Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (13) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 » ... Last »
May 4, 2012 9:50 PM

Mar 2011
I have a feeling Oberstein orchestrated his own death so he would die before Reinhard, because he didn't want to witness His Majesty's death.

Maybe I'm just speculating too much.

All in all, I thought this was a beautiful series and I'm sad that the experience is over.

I salute the fallen.

10/10
May 13, 2012 2:01 AM

Feb 2012
A good, satisfying ending. The last few episodes returned to the good quality of the third season. I'm not sure what to write now, mainly because MAL is mostly a site in which people gather to talk about how awesome every anime is.

Still, I didn't think this was a masterpiece. I gave it a solid 8. Individually the seasons would have been (in order) 7/10, 8/10, 9/10 and 7/10. So there was a clear improvement until season three but the show did lose some of its direction after Yang's death. But if I evaluated every season individually there are many shows that I would have rated more harshly. So here are my major complaints:

1) Seabury said in his review that the characters were flat but complex. He said there's no character development. I might not agree on that, but otherwise that's a good description. I understand it like this: the characters were complex because they have often several motives for their actions, and they can be analysed even to be unaware of some of them. But they are also flat because we see no character displaying the full range of emotions. This is very common in epics and you could same about Iliad, Odyssey, Aeneid etc (which have other structural flaws too, I think those are masterpieces more because of the time they were written than because they'd be perfect). The very reason why many of these people seem larger than life is that their emotions are so limited. As a result, I never once forgot that I was watching a tv show, and thus there was no emotional investment on my part. Obviously others were able to do that since they were able to cry. There were some scenes that were particularly memorable because for once the characters seem human in their emotions: two examples are Reinhard's proposal and Poplan's drunken despair after Yang's death. But generally when it comes to despair, fear etc., those are shown only in very minor characters about to die.

2) Another big flaw was that *gasp* the series was indeed boring at times. Usually when someone says that, people immediately become defensive and claim "You're just not intelligent enough" as if ad hominem arguments proved their own intelligence. The best parts of the show were the ones exploring political philosophy which is why Yang's loss was such a devastating blow. But the series dragged in other ways. Most importantly, many situations were repeated over and over again in different variations. The narrator keeps assuring us that it's worth watching the series because now that a cease fire/peace/total conquest etc. was achieved, the next tragedy would come soon. And it was either a terrorist attack or a rebellion. This was repeated several times through the series. And some of these were quite contrived (I'll get to that soon). Also, in season two I felt for a long time that only every other episode advanced the plot. I didn't find the space battles particularly exciting either. I can remember one or two examples of vertical movement so for the most part space was treated, like almost always in space series, as a sea. The ships even didn't need more than two-dimensional tactical displays. And I don't care for explosions. Admittedly this is more in the nitpicking category since it's more a matter of opinion whether battles are exciting.

3) Many of the rebellions and attacks seemed contrived because the reasons were not adequately explained. Phezzan and Terraists are shown to be behind these attacks that only serve to give the Alliance some breathing space, while we are never really explained their reasons. There's only a vague feeling that they want to grab power and that maybe by bombing buildings something might happen. The first Alliance rebellion seemed too easy considering there was no reason for people to be behind it unlike in the Empire rebellion. Reuenthal's rebellion seemed stupid as well. No matter what his logic behind it was, would those millions of people have blindly obeyed him just because he wanted power or because they didn't trust Oberstein? There wasn't any improvement to quality of life to be achieved by a military campaign. Phezzans didn't put up any resistance against the Empire when they decided to invade, despite being an important balancing power early in the series, their logic being that maybe they'll be able to grab the power of the huge empire if it has conquered all of space. Sadly, that was like saying Mexico would be happy to be invaded by the US because then Mexicans could use ninja guerrilla tactics to take over the whole country. Not bloody likely. My main complaint regarding Terraism isn't that religion was vilified but that they were implied to have a big influence on things while always staying in the background and their agenda was never revealed except for some individual hunger for power.

There are some other smaller points I was critical of but which wouldn't knock this from masterpiece status. I didn't like the way Yang performed miracles by knowing when the opponents would fall for ruses and when they wouldn't. One can also speculate on whether it was realistic that he agreed to unconditional surrender while having Reinhard in his grasp, thus destroying the alliance with the pretext of it being the only way to protect democracy. In truth that was the time democracy died in the series and it never recovered even though there were people still believing that it hadn't been reduced to military leadership. But that's really more of a point in the internal logic of the series. Just because characters do stupid things doesn't mean a series is flawed.

Having said that, 8 is not a bad score for me. It does still mean the series was very good. It avoided many pitfalls and managed to explore things rarely, if ever, seen in anime. The music was used well, particularly in season 3, and there were some interesting references too. It wasn't too predictable either. Even though I did guess many big developments, it was more because I tried to think what would make a good story from the premises rather than because of overused plotlines. The closest thing I can compare this to is Deep Space Nine, no more, no less.
May 29, 2012 10:36 PM

Aug 2010
This was a great series.. masterpiece to be exact. I don't think I've ever watched a show where so many well developed characters have died. Oberstein, was always a suspicious character throughout the series but at the end of the day he just did what had to be done. I definitely respect him the most in the series. He was willing to get his hands dirty even if it would bring everyone against him.

