Forum Settings
Forums

Japan's Yearly Manga & Light Novel Rankings for 2014

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Dec 1, 2014 7:51 AM

Jul 2010
One Piece as always where it should be.On a damn throne!
Happy for Haikyuu, TG and Magi.Gintama should be way higher tho.

Marocas said:
Btw, I didn't watch/read Tokyo Ghoul, is it really that good?
Don't bother to watch anime, just go and read manga, which is really awesome.
Dec 1, 2014 7:59 AM

Dec 2013
Z4k said:
Civille said:

Remember one piece is 15year manga right?I loved snk manga,
but i cant compare a 3 year manga to a 15year one piece!Their ages are different unlike their sales!

What does one piece being a 15 year old manga have to do with the sales? lol so what?

What makes one piece to be a 15 years old manga?
Do you believe before Whitebeard arc the sales was the same until now?
Do you believe snk will continue to be the top rankings?
Because i dontThe ages of a new or old manga it matters thats my opinion even if i was the only one to believe!
Dec 1, 2014 9:07 AM

Jun 2013
One Piece ruling the roost once again :D
What a second half year for One Piece.. Almost 4 million copies behind SnK and still managed to beat it and be at the top..
Dec 1, 2014 9:35 AM

Jun 2011
I couldn't be happier to see One Piece on top. I almost got a heart attack not really lol when I click into this thread. I was so sure that One Piece would lose because it was half the amount SnK sold by the mid-year point. Props to Shingeki no Kyojin and Isayama sensei for doing so well this year. Kimi ni Todoke is still selling so well! Good! I still want it to end soon so that I can marathon the series already, but.. well.. I don't really mind if sensei is going to take her/his time with it.

I am disappointed to see Nisekoi still doing that well, good for the mangaka, but that means WSJ is just gonna keep milking it.

Now, Biblia anime when? If I remember correctly, the LN has been topping the per volume list since it came out.

Congratulation to all the manga that made it onto the list. Oh, and I am glad to see sports series are doing well in Japan.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Dec 1, 2014 9:37 AM

Sep 2013
Marocas said:
Btw, I didn't watch/read Tokyo Ghoul, is it really that good?

Yes, but don't bother with the anime. The manga however is gold.
Dec 1, 2014 9:40 AM

Jan 2014
Holly shit, Nanatsu no Taizai sold almost 5 millions :O So nice

Lol, what? Mahouka sold more than SAO? are you shiting me?...
Oh or no, if you add Progressive volume, SAO sold much more.
Dec 1, 2014 9:58 AM

Dec 2013
Marocas said:
I'm seeing some people saying what they don't know, so I'm going to clear it up for them.
One Piece isn't losing popularity, when a volume comes out, it sales pratically around the same as it always did ( 2.5-3 million) but the sales are decreasing because the people stopped catching up to it after the boom of Marineford, but the sales per volume are the same, and it increased since Marineford, which the best volume sold was around 2.59 million.
Now, I've seen some people say that SNK would beat OP if it wasn't a monthly series, how can you say that? SNK wouldn't be as well drawn and well planned out if it was a weekly series, Oda can do it in a week, but Isayama can't that's why he needs more time to bring the good quality, if it didn't have the same quality, it wouldn't be selling as much.

You people should read this.
And latest chapters of SnK was bad, while it's very likely for OP to get an arc boost soon, don't expect any arc boost for SnK, so it's very unlikely SnK will top OP in the future. OP is safe until at least another 3-4 years.
Dec 1, 2014 10:24 AM

Sep 2013
Wilhelmina said:
And latest chapters of SnK was bad

Someone gets it :)
The only reason snk keeps selling is because the volume only buyers don't know it's become a different genre filled with lame bs :(
Expect the sales to drop soon.
TyrelDec 1, 2014 8:21 PM
Dec 1, 2014 10:35 AM

Apr 2014
Nanatsu no Taizai - 4M that's amazing. I think i'm gonna start the reading the manga, the anime is really good.
Dec 1, 2014 10:37 AM

Jun 2013
I'm really happy for Haikyuu!! Number 3 with 8+ million sales. Also in the top 10, 3 of the manga are sports that's pretty cool.
Dec 1, 2014 11:02 AM

Jun 2014
Toriko
> Heavily promote by Shonen Jump like it is next big thing
> Leech off One Piece and Drangon Ball popularity. by having unwanted cross-over many times.
> Got wank by some user as best manga ever (lol)
> Not even in top 30

Pathetic
MonomunuDec 1, 2014 11:08 AM
Dec 1, 2014 11:02 AM

Aug 2007
well, shounen manga is the dominant in the market. Only I saw Kimi ni todoke in shoujo and Chuhayafuru in josei.
Dec 1, 2014 11:11 AM

Dec 2012
minimiau said:
well, shounen manga is the dominant in the market. Only I saw Kimi ni todoke in shoujo and Chuhayafuru in josei.

