful.

You've got to be joking, both scenes where amazing intense and well done.
No one ever expected the kabane to hijack a train and the workers where just following the schedule.

I see your point, but if I was living in a world where humans were on the verge of extinction, I would be super paranoid. I would not operate a train as they do today (where there are no zombies). Let me elaborate:

To me, it seemed as if the anime is trying to show how paranoid people are of the zombies - even one sign that someone has been infected, and boom, they usually kill them or have them commit suicide. Thus, it doesn't exactly make sense that these paranoid people would let a train in without an inspection, simply because it's on schedule and they don't expect zombies to be able to operate it. Always prepare for the worst scenario. The train entry point is very obviously the weak link in the walled city. Thus, we can't expect people living through a zombie apocalypse to follow the same train procedures we have in our world today.

With that said, I still enjoyed the show but I just have to admit there are some logical flaws. Nonetheless, I am still able to enjoy a show without it completely making sense, that's partly what fiction is.
Apr 8, 2016 10:42 AM

Aug 2008
@Gridfire Even if going outside could attract them (although so far the seem to go after fresh blood more) visual confirmation and a little time delay would suffice. The literal trainwreck was rather forced or at least poorly done no matter how you look at it. Had it been done well, it wouldn't break the suspension of disbelief and you wouldn't see so many criticising comments.
Ii tenki desu ne...
Apr 8, 2016 10:46 AM
May 2011
Antanaru said:
@Gridfire Even if going outside could attract them (although so far the seem to go after fresh blood more) visual confirmation and a little time delay would suffice. The literal trainwreck was rather forced or at least poorly done no matter how you look at it. Had it been done well, it wouldn't break the suspension of disbelief and you wouldn't see so many criticising comments.

I question what proportion of people's belief it actually suspended given the rating distribution for this episode. And besides, that's not how it works. When designing a system like that, of course you'll try to anticipate every possible scenario but inventing ways to break your system is much more difficult than using hindsight based on previous experiences. I think those who picked up on that scene probably can't distinguish anticipation and hindsight.
Apr 8, 2016 10:49 AM

Sep 2013
Oh well, despite obvious comparisons, I did like this episode.
Interested to see where this goes 4/5
Apr 8, 2016 10:50 AM
Jun 2015
sillyanna said:

I see your point, but if I was living in a world where humans were on the verge of extinction, I would be super paranoid. I would not operate a train as they do today (where there are no zombies). Let me elaborate:

To me, it seemed as if the anime is trying to show how paranoid people are of the zombies - even one sign that someone has been infected, and boom, they usually kill them or have them commit suicide. Thus, it doesn't exactly make sense that these paranoid people would let a train in without an inspection, simply because it's on schedule and they don't expect zombies to be able to operate it. Always prepare for the worst scenario. The train entry point is very obviously the weak link in the walled city. Thus, we can't expect people living through a zombie apocalypse to follow the same train procedures we have in our world today.

I think they just made in honest mistake, In the show the Walking Dead, most of the mistakes happen because the group becomes complacent and forgets the danger of the outside world. A bridge operator is probably not as worried and on edge as a train passenger.
Apr 8, 2016 10:53 AM

Nov 2015
Atlast I saw it, good episode but it has pacing issues I must say.
It was too quick to show the virus revert back from Ikoma's body but was so damn cool!
The action was great, the gore content intact, and the music is fair (will improve probably).
At first I didn't liked Mumei but after the head kick (lol) she is now interesting.
The anime will remind of AoT, with similar visuals (the station covered with walls), the MC with a troubled past, and his special ability perhaps?
It kind of reminds of the movie Snowpiercer with the train Koutetsujou the main focus of the anime.
Amazing kick start to such a hyped show this season! Let the hype train gain speed (pun!)
Apr 8, 2016 10:58 AM

Nov 2007
Fai said:
Mickdrew said:

So its the Walking Dead?

Labeling this the same is no different than claiming than Gundam, Macross and Valvrape are identical because they are about war with giant robots.

Again, this director is known to do same thing in all of his works. Don't care enough to post that work comparison chart from few years back.

