Forum Settings
Forums

Novel 'Majo no Takkyuubin' (Kiki's Delivery Service) to Get Live Action Movie Adaptation [Update 1/16]

New
Apr 23, 2013 7:43 PM

Sep 2012
Children's novel "Majo no Takkyuubin" (Kiki's Delivery Service) will have a live action movie adaptation. The novel has six volumes altogether and was adapted into the anime movie "Majo no Takkyuubin" by Miyazaki Hayao and Studio Ghibli in 1989; however, they are not involved in this adaptation. The director is Shimizu Takashi, best known for directing the Ju-on series of horror movies. Koshiba Fuuka, 16, has been picked to play the role of Kiki, the 13-year-old protagonist. The movie will be released in theaters next spring.

Source: Sponichi, Yomiuri

Update January 16, 2014
Minako Kotobuki will be voicing Jiji in this live action movie.

Source: Anime! Anime!
Sakana-sanSep 22, 2017 4:42 PM
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Apr 23, 2013 8:09 PM

Oct 2010
what? What? WOT?!?!?!?!? i have no idea whether to be fearful of this or to be excited about this. O.o
Apr 23, 2013 8:25 PM

Aug 2011
Not sure what I think about this...
Apr 23, 2013 8:29 PM

Apr 2011
I don't know how to react 'bout this either..
Apr 23, 2013 9:45 PM
Apr 2013
My faaaaavourite movie evar getting an adaption? Hm... well I'm optimistic =D
Apr 23, 2013 10:12 PM

Jul 2012
It should be interesting to see how it turns out.
My Anime Blog: http://www.Entravity.com/
Episodic overviews of the latest anime.

Apr 23, 2013 10:22 PM

May 2011
I loved the anime movie of this, so I'll definitely give it a shot. Can't wait for it to come out. :)
Apr 23, 2013 10:53 PM

Oct 2011
Hmm I think they can pull it of quite nicely, I will at least give it a go when it comes out. I think it will be adequate regardless
Apr 23, 2013 10:54 PM

Jun 2009
You know, for all the anime I watch I don't think I've ever seen a live action movie from Japan. Maybe I'll check this out some day.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Apr 24, 2013 12:06 AM

Oct 2008
Lol im curious how it will turn out.
Apr 24, 2013 12:17 AM

Dec 2010
Ahah, I'm curious too! xD I loved the anime, I really want to see how it will turn out, though I'm not that optimistic.. xD
Apr 24, 2013 12:17 AM

Apr 2012
NOOO. I thought this was an April fools joke. I want to flip a table right now.
Apr 24, 2013 12:34 AM

Jan 2012
Ghibli is not involved with this.
My Twitter
My Tumblr - Anime Blogging on current airing season as I watch them.
My deviantArt - Anime FanArts.

Please leave replies on my profile page, as I am unlikely to see them otherwise. Thanks.
Apr 24, 2013 12:42 AM

Jun 2012
Sacrebleu ! What a curious bid o_o
Apr 24, 2013 12:44 AM

Apr 2013
Not sure... could be worth it
You Can't Take the Sky from Me
Apr 24, 2013 12:50 AM

Mar 2012
I have a slight bad feeling about this.......
[url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/SilentSuicide&sclick=1]
Apr 24, 2013 1:00 AM

Feb 2011
I don't recall anybody asking for this... I'm not going to watch it ._.
Apr 24, 2013 1:40 AM

Sep 2012
morshuwarrior said:
I don't recall anybody asking for this...
Funny, how would you know if someone asked for it or not?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Apr 24, 2013 2:04 AM

Mar 2012
The next Dragonball Evolution.

"Have you ever encounter a wild beast that guarantees to never bite anyone?" ~ Roronoa Zoro
Apr 24, 2013 2:09 AM

Jun 2011
I read somewhere that the live action will contain volume 1 and volume 2, which were not included in the anime.
Apr 24, 2013 2:40 AM

Jun 2010
Stopped reading at "Children's Novel"

Joking aside, too bad Studio Ghibli isn't involved. Probably won't watch this.
Apr 24, 2013 2:53 AM

Feb 2011
symbv said:
morshuwarrior said:
I don't recall anybody asking for this...
Funny, how would you know if someone asked for it or not?

Just joking (lame joke ._.)

Seriously though, Kiki in live action... that just sounds bad to me.
Apr 24, 2013 4:44 AM

Feb 2011
I don't know about anyone else, but I'd really like to read the novels. The anime movie is definitely one of my favorite Miyazaki films.

