Forum Settings
Forums

Director Motohiro Katsuyuki Omits Moe From Psycho-Pass Anime

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (9) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Oct 11, 2012 9:07 AM

Nov 2008
Psycho Pass confirmed for not selling well at all and trust me I'm ready for the disappointing numbers.

Although it won't mean it'll suck because it looks like an anime I would see in the 90's and pretty much looks to be dark and edgy.

Oct 11, 2012 9:14 AM

Jul 2010
I will sponsor it. Everyone who dares to even say they go against the current fashion of endless moe (though ecchi should be regarded along imo) gets my vote. I was planning on watching it anyway.

Oct 11, 2012 9:26 AM
Mar 2010

If I lived in Japan, I would just....just want to shake their hands and say 'OMG THANK YOU SO MUCH! FINALLY! OMG I LOVE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!'

With that out of the way, you know what? I want this series to sell really well. Just to prove moe isn't everything. It probably won't happen but if it did, there is still some hope out there.

Something that doesn't have to be otaku or fujoshi fest, but still sells.

Because really....if Psycho Pass is an amazing anime and it doesn't sell because of moe, call me what you will, say that anime is to make money, yea, I KNOW that, I would still be disappointed at Japan.
Check out the News Club for daily rankings, discussion on future CD and BD releases, manga and novels. New members are welcome!
Oct 11, 2012 9:39 AM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
Now I understand Madoka even better. It was a disguised slap in the face to moe from Urobochi.
Anyway, aren't the bishies enough for the female audience?

I'm level on MAL-Badges. View my badges.
Oct 11, 2012 9:42 AM

Feb 2009
PSYCHO-PASSU is pronounced just as PSYCHOPATH in Japanese. Just saying.
Oct 11, 2012 9:47 AM

Sep 2012
Tr1ckR said:
symbv said:

Quite many anime fans in Japan finds Ghost in the Shell quite moe though.

:/ really? what about it is moe? Ive watched anime and read discussions about people going on how moe some of the characters are in them, but i don't really see any of those types of characters in ghost in the shell. Then again im not too familiar with the definition of it lol

The question of whether GitS is moe is brought up in anime forums in Japan from time to time. There are always a bunch of opinions that it has its own moe part (of course there are also many fans who think it has little moe). Moe itself can be vague, particularly to foreigners not steeped in Japanese anime culture. If I have to define it in a rush, I think I would say it is "elements incorporated into the material in order to stimulate a certain feeling of affection and adorableness" and strange it may sound quite many fans find Kusanagi adorable and even cute. It may be her sexiness or her combat suit or her cold and quiet personality, or a combination of all these (and perhaps more). It is hard to say. But what I want to say is, moe fans can find things that they feel moe about, and there is the possibility that in the process of making the anime appealing to present-day anime fans moe elements are introduced, intentionally or unintentionally.

Just as an example, here is a web page named "Today's Moe pics - from Ghost in the Shell SAC"
http://animeinakon.blog87.fc2.com/blog-entry-2521.html

And I am not even using the broader definition of Moe that is sometimes used in Japan like Mecha-moe, Gun-moe or Military-moe.

And of course we know the manga is much clearer about its moe appeal than the anime.

Just to give an example of the seriousness this kind of moe discussion can go in Japan. Here is a pop-culture pundit who wrote a long article to explain how the moe in GitS SAC is different from the moe in other GitS anime titles (with a pretty extensive discussion of what Moe means and should be understood). I am not in a mood to translate but suffice to say that in his opinion the Tachikoma (Think Tank) is the most Moe element in the anime and it alone perhaps makes SAC the most moe anime in GitS series.
http://uminekozawa.com/2011/03/%E7%95%B0%E5%BD%A2%E3%81%AE%E6%84%9B%EF%BD%9E%E6%94%BB%E6%AE%BB%E6%A9%9F%E5%8B%95%E9%9A%8As-a-c%E3%81%A8%E8%90%8C%E3%81%88%EF%BD%9E/
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Oct 11, 2012 9:50 AM

