Forum Settings
Forums
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (19) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
 
#1
Jan 5, 2016 2:07 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 1188


Thanks SheyCroix for the lovely image!

You may find the Sign Up thread (along with more information about this challenge) here!


Discussion is not required for completing the challenge. Use this thread to:

- Ask question related to the challenge.
- Ask for or give recommendations for items of the challenge list.
- Post your impressions about titles you’ve read for the challenge, if you wish to.
- Post badges donations for the challenge (you’re invited to!).

Avoid posting unrelated stuff to the challenge, i.e. unrelated manga to the challenge, chatting between users with unrelated purposes and so on.

Avoid posting spoilers when talking about a specific manga.

Use spoiler tags and @username mentions to keep things tidy and please edit your post instead of double-posting!

Frequently Asked Questions

A basic explanation on how to use Baka-Updates courtesy of @AudioTsunami:
Modified by omakase, Jun 23, 2017 12:23 PM
密室殺人はなぜ美しいのか。
 
#2
Jan 5, 2016 2:35 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 20866
So I just picked hard without really looking at the items. This is gonna be fun.

Come at me with any recommendations you got.
 
#3
Jan 5, 2016 2:48 PM
WATCH UMA MUSUME

Offline
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 12168
ReaperCreeper said:
Come at me with any recommendations you got.
jojos bizzare adventure
 
#4
Jan 5, 2016 3:41 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 18199
Is using stuff you re-read fine?

Also, like, if I'm caught up with an on-going and read a new chapter does that count?
Modified by Paulo27, Jan 5, 2016 3:43 PM
 
#5
Jan 5, 2016 3:51 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 18199
I saw that but I'm wondering if it's like "you can pick up a new ongoing manga and read and it's fine" or if just reading a chapter from something you're following is fine. :c
 
#6
Jan 5, 2016 4:04 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 20866
JOAOAA said:
ReaperCreeper said:
Come at me with any recommendations you got.
jojos bizzare adventure
I was planning too. An easy 8 items right there.
 
#7
Jan 5, 2016 4:35 PM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 267
Paulo27 said:
Is using stuff you re-read fine?

Also, like, if I'm caught up with an on-going and read a new chapter does that count?


According to the Sign-Up thread:
"Ongoing manga can be used as long as you’re up to date with the latest released chapter when you turn in your challenge."

Additionally, it would probably make sense to stick this thread at the top of the section like the sign-up thread as well.
 
#8
Jan 5, 2016 4:58 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 1188
Annuvin said:
tsuyokunaru said:
 » Watch a Historical, Military or Police manga
 » Watch a Sci-Fi, Space or Mecha manga
 » Watch a Dementia, Horror, Demons or Vampire manga
 » Watch a Mystery, Thriller or Psychological manga
 » Watch a Sports, Martial Arts, Cars or Games manga
 » Watch a Super Powers, Fantasy or Supernatural manga
 » Watch a Harem, Ecchi, Shoujo Ai or Shounen Ai manga

Think you got some typos in the sign-up form... or am I supposed to look at the images without reading for these? :F

Haha I'll edit that right now. That's what happens with copy&paste. Funny how no one caught that. Thanks!

Paulo27 said:
Is using stuff you re-read fine?

Also, like, if I'm caught up with an on-going and read a new chapter does that count?

You can use re-read stuff as long as you re-read it between January 1st and December 31st, 2016. Since EVERYTHING has to be read between those dates, ongoing manga that you're caught up to and read just one new chapter does not count UNLESS you re-read all of it.

delija9091 said:
Additionally, it would probably make sense to stick this thread at the top of the section like the sign-up thread as well.

We won't be doing that this year but you can easily find the discussion thread by following the link in the sign up thread.
密室殺人はなぜ美しいのか。
 
#9
Jan 5, 2016 5:00 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 20866
» Read a manga with a non-human main character

Does it have to be the main main character, or can it be like Iggy in Jojo?
 
Jan 5, 2016 5:06 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 1188
ReaperCreeper said:
» Read a manga with a non-human main character

Does it have to be the main main character, or can it be like Iggy in Jojo?

