Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Monogatari Series: First Season
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Jan 5, 2013 9:38 PM
Jul 2012
we need to see hitagi more
Jan 5, 2013 10:06 PM
(Gamer)

Aug 2009
I was wondering where arararagi-kun hid the sword.

Jan 5, 2013 10:07 PM
(Gamer)

Aug 2009
jjrocks24 said:
we need to see hitagi more

Well, it's supposed to happen before bakemonogatari.

Jan 5, 2013 10:11 PM

Mar 2012
Wonder when the next Monogatari series will come out. This was a really good one. I actually got a bit of the chills seeing Senjougahara at the end there.
Jan 5, 2013 11:19 PM

Aug 2012
TravSavage said:
I actually got a bit of the chills seeing Senjougahara at the end there.

^This

and still waiting patiently for a 3rd season of Spice & Wolf :'|
Jan 6, 2013 12:34 AM

Sep 2009
Sweet damn, this series has so much going for it I fall into a mini coma and just fantasize about the possibilities and run though every aspect of the story over and over again in my little anime induced bubble.

Seriously, so much rewatch value in this that shutter of watching it again from the beginning in fear that I'll never stop, or if lord forbids, I start to grow tire of it.
Jan 6, 2013 8:17 AM

Aug 2009
Fiji said:
I didn't expect we will get such a convenient plot device called "Aberration Sword".
The problem is that Kizu isnt out yet."Aberration Sword" is first "seen" in Kizu and we do know its power since then.The problem is that SHAFT has yet to release the film.100% not a plot device.

JohnGalt89 said:
I am probably in the minority here but this was actually my least favorite of the three series so far. It was still entertaining; however, it failed to grab my attention as much as Bakemono or Nisemono. And, as much I usually enjoy the dialogue in this series, this was the first time that I can remember finding myself bored during some of the conversations.

But, regardless of my complaints, I would still give this a 7/10.
Same here but my problem was more with parts of the animation,that just werent as good as in Bake and Nise,and while I didnt get bored of the dialogues in Neko Kuro I prefer the ones in Bake and Nise.

I dont know about the others but the Araragi-(Black)Hanekawa dialogues arent that great(IMO) compared to Araragi-Hitagi,Araragi-Hachikuji,Araragi-Shinobu etc we had in Nise and Bake. Araragi-Oshino really saved the day in Neko for me.

It was cool that SHAFT added Hitagi in the end.It would be nice if that was possible in the LN too.
Jan 6, 2013 9:03 AM

Sep 2011
Honestly thought it was amazing.

It gave Hanekawa and Araragi's relationship a better sense of well-roundness while offering a better perspective in regards to Hanekawa's personality. While Senjougahara and Araragi remains as my favorite couple, the complexity behind Hanekawa's character and the channel (and eventual assimilation) that is Black Hanekawa is something that I greatly find refreshing in terms of a "victimized" character. The confirmation that Black Hanekawa is truly the embodiment of Hanekawa's inner destructive urges was something that I was looking for in Bake, and to see it fully realized in Neko (Kuro) was absolutely brilliant. That scene where she herself was speaking in place of the Sawari Neko (Meddle Cat) was something that really cemented certain theories I had about the character and it confirms a specific layer of depth that has long been hinted throughout the series.

Oshino's neutral stance was something that I greatly enjoyed as well, although at this point, it's certainly easier to pin-point the limits of his insight. In that regard, I find him similar to Kagenui (although Kagenui is less flexible) whereas Kaiki remains as the only one who's views maintain a sense of limitless mystique. While some people complained about Araragi's resolve in this, I really like how the writer went out of his way to really distinguish Araragi's stance towards Hanekawa (regarding the family issues and her own mental issues), and how as a male character who holds a strong bond with a female character, he is actually able to differentiate his attraction to her from "love".

While Nise certainly provided a lot more interesting concepts, the fact that this gave a more wholesome experience regarding Hanekawa and her relationship with Araragi is something that I truly appreciated. While some complained that this lacked the same humor and wit as the other shows of the franchise, I'm honestly grateful it stayed true to form in terms of how Hanekawa's character arcs are written (in that they tend to be more dark, serious and neutrally introspective as it kept getting further into the story). For a quick 2 hour special, I was certainly not disappointed.
ronriJan 7, 2013 2:55 PM
Jan 7, 2013 7:47 AM

Dec 2011
DawnJ said:
Tr1ckR said:
If the movie was currently out as well, what order would i watch these releases in? chronological? or the order the novels were released in?

Release order(novel) is bake-kizu-nise-neko(kuro) and that'll be better watching in this order... but we never know when the movie comes.

sweet, thanks for that.
Jan 7, 2013 8:23 AM

May 2012
ronri said:
Honestly thought it was amazing.

It gave Hanekawa and Araragi's relationship a better sense of well-roundness while offering a better perspective in regards to Hanekawa's personality. While Senjougahara and Araragi remains as my favorite couple, the complexity behind Hanekawa's character and the channel (and eventual assimilation) that is Black Hanekawa is something that I greatly find refreshing in terms of a "victimized" character. The confirmation that Black Hanekawa is truly the embodiment of Hanekawa's inner destructive urges was something that I was looking for in Bake, and to see it fully realized in Neko (Kuro) was absolutely brilliant. That scene where she herself was speaking in place of the Sawari Neko (Meddle Cat) was something that really cemented certain theories I had about the character and it confirms a specific layer of depth that has long been hinted throughout the series.

