Forum Settings
Forums
New
Sep 9, 2015 3:05 AM

Aug 2011
I've read a few profiles of users on MAL and it seems like a handful of users are struggling with emotional problems like depression or anxiety.

If you suffer from these issues, how do you deal with it? Do you engage in activities you enjoy to ignore it?

Even if you do not have depression/anxiety, how do you deal with general sadness? Or the feeling of hopelessness?
incisorr said:
i love it when people start acting like some neutral almighty unbiased godly judge and they even believe their own shit, suddenly its not their thoughts and opinions anymore but the righteous justice god way, they are unbiased, non-subjective, they just are! To be honest, everyone is like this quite often, me included, but i don't forget myself and i still post a lot of personal shit which is what forums are made for , if they didn't want us to have our own style and posts it would be an article instead a forum thread.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Sep 9, 2015 3:16 AM

Dec 2012
Drugs always helps!

I've never been tested for depression or anxiety, but I tend to keep to myself and play games when I'm feeling down in the dumps.

Sep 9, 2015 3:35 AM

Jan 2015
Keep yourself busy with other things like studying, work or watching anime. I only tend to think about those things when I'm alone.

Sep 9, 2015 3:36 AM

Aug 2011
kuuderu said:
I usually stroll somewhere.
Don't take drugs or alcohol,
it will make things worse.
Yeah, you're gonna be in more trouble if you get addicted.
incisorr said:
i love it when people start acting like some neutral almighty unbiased godly judge and they even believe their own shit, suddenly its not their thoughts and opinions anymore but the righteous justice god way, they are unbiased, non-subjective, they just are! To be honest, everyone is like this quite often, me included, but i don't forget myself and i still post a lot of personal shit which is what forums are made for , if they didn't want us to have our own style and posts it would be an article instead a forum thread.
Sep 9, 2015 3:43 AM

Jun 2015
NekkoArc said:
I've read a few profiles of users on MAL and it seems like a handful of users are struggling with emotional problems like depression or anxiety.

If you suffer from these issues, how do you deal with it? Do you engage in activities you enjoy to ignore it?

Even if you do not have depression/anxiety, how do you deal with general sadness? Or the feeling of hopelessness?

I'm one of them, unfortunately. The lack of love and a job bother me the most.

I don't have a bulletproof system to fight it. I try to occupy myself with other things, to think of something else, to surround myself with people I like/love... Also I'm a hopeless optimist and I always believe that things are going to get better. If it wasn't for that optimism, I don't know what state would I be in today.

I respect your opinion as long as you respect mine.
Sep 9, 2015 3:54 AM

Aug 2011
Sorry to hear that daky-kun.
I would say optimists are more bulletproof to depression/anxiety than pessimists though.
incisorr said:
Sep 9, 2015 3:57 AM

Jan 2015
1. Depression: Suck it up and deal with it. You are a privileged 1st world middle class male. Stop being a faggot and deal with it.

2. Anxiety: Recognize the fact that no ones cares about you or your failures because they are too busy caring about themselves and their own failures. Recognize that assholes are not worth your time. Man up and dont be a beta cuck. I also recognize the fact that I am above average in skill and intellect. So I already feel a sense of security in my self esteem.

Thats how I deal with it.
Sep 9, 2015 4:05 AM

Jan 2015
I don't have depression.

:D
Sep 9, 2015 4:06 AM

Jan 2014
I just dealt with it. Eventually got over my depression.
LionCake said:
1. Depression: Suck it up and deal with it. You are a privileged 1st world middle class male. Stop being a faggot and deal with it.
^ This
I love Christine

"If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours. He will put some things behind, will pass an invisible boundary; In proportion as he simplifies his life, the laws of the universe will appear less complex, and solitude will not be solitude, nor poverty poverty, nor weakness weakness." - Henry David Thoreau

Sep 9, 2015 4:08 AM

Jun 2009
Just start being happy. It worked for me.