I like how Julian grew throughout the series. During the first few episodes I didn't think he would be of much importance but boy was I wrong.

Definite 10 for this series.

R.I.P Sieg Kaiser Reinhard!
Ragna92Sep 10, 2013 6:25 PM
May 31, 2012 6:03 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
Feorg said:
A good, satisfying ending. The last few episodes returned to the good quality of the third season. I'm not sure what to write now, mainly because MAL is mostly a site in which people gather to talk about how awesome every anime is.

Still, I didn't think this was a masterpiece. I gave it a solid 8. Individually the seasons would have been (in order) 7/10, 8/10, 9/10 and 7/10. So there was a clear improvement until season three but the show did lose some of its direction after Yang's death. But if I evaluated every season individually there are many shows that I would have rated more harshly. So here are my major complaints:

1) Seabury said in his review that the characters were flat but complex. He said there's no character development. I might not agree on that, but otherwise that's a good description. I understand it like this: the characters were complex because they have often several motives for their actions, and they can be analysed even to be unaware of some of them. But they are also flat because we see no character displaying the full range of emotions. This is very common in epics and you could same about Iliad, Odyssey, Aeneid etc (which have other structural flaws too, I think those are masterpieces more because of the time they were written than because they'd be perfect). The very reason why many of these people seem larger than life is that their emotions are so limited. As a result, I never once forgot that I was watching a tv show, and thus there was no emotional investment on my part. Obviously others were able to do that since they were able to cry. There were some scenes that were particularly memorable because for once the characters seem human in their emotions: two examples are Reinhard's proposal and Poplan's drunken despair after Yang's death. But generally when it comes to despair, fear etc., those are shown only in very minor characters about to die.

2) Another big flaw was that *gasp* the series was indeed boring at times. Usually when someone says that, people immediately become defensive and claim "You're just not intelligent enough" as if ad hominem arguments proved their own intelligence. The best parts of the show were the ones exploring political philosophy which is why Yang's loss was such a devastating blow. But the series dragged in other ways. Most importantly, many situations were repeated over and over again in different variations. The narrator keeps assuring us that it's worth watching the series because now that a cease fire/peace/total conquest etc. was achieved, the next tragedy would come soon. And it was either a terrorist attack or a rebellion. This was repeated several times through the series. And some of these were quite contrived (I'll get to that soon). Also, in season two I felt for a long time that only every other episode advanced the plot. I didn't find the space battles particularly exciting either. I can remember one or two examples of vertical movement so for the most part space was treated, like almost always in space series, as a sea. The ships even didn't need more than two-dimensional tactical displays. And I don't care for explosions. Admittedly this is more in the nitpicking category since it's more a matter of opinion whether battles are exciting.

3) Many of the rebellions and attacks seemed contrived because the reasons were not adequately explained. Phezzan and Terraists are shown to be behind these attacks that only serve to give the Alliance some breathing space, while we are never really explained their reasons. There's only a vague feeling that they want to grab power and that maybe by bombing buildings something might happen. The first Alliance rebellion seemed too easy considering there was no reason for people to be behind it unlike in the Empire rebellion. Reuenthal's rebellion seemed stupid as well. No matter what his logic behind it was, would those millions of people have blindly obeyed him just because he wanted power or because they didn't trust Oberstein? There wasn't any improvement to quality of life to be achieved by a military campaign. Phezzans didn't put up any resistance against the Empire when they decided to invade, despite being an important balancing power early in the series, their logic being that maybe they'll be able to grab the power of the huge empire if it has conquered all of space. Sadly, that was like saying Mexico would be happy to be invaded by the US because then Mexicans could use ninja guerrilla tactics to take over the whole country. Not bloody likely. My main complaint regarding Terraism isn't that religion was vilified but that they were implied to have a big influence on things while always staying in the background and their agenda was never revealed except for some individual hunger for power.

There are some other smaller points I was critical of but which wouldn't knock this from masterpiece status. I didn't like the way Yang performed miracles by knowing when the opponents would fall for ruses and when they wouldn't. One can also speculate on whether it was realistic that he agreed to unconditional surrender while having Reinhard in his grasp, thus destroying the alliance with the pretext of it being the only way to protect democracy. In truth that was the time democracy died in the series and it never recovered even though there were people still believing that it hadn't been reduced to military leadership. But that's really more of a point in the internal logic of the series. Just because characters do stupid things doesn't mean a series is flawed.

Having said that, 8 is not a bad score for me. It does still mean the series was very good. It avoided many pitfalls and managed to explore things rarely, if ever, seen in anime. The music was used well, particularly in season 3, and there were some interesting references too. It wasn't too predictable either. Even though I did guess many big developments, it was more because I tried to think what would make a good story from the premises rather than because of overused plotlines. The closest thing I can compare this to is Deep Space Nine, no more, no less.

