Forum Settings
Forums

How many episodes do you watch before judging an anime ?

New
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Mar 24, 2014 11:56 AM

Jan 2014
I prefer to watch at least 13 episodes before I properly judging it, but I tend to watch the entire series before I judge since my opinion can easily change afterwards.
Mar 24, 2014 12:04 PM

Nov 2010
Heredity said:
IntroverTurtle said:
Heredity said:
IntroverTurtle said:
tsudecimo said:
IntroverTurtle said:
Heredity said:
to those saying they never drop anything: don't worry, you'll get to the stage where you just don't care anymore. it'll just happen one day, you'll be sitting there and suddenly think 'why the hell am i even watching this?'
When do you think I'll hit that stage?

Putting anime in an indefinite on hold list, is practically the same.
I don't really do that though. I joke about it sometimes but I do plan on getting back into all the anime in my on hold list. Which only part is actually on hold, others are OVAs that come out randomly, hentai for the same reason, anime I can't find subs or episodes for, etc,
that's what they all say. 'oh yeah, i swear on me mam i'll watch that there anime i started 3 years ago!'

i just moved a bunch of anime from my on-hold list to my dropped list a couple of hours ago because i'd forgotten about them entirely. i just come to terms with the fact that i obviously don't care enough to continue them, lol.
And I just watched a couple a month ago. One that was on hold for like 5 years.
if it's a extended release ova or hentai (which just kinda assume they're done until the next episode is randomly produced), i understand. but i can see anime on that there on-hold list that with 1 episode viewed that you might have possibly started in their airing season (if you consider when they aired) and then just shoved into your on-hold list. seems silly to me, really. sometimes you just gotta let go.

let it go.
let it go.
frozen movie reference.
let it go.
Seems silly to you that I sometimes get overwhelmed with the amount of anime I pick up each season or get bored so I put an anime on hold until I feel like watching it? I see no reason to drop it. Next thing you're going to be telling me that I should drop the anime in my watching list that I only watch an episode of when I'm bored once every couple of months. All that matters is the intent. I intend to pick up all the anime on my on hold list, that's why they're there and not in my dropped list, I actually looking forward to some.

Never watched it so it is not effective.
Mar 24, 2014 12:18 PM

Mar 2014
3 episodes,if it's still hurts my eyes , i'll drop it.
Mar 24, 2014 12:23 PM

Mar 2014
gamer2710 said:
One. If the first episode fails to interest me, then there is no point in continuing. First impressions are important.

The first ep of noragami bored the shit out of me , but the next episodes where nice.
Mar 24, 2014 12:25 PM
Dec 2013
Depends on the length of the show. If it's a 20+ series then it;s 6. If it's shorter than that, then 3.
Mar 24, 2014 12:27 PM

Mar 2011
Probably around 2-3 episodes are enough for me to see if an anime is worth watching or not. If I see at least a tiny bit of potential for it to get better I put it on-hold to watch it later on or else I drop it.
Mar 24, 2014 12:44 PM
Oct 2008
6 episode max. Great number, by the way. You know all of characters, their motives , whom you like or not. I don't put now any anime on hold list, they just are on watching list till my further notice. Don't have time to watch all anime in one season so i ignore most of them ;)
Mar 24, 2014 12:52 PM

Aug 2008
Usually one episode is enough. Sometimes even first couple of minutes is enough when show is really crappy.
Ii tenki desu ne...
Mar 24, 2014 1:41 PM
Dec 2011
About 6-7 episodes because some animes have boring character introduction episodes. (ex: Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon)
Mar 24, 2014 3:37 PM

Jan 2013
It has to catch my attention in three minutes, 'cause that's my attention span.
Please understand.
Mar 24, 2014 4:16 PM

Aug 2013
I typically go 1 episode on any given anime; I don't have more than 20 minutes to just burn. However, if I don't like the first episode of a well-touted anime, I'll give it another 2 episodes. Sometimes more than 1 episode is 100% necessary in order to start enjoying an anime series.

