Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Apr 4, 2014 11:11 AM
Jan 2014
That pissing in the pants scene...
Apr 4, 2014 11:15 AM

Jun 2008
I'm pretty sure no guy would talk excitedly about having pissed his pants.

And why the fuck did she cut her hair, ugh. It was so pretty.
Apr 4, 2014 11:24 AM

May 2012
Where are the fanservices ? THere was almost no fanservice in this show. It is not like highschool DxD or freezing which are full of fanservice. Where is the panty shot, where is the boob bouncing part ? where is the the guy who fall into female by accident and then female hit him ?

It is complete opposite of fanservice anime and it it has serious and dark theme. When I saw the picture of this anime, I didn't expect this anime to be very serious and dark.

I find the story interesting because it has blood, people dying, village destroyed. It has serious and dark theme unlike most animes these days. Thats alone make the story above average.

Action was good. You have badass MC that hit the bullets with her sword, and people die when they are attacked. Is not like Noragami where the action feels more like comedy than real action.

Main character is female ! So what ? She is badass and hot at same time, and she is different from these stupid school females who talk too much and get embarrassed.

I'm tired of these countless unfunny comedy, slice of life crap and school kids animes. Soul and Blade is already miles better than 90% of other animes.
thepathApr 4, 2014 11:33 AM
Apr 4, 2014 11:26 AM

Sep 2012
thepath said:
Where are the fanservices ? THere was almost no fanservice in this show.
lol
☕ Truth be told, I'm quite proud of my house blend. To attain my flavor and fragrance, I use five different types of coffee beans. ☕
Apr 4, 2014 11:43 AM
Feb 2013
Aeonenleben said:
Was it fanservice? Yes. Did it make sense within the scene/episode? Yes. Was it sexy? Yes. Case closed.

ahahahaha.
This makes me so sad...

It shouldn't. It pertained to fanservice and the desirability of it. Not about story or worldbuilding.

But you can't really say much about that, seen it's only the first episode.

The criteria I gave for acceptable fanservice are exactly that: it must be sexy/attractive - otherwise there is no point in trying to appeal that way - and it must make sense within the episode/ portrayed scene. This makes perfect sense. Just like it makes perfect sense for there to be fluid and cool action in an actionscene. There is nothing to be sad about if a scene is done good - which of course doesn't change anything to the fact whether you like fanservice or actionscenes, etc. But I can't help you with that. The fact that I don't like football, or that a football-match was crap or not, are two entirely different things...
AnimageNebyApr 4, 2014 2:56 PM
Apr 4, 2014 12:30 PM

May 2009
Gonzo is shit but this wasn't as bad as I expected.
Apr 4, 2014 12:35 PM
Feb 2013
GenesisAria said:
For an anime that randomly jumped outa nowhere when it was first announced, it's done pretty well at sticking with the MMO's actual themes.

Once again people complaining about generic . . . how is this even generic? I don't understand what people see as generic everywhere.
(ps: claiming it to be generic because it's not "new" enough for you, doesn't mean it is. http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TropesAreTools )
Main character is silent and focused and has boundless resolve, i like it. The boobs? surprisingly not all that emphasized, aside from that one person with the bikini top outfit, but that's actually in the game. And lots of mook killing? Well duh, your character is a beast who only really faces challenge against sizable foes and mows down lots of mooks.
I don't see amazing yet, but it's not bad.

Aeonenleben said:
Also: Fighting animations were pretty generic
Swinging a sword irl looks generic. This was quite a bit more interesting, plus people don't randomly have skin armour.

This probably would have presented better if they used the intro/prologue from the game.

Regardless, the game is very enjoyable, and the show does do it some justice, not an instant-flop like you'd expect. It actually looks like an anime on it's own as opposed to something harshly reliant on the game itself.

Don't tell people something's bad just because you don't like it personally.

jiraiya_sensei said:
I read the comments here first before watching the subbed version and all I can say is:

Why so much hate?