Apr 2010
The hype just keeps getting bigger. At this rate a lot of people are going to end up extremely disappointed.
(◕ᴥ◕し)
Hello! Did you know? Barnacles have the largest penis to body size ratio of the animal kingdom.
Oct 11, 2012 9:55 AM

May 2011
These guys are awesome.
Oct 11, 2012 9:55 AM

Apr 2011
My body,soul, mind, everything is ready for this :D
(Hope that is good or else...)
Oct 11, 2012 9:59 AM

Jun 2009
awesome it miight be good or it will fail
Oct 11, 2012 10:01 AM

Apr 2010
Urobuchi confirms himself to be one hell of a guy in this industry. I respect him for his ideas, Fate/Zero and Madoka were great. I have faith in Psycho Pass.
Oct 11, 2012 10:05 AM

Feb 2009
dtshyk said:
Urobuchi said Motohiro protects him from noitamina producer's demands to add appealing elements for female audience.

Should have thought of that before they got a seiyuu cast that you'd normally see in BLCDs and character designs by Amano Akira.

Not that we need any more homo now that K and Zetsuen no Tempest are airing tbh.
Oct 11, 2012 10:05 AM

Aug 2011
Yeeaaaahhh! Now I'm looking forward to this even more. Motohiro is a boss. Urobuchi GOGOGO!

Tenchio said:
"Urobuchi said Motohiro protects him from noitamina producer's demands to add appealing elements for female audience."

So no shitty BL innuendo either? Psycho Pass = confirmed for AotY.
Hell yeah.

Progeusz said:
Madoka was yuri, Psycho-Pass will be yaoi.
No.
Oct 11, 2012 10:06 AM

Sep 2012
jmal said:
phoenixalia said:
Because really....if Psycho Pass is an amazing anime and it doesn't sell because of moe, call me what you will, say that anime is to make money, yea, I KNOW that, I would still be disappointed at Japan.

Kinda thought you at least would be able to see that this is just a marketing stunt, devoid of any real meaning.

Actually I have to agree with jmal. Of the few people whom I remember the name in the brief time I spent in MAL I would have thought that phoenixalia would have looked at it a bit differently from most others. Anyway....

I just want to post to say that jmal got it absolutely correct about the use of Shoujo-Ai in Japan. If you look at the Japanese wiki entry for Shoujo-Ai 少女愛, it is defined as (translation) "A love feeling towards young (underaged) girls that may involve a strong sexual interest but it can be physical/carnal or mental/Platonic". The Urban Dictionary of girllove seems to be very close to this too. "The strong and sometimes overwhelming tendency to be(come) attracted to young girls, both with males and females. This can relate to the desire to love a girl physically, sexually, or in a more Platonic sense, through reading or writing poetry etc." Nonetheless, the Japanese wiki entry also stresses that it is now often used in Japan to mean the same thing as Lolicon.

It is only in a sub-section of the Japanese wiki entry of Shoujo-Ai that refers to another (much less common and popular) use of the term Shoujo-Ai to mean Lesbian Love.

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Oct 11, 2012 10:17 AM

Dec 2011
dtshyk said:

Urobuchi said this anime has cruel scenes both physically and mentally.

When Urobuchi says something like that, you know it's serious.
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Oct 11, 2012 10:18 AM

Nov 2007
This is the funniest shit I've read all week. This anime is going to be 2edgy&mature4me.
Oct 11, 2012 10:19 AM

Aug 2010
So dark and edgie! Kool. /sarcasm.

We'll see what they manage to make.
Oct 11, 2012 10:21 AM

Jun 2008
xx_mirai said:
Not that we need any more homo now that K and Zetsuen no Tempest are airing tbh.

...Because any anime has BL as long as there are two or more male characters?
Oct 11, 2012 10:26 AM

Feb 2009
jmal said:
xx_mirai said:
Should have thought of that before they got a seiyuu cast that you'd normally see in BLCDs and character designs by Amano Akira.

It's called targeted messaging.

[...]

To the type of fans who love popular male seiyuu and will be interested in the series based on voice cast alone, cast a lot of, well, popular male seiyuu and give their characters attractive designs.

[...]

My point is that the writer forbade the writer from adding any "appealing elements for female audience", despite the fact that the show already has them. Maybe I'm just really tired but it feels really counter-intuitive.