Also Similar art style? LOL.

It's not just the director Araki Tetsurou.

Mima Masafumi
Sawano Hiroyuki
Asano Kyoji
Hashimoto Satoshi
Tanaka Hiroyuki
Yamada Kazuhiro

and the list goes on. All of them worked on SnK and it's not like they all are from WIT Studio. They have worked with different production teams so they are more like freelancers in the business. The entire group of people came up with this anime because of he success of SnK.

Comparing Gundam and Macross doesn't cut it. One deals with conflict within human civilization while the other with direct confrontation with aliens. Valvrave is a lesser version of Gundam with added idiocy (vampire and immortality and stuff like that) but that is what set them apart.
No matter how you look at it, it needs to break out of the SnK mold within the next couple of episodes because it is extremely identical. And yes, the art is extremely similar. So is the animation style. Only the close capture of the characters are a bit different where they added the infamous Mikasa-lip-gloss to every character's face.
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Apr 8, 2016 11:07 AM
May 2009
15poundfish said:
sillyanna said:

I think they just made in honest mistake, In the show the Walking Dead, most of the mistakes happen because the group becomes complacent and forgets the danger of the outside world. A bridge operator is probably not as worried and on edge as a train passenger.

True, I acknowledge it could have been a mistake - it does happen from time to time. I think the bigger logical flaw is this so-called 'virus' rather than the train actually. Since viruses work by hijacking our cells, either by integrating into our DNA and replicating with our cells or by taking over cells' protein-making machinery, the virus is limited by what our cells can do. It seems like the virus in this show spreads extremely rapidly with no incubation period, which is really unrealistic (though there have been hints that for some patients, there is some incubation period). It also doesn't make sense that the MC's brain is spared but his body is infected. If the virus has infected all the other cells in his body, it could easily spread up his neck and to his brain especially if it travels through the bloodstream.

Anyway, oh well. The train I can explain away but the virus doesn't really have a legit explanation. REgardless, I'm still going to watch the show and enjoy it because I love zombies
Apr 8, 2016 11:19 AM

Aug 2014
I like this show so far!
the character designs are really unique and beautiful. I love the steampunk style and how handsome the main guy is. Appropriate and subtle uses of CGI too. The part where that girl uses her knife shoes was dope af

The only thing I do feel really cynical about is the fact that I have no idea how anything works in this world. I know it's just the beginning, but compared to SnK, SnK was easier to get a grasp of in the first episode. I understood how the government worked, how weapons work, and why they live how they do.
But with this show, I don't understand why they need the trains...and the gun the MC made was just confusing. It's like "I MAED a GOOD gun!!!!"...like who cares...??? Doesn't everyone else have guns...???? I also don't understand why the barrier they made was so easy to break through. Like the way they set up inspecting trains was really stupid tbh. It felt a little too fast too and way too convenient for everyone to get where they need to be.

I'm a little critical, but that doesn't mean this isn't completely unwatchable. Just a little confusing as a start. :-)
end my suffering
Apr 8, 2016 11:23 AM

Dec 2013
Liked it! The artstyle's pretty cool and the story feels very SnK-ish (who would've guessed, right?)
Definitely will continue watching this, especially because of the animation!

4/5 for this episode
Apr 8, 2016 11:26 AM

May 2015
As expected of Tetsurou, this first episode was pretty neat and bloody. It's also no surprise that the soundtrack was top notch as well, although the OP is kinda meh... Not liking any characters so far, except for the two girls and the MC. That guy had balls. Can't wait to see what this show will bring. Solid start.

