Forum Settings
Forums
New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (19) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Jan 12, 2016 6:23 AM

Oct 2009
sorafleurs said:
haru_chan90 said:
recommend me a manga for the challenge please?
something horror/psychological and not more than 100 chapters

Uzumaki- horror + psychological
Doubt - horror
Nijigahara Holograph - a more psychological read which you can do (and should do) in one sitting but often people complain its not very straightforward, up to your personal preferences

ohh thanks ! i will give Nijigahara Holograph a try.
the plot sounds a bit disturbing though XD
" Have some adventure while you can, and then start to figure things out"
5 Centimeters per Second

Jan 12, 2016 7:18 AM

Apr 2013
Monstrum said:
HeNrYTG50 said:
Hey there! Could anyone help me out on this one? :)

>Read a manga recommended to you by another Manga Reading Challenge participant

Don't mind the length, but I expect a great read.. :D

Monster. Rest assured for the greatest read of your life.

Nice! Finally have a real reason to start reading it.. :D Thanks.. ;)
Jan 12, 2016 6:12 PM

Feb 2015
Is Tokyo Ghoul a valid manga applicable for this challenge? I think TG was based from a one-shot?
» Read a manga based on a one-shot that got serialized.
Jan 12, 2016 6:22 PM

Apr 2013
Monstrum said:
Is Tokyo Ghoul a valid manga applicable for this challenge? I think TG was based from a one-shot?
» Read a manga based on a one-shot that got serialized.

I would guess it is, One Shot
Jan 13, 2016 8:40 AM

Jun 2014
@hamaon
tried Annarasumanara, didn't like it, if anyone has any other recs, that would be awesome~

Look alive sunshine!
The future is bulletproof
The aftermath is secondary
Its time to do it now and do it loud
Killjoys! Make some noise!
Jan 13, 2016 2:03 PM
Jul 2018
Brand said:
hamaon
 » Read a manga with children as the main cast: Otaku no Musume-san
 » Read a manga recommended to you by another Manga Reading Challenge participant: Kimi wa Pet (one of my all time favs)

Cool, thanks! I've been meaning to pick up Kimi wa Pet for a while, and the other one sounds like it might be good too.

Still need some help with this category:
» Read a manga that focuses on non-romantic relationships
Jan 13, 2016 2:06 PM

Sep 2013
gummyghost said:
@hamaon
tried Annarasumanara, didn't like it, if anyone has any other recs, that would be awesome~

Maybe something like Shiki no Zenjitsu? It's josei and a collection of short stories. It's pretty short so even if you don't like it, it shouldn't be too much trouble to finish.

Could anyone give me a recommendation? I'm down for anything that's completed.
Jan 13, 2016 2:57 PM
Jul 2018
sayanas said:

Could anyone give me a recommendation? I'm down for anything that's completed.

Battle Angel Alita
Jan 13, 2016 3:12 PM

Feb 2008
Not sure if someone asked, but when u ask for a manga... does it have to be one or it can also be a manhwa and manhua o.o

Jan 13, 2016 3:27 PM

Oct 2007
katedadevil said:
Not sure if someone asked, but when u ask for a manga... does it have to be one or it can also be a manhwa and manhua o.o

It can be manga, manhua or manhwa. It cannot be a light novel.
密室殺人はなぜ美しいのか。
Jan 13, 2016 3:32 PM

Mar 2013
hamaon said:

Still need some help with this category:
» Read a manga that focuses on non-romantic relationships

Give Kuroko no Basket a shot. That fits.
Jan 13, 2016 3:48 PM

Apr 2014
tsuyokunaru said:
And it can be a one shot too right ? I had a slight doubt last day when I used a one shot for "Read a manga from the recently reviewed list" .
Jan 13, 2016 6:43 PM

Aug 2013
Choose a random trope from TVTropes and read a manga listed under the trope

So I got Sexbot as my random TV Trope.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Sexbot

This will be interesting. Any suggestions?
Jan 13, 2016 7:02 PM
Feb 2014
i only use mal to keep track of my anime. is it still ok to participate if my manga list is empty? needless to say, i'd update it as i read for the challenge.
Jan 13, 2016 7:23 PM

Jan 2010
» Read a manga recommended to you by another Manga Reading Challenge participant

Pls?? rn I prefer bl, shoujo-ai, or josei and less than 50 chs would be ideal
Jan 13, 2016 7:55 PM

Mar 2013
Wimwinkle said:
Choose a random trope from TVTropes and read a manga listed under the trope

So I got Sexbot as my random TV Trope.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Sexbot

This will be interesting. Any suggestions?