Good review. To love a series doesn't mean being blind to its flaws. I agree with pretty much what you said and was fully aware of these flaws. However, I think it deserves a 10 just because most other series have more flaws.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Jun 3, 2012 12:39 AM

Sep 2008
I agree with Wakka9ca. I'd be the first one to say that the series does have flaws, and they could be be unbearable or completely forgivable depending on where you're coming from. Personally I think the good far outweighed the flaws in the series.
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Jun 4, 2012 5:20 PM

Feb 2012
In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.

"Deed" is a neutral word with no explicit connotation (its etymology is only the verb "to do"), but when this epigram appeared in front of each second season episode, it had as much of an implicitly negative connotation as an implicitly positive one. In that season, we saw such deeds as Yang's inquiry, the Emperor's abduction, Rubinsky's machinations, and Siegfried's death as it was reiterated time and time again by the lament "if only Kircheis were here." We even saw an entire episode detailing the generations of deeds that drove Ale Heinessen from the Galactic Empire.

It's all too easy to frame expressions like this negatively, in the same way that we shake our heads and say "plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose" at our current crop of political leaders. How else can the death of someone like Yang Wenli be rationalized after the fact, when it outweighed every good deed which had been done in the preceding 81 episodes? "...the deeds of men remain the same" -- which is why the galaxy will have the same political and social problems in 800 S.C. as it does now.

But with one swipe of his arm, Felix Mittermeyer -- more innocently childlike in his ambition than his birth father -- flipped that epigram around and pointed it outward to the stars:

The other side of that coin is uplifting. "In every age, in every place" we'll fuck up the world that's humankind's birthright with our individual and collective deeds, but "in any era, in any world" we'll stretch our arms outward to a new world; we'll gaze at the night sky as we contemplate our dreams -- just as Reinhard and Siegfried did as children on that starlit hillside -- and make designs to grab them for ourselves. Could it be, then, that the eponymous "Galactic Hero" is the man that sees his dreams among the stars and then goes to those stars in person to attain them?

I couldn't have drawn up a better ending to the series, and I couldn't have found a better place to end it than Reinhard's death on the eve of the galaxy's reunification.

LOGH was definitely not without its flaws (Feorg hit a few of them), the least of which is the animation. But the other side of the scale has tipped those flaws so high out of my view that I have to consciously strain my eyes to focus on them. This is a 10/10 and something I'll be talking about, mulling over, and rewatching many times in the years to come.
Jun 15, 2012 7:43 PM

Mar 2012
an unbelievably consistently brilliant series - so sad to see the Rosenritters main soldiers die, but I suppose they died the way of their choosing.

I really do feel sad there are no more episodes :(
Aug 17, 2012 5:45 PM

Nov 2008
Holy crap, I feel so emotional right now.
I cried as soon as the episode started and cried even harder once Reinhard died and that it meant it was the end of the series......
Aug 22, 2012 3:07 AM

Jul 2010
10/10

One of the greatest, if not the greatest, anime I have seen so far.
The scene with Oberstein at the end for me made him one of the best characters in the show.
Aug 24, 2012 6:49 PM
Aug 2012
Am I the only one who felt just a tiny bit dissatisfied with the ending? Don't get me wrong, I thought the ending entire series was brilliant and easily one of the best I've seen, but I would have liked even a short narration of how things went after Reinhard died.

I can't help but be curious as to how the universe, which he alone united, continued on without him (as well as Oberstein and Reuental for that matter). I mean, those three were some of the most prominent people in the universe by the end, and suddenly in the span of just a few months they all died. It must have had a pretty big effect on the Lohengramm Dynasty. Wouldn't you think? Now, granted there are still the six high admirals who were to be promoted to Fleet Admirals, and they certainly weren't lacking in their loyalty to the empire Reinhard built, but still. These men, Reinhard especially, were huge figureheads in the new government, it must have come as a shock when they all died.

(You may ask why I included Oberstein as one of these people - its because he had so much influence on Reinhard's policies earlier on in the series, and ultimately he was someone who had a huge part in shaping the Lohengramm Dynasty).

On that note, while I didn't particularly like Oberstein, I was glad to see that he was in fact loyal to Reinhard (to the point of sacrificing his own life) regardless of the fact that he came across as a man who might have an agenda of his own.
Aug 25, 2012 7:27 PM

Feb 2012
As a storyteller, it's important to leave as much to the imagination of your audience as possible without degrading the integrity of the story itself. Which is to say, when you leave an element of your story up to imagination, it's for one of two reasons: 1) the element is superfluous to the story, or 2) you couldn't possibly meet the expectations set by your audience's imagination in your realization of the element.

I agree that what you describe -- humanity's future in a post-Reinhard galaxy -- is not superfluous to the story. In fact, I'm of the opinion that Julian is the true protagonist of the series while Reinhard and Yang are second-tier characters; and in that case, the months and years after Reinhard's death are definitely not superfluous to the story of LOGH, because they're definitely not superfluous to Julian's story.

