Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Oct 7, 2012 2:23 PM

Feb 2008
No idea how the manga is but I quite liked this episode. It's certainly different, and different is something I can appreciate considering how generic most titles these days are. Haven't seen a proper adventure anime in a while now.
Oct 7, 2012 2:24 PM

Jun 2011
Well Aladdin was a lot more perverse than I was expecting...and his voice...lol

Oh well, I liked this episode

First impressions: 6.8/10

May 2011
Love the OP, though I need to get used Aladdin voice there.

I'll stick into this.

Sep 2010
Loved this.

lol Aladin playing with that one guys man breasts. Also laughed at the part where Alibaba got a huge ugly chick and she smooched oh him. xD
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
Oct 7, 2012 2:28 PM

Feb 2010
i'm not suprised they made changes for the anime to be honest i think the first 10-20 chapter of the manga are pretty average and the quality becomes mutch better after 30-40 chapter + the OP is full with character we shouldn't see for at least 10-15 ep if they follow the manga 1:1.
Oct 7, 2012 2:34 PM
Sep 2011
First episode is quite interesting, I might follow as well.

Veronin said:
No idea how the manga is but I quite liked this episode. It's certainly different, and different is something I can appreciate considering how generic most titles these days are. Haven't seen a proper adventure anime in a while now.

*sigh, people, stop comparing anime this, anime that and enjoy the show for its own merits will you?

considering generic most tiles these days

pffttttttttt, you sound like you know everything. What a badass you are eh? This one is too mediocre, that one is worst than this one, etc ... pain in the ass when I see comments like this.
Oct 7, 2012 2:38 PM

Sep 2008
I really liked it. Alibaba was a really relatable character for me. When there was the moment towards the end. Won't somebody save her? The moment just kept stretching on and on. It seemed like an eternity. I kept waiting for Aladdin to step in and save the day, but then we flash to him just watching impassively. Then suddenly, no, not just somebody and Alibaba sets out to do himself what he knows is right and it's like Holy Fucking Shit! So awesome!

He was so tired of his way of living life. Of all the regrets. And Aladdin. "Tell me more of the things which cannot be bought with money and wine." and like shit. I'm in. I want to follow these people on their journey. I want to see what cannot be bought with money and wine.

Really solid first episode. Excited to see the rest of this series.
Oct 7, 2012 2:38 PM

Mar 2012
This was a great, highly enjoyable episode. Since I'm not exactly aware of how much it deviates from the source material, I thought the manner in which the characters were introduced and how the setting was developed was excellent and very effective in building intrigue. I love the purely adventurous feel this has.

The story is very interesting so far, and the Arabian setting is fantastic. Aladdin was great throughout, particularly in his comedic moments, such as when he was eating the watermelon or whenever he began fondling breasts, which happened quite often. As such, the humor, for the most part, worked well, save for a few moments, but this is hardly a significant criticism. I'm really looking forward to see how the characters develop. Alibaba is likely my favorite character at this point, as he provides an occasionally contrasting personality to Aladdin's usually comedic self, and I thought Kaji Yuki, a VA I don't particularly like much of the time, did a terrific job voicing him.

The few moments of action were suitably exciting and very well animated. As such, my favorite scene was the final one, as Alibaba and Aladdin, with the assistance of Ugo, rescue Morgiana and the little girl from being eaten by the hyacinth. This entire sequence was extremely enjoyable, and the large scale was impressively portrayed.

The production values are superb, particularly the animation, highlighted especially during the final hyacinth sequence. Sagisu's music was probably the best technical element of the show, as it illuminates the atmosphere necessary to evoke a familiarity with the unique setting. The direction was solid, though slightly lessened by the inconsistent pacing, although developments flowed much more fluidly in the latter half. I really liked the lighthearted tone that was used throughout the introductory episode, since, I'm sure, that will dissipate a bit as the story develops. As for the character designs, they were decent, but largely unremarkable.

The OP is really good, particularly the accompanying visuals. However, the ED song, by comparison, was terrible and rather jarring, since it doesn't really mesh with the tone of the show.