Ghost in shell seems like the best thing there.
Jan 13, 2016 9:28 PM

Aug 2012
kouzu said:
i only use mal to keep track of my anime. is it still ok to participate if my manga list is empty? needless to say, i'd update it as i read for the challenge.

Yeah, you can still participate. This challenge could also be used for people who don't really read manga or are starting out and would like to get help in getting started.

For this: Read a manga that has been on your Plan to Read list for too long, you should choose a few series and just add them to your PTR and then read them later in the year. That way it could be applicable.
Jan 14, 2016 11:47 AM

Jan 2015
I've been having a blast. Everything I've read so far for the challenge has been really interesting, even the series I'd never heard of before. It's been a fun way for me to get off my butt and actually start posting. Anyone want to recommend something? I'll read pretty much anything.

My Manga / Light Novel Collection: EN | FR | LN
Jan 14, 2016 3:40 PM

Aug 2013
Horkus said:
I've been having a blast. Everything I've read so far for the challenge has been really interesting, even the series I'd never heard of before. It's been a fun way for me to get off my butt and actually start posting. Anyone want to recommend something? I'll read pretty much anything.

Try these.

A Lollypop or A Bullet
Sayonara Piano Sonata
Conductor
World End Garden
Jan 15, 2016 5:21 AM

Oct 2007
Dullboy said:
tsuyokunaru said:
And it can be a one shot too right ? I had a slight doubt last day when I used a one shot for "Read a manga from the recently reviewed list" .

Yeah, it can also be a one-shot. There's no problem with that.

Pantsu said:
» Read a manga recommended to you by another Manga Reading Challenge participant

Pls?? rn I prefer bl, shoujo-ai, or josei and less than 50 chs would be ideal

I'm in a bit of a hurry, so I can't link right now. I hope you don't mind if I just give you titles?
For Josei: Ashita no Ousama or Helter Skelter, for Shoujo-ai: Double House, for BL: Tonari no Kare, Kikoenai Koe (not sure if you'd like the art for either?).
密室殺人はなぜ美しいのか。
Jan 15, 2016 6:33 AM

Jul 2014

recommendations please, max 5 volumes
Jan 15, 2016 10:41 AM
Is a Hidden Gem

Aug 2007
virtual_core said:

recommendations please, max 5 volumes

You have Tomie on your PTR. Some classic horror crack from Junji Ito. So I recommend that.
Jan 15, 2016 11:00 AM

Jul 2014
Brand said:
You have Tomie on your PTR. Some classic horror crack from Junji Ito. So I recommend that.

Tomie is already on my form "manga published before 1990" xD
almost everything on my PTR is on the form
Jan 15, 2016 1:14 PM

Jan 2010
tsuyokunaru said:

I'm in a bit of a hurry, so I can't link right now. I hope you don't mind if I just give you titles?
For Josei: Ashita no Ousama or Helter Skelter, for Shoujo-ai: Double House, for BL: Tonari no Kare, Kikoenai Koe (not sure if you'd like the art for either?).

Thanks, i'll check out double house and kikoenai koe~

» Read a manga published in the same magazine in which your favorite one was serialized

Can someone pls clarify this one for me??
Jan 15, 2016 1:19 PM

Jul 2014
@tsuyokunaru thanks, I'm going with Coelacanth
Jan 15, 2016 1:23 PM
Feb 2014
M00ner said:

Yeah, you can still participate. This challenge could also be used for people who don't really read manga or are starting out and would like to get help in getting started.

For this: Read a manga that has been on your Plan to Read list for too long, you should choose a few series and just add them to your PTR and then read them later in the year. That way it could be applicable.

oh ok, thanks! it's not that i don't read manga (i've read way more manga than watched anime), i just prefer baka updates to keep track of what i read.
Jan 15, 2016 2:32 PM

Oct 2007
Pantsu said:
» Read a manga published in the same magazine in which your favorite one was serialized

Can someone pls clarify this one for me??

For example, let's consider Gakuen Alice which is listed as one of your favorites. If you go to its MAL page, the magazine where Gakuen Alice was originally serialized on (before being published as a volume) is Hana to Yume (you can find the magazine info below authors when the information is included in the database).

Then, if you click on the magazine's name, you get a bunch of other works that were also serialized in this magazine and you can read any of them for this item.
密室殺人はなぜ美しいのか。
Jan 16, 2016 12:22 AM

Nov 2011
Question about "read a manga from recently reviewed list".