That being said, you couldn't script an "extension" to LOGH that would meet my expectations -- because I'd much rather have my imagination play around with the many possible avenues the story could have gone down had it continued. Would the Galactic Empire move toward a constitutional monarchy or something else? What would be Julian's part in this new galaxy? What would Alec and Felix have become in twenty years? Any concrete answers to these questions (and many others!) would be novel at first, but would damage the integrity of the story upon closer inspection.

It's like the briefcase in Pulp Fiction. I place a lot of faith in Quentin Tarantino's storytelling ability, but I recognize (as does he!) that he couldn't have made that story any better by revealing what's in the briefcase.
Aug 30, 2012 2:18 PM

Sep 2009
Final Fantasy X-2.

While it's fun for a few hours to play in the world that was created after the events of the first game.
It becomes entirely pointless and boring, with no real need for itself to exist.

Which is what I feel any kind of extension to LotGH would be.
My ending wouldn't jive with Hakuromatsu's ending, which wouldn't jive with Eyeroks ending, which wouldn't jive with Beatniks ending, ect ect.
And then we would all have this small stain on something we all love dearly.
Aug 30, 2012 3:01 PM

Jan 2008
In my ending, the camera starts to zoom outwards away from the stars, it all starts to blur and suddenly we're zooming out of an iris, zooming further out still, out of an eye which blinks.

We see that it is Lelouch Lamperouge. The opening credits to Code Geass R3 start to play.

The end.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Sep 6, 2012 7:52 PM

Feb 2012
^ I like the way you troll.

Anyway, if you ask me, it was by all accounts a satisfying ending. Although the story has a grand scale, it is still mostly a story about the heroes of an era, the characters and not the galaxy. "Story ends, history begins", as the show says.
Sep 8, 2012 1:13 PM

Sep 2008
One of the most perfect endings ever created. Showing what's next would defeat the purpose of the whole ending and the story; that to leave some for imagination of viewer (hakuromatsu), and what mecharobot said. "In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same"...but, Hope and possibility of things to come is one of the themes of the OVA and the reason why it ends like that.
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Sep 9, 2012 1:00 AM

Jan 2012
This has to be the best anime I have watched to date. Adding to top five. This series is LEGENDARY! Respect.
you sound poor
Sep 18, 2012 1:58 AM

Jun 2011
truly masterpiece
so many epic chars, this is one of the best animes ever made
Sep 20, 2012 4:43 AM
Mar 2012
It finally ended, I was planning to rush this episode but oberstein made it worth seeing.
I am not sure about this show. First I was bored then interested then I got annoyed, then I hated it and then I just wanted to end it already. It's a masterpiece but it has an incredible amount of flaws, and since I'm strict when it comes to ranking I'll give it a 5/10.
Oberstein is the real hero of this show, he's the real kaiser unlike reinhard who half the time is just lying in his bed or having people kneel before him and worship him like slaves. I remember him proving his intelligence like 2 times in the series, aside from that, most of the time it's oberstein and mariendorf doing the thinking, and reuental also near the end. Funny, even reuental would have been a better kaiser, he sure does have a better reason: his mother tried to destroy his eye at his birth and his father hated him his whole life and ridiculed his existence yet he still worked hard, how ironic it would have been for him to become the kaiser, while reinhard is like "the kaiser took my sister away so I'll rule over the universe", pfft. And how they keep bringing up dead people, they are dead ok? one or two times is fine but above isn't and most deaths here are above. And how empty the deaths in this show are, some people get killed just because the plot want it so, they could have avoided it but no, when I saw the rosenritters getting owned in the end after beating 10 times their numbers in the past numerous times, I just lost even more hope in this anime. And I'm disappointed some people didn't die like that bittentard, who should have been the first to die seeing as how much he gets himself in dangerous situations.
Somehow I feel like I've seen nothing, so what's the difference between this kaiser and that rudolf guy? in the end it's going to be the same, it feels like this got cancelled or something since there are many things that need to be solved. Oh yeah, he's gonna go to the battlefied, well that changes everything... if it was like julian who actually fights then it would at least be a bit more acceptable, but this is just a joke.
And I nearly forgot, this show was good but then they decided to bring religion and ridicule it, apparently because some bad person is misusing a religion, it means all religions are bad. I can't believe this.
And last, the fillers moments were a pain, I don't really care about brandy or anything like that.
In the end what I liked is that it had a lot of characters undergoing a lot of development, even minor characters had their role in this series, I also liked the rank system.
Sep 21, 2012 1:39 PM

Sep 2008
The only part I agree with your post is about bittenfield not biting the dust. On the rest, you are not the first to feel that way about the show; you need to have a certain perspective to appreciate the themes and how they are portrayed. Maybe you watched it too soon, but what I'm really surprised about is how you managed to watch it even after disliking it, considering how long it was.
Sep 23, 2012 4:24 AM

Jun 2009
Beatnik said:
In my ending, the camera starts to zoom outwards away from the stars, it all starts to blur and suddenly we're zooming out of an iris, zooming further out still, out of an eye which blinks.

We see that it is Lelouch Lamperouge. The opening credits to Code Geass R3 start to play.

