Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Sep 17, 2015 7:33 PM
The Komori

Mar 2013
Not a bad finale episode....I was even more glad to see that there serious repercussions due to what happened

Seeing everyone work together was pretty fun too, 7/10 for me
Sep 17, 2015 7:34 PM

May 2013
Finally this drivel has come to an end, true to form with an especially awful episode. I'm glad that I never have to watch this again.

Sep 17, 2015 7:49 PM

Mar 2009
Unfortunately, a messy show overall. The only episode I really enjoyed was the one with Detective Kagami and his younger sister. And that one required a lot of suspension of disbelief.

Oh, well. Hopefully next season's noitamina show will be better.
Sep 17, 2015 8:36 PM

May 2013
Good music and entertained as well must admit but since all the 20 faces started it was like meh and nope.
I would preffer a normal detective series with insane criminals and more gore like in the beginning.
Also would like to know the story about Akechi and the bdsm prisoner who helps him with the cases.
Didn't like what they did with the medical forense Minami becoming a 20 faces and such.

I really liked it though, so 9/10 for excellent art and music overall.
Sep 17, 2015 9:03 PM

Jul 2010
The ending felt a bit lacking, though as a mystery, I enjoyed myself. The weird thing about this anime was how this show made people think that the criminals got what they deserved when they too were brutally murdered, not that I mind, though.

I sort of liked how society's problem was brought forth, not so much for the horrendous crimes. but rather the general consequences of being a part of the society we live in today. See the use of justifications of saving society, justifications never gets old.

Using something like a reign of terror, as a detergent against crimes. This was enjoyable for a 7.5/10. Kinda wanted to see the changed Kobayashi more.
Sep 17, 2015 9:17 PM

Jan 2013
I liked the show for what it was. It's a mystery crime solving but done differently.

The main characters aren't the idealistic justice fighters you see everyday, but more twisted than strange. If Kobayashi "enjoying" the thrill of the crimes like it's a game wasn't a clue enough then you've missed the point, especially if you are one those who focused more on him being a trap (which I honestly never saw him as such) instead of being a little psycho detective wannabe. His development at the end and actually shedding tears was nice and adds more to his character.

The theatrical presentations were also a unique touch. The way they were presented made it look like we're watching a stage play and I'm a sucker for artistic approaches like these.

8/10
REJECT ANIMU - EMBRACE TOKU
Sep 17, 2015 9:28 PM

Aug 2009
2/10 Fucking garbage. A stain on the legacy of Edogawa Ranpo. Terrible excuse for a "horror" anime and BS fanservice, melodrama and pandering.

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Sep 17, 2015 10:08 PM

Dec 2014
Well, it wasn't that bad. 7/10
The concept of a formula capable of such a thing seems pretty interesting to me. Too bad the anime's staff couldn't improve it in 11 episodes.
Sep 17, 2015 11:04 PM
Sep 2015
well, its bit disappointing. the first few episodes was good (+/- 7.5), but the ending is a bit rushed and boring , can't believe it my self T-T. My expectation was quite high since they mention the name of Edogawa Ranpo. overall +/- 5
Vaan_levenSep 17, 2015 11:07 PM
Sep 17, 2015 11:15 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
Only thing good was the OP and ED which are were absurdly good.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Sep 18, 2015 12:13 AM

Jan 2011
wakka9ca said:
Sep 18, 2015 12:17 AM

May 2008
An OK anime with a few good moments (7/10)...
Nothing exceptional, expected a little more for the ending...
Sep 18, 2015 12:31 AM

Jan 2015
Akechi is my fave and quite saved the whole thing, Hashiba a cutie. Some characters dynamics were good. I never compromised enough with this anime, it was a mindless half of an hour and it's fine by me. Nothing outstanding but if you keep your expectations low-key, it's easily watchable.

I Loved the opening and ending music!

6/10
Sep 18, 2015 12:42 AM

Oct 2011
katsu044 said:
wakka9ca said:
Sep 18, 2015 3:09 AM

Jul 2015
Kids suiciding to get their points across was silly and god unbearable to watch because, overall, it just sounds like a stupid problem for a detective to solve. Kobayashi intending to jump as well was just silly lmfao. You can get by if you turn off your brain, other than that the melancholic music was absolutely great and fit the series, 4/10. (but music would be 8/10)
Sep 18, 2015 4:58 AM

Jul 2011
so... how come the last appearence of hanabishi was with her even more injured than ever?
Sep 18, 2015 5:05 AM
Oct 2012
Crono-Cross said:
I would compare this to Detective Conan since both Ranpo and Conan came from pretty much the same source, Rampo Edowgawa

Meitaitei Conan has next to nothing to do with Rampo Edogawa outside of being a series of books its writer Gosho Aoyama read as a child and he used as a inspiration. But one shouldn't over state this influence, Sherlock Holmes is just as much an inspiration as well as other mystery writers both in Japan, Europe and the Anglosphere.