The epitome of that situation is Lucky Star. I was literally bored out of my mind in the 1st episode, but it turned out to be one of my favorite anime series.
Mar 24, 2014 4:26 PM

Mar 2014
Typically, I'll drop an anime and give it a rating if I don't enjoy it after the first episode.
Sometimes, though... I'll think it's not very good, but want to give it more of a chance, and I'll watch a few more episodes after that (usually up to episode 3 or 4) before posting a rating.

Very rarely, I'll think a show is not very good, but still like it somewhat ironically, and end up just watching the whole thing! This leaves me somewhat disappointed in the time I wasted on it. :P
The most recent time I can think of with this when when I watched Heroman... >_<
::End of Transmission::

Mar 24, 2014 4:27 PM

Nov 2013
A few minutes.
Mar 24, 2014 4:29 PM
Nov 2008
IntroverTurtle said:
Seems silly to you that I sometimes get overwhelmed with the amount of anime I pick up each season or get bored so I put an anime on hold until I feel like watching it? I see no reason to drop it. Next thing you're going to be telling me that I should drop the anime in my watching list that I only watch an episode of when I'm bored once every couple of months. All that matters is the intent. I intend to pick up all the anime on my on hold list, that's why they're there and not in my dropped list, I actually looking forward to some.

eh? it just seems like you're doing it for the sake of an anime list on a website to me. i've been around here long enough to know that folk here get high and mighty about their 'nothing dropped' status (while their on-hold list just steadily gets bigger and bigger).

if i don't watch an episode of an anime for months, it goes to my on-hold list. if i don't watch that on-hold anime after all, it goes to my dropped list. if i ever do feel like watching that dropped anime, i pull it from the dropped list for a second chance. i'd consider an on-hold list of over 100 anime quite overwhelming, actually.

actually, if i watched an episode (just 1) of something and found it to be interesting enough i might throw it on my ptw list instead. it's probably going to be so long until i get around to it that i'll need to rewatch the first episode anyway.
no-thanksMar 24, 2014 4:50 PM
Mar 24, 2014 4:47 PM

Mar 2014
most likely if I started series Im always watch to the end (sometimes its painfull, like I trying to complete that garbage hyakka ryouran samurai girls for like 4 months. such a crap). but 6 series is most often enough to judge
please sell me the condom, mister
I would like to fuck my sister!
condoms really worth to keep
I will fuck her very deep!
could you be my condom keeper?
so I could try to fuck her deeper!

please think I m stupid but please dont think I m a troll.
--------------------------------------------------------------
http://protpisaenglish.blogspot.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipzn0J8cfrY
Mar 24, 2014 4:57 PM
Feb 2013
Tapey said:
I watch the entire series before judging.

Unless it's it kanon (2006)

Wot?!
You dropped Kanon 2006?!
Are you kidding me?!
Just watch the Makoto saga and you will see how naive was your choice.
(facepalm)
Mar 24, 2014 5:03 PM

Sep 2011
Heredity said:
IntroverTurtle said:
tsudecimo said:
IntroverTurtle said:
Heredity said:
to those saying they never drop anything: don't worry, you'll get to the stage where you just don't care anymore. it'll just happen one day, you'll be sitting there and suddenly think 'why the hell am i even watching this?'
When do you think I'll hit that stage?

Putting anime in an indefinite on hold list, is practically the same.
I don't really do that though. I joke about it sometimes but I do plan on getting back into all the anime in my on hold list. Which only part is actually on hold, others are OVAs that come out randomly, hentai for the same reason, anime I can't find subs or episodes for, etc,
that's what they all say. 'oh yeah, i swear on me mam i'll watch that there anime i started 3 years ago!'

i just moved a bunch of anime from my on-hold list to my dropped list a couple of hours ago because i'd forgotten about them entirely. i just come to terms with the fact that i obviously don't care enough to continue them, lol.
i put mushishi on hold 4 years ago, and i put noein on hold 5 years ago, finished noein a few months back and just picked up mushishi again and plan to finish it before season 2, so far one piece is the longest on hold show i have anymore which i stopped watching sometime in 2013 and am just waiting to get in the mood to watch something like it again

I finished bleach, i can finish any fucking thing at this point if i can complete that.

