Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Jul 28, 2014 6:06 PM

Sep 2011
SolvyTwerk4Jesus said:
Urobuchi actually brought back most of the people he killed via movies and sequels atr this point.
only madoka did that, and it wasnt just the movies the series itself had that as an integral part of the plot

Gymkata said:
SolvyTwerk4Jesus said:
Urobuchi actually brought back most of the people he killed via movies and sequels atr this point.

Which has been the major source of my frustration. That, and the somewhat forced/asspull methods for eradicating his characters--Phantom I'm looking at you specifically.

I could had sworn i remember urabuchi saying something about how he didnt like phantom and that after it he went through a writing burnout or something until he made fate/zero

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Jul 28, 2014 6:16 PM

Sep 2011
I've enjoyed all of his work and that can be seen by my ratings. I think Gargantia was his worst work of them all that I've watched, but I still found it good—scratch that, Phantom was. He comes up with so many original creations and scripts, not to mention the soundtracks that come with the shows are just top-tier. The one problem I'll gripe at is the bringing people back. Yes, it was only done in Madoka but I thought Madoka ending was just fine and then the 3rd movie went and just... Blah.
Jul 28, 2014 6:46 PM

Dec 2013
JizzyHitler said:
SolvyTwerk4Jesus said:
only madoka did that, and it wasnt just the movies the series itself had that as an integral part of the plot

Gymkata said:

Which has been the major source of my frustration. That, and the somewhat forced/asspull methods for eradicating his characters--Phantom I'm looking at you specifically.

I could had sworn i remember urabuchi saying something about how he didnt like phantom and that after it he went through a writing burnout or something until he made fate/zero

Now that's interesting, didn't know that. Ironically, my least favorite of the three (Phantom), has some of my favorite music. I think I tired of F/Z's after so many listens.
Jul 28, 2014 7:43 PM

Mar 2014
I think his stories can be hit or miss.
Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom was the worst of his works in my opinion and I was surprised to find out he was the original creator of that series since it was just a huge disappointment.
Jul 28, 2014 8:08 PM

Jan 2014
Tyrel said:
I've enjoyed all of his work and that can be seen by my ratings. I think Gargantia was his worst work of them all that I've watched, but I still found it good—scratch that, Phantom was. He comes up with so many original creations and scripts, not to mention the soundtracks that come with the shows are just top-tier. The one problem I'll gripe at is the bringing people back. Yes, it was only done in Madoka but I thought Madoka ending was just fine and then the 3rd movie went and just... Blah.

he only write the first and last episode for gargantia
"This is boring...I'm bored..."
Jul 28, 2014 8:42 PM

Mar 2013
Zergneedsfood said:
Of the people who say Urobochi is a good writer, how many read the LN? Just curious.

I read the LN...well...parts of it. As usual, I can probably associate most of my criticisms as a function of translations just being bad, but.....eh. It's okay I guess.

LN of what?

The Fate/Zero LN fan translation is very inconsistent in quality, for example.
Jul 28, 2014 8:43 PM

Mar 2012
RLinksoul said:
SolvyTwerk4Jesus said:

He's a better writer than the guy who wrote SAO, and thats all you need these days.

Is the guy who wrote SAO a better writer than Stephenie Meyer? Cause that would really put things in perspective.
Yes. He's actually a pretty good writer. Not the best out there but reading his commentary for SAO II its obvious that he has put a lot of thought into everything contrary to popular belief.

While SAO definitely has its fair share of flaws most of the stuff you'll hear people complaining about is either blowing up minor details (Often irrelavent to whether or not the show's any good overall) and making them out to be major series breaking flaws or just pulling stuff out of their ass. At the very least, he's about 10 times smarter than the sort of people who use buzzwords like 'Twilight for Men' and 'Call of Duty Online'.