The end.

lol
Sep 25, 2012 2:18 PM

Jan 2008
Shaduge said:
I am not sure about this show. First I was bored then interested then I got annoyed, then I hated it and then I just wanted to end it already. It's a masterpiece but it has an incredible amount of flaws, and since I'm strict when it comes to ranking I'll give it a 5/10.

Surely 5/10 means 'mediocre'? 5 is halfway to 10, therefore you're saying the show is neither good nor bad, let alone great or crap.

edit: nevermind, just saw a few of your posts in the episode threads, you clearly felt like torturing yourself by watching 110 episodes of plot armor.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Sep 25, 2012 2:58 PM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
The end. I want Beethoven played at my deathbed.

Anyway, great series. Not afraid to kill main characters if necessary and still keep things interesting.
Sep 28, 2012 8:03 PM

Jun 2010
Epic and Magnificent End *-*

Worthy of such a complex and epic divine saga...

Sieg Mein Kaiser!
Sep 29, 2012 3:35 PM

May 2009
Shaduge said:
[...]Funny, even reuental would have been a better kaiser, he sure does have a better reason: his mother tried to destroy his eye at his birth and his father hated him his whole life and ridiculed his existence yet he still worked hard, how ironic it would have been for him to become the kaiser, while reinhard is like "the kaiser took my sister away so I'll rule over the universe", pfft.
[...]I also liked the rank system.

I'm having a hard time grasping this. So, a "good" reason for wanting to become kaiser is because your mom hated you and you worked hard in spite of that? That's a better reason than, say, oh, wanting to abolish the class system that you mentioned liking? This same class system that led to the old Kaiser being able to play God and just marry someone against their will? This class system that Reinhard AND Reuenthal repeatedly mention hating? (And Oberstein, I might add.)

Yeah. That explains a lot. About your views, that is.

Also, as a side note. Reinhard's words after Sieg's death about how winning the universe is the least he could achieve to make up for the enormity of Sieg's loss are significant. That's one of the reasons they keep "bringing up dead people" and one of Reinhard's strongest motivator to win the universe.

Eh, why do I even bother?
Oct 7, 2012 9:30 PM

Jan 2011
finally completed it an loved the ending
3rd best anime ive seen
10/10
Jan 2, 2013 6:49 PM

Aug 2010
I lost interest when Yang passed, thought he died way too early. It was good overall.
Feb 2, 2013 8:06 PM

Aug 2012
It was a good ride.
Feb 8, 2013 5:18 PM

May 2009
Just amazing, One of my favorite shows ever
Feb 15, 2013 9:40 AM

Apr 2008
I will forever remember Felix reaching for the stars

"You too eh Felix?"

Amazing, simply amazing
Feb 19, 2013 5:22 AM
Feb 2013
Shaduge said:
Funny, even reuental would have been a better kaiser, he sure does have a better reason: his mother tried to destroy his eye at his birth and his father hated him his whole life and ridiculed his existence yet he still worked hard, how ironic it would have been for him to become the kaiser, while reinhard is like "the kaiser took my sister away so I'll rule over the universe", pfft. And how they keep bringing up dead people, they are dead ok? one or two times is fine but above isn't and most deaths here are above. And how empty the deaths in this show are, some people get killed just because the plot want it so, they could have avoided it but no, when I saw the rosenritters getting owned in the end after beating 10 times their numbers in the past numerous times, I just lost even more hope in this anime. And I'm disappointed some people didn't die like that bittentard, who should have been the first to die seeing as how much he gets himself in dangerous situations.
Somehow I feel like I've seen nothing, so what's the difference between this kaiser and that rudolf guy? in the end it's going to be the same, it feels like this got cancelled or something since there are many things that need to be solved. Oh yeah, he's gonna go to the battlefied, well that changes everything... if it was like julian who actually fights then it would at least be a bit more acceptable, but this is just a joke.

I somewhat agree. It was great when they balanced finely between Yang and Reinhard, but once Yang died, I lost my interest. The last season was too repetitive after a while (it just went on and on and ON about the Terraist plotting and plotting) and became all about Reinhard, who is one of the vainest characters I have seen lately. I was glad he finally died at the end, good riddance to the mass murderer.

The ending was somewhat anticlimatic. It managed to tie so many loose ends, but left many questions open, too. Still, i rather enjoyed the epic scale of the story and the setting. I think all politicians should watch it, they could learn a lot from it. Overall, a very good show, but too dry after a while. I wonder if those who finished watching it years ago, ever bothered to re-watch it again? Because even though I admire it, I cannot imagine re-watching it again.
Feb 27, 2013 1:47 PM

Nov 2012
What a terrible ending, the last 4 episodes completely undermined all character development of the previous 106 episodes (why would Reinhard accept peace against such a weak fleet?). At times the episodes also defied logic completely; for example when 9000 ships or so were able to stand strong against the empire's 50000.

The show began to go downhill shortly before Yang's death once terrible characters such as Poplan, Schenkopp, Julian and Attenborough started getting more screentime.

Poplan had no redeeming qualities, it was as if the author put him there solely to annoy the viewer with his terrible jokes and awful arguments with Attenborough.

Schenkopp is a blatant Han Solo ripoff and the Rosen Ritter in general were simply terrible because of their absurdly overpowered combat abilities.