Oshino's neutral stance was something that I greatly enjoyed as well, although at this point, it's certainly easier to pin-point the limits of his insight. In that regard, I find him similar to Kagenui (although Kagenui is less flexible) whereas Kaiki remains as the only one who's views maintain a sense of limitless mystique. While some people complained about Araragi's resolve in this, I really like how the writer went out of his way to really distinguish Araragi's stance towards Hanekawa (regarding the family issues and her own mental issues), and how as a male a character who holds a strong bond with a female character, he is actually able to differentiate his attraction to her from "love".

While Nise certainly provided a lot more interesting concepts, the fact that this gave a more wholesome experience regarding Hanekawa and her relationship with Araragi is something that I truly appreciated. While some complained that this lacked the same humor and wit as the other shows of the franchise, I'm honestly grateful it stayed true to form in terms of how Hanekawa's character arcs are written (in that they tend to be more dark, serious and neutrally introspective as it kept getting further into the story). For a quick 2 hour special, I was certainly not disappointed.

marry me now
Jan 7, 2013 3:48 PM

Jan 2009
I climb those stairs...

and Gahara-san in those stairs... :)
english isn't my native language... ;)
Jan 7, 2013 5:25 PM

Mar 2012
Am I the only one who enjoyed Nisemonogatari the most?
Personally I found the dialogue just as well written as Bakemonogatari with the addition of it being funnier as well, while Bakemonogatari dialogue got slow at times explaining stuff. Furthermore the animation had also got a boost too, and to top it off Oshino Shinobu actually had a good amount of dialogue (which was great). Was the fanservice in it really that off putting?
Jan 7, 2013 6:22 PM

Sep 2011
ElPysCongroo said:
Personally I found the dialogue just as well written as Bakemonogatari with the addition of it being funnier as well, while Bakemonogatari dialogue got slow at times explaining stuff. Furthermore the animation had also got a boost too, and to top it off Oshino Shinobu actually had a good amount of dialogue (which was great). Was the fanservice in it really that off putting?

I personally enjoyed Nise, and while the fanservice was certainly risque, I thought that it was actually in line with the tongue-in-cheek humor of the franchise. Only reason I rated Bake higher is because Nise didn't present as much of a huge development in terms of the characters and it felt more like a solid bridge for what's yet to come (namely Zenmonogatari) than a full-fledged sequel. Admittedly that's also partly the reason why I could tolerate the fanservice as Nise felt more like an exercise of the quirks of the franchise (the supernatural/philosophical aspects as well as the playful sexual tension) instead of specifically focusing on the characters/story.

Now regarding Neko (Kuro), I actually find it ridiculous that people are calling out for Shinobu's sword (aka the "Oddity/Aberration Killer") as a deus ex machina (do people know what the term even means anymore?). The weapon was something that was foreshadowed since Bake (Oshino even suggested on using it to cut Kanbaru's Rainy Devil arm), and its presence here is practically something that was long-awaited since its very mention in the original series. If anything, it was simply a plot device that was symbolic of Shinobu's cooperation and understanding since only she could use it properly (not even mentioning the fact that it practically merges with her, to seemingly enhance her well-established energy drain).
ronriJan 7, 2013 6:54 PM
Jan 7, 2013 10:18 PM

Nov 2008
With all that sexy lingerie I could not keep up with the subtitles!

Great story, Tsubasa should get another chance at getting Koyomi.

I can't wait to watch the prequel to this arc!

9/10
Jan 8, 2013 2:08 AM

Sep 2009
Koyomi Araragi's legs do not give a single fuck.

ElPysCongroo said:

Yes.
Jan 8, 2013 9:00 AM

Sep 2011
mugimugi said:

I'm not sure to interpret it like the sword enhances her Energy Drain.

Thanks for the info. Well that certainly reinforces the point of what I was saying even more, in that the sword was more of a plot device that led to Shinobu's full cooperation. So if anything, it was Shinobu herself that committed to helping Araragi instead of merely simply lending a hand by offering the use of the sword.
ronriJan 8, 2013 9:04 AM
Jan 9, 2013 3:01 AM
Aug 2007
Did anyone else notice the tie ins from Nekomonogatari to Nisemonogatari?

Like how Karen was going to sacrifice herself for her classmates but was stopped by Araragi who told her to settle for self satisfaction, when he was willing to die for Hanekawa's sake in this prequel. I think the hate on Nisemonogatari is really unjustified, because there was a lot of thought provoking themes and overall the character development of Araragi.

Also, why Araragi doesn't love Hanekawa. You can notice the fundamental difference between Hitagi and Hanekawa in the difference between their arcs. In Hitagi Crab, Araragi helps Hitagi with her situation but didn't save her, as Oshino Meme says it, you can only save yourself. By begging for her dignity back from the Crab God, Hitagi is able to save herself. Hanekawa has a problem but seeks for her "savior" (Araragi) to save her, but she can only save herself by confronting her own stress. Remember how in Bakemonogatari she gains stress again because she loves Araragi? Instead of confessing her love she escapes into Black Hanekawa, again leaving it to Araragi to drain her stress, in other words, running away. Araragi cannot return his feelings to Hanekawa until Hanekawa confronts her own problems herself instead of relying on Araragi.

ItaDrakereJan 9, 2013 3:42 AM
Jan 9, 2013 3:26 AM

Aug 2009
^It was even better in the LN,as you know,since Araragi was like some sort of medium always looking into the future.