How do we show this? Do we permalink the review and post the date (that corresponds with most recent chapter)?
Jan 16, 2016 12:44 AM

Mar 2013
I think we'll just take your word for it.
Jan 16, 2016 5:48 AM

Oct 2007
Stark700 said:

How do we show this? Do we permalink the review and post the date (that corresponds with most recent chapter)?

Haha as AudioTsunami says, we might sort of take your word for it, but in my case, I linked the review I used, the date it was reviewed and the day that I finished reading the manga. Another used posted a partial screenshot under a spoiler tag that showed the title and the date etc.
密室殺人はなぜ美しいのか。
Jan 16, 2016 6:46 AM

Nov 2011
tsuyokunaru said:
Stark700 said:

Haha as AudioTsunami says, we might sort of take your word for it, but in my case, I linked the review I used, the date it was reviewed and the day that I finished reading the manga. Another used posted a partial screenshot under a spoiler tag that showed the title and the date etc.

Well, there's a series that will probably get releases every month (including once this month already) and it was reviewed yesterday. I'll probably permalink it though.
Jan 16, 2016 8:00 AM
Apr 2013
Can someone plese help me with these?

» Read a manga published before 1980
 » Read a manga recommended to you by another Manga Reading Challenge participant:
» Read a manga that has a main character of gender opposite to the demographic: ( shounen I think )
  » Read a manga with adults as the main cast:

Sorry, I know there are allot.

Best Waifu: Holo - Spice and Wolf
Favorite Anime: Steins; Gate
Read my Wolf's Rain fanfic: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12618229/1/Finding-Paradise-Wolf-s-Rain
Jan 16, 2016 9:42 AM

Mar 2013
Okami1 said:
Can someone plese help me with these?

1» Read a manga published before 1980
 2» Read a manga recommended to you by another Manga Reading Challenge participant:
3» Read a manga that has a main character of gender opposite to the demographic: ( shounen I think )
  4» Read a manga with adults as the main cast:

Sorry, I know there are allot.

1. Ayako
2 Prison School if you're using ongoing, Onanie Master Kurosawa if you aren't
3. Amanchu if you're reading ongoing, Gunnm if not
4. Bambino
Jan 16, 2016 10:56 AM

Sep 2012
TOPIC: Read a manga published between 1990 and 2000

Does this mean I have to read one published between these dates or can it begin between these dates and end at a later year?

Also a recommendation for this challenge would be awesome!
momokusheilaJan 16, 2016 11:02 AM
Jan 16, 2016 11:47 AM

Oct 2007
momokusheila said:
TOPIC: Read a manga published between 1990 and 2000

Does this mean I have to read one published between these dates or can it begin between these dates and end at a later year?

Also a recommendation for this challenge would be awesome!

Well, the item may seem ambiguous and you have some leeway for it to finish in the early 2000s (like 2001 or 2002) but this was suggested with the purpose of getting an idea of what manga as an industry was like during that decade, more or less.

As for a rec, I'll be honest and say I haven't read much manga from this decade either oops, but some examples of acclaimed works include Sailor Moon, Yu Yu Hakusho, Slam Dunk, lots of stuff by CLAMP, etc. You may check this page as a guide and then check during what time the manga was originally running in the magazine where it was published.
密室殺人はなぜ美しいのか。
Jan 16, 2016 4:16 PM

Nov 2014
So, just a question:
"Ongoing manga can be used as long as you’re up to date with the latest released chapter when you turn in your challenge" - does it mean I must be up to date with the raw chapter, or may be with the translated one?

Also, can I get a recommendation from another participant - may be something that has demons, yokai, etc. or counts as sci-fi, mystery, horror or thriller.

crazyxitJan 16, 2016 4:24 PM
Jan 16, 2016 4:19 PM

Jun 2014
The same rules of 'the manga has to be started this year' still apply to the manga challenge right?

I didn't see a specification or FAQ for this one ,but I'm assuming it's the still the same thing with if I started it at the end of December it doesn't count.
Jan 16, 2016 5:53 PM

Oct 2007
crazyxit said:
So, just a question:
"Ongoing manga can be used as long as you’re up to date with the latest released chapter when you turn in your challenge" - does it mean I must be up to date with the raw chapter, or may be with the translated one?

It depends on if you're using raws, scanlations or print. If you're using raws, then the latest raw chapter, if you're using scanlation, the latest scanlated chapter and so on.

Jerkhov said:
The same rules of 'the manga has to be started this year' still apply to the manga challenge right?

I didn't see a specification or FAQ for this one ,but I'm assuming it's the still the same thing with if I started it at the end of December it doesn't count.

I haven't done a FAQ this year, but I might after seeing SheyCroix's one on the anime discussion haha.