(If I keep telling myself that maybe it comes true some day?)
Sep 9, 2015 4:51 AM

Mar 2008
how do you deal with it?
I dont. Just distractions and talking to people. Drinking when I can but usually dont have anything available.

Do you engage in activities you enjoy to ignore it?
Not much joy from anything any more but I try
Sep 9, 2015 4:59 AM

Aug 2013
How do you survive it you mean.

Sheer willpower.
Sep 9, 2015 5:05 AM

Nov 2012
I don't. I can't just distract myself with something else because when I feel anxious or depressed I can't think of anything else but the thing that makes me feel horrible. I usually just go to my bedroom and lie in bed like a sack of potatoes for hours, feeling miserable. Although, if the feelings are not that strong, distraction can help in most cases. Talking about some random stuff with friends is a good distraction for me.
Come here and play with my darkness
Sep 9, 2015 5:30 AM

Sep 2015
I've been struggling with depression and anxiety for about five years now.

For the first few years, I masked my issues with marijuana. It made it so that I was able to be happy on a daily basis, but it held me back and kept me from growing and accomplishing my goals, I had to leave it behind. I will say that as far as drugs go it was the most effective at keeping me content with the least amount of side effects.

After I was hospitalized for depression related stuff for a while, I went through several periods of trying out different combinations of prescription drugs. All of them turned me into a zombie and caused me to feel explosively frustrated when not under influence, those were terrible drugs.

These days, I don't use any drugs, I even stay from alcohol, weed and caffeine unless I'm at a social event. I work hard to change the situations that are the cause of my depression every day, and while it doesn't necessarily make me feel better in the short run it gives me direction and a reason to do something. I still have terrible days filled with horror, but ultimately I am moving towards solving my problems. Drugs are never the answer, they will hold you back. They are easy because they make you feel good, but someday you're going to regret it and feel much, much worse. People never seem to listen to this advice, but I still give it in case it helps somebody.
Sep 9, 2015 5:30 AM

Jan 2013
Workout and not watching Evangelion, Texhnolyze etc.
Sep 9, 2015 5:31 AM

Jul 2014
traed said:
how do you deal with it?
I dont. Just distractions and talking to people.

Do you engage in activities you enjoy to ignore it?
Not much joy from anything any more but I try
Wecc said:
All hail HaXXspetten king of the loli traps!
Sep 9, 2015 5:31 AM

Jan 2015
Sentionaut said:
I've been struggling with depression and anxiety for about five years now.

For the first few years, I masked my issues with marijuana. It made it so that I was able to be happy on a daily basis, but it held me back and kept me from growing and accomplishing my goals, I had to leave it behind. I will say that as far as drugs go it was the most effective at keeping me content with the least amount of side effects.

After I was hospitalized for depression related stuff for a while, I went through several periods of trying out different combinations of prescription drugs. All of them turned me into a zombie and caused me to feel explosively frustrated when not under influence, those were terrible drugs.

These days, I don't use any drugs, I even stay from alcohol, weed and caffeine unless I'm at a social event. I work hard to change the situations that are the cause of my depression every day, and while it doesn't necessarily make me feel better in the short run it gives me direction and a reason to do something. I still have terrible days filled with horror, but ultimately I am moving towards solving my problems. Drugs are never the answer, they will hold you back. They are easy because they make you feel good, but someday you're going to regret it and feel much, much worse. People never seem to listen to this advice, but I still give it in case it helps somebody.
^
Sep 9, 2015 5:34 AM

Mar 2013
Meditation.
Sep 9, 2015 5:48 AM

Mar 2015
Youve gotta except it as part of you, give it an identity, then combine your drive with it to double your strength. And when your in that mind state remember you will survive this just like you always have. Then try to focus on something productive. Also put on heavy clothing to stay warm to help the shaking.
Sep 9, 2015 5:56 AM

Sep 2013
fight with yourself or search help~
Follow sui-u on tumblr~ best tumblr all time!~ <3
http://sui-u.tumblr.com/
Sep 9, 2015 6:17 AM

Jan 2012
90% of the time depression has a reason for being there. Whether that is because you are unhappy because of your lifestyle, whether you feel happy in your career/what you are studying , or whether or not you lack any confidence and don't feel worthy of anything.