I mean yeah it's not groundbreaking or anything but for a video game adaption it's actually not bad (in fact this looked like a masterpiece compared to the horror that was BlazBlue). So yeah there were some cleavage and a bathing scene, so what? has the male population become so emasculated that some of us are offended by the slightest fan service? or maybe watching too much anime has actually made some of us become like wimpy harem lead who scream at the sight of boobies? so what if most of the characters are female? this is nowhere near as outrageous as Queen's Blade or Manyuu Hikenchou.

Ranting aside, I like the design of the characters and their battle clothes. Reminds me of a certain concept artist whose name I can't remember. IIRC it was for the game Magna Carta. The scenery is also unexpectedly beautiful. I also like Alka's fighting style, no wasted movement. Just swift one-hit kill attack. I'll see where this goes, the story most likely will be generic but I'll give it a chance instead of hating from the 1st episode for petty reasons.

thepath said:
Where are the fanservices ? THere was almost no fanservice in this show. It is not like highschool DxD or freezing which are full of fanservice. Where is the panty shot, where is the boob bouncing part ? where is the the guy who fall into female by accident and then female hit him ?

It is complete opposite of fanservice anime and it it has serious and dark theme. When I saw the picture of this anime, I didn't expect this anime to be very serious and dark.

I find the story interesting because it has blood, people dying, village destroyed. It has serious and dark theme unlike most animes these days. Thats alone make the story above average.

Action was good. You have badass MC that hit the bullets with her sword, and people die when they are attacked. Is not like Noragami where the action feels more like comedy than real action.

Main character is female ! So what ? She is badass and hot at same time, and she is different from these stupid school females who talk too much and get embarrassed.

I'm tired of these countless unfunny comedy, slice of life crap and school kids animes. Soul and Blade is already miles better than 90% of other animes.

Those three posts combined make exactly clear what the point is. Indeed, people don't realise anymore what 'generic' means, nor what a sub-par anime actually entails. Maybe they have been spoiled by series like Shingeki no Kyojin, but let me tell you: if you only compare to masterpieces, nothing will be found good anymore.

If you compare this anime, certainly since it's the first episode, with most other (first episodes of) anime out there, one can't come to any other conclusion that it's actually ABOVE average, not below. It's getting so annoying to see this kind of elitist attitude here, where everyone nowadays uses the buzzword 'generic' just because they hear it from everyone else, and think it's cool to 'talk the talk'. Yes, too much use of tropes CAN be annoying. But as GenesisAria says, people mistakenly think because something has been done already, and it's in the 'seen that, done that' camp, having generic elements in a story is inherently pejorative. It is not.

There ARE NO true original stories left anymore. Why is that so difficult to comprehend? It's ALL been done and said before. The only difference remaining is how you do and say it. But with a reductio ad absurdum, you can always point to it as being 'generic'.

There was a bathscene in there where some nudity was shown. Generic! (Really? It didn't went all ecchi, and it didn't use the trope of high screaming, blushing and throwing objects at the one peeking yelling 'pervert'. Instead, she took her sword hidden in the water, jumped out, and threatened to cut his throat - all buttnaked and without shame, remaining cool and calculated. How is this not an original take on the classical 'peeking tom' trope? It's as original as you can make that often used situation in anime, in fact.)

There is a leading female character with a stoic attitude! Generic!

There were swords used: generic!

There was magic used: generic!

There were parties portrayed which were protagonists and others that were antagonists: generic!

Well, let me go further in the same way, then:

The characters spoke to eachother: generic! The characters looked at eachother: generic! They walked: generic! They had fights: generic!

Etc.

Guys/galls: it's not because something is used, even often, that it's generic in the pejorative meaning of the word.

Just think about it. Was the fanservice really so bad and overbearing? Ever saw Freezing, another anime where the main character is a female? Now, THAT is fanservice, to the point of it becoming annoying. Thepath is right pointing this out. Most anime have a buckload more of fanservice, as well as in quantity as in ecchiness. Objectively speaking, this was a very, very moderate amount of fanservice, which actually made sense, at least from *within* the portrayed scene in the anime (and not like clothes just happened to be cut so the boobs pop out (unharmed) every five minutes).