Julian is completely unlikeable and only succeeds because he possesses the same deus ex machina abilities as Yang which enable him to make any enemy commander into a complete idiot for no real reason. In my opinion he is even more annoying than Shinji Ikari.

Attenborough had no real purpose being in the show, he never contributed anything useful to discussions and along with Poplan served to solidify the FPA's status as an unfunny comic relief side.

The last season in general was just terrible all round, all of the underlying schemes developed throughout the past seasons were executed poorly (The Rubinsky and Terraist plotlines especially) and numerous plotlines were given one line of illogical dialogue simply to avoid plotholes / loose ends.
ArkXFeb 27, 2013 2:10 PM
Feb 28, 2013 6:43 AM

Sep 2008
okay, I'm starting to lose faith in humanity again, lol!
Feb 28, 2013 7:07 AM

Jan 2013
Although it has an Overall Epic feel to it with 3 sides playing a Political Conundrum BUT where is the so called Genius Strategy ? Tactical Wits ? Ordering a left or right Turns/Move and defeating enemies who have fought in over 200 battles with such Kiddish tactics doesn't equate to "Battle of Wits"

The Audience were never let in on any of those Tactical Moves unlike say Death Note where each and every move were processed right in front of us and played like a real Game of Chess....instead LOGH relied on Random Soldiers Praising "Oh wow what a great Move" " You are Such a Genius"

I liked the early seasons and especially the Character Dynamics of the show more so than their Battle execution coz every command allies or Opposition made felt Comedic rather than intellectual
Feb 28, 2013 11:38 AM

Aug 2012
So, I finished this 2 days ago and I still can't really think straight.

First of all let me say that asides from the main 2, Oberstein was my favorite character all along. I'm sad that there was no background given about him at all. AT ALL. Okay, he had a disease in his childhood that rendered him blind, he lives with his butler and his dog. But what else?! Jesus Christ I really wanted to know what was on his will, perhaps he has family somewhere, or SOMEONE. Yeah he makes people really uncomfortable but there's no way that he has absolutely no one. Did no one really understand that he contributed about 80% or more to Reinhard's successes?

I understand he's supposed to be one of "those" characters, and I suppose it was very appropriate to leave him in the shadows, but his death was done kind of poorly, too, with the completely unnecessary music and the "BUT PEOPLE COULDN'T BE CONCERNED WITH HIS DEATH FOREVER!!! xD xD" shit immediately after he died. Wow, the director must've really hated this character. I knew he was going to die since around episode 20 b/c I looked him up on the LoGH wikia and spoiled it for myself, but I was still so, so upset.

Anyways, the worst for me was Reinhard's death. I don't know what to say about it except that it was actually really painful for me. There was no reason for him to die and this was probably the worst of all fictional deaths, for me. I'm still thinking about it. There's NO WAY the Empire will fare well now without Reinhard or Obz.

Overall, LoGH now ties with Evangelion as my favorite anime of all time.
Feb 28, 2013 2:28 PM

Nov 2012
eyerok said:

Try defending the show against the arguments presented instead of posting pointless things like this if you want people to agree with your views on it.
Mar 1, 2013 7:48 AM

Sep 2008
arkv said:
eyerok said:

Try defending the show against the arguments presented instead of posting pointless things like this if you want people to agree with your views on it.

I'm sorry... :(
eyerokMar 1, 2013 7:52 AM
Mar 2, 2013 3:26 PM

Aug 2012
arkv said:

Poplan had no redeeming qualities, it was as if the author put him there solely to annoy the viewer with his terrible jokes and awful arguments with Attenborough.

I agree. Dusty Attenborough was a total qt, but Poplan, I just didn't see anything great about him. Hearing "onna onna onna onna onna" out of his mouth every 3 seconds every time he had screentime got old really fast. That and his jokes about never reaching 30.
Mar 3, 2013 3:33 AM

Nov 2010
Roronoa_Zoro_Fan said:
Although it has an Overall Epic feel to it with 3 sides playing a Political Conundrum BUT where is the so called Genius Strategy ? Tactical Wits ? Ordering a left or right Turns/Move and defeating enemies who have fought in over 200 battles with such Kiddish tactics doesn't equate to "Battle of Wits"

The Audience were never let in on any of those Tactical Moves unlike say Death Note where each and every move were processed right in front of us and played like a real Game of Chess....instead LOGH relied on Random Soldiers Praising "Oh wow what a great Move" " You are Such a Genius"

I liked the early seasons and especially the Character Dynamics of the show more so than their Battle execution coz every command allies or Opposition made felt Comedic rather than intellectual

this made me lol, no offense, it seems you expected a detective novel out of LoGH, try reading santetjan's review maybe you'll understand what I mean
Mar 4, 2013 11:04 AM

Aug 2012
Roronoa_Zoro_Fan said:

Wait a second did you really just imply that Death Note is better than LoGH? Maybe you should wait a few years until you're of legal age and then see how your opinion changes....

