Forum Settings
Forums
New
Dec 30, 2018 7:22 AM
Sep 2015
Is "catfishing" morally wrong even if it's done with good intentions?
What I mean by "catfishing" is when you deliberately act like somebody else in order to get close to someone, having this person thinking you're somebody else or at the very least not who you really are.

Now, my question is, if the person being "fooled" is in need of somebody to talk to but unwilling to talk to you, would it be wrong of you to build a new relationship with this person while they think you're somebody else?
You do this because you want to help and support them. You want to build a new relationship with this person because your old relationship didn't work out.

Edit: Off-topic posts are NOT allowed. Only comment on what is relevant to _this_ thread only.
senseiJan 4, 2019 11:07 AM
Dec 30, 2018 7:28 AM
May 2016
if done without hostile intent, it's a case to case basis
Dec 30, 2018 8:26 AM

Apr 2018
Yeah it is wrong and will probably end badly
Dec 30, 2018 8:29 AM

Jun 2014
Catfishing is always wrong.

I know someone who catfishes people all the time, and is still doing it to this day. Him and I are no longer friends.

Dec 30, 2018 8:35 AM

Jun 2015
the road to hell's paved with good intentions, etc etc

getting close to someone through lies is manipulative and dangerous, even if you think you're doing it to help

Dec 30, 2018 8:47 AM

Jun 2016
People who get catfished online are dumb and deserve their emotional pain for blindly trusting someone they've never met in person.
Dec 30, 2018 8:54 AM
Dragon Idol

May 2017
Perhaps the decision to catfish was exactly what drove that person they're attempting to catfish away in the first place

If someone done that to me I'd be furious. If you don't intend to be honest then you have no place in my life.
Dec 30, 2018 10:40 AM

Jan 2015
Sometimes u are helping a man live his dreams thro cat fish
I don't catfish tho
I'm a shark fish

ur opinion = shit
Dec 30, 2018 10:59 AM

Aug 2014
You're the guy who created tons of accounts to stalk someone. And now you're planning on posing as someone else.

Bro, you need to get professional help. This needs to stop.

Mod edit: added spoiler tag to possible epilepsy-inducing picture
BrandonJan 7, 2019 11:56 PM
Dec 30, 2018 1:56 PM

Apr 2014
technically its wrong on any website to make alts so it cant be a website you already have an account on
Dec 30, 2018 1:56 PM
Aug 2016
Catfishing and good intentions don't go along well.
Also, if changing your identity to help someone, means catfishing for you, then I'm clearly batman.
Catfishing is about changing your identity, but not for helping someone, but for starting a deceptive relationship.
Dec 30, 2018 2:17 PM
otp haver πŸ€ͺ

Jul 2017
I think the betray of trust will always go wrong and lead down a wrong path. I can maybe understand why people hide behind pretty people but if you're lying about anything else other then your face then it's probably always gonna go wrong. Especially the longer you talk.
Dec 30, 2018 3:52 PM

Oct 2014
I don't see how it'd ever be okay. Lying and manipulating someone is always wrong.
Dec 30, 2018 6:09 PM
Jul 2018
Just a few weeks ago you created a thread asking if it was ok to constantly try to get into contact with someone who blocked you, I think you need to take it easy and get some help instead.
Dec 30, 2018 6:14 PM
Jul 2018
there is no such thing as catfishing with good intentions
Dec 31, 2018 5:47 AM
Nov 2018
I wouldn't recommend it op. Lying to others always produce negative results for both parties.

"Self respect is the greatest gift we can give to our self"

Dec 31, 2018 6:29 AM

Mar 2008
If you mean a romantic or sexual relationship you likely should not do that. If you mean a friendship for providing support that can be okay in some circumstances if it's needed. Though you also could just get someone you both can trust to look out for that person because if you cared it wouldn't matter if it was you or not if you trust they can help and know you can't. It depends on the situation and I don't like giving advice or generalized one sized fits all answer not knowing the situation in intimate detail. Some general rules I can be fairly sure of though. Don't impersonate anyone they know or knew or could know. Being a friendly anonymous stranger may be enough really and doesn't even necessarily require lying so it's best if that's all that is needed and easier to do. Also if it ended on a particularly bad note you probably won't do any better a second time around. If it isn't that bad it's better to see if things can be reconciled.
traedDec 31, 2018 6:39 AM
Dec 31, 2018 6:45 AM

Jul 2015
catfishing online with good intentions?
Dec 31, 2018 6:57 AM

Aug 2018
If the relationship didn't work out when you weren't catfishing what makes you think it's gonna work now that you are?

Catfishing is always a dick move.
Dec 31, 2018 8:01 AM

Nov 2017
Call me old-fashioned, but trust and honesty are the very foundations of a strong relationship with another human being. Deception rarely ends well, and certainly is not the right path if you wish to help someone else.

Imagine yourself being genuinely unhappy and then finding out you've been lied to by someone you trusted. If the person in question can not afford to give you a second chance you either have to give them time, or accept that you must move on.

"Believing you can,
means you're already halfway there"

Blog Posts | Reviews
Dec 31, 2018 8:14 AM
Jul 2018
I'm going to go with no. Seems like it would be easier to mend a bad relationship then to lie, have that person find out then have to deal with the now double distrust.
Dec 31, 2018 8:59 AM
Jul 2018
SadMadoka said:
You're the guy who created tons of accounts to stalk someone. And now you're planning on posing as someone else.

Bro, you need to get professional help. This needs to stop.

[img]https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/yandere-simulator-fanon/images/8/81/YanStop.gif[img]
Drobie said:
Well after the last thread about harassment/stalking, compassion/sympathy, and now this...hopefully it's just trolling.