It's like jiraiya_sensei says: what the f- happened to the male populace watching anime these days, that they can't handle and muster even this amount of fanservice, without going into complaining mode? The fanservice was pretty tempered and decent, made sense in-story, and wasn't bad to look at, even if it was more suggestion than anything else. So, what is there to complain about? This is about as good as fanservice goes. If you don't like this and can't handle it, you don't like fanservice, period. However, as the first poster said: don't say a scene is bad just because you personally don't like the usage of those kind of scenes.
AnimageNebyApr 4, 2014 3:00 PM
Apr 4, 2014 12:40 PM

Aug 2013
thought there'd be more fanservice...
nothing wrong with less though. Maybe this could be better than what I thought.
Maybe.

Apr 4, 2014 12:42 PM
Apr 2013
This will be my brainless anime probably for this season. She looks better in longhair though :/
Apr 4, 2014 1:00 PM

Dec 2009
Definitely agree with the group consensus on long hair was better though. :C

I usually prefer female protagonists too, they're usually more interesting than the overused second to back seat at window, "ordinary student" indecisive male character leads.
GenesisAriaApr 4, 2014 1:05 PM
❀桜舞う空〜                   Cute is Power.           🔗CosmoGenesis Project
“You cannot know what you do not know.”
“Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.”
“A truth seeker has no patience for BS.”

I seek only to improve myself and others.
Apr 4, 2014 1:01 PM

Aug 2013
Not bad. Might as well try this one.
Apr 4, 2014 1:02 PM

Aug 2009
From the trailers I expected this to be a new Manyuu Hikenchou.
So this first episode not focusing on breasts all the time was a positive surprise for me.
Will have to see more episodes of this before I can say whether I like it or not.
Apr 4, 2014 1:24 PM

Feb 2014
That's one way to start off a new anime. Though I feel it was a bit rushed.
Over all seems to be really good, only downside is that constant shink noise whenever Alka moves her blades.
"All the world's a stage, And all the men and women merely players"
Shakespeare.
Apr 4, 2014 1:30 PM

Feb 2014
I actually found it kinda refreshing that the guys weren't eying the main girl up immediately and having perverted thoughts and stuff (except for the peeping tom at the start obviously). But I couldn't help but laugh as those male characters, who I thought would at least play a minor role, were annihilated in 10 secs flat. xD

Other than that the action scenes seemed good enough. Pretty fun first episode.
Just sit back, and let your tears do the talking as I save you.
Apr 4, 2014 1:31 PM
Mar 2014
i thought it was ok. i liked it. the main charecteris so bad ass!! i just wish she would talk more. though its only 1 episode. still have 11 more for things to change.
Apr 4, 2014 1:36 PM
Jul 2018
GOOD TITS NICE BUTT SKIMPY CLOTHING MOE VILLAGE

10/10 AOTS
Apr 4, 2014 1:39 PM
Nov 2010
AnimageNeby said:

Now that was a good and well put together rant and I fully agree.
Apr 4, 2014 1:43 PM

Jan 2011
thepath said:
What it is wrong with haters here

The anime way better than what I expected. I was going to watch this because of the hot females only. However, it turned out to be better than that. It has serious story and blood like attack on titan, and at same time it has hot looking and badass MC.

Great anime that that far exceed my expectation. Hopefully, they will keep the story serious and dramatic like this episode

lol.
Apr 4, 2014 1:54 PM

Oct 2012
first impressions:
- nice character design
- lost of female characters
- lots of 'plot'
- fanservice
- fighting
i kinda liked her better with long hair :P
not really my kind of show, not even one decent looking male character =__=
but ill watch a couple more episode to see how it progresses
its rare to see an anime based off a korean mmo though
( ´ ▽ ` )ノ
Apr 4, 2014 1:55 PM

Dec 2008
Hmm... I think I might like this! Alka is AWESOME!!!