For me it was the last two. I didn't feel happy regardless of what I tried to do. I tried to exercise , I tried maintaining a good sleep schedule , however it always went back to it's old rotten self and I kept feeling miserable. I was wasting away never going out , never showing any emotion. Then something strange happened. I got asked by a friend if I was keep on applying for a job opening where he was working as they needed a programmer. (Till that time I hadn't even tried looking for a job simply because I doubted & hated myself) However after I attended the job interview (And didn't get it) I strangely enough didn't get a knockdown like many people. I instead got a huge confidence boost , I realized that things aren't as difficult as they seem and that I needed to try harder. Which I did.

Slowly but surely things have been improving. My sleeping patterns have gotten better on their own. I sit in the sun daily for around 30 min (Vitamin D helps fight depression). I started feeling love towards my family and friends again. Honestly my main reason for telling this is to essentially tell you that if you have any doubts in yourself then simply get out there and do something no matter how bad things look. Don't just sit at home wasting away. Either get active and go gym , or go find a job etc.

Good luck to anyone out there struggling with depression.
Sep 9, 2015 7:25 AM
Oct 2014
It's hard to give a general advice, since people have different reasons for feeling depressed and anxious. More people than one might think go through some sort of depression in life, and may even get out of it without professional help.
Though some people will experience what we could call actual or/and major depression, which you probably need help for to get out of it, and it will take a long time. It might even be so, that you will never get over it alive.

My advises is that you should not hold on to people that are destructive for you. Distance yourself from them, and work on relations with people who actually gives a damn about you, that won't only be there as long as you are the benefactor to him or her. It doesn't matter what status, age or whatever the person is.
If you feel like you are always the one who gives, something's wrong. Some people may even be so destructive for you, so it's better to be alone.

The other thing, is to not stay at home for too long periods of time. Even though you are alone, go to some event or meeting, go to the library, or just even take a walk around town. Make sure that you at least see people.
Don't go around hungry, eat fruit and be in the sun.

If you drink alcohol, make sure you don't get hangovers. They will give you anxiety 2.7.

Reading is good for your character. Read novels, mangas, as well as texts on subjects like history, psychology, biology, etc, etc. You will both learn something and distract yourself for a while.
It will help you to know your place and context, get a grip on society and who you want to be and can be.

Sep 9, 2015 7:43 AM

Sep 2014
I mostly just try to distract myself whenever depression kicks in, and it always tends to show up rather randomly. I don't really know how to "deal" with it, but keeping my mind occupied until I slowly start to feel more normal again has always worked for me, albeit it may not be the best strategy, I wouldn't really know.
Sep 9, 2015 8:25 AM

Jul 2012
the state of being depressed is easily helped with meds. but it doesn't address the underlying problems

anxiety is trickier, you can go on Xanax, Valium etc. but they are addictive. and again, they don't solve your problems, they simply alleviate the real issues

imo? drugs are generally good at helping the immediate problems, but you need to address what else has happened/happening in your life that is causing the pain
Sep 9, 2015 10:21 AM
Jul 2018
I take it as best I can everyday. The mental exhaustion eventually catches up and I usually end asleep.
Sep 9, 2015 10:22 AM

May 2014
Ignore it
I've been here way too long...
Sep 9, 2015 11:26 AM

Nov 2008
I take my medicines, also I try to do things that I atleast used to enjoy and it kinda helps sometimes too.
Maybe make a cuppa tea? Generally trying all kinds of relaxing things like listening to nature sounds also helps.
Also I try not to read new because they make me anxious, I can't stand the cruel things in them and the gossipy nature in some magazines etc.
Sep 9, 2015 11:54 AM