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Mar 24, 2014 5:25 PM
Nov 2008
JizzyHitler said:
i put mushishi on hold 4 years ago, and i put noein on hold 5 years ago, finished noein a few months back and just picked up mushishi again and plan to finish it before season 2, so far one piece is the longest on hold show i have anymore which i stopped watching sometime in 2013 and am just waiting to get in the mood to watch something like it again

I finished bleach, i can finish any fucking thing at this point if i can complete that.
but you've only been a member since 2011?

but yeah, finishing bleach is quite the feat.
Mar 24, 2014 5:35 PM

Nov 2010
Heredity said:
IntroverTurtle said:

eh? it just seems like you're doing it for the sake of an anime list on a website to me. i've been around here long enough to know that folk here get high and mighty about their 'nothing dropped' status (while their on-hold list just steadily gets bigger and bigger).

if i don't watch an episode of an anime for months, it goes to my on-hold list. if i don't watch that on-hold anime after all, it goes to my dropped list. if i ever do feel like watching that dropped anime, i pull it from the dropped list for a second chance. i'd consider an on-hold list of over 100 anime quite overwhelming, actually.

actually, if i watched an episode (just 1) of something and found it to be interesting enough i might throw it on my ptw list instead. it's probably going to be so long until i get around to it that i'll need to rewatch the first episode anyway.
Well you don't really know how I think, do you. And I've been here long enough to see that as user's completed anime grows higher, so does usually all other parts of their list not just on hold.

Well if I have no intention of watching an anime for a while, I'll put it on hold, that simple, I pick it up when I feel like watching it then it goes to my watch list until I finish it. If it's on your dropped list why would you pick it up? I thought dropped meant you had no intention of ever picking it up. I didn't know it was like second on hold level. I'd consider an on hold list of over 100 for someone who's watched over 1,500 anime to be quite normal actually. And relatively the size of our on hold lists to our completed list is close. Mine would be even closer if I didn't count the ones that aren't on hold voluntarily.

I've done that a few times, it depends.
Mar 24, 2014 5:43 PM
Nov 2008
IntroverTurtle said:
Heredity said:
IntroverTurtle said:

Well you don't really know how I think, do you. And I've been here long enough to see that as user's completed anime grows higher, so does usually all other parts of their list not just on hold.

Well if I have no intention of watching an anime for a while, I'll put it on hold, that simple, I pick it up when I feel like watching it then it goes to my watch list until I finish it. If it's on your dropped list why would you pick it up? I thought dropped meant you had no intention of ever picking it up. I didn't know it was like second on hold level. I'd consider an on hold list of over 100 for someone who's watched over 1,500 anime to be quite normal actually. And relatively the size of our on hold lists to our completed list is close. Mine would be even closer if I didn't count the ones that aren't on hold voluntarily.

I've done that a few times, it depends.
from what i've observed the on-hold list of a user who doesn't drop any anime is usually larger and stays larger for longer.

well, what if i dropped an anime 4 years ago because i thought it to be boring bu then a person i knew mentioned something about it that i'm now interested in? i can of course pull that anime out of my dropped list and try watching it again. it's not exactly locked in there. my attitude towards certain genres has changed too, anime that i dropped while younger might now actually interest me. hell, i might just give certain anime a second chance (like hyouka).

oh, and mal hasn't updated the on-hold count on my profile for some reason. i actually only have 13 on-hold anime, not 21.

fyi, i'm not attacking you. i'm continuing this line of discussion because you stood up and begged the question, lol.
Mar 24, 2014 5:43 PM
Sep 2013
My dropped list is pretty much my on-hold list. There's nothing that I know I will get back to and there's nothing that I know I will never pick back up. It's just me getting bored with those anime, so I'll stop watching them, put em' as dropped, then pick em' back up whenever I feel like it.