There is Ao Haru Ride in Shoujo. And about 4 Senien (Tokyo Ghoul, Hoozuki no Reitestsu, TerraFormars, One Punch-Man)
Dec 1, 2014 11:23 AM
Mar 2013
fairy tail is the only one that deserves its place
Dec 1, 2014 11:24 AM

Sep 2013
One Punch Man always has special chapters in shounen magazines so I think it's closer to a shounen.
Monomunu said:
Toriko
> Heavily promote by Shonen Jump like it is next big thing
> Leech off One Piece and Drangon Ball popularity. by having unwanted cross-over many times.
> Got wank by some user as best manga ever (lol)
> Not even in top 30

Pathetic

- over 20 million in print, (should have sold around 1.9 million this year just missed the list due to all the anime boosts which will be gone next year)
- had crossovers cause it's the closest thing to them, jealous?
- wank=truth (lmfao)
- had 1 month off this year and the anime ended (horribly animated for the last 2 years)

Pretty good
Dec 1, 2014 11:27 AM

Jan 2014
Really glad to see One Piece on the top the place where it belongs. I expected Naruto to be a little bit higher, though.

And I wish some people would do their research thoroughly first before saying declining this declining that.
Dec 1, 2014 11:38 AM

Jun 2014
bigivelfhq said:

I don't know what is funny. The 32.9 Million was people getting caught with the series. Now almost everybody in Japan already caught to the last volume so you will not have huge backlog sales.

You could just do a simple math and see that 4 volumes per year * 3,000,000 copies per volume = 12,000,000 copies sold per year. So in no way would one Piece do numbers like 14M, 32.9M, 23.4M and 18.1M if it wasn't for the backlog sales.

In 2011, One Piece got around 500k(half a million) new readers and so it got that huge of a number. You can't wait for every year for a new group of half a million readers to get into your manga. Majority of titles don't even get 500k readers!

There is no other popular series that I know that had such a colossal drop (sales were divided by three) except if their anime was cancelled ( One Piece's wasn't) so the drop is not only due to that. Also the fact that the sales per volumes have also been falling is proof of that. ( From 3.4m in 2011 to 3.0 in 2014).

Also notice that even if One Piece had released 4 volumes this year, it's sales would've been 11.9+2.5=14.4 which is still less than last year's sales by 4 million so the lower number of volumes released doesn't change the fact that it is rapidly dropping.

Wilhelmina said:

If you don't think that One Piece's sales are declining, then you are either delusional or misinformed.

>One Piece isn't losing popularity, when a volume comes out, it sales pratically around the same as it always did ( 2.5-3 million) but the sales are decreasing because the people stopped catching up to it after the boom of Marineford, but the sales per volume are the same, and it increased since Marineford, which the best volume sold was around 2.59 million.
Bullshit!!!
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=370525
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=526586
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=731235

One Piece's best volume sold 3.4 mil in 2011 while One Piece's best volume this year sold 3.0 mil. This means that One Piece has lost 400k readers in the past 3 years.

>Now, I've seen some people say that SNK would beat OP if it wasn't a monthly series, how can you say that? SNK wouldn't be as well drawn and well planned out if it was a weekly series, Oda can do it in a week, but Isayama can't that's why he needs more time to bring the good quality, if it didn't have the same quality, it wouldn't be selling as much.

If SNK was weekly, it would produce more chapters hence with the anime boost it would easily outsell One Piece. Saying that Oda is the only one who can write weekly is laughable. How do you know that? Especially considering the fact that he now releases like 3 chapters a month instead of four on several occasions because he can't keep up with it anymore.

>And latest chapters of SnK was bad, while it's very likely for OP to get an arc boost soon, don't expect any arc boost for SnK, so it's very unlikely SnK will top OP in the future. OP is safe until at least another 3-4 years

Implying that quality has anything to do with the sales. Except if a manga becomes really bad, loyal fans will not stop buying because of one bad arc (I'm talking generally here, haven't read that arc). Also, if that is true, then it applies even more to One Piece since most fans have been dissapointed by the time skip and even consider FI and PH the worst in the series. Maybe that explains the drop in sales?
Dec 1, 2014 12:23 PM
Aug 2012
Index isn't in the top 10..?
Dec 1, 2014 12:50 PM

Jan 2014
Isn't Index a Novel not a manga
Dec 1, 2014 12:59 PM

Mar 2013
Whooow

GO GO Tokyo ghoul !!
Dec 1, 2014 1:11 PM

Dec 2011
mootjuh said:
Index isn't in the top 10..?