Mar 2013
I just put up with it or try to ignore it like one of these guys said
drugs are fun when depressed but once my high has finished I feel even more horrible than before
Sep 9, 2015 12:19 PM

Jun 2015
I take my meds (adderall / ativan) or I deal with it. Sometimes I sleep/ watch anime.
Sep 9, 2015 12:23 PM
Sep 9, 2015 12:52 PM

Mar 2008
daintybiscuit said:
the state of being depressed is easily helped with meds. but it doesn't address the underlying problems

anxiety is trickier, you can go on Xanax, Valium etc. but they are addictive. and again, they don't solve your problems, they simply alleviate the real issues

imo? drugs are generally good at helping the immediate problems, but you need to address what else has happened/happening in your life that is causing the pain
Its a placebo.

"Antidepressants are supposed to work by fixing a chemical imbalance, specifically, a lack of serotonin in the brain. Indeed, their supposed effectiveness is the primary evidence for the chemical imbalance theory. But analyses of the published data and the unpublished data that were hidden by drug companies reveals that most (if not all) of the benefits are due to the placebo effect. Some antidepressants increase serotonin levels, some decrease it, and some have no effect at all on serotonin. Nevertheless, they all show the same therapeutic benefit. Even the small statistical difference between antidepressants and placebos may be an enhanced placebo effect, due to the fact that most patients and doctors in clinical trials successfully break blind. The serotonin theory is as close as any theory in the history of science to having been proved wrong. Instead of curing depression, popular antidepressants may induce a biological vulnerability making people more likely to become depressed in the future."
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4172306/
Sep 9, 2015 12:54 PM

Jun 2015
traed said:
daintybiscuit said:

Its a placebo.

"Antidepressants are supposed to work by fixing a chemical imbalance, specifically, a lack of serotonin in the brain. Indeed, their supposed effectiveness is the primary evidence for the chemical imbalance theory. But analyses of the published data and the unpublished data that were hidden by drug companies reveals that most (if not all) of the benefits are due to the placebo effect. Some antidepressants increase serotonin levels, some decrease it, and some have no effect at all on serotonin. Nevertheless, they all show the same therapeutic benefit. Even the small statistical difference between antidepressants and placebos may be an enhanced placebo effect, due to the fact that most patients and doctors in clinical trials successfully break blind. The serotonin theory is as close as any theory in the history of science to having been proved wrong. Instead of curing depression, popular antidepressants may induce a biological vulnerability making people more likely to become depressed in the future."
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4172306/

and here I thought the meds wern't working because something was wrong with ME. TIL.
Sep 9, 2015 12:55 PM

Jun 2014
I actually take a pill now for anxiety and by also distracting myself from it by playing videogames and watching anime.
Sep 10, 2015 8:17 AM

Jul 2013
I ignore life
Sep 10, 2015 9:56 AM
Jul 2018
It depends what I'm depressed over. But most of the time I just move on. For instance, my love life. I'm always depressed over it but well I can't help it (ok maybe I can but it takes a lot of courage, duh). So I either try or move on.
Sep 10, 2015 10:06 AM

Jul 2012
i suppose penicillin was a placebo as well.

if you have been there, you may have denied it or accepted it and tried to deal with it in any possible way. including meds.

to say that all psychiatric meds are placebos is to limit your understanding of scientific evidence, social experience, inner life, etc etc etc of those who suffer.
Sep 10, 2015 12:20 PM

Aug 2011
daintybiscuit said:

if you have been there, you may have denied it or accepted it and tried to deal with it in any possible way. including meds.

to say that all psychiatric meds are placebos is to limit your understanding of scientific evidence, social experience, inner life, etc etc etc of those who suffer.
Is this targeted at traed's post?
incisorr said:
Sep 10, 2015 3:03 PM

Jul 2012
NekkoArc said:
daintybiscuit said:

Is this targeted at traed's post?

no idea really
Sep 10, 2015 6:59 PM

Dec 2013
In my experiences with anxiety and depression, these are some of my stress relievers. And by means are any of these good for everyone.

