Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
KATANAGATARI
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]
Aug 12, 2017 9:27 AM

Sep 2015
First of all let me say. Togame's new look is really cute. Which may be a comparatively unimportant takeaway from this episode. But I'm a fan. A lot happened here holy crap. If the last episode hadn't just outright spoiled it. I would not have expected Nanami's story to play out like that. It was still kind of surprising. I personally don't think Nanami really wanted to die. I think her criticism of Togame's usage of Shichika betrayed that she has her own values and expectations. That beneath the duty and years of isolation. She's her own person who didn't need to end up this way.

Nanami is a fairly confounding character though. And while it was what she wanted. I find myself slightly sad at her death. I guess maybe it's the "Unforgiven" end of an era vibe this series has been giving off since Episode 1. Where Shichika is the last Kyotoryou and quite possibly will be the end of the line. The last piece of his past being severed is sort of heavy. Even though he's grown tremendously since the beginning.

On a final note really dug the video game scenes. Like Nanami's assault and Togame and Shichika's arrival. Some have speculated they opted to animate them that way for money issues. But I think it's worth noting both scenes are flashbacks. And neither looks all that terrible especially the Nanami bullet hell. Oh yeah and that song that played right before the credits was fire.
Nov 24, 2017 11:12 PM
Jul 2017
Anyone happen to know the name of the song playing in the background when Hitei-hime is talking around about 18:30ish into the episode?
Apr 24, 2018 5:16 PM

Aug 2007
"Lay Back" by Lotus Juice is an awesome song choice at the end there.
LycanApr 24, 2018 5:20 PM

May 14, 2018 10:31 PM

Aug 2015
With how interesting Nanami's character is, I definitely thought that she could be the final boss in this series in which Shichika need to face also wishing that preview is a troll with the blatant spoiling but oh well just like what other people said even though with the way she had to massacre all those innocent people just to reach this point which is completely unreasonable, in a way good to see her finally attain the peace she wanted. Press F for Nanami for being a great character.

Also am I the only one that actually like Togame's new hair I mean I definitely prefer her long hair but I mean short hair is still just fine and the hair cutting scene is so badass. Also the art style change is definitely not as bad as what other people are trying to say as it doesn't interfere with my enjoyment. I also chuckle a bit with the video game ref which is kind of unexpected, never change show.
May 18, 2018 12:16 AM

May 2016
I liked the instances where they pretty much handled the flashback like a video game. Togame's multiple embarrassing kabuki poses were real fun watching too.

It's tragic to see a family that's that okay with killing each other because they see themselves as mere swords. Nanami could've lived but she was suffering the whole time because of her unstable battle prowess. At least she managed to teach Shichika a valuable piece of advice before getting put down.

Seeing Togame wrap her hair around Shichika was very amusing but she really rocks that haircut. She looks fiercer and more calculated like how a military adviser would look for some reason. The way she got that haircut could've left the person head beside heels real quick though...

The next blade's a robot wow

Sep 28, 2018 6:28 AM

Dec 2016
An all around great episode and one I wasn't expecting to happen this early, cuz tbh I thought this would be the finale but I guess not lol
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Oct 11, 2018 5:44 AM

Nov 2016
Nanami turned out to be an even more interesting character than originally thought. I was expecting a sibling duel, but not in this episode.

Sad, yet at the same time beautiful.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jan 7, 2019 5:58 PM

Jan 2017
Nanami was too strong so god had to nerf her.

Imagine if Nanami had the body to be able to use her full power. Wow.

The cute little scene at the end where Nanami was eating watermelon while Shichika was sleeping beside her made me soft.
Sorry for my English.
Feb 5, 2019 6:17 AM

Dec 2016
Ouch. His sister is strong af, what the fuck. Was getting kinda annoyed by her Rei like personality, glad she died.
Jun 26, 2019 2:35 AM

Sep 2018
One of the better episodes so far. I'mma miss Nanami T_T
Liked the longer hair on Togame tho.
Sep 7, 2019 5:49 AM

May 2018
Pretty much the most memorable episode of the series, Nanami will be missed along with Togame's hair. Despite being a sadist she is still a great sister, the fight was awesome too, full of combos. Nothing to say much but, I really love how Nanami fights.

Dec 10, 2019 5:51 PM

Aug 2017
I feel bad for Nanami. She just went insane.