Also, whether it's moe or not and whether it's gay or not, the fanbase will see whatever they want to see.
Oct 11, 2012 10:28 AM

Feb 2009
Face_Faith said:
xx_mirai said:

According to the fanbase of said shows? Yes.
Oct 11, 2012 10:36 AM

Feb 2012
i would like to say that i'm cautiously optimistic about this. but as a GITS fanboy, its hard to keep my expectations down xD
if you disagree with what i say, feel free to comment on my profile. in all likelihood, i won't come back to this thread.

Oct 11, 2012 10:42 AM

Jul 2010
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2012-10-11/psycho-pass-chief-director/word-moe-is-banned-among-staff

Bayside Shakedown's Katsuyuki Motohiro: They want to counter current anime trends

Shueisha's Weekly Playboy News website posted an interview with chief director Katsuyuki Motohiro (Space Travelers, live-action Night Head, live-action Antique Bakery, Bayside Shakedown) and series script editor Gen Urobuchi (Puella Magi Madoka Magica, Fate/Zero) on Thursday, the day that their Psycho-Pass anime collaboration premieres.

Motohiro revealed that he prohibited the word "moe" when they were in meetings about the anime. He explained that they intended to counter the current anime trends. As a result, he said with a laugh that this work can only be a "strikeout or a home run," with nothing in between.

Motohiro also acknowledged that the staff has a very masculine mindset and their meetings were full of talk about weapons and movies. He joked that their mindset is similar to Weekly Playboy magazine itself. He also noted that producers warned that if certain elements were not incorporated into Psycho-Pass, female viewers will not watch, but Urobuchi said that Motohiro protected the creators to make whatever they wished.

Motohiro said that he has been wanting to making anime for a while, but needed a charismatic scriptwriter. So, he made an offer to Urobuchi to join the project, about when Puella Magi Madoka Magica was airing (January-April 2011). People around Motohiro were saying that Madoka Magica exceeded Evangelion, so he watched the anime himself. He said he was amazed that there was a person who could write such a work. He then read Urobuchi's novels and writings and became convinced that absolutely fascinating works could be made when Urobuchi's way of thinking is put onscreen.

The interviewer noted that Motohiro has a son in sixth grade, and asked him if he wanted to show Psycho-Pass to his son. Motohiro acknowledged that the anime might be too much for his son, and Urobuchi added that it is heavy on psychological brutality. Motohiro observed that he watched the first Lupin III series with wonder when he was in elementary school, and joked that he wanted to give his son and today's youth trauma that will last their entire lives when they watched this anime.

When asked if he would like to delve into live-action now that he worked with Motohiro, Urobuchi said that anime lets him make characters without considering how an actor might perform it. He noted that his father had done stage plays, so he would appreciate the importance of actors if he were to go into live-action.

Motohiro added that actors contribute ideas — citing actor Yuji Oda for coming up with his character's signature military jacket and red necktie for the Bayside Shakedown franchise. However, Motohiro then noted that an anime screenwriter is not alone in creating characters, since animators and the voice cast turn it into a collaborative process. He then said he wants Urobuchi to do live-action, and even invited him to do so when they first met. Urobuchi mused that he would like to take on the challenge someday.

Psycho-Pass takes place in the near future, when it is possible to instantaneously measure and quantify a person's state of mind and personality. This information is recorded and processed, and the term "Psycho-Pass" in the anime's title refers to a standard used to measure an individual's being. The story centers around the "enforcement officer" Shinya Kōgami (Tomokazu Seki) who is tasked with managing crime in such a world.
Simplistic beauty can't be appreciated by someone who looks for something grand in everything he watch.
Oct 11, 2012 10:48 AM

Sep 2012
jmal said:
So say "we won't put in anything appealing to females" in one breath while the guy next to you is designing an attractive male character with a superstar male seiyuu in the role.