Like that he would never attack a twintailed grade schooler etc....
Jan 9, 2013 4:23 AM

Sep 2011
drakere said:
Did anyone else notice the tie ins from Nekomonogatari to Nisemonogatari?

Like how Karen was going to sacrifice herself for her classmates but was stopped by Araragi who told her to settle for self satisfaction, when he was willing to die for Hanekawa's sake in this prequel. I think the hate on Nisemonogatari is really unjustified, because there was a lot of thought provoking themes and overall the character development of Araragi.

Also, why Araragi doesn't love Hanekawa. You can notice the fundamental difference between Hitagi and Hanekawa in the difference between their arcs. In Hitagi Crab, Araragi helps Hitagi with her situation but didn't save her, as Oshino Meme says it, you can only save yourself. By begging for her dignity back from the Crab God, Hitagi is able to save herself. Hanekawa has a problem but seeks for her "savior" (Araragi) to save her, but she can only save herself by confronting her own stress. Remember how in Bakemonogatari she gains stress again because she loves Araragi? Instead of confessing her love she escapes into Black Hanekawa, again leaving it to Araragi to drain her stress, in other words, running away. Araragi cannot return his feelings to Hanekawa until Hanekawa confronts her own problems herself instead of relying on Araragi.

Good post. I agree, I really enjoyed Nisemonogatari as it presented a lot of interesting themes. Also agree with the notion behind the difference between Senjougahara and Hanekawa.
Jan 9, 2013 7:05 PM

Aug 2010
Good ending and good show overall. I liked it. Now I need Kizumonogatari. Need more Shinobu.
Jan 12, 2013 7:36 AM

Jan 2011
Shinobu-chan was awesome.

Loved how it meshed perfectly with the next chapter being what we have already seen.

8/10 love the series and the preview of Monogatari S2 was exciting!
Jan 12, 2013 2:18 PM

Aug 2009
8/10
I have to say tho I was a little confused at the start, and I still am.

The thing tho that made Nekomonogatari for me was the end epilogue that Koyomi spoke before the credits.
And the last two sentences in particular:
"Araragi Koyomi fell out of love for the first time though he wasnt in love."
Now here is the awesome part:
"I climb those stairs."
And you se a silouete of Senjougahara standing at the stairs, then cuting out to the credits.
It sent shivers down my spine, i'm loving it (´ ▽`).。o♡

I have to say tho I have enjoyed Bakemonogatari the most 10/10 and Nisemonogatari 8/10, excited for the next season aswell.
Jan 12, 2013 8:54 PM

Sep 2011
Rewston said:
8/10
I have to say tho I was a little confused at the start, and I still am.

It's not so much she'll get possessed by it again. Remember that at the end, Oshino said that she actually absorbed it, so it essentially became a part of her. In Bakemonogatari, I assume that she did the reverse in comparison to Nekonogatari. While the Sawari Neko (Meddle Cat) allowed Hanekawa to use its abilities to terrorize people in Nekomonogatari, I would assume that in Bakemonogatari that Hanekawa hid herself and allowed the Sawari Neko to do its own thing because she didn't want to confront Araragi about her feelings towards him. I think it's really cool though, and it certainly offers an interesting dynamic about Hanekawa's character.
Jan 13, 2013 2:43 AM

Aug 2009
Ah yes that makes sence, thank you for shedding some light on the issue for me. (o・_・)ノ”(ノ_<。)

I was just checking aswell how Araragi was acting around when Hanekawa brought up her issue again in Bakemonogatari, and idd they are connecting well, Araragi even says: "It really does seem like a continuation of Golden Week." But Hanekawa ofc has no clue of what he is talking about, its a new issue for her.

Edit: Had a double post >,>
Jan 13, 2013 4:02 AM

Sep 2011
Rewston said:
Ah yes that makes sence, thank you for shedding some light on the issue for me. (o・_・)ノ”(ノ_<。)

I was just checking aswell how Araragi was acting around when Hanekawa brought up her issue again in Bakemonogatari, and idd they are connecting well, Araragi even says: "It really does seem like a continuation of Golden Week." But Hanekawa ofc has no clue of what he is talking about, its a new issue for her.

Edit: Had a double post >,>

Yup pretty much. Something interesting I liked in Nekomonogatari is that Hanekawa COULD'VE retained her memories, but that the whole experience led to her forgetting them and that's the price she paid. Bakemonogatari was great because they kept it ambiguous, so we never know if Hanekawa remembers her experience when Black Hanekawa revealed Hanekawa's love for Araragi. I honestly can't wait for the next season of Monogatari though. ^_^
ronriJan 13, 2013 4:05 AM
Jan 14, 2013 7:02 PM

Jul 2010
Love it! Ever since I became a Bakemonogatari fan, I've been dying to see the rest of the monogatari animes. Shaft always amazes me with their animation. :D

@D3ad_Fantasy: gosh, I love your avatar!! ♥
Senjougahara: Don't call me "this chick"
Araragi: Then what should I call you?
Senjougahara: Senjougahara-sama.
Araragi: SEN - JOU - GA - HAA - RAA - SAA - MAA
Senjougahara: I don't like the way you say it. Say it properly.
Araragi: Senjougahara-chan~
Jan 21, 2013 11:05 AM

May 2012
hatahari said:
Love it! Ever since I became a Bakemonogatari fan, I've been dying to see the rest of the monogatari animes. Shaft always amazes me with their animation. :D

@D3ad_Fantasy: gosh, I love your avatar!! ♥

thanks mate :)
Jan 27, 2013 10:54 PM

Jun 2011
Elite60 said:
I don't care if you can regenerate...getting sliced in half will hurt like a royal bitch.