*8. *,545,890 Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index

yes it is.
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Dec 1, 2014 5:10 PM
Dec 2012
Agafin said:
bigivelfhq said:

I don't know what is funny. The 32.9 Million was people getting caught with the series. Now almost everybody in Japan already caught to the last volume so you will not have huge backlog sales.

You could just do a simple math and see that 4 volumes per year * 3,000,000 copies per volume = 12,000,000 copies sold per year. So in no way would one Piece do numbers like 14M, 32.9M, 23.4M and 18.1M if it wasn't for the backlog sales.

In 2011, One Piece got around 500k(half a million) new readers and so it got that huge of a number. You can't wait for every year for a new group of half a million readers to get into your manga. Majority of titles don't even get 500k readers!

There is no other popular series that I know that had such a colossal drop (sales were divided by three) except if their anime was cancelled ( One Piece's wasn't) so the drop is not only due to that. Also the fact that the sales per volumes have also been falling is proof of that. ( From 3.4m in 2011 to 3.0 in 2014).

Also notice that even if One Piece had released 4 volumes this year, it's sales would've been 11.9+2.5=14.4 which is still less than last year's sales by 4 million so the lower number of volumes released doesn't change the fact that it is rapidly dropping.

Wilhelmina said:

If you don't think that One Piece's sales are declining, then you are either delusional or misinformed.

>One Piece isn't losing popularity, when a volume comes out, it sales pratically around the same as it always did ( 2.5-3 million) but the sales are decreasing because the people stopped catching up to it after the boom of Marineford, but the sales per volume are the same, and it increased since Marineford, which the best volume sold was around 2.59 million.
Bullshit!!!
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=370525
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=526586
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=731235

One Piece's best volume sold 3.4 mil in 2011 while One Piece's best volume this year sold 3.0 mil. This means that One Piece has lost 400k readers in the past 3 years.

>Now, I've seen some people say that SNK would beat OP if it wasn't a monthly series, how can you say that? SNK wouldn't be as well drawn and well planned out if it was a weekly series, Oda can do it in a week, but Isayama can't that's why he needs more time to bring the good quality, if it didn't have the same quality, it wouldn't be selling as much.

If SNK was weekly, it would produce more chapters hence with the anime boost it would easily outsell One Piece. Saying that Oda is the only one who can write weekly is laughable. How do you know that? Especially considering the fact that he now releases like 3 chapters a month instead of four on several occasions because he can't keep up with it anymore.

>And latest chapters of SnK was bad, while it's very likely for OP to get an arc boost soon, don't expect any arc boost for SnK, so it's very unlikely SnK will top OP in the future. OP is safe until at least another 3-4 years

Implying that quality has anything to do with the sales. Except if a manga becomes really bad, loyal fans will not stop buying because of one bad arc (I'm talking generally here, haven't read that arc). Also, if that is true, then it applies even more to One Piece since most fans have been dissapointed by the time skip and even consider FI and PH the worst in the series. Maybe that explains the drop in sales?

Actually, the volume that sold 3.4 million was like a one time deal, it broke records, so how can you compare that to normal sales?
Ok, so why doesn't Isayama do it weekly? Because he can do it? That doesn't make any sense.
It's not my manga, it's my favourite manga but I like a lot of other things, I'm not arguing, I'm just saying that the sales per volume didn't drop, what decreased ate the sales of older volumes, that will happen to SNK too and by next year it'll drop from the 11 million, that's what I see.
Dec 1, 2014 6:03 PM

Jan 2013
Agafin said:

If SNK was weekly, it would produce more chapters hence with the anime boost it would easily outsell One Piece.

riqueterremoto said:
If SNK wasn't a monthly manga but a weekly,the anime adaptation would have come before 2013 and would not be competing with One Piece 12 - 18 millions of copies but with the 24 - 38 millions of copies.
Dec 1, 2014 6:28 PM
Aug 2012
One Piece is just amazing
Dec 1, 2014 6:33 PM

Sep 2013
SNK being weekly would just mean 1 or 2 more volume being released since every weekly manga has that pace too.
LOL at 20 and 30 million+ if it was weekly XD

And Oda had surgery and took a lot of breaks too this year, sick oda > healthy Isayama
Get your facts straight :(
Dec 1, 2014 9:19 PM

Feb 2013
bigivelfhq said:
Tomislavr7 said:

Tokyo Ghoul got the strongest anime boost from the rest, it seems. Now I understand why it was bound to get a second season.

