Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Jul 4, 2014 12:44 AM

Apr 2012
This really isn't all that bad. I'm surprised at the abysmal score. Military + Jungle setting is pretty cool in my book. The CG is no where as awful as M3. Actually m3 is just straight up bad.

Jul 4, 2014 1:25 AM

Aug 2013
jkun said:

Beast666 said:
Well this is quite generic, there's nothing special about this show so far.

still not as generic as No Game No Life

Oh wow, i'm surprised that someone is butthurted with the comment from plebs like me. What this show has to do with NGNL ? It has different genres and aimed at different audiences.

In addition, actually i felt that this show could be better than M3, but there's still no anything special from it. MC seems to be an angsty teenager who will always scream at everyone who disagrees with him, sudden new superior mech destroyed bad mechs, and ended with everyone on HQ being astonished about it... yeah i barely see anything that not generic from this episode (The presence of mech armies is quite interesting). Then again, i'll stick with this one for 3-4 more episodes
CainthazarJul 4, 2014 1:35 AM
Jul 4, 2014 1:58 AM

Jan 2013
Japanese shouldn't make any sort of media related to military. They don't know shit, seriously. I've already felt that in Library War.
日本人はイッちゃってるよ
あいつら未来に生きてんな
Jul 4, 2014 2:40 AM

Apr 2008
Beast666 said:
jkun said:

Oh wow, i'm surprised that someone is butthurted with the comment from plebs like me.

Not butthurt. I just think it's ironic that someone with NGNL (one of the most generic anime in a while) in their top 5 is complaining about a show being generic. Characters often start weak and take time to develop so I don't really know why you're surprised or bothered about it.

DawnJ said:
Japanese shouldn't make any sort of media related to military. They don't know shit, seriously. I've already felt that in Library War.

do you even history?
Jul 4, 2014 2:51 AM

Dec 2010
Turned out better than my initial expectations

Other than the generic start, it was allright. The ED is cool as well.
Jul 4, 2014 2:59 AM

Oct 2013
seems cheesy those explosions were terrible
[/quote]
Jul 4, 2014 3:02 AM

Feb 2014
My expectations were not really high for this one, but hey, it was very decent so far.
As mentioned before, I also kinda like this non-uber mecha military style, imho we definitely need more mecha anime like this (and FMP).
I guess we'll see how things turn out with this show, but then again, it's already more appealing than for instance Captain Earth last season.
Jul 4, 2014 3:19 AM

Apr 2013
decent first episode

i like the setting
Jul 4, 2014 3:52 AM

May 2014
Focus and expand on the war drama.

Less shounen protagonist cliches please.

Already looks like a trainwreck to me, should I drop this and start Mobile Suit Gundam(1979)?
Jul 4, 2014 3:53 AM

Nov 2013
JizzyHitler said:
This shares the same score with M3, thats just fucking wrong/
Let's hope it gets better then.
Jul 4, 2014 3:57 AM

Jan 2013
jkun said:
do you even history?

Do they do drills in schools or require conscription? Do YOU even history? Of course, you don't know s*** about military other than Michael Bay movies.
DawnJJul 4, 2014 4:29 AM
日本人はイッちゃってるよ
あいつら未来に生きてんな
Jul 4, 2014 4:20 AM

Apr 2008
DawnJ said:
jkun said:
do you even history?

Do they do drills in schools or require conscription? Do YOU even history? Of course, you don't know s*** about military other than Michael Bay movies.

What I know is irrelevant to your claim that there is not a single Japanese person with knowledge of the military.

And please, do not put your drivel into my quote.
Jul 4, 2014 4:29 AM

Jan 2013
jkun said:
DawnJ said:

What I know is irrelevant to your claim that there is not a single Japanese person with knowledge of the military.

And please, do not put your drivel into my quote.

I don't even know what you are talking about.

And sorry for putting my sacred words into your tryhard clever comment.
日本人はイッちゃってるよ
あいつら未来に生きてんな
Jul 4, 2014 4:51 AM

May 2013
This is not what I expect from this series since this is mecha but seeing the robots... No comment, I'll hold my horses and I hope I'll not regret or drop this later because it reminded me of Break Blade (the CGIs and XEBEC).

Nagate and Ryota's VA returned as the MC. Hmmm...
The world shall know the truth soon.
Jul 4, 2014 5:07 AM

Dec 2010
Welp, pretty generic start, let's see where they will take this show.
Jul 4, 2014 6:05 AM

Oct 2013
decent start might watch a few more episodes before i decide if i'll continue it though.
Jul 4, 2014 7:00 AM

Oct 2013
Nope, not watching this.