I completely agree w/ you, im surprised that he could still talk.

Jan 30, 2013 11:32 AM

Apr 2011
This was decent overall...there were some funny moments.
Feb 23, 2013 6:34 AM
Nov 2012
again the monogatari series never fails me. awesome ending and the dialogue are amazing
Feb 26, 2013 5:39 PM
Jan 2012
:o
BronzeAge
Mar 4, 2013 2:26 PM

Mar 2012
I'm starting to think that none of the subsequent animated arcs will ever be near as good, or even better than Bakemonogatari....it was the only season that was well-balanced and did everything right, Nise was close, but not entirely interesting all the way through, Neko....80% fanservice 20% interesting.....if it was atleast 50/50 it would be great...but doing a prequel arc where we know a good bit of background info already from Bake, these 4 episodes were simply not enough I guess that's why I got to stare at a cat in lingerie for 75% of this arc...I understand theres a sequel season to this, and I only hope either that or Kizu will be close to as good as Bake...7/10

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment"
Mar 6, 2013 3:41 AM

Sep 2011
Venom900 said:
I'm starting to think that none of the subsequent animated arcs will ever be near as good, or even better than Bakemonogatari....it was the only season that was well-balanced and did everything right, Nise was close, but not entirely interesting all the way through, Neko....80% fanservice 20% interesting.....if it was atleast 50/50 it would be great...but doing a prequel arc where we know a good bit of background info already from Bake, these 4 episodes were simply not enough I guess that's why I got to stare at a cat in lingerie for 75% of this arc...I understand theres a sequel season to this, and I only hope either that or Kizu will be close to as good as Bake...7/10

I don't know what's worse, the fact that you barely cared for the elaboration of one of the most interesting and long-questioned character dynamics in the series, or the fact that you simply took the majority of this whole thing as simply nothing more than cat-lingerie fanservice....
ronriMar 6, 2013 4:07 AM
Mar 8, 2013 9:40 PM

Mar 2012
ronri said:

I don't know what's worse, the fact that you barely cared for the elaboration of one of the most interesting and long-questioned character dynamics in the series, or the fact that you simply took the majority of this whole thing as simply nothing more than cat-lingerie fanservice....

I dont know what's worse, believing your personal opinion is superior to mine, or the arrogance of assuming that I care about it.
Venom900Mar 9, 2013 10:56 AM

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment"
Mar 10, 2013 10:29 AM

Sep 2011
Venom900 said:
ronri said:

I dont know what's worse, believing your personal opinion is superior to mine, or the arrogance of assuming that I care about it.

No assumptions being made about who's opinion is "superior" here, just an observation regarding the fact that you seemed very quick to dismiss the majority of this (in your own words) as 80% fanservice. Perhaps I injected too much of a sarcastic tone in my previous comment as that seemingly caused you to reply so adamantly. In that regard, I do apologize (though I guess you might not really care at this point? and no I'm not even being sarcastic here).
ronriMar 10, 2013 10:40 AM
Mar 10, 2013 11:35 AM

Mar 2012
ronri said:
Venom900 said:
ronri said:

No assumptions being made about who's opinion is "superior" here, just an observation regarding the fact that you seemed very quick to dismiss the majority of this (in your own words) as 80% fanservice. Perhaps I injected too much of a sarcastic tone in my previous comment as that seemingly caused you to reply so adamantly. In that regard, I do apologize (though I guess you might not really care at this point? and no I'm not even being sarcastic here).

I found it to be pretty sarcastic, I usually reply with a sarcastic reply similiar to the one that was given to me if one was given, otherwise it's much more civilized, now that we both know we're being serious here....

It's not as if I went through the 4 episodes one after the other over the span of 2-3 hours and quickly and blantantly worded it off as fanservice. I spent about 5 or 6 days watching this one, coupled with other shows aswell. I'm a huge fan of Bakemonogatari, so naturally I'm going to compare the one I liked the most to the others in the series. It's not that it was bad, infact I liked how it finally picked up in episode 3 toward the middle of it, but it felt like this arc had only two focal points (fanservice and tsubasa's past), and because of how the first episode progressed (teaser fanservice of a boy who has sexual desires to a girl) I was a bit annoyed because it was too short imo to use up an entire episode just for that, one can argue that it builds up the story, but I don't buy it..I was against a prequel arc when I heard of this being aired eventually because if memory serves, a good portion of Tsubasa's story (past and present) was explained in the latter half of Bake, being a prequel series it was obvious that Koyomi would not succeed in truely saving her in this one. Personally a sequel arc would have been great, I liked Tsubasa's character but I felt like she deserved a better closure, like Hitagi.

As a side note, what I meant by caring or not was in regards to your sarcastic remarks, not the remark itself, but the tone of it. I'm not usually one to off and comment about other people's comments because naturely they are either the same, or the opposite which is pointless to simply say hey I agree, or hey this is why your wrong but occassionally I'll write something in reply to another if I feel that strong about it, or such as this when someone has challenged me to prove my side.