Urobuchi's way better though. Kawahara does have the capability to explore interesting themes and I like how he's able to weave lighter moments into a scenario which could just as easily turn into grimdark horseshit. But in general Urobuchi's stuff is far more ambitious and a lot less flawed. Well, with the exception of Psycho Pass of course.
Jul 28, 2014 8:56 PM

Jul 2012
Not sure how I feel about A.Z right now... It has none of that twisty turny content which Psycho Pass right on its first episode. :/
Jul 28, 2014 9:04 PM

Mar 2013
mayukachan said:
Not sure how I feel about A.Z right now... It has none of that twisty turny content which Psycho Pass right on its first episode. :/

Psycho-Pass had a hell of a first episode, although bizarrely the first 6 minutes of it were from like episode 16.

The thing is, Psycho-Pass jumped straight into the hard-hitting action and left all the exposition for later to the point where you would be kinda lost if you hadn't read the plot description beforehand.

A.Z episode 1 does exposition and premise setup first, then ends it with a missile strike and Hiroyuki Sawano orchestral bombing.
Jul 28, 2014 9:12 PM

Jul 2012
Is that a bad or good thing? I still can't tell. Maybe it's not a good idea to watch it weekly (for me at least)

I really liked how Zankyou no Terror did it though. It was very balanced in terms of dialogue/expo and the suspenseful events.
Jul 28, 2014 9:30 PM

Mar 2013
mayukachan said:
Is that a bad or good thing? I still can't tell. Maybe it's not a good idea to watch it weekly (for me at least)

I really liked how Zankyou no Terror did it though. It was very balanced in terms of dialogue/expo and the suspenseful events.

In fairness, Zankyou simply doesn't need to dump the same volume of information on the viewer, and in many ways Zankyou works because of what you don't tell the viewer.
Jul 28, 2014 9:33 PM

Feb 2012
I like the stories he's written, but I think he's bad at writing characters.
Jul 28, 2014 9:42 PM

Apr 2013
Yes he's one of my favourites, glory glory urobutcher
Jul 28, 2014 9:51 PM

Jan 2012
I've only seen Season 1 and a few scattered episodes of Season 2 of Black Lagoon so...I dunno. That show was decently enjoyable but I have no desire to rewatch or watch anymore of it. If he doesn't like happy stories for being too unrealistic though then I probably won't care much for his other work, I'm just not that big on sad or tragic anime. Life in general is sad enough as it is.
Jul 28, 2014 9:55 PM

Mar 2012
Urobuchi had nothing to do with Black Lagoon
Jul 28, 2014 9:58 PM

Jan 2012
Ah that link in the first post had Black Lagoon as one of the entries...unless I'm just misreading things...but if that's the case then I have no experience with any of his work at all.

EDIT: On closer inspection that is under the Light Novels section though, guess that doesn't automatically mean the anime has any relation to him then.
Jul 28, 2014 9:58 PM

Jul 2012
He's the only writer who's name I know so I like him.
Jul 28, 2014 10:02 PM

Nov 2012
He has crafted some amazing works so he's good in my books.
Jul 28, 2014 10:15 PM

Mar 2013
Slyr3do0n said:

He wrote Fate/Zero Rider. Your argument is invalid.

Though you could argue that he's inconsistent when it comes to writing characters.
Jul 29, 2014 4:44 AM
Oct 2010
fst said:
Slyr3do0n said:

Though you could argue that he's inconsistent when it comes to writing characters.

Pretty much, I don't say how people can watch FZ and say he's bad at characters, inconsistent? Definitely. Bad? Not by a longshot. FZ imo was definitely has best work in balancing themes and character development, he normally goes to an extra in either direction (mostly themes) but he did an amazing job there.
Jul 29, 2014 5:32 AM

May 2010
skyzblue said:
Nope. I don't like Urobuchi.
If Madoka is his best work, I'm not watching any of his other works. No thank you.

But who said it is his best work?
If you are a fan of (or simply interested in) Japanese films
then please join the Cinema of Japan club! Thank you (:

Jul 29, 2014 5:50 AM

Sep 2013
fst said:
Slyr3do0n said:

Rider and Homura are Urobutcher exceptions. The rest can come off as really bland at times. Kiritsugu, Akane, Kougami, Tokiomi.
Jul 29, 2014 11:03 AM

Mar 2013
Karazumi said:
fst said:

Rider and Homura are Urobutcher exceptions. The rest can come off as really bland at times. Kiritsugu, Akane, Kougami, Tokiomi.