There's a reason that DN is considered a shounen for teens and LoGH a classic.
May 14, 2013 8:15 PM

Jan 2013
Definitely my favourite anime ever and one of the greatest anime of all time, 10/10 overall
May 20, 2013 5:16 PM
Sep 2011
Well.... After this I think giving a second 10 to another anime in my entire life will be very difficult. This just set the bar so high.... it is impossible to top it. An amazing experience doesn't describe the feelings and great moments this epic manages to give to the viewer. Probably one of the best creations ever to grace our planet Earth. Finishing my overbearing praise for this show, one of the most sound arguments for why this is objectively a masterpiece (and masterpiece is not a word that should be used frequently) is the ever-lasting desire to re watch it, again and again.

May I find something this good again in the span of my life, for it is very hard to be achieved by any medium.

10/10, a bright masterpiece of all the ages.
Jun 1, 2013 3:48 AM

Mar 2012
I have finally finished one of the best series, if not the BEST series I have ever seen. I paced each episode out as slowly as I could to savor every last minute to this fabulous series. I wasn't even 1 season in when LoGH became one of my favourite anime, and now that it's done my decision remains the same.

When I learned of Job Truniht, I was actually saddened at the thought of his death, even though I was glad Ruenthal had killed his ass a couple episodes back. One of the many great aspects to LoGH, viewing it as a whole, and not in singular moments.

I know Fredrica was still on Iserlohn, but I wished she could have been there to meet Hilda, that would have pleased me even more than I already was, but it wasn't meant to be. The death of the Terraists, especially the Arch Bishop taken by Julian's hands was the poetic justice everyone was looking for since the death of Yang 1 season prior. And everyone appreciated Mittermeyer being the last of the four most prominent Imperial characters, even though Rienhard was my favourite.

I will always look back to this series when I need a reminder of how absolutely fabulous japanese animation can be. The writing especially should be the influence many authors of today should look to, even though ratings and audiences have evolved since then.

Here's to the best series I've ever seen.
Jun 21, 2013 6:14 PM

Aug 2012
It has been a week since I’ve finished, and yet I still cannot help myself from pacing around my room contemplating over the ending and the entirety of the series.

I’m still speechless, but from what I can gather.. I believe I may be mourning over mein Kaiser and all the other characters that have passed, however silly that may sound. Now, I believe the show ended well just as much as the next guy, but I can’t help feel a sort of emptiness.. It’s awful to demand more from what already is one of the most magnificent shows of the medium, but I expected a final ‘remembrance’ of all the characters who have passed. I guess that’s the only slight disappointment I have, but I tend to not be too picky.

Other than that, I believe this has one of the best closures of the medium when referring to plot. Everything was wrapped up well and detailed, albeit a bit too quickly for some cases, and all that was left was for us to envisage the future.

Any other praise has already been mentioned, but there is no doubt that it is well deserved.
Jun 30, 2013 3:11 PM

Jan 2012
RoCSC-006C1BST said:
It's incredibly underrated, IMO.

It's ranked #6 in rates and it's #1468 in the favourites of MAL lurkers. Surely I haven't watched every anime that exists, but I'm quite certain it's almost impossible to have more than 10 animes better than LoGH, besides... Gintama? Clannad? S;G? FMA? Not that they are horribly bad shows, but they pale in comparison to LoGH, actually I think even some masterpieces from the duo Clarke/Asimov might not be as good as LoGH. Just my two-cents.

Clannad AS>LOGH. (flameshield engaged)

Considering the amount of 12year fangirls you should be pretty happy about the fact that LOGH is higher than shit like Kuroshitsuji and decent, but not great series like Death Note
Jul 7, 2013 12:39 PM

Sep 2008
TerminallyChill said:
Now, I believe the show ended well just as much as the next guy, but I can’t help feel a sort of emptiness.. It’s awful to demand more from what already is one of the most magnificent shows of the medium.

Almost all great masterpieces make me feel like that by the end. The emptiness, its like you wish there was more, but that's not quite it. Thats how I felt when I finished Monster, and Lotgh.
Jul 23, 2013 4:40 PM
Jul 2013
MASTERPIECE!!! ONLY LOGH TRULY DESERVES THIS WORD!!! 10/10
Jul 31, 2013 6:49 AM

Aug 2010
A strong finale and while it answered some questions, others were left open for us to ponder upon. I, for one, would be very much interested to know what happened to Felix and Alec, even though that is a tale for another a time. Reinhard wasn't my favorite character by far, but I still felt extremely sad when he passed away, and could have easily cried a little. Kudos to the creator.

And so ends an era...Completely unintentional on my part, but I started watching this series on a 31st and ended up completing it on another 31st, that was some great coincidence.

What I have to emphasize is that I loved the humor in the series.
"Where is Oberstein?
Away due to compelling reasons (He is dead)
Right, that man always has compelling reasons"
Cracked me up. 5/5.

Overall, it was an amazing journey and I'm giving it a 9/10. The only reason I'm not rating it higher is that there were these small little things that bothered me to no end.