MC disobeying military orders just to save civilians >,> I hope he gets court martialled for this. The military isn't for saving civilians. And a lowly soldier like him should obey orders of his superiors without question. Damn he needs to get severely punished.... but this is an anime about a generic idiotic protagonist with his s***y ideals which have no place on the battlefield.
I am a human.
Jul 4, 2014 7:07 AM

May 2009
jkun said:
Beast666 said:
Well this is quite generic, there's nothing special about this show so far.

Do you even know what Generic or it's new buzzword for you?
Jul 4, 2014 7:36 AM

Jan 2013
Whether or not the MC is punished for his actions is up to his commanding officer, who has wide discretion in the field. Additionally, from the sounds of their "independent" unit or whatever it was called, they may be outside of the traditional command structure.

People tossing around words like "generic" must be psychic. Formula is the core of genre; terrestrial military mecha series are bound by their subject matter to start similarly, especially when they start in the middle of a conflict. Almost everything in a well-defined genre starts "generic," what determines if it is actually generic is where it goes in the next 6 episodes or so.

The MC is probably the most suitable person on hand to pilot the new mecha. He clearly hasn't mastered it, or else we've got some very different ideas of what mastery looks like. No, he's probably the most suitable person because he is a trained pilot who does *not* have a lot of experience. He's complaining about the speed in what looks to be one of the standard models and that, combined with his abysmal control, seems to indicate that he hasn't logged many hours in the cockpit. That may make it easier for him to adapt to the new mecha, which has a drastically different pilot interface.

So far, it has promise. It may go somewhere great or it may not live up to its potential, but you'd need a crystal ball to know which it is after just this one episode.
Jul 4, 2014 7:42 AM

Mar 2014
Amarrez said:
well that was generic

MC needs mecha to save the day
MC gets mysterious new mecha
MC masters piloting in about 30 seconds
MC saves the day

Oh god this is why I hate a mecha-anime that had this kind of bullsh*t
Jul 4, 2014 7:55 AM

Sep 2011
am i really the only one seeing the stupidity in the comment about being able to pilot the mech in 30 seconds? Is it really that far fetched that the soldier designated with the duty of PILOTING A MECH was able to somewhat pilot a new mech. He didnt even do it well he fucked up twice during that fight with the new mech and even missed a couple times before getting in a killing blows.

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Jul 4, 2014 7:55 AM

Mar 2012
Decent first episode from my point of view especially since I don't watch or like much mecha. CGI always looks out of place in anime; it was okay in this (great during the actions scenes involving Argevollen near the end) so I can endure it.

I have to commend Xebec on the design of Argevollen.

The atmosphere of the anime felt a little like Girls Und Panzer except this prominently involves war but that is probably just me.

Nice to see an angsty teen who is trying to be heroic get put down straight away.

Really liked the ending song.

YukonJul 4, 2014 8:09 AM
Jul 4, 2014 7:58 AM

Nov 2013
JizzyHitler said:
am i really the only one seeing the stupidity in the comment about being able to pilot the mech in 30 seconds? Is it really that far fetched that the soldier designated with the duty of PILOTING A MECH was able to somewhat pilot a new mech. He didnt even do it well he fucked up twice during that fight with the new mech and even missed a couple times before getting in a killing blows.
No you're not. It was clear that he sucked, he was even told so multiple times, I have no idea where this "mastery" came from.
Jul 4, 2014 7:59 AM

May 2014
Yukon said:
The atmosphere of the anime felt a little like Girls Und Panzer with serious undertones of war but that is probably just me.
Undertones, eh? I thought this was a war drama, thanks for shattering improving my experience, from now on I shall look at this as our shounen protagonist kicking ass.
Jul 4, 2014 8:01 AM

Mar 2012
JizzyHitler said:

Nope. Mastering it wouldn't be that hard anyway considering most of it is envisioning what you want Argevollen to do.
Jul 4, 2014 8:03 AM

Mar 2012
T3hSource said:
Yukon said:
The atmosphere of the anime felt a little like Girls Und Panzer with serious undertones of war but that is probably just me.
Undertones, eh? I thought this was a war drama, thanks for shattering improving my experience, from now on I shall look at this as our shounen protagonist kicking ass.