I disagree.

Tokiomi is fucking hilarious.

Also he and Kiritsugu are partly Nasu's creation.
Jul 29, 2014 11:11 AM

Jul 2013
Karazumi said:

Rider and Homura are Urobutcher exceptions.

don't forget makishima shougo
orchidorkJul 29, 2014 12:37 PM
Jul 29, 2014 12:27 PM

Apr 2011
I think he's good at creating characters, but he's definitely not a very consistent one. Psycho-pass, for example, has characters that spew out a quote from some random famous guy every two seconds which makes it seem as if he's trying very hard to make us feel that these characters are smart and deep. Then we have characters like Alexander, who are rather realistically well-written. Said Psycho-pass also has some very nice character development without relying on the quote-spewing.

If I were to give an opinion on him, I'd say I don't particularly like him, but I don't hate his works either..... other than Madoka, that is. I just can't see what's so great about that show at all.
Jul 29, 2014 12:35 PM

May 2010
yhunata said:
I think he's good at creating characters, but he's definitely not a very consistent one. Psycho-pass, for example, has characters that spew out a quote from some random famous guy every two seconds which makes it seem as if he's trying very hard to make us feel that these characters are smart and deep. Then we have characters like Alexander, who are rather realistically well-written. Said Psycho-pass also has some very nice character development without relying on the quote-spewing.

If I were to give an opinion on him, I'd say I don't particularly like him, but I don't hate his works either..... other than Madoka, that is. I just can't see what's so great about that show at all.

I disagree. PP has very poor character development and instead of the constant quotes, you get book references 24/7

Jul 29, 2014 12:36 PM

Nov 2013
SeibaaHomu said:
Urobuchi had nothing to do with Black Lagoon
He's writing (or wrote) a novel adaptation of the manga.

fst said:
Karazumi said:

I disagree.

Tokiomi is fucking hilarious.

Also he and Kiritsugu are partly Nasu's creation.
Actually not partly, they are his creation. But still they were pretty good characters imo. Akane too.
Jul 29, 2014 1:00 PM

Apr 2011
bloodlover said:
I disagree. PP has very poor character development and instead of the constant quotes, you get book references 24/7

I'm gonna guess you haven't seen the extra scenes in the Extended Version?

Jul 29, 2014 7:14 PM

Mar 2012
Karazumi said:
fst said:

It sounds like you define 'bland' as acting like normal mature adults would in their situation rather than the usual 'cuh-ray-zee aneemay reactions XDDDD'

I'll give you Kougami but Kiritsugu, Akane and Tokiomi have very distinct personalities.
Jul 29, 2014 8:49 PM

Feb 2013
DerpHole said:
Just saw the first ep of Blassreiter.

What kind of garbage is this
Did you not notice that the studio is Gonzo?
It does get a little better later... but not enough to matter.

This is why I think the success of Madoka/Psycho-Pass have quite a bit more to do with the quality of the studio than the writer.
Jul 31, 2014 7:54 AM

May 2010
yhunata said:
bloodlover said:

I'm gonna guess you haven't seen the extra scenes in the Extended Version?

Jul 31, 2014 8:30 AM

Jul 2014
The title of Butcher really suits his style
- Gen Urobutcher
So far, I like most of his works (F/Z, Aldnoah and Psyho Pass)
So yes, i am on the butcher side.

Jul 31, 2014 9:37 AM

Nov 2013
Seiryuu2 said:
The title of Butcher really suits his style
- Gen Urobutcher
So far, I like most of his works (F/Z, Aldnoah and Psyho Pass)
So yes, i am on the butcher side.
3 shows does not make most of his works. Especially when one of which he only wrote the first 3 episodes, and the show itself is still incomplete, and another not actually being completely his work leaving only Psycho-Pass.
Aug 22, 2015 3:33 PM

Jun 2009
I'm a huge fan of all of his anime series, I've watched all of them. First series I saw of his was the excellent Fate/Zero which till this day is still my favourite anime of all time.