All in all, Magi is thoroughly impressive and very promising so far, as it combines an engaging narrative with an excellent setting and likable characters, thus creating a rather satisfying mixture. The preview looks quite interesting, as I assume it begins the first dungeon arc, and hopefully brings Morgiana into the group.
Oct 7, 2012 2:43 PM

Mar 2008
Kinda disappointed that they cut out the yuri couple, Leila and Salsa. Though I guess it was for the best so they can finish animating the dungeon capturing arc faster and get to Aladdin and Cassim's story.
Oct 7, 2012 2:56 PM

Sep 2012
ownosourus said:
I enjoyed this episode. Though it made me wonder, where the hell is the jinns head?

It's still inside the flute. If you look at the scene where his full body comes out to fight the plant thing, you can see the flute sticking out of the top of his body lol.

Oh, you can see it more clearly when Aladdin and Alibaba are riding on him at the end.
Oct 7, 2012 2:58 PM

Nov 2006
aimedamiss said:
Am I the only one who thought the Nogizaka ED was completely out of place?
Definitely not. I kind of cringed when it came on, but maybe it'll be better with the ED animation...
Oct 7, 2012 2:59 PM

Feb 2010
Decent first ep. Looking forward to Aladdin's adventures.... He certainly loves breasts, doesn't he?? Lol

...who doesn't? Lol
Oct 7, 2012 3:19 PM

Aug 2011
LOVED IT!!! Great first episode and I also loved the opening. It seems like this is gonna have a good cast of enjoyable and entertaining characters. I also love the art style.
Oct 7, 2012 3:21 PM

Oct 2011
OK first episode. Changed some stuff that would've been better unchanged. But the anime seems rpomising, 7/10 so far

3/5 for this episode
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 7, 2012 3:32 PM

Nov 2011
Great start. Still unclear where it's headed, but will be following long enough to find out. The Arabian Nights theme is a nice change, something I haven't seen for a while.
Oct 7, 2012 3:39 PM

Dec 2010
Awesome first episode; they skipped the intro to the manga (which imo is a good thing) and changed the ordering among other little details but for the most part it followed the manga. Aladdins VA may take some getting use to but the animation was really great; can't wait to see more :D
Oct 7, 2012 3:50 PM

Aug 2011
Actually looks kind of interesting for a shounen. Curious concept. Though I'm not entirely sure I have any desire to follow it. I'll give it another episode or two at least.

The fuck's up with an 8-year-old kid and boobs? Retarded.

Even though Yuki Kaji voiced the infamous Shu and Fatass, I'm pretty fond of his voice.
Oct 7, 2012 3:50 PM

May 2009
I enjoyed this first episode a lot. This looks like it could be plenty of fun. I like the setting, and music composed by Sagisu Shiro is a plus. SID doing the OP was a pleasant surprise as well.
Oct 7, 2012 3:54 PM

Apr 2008
I thought the pacing was a little weird, but that might be because I had the manga in mind. (or so I hope)
On the other hand, I was glad they skipped the first chapter of the manga with the girls. That story was not very good and it would be even worse as an introductory anime episode.

Anyway, it was good to see the characters animated and in color~ I really want for this anime to turn out good. The manga is delightful.
Oct 7, 2012 4:02 PM

Jun 2012
Decent so far other than pacing I guess. I hope it doesn't deviate too far from the manga.
‎"Our everyday lives may, in fact, be a series of miracles." - Nichijou
Oct 7, 2012 4:18 PM

Dec 2007
Arabic One Piece. I'm fucking sold. Gotta read the manga someday, it's on my plan to read for quite a while now. Perhaps I'll read it when the anime ends. Don't care for changes in adaptation as I'm gonna watch and read both and enjoy their story to the max.
Oct 7, 2012 4:32 PM

Jul 2007
DraconisMarch said:
Actually looks kind of interesting for a shounen. Curious concept. Though I'm not entirely sure I have any desire to follow it. I'll give it another episode or two at least.

The fuck's up with an 8-year-old kid and boobs? Retarded.

Even though Yuki Kaji voiced the infamous Shu and Fatass, I'm pretty fond of his voice.