1) Distinguished military leaders acting like brainless monkeys all the time.
"Hey, that famous tactician is making a strange move."
"ATTACK!"
"It might be a trap, sir!"
"Yes, but we will overwhelm them!"
"Sir, we are being ambushed!"
"NANIIIII?!"
Repeat ad infinitum.

2) The show had a very intelligent and realistic way of telling the story, certain action-movie like scenes were completely unnecessary (Schenkopp charging down a 2 meter wide corridor in a straight line with 6 enemy soldiers firing at him and none can come even close to hitting him) and detracting.

3) Killing off Yang Wenli. His death was pulled off remarkably well (and again, realistically), but I don't think it steered the show in the right direction.

4) Reinhard's illness. Way too much sentimentalism and romanticism for an otherwise intellectual show.

Apart from these, I enjoyed every last second of Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu and will surely watch it again one day. I originally disliked how the future was portrayed, but somewhere down the line came to love the setting, wouldn't have it any other way now. One last page to the history of the galaxy.
Aug 5, 2013 4:52 AM
Mar 2010
I... I don't know what to say... This feeling... The only other time i felt like this is when i finished FMA 5 years ago.. But its much more intense..

Definitely one of the best shows. Anime or TV. This is one that i will rewatch many times and recommend it to as many poeple as possibe.

11/10. I cried T_T . Thank you Legend of the Galactic Heroes.
Aug 9, 2013 11:44 PM

Jun 2013
LOGH is absolutely a MASTERPIECE!!!

Brilliant from beginning to end, I had so much fun watching this. Truly worthy of being the BEST OF THE BEST anime out there! I will never forget you LOGH! It is my honor to have watched such a magnificent anime!
Aug 10, 2013 7:02 AM

Jun 2013
arkv said:
What a terrible ending, the last 4 episodes completely undermined all character development of the previous 106 episodes (why would Reinhard accept peace against such a weak fleet?). At times the episodes also defied logic completely; for example when 9000 ships or so were able to stand strong against the empire's 50000.

In my opinion, Reinhard making peace with the Iserlohn Republic Government is not out-of-character for him. After all, all he was looking for is their commitment to fight for their beliefs. He was never a bloodthirsty megalomaniac that believes that everybody must obey him or perish (otherwise he would not have allowed the Iserlohn Republic to exist for so long, among other examples) and he was in fact more or less dictating the terms of peace. All Julian could do was to bargain with Reinhard, and the Empire has the ability break their terms unilaterally in the future if they so wish.

arkv said:
The show began to go downhill shortly before Yang's death once terrible characters such as Poplan, Schenkopp, Julian and Attenborough started getting more screentime.

Well, he is an ace pilot who gets to attend high level strategic meetings. His purpose (besides making awful jokes) is to show another facet of the Yang Fleet, namely the Spartanian fighter squadron.

arkv said:
Schenkopp is a blatant Han Solo ripoff and the Rosen Ritter in general were simply terrible because of their absurdly overpowered combat abilities.

The last time I checked, Schönkopf does not really use ranged weaponry in combat. He also does not pilot spacecrafts. So how does he ripoff Han Solo? As for the Rosenritter, they are indeed overpowered. But absurd? Not really, considering how little emphasis the Empire placed to close quarters combat relative to fleet combat.

arkv said:
Julian is completely unlikeable and only succeeds because he possesses the same deus ex machina abilities as Yang which enable him to make any enemy commander into a complete idiot for no real reason. In my opinion he is even more annoying than Shinji Ikari.

Likeability is subjective, so I will not argue over that. However, I will not really call Julian's ability deus ex machina since his methods do not magically appear from nowhere; he had lots of time to learn from Yang after all. While he did win in his first time leading a fleet, it was a gamble on his part as well, and Mecklinger helpfully provides the viewers on what could go wrong for Julian in his post-battle analysis.

arkv said:
Attenborough had no real purpose being in the show, he never contributed anything useful to discussions and along with Poplan served to solidify the FPA's status as an unfunny comic relief side.

Attenborough is important as a frontline commander, and his purpose in the show is to provide Yang with a reliable commander that can lead a detachment in battles. After Yang's passing, he provides military advice to Julian. Though if you do not like his contributions, then you will definitely be inclined to think he is useless.

arkv said:
The last season in general was just terrible all round, all of the underlying schemes developed throughout the past seasons were executed poorly (The Rubinsky and Terraist plotlines especially) and numerous plotlines were given one line of illogical dialogue simply to avoid plotholes / loose ends.

I will not deny that the last season pales in comparison with the third, but it still stands fairly well. None of the plot resolutions felt forced in anyway; if any it just highlights how futile conspiracies are. No matter how hard they try, Rubinsky and Terraism can never succeed simply because too many factors are out of their control.
Pages (13) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 60 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - May 31, 2008

59 by ELuck42 »»
Jun 1, 8:31 PM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - May 26, 2008

69 by Safrichh »»
May 29, 8:28 PM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 106 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - Jun 7, 2008

91 by ryzxgum »»
May 28, 12:21 AM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 100 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - Jun 6, 2008

82 by ryzxgum »»
May 27, 12:28 AM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 99 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - Jun 6, 2008

58 by ryzxgum »»
May 27, 12:27 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.