Well I don't think main character has to be the central protagonist, specially if it's a big cast. I'm not sure if Iggy counts though since I've only read early Jojo.
密室殺人はなぜ美しいのか。
 
Jan 5, 2016 5:19 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2013
Posts: 1469
Decent one-shot I can get through right now? Help a guy out.
 
Jan 5, 2016 5:22 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 20866
tsuyokunaru said:
ReaperCreeper said:
» Read a manga with a non-human main character

Does it have to be the main main character, or can it be like Iggy in Jojo?

Well I don't think main character has to be the central protagonist, specially if it's a big cast. I'm not sure if Iggy counts though since I've only read early Jojo.
Ah well thinking about it it probably wasn't the best example anyway seeing as he joins in halfway. Well I've got a few animal focused series on my ptr anyway.

Themisto said:
Decent one-shot I can get through right now? Help a guy out.
Umwelt
Kirisuke and Johnny, The Slaying of 499
 
Jan 5, 2016 5:41 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 10731
Who the hell thought of this?

"Choose a manga from the predicitve search using a generated random word"










Cause I found it to be really interesting and creative (◕‿◕✿)
 
Jan 5, 2016 6:06 PM

Offline
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 2030
That image is wonderful.
 
Jan 5, 2016 6:55 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2014
Posts: 370
I'm here ! I was supposed to go to sleep , and then what do I see ? The challenge is here !
Right now I should be sleeping and here I am writing in the thread at 3 past night . Thank you for ruining my night Tsuyokunaru ( I wasn't able to sleep without signing in anyway , I just had to) .
hahaha


Well , I'm really happy to be able to start it , but allow me to just point some things that kind of bothered me when I saw the sign up formular (every important forum threads need an annoying frenchy guy that come to complain about something , that's what I believe in , so alow me to be that guy) :

I see that now the challenge is official and as such was also officially planned this time . It's good that it can be made into something that is aknowledge and supported.. but I also see that a lot of the item that tsuyokunaru proposed and all of us discussed about (and we really had nice and very interesting share of views over it on the planning thread) where completely erased and dismissed , replaced with other ones that seems to come directly from the previous anime challenge of last year .

without going in to much detail , I could think of several items that bother me :


ok , enought for the annoying complains I made (I'm sorry) . Beside I know I'm going to enjoy to do the challenge very much .
I look forward to ask for recommendation and discuss about all the things we will be readings . I'll look this thread very frequently I think .

And now I go to sleep . I have to be ready to brainstorm all my little reading plans tomorrow and after . ^^
 
Jan 5, 2016 7:09 PM
Offline
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 387
» Choose a manga from the predicitve search using a generated random word:

I got priest LOL

So, do any of you know of any manga with priests? hahaha
 
Jan 5, 2016 7:20 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 1188
Mkim said:
Who the hell thought of this?
"Choose a manga from the predicitve search using a generated random word"
Cause I found it to be really interesting and creative (◕‿◕✿)

Kineta suggested it and I liked it!

@Dullboy

I really appreciate your kind words and I'm glad you're participating against this year even if it isn't entirely to your liking. You give awesome recs, so it's great to have you around!

aqualiv said:
» Choose a manga from the predicitve search using a generated random word:

I got priest LOL

So, do any of you know of any manga with priests? hahaha


Actually what you're supposed to do is change the drop down from anime to manga on the search bar (next to the top navigator menu on the website). Then you have to write "priest" there in the search word and do not hit enter. Wait a little bit and the list will expand with some titles and you have to choose something from there. It doesn't even need to have the word priest on the title!
Modified by omakase, Jan 5, 2016 7:22 PM
密室殺人はなぜ美しいのか。
 
Jan 5, 2016 7:44 PM
Offline
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 387
Ah, okay, I got it now, thanks!
Modified by aqualiv, Jan 5, 2016 7:49 PM
 
Jan 5, 2016 7:48 PM
Offline
Joined: Jul 2015
Posts: 2
32. Read a manga recommended to you by another Manga Reading Challenge participant

Hit me with your best shot!!!
 
Jan 5, 2016 8:18 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 64
Are you allowed to change your difficulty choice partway through?
\m/




 
Jan 6, 2016 1:16 AM
Anime Moderator
Offline
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 7337
shinster400 said:
32. Read a manga recommended to you by another Manga Reading Challenge participant

Hit me with your best shot!!!