Apr 8, 2016 11:26 AM

Aug 2014
Oh and ANOTHER thing

It looked really silly how the monsters can wield weapons and operate machinery. Idk it just looks kind of dumb to me. I personally find it scarier when monsters have no human characteristics at all except for the fact they look kind of like us, they're just wild and don't really care if they have to use their bare hands to tear you apart. (Kind of like a representation of what we truly are)
end my suffering
Apr 8, 2016 11:29 AM

Oct 2014
Coldblade said:
Horatio_Nelson said:
Edgy teenage anti-authority trash. The main character comes off as a whiny bitch. Seriously.
"Don't put the guy who might be a zombie into jail! Why? Because that would mean that we were living under a system of fear! There is no possible way that this system was put into place because the masses don't want anybody who might possibly be infected to be allowed into society!"
On top of that, the way he jumped in front of the soldiers, yelling at them to not throw their comrade in jail, is both nonsensical and hugely disrespectful in context. Those soldiers have been out in the wilderness, protecting that train and fighting the zombies (Kabane... sigh...). Those soldiers know that guy and the threat he represents way better than the protagonist. The fact that they even have the respect to throw their comrade in jail as opposed to putting a bullet in his head speaks massively in favor of the honor and intricacies of the authorities involved. Of course, the protagonist is immediately justified by the show, as the marked man is killed in a way that is indicative of him not being infected, and that automatically makes the authorities cowardly and evil. Typical teenage edgy trash.

I know, I know, Attack on Titan ripoffs are all Wit Studio is doing these day. But Attack on Titan was more subtle than this and Owari no Seraph had a more immediately interesting cast of characters, generic as they were. It seems that Wit Studio anime are going the way of Western Young Adult novels.

The soldiers were going to kill him without taking him in custody and observing him for three days, which was supposed to be a protocol to be followed. The protagonist was in fact telling the soldiers to do exactly that, and not asking for "him to not be put in jail". Watch that scene again.
I did. Sorry, I messed up. However, my point still stands. The show's anti authority message is almost comically overdone.
What Kabaneri Did Wrong:
- Edgelord protagonist
- Special snowflake girlfriend
- Giving humans powers
- Failing to create a unique/memorable setting

What Kabaneri Did Right:
Apr 8, 2016 11:47 AM
Mar 2015
Great start. Awesome integration of CG and 2-D animation; great soundtrack; intense, but not manufacturing controversy (which I think will be the problem with Joker Game); diverse characters, but not so diverse as to be edgyspecialsnowflakes...

I think this'll be the season favorite, though still waiting on Kiznaiver.
Apr 8, 2016 11:51 AM

Jul 2007
stndalonecomplex said:

It looked really silly how the monsters can wield weapons and operate machinery.

They never ever showed them doing that.
Apr 8, 2016 11:51 AM

Aug 2015
The Aura of Shingeki no Kyojin! :D
Ara Ara~
Apr 8, 2016 11:54 AM

Aug 2014
Fai said:
stndalonecomplex said:

It looked really silly how the monsters can wield weapons and operate machinery.

Then why were they blowing the train's whistle and one of them had some sort of machete when they were trying to kill MC?
end my suffering
Apr 8, 2016 11:58 AM

Mar 2014
bastek66 said:
They are also bunch of dicks if you haven't notice. They usually make mistakes.
You don't hire people who "usually make mistakes" to guard a bridge if means that one tiny little misstep could result in the end of your city

Especially not at night, when those safety measures should be extra important

For the third time if they had truly cared about their own safety then they wouldn't have done that
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Apr 8, 2016 12:06 PM

Jun 2015
The voice acting was pretty good. Visuals too. This anime is gonna get so overhyped.
:)
Apr 8, 2016 12:06 PM

Oct 2014
ヾ(☆∇☆)
Already over... give me more!
Apr 8, 2016 12:09 PM

Nov 2007
From the deleted topic:

I see where the OP was trying to find logic in an anime which is set in a world of fantasy filled with chaos and all. If I am to respond, I think most of the reasons they have put are because of the panic: letting one kill themselves when infected, not allowing anyone on board (still better handled than that Mikasa dealing with some noble guy with his goods stuck).

As for the kid reversing the infection, it has been portrayed already that he has been doing his own researches behind the knowledge of the elders (much like the will against those who preached for the walls in SnK) and they even showed him trying to hide a part of a Kabane because of his interest. I wouldn't be surprised if he figured the reversing out or at least gambled on it. The strangling arrangement already set so it means he already had some sort of idea. You want explanation of this after episode 1? This is not a 2 hour movie, but a premier episode (24 mins) of a 13 episode TV series.