- Hanging out with friends
- Drinking
- Smoking
- Seldom Drug Usage
- Watching anime / playing games
- Busy at work
- Exercising
- Listening to music
- Pets
- Vacation

Honestly just keep yourself busy so one/you doesn't have to think about the negatives in life or the situation you're in. You are the only one who can bring yourself up and down.
Sep 10, 2015 7:02 PM

Jul 2012
- Singing, music
- Writing, ranting
- Anime, manga, rhythm games
- Sleep through it
Sep 10, 2015 7:11 PM

Oct 2012
If all else fails, have someone hear you out.

But just don't whine on the forums about it like one particular dumbass on this forum right now.
Sep 10, 2015 7:23 PM

Jun 2014
I write.

Both in a journal as well as nonsense ramblings that sometimes link together. If I ever commit suicide the thing that intimidates me most is nothing being left behind from my life, no evidence. I understand the school shooter mentality because of this but don't agree with it, I don't feel any reason to punish just because of lack of acknowledgement. When I'm depressed my thoughts never stop racing so without an outlet of some kind it erupts unimaginably. I rarely vent to people because I don't want to seem as a burden or weaker than I am. I'm already diagnosed bipolar so I've already ruined so many connections with people, I'm not a loner but just like to take matters into my own hands. I've never tried anti-depressants but those would make feel even weaker, making me have to admit I can't conquer my emotions on my own. I'm currently on two medications, one for the disorder, and the other for hearing voices. Even more would make me feel less human and useless.

Exercise should be recommended but it just makes me hate myself more due to how incapable I am bodywise. I'll just go for walks with headphones on or something, even if it's night, being stuck in my house is the same as being stuck with the emotions.

I didn't realize how depressed I still am until writing this, my head feels the same as I remembered from then.
Sep 10, 2015 8:32 PM

Aug 2015
I don't know I've attempted to kill myself twice now but I failed. I guess I warp myself up in anime and my writing a lot and it keeps me calm but sometimes I feel like I'm drowning. My advice though I probably shouldn't be giving it focus on what you love and take everyday one at a time.
♫"Everyday's great at your Junes!"♫
Sep 10, 2015 8:40 PM

Apr 2015
Telling myself i'm Japanese. It doesn't fucking work.
My waifu, do not steal.
Sep 10, 2015 8:49 PM
May 2015
Dont have depression but i would assume its something along these lines:
1. Emotional support from a loved one
2. Therapy
3. SSRIs (if necessary)
EL PSY CONGROO
Sep 10, 2015 8:55 PM
Nov 2013
By looking in the mirror

It is pointless to get depressed because life is how you make it and it's not gonna change unless you change it for yourself. I understand it's considered a disease to some, but it's really just all in your head. Control how you think.
BlareySep 10, 2015 8:59 PM
Sep 10, 2015 8:58 PM

Nov 2014
Anapanasati meditation. Some people do Zazen, which is very similar. Both are good.
Sep 10, 2015 9:27 PM
May 2015
I don't.
Sep 10, 2015 9:29 PM

Jan 2014
I just lay down on my bed and try to forget about it the best I can
Sep 10, 2015 9:30 PM

Jun 2012
fuck you depression and fuck you, too, anxiety.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Are you a lucid dreamer?

Yuno - Sep 18

19 by Neterosan »»
1 minute ago

» What was your pooerest ever you have been?

HateFearHunger - Yesterday

29 by Lost_Viking »»
7 minutes ago

» Do you like dancing in September?

Adnash - 1 hour ago

3 by Noboru »»
7 minutes ago

» Am I the only one who doesnt like discord?

Bensku - 12 hours ago

34 by Lost_Viking »»
12 minutes ago

» Why do people abandon their friends for relationships?

Amityblight - Yesterday

39 by Zarutaku »»
14 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.