Ansatsu no Kyoushitsu got a large boost even before the anime started airing. It looks to me that this'll be a big one next year. It depends a bit on how good the anime will be. I plan on watching this so I hope it will be good.

Haikyuu!! got a boost of 6,227,498 copies, while Tokyo Ghoul got a boost of 5,279,855 copies.
The obvious strongest boost of the year is Haikyuu!! Also Tokyo Ghoul has 1 more volume selling than Haikyuu!! Tokyo Ghoul with 14 volumes while Haikyuu!! with 13. I don't see how Tokyo Ghoul had any kind of stronger boost.

I don't quite catch on with your logic here. It seems you just deducted 2014 sales with 2013 sales which's why it does make no sense. Remember these figures are sales in 2014 alone, so it makes no connection whatsoever to calculate with 2013 sales.

Haikyuu!! 2014 sales = 8,283,709
Tokyo Ghoul 2014 sales = 6,946,203

To get the most accurate results for the anime boost of each individual series, it's better to deducted the whole years sales with half years sales, from before they both got the anime adapation. Though since Haikyuu!! anime started airing in April, while the 2014 first half sales chart was made in May. Using figures from the chart might not be the most accurate as Haikyuu! manga could possibly receive a anime boost a month already after airing, but there's no choice.

Haikyuu!! first half 2014 sales = 2,249,431
Tokyo ghoul first half 2014 sales = 1,190,902

So, the result of the anime boost for both series instead would be:
Haikyuu!! = slightly above 6,034,278 (maybe)
Tokyo ghoul = 5,755,301

Though you're right that Haiyuu!! had the best anime boost but only with a slight margin compared to Tokyo ghoul.

Tbh I'm more surprised for the Tokyo Ghoul sales because the anime was a seinen one, aired at midnight time, bad censoring, 1 core and bad pacing or conclusively a bad adaptation..... etc. Additionally, Haiyuu!!'s success was partially due to the fact that Kuroko no Basket has just recently ended. so it's obvious where KnB's fanbase went to?

Edit: I take the last sentence back, seems like a true fan of the series from another forum actually proved me wrong by providing the stats and detailed explanation, concluding that Kuroko no Basket's popularity does not affect Haikyuu!!'s success :D
AngKearDec 2, 2014 3:40 AM
"Gahahaha. My hyper weapon will pierce the heavens!"

Dec 1, 2014 11:08 PM
Apr 2014
shinny099 said:
bigivelfhq said:

Haikyuu!! got a boost of 6,227,498 copies, while Tokyo Ghoul got a boost of 5,279,855 copies.
The obvious strongest boost of the year is Haikyuu!! Also Tokyo Ghoul has 1 more volume selling than Haikyuu!! Tokyo Ghoul with 14 volumes while Haikyuu!! with 13. I don't see how Tokyo Ghoul had any kind of stronger boost.

I don't quite catch on with your logic here. It seems you just deducted 2014 sales with 2013 sales which's why it does make no sense. Remember these figures are sales in 2014 alone, so it makes no connection whatsoever to calculate with 2013 sales.

To get the most accurate results for the anime boost of each individual series, it's better to deducted the whole years sales with half years sales, from before they both got the anime adapation. Though since Haikyuu!! anime started airing in April, while the 2014 first half sales chart was made in May. Using figures from the chart might not be the most accurate as Haikyuu! manga could possibly receive a anime boost a month already after airing, but there's no choice.

Tokyo ghoul = 5,755,301

Though you're right that Haiyuu!! had the best anime boost but only with a slight margin compared to Tokyo ghoul.

Tbh I'm more surprised for the Tokyo Ghoul sales because the anime was a seinen one, aired at midnight time, bad censoring, 1 core and bad pacing or conclusively a bad adaptation..... etc. Additionally, Haiyuu!!'s success was partially due to the fact that Kuroko no Basket has just recently ended. so it's obvious where KnB's fanbase went to?