The only thing that really bothered me is how they allow trains to enter (on time or not) without proper inspection. In a world where everything can fall apart, even the train stations didn't look secure enough. If they are to inspect, wouldn't it make more sense to isolate the train from the openings even if it meant to let it enter within the wall? What was the point of all these precautions when they had a flawed protocol and arrangement in place to inspect Kabane infection on board?

They need to work a bit more to make it look less edgy despite how they depicted that panic and fear drive people of this time. Blood splats and violence don't make a story great. It just adds a bit of adrenaline, but for now, I can tell that is the case for the most of us here in MAL.
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Apr 8, 2016 12:17 PM

Aug 2014
I wasn't expecting much but the episode was pretty damn badass. Production value in high and even the concept of steampunk samurai vs zombies is pretty rad. Sure this isn't going to be a masterpiece but expecting an enjoyable ride which is all I really want out of this show.

Anime is good, fucking deal with it.
Apr 8, 2016 12:17 PM

May 2009
Comic_Sans said:
bastek66 said:
They are also bunch of dicks if you haven't notice. They usually make mistakes.
You don't hire people who "usually make mistakes" to guard a bridge if means that one tiny little misstep could result in the end of your city

For the third time if they had truly cared about their own safety then they wouldn't have done that

But they all are dicks. Look how they treated naked guy or Ikoma.
Apr 8, 2016 12:19 PM

Mar 2014
bastek66 said:
Comic_Sans said:

But they all are dicks. Look how they treated naked guy or Ikoma.
Being a dick ≠ not caring about your own safety
Nico- said:
Apr 8, 2016 12:21 PM
Jun 2015
sillyanna said:

True, I acknowledge it could have been a mistake - it does happen from time to time. I think the bigger logical flaw is this so-called 'virus' rather than the train actually. Since viruses work by hijacking our cells, either by integrating into our DNA and replicating with our cells or by taking over cells' protein-making machinery, the virus is limited by what our cells can do. It seems like the virus in this show spreads extremely rapidly with no incubation period, which is really unrealistic (though there have been hints that for some patients, there is some incubation period). It also doesn't make sense that the MC's brain is spared but his body is infected. If the virus has infected all the other cells in his body, it could easily spread up his neck and to his brain especially if it travels through the bloodstream.

Anyway, oh well. The train I can explain away but the virus doesn't really have a legit explanation. REgardless, I'm still going to watch the show and enjoy it because I love zombies
The science in the anime is bad, there is no argument there. I don't think the show is meant to be realistic but a lot of the criticism of this first episode could be applied to any zombie show.
Apr 8, 2016 12:21 PM

Jul 2007
stndalonecomplex said:
Fai said:

Then why were they blowing the train's whistle and one of them had some sort of machete when they were trying to kill MC?

The train whistle was being blown by the train driver that ha his hand stuck on the handle and was in process of being eaten.
Apr 8, 2016 12:23 PM

Aug 2008
Gridfire said:
Antanaru said:

I question what proportion of people's belief it actually suspended given the rating distribution for this episode. And besides, that's not how it works. When designing a system like that, of course you'll try to anticipate every possible scenario but inventing ways to break your system is much more difficult than using hindsight based on previous experiences. I think those who picked up on that scene probably can't distinguish anticipation and hindsight.
You can't explain it with a hindsight in the face of risk of that scale. Operating the bridge and procedure of train entry is a matter of life and death for the whole colony and what was presented to us was plain idiocy that can be explain only by plot convenience. Another thing is that people in that world probably can't afford the luxury of hindsight because they would be dead before saying "you know, maybe..."
Ii tenki desu ne...
Apr 8, 2016 12:39 PM

Feb 2015
the first episode was not really that hype like what i expected to be, but that was hyped indeed, and very interesting even tho it was a little bit similar to SnK. What i like about the first episode is the MC. My god the MC is so badass. i don't really know what he did to his arm, but he hung himself so the virus won't reach his brain, and that determination or you can say courage, so freaking bad ass in my eyes. i think someone said the MC is badass too before i watched the first episode and yeah...imo, the MC is badass indeed.