Maybe I'll watch this someday, who knows~
眠れないのは君のせい
Apr 24, 2013 5:29 AM

Jun 2009
Please say it ain't so

Are you the bloody applause monkey? Keep your sh*t comments to yourself or go troll on 4chan.
Apr 24, 2013 6:07 AM

Apr 2011
A live action? I feel uneasy about this.

I rather have another movie or a anime tv series.
Apr 24, 2013 7:08 AM

Jul 2010
THe books have six volumes? Wow! How much of the story was in the anime, or was the anime a Miyazaki story using the setting of the books?
Apr 24, 2013 7:20 AM

Sep 2012
zensunni said:
THe books have six volumes? Wow! How much of the story was in the anime, or was the anime a Miyazaki story using the setting of the books?
The anime in fact adapted only a small part of volume 1, mainly chapter 4 about Kiki delivering a bird cage. Kadono Eiko wrote the other five volumes only after the anime was made, from 1993 to 2002 so they did not exist when Miyazaki worked on the anime.

In fact, Miyazaki and his staff changed the story so much that at one point Kadono even wanted to cancel the project. The following is from the wiki page of the anime:

Miyazaki began significantly modifying the story, creating new ideas and changing existing ones. Majo no Takkyūbin, the original children's book by Eiko Kadono that the movie was based on, is very different from Miyazaki's finished film. Kadono's novel is more episodic, consisting of small stories about various people and incidents Kiki encounters while making deliveries. Many of the more dramatic elements, such as Kiki losing her powers or the airship incident at the film's climax, were not present in the original story. Miyazaki made these changes to give the film more of a story, and make the film about the hardships that Kiki faces while growing up; he remarked, "As movies always create a more realistic feeling, Kiki will suffer stronger setbacks and loneliness than in the original".

As a result, Kadono was unhappy with the changes that were made between the book and film, to the point that the project was in danger of being shelved at the screenplay stage. Miyazaki and Toshio Suzuki, the producer of Ghibli, went to the author's home and invited her to the film's studio. After her visit to the studio, Kadono decided to let the project continue
symbvApr 24, 2013 7:26 AM

Apr 24, 2013 8:33 AM

Dec 2012
^ nice tibits about Kiki :)

I will keep this on my radar. It's hard to forget the anime, but I always welcome new and expanded plot for Live Action. Now, we can see how this story ends as imagined by the author.
Apr 24, 2013 9:35 AM
Nov 2008
"The director is Shimizu Takashi, best known for directing the Ju-on series of horror movies."

Lol, it is gonna be a horror versión.
Apr 24, 2013 10:22 AM

Apr 2011
Well, this could be interesting. Can this Koshiba Fuuka portray the MC well though? She seems a bit too old to be able to play the role of a 13 year old.
Apr 24, 2013 11:05 AM

Sep 2011
Wow.. Kiki's Delivery Service now that is an old anime I watched it like 15 years ago.. why are they making one now of all times?.. kinda odd considering it finished a long time ago.
Apr 24, 2013 11:28 AM

Sep 2012
Sewnshut said:
Wow.. Kiki's Delivery Service now that is an old anime I watched it like 15 years ago.. why are they making one now of all times?.. kinda odd considering it finished a long time ago.
Well, many "finished" novels written decades or even centuries ago got adapted into movies. Besides, more than 90% of the novels did not make it into the anime (granted, most of them were not written when the anime was made) so it is not unthinkable that someone would be interested to make a movie out of it if he sees the potential.

Apr 24, 2013 12:10 PM

May 2008
SHIMIZU?!

THAT MAN IS A GENIUS THIS MOVIE WILL BE AMAZING.

Apr 24, 2013 3:35 PM

Mar 2013
insan3soldiern said:
You know, for all the anime I watch I don't think I've ever seen a live action movie from Japan. Maybe I'll check this out some day.

The live action Detective Conan series/movie was good to me.

But that's me.

Mirai Nikki on the other hand was awful.
Apr 24, 2013 3:36 PM

Mar 2013
Raven-san said:
The next Dragonball Evolution.