Mar 10, 2013 5:22 PM

Sep 2011
Venom900 said:

I found it to be pretty sarcastic, I usually reply with a sarcastic reply similiar to the one that was given to me if one was given, otherwise it's much more civilized, now that we both know we're being serious here....

It's not as if I went through the 4 episodes one after the other over the span of 2-3 hours and quickly and blantantly worded it off as fanservice. I spent about 5 or 6 days watching this one, coupled with other shows aswell. I'm a huge fan of Bakemonogatari, so naturally I'm going to compare the one I liked the most to the others in the series. It's not that it was bad, infact I liked how it finally picked up in episode 3 toward the middle of it, but it felt like this arc had only two focal points (fanservice and tsubasa's past), and because of how the first episode progressed (teaser fanservice of a boy who has sexual desires to a girl) I was a bit annoyed because it was too short imo to use up an entire episode just for that, one can argue that it builds up the story, but I don't buy it..I was against a prequel arc when I heard of this being aired eventually because if memory serves, a good portion of Tsubasa's story (past and present) was explained in the latter half of Bake, being a prequel series it was obvious that Koyomi would not succeed in truely saving her in this one. Personally a sequel arc would have been great, I liked Tsubasa's character but I felt like she deserved a better closure, like Hitagi.

As a side note, what I meant by caring or not was in regards to your sarcastic remarks, not the remark itself, but the tone of it. I'm not usually one to off and comment about other people's comments because naturely they are either the same, or the opposite which is pointless to simply say hey I agree, or hey this is why your wrong but occassionally I'll write something in reply to another if I feel that strong about it, or such as this when someone has challenged me to prove my side.

Thank you for the reply, while I was initially very sarcastic in my tone, this was actually the kind of answer I was hoping for, so I apologize for my initial comment for being too premature in the way I reacted.

Fair enough, but that's the thing I really enjoyed about this. Although despite the gratuitous nature of the initial teasing of the love vs. lust aspect (which was admittedly entertaining in its own way), what I actually loved about that particular segment is that it actually addressed a lot of questions that many fans have speculated or questioned regarding Araragi's case: in that, did Araragi actually love Hanekawa and was simply in denial of it due to being more aware of his love for Hitagi first? Was Hitagi REALLY just lucky for asking him out first? These were many questions that fans have continually speculated, and this arc is pretty much a full elaboration behind Araragi and Hanekawa's dynamic as characters.

In that regard, I actually appreciated what they did and how they set up the whole premise. Araragi fell out of "love" for the first time, only to realize that he wasn't really in love with Hanekawa, and I felt that gave a more pronounced meaning behind how special his relationship with Hitagi truly was. I found that this felt more like a proper answer to the questions posed in Bake (WHY does Hanekawa have a sour relationship with her parents? why is the Meddle Cat/Sawari Neko so keen on siding with Hanekawa? is Black Hanekawa simply Hanekawa possessed? or is it Hanekawa's dark impulses unleashed? is it possible that Hanekawa is acting according to her own free will?). In this regard, it actually gave more depth in the reasoning behind Hanekawa's possession and her relationship with her parents as opposed to being a reiteration of Bake. I also applaud the writer for re-establishing the mythology of the Meddle Cat, not to mention it's actualization as a new and unique case of a human turning into real aberration.

While I agree that Hanekawa certainly deserves better closure (since the content given here are more of an answer to the questions posed in Bake, while also acting as a foreshadowing to the future events depicted in Bake), I take refuge in the fact that this arc can be taken as an elaborate prelude to the one in the upcoming Zenmonogatari with her respective arc actually being labeled as "Nekomonogatari: Shiro" (which hints at being the final arc to conclude Hanekawa's dealings with the Meddle Cat).
Mar 10, 2013 6:26 PM

Mar 2012
ronri said:

Thank you for the reply, while I was initially very sarcastic in my tone, this was actually the kind of answer I was hoping for, so I apologize for my initial comment for being too premature in the way I reacted.

Fair enough, but that's the thing I really enjoyed about this. Although despite the gratuitous nature of the initial teasing of the love vs. lust aspect (which was admittedly entertaining in its own way), what I actually loved about that particular segment is that it actually addressed a lot of questions that many fans have speculated or questioned regarding Araragi's case: in that, did Araragi actually love Hanekawa and was simply in denial of it due to being more aware of his love for Hitagi first? Was Hitagi REALLY just lucky for asking him out first? These were many questions that fans have continually speculated, and this arc is pretty much a full elaboration behind Araragi and Hanekawa's dynamic as characters.

In that regard, I actually appreciated what they did and how they set up the whole premise. Araragi fell out of "love" for the first time, only to realize that he wasn't really in love with Hanekawa, and I felt that gave a more pronounced meaning behind how special his relationship with Hitagi truly was. I found that this felt more like a proper answer to the questions posed in Bake (WHY does Hanekawa have a sour relationship with her parents? why is the Meddle Cat/Sawari Neko so keen on siding with Hanekawa? is Black Hanekawa simply Hanekawa possessed? or is it Hanekawa's dark impulses unleashed? is it possible that Hanekawa is acting according to her own free will?). In this regard, it actually gave more depth in the reasoning behind Hanekawa's possession and her relationship with her parents as opposed to being a reiteration of Bake. I also applaud the writer for re-establishing the mythology of the Meddle Cat, not to mention it's actualization as a new and unique case of a human turning into real aberration.