Aug 22, 2015 3:54 PM

Apr 2014
He's pretty "hit or miss" for me. Madoka and F/Z were pretty awesome, PP slightly less so, and the rest was pretty forgettable. I also didn't like the infamous Saya no Uta either.
Aug 22, 2015 3:58 PM
Jan 2014
Have only directly read one of his works that is Fate/Zero and that was excellent, so yes.
PP's anime was a bit of a let down when compared to FZ, though it's source must be better.
Aug 22, 2015 3:59 PM

Nov 2014
Who?

Aug 22, 2015 4:01 PM
Jan 2014
ExTamplier said:
Who?

The Butcher
Aug 22, 2015 4:25 PM

Jun 2015
I really liked Fate/Zero, though I was underwhelmed by Madoka Magica.
Aug 22, 2015 4:50 PM

Apr 2015
Ayakas Is the Necromancer.

Kill it before it raises more threads for his army.
Aug 22, 2015 5:01 PM

May 2014
I hate people who look like gropers in train especially those collaborating with the stoopid director of shaft that resulted with an abomination movie called rebellion (not sorry for my bad english)
quit jacking off on your waifu, you disgusting weaboo
Aug 22, 2015 5:44 PM

Jul 2013
MiChocoFudge said:
I hate people who look like gropers in train especially those collaborating with the stoopid director of shaft that resulted with an abomination movie called rebellion (not sorry for my bad english)

I think I read somewhere that the twist in Rebellion wasn't Urobuchi's idea.

OT: I love Urobutcher but I gotta agree that he's overrated as fvck. He writes interesting stories but his characters are so plain and boring.
Dull_LullAug 22, 2015 6:07 PM
Aug 22, 2015 5:57 PM

Mar 2015
I enjoy most of his works but I don't think they are that well written.
Aug 22, 2015 5:58 PM

May 2012
It is all subjective. Some people like him, others don't. It doesn't matter, objectivity doesn't exist.
Aug 22, 2015 6:01 PM

Mar 2015
PoeticJustice said:
It is all subjective. Some people like him, others don't. It doesn't matter, objectivity doesn't exist.

well that's subjective
Aug 22, 2015 6:03 PM

May 2012
HeroKenzan said:
PoeticJustice said:

well that's subjective

Aug 22, 2015 6:14 PM

Feb 2013
His name means nothing to mean tbh, especially if all he writes is the initial premise and the beginning (lAldnoah.Zero and Gunslinger Stratos)
Aug 22, 2015 6:44 PM
Jun 2015
The script writer of Futari no Ecchi is a superior writer to Ken Urobuchi. It is not a joke.
Aug 22, 2015 6:49 PM

Mar 2013
15poundfish said:
The script writer of Futari no Ecchi is a superior writer to Ken Urobuchi. It is not a joke.

That Ken Urobuchi guy sure hasn't written anything worth watching.
Aug 22, 2015 6:57 PM
Apr 2015
His ideas are good. Sometimes he excels in story buildup and plot progression. But his character writing are weak in general. Basically he depends too much on theme and atmosphere of a story.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

» Adventure/Action Shounen with the Best and Worst ROMANCE (just the ones that even tried)

Rob7 - 22 minutes ago

2 by Zarutaku »»
1 minute ago

» Best tearjerking anime in the 2020's (there are any?) ( 1 2 )

Rob7 - Jul 9

53 by alshu »»
4 minutes ago

» What seasonal anime had disappointed you over time this season?

Zakatsuki_ - 3 hours ago

31 by BigMac7 »»
5 minutes ago

Poll: » Best character with finite mana

Catalano - 6 hours ago

12 by phantom346 »»
8 minutes ago

» 🌸Anime Spring 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 )

ISeeLifePeople - Sep 5

187 by TheMinkalex »»
9 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.