Do you want something on the shorter side, or the longer side? I'd recommend Double Arts for something short, or Alive for longer. Both are action (since it seems like you like action), although more so the second one.
 
Jan 6, 2016 2:29 AM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 1068
To be honest and speaking strictly personally, I'm sad some challenges like "re-read a manga" or "read a manga by Tezuka" were replaced by something like the TV tropes (I don't even know what it is...) and the generated random word challenges... They sounded like a hassle to me, that I decided to sign up for the medium level and deleted them.

Well, whatever. Good luck to everyone for this year too :D
 
Jan 6, 2016 2:38 AM
WATCH UMA MUSUME

Offline
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 12168
@tsuyokunaru

for

Read a manga from a magazine with less than 250 titles listed in the database


if it's less than 250 when I start reading one of the manga from the magazine but when turning in it is over 250...is it no longer valid?
 
Jan 6, 2016 3:33 AM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 1068
Annuvin said:
@Kella
TVTropes is great. Seriously, give it a try.

Okay, so in the end I deleted my previous sign up form and singed up again for the hard level... Afterall I still have a year to figure out how that site works, lol
 
Jan 6, 2016 4:10 AM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 582
Is there a way to make a link that directs me to my own post? So that I can put it in my favorites and avoid the trouble to keep searching for it every time.
 
Jan 6, 2016 4:13 AM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 18199
felipekorbes said:
Is there a way to make a link that directs me to my own post? So that I can put it in my favorites and avoid the trouble to keep searching for it every time.
Click the number in your post (top right corner) and copy.paste the URL.afterwards.
 
Jan 6, 2016 5:26 AM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 1188
@Shinster400 I want to rec Eden: It's an Endless World, but it's kind of on the medium-length side.

@Kella I took those two out because I personally don't like re-reading (people can still do it for the challenge, really. It's up to them as long as it fits an item) and the Tezuka one was because people who chose that sometimes read manga that was not by Tezuka and wanted to include it and it was a bit of an issue and I also decided it was best not to force authors.

@JOAOAA Hmm, well I won't be super strict about it, but you can make a note of how many entries there were when you chose it? Like the name of the magazines and the number of titles in included in DB between parenthesis.
密室殺人はなぜ美しいのか。
 
Jan 6, 2016 5:48 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 267
Has anybody a recommendation for the challenge "Read a manga recommended to you by another Manga Reading Challenge participant"?

I would prefer some action, adveture stuff with around 50-70ish chapters.
 
Jan 6, 2016 6:06 AM

Offline
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 2030
Do you guys think I may read Kakukaku Shikajika for the 'Read a manga that has a main character that is a professional in his field' challenge?
 
Jan 6, 2016 6:21 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 113464
Does Domestic na Kanjo qualify for the "Read a manga that focuses on a couple with a romantic relationship" category?
 
Jan 6, 2016 7:08 AM
My muse...

Offline
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 2718
I have about "Read a light novel." Lets say Spice and Wolf. Can I read just one of the novels in the series or would I need to read the whole series?
 
Jan 6, 2016 7:09 AM
WATCH UMA MUSUME

Offline
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 12168
tsuyokunaru said:
@JOAOAA Hmm, well I won't be super strict about it, but you can make a note of how many entries there were when you chose it? Like the name of the magazines and the number of titles in included in DB between parenthesis.

Yeh thats fine to do tyvm
 
Jan 6, 2016 7:12 AM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 1188
@FlameWingman21 I think it certainly counts.

@Stark700 Well, from the summary I think it should count, yeah. The central topic of the manga is romance, now I guess it should depend if it centers on one couple or not. I won't be too strict about that though.

@delija9091 Maybe Hoshi no Samidare?

@Brand Just one volume in the series would count.
密室殺人はなぜ美しいのか。
 
Jan 6, 2016 7:31 AM

Offline
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 2030
@tsuyokunaru Glad to hear that. I'm just afraid there's too little story about her time as a mangaka. I mean that if in the manga, most of the time, telling about her time before she became a mangaka and then ended right after she became one, I don't think it's eligible to use for that challenge.
 