I fucked that sentence up. I know its a war drama.
YukonJul 4, 2014 8:12 AM
Jul 4, 2014 8:55 AM

Jun 2008
Loved the first 5 minutes, thought it be an awesome geopolitical drama thats more focused on politics and philosophy - like Code Geass and LOTGH... Hated the rest, with the whiny/insubordinate MC in superman steel... lets see how it go from here. T.T
Jul 4, 2014 9:08 AM

May 2014
Pretty mediocre start. I'm expecting Aldnoah.Zero to do better.
The main mech design look like it came from a different genre, let alone the same anime.
Jul 4, 2014 10:02 AM
Oct 2010
JizzyHitler said:

No you aren't, the mech is mentally controlled so all he doesn't have to do much piloting. Also before people say "so why didn't the girl do it?" The girl isn't combat trained, so even if she controlled it she would not have been able to defeat the enemies because in her mind she doesn't know how. I dunno if people missed it but her initial plan was to get into to it and run away which is something anyone could have done given the tech it uses.
Jul 4, 2014 10:56 AM

Jun 2008
forgiuse said:
Pretty mediocre start. I'm expecting Aldnoah.Zero to do better.
The main mech design look like it came from a different genre, let alone the same anime.

XD, my thoughts exactly. The other mechs actually look utilitarian and realistic, then they throw in a gundam-esque mech for heroman
Jul 4, 2014 12:13 PM

Apr 2010
Jul 4, 2014 12:24 PM
Mar 2013
ex_necross said:
Let's play the "How long until someone calls a new mecha generic?" game!
...damnit, already lost. Literally the first comment LMAO. You guys never fail to be pathetically predictable.

The atmosphere and scenery reminded me a lot of 08th MS Team, which anyone who's seen that would tell you that's a GREAT thing. Seems like we finally get another pure military style mecha, no flashy super robots or super powers that have been plaguing mecha for many years now. Of course, this is subject to change, as it's only been 1 episode.

Overall, things are looking solid so far.

First impressions: 8/10, if only because it is so refreshing to see a new army mecha. It's been far too long.

Amarrez said:

He's literally a military pilot.

Amarrez said:

All he did was help a few "civilians".
happens all the time xD this will be good in my opinion :) at least it seems a bit more "serious"
Jul 4, 2014 12:33 PM
Mar 2013
CNagy said:
Whether or not the MC is punished for his actions is up to his commanding officer, who has wide discretion in the field. Additionally, from the sounds of their "independent" unit or whatever it was called, they may be outside of the traditional command structure.

People tossing around words like "generic" must be psychic. Formula is the core of genre; terrestrial military mecha series are bound by their subject matter to start similarly, especially when they start in the middle of a conflict. Almost everything in a well-defined genre starts "generic," what determines if it is actually generic is where it goes in the next 6 episodes or so.

The MC is probably the most suitable person on hand to pilot the new mecha. He clearly hasn't mastered it, or else we've got some very different ideas of what mastery looks like. No, he's probably the most suitable person because he is a trained pilot who does *not* have a lot of experience. He's complaining about the speed in what looks to be one of the standard models and that, combined with his abysmal control, seems to indicate that he hasn't logged many hours in the cockpit. That may make it easier for him to adapt to the new mecha, which has a drastically different pilot interface.

So far, it has promise. It may go somewhere great or it may not live up to its potential, but you'd need a crystal ball to know which it is after just this one episode.
agree
Jul 4, 2014 1:14 PM

Dec 2013
it was an ok episode, full of generic things and the biggest mecha cliché, present the main robot in the end of the first episode, I'll keep watching because I want to see more of that military/political tone of the beginning of the episode.
Jul 4, 2014 1:46 PM

Feb 2014
zephiris said:
Loved the first 5 minutes, thought it be an awesome geopolitical drama thats more focused on politics and philosophy - like Code Geass and LOTGH... Hated the rest, with the whiny/insubordinate MC in superman steel... lets see how it go from here. T.T

Yep, pretty much +1'd here. Maybe they'll show more of this 'geopolitical drama' thingy in the upcoming eps. If not, this show will be mediocre for me at best.
Jul 4, 2014 1:58 PM
Feb 2013
Nice
Jul 4, 2014 2:31 PM

Jun 2011
Look good enough, setting seems interesting... apart from the main character, but he's still new to the military and stuff, so let's give him some time to get used to it.
Jul 4, 2014 3:41 PM
Mar 2013
This Argevollen was like Unicorn Gundam, just think then it move. it's also something so high-tech while other mechas so low-tech.