5 episodes more :(
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Jun 2, 2020 6:25 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
One of the best episode i've seen in a while, it was just perfect.
Jun 20, 2020 6:04 PM
Jul 2018
I'm going to miss nanami 😔
Jul 4, 2020 5:10 AM

Apr 2014
Im curious what happened to the animation with this episode. The writing too felt a bit weaker than previous episodes IMO.
Sep 10, 2020 1:43 AM

Sep 2018
What a let down! I like Nanami but she became a murderer :(
I thought she wants to help Shichika but then.. she wants to die..

it's funny how she cut Togame's hair, it's so straight XD no need salon for it.
erenmeiiSep 10, 2020 10:34 PM
Sep 23, 2020 7:28 PM

Jul 2013
Really solid episode even if it was the same time very depressing. Nanami became a cruel murderer just so that she would fight her brother and maybe had a chance to die.

The style where they animated some scenes like a video game was surprising but nothenless cool.

In the first fight Nanami showed that normally nobody would ever beat her. The sharingan would be jeleaous about her eyes. But just thinking about it that she made herself weaker by using the abilities of her opponents as well as when she put Akuto Bita in her chest is crazy. It was just to much power for her little weak body to handle.

The whole story around her and the Yasuri family is darker as I had thought. Even if it were just memories, the things her dad and mom said in the past were so cruel. I'm sure this was also a reason why she just wanted to die.

The strategy for the last fight was perfect by Togame. Not only was she able to tell Shichika his weaknes, she also used the element of surprise and got Nanami off guard. I don't even want to imagine how Shichika must have felt when he gave Nanami the final blow. :(

Oh and I personally love Togames new hairstyle. What a wholesome moment at the end between Shichika and Togame. Even with the fact that Shichika lost his sister his still has Togame <3

Dec 5, 2020 5:10 PM
Towel Attendant

Dec 2014
Togame lost her hair and now has short hair. The reminds me of Senjougahara, Hitagi in Bakemonogatari when she started out with long hair and it got cut short later on. This show has several things that remind me of that series but since I liked that series, this one is just fine. A very good episode with tons of back story. Looks like the next episode continues with more backstory to flesh out the characters.

Dec 16, 2020 7:42 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Outstanding episode on every level. Such a shame for family to have to kill each other though.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Feb 8, 2021 12:22 PM

Jan 2017
The death of Nanami devastated me. It brought back the pain of Clannad. She shares a seiyuu with Nagisa, Nakahara Mai and sounds to similar. It was 1/2 an hour before I could function again.
Apr 20, 2021 7:46 AM

Mar 2021
This was a chore to sit through. The massacre scene at the beginning definitely made me check out. Everything after that felt forced, and I just rolled my eyes at the show making her death all sad. Like, come on girl, just run a blade through your own throat if you're so desperate to end it.
Aug 1, 2021 11:00 PM

Dec 2018
i actually didn't care for her at all
Oct 10, 2021 3:31 AM

Aug 2016
henry_tbags said:
This was a chore to sit through. The massacre scene at the beginning definitely made me check out. Everything after that felt forced, and I just rolled my eyes at the show making her death all sad. Like, come on girl, just run a blade through your own throat if you're so desperate to end it.

Strongly agree, kinda baffles me that most people enjoyed this episode. I'm just glad it's over, I have zero sympathy for Nanami.
Jul 7, 2022 6:39 AM
Aug 2014
mah hart, mah sole T - T
Aug 23, 2022 3:49 AM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
Dang... so after all that, we're just gonna go back to collecting swords huh? What event bigger than having to fight your own sister could they have to end it all with?

On a side note I like how the time passed in the anime seems to align quite perfectly with the time passed in real life when this was airing, which would be 6 or 7 months.

NYANPASU
whiskey tango foxtrot

Apr 25, 7:04 AM
Oct 2020
nanami might be one of my favorite characters of all time..
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Katanagatari Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

removed-user - Jan 25, 2010

335 by puffle9000 »»
Sep 28, 10:59 PM

Poll: » Katanagatari Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Hatsuyuki - Sep 11, 2012

144 by AoButa16 »»
Aug 18, 7:24 AM

Poll: » Katanagatari Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Dec 10, 2010

632 by dspr »»
May 24, 11:46 AM

Poll: » Katanagatari Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Hana-kei - Apr 16, 2010

420 by valennienana »»
Apr 22, 6:30 AM

Poll: » Katanagatari Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

removed-user - Feb 8, 2010

180 by ariharan_ars »»
Feb 3, 10:31 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.