I wish they put 40min lenght or 1hr lenght for the first episode like Re:Zero, but either way, this episode was great. the soundtrack is so great as i expected from Egois. now i want to hear Aimer song in this anime...

Artstyle looks unique. a little bit similiar to SnK but this one is a little bit different from SnK, and i like it a lot, especially the character design. and i'm glad they didn't cencor anything in this episode unlike Terra Formars(even tho i have never watched that anime) :p

*hands up*
Great episode. Great Soundtrack. Great Animation. Great Action. Great Character.
Looking foward to the next episode :D
Apr 8, 2016 12:43 PM

Feb 2012
I love the art style a lot! Very gritty. Just from the first episode alone I think I like it better than SnK.
Apr 8, 2016 1:00 PM

Nov 2012
Looks awesome, but there are quite a few things that doesn't make sense...
Apr 8, 2016 1:12 PM

May 2013
I wonder if the protagonist is immune to the virus because he's special or because of what he did.
Apr 8, 2016 1:18 PM

Apr 2013
Swainy92 said:
Attack on Trains

That unexpectedly made me burst out into laughter.
Apr 8, 2016 1:21 PM

Oct 2013
Fai said:
keragamming said:

I agree with you that snk didn't create anything new per say, just like 99% of anime out there. But you can't deny that this was inspired by snk. I doubt they would even make a series like this if snk wasn't popular. Snk is what repopularized this gebre in anime.

Except that zombie craze has been going on for a while and there has been shitloads of zombie movies in past few years.

I dont get the "these guys always do the samething part" as in having stunning art and animation? Because there's few similarities between this and snk, and I'm pretty sure they purposely did it that way.

Director does not animate he directs. I don't think I need to explain that. And its very easy to notice who directs what

Just like you can recognize a Kubrick or Lynch movie, you can recognize an anime director(even if thats way lower talent level). Even via animators, its easy to feel Yutaka Nakamura working on a scene because of various elements like his love for yutapon cubes. .

Araki likes certain shots and certain tone of the work that he uses in absolutely everything he directs. They are in Death Note, they are in this, they are in kurozuka, they are in guilty crown, etc etc..

Likewise with composers, while some try to innovate, most of composers or overall musicians stay in their safezones - Metallica sounds like Metallica and that sort of thing.

Sawano has certain ropes he employs in everything he does - the same style orchestral cues, the same style broken german and english vocals etc. Just like with Kajiura Yuki, most of Sawano's songs sound the same be it a trainwrecky mecha tv show, Gundam or a freaking video game

I don't get why you are bringing up soundtracks in this? I'm pretty sure people are saying that certain scenes in the 1st episode looks prrtty similar to snk.

I'm not even disagreeing with you on your original points. All I'm saying certain scenes look very similar to snk, you're implying its all coincidence, because that's how it works in zombie movies/Araki directing it. But the fact that its made by the exact same staff as snk, lean me towards them purposely did that to give a similar vibes as snk.

You saying this didn't get any influence from snk is ridiculous. This genre wasn't even popular to begin with until snk came along, I doubt this wouldn't even exist today if snk wasn't a megahit series.

It's definitely not a rip off imo.
Apr 8, 2016 1:22 PM

Nov 2008
loved the first episode and just found it awesome. can't wait to see more.

Pages (19) « First ... « 7 8 [9] 10 11 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Koutetsujou no Kabaneri Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 26, 2016

368 by OlaEdu »»
Apr 29, 4:43 PM

Poll: » Koutetsujou no Kabaneri Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 19, 2016

545 by OlaEdu »»
Apr 29, 4:03 PM

Poll: » Koutetsujou no Kabaneri Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Jarjaxle - May 5, 2016

615 by wallus81 »»
Apr 29, 1:25 AM

Poll: » Koutetsujou no Kabaneri Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 14, 2016

790 by wallus81 »»
Apr 24, 1:58 AM

Poll: » Koutetsujou no Kabaneri Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 9, 2016

524 by FedeMetal »»
Apr 1, 8:22 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.