To me I believe the biggest success would be Tokyo Ghoul. Like I know that Haikyuu had a bigger boost, but if you look in terms of demographic the age group. Like Seinen manga's aren't as popular as Shonen and for Tokyo Ghoul to go from 27 to 4 in ranking that's a pretty amazing achievement for a Seinen manga. Also add to the fact that the adaption was 1 cour and shitty compared to Haikyuu that was 2 cours and actually adapted well. Emphasizes that Tokyo Ghoul was a bigger success in terms of awareness with the lack of quality. Though I just personally believe Tokyo Ghoul's achievement was higher than Haikyuu, but I'm just glad both are selling well.
Dec 1, 2014 11:33 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
tsudecimo said:
minimiau said:

There is Ao Haru Ride in Shoujo. And about 4 Senien (Tokyo Ghoul, Hoozuki no Reitestsu, TerraFormars, One Punch-Man)

And also that one manga that most of us probably never heard of (Kyou wa Kaisha Yasumimasu.) in josei. But yeah, shounen seems to more likely to appeal more than just the target demographic.
Dec 2, 2014 12:01 AM

Nov 2014
*sniff* *sniff*...so happy for tokyo ghoul~
Dec 2, 2014 12:04 AM

Mar 2014
Why people compare SnK and One Piece? One Piece > SnK

One Piece has 3 volume this year, 73, 74, and 75. SnK has 3 volume too, BUT buyer in japanese was still hype with SnK, they didn't just buy that 3 volume, but volume 1, 2, 3, 4, etc too. And One Piece has better quality in every week deadline.
Dec 2, 2014 12:29 AM

Feb 2013
AquaWateria said:

To me I believe the biggest success would be Tokyo Ghoul. Like I know that Haikyuu had a bigger boost, but if you look in terms of demographic the age group. Like Seinen manga's aren't as popular as Shonen and for Tokyo Ghoul to go from 27 to 4 in ranking that's a pretty amazing achievement for a Seinen manga. Also add to the fact that the adaption was 1 cour and shitty compared to Haikyuu that was 2 cours and actually adapted well. Emphasizes that Tokyo Ghoul was a bigger success in terms of awareness with the lack of quality. Though I just personally believe Tokyo Ghoul's achievement was higher than Haikyuu, but I'm just glad both are selling well.

Yes, I believe so as well. It's been 6 years for a seinen manga to make it into the top 5 in ranking since 20th century boy in 2008. And the said manga(ikr 20th century boy is supposely a masterpiece, I should get around to reading it soon) couldn't even hit a 4 million mark despite its 3rd rank. TG made roughly 7 million and probably the top selling seinen manga of any annual record(correct me if i'm wrong) because I haven't seen any seinen manga so far to outsell 7 million copies as of yet in one year.
AngKearDec 2, 2014 12:34 AM

Dec 2, 2014 8:17 AM

Jan 2014
shinny099 said:

Tokyo ghoul = 5,755,301

And there you miscalculated, dude.

Haikyuu!! 2014 sales = 8,283,709 (sold at all).

So you must subtract 2 times of 2,249,431 (average sales in 2014, first half and second half) from 8,283,709. The figure is 3,784,847 plausible anime-boosted sales.

While Tokyo Ghoul numbers are: 6,946,203 - 2 * 1,190,902 (first half and second half) = 4,564,399 plausible anime-boosted sales.

So:
4,564,399 (TG) > 3,784,847 (Haikyuu!!)

That means, TG got around 800k, or ~18%, bigger anime boost.
Dec 2, 2014 9:30 AM

Aug 2011
Let's talk about SnK takes down OP after a single volume of SnK sales beat a single volume of OP sales :/
Anime boost is really doing a good job here for many manga except Toei's shit.
Dec 2, 2014 10:02 AM
💉 🩸 🩹 💖 🏥

Feb 2012
tell me how terra formars made it on this list. how. how. on the bright side, good to see the hoozuki no reitetsu manga do so well. i'm impressed.
"Be the change you wish to see in the world."

Dec 2, 2014 11:08 AM

Nov 2008
one piece
Dec 2, 2014 11:12 AM

Jun 2014
Yohimo_asakura said:

What kind of maths are both of you doing here.

Shinny you can't subtract the yearly sales from the half year sales because Haikyuu started airing in April so a good chunk of the anime boost is lost.

And Yohimo, what you're doing doesn't make any sense. What you are doing is calculating the boost for the second hakf of the year which favours TG since all of it's boost was from the second half of the year while Haikyu had a good portion of it in the first half.

To show you how innaccurate it is, let's a take a series that sold 3 million in 2013 and sold 7 million in 2014 out of which 5 million was from the first half because it's anime aired during that time. Then according to your logic, it's boost will be 7000000-2(5000000)=-3000000 which is ridiculous since it's implying that the anime actually had a decline in sales which is not true. It but just shows that you're calculation only considers the boost in the second half of the year which works against it.