10 years old.
Need to make new sig. Soon. Maybe.
Oct 7, 2012 4:34 PM

Aug 2011
Alwerien said:
10 years old.
WHATEVER.
Oct 7, 2012 4:42 PM

Mar 2011
Although there are some changes, I don't mind. But I like the manga version more. Slower and better.
Great animation, great voice acting and great bgm. But Aladdin voice was just a bit too feminine in the beginning.
I love that OP and the ED is not bas as I thought
Definitely a great beginning
Elizabeth's voice lol
Oct 7, 2012 4:47 PM

Jul 2012
Great start for the anime adaption. What I really liked was my favorite seiyuu, Yuki Kaji, being part of the main cast. I'll continue watching this as it satisfied me and maybe I'll read the manga too. Hope Morgiana joins them later on too.
Oct 7, 2012 4:49 PM
Jun 2011
here the next episode titles:
episode 2: Dungeon Suite
episode 3:The World Creation Magician
episode 4:The People of the Plains
episode 5:Dungeon Capturer

by this episode titles i worried they will do very fast paced
Oct 7, 2012 4:49 PM

Feb 2010
Even though a lot was changed from the beginning of the manga and the pacing is really fast, I enjoyed this start a lot. The background music was wonderful and the animation and voice acting was good (I loved Elizabeth's voice!). The only thing I disliked was the ending song, it felt really out of place, maybe with the actual ending animation the feel with be different?
So far so good...
Oct 7, 2012 4:51 PM

Aug 2008
thx god, Kaji Yuuki isn't annoying here, but as someone else pointed, his voice sound too much like Miyano Mamoru.
I like Aladin, he's so damn cute!

Oct 7, 2012 4:57 PM

Aug 2009
The char designs are so terrible... animation is decent enough, but why do all the chars looks so deformed? Also considering this is the Middle East why are there only white ppl... makes no dam sense. Music was okay, but idk I feel like A-1 pictures is really slacking on this, but what do you expect when your airing frikin 4 anime at once? Do these guys have unlimited resources and staff or something? Oh and Alladins voice sounds dumb... and he has a chest wrap too... so is he actually a girl? Why does he have a girl voice and why is he so dam moe? You don't need to turn everything moe in order for it to sell! idk this anime just seems like its trying too hard. Oh and ed was terrible, op wasn't bad but still felt kind of out of place.
LoneWolfOct 7, 2012 5:03 PM

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Oct 7, 2012 5:10 PM

Dec 2009
Definitely the best so far. <3333333333333
Oct 7, 2012 5:20 PM

Jun 2008
GintokiSan said:
Wasn't expecting Aladdin's voice to be so.... feminine.

It's probably done the same why a lot of young boys are, with a female VA.
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?

Oct 7, 2012 5:28 PM

Dec 2010
elior1 said:
here the next episode titles:
episode 2: Dungeon Suite
episode 3:The World Creation Magician
episode 4:The People of the Plains
episode 5:Dungeon Capturer

by this episode titles i worried they will do very fast paced

I have no problem with it, after all as long as they animate the Balbadd arc well this anime should be a success, its easily the best arc in the manga as of now. Besides some chapters can be skipped, just like the intro chapter was. There is no consequence to skipping a chapter like that. It has almost no relevance to the plot either.
Oct 7, 2012 5:31 PM

Jan 2011
quite good just love the setting don't get many series in this timeline no surprise his name is Aladdin lol but man is he a little prev would had been better if he had less of a feminine voice could have just given the work to Kaji Yuki since hes already doing Alibaba and get someone else :P.
Oct 7, 2012 5:36 PM
Feb 2012
bottosai-01 said:
Why does he have a girl voice and why is he so dam moe? You don't need to turn everything moe in order for it to sell! idk this anime just seems like its trying too hard.

Not all young boys can look like this.

I agree about the girly voice.
Oct 7, 2012 5:43 PM

May 2012
Wow.. it was super good.. totally love Aladdin!!!!! He is so cute.. and for me it started pretty good! Totally awesome :)
Oct 7, 2012 6:19 PM

Nov 2011
Kerozinn said:
very good first episode. nice fluid animation and very nice artstyle. loved it !

This reminds me one of Edward Elric's wtf moments from FMA.
Oct 7, 2012 6:41 PM

Feb 2009
I'm a fan. Very likable characters, interesting setting, and the plot has a lot of potential.

Another contender for fav first episode of the season. Good job A-1!
Oct 7, 2012 6:47 PM

Feb 2010
Alright episode. Even though they changed things slightly, it's a decent adaptation so far.

Aladdin's voice was a bit too feminine imo, though there was a moment or two where his voice sound almost perfect to my ears. Hopefully he'll sound less feminine in the later episodes. As for Alibaba, maybe it's just me but I always imagine him with a slightly less deeper voice. But still, Kaji Yuki did a good job with him.