Jan 6, 2016 7:38 AM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 1188
FlameWingman21 said:
@tsuyokunaru Glad to hear that. I'm just afraid there's too little story about her time as a mangaka. I mean that if in the manga, most of the time, telling about her time before she became a mangaka and then ended right after she became one, I don't think it's eligible to use for that challenge.

I've never read it, but even an art student could be considered an artist. I think here it will depend a bit on that?
A friend of mine read it and told me about it beforehand. It definitely seemed more about student struggles than about being a mangaka but it is also about the craft and being an artist apparently.
密室殺人はなぜ美しいのか。
 
Jan 6, 2016 7:43 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 267
tsuyokunaru said:
@delija9091 Maybe Hoshi no Samidare?


Not exactly what I had in mind, but sounds very intriguing. Gonna check it out.
 
Jan 6, 2016 7:49 AM
My muse...

Offline
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 2718
Any recommendations for "Read a manga that focuses on non-romantic relationships?"

Also any recs for "Read a manga with children as the main cast?"
 
Jan 6, 2016 7:50 AM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 18199
delija9091 said:
tsuyokunaru said:
@delija9091 Maybe Hoshi no Samidare?


Not exactly what I had in mind, but sounds very intriguing. Gonna check it out.
You could try Sengoku Youko (by the same author) as well, though that's still ongoing (with 70 chapter out so far).
Both are excellent.

Brand said:
Any recommendations for "Read a manga that focuses on non-romantic relationships?"
Spirit Circle has an interesting take of relationships between people.
 
Jan 6, 2016 7:50 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 296
So, I started reading a manga on Jan 4. Does that count as an entry for the challenge? Cause I read only 7 chapters.
 
Jan 6, 2016 7:55 AM
My muse...

Offline
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 2718
suraj_anton said:
So, I started reading a manga on Jan 4. Does that count as an entry for the challenge? Cause I read only 7 chapters.


It should be fine as long as you started in 2016.
 
Jan 6, 2016 8:49 AM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 1188
@Brand I read Gohan Shiyo! last year and it had children as main cast and it was pretty cute even if it feels a bit unfinished. Bokurano also counts (Not sure if you've read either of them).

@suraj_anton As Brand said, as long as it was after January 1st it totally counts :D
密室殺人はなぜ美しいのか。
 
Jan 6, 2016 9:05 AM

Offline
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 2030
tsuyokunaru said:
FlameWingman21 said:
@tsuyokunaru Glad to hear that. I'm just afraid there's too little story about her time as a mangaka. I mean that if in the manga, most of the time, telling about her time before she became a mangaka and then ended right after she became one, I don't think it's eligible to use for that challenge.

I've never read it, but even an art student could be considered an artist. I think here it will depend a bit on that?
A friend of mine read it and told me about it beforehand. It definitely seemed more about student struggles than about being a mangaka but it is also about the craft and being an artist apparently.

Art students are artists, but not professionals, I guess. They're still amateur until they can make a living out of it, I think. Hmm.. I guess I'll just go on and see it myself later. If it doesn't fit the challenge, I'll just change my challenge item into the one that fits. XD
 
Jan 6, 2016 9:27 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2014
Posts: 370
Tsuyokunaru about the "Read a Harem, Ecchi, Shoujo Ai or Shounen Ai manga" :



delija9091 said:
Has anybody a recommendation for the challenge "Read a manga recommended to you by another Manga Reading Challenge participant"?

I would prefer some action, adveture stuff with around 50-70ish chapters.
I know it doesn't really fit exactly what you ask for , but please , consider reading Ashita no Joe . You won't regret it , I really think so .

FlameWingman21 said:
@tsuyokunaru Glad to hear that. I'm just afraid there's too little story about her time as a mangaka. I mean that if in the manga, most of the time, telling about her time before she became a mangaka and then ended right after she became one, I don't think it's eligible to use for that challenge.

Go for it . Really , just go ^^
the manga is an autobiographia , so basicaly in itself , it is already about a professional in it's field hahaha . A talented female manga author that talk about her past (and with a lot of "come-back to present" , little digression , etc..) . And beside , the manga is also about and dedicated to her teacher (and teacher is a profession no ? huhu)
So if I think about it , it's like this manga fit for the item at 300 percent . hahaha

but if even with all I said you don't feel like it's legit , then read it for another item , because I already know it will be to your liking considering the previous challenge and the talk we had in the past discussion thread . Definitly a things to read for you .
 