The actual way of calculating the boost is subtracting the sales from the previous year from the current one. So my hypothetical anime had a boost of 7000000-3000000=5000000.

So in the case of TG and Haikyu!! it will be:

Haikyu's boost: 8,283,709-2,056,211 = 6,227,498
Tokyo Ghoul's boost:6,946,203-1,666,348 = 5,279,855

Haikyu!! had an undeniable higher boost. What's impressive about Tokyo Ghoul is the fact that it's anime was only one cour as opposed to Haikyu's two cours and it's a seinen which is pretty rare. Then again, Haikyu's anime sold 30k while TG sold 4k I think.
Dec 2, 2014 11:34 AM
Apr 2014
Agafin said:
Yohimo_asakura said:

Shinny you can't subtract the yearly sales from the half year sales because Haikyuu started airing in April so a good chunk of the anime boost is lost.

And Yohimo, what you're doing doesn't make any sense. What you are doing is calculating the boost for the second hakf of the year which favours TG since all of it's boost was from the second half of the year while Haikyu had a good portion of it in the first half.

To show you how innaccurate it is, let's a take a series that sold 3 million in 2013 and sold 7 million in 2014 out of which 5 million was from the first half because it's anime aired during that time. Then according to your logic, it's boost will be 7000000-2(5000000)=-3000000 which is ridiculous since it's implying that the anime actually had a decline in sales which is not true. It but just shows that you're calculation only considers the boost in the second half of the year which works against it.

The actual way of calculating the boost is subtracting the sales from the previous year from the current one. So my hypothetical anime had a boost of 7000000-3000000=5000000.

Haikyu!! had an undeniable higher boost. What's impressive about Tokyo Ghoul is the fact that it's anime was only one cour as opposed to Haikyu's two cours and it's a seinen which is pretty rare. Then again, Haikyu's anime sold 30k while TG sold 4k I think.

Well Haikyuu's anime adaptation was faithful and adapted nicely compared to Tokyo Ghoul's anime that was a failure as a manga adaption that left out a lot of things. Which is why Tokyo Ghouls anime sales are a lot lower compared to Haikyuu due to quality, which Haikyuu has a upper hand in.

That's why I'm hoping season 2 of Tokyo Ghoul actually turns out great.
Dec 2, 2014 11:59 AM
Sep 2013
Agafin said:
Yohimo_asakura said:

I think your logic equally flawed.
Toukyo ghoul sales had been increasing from 2011
They publish 1.1million for first 20 month
other 1.5million for next 9 month 1.6million for next 5 month
All of those numbers are before anime airing.
So it is not weird if it published more than 3 or 4 million in 2014 without anime influence
umashikanekoDec 2, 2014 12:08 PM
Dec 2, 2014 12:34 PM

Jun 2014
AquaWateria said:

Well Haikyuu's anime adaptation was faithful and adapted nicely compared to Tokyo Ghoul's anime that was a failure as a manga adaption that left out a lot of things. Which is why Tokyo Ghouls anime sales are a lot lower compared to Haikyuu due to quality, which Haikyuu has a upper hand in.

Quality of anime generally has little to do with sales of manga, it just affects the sales of the anime itself since it's purpose is to advertise the manga. The anime and manga are different media. The anime adaptation was bad and so it sold poorly but it did it's job by giving a huge boost to the manga. One Piece's anime is equally bad as an adaptation but that doesn't prevent it from being the best selling manga ever.

umashikaneko said:

So it is not weird if it published more than 3 or 4 million in 2014 without anime influence

The sales increase over the years because the number of volumes increrases lol. The 1.6 million you mentioned occurred after the anime adaptation was announced (January or so I think) so that still counts as the anime boost. Of course, there's no perfect method but this is the best estimate of the anime boost we can get.
Dec 2, 2014 12:54 PM
Sep 2013
Agafin said:
AquaWateria said:

Quality of anime generally has little to do with sales of manga, it just affects the sales of the anime itself since it's purpose is to advertise the manga. The anime and manga are different media. The anime adaptation was bad and so it sold poorly but it did it's job by giving a huge boost to the manga. One Piece's anime is equally bad as an adaptation but that doesn't prevent it from being the best selling manga ever.

umashikaneko said:

The sales increase over the years because the number of volumes increrases lol. The 1.6 million you mentioned occurred after the anime adaptation was announced (January or so I think) so that still counts as the anime boost. Of course, there's no perfect method rbut this is the best estimate of the anime boost we can get.