You should worry about your own mental health.
BRAINDEADPARTY said:
Just a few weeks ago you created a thread asking if it was ok to constantly try to get into contact with someone who blocked you, I think you need to take it easy and get some help instead.

Exactly what I thought. Any bets on what's next?

Is it okay to insert my on her without when she's asleep if it's done with good intentions?
Oh lord.
Dec 31, 2018 9:04 AM

Jan 2009
welp from the replies here it seems you got some bad history here on MAL lol

i doubt your good intentions are really good anyway, heck evil people think they are good in the first place
Dec 31, 2018 12:04 PM

Aug 2014
Vulze said:

Is it okay to insert my on her without when she's asleep if it's done with good intentions?
Oh lord.

He's also the one who posted more than a few threads about heinous stuff like rape and borderline necrophilia.

https://myanimelist.net/forum/search?q=&u=sensei&uloc=2&loc=-1
Dec 31, 2018 12:47 PM
Jul 2018
It will usually end badly. I'm not gonna pretend I have much experience with the whole thing but I have experience with liars and it never ended well for them. They could never talk about their good intentions cuz by that time, their throats would be busted.

And sometimes, they were legit and actually wanted to help. But you can't have your cake and eat it too. Can't betray trust and expect people to trust you the next second.
Dec 31, 2018 12:47 PM

Jun 2015
If you get into a relationship with someone due to your catfishing, it is a form of manipulation as they think you are something else than what you are.

Something's wrong with you, bud
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 31, 2018 5:47 PM
Jul 2018
there is such a thing as this? who wuld have thought
Dec 31, 2018 6:02 PM

Sep 2016
It's not real love if the person doesn't know the true you, besides, what is even the point when you know it'll fall apart a soon as the one getting catfished knows that they're being catfished.

πŸ”₯You're looking at someoneπŸ”₯

πŸ”₯Who is superior to youπŸ”₯

πŸ”₯You have my permission toπŸ”₯

πŸ”₯Bask in my glowπŸ”₯

Dec 31, 2018 7:25 PM

Feb 2015
Nothing wrong with baiting. Even MAL tolerates it as far as I know
Jan 4, 2019 11:45 AM
Sep 2015
The keyword here is "finding out". The person is completely unaware of what's going on and therefore cannot be hurt by it.

From their perspective, you're just another person wanting to befriend them. When given that context, does it even matter if you're not "you" as long as everybody's happy?
Jan 5, 2019 1:46 AM

Apr 2014
Police often catfish as young girls to catch paedophiles, so it's good in this instance.
Jan 5, 2019 3:45 AM

Jul 2015
Lost_Viking said:
People who get catfished online are dumb and deserve their emotional pain for blindly trusting someone they've never met in person.

Blindly trusting someone they haven't video/voiced chatted with is more reasonable.
Jan 6, 2019 9:14 AM

Dec 2010
It is bad. It will always be bad. It will never be not bad. Don't do this.

Jan 6, 2019 9:31 AM

Mar 2014
it is wrong as always. it make me curious tbh. why do you have to do catfishing if you want to be their friend? just act like who you really are and if they don't accept you then they just don't deserve your goodness.
Jan 6, 2019 3:20 PM

Aug 2014
Nym_ said:
it is wrong as always. it make me curious tbh. why do you have to do catfishing if you want to be their friend? just act like who you really are and if they don't accept you then they just don't deserve your goodness.

Because this person already blocked him and he created many accounts to try to keep contacting them.
Jan 6, 2019 3:49 PM

Oct 2010
No, pretending to be someone else to trick someone into telling you things they don't want you to know about is not okay. It also can't be counted as "good intentions" either since you aren't respecting their feelings at all.

You're just being a creepy jerk.
Jan 6, 2019 4:05 PM

Aug 2009
I remember when I was like 14. I was playing WoW and I was a female human priest... got into a lesbian relationship with a dark elf hunter... it got weird, but eventually I just told her I was actually a dude and we were friends on skype for a bit lol.
LoneWolfJan 6, 2019 4:08 PM

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Jan 6, 2019 4:09 PM

Apr 2017
SadMadoka said:
Vulze said:

Oh lord.

He's also the one who posted more than a few threads about heinous stuff like rape and borderline necrophilia.

https://myanimelist.net/forum/search?q=&u=sensei&uloc=2&loc=-1

"Why are people offended by old people raping people?"
"Do you like rape? "
"How close can you get to a corpse? (LEGALLY) "

honestly i feel like i'm on an fbi watch list just reading this shit

‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ πš–πšŠπš•'𝚜 CUTEST πš›πšŠπšŒπšŒπš˜πš˜πš—
‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ADORABLE πš‹πš˜πš˜πš™ !
πš’ πš πš’πš•πš• KISS πšπš‘πšŽ πšŒπš’πš‹πšŽπš› πš›πšŠπšŒπšŒπš˜πš˜πš— !
Jan 6, 2019 5:40 PM

Aug 2009
I've never gotten into or instigated that kind of thing before. But I know someone who did and it was really fuckin' hilarious at the time; basic gender trolling, but they, the late 2000's and early 2010's for forums were train wrecks that I couldn't look away from.

More topics from this board

» New Europe update patch notes: will you travel to the Bektashi state?

Commit_Crime - 9 hours ago

14 by Theo1899 »»
9 minutes ago

» How do you live nostalgia?

Zakatsuki_ - 8 hours ago

3 by deg »»
29 minutes ago

Poll: » the internet is full of hate? ( 1 2 )

deg - Sep 17

56 by FilthyApollo »»
38 minutes ago

Poll: » Japanese Language Proficiency Test (JLPT) ( 1 2 )

Meusnier - Aug 25

60 by Meusnier »»
43 minutes ago

» How close or not close would you be with your sibling(s) if they weren't your sibling(s)?

bucciest - 2 hours ago

2 by Lost_Viking »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.