There's no specific number of episodes that I use to judge an anime. If I get bored, I get bored.
Mar 24, 2014 5:44 PM

Sep 2012
I judge every second I watch.
Mar 24, 2014 6:40 PM

Nov 2010
Heredity said:
from what i've observed the on-hold list of a user who doesn't drop any anime is usually larger and stays larger for longer.

well, what if i dropped an anime 4 years ago because i thought it to be boring bu then a person i knew mentioned something about it that i'm now interested in? i can of course pull that anime out of my dropped list and try watching it again. it's not exactly locked in there. my attitude towards certain genres has changed too, anime that i dropped while younger might now actually interest me. hell, i might just give certain anime a second chance (like hyouka).

oh, and mal hasn't updated the on-hold count on my profile for some reason. i actually only have 13 on-hold anime, not 21.

fyi, i'm not attacking you. i'm continuing this line of discussion because you stood up and begged the question, lol.
Only one user? And that's quite a specific userbase for you to observe. Almost to a point that I don't believe it.

I guess that's possible. But it doesn't sound like something that should be normally happening.

Give it time, and then our numbers are a little different. Though I haven't deducted the anime in my on hold list for subbing problems, episode problems, and the such.

Yeah I get it.
Mar 24, 2014 6:44 PM
Nov 2008
IntroverTurtle said:
Heredity said:

Only one user? And that's quite a specific userbase for you to observe. Almost to a point that I don't believe it.

I guess that's possible. But it doesn't sound like something that should be normally happening.

Give it time, and then our numbers are a little different. Though I haven't deducted the anime in my on hold list for subbing problems, episode problems, and the such.

Yeah I get it.
'only one user?' no, that's not what i typed at all.

so you seem to think that a dropped list is some sort of abyss that one could never actually pick an anime up from again? that's interesting.
no-thanksMar 24, 2014 6:58 PM
Mar 24, 2014 6:50 PM

Jan 2013
I always finish any anime I start watching, so I wont drop no matter what.
I usually judge at the end, but anime that are ongoing and have 100+ episodes I usually grade after about 80~ %
Mar 24, 2014 6:53 PM

Mar 2014
4th episode is usually my "fuck this" episode if I'm not enjoying it.
Mar 24, 2014 7:06 PM

Nov 2010
Heredity said:
only one user?' no, that's not what i typed at all.

so you seem to think that a dropped list is some sort of abyss that one could never actually pick an anime up from again? that's interesting.
Nevermind, you not using a comma in that sentence messed me up. And still like I said, that's a very specific userbase to pay so close attention to one part of their list and compare it with others.

And I never said that. But I do think a dropped list is supposed to be more permanent than an on hold list. That's it's purpose. For anime you have no intent on watching again, of course like you said there are circumstances where you might take them out. But if it's a normal thing to take it out and put it back in then it's more like an on hold list.
Of course if I never take an anime out of my on hold list then it's more like a dropped list. But I regularly do take out specials, OVAs, and hentai. And watch some of the series I have built up.
Mar 24, 2014 7:43 PM

Apr 2013
Mar 24, 2014 9:36 PM

Jan 2014
I will try around 3 episode or so. After that i will try to see a review if the show get better or not
"This is boring...I'm bored..."
Mar 24, 2014 10:50 PM
Sep 2013
Usually something around episode 3 or 4. If the anime doesn't convince me by then, it either gets on my drop list or I just delete it completely and never look back.
Mar 25, 2014 12:39 AM

Aug 2011
I usually watch 2\3 episodes before I decide to continue with it or not . In my opinion you get the taste of it show after the first episode but if I don't get hooked up after the first I still give it a chance and watch one or two more and if still doesn;t suit my taste I drop it.
Mar 25, 2014 3:17 AM

Oct 2013
First episode impression is important to me, it becomes my basis on how i prioritize that anime. But as for others, probably 3-5 episodes. Although, i always give my rating/score only when i completed the anime.
Mar 25, 2014 3:20 AM

Oct 2013
Every events? Fully judging it though, at least half of the season. By this time I can usually predict at least 50% accurately what's going to happen and say what I think about this series. Unless the show isn't very memorable that I forgot what happened.
Mar 25, 2014 3:24 AM