While I agree that Hanekawa certainly deserves better closure (since the content given here are more of an answer to the questions posed in Bake, while also acting as a foreshadowing to the future events depicted in Bake), I take refuge in the fact that this arc can be taken as an elaborate prelude to the one in the upcoming Zenmonogatari with her respective arc actually being labeled as "Nekomonogatari: Shiro" (which hints at being the final arc to conclude Hanekawa's dealings with the Meddle Cat).

I actually edited out a lot of what I'm going to reply with because I had no idea how you would respond to my sarcastic reply (which this part was actually civilized, only the first line was sarcastic in the first version), normally most would reply as immature back as they possibly could and really after my reply I would say I deserve it because all I did was add fuel to the fire (which in this case I also apologize for), but that's just how I am in those situations but I figured that's how your second reply would play out, so writing it all out would have been basically pointless so I thought. In fact I think you're probably the first in awhile that has turned out to be quite civilized once you start working it out which is pretty cool actually.

When I said that the first ep could be argued as sort of a build-up is actually referring to what you stated, but I saw it a bit differently, which is why I said It would be hard for me to buy into it. To elaborate, I personally saw the lust thing as the initial conflict that this arc would be based on (which actually it was, and Araragi was put to the test with it during the vastly long scenes with Hanekawa in lingerie)...but I felt like it was too...comedic for too long, Bake opened up comedic, but by the first episode's end it got pretty deep when Hitagi was introduced. Because it was too comedic for too long, I really couldn't take it serious, and that also expanded out during the second episode until the end (I'm very confident that Araragi nearly dying was a very serious moment, probably one of the most serious moments in the animated series)
From practically the end of the first episode I won't keep it a secret, I was pretty down about the arc, add that to my already slight negative attitude towards it because of wanting more of a sequel (which I saw on earlier replies to this post there's a sequel, but I searched for it and never came up on MAL, so I dismissed it, thanks for clarifying that, I will definately look forward to Zenmonogatari).

I was also a bit...unimpressed with the answer given in regards to why Hanekawa was so distant to her parents, I felt like (unless I missed something in the dialogue, which is totally possible) the answer was, either really simple or wasn't given at all. Her parents she's with, are not her biological parents, nor are they related in any which manner, but I got really perked up so to speak, when it was revealed her father hit her, but was largely disappointed with the sort of brushing under the carpet answer to the question: Why? Simply because she talks back to her parents in a fairly rude way, because thats how she is, I felt like it was a very much unsuspenseful, or rather a really normal problem that most people in their high school years experience, that in my mind, doesn't add up to why she summoned the Cursed Cat. In Bake, it turns out that Araragi and the people around her are also part of the reason as to why she's so stressed out, but that's in Bake, for the prequel to really have a problem that's too normal for a series that has pretty complex problems, there's a lot more to it I would bet that has yet to be revealed.

When it brought to light whether or not maybe she's purposefully possessing herself, or whether it was out of her hands I thought it brought more confusion than it did clarification. During the 4th episode it was just really confusing when it was brought up how maybe she was responsible all along for the Cursed Cat, and not the curse itself, but really that in my mind atleast, left more questions than answers for a final episode, because I'm not entirely sure, but that really wasn't explained either in Bake, but as you said, there's a sequel so I'll leave it at that, now that I know.

In regards to what I would call "hidden love triangle" I'm not exactly sure what to think of it at all, It's not like he didn't confuse lust with love toward Hitagi at the beginning either, but with the way the 4th episode ended, I would probably believe that Hitagi did get there first, but also because she seems interested towards him, it felt pretty much like a one-sided relationship between Araragi and Hanekawa in both Bake and in Neko, this could also be because she's much more focused/stressed with her own problems, to add more to it. As a whole, I think the entire series deserves a 10, it sucks to break good series down by arcs like this one, because then you get real technical which can be good, but also bad, depending on how you view it.
Venom900Mar 10, 2013 6:32 PM

Mar 15, 2013 6:16 PM

Sep 2011
@Venom900

I apologize for the VERY late reply. Anyway, yeah I'm sorry for the initial comment and I appreciate the full-length reasoning you're actually giving.

Contrary to what you're saying, I actually thought that most of the comedy only ensued during Araragi's time with his sisters, and even then I felt that his conversation with Tsukihi was more than welcome (seeing as how we barely got to see much of her in Nise). Still in that regard, I thought this arc actually got serious pretty quickly and stayed that way all throughout (even with the minor comedic moments). Even with Black Hanekawa in lingerie, a lot of scenes came across as being more dangerous for Araragi than necessarily something playfully teasing, especially in comparison to Bake. With Hanekawa and Araragi's interactions, I tend to find that it's a lot less natural (a lot of their reactions seemed more like they just played along with whatever the other one was saying than necessarily having stuff come in naturally and casually). This feels especially true in comparison to Araragi's casual conversations with Senjougahara which feels more playfully self-aware than anything awkward.

Now regarding Hanekawa's parents, I find that it's actually far more complex than it comes across. Do realize she's been living there for a decade (apparently 10-15 years). For a whole decade she's been living with a family that are practically strangers to her, and she doesn't even have a room (looking up some sources just now to further clarify, apparently her bed is just in the middle of a hallway while her clothes are just hung around the place on walls). Apparently they barely even talk to each other at all, and it makes sense why she's so diligent in the way she acts. She's practically living with people that doesn't truly know her, know what to do with her or even want her. Now account that whole decade of alienation. Her talking back to her "father" and getting slapped definitely makes sense. It's definitely wrong, but account for the context of it all. She was a stranger to them just as much she views them to be. Now for me honestly, this in itself was already frightening (and the literal elaboration of how she lived in the house made it even worse) but what I enjoyed was the revelation of Hanekawa's character which foreshadows a certain development regarding her run as Black Hanekawa.