Mor is perfect <3 Though, as much as I adore her, I have mixed feelings about her showing up in the desert hyacinth scene.

OP was catchy, though it didn't exactly fit the Magi feel that I was looking for. Not too fond of ED either.
But the background music is wonderful and nice. Can't wait to hear more!

Lastly, I couldn't help but chuckle quite a lot at the Elizabeth scene:
1. THAT MUSIC
2. It was quite amusing hearing her with a rather feminine voice considering how I always imagined her speaking in a very manly voice xDD

3-3.5/5 for now.
Oct 7, 2012 7:04 PM

Mar 2012
Wow this series is a lot better than I expected. I hope it keeps getting better.
Oct 7, 2012 7:21 PM

Mar 2010
was okay i guess.
Oct 7, 2012 7:26 PM

Oct 2011
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh~
This was bettter than I thought!
So cute!
I will continue this!~
Oct 7, 2012 7:40 PM

Sep 2011
Loved it. Aladdin is just so :DDDDD. Can't wait to see Dungeon next episode!
Oct 7, 2012 7:56 PM
Aug 2011
Looks like I will like this series a lot.....
Oct 7, 2012 8:04 PM
Jul 2012
This was an okay first episode but even for a first one they could had did a lot more to encite us to look forward for the next episode. This doesn't suck so far and it's premise has potential, heard the manga was legit, but idk A-1 pictures is a pretty damn horrible studio. It shoulda had some kind of distinct "feel" or atmosphere because of the setting but this kinda felt like SAO in a different world minus the retardedness, basically. This could turn a potentially great series into just being average, I got a bad feeling about this.
Oct 7, 2012 8:21 PM

May 2011
Aladdin's voice was fun. I thought I recognized his VN but it seems not. Kaori Ishihara doesn't voice that much. Back to Alladin though, I do miss the manga faces which add to the comedy but I'm just happy that the anime was even made. I love the OP too SID<3, too bad the single isn't released yet. I want to see
Oct 7, 2012 8:23 PM

Jan 2008
Tentacle montsuh.

Overall, it was kinda bland for me.
Oct 7, 2012 8:27 PM

Feb 2011
Definitely living up to what I expected it to be and better! I was greatly anticipating the airing of the first episode and now I am dying to watch more already. I actually think this might become my all time favorite anime; seems promising.

Now to go and read some more of the manga. <3
Oct 7, 2012 8:27 PM

Nov 2007
Wow..this episode was super interesting. This one's a keeper.

#Feitoism @ irc.rizon.net - the official IRC channel for Fate Testarossa.
Oct 7, 2012 8:34 PM

Oct 2012
OMG I WAS EXPECTED THIS SERIES WOULD BE SO GOOD AND THEN IT WAS AWESOME BEYOND ANYTHING..
boobs boobs. everywhere. definitely love ali baba so much, kajikaji's voice suit with ali baba

Tarextherex said:
This was an okay first episode but even for a first one they could had did a lot more to encite us to look forward for the next episode. This doesn't suck so far and it's premise has potential, heard the manga was legit, but idk A-1 pictures is a pretty damn horrible studio. It shoulda had some kind of distinct "feel" or atmosphere because of the setting but this kinda felt like SAO in a different world minus the retardedness, basically. This could turn a potentially great series into just being average, I got a bad feeling about this.

yes, and that's why i hate the fact that haruka tomatsu a.k.a asuna's seiyuu participate in this anime, its kinda suck for me because i don't like her. A-1 should prove to us to do not make anything wrong with Magi or try to exploit the girls for sale the anime.
Oct 7, 2012 8:49 PM

Apr 2011
Didn't really expect anything going into this, and man I really really liked it! I think I've said something along these lines for every fall show thus far LOL.

I found the animation to be really really nice and smooth and I dunno, I really liked it.

OP was awesome as well. I'm hooked, can't wait for more. Solid first episode for sure.
Pages (7) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Magi Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 21, 2012

181 by bubba460z »»
Jul 21, 1:05 AM

Poll: » Magi Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Dec 9, 2012

202 by Konatose »»
May 31, 6:58 PM

Poll: » Magi Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 2, 2012

113 by Konatose »»
May 31, 6:09 PM

Poll: » Magi Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 25, 2012

119 by Konatose »»
May 31, 5:40 PM

Poll: » Magi Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Nov 18, 2012

189 by Konatose »»
May 31, 5:39 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.