Crono-Cross said:
I think the main problem was that people expected this anime to be something it wasn't, but as far as mystery anime goes, its pretty damn good.

If it had been a mystery, your point may have been correct, but it wasn't a mystery.

While I agree that most of the hate in the early episodes were by people who thought the show would be something different, those people dropped the show a long time ago. The remaining people who disliked the show disliked it because it was poorly written and poorly executed. Development only happened so that the writer could kill the character to gain cheap emotional feels (episode 3 and 5), themes were repeated ad nasuem (butterfly motif, coroner bits, Hashiba's and Kobayashi relationship (Habashi blushed more than Miyuki said "Oneesama")), the criminals were given no real development outside of stereotypes. Everything was broadcasted before it happened which is why it wasn't a mystery when it was solved (everyone knew by episode 3 that Kagami would be a twenty face).

I don't mind if others liked the show, entertainment differs for different people, but likewise don't try to pretend that people who disliked the show disliked it because "they didn't get it". The show was weak.
Sep 18, 2015 5:48 AM

Oct 2013
Interestingly this show wasn't top rate. For me it's 6/10. But oddly I watched it as fast as it was released. Even though I hold gangsta and others.

I think the first 20 faces still alive. Forgot his name though.

The op Ed ost were all good.
Sep 18, 2015 6:03 AM

Jul 2015
I liked the show at first, it was interesting but so much of it was so hit and miss. by the end of it i only liked this show for the OP/ED, OST and Akechi.

a 6/10 for me.

Sep 18, 2015 8:12 AM

Sep 2014
Finally. I lived through all the fucking bullshite this Anime had. 2/10 for my troubles.
Sep 18, 2015 8:14 AM

Jun 2013
final episode already OP and ED were good and each one saved his friend like that wasn't predictable at all
Sep 18, 2015 9:49 AM

Dec 2012
I can't believe people still don't go over the fact that Minami had an actual role in the show and was a twenty face. I don't think "just" a comic relief character would appear in the OP along with other important characters.
Sep 18, 2015 9:50 AM
Sep 2015
I hated this show.Too bad that I'm perfectionist and when I start watching something I rarely drop it or leave it.If this was made in to 6 episode OVA series with tighter story and cut all the filled crap episodes it could have been meh,now it's just shit.And don't even get me started on the main character male/female thing.I have nothing against transvestites or gays,but what audience were they looking to get with him.He's a guy posing like a girl,with the voice of a girl and his best friend most probably wants to give him the D.Yeah ok...
Sep 18, 2015 9:51 AM
Jul 2018
Rushed as hell and this really should've been an episodic series instead of whatever they were trying to do with the limited 11 episodes. The formula is very interesting and I really wish they expanded on that but again 11 episodes seemingly aren't enough to do so. For the episode itself Kobayashi was as retarded as ever and him just going along with Namakoshi's plan because the world is boring was just stupid and pathetic to see. Nothing seems to have been resolved either so meh.

The OP and ED like everyone said were great and my overall score for the anime is a 6/10
removed-userSep 20, 2015 9:50 PM
Sep 18, 2015 9:52 AM

Aug 2013
6/10

I liked the three main characters, the paperbag guy and some of the mysteries

But yeah, so much wasted potential

and I wasn't convinced by the ending, it feels bitter-sweet. I much prefer happy endings.

on a side note, i'm currently reading one of Ranpo Edogawa's mystery novels (the demon fron the solitary island)
SherlupinSep 18, 2015 9:57 AM
Sep 18, 2015 12:06 PM

Apr 2015
I'm not sure what to make of this series. It wasn't a mystery show much of the time. But I did like the characters - at least the ones with any personality. Overall I liked the show.

I'm not sure how Namikoshi thought his actions would lead to a better world. Is a dysfunctional society plagued by revenge killings a place anyone would want to live?
Sep 18, 2015 12:13 PM

Jul 2012
It's amazing how much better the episodes without much Kobayashi are...
The last 3 episodes were slightly better but still a 6 or 7 at max for me, and that's pushing it the OST raised the score for me
"In the past few months since we met, I've shared many memories with Nagato. Though I've also shared memories with Haruhi, Asahina-san and Koizumi, I found that I've experienced more events with Nagato in particular. In fact, every situation seems to involve her. I might as well mention this, she's probably the only person to cause the bell within me to shake the most vigorously..." ~ Kyon, TMOSH
Sep 18, 2015 2:57 PM
Mar 2013
Takuan_Soho said:
Crono-Cross said:
I would compare this to Detective Conan since both Ranpo and Conan came from pretty much the same source, Rampo Edowgawa

Meitaitei Conan has next to nothing to do with Rampo Edogawa outside of being a series of books its writer Gosho Aoyama read as a child and he used as a inspiration. But one shouldn't over state this influence, Sherlock Holmes is just as much an inspiration as well as other mystery writers both in Japan, Europe and the Anglosphere.

Crono-Cross said:
I think the main problem was that people expected this anime to be something it wasn't, but as far as mystery anime goes, its pretty damn good.

If it had been a mystery, your point may have been correct, but it wasn't a mystery.

While I agree that most of the hate in the early episodes were by people who thought the show would be something different, those people dropped the show a long time ago. The remaining people who disliked the show disliked it because it was poorly written and poorly executed. Development only happened so that the writer could kill the character to gain cheap emotional feels (episode 3 and 5), themes were repeated ad nasuem (butterfly motif, coroner bits, Hashiba's and Kobayashi relationship (Habashi blushed more than Miyuki said "Oneesama")), the criminals were given no real development outside of stereotypes. Everything was broadcasted before it happened which is why it wasn't a mystery when it was solved (everyone knew by episode 3 that Kagami would be a twenty face).

I don't mind if others liked the show, entertainment differs for different people, but likewise don't try to pretend that people who disliked the show disliked it because "they didn't get it". The show was weak.

I only said that because I understood what influenced what. I didn't mean to overstate it.(i just got into this stuff last year go easy on me)

The Butterfly thing was the whole theme of the show, you know, since it centered around the butterfly effect. Chaos theory, cause and effect. The rest you mentioned, like Hashiba's blushing, is in your typical anime anyway so i don't pay any mind to it.

The Coroner bits were useless and that girl should have just been a character. One of the things about that was because there was a deliberate time limit at the end of those segments that eventually reveal her to be one of the Twenty faces.

Why bother giving the criminals development? and whats exactly stereotyped about them at all? They simply made the criminals based of the millions of people who go through/do pretty much the same exact thing. They did fail at actually keeping it a mystery but i don't think they even had the intent to hide that Kagami was a twenty faces.

I don't really care if others liked the show either, I also not once tried to 'pretend' about why people didn't like the show because they didn't get it. I only said that people dropped it because it wasn't what they thought it was, i.e, placed too high of expectations on it.

But as they say opinions differ from person to person. I am sorry that you didn't like the show. I can see that others didn't like it either, but I'm not going to 'pretend' about anything.

What i wonder is why people who dont like the show even bothered to finish it?
Sep 18, 2015 3:21 PM

Jan 2013
Opening and ending were awesome!

3/10.
Sep 18, 2015 4:10 PM
Mar 2011
The only thing I understood from this how is that it was the last episode and now it's over. It was a psyshedelic show, a little bit like some Gintama or Yami Shibai episodes, where the whole thing doesn't make any sense.

Actually in this show nothing makes sense. One important theme in this show was suicide. It was in the beginning and in the last episode, and in some other episodes...
Sep 18, 2015 4:38 PM

Sep 2010
I think a lot of people are being pretty harsh on this show, like I'd rate it 7 or 8/10. Certainly the ending was pretty rushed but I think there's a lot more to the characters and to the show than people give it credit for. For those who don't know this show was actually based on the novels by Edogawa Ranpo (his pen name being a a Japanese word play on Edgar Allen Poe.) There is no "right" or "wrong" side in this I think, which is what people seem to look for a lot. Akechi isn't really a hero nor is Namikoshi a villian (or vice versa even..though I admit that Kobayashi pissed me off and was deemed an idiot sometimes.) Point being that as people keep saying it has no plot or was nonsense it's really not, you just have to think and read between the lines a bit more if you didn't get it maybe. Art was brilliant, animation was great, symbolism was awesome too. Could've been rushed less and definitely needed more development on the MC's more but it was a good show.
Sep 18, 2015 5:44 PM
Oct 2012
Crono-Cross said:
The Butterfly thing was the whole theme of the show, you know, since it centered around the butterfly effect. Chaos theory, cause and effect.

It was a plot device, not a theme. It would have been better as a theme. Either way it was not developed and ended up merely being cosmetic psychobabble. Here is a simple question: what was the point of either chaos theory or cause and effect in this show? How do the two interact with each other?

Crono-Cross said:
The Coroner bits were useless and that girl should have just been a character. ...
Like many things in this show (including Black Lizard's appearances) it would not have been bad in isolation, but it was the collection of them and their repetition that got redundant and tiresome.

Crono-Cross said:
What i wonder is why people who dont like the show even bothered to finish it?
Because I liked it very much at the beginning, had first doubts around 3, and lost all faith at 5, from there I watched to see if my disillusionment would be validated. It was.
Takuan_SohoSep 18, 2015 5:50 PM
Sep 18, 2015 7:21 PM

Jun 2013
Welp the ED song was pretty good. And the OP was pretty decent too. Thats about it
Sep 18, 2015 8:46 PM

Dec 2013
Well... the end was pretty much as expected and cliché as ever. Makes you wonder why Akechi would even allow Kobayashi to assist him in cases after that, considering that he was the weak link in his adventures.

Overall the show wasn't entirely horrible. There were some interesting moments at the beginning with the live child embalming and the detective's revenge cases, and it seems nobody could argue that the OP and ED were beautifully artistic.

5/10
HESTIAAPPROVES
Sep 18, 2015 8:54 PM

Dec 2010
That was absolutely terribad. I'll say this again: Edogawa Ranpo must've been rolling in his grave. lol

The OP and ED are the only ones likeable in this anime.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 18, 2015 9:21 PM

May 2008
Well, glad to see I'm not the only one who hates this shit. Sadly people actually liked it.

The characters are so... contrived and uninspiring. Everyone's a genius who has a sob story and you're meant to feel sorry for them because they were abused and oh my god it's so sad. Like please, it's 2015, this shit doesn't come across as original anymore.

The "genius who hates everyone else because people are dumb and don't get me" trope needs to stop. It's only ever done well in a comedy setting, but that's because then it's usually a parody of said trope. Sorry, but there's a reason you were getting the shit beaten out of you, Namikoshi -- you were a pussy.

Not to mention Kobayashi is annoying as fuck. "I'm bored so I'm gonna SOLVE CRIMES! And be smarter than those useless adults who don't know anything!" Hashiba was right, bitch needs to stay in school.

Soooo glad this shit's over.
Sep 18, 2015 9:50 PM

Oct 2011
Twenty Faces still lives on in those people oMG
Sep 18, 2015 10:49 PM

Dec 2012
aww why :( couldn't Akeshi get with Nakimushi or however u spell his name and be happy together they obviously liked each other.
Sep 19, 2015 2:05 AM

Aug 2013
Well this was pretty bad.

Kobayashi just decides his life isn't important. Wants to kill himself for fun because he thinks Dark Star is a good idea. After he's saved he doesn't have a desire to die anymore, but he still has that same warped mentality as 20 faces; because you can see when he walks in the crowds now not everyone is a colored shadow anymore. Aka other people who are as fucked up in the head.

Namikoshi "died" again. I doubt it, but this will just become an awful memory, so I don't really care.

Kagami was legit the only good character in this show. Very human, very relatable. Straight-laced good guy cop. Completely broken as a person when the justice system fails him (I actually know somebody going through this right now, lol) and then losing his only family member whom he loves deeply. He's willing to get blood on his hands because he knows that the scum are getting away with too much. Then once he's jailed he realizes that he basically threw away his humanity, and he's always seen crying on depressed because he knows he fucked up.

Oh...Black Lizard was a good character too. Because Hikasa Yoko voicing a perfect-bodied, sexy, sadomasochist is ALWAYS a good thing.

5/10. Marginally better than Chaos Dragon.
Sep 19, 2015 2:53 AM

Mar 2015
Kill yourself just because this can open the possibility to a revolution. Don't know what is worse - kill yourself to make a change in society, or kill others, calling this a fight for a bright future.
P.S. First episode, episode with Kagami's past, and Kage Otoko episodes is best in the series.
TlahuizcapanteSep 19, 2015 3:21 AM
Sep 19, 2015 3:28 AM

Aug 2012
Is no one going to talk about the fact that Loli-sensei came back more injured than before. Because this fucking bothers me to no end.

Don't introduce a character, imply she'd be of great interest to MC, and then fucking cast her out and use her for comedy.

It's like the writers went:

"Hey look, we introduced this character with scars on her wrists"
"FUCK IT LETS FOCUS ON OTHER CHARACTERS THEY WON'T NOTICE"
"Hey let's bring her back but with an eye patch next time"
"WE WON'T EXPLAIN WHY, THEY WON'T NOTICE"
"Lets bring her back into the final episode, now with even more injuries"
"LETS END IT HERE THEY WON'T BE MAD"

I fucking demand an entire 2 episode OVA special dedicated to her.

Sloppy writing, and the fact Loli-sensei remained irrelevant, 2/10
Sep 19, 2015 5:32 AM

Apr 2013
I liked it a lot actually as a whole. The last episode was bit rushed and the story too unrealistic but who cares. I enjoyed this series so an 8/10h
A Story will always come to it's end. The thing is, will you move on after it's over?
Sep 19, 2015 8:42 AM

May 2014
Really enjoyed this show. Kinda surprised by the ammount of dislikes this anime gets o.o 8/10
Sep 19, 2015 10:07 AM

Nov 2011
Really wanted to like to show, just never got into it.

Join the MSP Club for an in-depth look at score progressions and other stats of currently airing anime
Sep 19, 2015 1:07 PM
Jan 2014
I thought that Kobayashi was gonna refute 20-faces equation or something to do with his weird way of seeing the world... but no, he just went along with it till the end.
So, it left me wonder what is the damn point of his character at all if he's gonna do nothing during the most important part.

I had so much expectation from seeing the 1st episode. Such a waste.
Sep 20, 2015 9:00 AM

Jan 2013
Zazie122 said:
Well, glad to see I'm not the only one who hates this shit. Sadly people actually liked it.

You're absolutely right. How dare us have a different opinion? We need you to chastise us for liking what you hate!
REJECT ANIMU - EMBRACE TOKU
Sep 20, 2015 10:28 AM

Nov 2012
SirMaddy said:
Is no one going to talk about the fact that Loli-sensei came back more injured than before. Because this fucking bothers me to no end.

Don't introduce a character, imply she'd be of great interest to MC, and then fucking cast her out and use her for comedy.

It's like the writers went:

"Hey look, we introduced this character with scars on her wrists"
"FUCK IT LETS FOCUS ON OTHER CHARACTERS THEY WON'T NOTICE"
"Hey let's bring her back but with an eye patch next time"
"WE WON'T EXPLAIN WHY, THEY WON'T NOTICE"
"Lets bring her back into the final episode, now with even more injuries"
"LETS END IT HERE THEY WON'T BE MAD"

I fucking demand an entire 2 episode OVA special dedicated to her.

Sloppy writing, and the fact Loli-sensei remained irrelevant, 2/10

I know right? What's the point of showing her in the end. I know this is like many anime that shows that how everyone (that appear in the series) continue living peace (?), in this case after 20 faces case, but whats wrong with her getting more injured? (Is she (perhaps) participate in 20 faces suicide party but failed?)
Besides that overall so many questions unanswered, an 6/10 is justice enough imo.
Sep 20, 2015 2:08 PM
Sep 2013
Zee530 said:
Really wanted to like to show, just never got into it.

I thought this anime was too edgy, but boy I was wrong. I gave up watching after 4 episodes because of the cheesy plot in spite of the dark themes and such...

This is probably one of the worst anime Noitamina has ever aired, maybe the "F" anime (which also focuses on mystery but with a better plot and characters) will get better, or maybe Edogawa Ranpo is rolling on his grave towards this adaptation.
Sep 20, 2015 3:54 PM

Jul 2009
It started pretty cool (the first 2 episodes), but then it just went on going boring each episode, I kept going coz the OP/ED were great, but in the end, I was kinda disappointed with the development. 5/10
Sep 21, 2015 3:29 AM

May 2008
MarkFlowers said:

This is probably one of the worst anime Noitamina has ever aired

I was going to argue PUNCH LINE!, but even that was marginally better overall.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ranpo Kitan: Game of Laplace Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 9, 2015

327 by wildhood »»
Jul 30, 9:34 AM

Poll: » Ranpo Kitan: Game of Laplace Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 10, 2015

65 by LilyVarbik »»
Jul 23, 7:18 AM

Poll: » Ranpo Kitan: Game of Laplace Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 3, 2015

71 by LilyVarbik »»
Jul 23, 6:34 AM

Poll: » Ranpo Kitan: Game of Laplace Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 20, 2015

57 by LilyVarbik »»
Jul 22, 5:33 PM

Poll: » Ranpo Kitan: Game of Laplace Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 13, 2015

70 by LilyVarbik »»
Jul 22, 5:03 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.