I give this first episode 4/5.
original points 3 + 1 special points because Jamie+glasses.^ ^
Jul 4, 2014 3:55 PM
Jul 2018
Bored the crap out of me. I'm dropping the anime.
Jul 4, 2014 4:29 PM

Dec 2008
I wouldn't have done shit for that bossy airhead, but left her there to die until she apologized for punching me when I was trying to help her. This seems to be a trend in anime.

Sent with Mal Updater
Jul 4, 2014 5:12 PM

Oct 2013
For a while there,I was getting hyped. I thought:

"Hey look,all our cast is already in the military,which means there won't be any highschooler that get's caught into a war,bla,bla,bla; they'are already in it.Oh,the mech designs look pretty nice too with a lot of metal & rainbow colors and they hardly seem overpowered or anything. This actually might be a mecha anime that will rely more on the tactics & strategy our protagonists will use to triumph over their foes instead of some all-powerful,gundam-ish mech."

But from the moment I saw that large truck I began to worry. The moment the MC started being stupid and went ahead on his own was the 2nd alert. When the girl was entering the code I knew it was already too late. I knew(and probably most people too) that there's gonna be some super-mecha there that will allow to MC to overcome his foes when he should've otherwise been dead - not because of his own skill & wit,but simply because of the much superior machine. But of course it's gonna be like this. After all,this is much easier than making an actual war drama with tactics,strategy & some enjoyable camaraderie between characters who's lives depend upon each other. I know that's asking a lot,but the 1st half actually gave me some hopes for that.

Damn this incredibly overused theme ><

For the people who like the military aspect of the show but are complaining about the ones complaining. We're NOT complaining about the military aspect - that's what we LIKED. We're complaining because the show gave strong signs of abandoning that in favor of annoying,hot-headed & skilless MC that saves the day only due to him stumbling upon a gunda...much superior mech. Simply doing that already took a lot of potential of the show. Possessing such superior equipment makes other things such as devising a good strategy,using better tactics & teamwork much less required. It can still be decent or maybe even good for that matter but it already limited it's own potential. It can only go so high,and it can fall a lot more.

Maybe myself & others are being overly negative here but ignoring the signs would be foolish & naive of us. And while I seriously doubt it,I will personally be happy if this anime will prove me wrong.
Jul 4, 2014 5:36 PM

Apr 2013
Odd camera movements and transitions/animations.

Jul 4, 2014 6:43 PM

Apr 2008
DiviMike said:
We're complaining because the show gave strong signs of abandoning that in favor of annoying,hot-headed & skilless MC that saves the day only due to him stumbling upon a gunda...much superior mech. Simply doing that already took a lot of potential of the show.

It didn't take the potential out of Gundam and quite a few other mecha...
Jul 4, 2014 7:54 PM

Nov 2009
Anyone who wants to call this show generic should just leave this site.
Jul 4, 2014 8:29 PM

May 2014
YoumuKonpaku said:
Anyone who wants to call this show generic should just leave this site.

And those who think this is the greatest shit ever made should stay here forever.
Jul 4, 2014 9:09 PM

Sep 2011
it was too slow at the begining I didn't really understand what they were doing xD at the end it got better. Love the neat animation and mecha-character design also the music is pretty good
Jul 4, 2014 10:23 PM
Jul 2013
Pretty neat. Got nothing much to say about it. Lead character encounters a new advanced mech... reminds me of many mecha animes. Typical but not necessary a bad thing.

The MC is not the kind of character I would like. Being rebellious and all, despite with good intention.
Jul 5, 2014 12:01 AM
Feb 2013
ex_necross said:
Let's play the "How long until someone calls a new mecha generic?" game!
...damnit, already lost. Literally the first comment LMAO. You guys never fail to be pathetically predictable.

The atmosphere and scenery reminded me a lot of 08th MS Team, which anyone who's seen that would tell you that's a GREAT thing. Seems like we finally get another pure military style mecha, no flashy super robots or super powers that have been plaguing mecha for many years now. Of course, this is subject to change, as it's only been 1 episode.

Overall, things are looking solid so far.

First impressions: 8/10, if only because it is so refreshing to see a new army mecha. It's been far too long.

Amarrez said:

He's literally a military pilot.

Amarrez said:

All he did was help a few "civilians".

I feel ya, bro. I get annoyed with constant negativism too, and worst of all is, you can bet some of who are decrying the series as worthless and boring will continue to do so until the end of the series. Maybe it's their life which is boring then, but of course, saying THAT is considered offensive (while trolling isn't, apparently).