In fact, they are not even saying "we won't put in anything appealing to females" The initial post of this thread is a bit misleading in my opinion. It said "Urobuchi said Motohiro protects him from noitamina producer's demands to add appealing elements for female audience." but what was actually said is just this:

本広 プロデューサーは「こういう要素を入れないと女性に観てもらえない」みたいなことを必ず言いますよ? でも、それに対して僕はクリエイターの意思を尊重すべく、日々闘っています(笑)。

(after a couple of exchanges about how "manly" this anime is)
Motohiro - You know producers can always say things like "Women will not watch it if such and such elements are not put in", right? But I thought that I should respect the intentions of the creator and so I did battle every day (lol).
(then Urobuchi just skipped to talk about how things they put in there randomly are free for interpretation by audience)

First, Urobuchi did NOT say Motohiro protected him.

Second, it is not as if the anime itself has no female appealing elements. It is just that certain elements that the producers specifically wanted to add to appeal to the female audience were not added (or only added to a small extent) because of Motohiro's help.

Third, Urobuchi may have put in female-appealing elements in the story which the producer also approved. It is just some female appealing elements which the producer wanted but Urobuchi did not write that Motohiro talked about in the interview.
symbvOct 11, 2012 11:11 AM

Oct 11, 2012 10:48 AM
Mar 2012
Somebody tell me if this is going to be a yaoi, because fuck yaoi
Oct 11, 2012 10:53 AM

Feb 2009
jmal said:
It's only counter-intuitive if you take it totally at face value, not as the marketing it actually is.

Then I'm just really tired.

Now let's just hope that after all this has been said, the anime is actually worth watching.
Oct 11, 2012 11:19 AM
Sep 2012
Protip: Banning the word "moe" from the office = "we're not AIMING for moe," not "this show isn't going to have any moe."

You can't predict what will be moe for people. (Like, for example, fans who think GitS is moe. They're not "wrong," but neither is it what the creators intended.)

I approve of anyone who says they're trying not to take the easy way out, regardless of the results. (And I, for one, dug the first episode.)
Oct 11, 2012 11:35 AM

Sep 2011
That much was obvious given the nature of this anime but cool 'news' I guess.
Oct 11, 2012 11:36 AM

Jun 2010
Wow, awesome news. Not hating on moe but Im glad someone still thinks like this and care for the industry.
Oct 11, 2012 11:44 AM

Jul 2010
-MgZ_ said:
Im glad someone still thinks like this and care for the industry.

which actually showed that others here don't care for that fact which is a big shame really
anime had become a big blunder lately
Simplistic beauty can't be appreciated by someone who looks for something grand in everything he watch.
Oct 11, 2012 12:19 PM
Jul 2008
This is stupid. Lots of shows don't have moe as one of its elements, there's no need to announce it like "Oh look, this show is totally NOT moe, look at the blood and mindfucks". I wasn't too interested in this anyway since the preimse didn't seem too attractive, but I'll still watch it anyway... Hope it has LOTS of non-moe in it or I'm going to be angry.
Oct 11, 2012 12:22 PM

Feb 2012
Anime of the year. That's right i called it. Kill the heroine then you got Anime of the decade, cause let's be honest, it's only gonna get worst from here.
Oct 11, 2012 12:41 PM

Oct 2007
first episode impression

Updated.
ProgeuszOct 11, 2012 12:58 PM
Oct 11, 2012 12:45 PM

Dec 2008
'Motohiro joked that he wanted kids audience to have a trauma for life by watching this anime."

Its funny because tomorrow is Children's Day and the day of the premiere.
Oh... and Madoka not finished on Good Friday? I SEE WHAT YOU DID UROBUCHI
Oct 11, 2012 12:50 PM

Sep 2012
ChrnoTodd said:
'Motohiro joked that he wanted kids audience to have a trauma for life by watching this anime."

Seems the article does not fully convey the context. Just before Motohiro said that, he described how he also got his own "trauma" by watching the very first season of Lupin III when he was a primary school kid. So he kind of qualify what "trauma" he was talking about.

Oct 11, 2012 1:01 PM

Oct 2007
ChrnoTodd said:

Its funny because tomorrow is Children's Day and the day of the premiere.
Oh... and Madoka not finished on Good Friday? I SEE WHAT YOU DID UROBUCHI
Fate/Zero spoiler
Oct 11, 2012 1:02 PM

Feb 2010
dtshyk said:

Urobuchi said this anime has cruel scenes both physically and mentally. Motohiro joked that he wanted kids audience to have a trauma for life by watching this anime.