It's NOT an American adaptation so there's hope.
Apr 24, 2013 4:33 PM

Aug 2012

Kinda creepy that the director of Ju-on is gonna direct this, but I'll give this one a shot.

vannanabananaMay 19, 2013 1:28 PM
Apr 25, 2013 10:38 AM

Nov 2008
I WONDER WHY IS IT THAT ALL THE CLASSIC HAS TO HAVE A live action movie adaptation. CAN'T THEY JUST LEAVE THEM THE WAY THEY ARE.
Apr 27, 2013 9:50 PM

Apr 2010
Why? :/
May 31, 2013 6:16 AM

Sep 2012
The audition for the role of Kiki has finished. Out of more than 500 people, Koshiba Fuka, 16, was chosen to be Kiki in the live movie of "Majo no Takkyuubin". Koshiba debuted last year in a TV drama named "Iki mo dekinai Natsu". You can find her profile and her blog here: http://beamie.jp/t/fuka_koshiba.html

The movie will premiere next spring.

Source: http://eiga.com/news/20130531/2/

Jun 2, 2013 10:01 PM

Jun 2009
The Live action adaption of Samurai X wasn't up to the expectations, so I got doubts about this. Now if Kiki was purely slice of life type story like HachiKuro, then we might see something good. Although someone who saw Toki o Kakeru Shōjo (2010) sequel, they would say otherwise.

Are you the bloody applause monkey? Keep your sh*t comments to yourself or go troll on 4chan.
Jul 11, 2013 11:00 PM

Sep 2012
Poster for the movie

Jul 11, 2013 11:05 PM

Nov 2010
symbv said:
zensunni said:
The anime in fact adapted only a small part of volume 1, mainly chapter 4 about Kiki delivering a bird cage. Kadono Eiko wrote the other five volumes only after the anime was made, from 1993 to 2002 so they did not exist when Miyazaki worked on the anime.

In fact, Miyazaki and his staff changed the story so much that at one point Kadono even wanted to cancel the project. The following is from the wiki page of the anime:

Miyazaki began significantly modifying the story, creating new ideas and changing existing ones. Majo no Takkyūbin, the original children's book by Eiko Kadono that the movie was based on, is very different from Miyazaki's finished film. Kadono's novel is more episodic, consisting of small stories about various people and incidents Kiki encounters while making deliveries. Many of the more dramatic elements, such as Kiki losing her powers or the airship incident at the film's climax, were not present in the original story. Miyazaki made these changes to give the film more of a story, and make the film about the hardships that Kiki faces while growing up; he remarked, "As movies always create a more realistic feeling, Kiki will suffer stronger setbacks and loneliness than in the original".

As a result, Kadono was unhappy with the changes that were made between the book and film, to the point that the project was in danger of being shelved at the screenplay stage. Miyazaki and Toshio Suzuki, the producer of Ghibli, went to the author's home and invited her to the film's studio. After her visit to the studio, Kadono decided to let the project continue
Now you're really making me want an SoL series of it. It sounds like it would be similar to Aria.
Oct 26, 2013 2:56 AM

Jul 2012
teaser for the live action movie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsIHx6oE4eI
Oct 26, 2013 6:04 AM

Sep 2012
^ Really little information there....

Oct 30, 2013 6:32 PM

Jul 2012
yeah, no actual footage, just a teaser, though

anyway, new poster looks cute
http://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc1/q71/1004662_10153397585355075_1099776001_n.jpg
Oct 30, 2013 9:07 PM

Sep 2012
Fans in Japan mostly comment that the girl does not look loli enough though lol

Nov 6, 2013 12:07 AM

Sep 2012
The new video has a bit more footage at the end, but still looks unimpressive

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1QONeQq_0A

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

» GoHands Produces Original TV Anime 'Momentary Lily' for Winter 2025

DatRandomDude - Apr 25

17 by RobertBobert »»
6 minutes ago

» 'Overlord: Sei Oukoku-hen' Movie Reveals Additional Cast, Trailer, Fall 2024 Premiere

Doshigatai - Mar 22

5 by Entity72 »»
2 hours ago

» '2.5-jigen no Ririsa' Reveals Additional Pair of Cast, Two Consecutive Cours

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

6 by DarkDooM2 »»
5 hours ago

» 'Yuri!!! on Ice: Ice Adolescence' Anime Movie Cancels Production ( 1 2 )

DatRandomDude - Apr 18

98 by RobertBobert »»
8 hours ago

» 'One Piece' Anime Gets Remake by WIT Studio ( 1 2 )

Hyperion_PS - Dec 17, 2023

81 by ExtremeT »»
Yesterday, 8:52 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.