Sent with Mal Updater
Apr 4, 2014 1:59 PM

Dec 2013
the characters/locations look nice. I'll watch it for the titties N swords.

seems pretty terrible though.
sayonara_sekaiApr 4, 2014 2:12 PM
Apr 4, 2014 2:06 PM

Jan 2014
Well, I really liked this. Maybe only story is going a bit too fast, but everything else is fine. It'll be my spring season action anime, I guess. :)
Apr 4, 2014 2:45 PM

Oct 2013
Starts of as 6/10,just above average because of the cool action scenes.
I really dont like the main character's personality though.
I like the long hair eye hidden villain girl,shes cool and beautiful.
Refreshing opening and ending,refreshing animation.
Apr 4, 2014 3:16 PM

Mar 2012
Wow, that fanservice is a bit abused but it doesn't make this anime lose quality. Shouldn't it be considered an ecchi anime?

This anime looks great, I'm predicting a lot of fights and fanservice <3 *-*
Apr 4, 2014 3:19 PM

Apr 2010
Cerian said:
Well Gonzo is gonna go bankrupt again.

One can only hope.
Apr 4, 2014 3:29 PM

Dec 2013
Well the beginning had some really loud sound effects, it was pretty cool seeing her dodge 4 bullets like that. I kind of got bored around the 15 minute mark but once the action came up again my interested was revived. I feel it was a little rushed but it's not bad.
Apr 4, 2014 3:42 PM
Jul 2011
sazzai said:
u ppl forget it is an animeation fram AN ACTION RPG wutt u expect ?? long dialoges and fights that look like 2 kids are fightig ? plz think before u say something xD also if u look at the cover OFC u 'll have noticed by now that the woman have big boobs and almost naked lol xD or u are blind ass fck :P anyway if u like action ( i do ) and dont want to w8 for it this is the anime off spring i guess ^^

100% representation of the "anime" community. You're just missing a Japanese word.
Apr 4, 2014 3:52 PM
Sep 2009
bigzzcobzz said:
Wow, that fanservice is a bit abused but it doesn't make this anime lose quality. Shouldn't it be considered an ecchi anime?

This anime looks great, I'm predicting a lot of fights and fanservice <3 *-*

I don't think you have seen real ecchi shows. While I won't deny fanservice, at least their boobs are not of a watermelon size and jiggling all over the screen with 1000 of panties shots.
Apr 4, 2014 3:53 PM

Sep 2013
Currently Downloading the Chinese Version of the game.. 8.3GB in size, and will probably post a few videos of the gameplay later..

Since the game won't get released in the US anytime soon, the China version comes with a fan-made english patch for whoever is interested in playing it aswell.

Should be epic since Ive seen a few pvp videos based on the game.

Also loved Blade and Soul episode 1! Action! Plot! Boobs! The works! :D
Apr 4, 2014 4:14 PM

Mar 2014
Boring girls (plot) doesn’t become cool just because you give them a pair of cool daggers.
Apr 4, 2014 4:42 PM

Nov 2013
No, the hair! She had such lovely hair!

But the episode was ok, I guess. Nothing spectacular, but doesn't seem that terrible either.
Apr 4, 2014 4:55 PM

Mar 2013
It was alright.
I'll stay around for a couple of more weeks.
Apr 4, 2014 5:16 PM

Mar 2013
The way she split that bullet doe...
Nice steady pace and it immediately picked up during that invasion in the last part 0_o
I feel bad for those side characters who got falcon'd punch; I mean I knew they were going to die considering the amount of screentime they got but damn..
Apr 4, 2014 5:18 PM

Mar 2009
Not bad for a video game adaption, A bit different to what i remember from playing the CN version
Apr 4, 2014 5:23 PM

Jul 2012
why did she cut her hair
Apr 4, 2014 5:24 PM

Jul 2012
Well this first impression was not that bad, but by any means it was not great. Gonna give this one 1/2 more episodes, but it seems that it's a drop for me.
3/10
Apr 4, 2014 5:24 PM

Jul 2012
danthom1704 said:
why did she cut her hair

You need to look kill when killing "bad guys".
Apr 4, 2014 6:03 PM

Jul 2011
Nice character designs. Good first episode I like it.
Apr 4, 2014 6:04 PM

May 2013
Definitely made a positive impression on me, but I wasn't expecting anything. We'll see how this goes. At best it could be a very entertaining tale of revenge filled with action and fanservice. At worst it could be a disaster of a plot with no character growth. But as of now the show is definitely on my radar for at least another week or two. I never like to make too strong of opinions after the first episode because I am often wrong (I thought Nobunaga the Fool would be amazing... and Golden Time wouldn't be good. Turned out it was the opposite lol).
Apr 4, 2014 7:22 PM

Jan 2013
People are complaining about the fan service because it's Gonzo.