Looking forward to it!
I probably regret this post by now.
Oct 11, 2012 1:06 PM
Apr 2010
urobuchi anime is pretty good if you're 12 and edgy
The legal age of consent in Japan is 13, so shota is totally legal in Japan. In some western countries shota might be considered child porn.
Oct 11, 2012 1:07 PM

Apr 2010
AmberFebruary said:
-MgZ_ said:
Im glad someone still thinks like this and care for the industry.

which actually showed that others here don't care for that fact which is a big shame really
anime had become a big blunder lately

So because you have little interest in edgy Western oriented anime, you don't care about the industry? lol

Oct 11, 2012 1:14 PM

Jun 2012
Neat
Oct 11, 2012 1:20 PM

Oct 2011
dtshyk said:

Urobuchi said this anime has cruel scenes both physically and mentally. Motohiro joked that he wanted kids audience to have a trauma for life by watching this anime.

This makes me want to watch it even more
Oct 11, 2012 1:34 PM

Jul 2012
so a fully hardcore action show moe or not im still watching it.
Oct 11, 2012 1:38 PM

Mar 2010
xx_mirai said:
Face_Faith said:
xx_mirai said:

According to the fanbase of said shows? Yes.
What about the current airing anime - Magi?

Since Kurobas ended, Fujoshi are moving to the Magi fanbase.
Oct 11, 2012 1:50 PM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
LOL this thread. What happened? Now GiTS is moe? Yeah, as much as Shigurui.

I'm level on MAL-Badges. View my badges.
Oct 11, 2012 1:55 PM

Mar 2012
dtshyk said:

Gg.

"Have you ever encounter a wild beast that guarantees to never bite anyone?" ~ Roronoa Zoro
Oct 11, 2012 1:55 PM
Apr 2009
Doing something away from current trend doesn't make it automatically "great".

I have faith since it is the same guy who wrote Fate/Zero.

I'll just have to watch it later. My hopes are kind of down due to K sucking.
Oct 11, 2012 1:59 PM

Sep 2012
BatoKusanagi said:
LOL this thread. What happened? Now GiTS is moe? Yeah, as much as Shigurui.

I guess you don't know Shigurui was once voted THE MOST MOE ANIME in 2ch...and it is called a Wabi Sabi Moe Anime.

Anyway, regarding a more mainstream view of what makes certain elements Moe, I would say that there are more fans who find Major or Tachikoma truly adorable to find them moe.

Oct 11, 2012 2:00 PM

Aug 2009
"he wanted kids audience to have a trauma for life by watching this anime"

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL
Oct 11, 2012 2:09 PM

Sep 2011
Lol was anyone here even expecting moe from this show with a cast like that?

dtshyk said:
Urobuchi said Motohiro protects him from noitamina producer's demands to add appealing elements for female audience.

Oh, none of that shit too? i'm watching this.
I love you Motohiro and Urobuchi, don't do that shit.
Oct 11, 2012 2:15 PM

Aug 2008
This is such a lie. Akane is moe as hell. :3
Oct 11, 2012 2:15 PM

Oct 2007
@Downgrade355, don't be disappointed but first three minutes:
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (9) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Manga 'Ranma ½' Gets New Anime Adaptation ( 1 2 )

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

70 by VivaceRex »»
2 hours ago

» 'Tokidoki Bosotto Russia-go de Dereru Tonari no Alya-san' Reveals Additional Staff, Second Promo

Hyperion_PS - 11 hours ago

3 by MalchikRepaid »»
3 hours ago

» 'Unnamed Memory' Gets Second Season in Winter 2025

Nioxys - Yesterday

13 by NewestPersonHere »»
5 hours ago

» Manga 'Boku no Hero Academia' Ends in Five Chapters

DatRandomDude - Jun 24

32 by Fabris »»
6 hours ago

» Light Novel 'Isekai Mokushiroku Mynoghra' Gets TV Anime

Nioxys - Jun 23

7 by Fabris »»
6 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.