Jan 6, 2016 9:31 AM
Offline
Joined: May 2014
Posts: 17
For - Read a manga that has not been adapted in any way - would manga that have had fighting games (like JoJo part 5-8) count? or does that count as having an adaption?
 
Jan 6, 2016 9:59 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 9751
Do novels fall under this challenge?
"The blood makes us human, makes us more than human, makes us human no more." -Master Willem from Bloodborne.



 
Jan 6, 2016 10:08 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 267
FlameWingman21 said:
tsuyokunaru said:

I've never read it, but even an art student could be considered an artist. I think here it will depend a bit on that?
A friend of mine read it and told me about it beforehand. It definitely seemed more about student struggles than about being a mangaka but it is also about the craft and being an artist apparently.

Art students are artists, but not professionals, I guess. They're still amateur until they can make a living out of it, I think. Hmm.. I guess I'll just go on and see it myself later. If it doesn't fit the challenge, I'll just change my challenge item into the one that fits. XD


Well, the manga has a 8.72 rating and is classified as a Josei, so you could include it into the following challenges if it turns out to not be about professionals:
"Read a manga with a score of or above 8.5 in MyAnimeList"
"Read a manga with a target demographic that does not apply to you".
 
Jan 6, 2016 10:10 AM

Offline
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 2030
Dullboy said:
Go for it . Really , just go ^^
the manga is an autobiographia , so basicaly in itself , it is already about a professional in it's field hahaha . A talented female manga author that talk about her past (and with a lot of "come-back to present" , little digression , etc..) . And beside , the manga is also about and dedicated to her teacher (and teacher is a profession no ? huhu)
So if I think about it , it's like this manga fit for the item at 300 percent . hahaha

but if even with all I said you don't feel like it's legit , then read it for another item , because I already know it will be to your liking considering the previous challenge and the talk we had in the past discussion thread . Definitly a things to read for you .

Oh my... guess who have just found what manga to finish first for this year? You totally convinced me there. You'd make a great sales person lol. I have a feeling it will be one hell of feels trip, since you said past discussion. Merci, Dullboy.

Anyway, I have been reading Aria and found out the atmosphere was almost similar to Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou. It was soothing. You'll probably like it since you like heartwarming stories like Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou and Usagi Drop. Should start from the prequel, Aqua, if you wanted to read it.


delija9091 said:
Well, the manga has a 8.72 rating and is classified as a Josei, so you could include it into the following challenges if it turns out to not be about professionals:
"Read a manga with a score of or above 8.5 in MyAnimeList"
"Read a manga with a target demographic that does not apply to you".

That's what I was planning to do if it didn't fit. Thanks to that man Dullboy I just have to read it.
 
Jan 6, 2016 10:10 AM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 1188
@Dullboy Thanks for explaining. I can see why you disagree with those being grouped.

@SupremeMuggage I'd say it doesn't count because a game is an adaptation, even if they don't really include all the story.

@ExTamplier Novels cannot be included as regular items, since it's a manga challenge. Last year a few people asked about it because they are also included in the manga database but I really don't see them as the same. I decided to include the Light Novel bonus challenge this time around in case someone wanted to give it a shot.
密室殺人はなぜ美しいのか。
 
Jan 6, 2016 10:20 AM
My muse...

Offline
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 2718
tsuyokunaru said:
@Brand I read Gohan Shiyo! last year and it had children as main cast and it was pretty cute even if it feels a bit unfinished. Bokurano also counts (Not sure if you've read either of them).


Thanks, I'll read Gohan Shiyo, I'm more in the mood for cute rather than depressing.
 
Jan 6, 2016 10:29 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 9751
tsuyokunaru said:
@ExTamplier Novels cannot be included as regular items, since it's a manga challenge. Last year a few people asked about it because they are also included in the manga database but I really don't see them as the same. I decided to include the Light Novel bonus challenge this time around in case someone wanted to give it a shot.
Ok, thank you for reply.
Modified by ExTemplar, Jan 6, 2016 10:49 AM
"The blood makes us human, makes us more than human, makes us human no more." -Master Willem from Bloodborne.



 
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Top
Pages (19) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »