Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 20, 2015 9:32 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Creepy~

Probably one of the more serious episode in terms of content. I felt bad for this girl:

The essence of the marionette-like figures is creepy. However, I will say that the episode has a sense of creativity in itself too with some thrilling narrative and perhaps the butterfly symbolism.
Aug 20, 2015 11:11 AM
Jul 2018
I felt bad for that Chiyoko girl.

The marionette-like figures are quite creepy.

Akechi's past was nice and good to know about the first Twenty Faces.
Aug 20, 2015 11:24 AM
Oct 2012
Stark700 said:
The essence of the marionette-like figures is creepy. However, I will say that the episode has a sense of creativity in itself too with some thrilling narrative and perhaps the butterfly symbolism.

Best episode since 2, finally starting to bring Laplace into the equation (hah), the Demon is the theory that if you can predict the movement of ever atom in the universe you can predict all future events. So the butterfly motif relates to the "butterfly effect", that small unknown changes can multiple and in the end upset the ability of the Demon to predict.

I think the flaw that Akechi discovered (but annoying never explained) is that if one creates the end (i.e. 20 faces punishes villains that the police cannot), the means are also created. So for every twenty face that is created, a villain likewise has to be created, and every villain needs a victim. So far from 20 Faces being good, they are instead CREATING the psychotics that we have seen. So the program (I know it's not quite a program) is actually the cause of both the police inability and the deaths of all those girls (no wonder Akechi is on drugs).

This is not an original concept, Frank Miller explained this in the Dark Knight Returns, that Batman's existence helped to create things like the Joker.

The mannequins were unfortunately less creativity than copying. The idea of human mannequins goes back to the campy 1960's version of Akechi called the Black Lizard. Humorously, Yukio Mishima was one of the humans turned into one.

Face palming line from the show "The law I will create will shed light on the dark world, so lets call it dark star." Dark stars would not shed light, that is why they are dark. Of course I get the symbolism (the Dark Star will end up NOT casting light, but creating more darkness), but still the writing there was pretty bad.

So the path is set, Kobayashi is going to fix the program, that is why he is bored with math, he has been working on the formula itself. Or perhaps, he is the embodiment of the "Dark Star", the good parts of the program that is seeking to overcome the error and do what it was originally programmed to do.

End result, after 5 episodes of filler, we finally got to the main plot, I hope to god they do something different with the coroner, she is a joke that has long stopped being funny. The mysteries still remain pointlessly simple, but that can be now explained away as a defect in the program: the twenty faces are just normal people corrupted by Dark Star, so that is why they become very easy to catch.
Aug 20, 2015 11:24 AM
The Komori

Mar 2013
Felt bad for the girl, those creeps got what they deserved

Pretty interesting how Akechi's best friend is the real/first 20 Faces
Aug 20, 2015 11:29 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
The second half was awesome, the shots were really cool and the song as always amazing. Akechi is going for Twenty Faces since he and his friend in the past created it and he realised the mistake too late.
Aug 20, 2015 11:51 AM
May 2011
Takuan_Soho said:

Best episode since 2, finally starting to bring Laplace into the equation (hah), the Demon is the theory that if you can predict the movement of ever atom in the universe you can predict all future events. So the butterfly motif relates to the "butterfly effect", that small unknown changes can multiple and in the end upset the ability of the Demon to predict.

I think the flaw that Akechi discovered (but annoying never explained) is that if one creates the end (i.e. 20 faces punishes villains that the police cannot), the means are also created. So for every twenty face that is created, a villain likewise has to be created, and every villain needs a victim. So far from 20 Faces being good, they are instead CREATING the psychotics that we have seen. So the program (I know it's not quite a program) is actually the cause of both the police inability and the deaths of all those girls (no wonder Akechi is on drugs).

The mysteries still remain pointlessly simple, but that can be now explained away as a defect in the program: the twenty faces are just normal people corrupted by Dark Star, so that is why they become very easy to catch.

God bless you for explaining all of this so concisely. I was very lost and frustrated because it's obvious how important this episode is to the main plot.
Aug 20, 2015 12:14 PM

Jun 2014
This was a pretty interesting episode, learning about the origin of 20 Faces. Felt bad for Higashikoji after seeing the shit she went through.

And that three-minute shocking thing needs to stop. It was alright the first time they used that joke, but it's just not funny anymore.
thebrentinator24Aug 20, 2015 12:18 PM
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Aug 20, 2015 12:20 PM

Jul 2014
Definitely one of the best episodes that this show has had so far. Seeing Akechi's past and how he relates to the origins of Twenty Faces (hence explaining his desire to catch all the Twenty Faces killers) was very interesting, and I really liked the way they played with the visuals during that sequence. Like other people though, I did also feel sorry for Higashikoji: her life on Panorama Island was pretty messed up, and she is probably the most justified out of all the Twenty Faces killers we have seen so far.

Other than the three-minute shocking, which really needs to be binned, this show needs more episodes like this.
Aug 20, 2015 12:22 PM

Feb 2015
Takuan_Soho said:
Stark700 said:

This is not an original concept, Frank Miller explained this in the Dark Knight Returns, that Batman's existence helped to create things like the Joker.

The mannequins were unfortunately less creativity than copying. The idea of human mannequins goes back to the campy 1960's version of Akechi called the Black Lizard. Humorously, Yukio Mishima was one of the humans turned into one.

Face palming line from the show "The law I will create will shed light on the dark world, so lets call it dark star." Dark stars would not shed light, that is why they are dark. Of course I get the symbolism (the Dark Star will end up NOT casting light, but creating more darkness), but still the writing there was pretty bad.

So the path is set, Kobayashi is going to fix the program, that is why he is bored with math, he has been working on the formula itself. Or perhaps, he is the embodiment of the "Dark Star", the good parts of the program that is seeking to overcome the error and do what it was originally programmed to do.

End result, after 5 episodes of filler, we finally got to the main plot, I hope to god they do something different with the coroner, she is a joke that has long stopped being funny. The mysteries still remain pointlessly simple, but that can be now explained away as a defect in the program: the twenty faces are just normal people corrupted by Dark Star, so that is why they become very easy to catch.

It targets people who are in vunerable situations (for example shachico´s father) and "manipulates" them into killing. This system turns people into puppets, it can preddict the future because it controls the present, its like a play, each character does something leading to a end that is already written....
Also, it seems that the original 20faces is not dead, it doesnt seem likely because (the anime is about merging Edogawa Ranpo works) and its develompent is just "normal", is a plot-twist that they coul easly use and it could be used to turn akechi´s quest of "destroying" 20faces into something more "physical"
Aug 20, 2015 12:35 PM
Oct 2012
SoyMarcosje said:
It targets people who are in vunerable situations (for example shachico´s father) and "manipulates" them into killing.

I wouldn't say manipulate, or that anyone was vulnerable. If someone brutally killed my wife and then walked, the person would be dead faster than sunrise. No manipulation needed.

SoyMarcosje said:
This system turns people into puppets,

That I think will be highlighted in this show. This could be why Akechi sees people as puppets, he knows that everyone is just acting according to the system. The removal of free will is what is implied in a Laplace Demon world, and in such a world then there can be no justice or morality. Fat girl killer had no choice but to be a fat girl killer, Sachiko's father had no choice but to become a vigilante. This is one of the problems with Determinism as a philosophy or Behaviorism in psychology. They demote humans from being agents to being passive dolts.

As a side, if Kobayashi is the solution to the flaw, it could explain why he sees people as shades until they do something that fixes their behavior.

SoyMarcosje said:
Also, it seems that the original 20faces is not dead....and it could be used to turn akechi´s quest of "destroying" 20faces into something more "physical"

I doubt he is dead either, the death was too dramatic and unexplained, I think the friend either did it to stop what he created (hence the existence of Kobayashi) or he faked it to be the final boss.
Aug 20, 2015 12:44 PM

Feb 2015

Great episode. Didn't care for the mystery on Panorama Island but I loved the 2nd half about Akechi's past, the formula & the origins of 20 Faces.

When Akechi told Hashiba ''Don't let him die in the first place,'' it felt to me like he knew Hashiba has feelings for Kobayashi.

Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 20, 2015 1:03 PM
Content Admin
Overkilled Red

Aug 2013
Takuan_Soho said:
SoyMarcosje said:
Also, it seems that the original 20faces is not dead....and it could be used to turn akechi´s quest of "destroying" 20faces into something more "physical"

I doubt he is dead either, the death was too dramatic and unexplained, I think the friend either did it to stop what he created (hence the existence of Kobayashi) or he faked it to be the final boss.

Of course he isn't dead. He simply became a Ghost Rider. I look forward to his reappearance with his epic motorbike.

Aug 20, 2015 1:21 PM

Mar 2015
Wow, the second half was very interesting. I'm still wondering how Akechi will manage to capture all those 20 Faces.
Aug 20, 2015 1:26 PM

Jan 2015
I liked the OST at the end, the beginning of "twenty faces".. not bad, I rather enjoyed this episode especially Akechi's flashback!
Aug 20, 2015 1:41 PM

Jul 2013
Really enjoyed this episode! Was great to find out about the first 20 Faces and get to know more about Akechi's backstory!
OST was great as always~
Aug 20, 2015 1:44 PM
Jan 2010
Thus gives explanation to all the butterflies in this series~ I think this was one of my favorite episodes.
Aug 20, 2015 1:58 PM

Feb 2014
Damn that OST was beautiful.
Aug 20, 2015 2:18 PM

Apr 2015
Some possible foreshadowing with the hints on Kobayashi's "death" and what will Hashiba do to prevent it. Second half was pretty interesting on Akechi and his friend's founding of Twenty Faces. Nice episode.
Aug 20, 2015 2:37 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
Beside Minami appearing again randomly to say something we already knew, it was a good and interesting episode !
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Aug 20, 2015 2:49 PM

Jul 2007
Oh man, it feels great to hear Laplace's probability theory(and to extent laplace's demon) which I guessed being the reason behind the show's title, being mentioned and used within the episode.

Basically Akechi and his friend gathered research and observations and according to it created a viral meme most likely to attract people and to cause people to behave in certain predictable ways. A self-fulfilling prophecy so to say.
Aug 20, 2015 3:03 PM

Sep 2012
Takuan_Soho said:
Stark700 said:

Thank you for the explanation. It really helps.

"It's a conversation through instruments. A miracle that creates harmony. In that moment, music transcends words." - Miyazono Kaori
"Laziness is the mother of all bad habits. But ultimately she is a mother and we should respect her." - Nara Shikamaru
"You think you're special? You're not. Everyone lies, everyone hides things... Nobody makes it through this life being completely honest." - Orihara Izaya
Aug 20, 2015 4:02 PM

May 2015
Well, those two idiots deserved it. Poor girl. I especially really liked the second part, once they went into Akechi's story. Thought it was well executed, and the BGM was perfect. Now we know the reason why he's hunting those Twenty Faces down. Liked this episode.

Aug 20, 2015 4:25 PM

May 2015
i swear this show gets more fucked up each episode Akechi past was interesting hopefully we get more background on it in future episodes
Aug 20, 2015 4:31 PM

Jul 2015
Loved this episode. I really like that theory of how they could predict everything with that equation and the creation of the 20 faces. Really like the scenes that played while he was explaining everything using butterflies for the butterfly effect. I agree with most that the og 20 faces is still alive. I think he's the one that shows up last in the OP when they show all the characters in masks.
Aug 20, 2015 4:31 PM

Jul 2011
"you had the courage to stand up to people you shouldn't talk to, you're a goddess"

uhmm.... ok? i mean, i know work culture in japan is very strict and extreme but.... a goddess only because she has a nice body and felt bad for her dead friend? they reallly were trying hard giving them reasons to choose her...
Aug 20, 2015 6:24 PM

Feb 2013
They spent a whole episode building up this one case to only resolve it in a few minutes.
>You killed them right?
>I... Yes I confess even though you had no hard evidence to make that assumption with

This is the 2nd time this show has pulled this. What's so good about this nonsense?

Lazyotk said:
i swear this show gets more fucked up each episode Akechi past was interesting hopefully we get more background on it in future episodes

Seemed like his backstory was fairly complete. It served its purpose by making sense of why he has a personal stake regarding these 20 Faces murders.
gedataAug 20, 2015 8:04 PM
Aug 20, 2015 10:14 PM

Jun 2013
so like she confessed at the start and they spent the entire episode explainig why
Aug 20, 2015 10:56 PM

Oct 2011
Interesting theory
Aug 20, 2015 11:48 PM

Jun 2013
So that woman had mannequins made with her being the model and on top of that, the mannequins are like a billion in number... yikes. Those two bastards really deserved to die that way.

But that was hardly the interesting part here. Akechi was the one who started the Twenty Faces thing indirectly through helping his friend who was the only other high schooler who knew high level mathematics. They, in a way, found out that the entire system is full of loopholes which results in a lot of criminals escaping justice. So the way to overcome this was to kill those criminals themselves since the police couldn't. Whoever finds out about a crime where the accused hasn't been punished, should go kill that person which will supposedly reduce the number of criminals and stuff. While it does get rid of some trash, it isn't right for citizens to take the law into their hands, and Akechi probably realized that which is why he tried to stop all this. But he was too late. So now he is trying to solve all Twenty Faces cases in order to show that he was right in his judgment. This new method isn't right. It doesn't solve anything. It just makes you another criminal like them. These Japs here should really review their laws though.
Aug 21, 2015 4:18 AM

Feb 2014
I hope that wasnt foreshadowing that Koboyashi is going to die :'(
Aug 21, 2015 7:11 AM

Sep 2014
Meh episode again. Couldn't care about that woman 20 faces. Couldn't care about Akechi's backstory.

And fucking Kobayashi wearing a dress again. Sigh.
Aug 21, 2015 9:50 AM

May 2013
I'm really stunned how this show manages to get dumber and dumber on a weekly basis. This will be an animated lobotomy by the final.

Aug 21, 2015 5:01 PM

Sep 2014
It didn't make any sense how the solved the case, and the girl admiting it. Introduced Akechi past, and twenty face origin three episodes before the end, the show never had any direction. Expecting something more interesting the next week.
Aug 21, 2015 8:22 PM

Dec 2013
Loved the episode. They did well to bring up Akechi's past, including the reason for his obsession with the 20 Faces, and his motivation to stop each and every one of them.

I don't believe his "friend" is dead. The way he went out was way too dramatic.
HESTIAAPPROVES
Aug 21, 2015 9:20 PM

Jul 2014
Possibly the most mind boggling episode of Ranpo yet. Day late response, but I had to rewatch the second half twice to grasp what it's trying to entail with all the symbolism, foreshadowing, and heavy details, but even so some parts are just beyond me.

The butterfly effect, a process where if one person changes the balance with something small, others will follow and make it into a larger entity that can't be eliminated like a demon no matter how hard the police tries. In this case, it's to seek justice on those who have done heinous acts, but in reality it's like crime is spurring on more crime.

My interpretation is that Akechi's friend, the first Twenty Faces, intended shine light on on the dark world (eerily coinciding with the lyrics of the ending song) by making this "pseudo" villian but even though he failed at that, he didn't want to admit it so he tried to force his ideal through admittedly "broken" wings. The flaw I think is that he needed that spark, meaning his sacrifice as this sort of martyr. To save something, you have to give something in turn. Although I doubt Akechi's friend is actually dead, it makes me afraid since there's heavy foreshadowing of MC's potential death/sacrifice or that he will resemble or even become the main Twenty Faces in that way.

About the first case, again, I sympathize with the newest Twenty Faces so much, which is understandable, since the Twenty Faces are always portrayed as the victims trying to bring justice through a fitting revenge upon criminals who deserve it, no matter how unrealistic it is. I really liked how Akechi said he's similar to Kagami and the girl in this episode because it shows how he's not arrogant or in mental denial but that he understands the situation realistically and wants to deal with it in his own way with his own power. But, MC will definitely play a big role in it.

Despite this huge glob of my opinions and viewpoints, there are probably a gazillion of interpretations some way more accurate than others. Please fill me in if I'm missing important details. So many thoughts are going through my head upon seeing this episode so it's hard to get them all down, even though I normally do not watch horror/thrillers at all. I really love the OST in this episode, but generally, Ranpo's music is extremely well done. Regardless of the fact that the last couple of episodes before this one weren't great, I still have high expectations for the next episode since the anime is actually touching the main plot and giving Akechi development.
raisa864Aug 21, 2015 9:27 PM
Aug 22, 2015 7:21 AM

Jun 2015

The best character on the show
Aug 22, 2015 2:08 PM
Feb 2011
the way they instantly find out who is the culprit is really fucking annoying
Aug 22, 2015 2:51 PM

Jul 2009
Dang, felt bad for the girl who did it but still doesn't really explain how Akechi figured it out. Selling her body like that and not even changing anything ... to be the "model" for the mannequins ... dang yeah, that is creepy >_< I guess she was just pushed past her breaking point and killed the two for it ... D:
The second half with Akechi's past and the origins of Twenty Faces was really interesting. So it was a creation from their "formula" and they wanted to make "demon" who could influence society ... too bad that Akechi saw the "mistakes" that were there D: Then the other guy (Namekochi or something?) ended up burning himself ... I guess maybe he realized that it wasn't working so well? I mean he wanted to "prove" its perfection ... I mean they were so young too! I guess Akechi must've still been in junior high ... so that means he's only a high schooler now then ... pretty heavy stuff >_<
Aug 22, 2015 6:04 PM

Jul 2011
EvianBubble said:
so that means he's only a high schooler now then ... pretty heavy stuff >_<

they said at the very start of the anime that he has 17 years, if i remember correctly.
Aug 23, 2015 4:05 PM
Apr 2015
Felt bad for the girl but it was pretty interesting learning more about twenty faces and Akechi's past
Aug 23, 2015 8:44 PM

Dec 2014
One of the better episodes. Case aside, it was interesting learning about Akechi's past.
Aug 24, 2015 12:17 PM

Jul 2009
Poor girl, that was a creepy way of being used...
We finally were able to see a bit of Akechi's past.
Aug 25, 2015 7:44 AM

Jul 2013
ahahahaha this was SO GAY

for fuck sake is this show going to keep trying so hard to look smart?
and as most people said, the culprits keep saying "yea i killed him" after getting asked once with no solid evidence
jeez
Aug 26, 2015 10:35 AM
Jul 2018
I want to feel bad for her, I really do but she willingly sold her body to them which is a stupid move no matter how I look at it since there wasn't a guarantee they'll actually do what they agreed on. I mean it was happening before and no one did anything about it so why stop now kind of thing... I am glad that she killed them though. I didn't think his friend would be the first 20 faces!! Even better yet that he helped create the existence!! I'm kind of looking forward to see other crimes by one of them.
Aug 27, 2015 4:41 AM

Nov 2011
No new episode this week.

There's a sports event that airs in this place instead.
https://twitter.com/noitamina2010/status/636864353795309573
Stark700Aug 27, 2015 4:46 AM
Aug 27, 2015 1:14 PM

Jun 2014
Stark700 said:

Thanks for the heads up
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Aug 27, 2015 2:00 PM

Mar 2009
Stark700 said:

Thanks Stark. I was wondering why it wasn't out.
Sep 4, 2015 7:51 AM

Jan 2015
that was pretty interesting
Sep 4, 2015 5:08 PM

Mar 2014
Some interesting background behind Twenty Faces. Episode felt a little slow at times, but that might be just me.
MAL: A community that thinks every anime is bad, but rates everything a 7/10.
Sep 12, 2015 11:23 AM

Dec 2010
2nd best episode.

StrawberryRain said:
Some interesting background behind Twenty Faces. Episode felt a little slow at times, but that might be just me.
On the contrary it was more content heavy than about every other episode.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ranpo Kitan: Game of Laplace Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 17, 2015

146 by Archean-Return »»
Dec 4, 2023 11:47 AM

Poll: » Ranpo Kitan: Game of Laplace Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 3, 2015

70 by Archean-Return »»
Dec 4, 2023 10:45 AM

Poll: » Ranpo Kitan: Game of Laplace Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Takuan_Soho - Jul 30, 2015

235 by Archean-Return »»
Dec 4, 2023 8:35 AM

Poll: » Ranpo Kitan: Game of Laplace Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 23, 2015

137 by Archean-Return »»
Dec 4, 2023 8:06 AM

Poll: » Ranpo Kitan: Game of Laplace Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jul 16, 2015

206 by Archean-Return »»
Dec 4, 2023 6:58 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.