Yes! The same rule applies as the challenge is supposed to be completely done on 2016. The only exception may be stuff you're picking up from on-hold, but I think it'd be dubious if you have something that you're halfway through and just finish it...

Also if you want to use things you have already started for other items, you'd be required to re-read all your previous progress.
omakaseJan 16, 2016 8:31 PM
密室殺人はなぜ美しいのか。
Jan 16, 2016 8:09 PM

Aug 2012
crazyxit said:
Also, can I get a recommendation from another participant - may be something that has demons, yokai, etc. or counts as sci-fi, mystery, horror or thriller.

Nura: Rise of the Yokai Clan
Jan 17, 2016 11:14 AM

Jan 2008
Anyone recommend a complete shojo (scanned or licensed) manga which hasn't been adapted to anything? Preferably around the 5-10 volume mark.
Jan 17, 2016 1:41 PM

Oct 2007
st_owly said:
Anyone recommend a complete shojo (scanned or licensed) manga which hasn't been adapted to anything? Preferably around the 5-10 volume mark.

Hana no Namae comes to mind
密室殺人はなぜ美しいのか。
Jan 17, 2016 2:51 PM

Jun 2014
st_owly said:

http://myanimelist.net/manga/373/Meteor_Methuselah
http://myanimelist.net/manga/12922/+C:_Sword_and_Cornett
http://myanimelist.net/manga/25970/Tokyo_Lastochika
Jan 18, 2016 12:34 AM

Jan 2011
Nearly done with Jojo.

Anyone wanna help out?

» Read a manga from a magazine with less than 250 titles listed in the database

So I noticed only Weekly Shounen Jump, Ribon Magazine, and Comic Megastore have over 250 titles, unless I'm misunderstanding this.
Jan 18, 2016 1:07 AM

Jun 2015
ReaperCreeper said:

Anyone wanna help out?

Maybe Kishuku Gakkou no Juliet? I just briefly looked at your manga list to see what you would like.

-
Anybody got anything for » Read a manga based on a one-shot that got serialized?
Jan 18, 2016 3:21 AM

May 2014
I need a few recommendations!

I like psychological/thriller/seinen the most, but anything you think I might like - based on my list - will do. Thanks!

Jan 18, 2016 5:09 AM

Mar 2013
st_owly said:

Orange works I think. It might be a tiny bit short.

ReaperCreeper said:
Nearly done with Jojo.

Anyone wanna help out?

» Read a manga from a magazine with less than 250 titles listed in the database

So I noticed only Weekly Shounen Jump, Ribon Magazine, and Comic Megastore have over 250 titles, unless I'm misunderstanding this.

Yeah I noticed that on the magazine numbers too, it seemed kinda weird.

ixaa said:

-
Anybody got anything for » Read a manga based on a one-shot that got serialized?

Haikyuu or Tokyo Ghoul are the 2 popular ones people are using.

coromandel said:

I like psychological/thriller/seinen the most, but anything you think I might like - based on my list - will do. Thanks!

Freesia. I didn't really like it because I honestly thought it was a little confusing, but you seem like you enjoy mindfuck/thriller/seinen stuff so it's probably right up your alley.
Jan 18, 2016 5:24 AM

Oct 2007

Yes. I'm evil and that was my point lol to read stuff from magazines with less items in the DB. I was going to make it 200, but then we agreed on 250.

ixaa said:

Beelzebub or Medaka Box count.

coromandel said:

From your PTR list: Doumu, Eden or Jisatsu Circle
Not on your PTR: Dragon Head, The Music of Marie
密室殺人はなぜ美しいのか。
Jan 18, 2016 8:12 AM

Jan 2010
ixaa said:

-

If you are looking for something shorter than the titles already mentioned you could read Kiben Gakuha, Yotsuya-senpai no Kaidan.
Jan 18, 2016 8:49 AM

Sep 2012
Does Nineteen, Twenty-One count for Adult characters the characters are 19 and 21.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (19) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Help Identifying Japanese Characters(Letters) in manga

JoestarEISH_020 - 5 hours ago

3 by JoestarEISH_020 »»
5 hours ago

Sticky: » The 'Help Identifying This Manga/Character' Thread v3 ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Mar 19, 2022

1088 by KeIIion »»
7 hours ago

» Top 100 manga evolution 2016-2023

Patatita - 7 hours ago

0 by Patatita »»
7 hours ago

» Why so much ntr in manhwa?

TheRacist11 - May 12

13 by Coaghim »»
Today, 5:00 AM

» When do you consider a manga to be "long" ( 1 2 )

Curlybrace101 - Sep 3, 2023

74 by Rhae »»
Today, 12:08 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.