You can drow growing curb before anime anouncing and it should be around 6.5 million at the end of 2014 now 10million so about 3.5 million is my guess

Your logic based on assumption something growing quickly suddenly decreasing fast.
umashikanekoDec 2, 2014 1:42 PM
Dec 2, 2014 3:18 PM

Feb 2013
Agafin said:

It's just that we both have a different definition of "anime boost".
My definition is that the term is defined when the backlog sales (vol 1+) of a series got into the top 30 cuz ANN's the only eng source I can get. I know that your's are more accurate because your is defined from the date of the anime announcement. And in my previous post, I also acknowledged that Haikyuu! received my defined anime boost a month earlier before the half years chart was made in May, which's why I gave a "slightly above" to Haikyuu!!'s figures.

Still, I think mine is more accurate given the limit sources we have.

Dec 2, 2014 3:32 PM

Apr 2011
I am happy for all the great numbers for all series. That being said, One Piece being number 1 made me smile a smile that spread from cheek to cheek. The mid year sales devastated me. I am a huge OP fan (even though I only own 3 volumes lmao) and was really irritated when everyone went crazy with "OP just got dethroned" patter. One Piece won't be taken down that easily! I won't begrudge any series its sales, but OP having higher sales is my expectation.

Also to comment about popularity. One Piece sells around 3 million per volume. Shingeki barely sells to 2 million. All other series? The sales per volume speak for themselves. One Piece has more people buying on a weekly basis. Customer acquisition is important, but return customers shouldn't be discounted. People come for the concept, people stay for the execution. The The series sales reflect core base + hype while the volume sales reflect more so the extent of that core base. One Piece's "core base" or following is bigger and it's been on the rise.

Now, Shingeki had its chance to over take One Piece and that initself is an achievement few others have grazed. The series though, unless something BIG happens in the series or unless something BIG happens to Oda, will'nt surpass OP in sales. Great try though.

To address the weekly vs monthly "Shingeki woulda surpassed OP if it were weekly" bullshit. What if's can never be proven because they DIDN'T HAPPEN. Shingeki is a monthly, so we can only ever speculate. Saying it would surpass OP if it were monthly is pure speculation and will NEVER be proven right or wrong. That being said.... if we DO want to speculate:

Weekly series tend to have around 15-20 pages per issue.
Monthly series tend to have 30-40 pages per chapter.
20 pages in 7 days or 40 pages in 30? Which involves more pages per day? Hmm... the weekly series.
Now include the creation of the plot.

Both are difficult to handle. I'll succeed a few points though:
Weekly manga tend to be more popular than monthly manga. Which is kind of strange in the sense that weekly series SHOULD be more stressful to create. That being said, some monthly series are just as popular as monthly series. Kuroshitsuji, or as it's more commonly known- Black Butler, is a shojo monthly manga that's in the top 30. Shingeki No Kyojin is a monthly series that beat out Naruto, Bleach, and all series besides OP. To say that it would be more popular as a weekly series, is synonymous with disrespecting the sales of all monthly series and weekly series. "Oh, it's only doing well because it's a weekly series" or "Oh, it's only doing badly because it's a monthly series"... that's BULLSHIT. Monthly series CAN do well and Weekly series CAN do well. Monthly series can do badly, and so can weekly series. There can be significant and recognizable differences between the two categories, and if you want to compare them honestly, just create a graph: Create a graph with the top 30 weekly series and its sales, and then create a graph with the top 30 monthly series and its sales. But don't forget that it IS more stressful on the body to have a weekly series than it is to have a monthly series and the quality USUALLY degrades if the series switches from monthly to weekly.
DarkAngelzDec 2, 2014 3:53 PM
Dec 2, 2014 3:50 PM

Apr 2011
Also look at Fullmetal Alchemist, Claymore, Hunter x Hunter, Berserk, Skip Beat, Hellsing, Kaichou Wa Maid-sama, Vampire Knight, Fruits Basket, Blue Exorcist... all these ultra successful monthly series.

Look at Naruto, Bleach, Psyren, Death Note, Beelzebub, Kimi Ni Todoke...

Do you really want to insult their success by saying that it was only because of how they were serialized?
Dec 2, 2014 8:17 PM

Sep 2014
Glad too see Attack on titan catching up to one piece.

And also for Kimi ni Todoke!!! ( maybe its time to read the manga) Ao haru ride!!!!!!! ( hoping for a 2nd season) and Mahouka Koukou No Rettousei!!!!! And Nisekoi!!!

Glad to see my faves are that high.
Dec 3, 2014 4:27 AM

Apr 2014
DarkAngelz said:
Also look at Fullmetal Alchemist, Claymore, Hunter x Hunter, Berserk, Skip Beat, Hellsing, Kaichou Wa Maid-sama, Vampire Knight, Fruits Basket, Blue Exorcist... all these ultra successful monthly series.