But...that said... one can't readily deny it's pretty generic *up until now*. Granted, it's only the first episode. But the whole mecha-trope genre is pretty closely followed as of yet. Losing a war, relative newbie (which he is, despite being a military pilot; this has clearly been portrayed) finds - by pure chance, of course - a new, vastly superior mech to save the day and turn the war around. sure, the 'save the day' is only saving some civilians this episode, but that was only what there was to save in this episode.

Continuing the classical trope, I can predict the following: the newbie pilot, even though not a seasoned veteran, will continue to pilot the brand new mech and be allowed to do so (while in reality, any military that put his hands on such a machine would immediately put his best pilot in there as well). Secondly, while now it's just civilians he saved, he'll ultimately will save the country and turn the tides of war. Probably become a hero even, and kick out the worthless asses of their own worthless generals in the process.

Story-wise, thus, as of yet, it is pretty generic. However, this doesn't mean that has to be a bad thing, depending on your expectations of it. It's not inherently bad to have a story one already knows, as long as it's told well. And, who knows if they aren't going to surprise us? It all depends on how they execute it, and since it's only ep 1, they can put a lot of twists and some original plot-development in there. And at least the animation and character-designs were pretty good. We'll see how it develops.

So, I'm a bit ambiguous about this. I know where you come from with your remark, but still...there is no denying that thusfar, the broad storyline-development is pretty generic.
Jul 5, 2014 12:12 AM

Jan 2013
I wonder how long it's gonna take that anime creators understand insubordination isn't cool but fucking cheesy and cheap instead. But considering that this is made by Japanese, I guess it can't be helped.
日本人はイッちゃってるよ
あいつら未来に生きてんな
Jul 5, 2014 1:57 AM
Jan 2014
DiviMike said:
For a while there,I was getting hyped. I thought:

"Hey look,all our cast is already in the military,which means there won't be any highschooler that get's caught into a war,bla,bla,bla; they'are already in it.Oh,the mech designs look pretty nice too with a lot of metal & rainbow colors and they hardly seem overpowered or anything. This actually might be a mecha anime that will rely more on the tactics & strategy our protagonists will use to triumph over their foes instead of some all-powerful,gundam-ish mech."

But from the moment I saw that large truck I began to worry. The moment the MC started being stupid and went ahead on his own was the 2nd alert. When the girl was entering the code I knew it was already too late. I knew(and probably most people too) that there's gonna be some super-mecha there that will allow to MC to overcome his foes when he should've otherwise been dead - not because of his own skill & wit,but simply because of the much superior machine. But of course it's gonna be like this. After all,this is much easier than making an actual war drama with tactics,strategy & some enjoyable camaraderie between characters who's lives depend upon each other. I know that's asking a lot,but the 1st half actually gave me some hopes for that.

Damn this incredibly overused theme ><

For the people who like the military aspect of the show but are complaining about the ones complaining. We're NOT complaining about the military aspect - that's what we LIKED. We're complaining because the show gave strong signs of abandoning that in favor of annoying,hot-headed & skilless MC that saves the day only due to him stumbling upon a gunda...much superior mech. Simply doing that already took a lot of potential of the show. Possessing such superior equipment makes other things such as devising a good strategy,using better tactics & teamwork much less required. It can still be decent or maybe even good for that matter but it already limited it's own potential. It can only go so high,and it can fall a lot more.

Maybe myself & others are being overly negative here but ignoring the signs would be foolish & naive of us. And while I seriously doubt it,I will personally be happy if this anime will prove me wrong.

I feel your pain bro. But unfortunately this is anime, where trouncing your opponents with a conveniently placed Gun-, err..., overpowered mecha is more important than having the skills to actually pilot worth-a-damn, much less having the brains to plan strategy. At least the background story looks promising, a wealthy and 'corrupt' nation invaded by an expansionist nation coming to 'liberate' the citizens. There's bound to be some interesting developments there (I'm keeping my fingers crossed).
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shirogane no Ishi: Argevollen Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 18, 2014

72 by oooo3333 »»
Dec 6, 2020 12:07 AM

Poll: » Shirogane no Ishi: Argevollen Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 4, 2014

31 by oooo3333 »»
Nov 25, 2020 1:21 PM

Poll: » Shirogane no Ishi: Argevollen Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jul 31, 2014

74 by SakurasouBusters »»
Mar 16, 2017 7:10 PM

Poll: » Shirogane no Ishi: Argevollen Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jul 24, 2014

76 by SakurasouBusters »»
Mar 11, 2017 7:26 AM

Poll: » Shirogane no Ishi: Argevollen Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jul 17, 2014

91 by SakurasouBusters »»
Mar 10, 2017 1:44 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.