Hanekawa acts "normal" all the time. Being in a hard life like that is bad, but the fact that she doesn't even react normally (i.e. move out, fight back etc.) and acts very polite is something that was never shown before. Hanekawa was described as being so mechanical in her actions that it wasn't even natural anymore, acting as if she's living normally despite her circumstances. And this is all done as if it were routine for her. Recall what Oshino said regarding the incident where she was slapped by her dad. Instead of crying, or fighting back, or even talking back, she literally lectures them in a creepily polite manner. Not even in the way that you'd tell off a parent, but as if she was just calmly lecturing some random stranger DESPITE just being slapped across the room. Putting this into context, she's been like this for most of her life, in the way that her actions are dictated based on some twisted sense of self-righteousness. This isn't to say that she should be blamed, rather as Oshino points out, she's the "cause" of all of this (specifically removing the negative connotation "fault" since Oshino means it more in a neutral sense).

That unique mentality coupled with the built-up stress is why the Meddle Cat even lent her so much power and autonomy when it "possessed" her. It's revealed that she didn't even summon the Meddle Cat. Heck it's practically wrong to say that it "possessed" her anymore, as they both willingly worked and "merged" with each other, forming an entirely new abberration/oddity. Normally the Meddle Cat only really used its abilities to highlight the negative aspects of a person (remember that segment in which the legend speaks of a moral that a person is never truly possessed by the Meddle Cat, rather it was their negative qualities being highlighted by it, due to its nature of "cursing" others). Now the fact that Hanekawa was so robotic in the way she thinks, the Meddle Cat actually felt inclined to pitch in for her and kept Hanekawa's knowledge and autonomy intact, far beyond what it normally does for someone. She regained control of herself after the cat attacked her parents. From then on she absorbed the cat and used its power to relieve her stress with the cat actually allowing her to do all of this. I honestly enjoyed the final confrontation when it was revealed that Hanekawa could willingly switch between her own personality and the Meddle Cat. It certainly created an interesting contrast in that in Neko:Kuro she was purposely taking control to vent out her frustrations against others, while in Bake, she unintentionally hid herself to dodge the notion of confessing to Araragi, letting the Meddle Cat do all the work for her by literally embodying her stress (as opposed to taking it all on her own like in NekoKuro). In that regard, it's almost presented as a symbiotic relationship, with Hanekawa mainly being the one in control at all times, while the Meddle Cat only acts as a powerful yet sentient medium for her that allows her to act out what she truly feels (at least in NekoKuro anyway). In the end, as opposed to simply being the fault of "Hanekawa" or the "Meddle Cat", it was described as being the fault of "Black Hanekawa", the collective entity.

As for the love triangle, I honestly think it was mainly one-sided in regards to Hanekawa and Araragi. Even putting aside the lust aspect, I thought that Araragi only felt close towards Hanekawa mainly because he could understand her circumstances more than anyone else. To differentiate this from Hitagi, he didn't desire to have anything to do with Hanekawa at all (i.e. "sharing a life"), rather he felt inclined to make her understand herself and her circumstances because only he recognized it, and he felt bad for her denial of it all. This is definitely showcased when Araragi was able to passively say as if he "hated" her during the final confrontation in Neko:Kuro. While Hanekawa certainly replied with the same phrase, the one-sided nature of their relationship is further shown when Hanekawa she could easily say that she "hates" him and internally feels horrible towards herself for literally putting up the same casual mask she wears around everyone (her "polite" attitude) despite truly loving and wanting him to be her "hero". I personally liked the differentiation, it gave more depth and meaning towards Hanekawa's character while highlighting the reasons why Hitagi was truly the one that Araragi first and properly (as well as naturally) fell in love with.

I definitely adore this series, and I do understand why you're not so keen on the short arcs, but personally I like them in that they work well as one-off focus stories that contribute to the main narrative. The fact that the upcoming Zenmonogatari series is being regarded as the 2nd season of Bake is enough indication as to how Nise and NekoKuro are meant to be taken as well; in that they're complementary side arcs. Now in all fairness, I actually watched this in one fell swoop. No breaks, no cuts, I literally watched it as one copy, so the whole thing felt like a proper 2-hour long movie as opposed to a 4-episode arc (which I feel is more appropriate since it was aired that way with small breaks in the middle). I can barely even remember where some of the episodes cut due to the fact that I watched it continuously. In that regard, I felt that it definitely delivered as a 2-hour special that showcases a prequel arc and I felt that it actually did a lot more than one might usually expect from stuff like these (especially considering how serious it quickly turned into, for me at least).
ronriMar 15, 2014 10:37 AM
Mar 18, 2013 2:13 PM
Mar 2011
Venom900 said:

just think of neko as one arc to the whole. i believe every arc is 3-4 episodes. you cant really compare this arc to the 4 arcs in bake (or the 3 arcs in nise). if you must compare, it should be by arcs not by the series.

but i do agree that from bake to nise to neko, the fanservice have increased. i wish i could say you can just ignore it, because the dialogue and story is terrific, but the fanservice is terribly hard to miss.

heres to hoping the official season 2 would tone down on fanservice or not increase it anymore.
"....i am the villain in this story"
Mar 19, 2013 9:19 PM

Mar 2012
@ronri

Don't worry about the late comment, I haven't had the time to sit down and read anything for about a week now, have been way too busy lately

I believe after reading what you said that we both have interesting points, there are many points I probably wouldn't have thought of until someone told me as we all take things differently void the topic.