People are calling it generic because it doesn't have psychological themes.

This anime exists only to advertise the game in Japan. It doesn't even need to sell.

Honestly this show is mediocre but watchable.

Anime does NOT need to have characters freaking out like Evangelion to be original.
Apr 4, 2014 7:50 PM

Apr 2009
Hmm, i found this to be some what enjoyable for the most part. Well decent that it threw episode 1. The plot doesn't seem to have any complexity to it and im not saying thats a bad thing here but the animation is decent. The fighting was alright too. I'll keep watching tho I imagine this won't be high on the list as far as my weekly anticipations. Still, im finding it so far worth a watch.
Apr 4, 2014 8:40 PM

Aug 2012
Well, at least the anime is a bit better than the game.

Okay, why would she cut her hair? She's already gorgeous.
Apr 4, 2014 9:10 PM

Jun 2013
That was incredibly average. Alka (Aruka?), despite being pretty stock, was a badass though. And did everyone in that village just die? Damn.
Apr 4, 2014 11:30 PM

Mar 2013
I though it will be something like sao or log horizon i guess i were wrong,
it was kinda average.
Apr 5, 2014 1:03 AM

Dec 2013
calling this average or mediocre is an insult to mediocre anime. it was pretty bad on all fronts except for the fight scenes which were DECENT. the dialogue and character designs were cringe inducing
Apr 5, 2014 1:25 AM

Oct 2010
That's how you start a fucking season, especially following one as shitty as last seasons anime.

However, I can't express how much I hate seeing big breasted anime characters
(-_- #).

I know its early, but after watching this and selector infected wixoss, this season already looks much better than last season.
Apr 5, 2014 1:38 AM

Sep 2013
Nisx said:
I though it will be something like sao or log horizon i guess i were wrong,
it was kinda average.

Like im sure they are stuck in a "Virtual game"... right? No, that statement just made you look stupid. SAO Fanboys piss me off.
Apr 5, 2014 1:45 AM

Oct 2013
This should be a great anime,me like

Apr 5, 2014 2:12 AM
Jan 2014
2 out of 5: Disliked it

Lame... Lame anime...
Apr 5, 2014 2:29 AM

Jul 2013
The Good:

+ Based off an MMO, not people trapped in a virtual world.
+ The world seems interesting, I'd like to see the rest of it.
+ Badass main heroine...

The Bad:

- ...In her fighting. Her character is kinda bland.
- So were the rest of them, actually.
- "Boss Fight" of the episode underwhelming. At least he killed the people I didn't give a crap about.

The Average

~ The art is alright. It's... nothing great, but not bad.
~ The OP and ED were also okay, though not memorable.
~ The story has been done so maaaany times. It'll only improve as it goes on.

3/5 for the first episode. Nothing great, but nothing terrible either.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Blade &amp; Soul Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 26, 2014

96 by SailorFairyDxD24 »»
Dec 23, 2023 3:35 PM

Poll: » Blade &amp; Soul Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 19, 2014

67 by SailorFairyDxD24 »»
Dec 23, 2023 8:46 AM

Poll: » Blade &amp; Soul Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Jun 12, 2014

49 by SailorFairyDxD24 »»
Dec 23, 2023 8:02 AM

Poll: » Blade &amp; Soul Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 5, 2014

56 by SailorFairyDxD24 »»
Dec 22, 2023 10:33 AM

Poll: » Blade &amp; Soul Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 29, 2014

72 by SailorFairyDxD24 »»
Dec 22, 2023 9:40 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.