Jul 2013
I give the animes I watch a 3 episode rule. If by episode 3 and things are still sucky, I'll drop it.
I'm an Avid Slice of Life fan, if you have any interesting SoL anime/manga to introduce, please do so ^^,

Just your typical Yandere lover :3
Mar 25, 2014 3:32 AM

Aug 2012
3 episodes to see whether the anime is worth continuing or to put aside (on-hold) or completely drop it. But for me to judge an anime, depends on the length, usually about half - 25 episodes then I will tend to judge around episode 13 unless its some long anime like 50+ episodes.
Mar 25, 2014 3:36 AM
Feb 2014
i personally watch 3 episode to give me a generally idea of the anime .
which was why i watched total eclipse muv luv to ep 20 before dropping it
Once you taste poison, you might as well finish the meal. If it comes to that you would make as fine a dish as any.-Horo
Mar 25, 2014 4:04 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
godly-bell said:
i personally watch 3 episode to give me a generally idea of the anime .
which was why i watched total eclipse muv luv to ep 20 before dropping it
Total Eclipse won't give you any sort of idea of how the real MLA is even if you watch all of it :P
Mar 25, 2014 4:06 AM

Feb 2014
Depends on the reviews of the anime
If its bad only 1
Anything else 3-5
"Whatever happens, happens." - Spike Spiegel

Mar 25, 2014 4:26 AM

Nov 2012
If a show is trash from episode 1, it'll be trash for the rest of the show. If a show has potential despite lackluster first episode, it's worth a few more episodes. If the first episode is good, well definitely going to keep watching right?

Also if a show is mediocre or generic and not even bad enough to call trash, that'll probably be dropped before the trash.
Mar 25, 2014 6:14 AM

Feb 2014
I judge them after I watched them...
Just seems fair.
Mar 26, 2014 1:32 PM

Jan 2014
At least 5. Then i would either drop it or just watch it till the end just because i have download every episode.
Mar 26, 2014 9:22 PM

Mar 2013
At least 4-5 then I would carefully re-watch at least 1-3 again before I decide.
Mar 26, 2014 9:24 PM

Sep 2012
I finish them, simple.Unless I finish them, I don't feel satisfied at all.
Mar 27, 2014 2:19 AM

Jun 2008
I start judging from the very first one.
Mar 27, 2014 11:52 PM

Sep 2010
Varies from show to show really. Some suck at the beginning but get better. Some don't.
Spring 2014: NANANA WINS ALL.
Check out my blog :) http://castlebell.blogspot.com/
Mar 27, 2014 11:53 PM

Jan 2013
I watch a show until the end before I rate it.
But the judging part starts at the very first minute.
Makomonogatari said:
lupadim said:
And the best part is that no one can prove it wrong
The best part is that you somehow actually exist.
Mar 28, 2014 1:24 AM

May 2009
If the first episode is shit, it gets dropped on the spot; if the first episode is tolerable enough to keep watching, I'll give it 3 to 5 episodes to see where it goes.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 28, 2014 1:35 AM

Jun 2013
I don't judge it until I've finished watching it.
Mar 28, 2014 2:26 AM

Mar 2014
One Episode.
Literally if I bore to death then there is no point in continuing.
Mar 28, 2014 6:56 AM

Aug 2013
Jimmu said:
One Episode.
Literally if I bore to death then there is no point in continuing.

^this
Chance favors only the prepared mind....
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Anime carried by Animation ( 1 2 )

ST63LTH - Yesterday

65 by APolygons2 »»
46 seconds ago

» Dub translation errors

JoeChip - 5 hours ago

7 by LSSJ_Gaming »»
3 minutes ago

» Are there any hobbies you do that are influenced by anime?

otaku2000anime - 1 hour ago

8 by Zimmu »»
5 minutes ago

» Looks like mecha anime's are dead. RIP, giant robots. ( 1 2 3 4 )

Gashadokur0 - Jun 23

191 by Gashadokur0 »»
11 minutes ago

» Best episodic anime

JoeChip - 4 hours ago

15 by etran3016 »»
35 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.