Do you really want to insult their success by saying that it was only because of how they were serialized?

Hunter x Hunter isn't a monthly series.
Dec 3, 2014 4:55 AM

Jan 2014

Yeah, you are right. I totally forget that those two shows aired in the first half of the year, ma bad...
TapuTapuuDec 3, 2014 4:58 AM
Dec 3, 2014 6:19 AM

Nov 2012
Z4k said:
DarkAngelz said:

You are right, it's a biennial release series.
Dec 3, 2014 7:54 AM

Aug 2014
Where can I buy Haikyuu volumes in english?
Dec 3, 2014 11:53 AM

Apr 2011
Z4k said:
DarkAngelz said:

My bad, it's shounen jump. That series still proves my point. According to http://hunterxhunter.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_Volumes_and_Chapters, there hasn't been a new HxH volume released since 2012, yet for 2013's entire yearly sales, HxH was 8th in highest sales (http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2013/12/01/one-piece-tops-2013-manga-sales-in-japan) for the year. With zero new volumes and extremely few chapter releases. A series can sell well regardless of its release schedule is my point.

Edit:
HxH was able to sell almost 4 million- near 2 million for 2 of its volumes- without any hype or new releases. Both One Piece and Shingeki had volumes released in that year and regularly scheduled chapters released, AND HYPE. Sure I'm talking 2013 sales, but this still proves that a series' release schedule isn't make or break it in determining sales. If a series is good, people will buy the volumes even during an off season and when there is almost zero new content. Shingeki is doing fantastically, and saying it would beat OP if it were a weekly series is just underestimating the market and takes away the value of any achievement.

Also, if there's another volume released, you can add x amount to the total sales for the year. Even if more chapters were released, it doesn't mean more volumes would be released. Both monthly and weekly series get around 3 or 4 volumes released each year. Sales aren't by chapter count.

Edit2:
And yes, if more chapters are released then typically more volumes would be released, but volumes are done by chapter count. Because monthly series have longer chapters, it makes up for the lack in chapter numbers. If you look at Fullmetal alchemist, each volume is 3 or 4 chapters long. If you look at One Piece, each volume could be 9 or 10 chapters long. If more chapters are written then technically more volumes could be made, but one would have to remember that monthly and weekly series have a fixed number of volumes released because of the chapter PAGE count. If Shingeki was a weekly series, then it would still most likely have the same number of volumes give or take 1, just as if One Piece was a monthly. Same amount of content more less and same amount of sales. The only thing we wouldn't be able to determine is exposure... but seeing how popular Shingeki is already, I doubt it being a weekly series would have given it any more popularity than it managed to obtain already.

TLDR: Shingeki would have the same number of volumes if it were a weekly series, thus having the same amount of sales more less. Only thing you could argue is that weekly series get more exposure... but Shingeki has gotten SO MUCH that it being weekly really couldn't get it any more.(I am keeping quality and content constant). Theoreticalness meh
DarkAngelzDec 3, 2014 12:14 PM
Dec 3, 2014 12:26 PM

Dec 2011
DarkAngelz said:

My bad, it's shounen jump. That series still proves my point. According to http://hunterxhunter.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_Volumes_and_Chapters, there hasn't been a new HxH volume released since 2012, yet for 2013's entire yearly sales, HxH was 8th in highest sales (http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2013/12/01/one-piece-tops-2013-manga-sales-in-japan) for the year. With zero new volumes and extremely few chapter releases. A series can sell well regardless of its release schedule is my point.

For the sake of clarity, the two volumes released in December 2012 counted in their entirety towards 2013's sales figures, as the year of 2013 started on 19th November 2012.
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

» Fall 2024 Preview

Snow - Today

5 by Alzeana »»
15 minutes ago

» Kyoto Animation Adapts 'Nichijou' Author's 'City' Manga for 2025 TV Anime

Vindstot - Today

33 by Fedge »»
1 hour ago

» J.C.Staff Produces 'Kidou Keisatsu Patlabor: EZY' Anime for 2026

Vindstot - Sep 19

28 by Adriannitro »»
5 hours ago

» Board Game 'Murder Mystery of the Dead' Gets TV Anime in Fall 2024

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

10 by RobertBobert »»
11 hours ago

» 'Kobayashi-san Chi no Maid Dragon: Samishigariya no Ryuu' Anime Movie Announced for 2025

Vindstot - Today

18 by Anime_Luv »»
Today, 11:05 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.