If I had a slightly different mindset I might have taken a lot more out of it, but that can't be helped...with all that's been shared I definately know I'll be taking a different approach to the next season, aswell as the movie thats the prequel to this one.

amginex said:
Venom900 said:

just think of neko as one arc to the whole. i believe every arc is 3-4 episodes. you cant really compare this arc to the 4 arcs in bake (or the 3 arcs in nise). if you must compare, it should be by arcs not by the series.

but i do agree that from bake to nise to neko, the fanservice have increased. i wish i could say you can just ignore it, because the dialogue and story is terrific, but the fanservice is terribly hard to miss.

heres to hoping the official season 2 would tone down on fanservice or not increase it anymore.

Yeah, I usually try to, I've never really liked shows that do prequel arcs that are short, some have been good, some have not .

Also I am very much hoping for a more intense, suspenseful and toned down fanservice season

Mar 20, 2013 4:22 PM

Dec 2010
Was better than Nise, not as good as Bake (no surprise there, really). Gonna rewatch sooner or later, but for now I guess I'll give it 8/10.
And damn that ending scene/preview! Makes me want to watch Bake again XD.
Seven years of power, the corporation claw
The rich control the government, the media, the law
To make some kind of difference
Then everyone must know:
Eradicate the fascists, revolution will grow...
Apr 10, 2013 11:36 PM

Jul 2012
Love the bamboo scene, and the music was a great addition to its' feel.
Feels like losing all five senses &
Maybe not able to have thoughts,

Enjoi...
Apr 16, 2013 6:01 PM

May 2012
i want more monogatari :o
cant wait for the new season

lol, and i love the scene where shinobu came to save the day :D
Apr 16, 2013 6:12 PM

Sep 2012
FrostMonarch said:
i want more monogatari :o
cant wait for the new season

lol, and i love the scene where shinobu came to save the day :D

I swear, Shinobu always saves the day! No one is badder than Shinobu! Not that I mind, her scenes are the best. People say Nisemonogatari isn't good but man, I love her episodes and scenes in Nisemonogatari! Donuts! Grown up Shinobu, wow! Just rewatched all of Nise and must redo Bake again too... and Neko... will keep watching them until...

Can't wait for Second Season and Kizumonogatari!
Apr 22, 2013 9:02 PM

Feb 2013
That was fucking rad! I'm so happy I found this series.
May 2, 2013 1:15 PM

Jan 2013
This was a very good anime - almost like a return to the style that bakemonogatari had. They kept continuity with what they animated previously and hinted/referred back to it which was nice. Honestly after watching this, it solidified my reason for liking Hanekawa so much from before.

It was great to see Oshino again! One of the coolest characters and his role as the "master" is really seen here through his carefree attitude while maintaining that Araragi wait on him to let him handle Black Hanekawa. Shinobu scenes were funny too.
Great anime. I hope they translate all of the light novels soon. They're on my to do list but frankly that list is pretty long so I have to make some time during the summer.

Monogatari second season summer 2013!! Glad I'm all caught up now

EDIT: So I finished reading Neko: Kuro. Obviously there were some things that had to be cut out but if you're a big fan of the series you should check it out. It's not that long either. The translation has nice notes but is in great need for editing. There are grammatical errors everywhere. Still worth reading. I hope they finish translating Bake soon. I really have no intention to read Nise however.
phantom19Aug 10, 2013 12:30 PM
-Nothing can stay unchanged. Even so, can you still keep on loving this place?

-Be still my soul; when change and tears are past, all safe and blessed we shall meet at last.
May 7, 2013 5:56 PM

Jun 2008
loved it!
May 7, 2013 6:01 PM

Jun 2008
Thoroughly enjoyable.

From start to finish, this instantly reminded me why I loved Bakemonogatari so much.

The dialogue in this anime is simply superb, one of the best, if not THE best in any anime.

And unlike Nisemonogatari, they didn't go overboard with the ecchi (And I LOVE ecchi, but in a series such as this, it is not the most important factor), I felt the ecchi at times overwhelmed Nisemonogatari and thus I didn't feel like it was as great as it could've been.

Either way, this had an excellent blend with all the aspects which makes this series so great.

10/10

Nekomonogatari just became my 19th 10/10 anime!

19 out of 400+ anime
May 13, 2013 8:58 AM
Aug 2011
I watched neko ep 4 before neko ep 3 :/
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Nekomonogatari: Kuro Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 31, 2012

125 by Matheus050 »»
Sep 25, 4:39 PM

Poll: » Nekomonogatari: Kuro Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 31, 2012

126 by Matheus050 »»
Sep 6, 12:30 PM

Poll: » Nekomonogatari: Kuro Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 31, 2012

156 by Matheus050 »»
Aug 29, 8:49 PM

» explain pls

Tauronek - Sep 6, 2017

5 by Rob7 »»
Nov 8, 2022 5:24 PM

» Why dosent this season get much atention?

CrotakuShinobi - Nov 6, 2015

34 by mr_modest »»
Jul 14, 2021 5:21 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.