Forum Settings
Forums

Japanese Army To Display a Real Tank at a Live Event of Girls und Panzer

New
Mar 13, 2013 2:55 AM

Feb 2008
According to the official Twitter account of Oarai Tourist Association, Japan Ground Self-Defense Force (JGSDF) will display a Type 74 main battle tank at Oarai Kairaku Festival to be held on March 24th. Oarai City is the model town of Girls und Panzer and the festival features the tank anime. JGSDF Camp Tsuchiura said they could have brought their tank to Oarai Anglerfish Festival held last November if they had known the live event of Girls und Panzer a few months earlier. They tried to bring the newest Type 10 MBT but couldn't due to the concern about possible damages to the expensive tank.

Sources: Oarai Tourist Association official Twitter Account, Niconico News
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Mar 13, 2013 3:13 AM

Jun 2010
That is HARDCORE
Mar 13, 2013 3:24 AM

Apr 2011
O..o Awesome! xD
Mar 13, 2013 3:33 AM
Jan 2010
army helping on tourism? why not?
but seriously that's awesome
Mar 13, 2013 3:34 AM

Mar 2012
-MgZ_ said:
That is HARDCORE
My thoughts exactly
Mar 13, 2013 4:00 AM

Sep 2012
dtshyk said:
...They tried to bring the newest Type 10 MBT but couldn't due to the concern about possible damages to the expensive tank.

Apparently they don't make tanks as tough as before... If a tank might be damaged by some otaku I hate to think how they'd hold up under fire LOL
hpulleyMar 13, 2013 4:10 AM
Mar 13, 2013 4:01 AM

Mar 2012
That is so epic XD Not sure if I should watch the anime or not though, I don't really like wars and stuff, apart from Halo that is
[url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/SilentSuicide&sclick=1]
Mar 13, 2013 4:04 AM

Sep 2012
SilentSuicide said:
That is so epic XD Not sure if I should watch the anime or not though, I don't really like wars and stuff, apart from Halo that is

They do tank games in the anime so it is more like a school sports anime, just with historically accurate tanks. Still may not be your thing but I suggest you try it.
Mar 13, 2013 4:06 AM

Oct 2007
hpulley said:
dtshyk said:
...They tried to bring the newest Type 10 MBT but couldn't due to the concern about possible damages to the expensive tank.

Apparently they don't make tanks as tough as before... If a tank might be damaged by some otaku I hate to think how they'd hold up under fire LOL
this made you think if they were making a tank for fashion or fighting.

"A Legend is but a tale of a beautiful lie."
Mar 13, 2013 4:10 AM

Aug 2012
hpulley said:
dtshyk said:

That was my first thought...

Damages? Really? Do they think anime watchers carry thermite around with em or something?
كنت تهدر وقتك عن طريق ترجمة هذه.

mattbenz99 said:
Christians and Satanists are technically the same thing
Mar 13, 2013 4:10 AM

Sep 2012
Military in Japan really love anime. It is well known that you can easily find anime fans in SDF. They played anime music in their public maneuver performance event. They have helicopter that has anime character printed on it:

I think US military should get away from macho stereotype image and start to love anime as well.
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Mar 13, 2013 4:13 AM

Jun 2007
Goryo said:
hpulley said:
dtshyk said:

Damages? Really? Do they think anime watchers carry thermite around with em or something?

I think it's more about vandalism than physical damage. The JSDF isn't exactly rolling in the dough, costs to fix something like that aren't cheap when you're talking about something coated in special and expensive materials. If it was a warzone, sure you can overlook something like that until you're back to safety - but it's not a warzone, and it'll have to be back to 100% condition the moment it returns to base. When they do things they do it properly so that it can be removed later and/or on units that won't actually be used just about ever (not that they use most of their stuff in the first place, but it's much further down the queue), not their newest model stuff and not without preparation and proper materials.

Having some asshole put shit on there or something would cost a lot of money to have fixed completely.
TallonKarrde23Mar 13, 2013 4:20 AM
Mar 13, 2013 4:26 AM

Aug 2010
No high school girls operating it for an exhibition drive? I'm quite disappointed.

Jokes aside, it's always nice to see GuP get more publicity.
Mar 13, 2013 5:23 AM

Dec 2011
This made me want to play more World of Tanks....
Mar 13, 2013 5:33 AM

Sep 2012
Mogami-kun said:
No high school girls operating it for an exhibition drive? I'm quite disappointed.

Jokes aside, it's always nice to see GuP get more publicity.

The Nanayon is too new for senshado anyway, let alone the Hitomaru tanks LOL
Mar 13, 2013 5:35 AM

Feb 2012
I want a serious answer not just an opinion. Is GuP a good anime? Objectively speaking.
Mar 13, 2013 5:42 AM

Jul 2012
I thought the Japanese hated this sort of anime gatherings.

IceBurn said:
I want a serious answer not just an opinion. Is GuP a good anime? Objectively speaking.

There is no such thing as objectivity in anime.
Critic.
Mar 13, 2013 5:45 AM

Sep 2012
Niko-kun said:
Based on what you got that impression?

IceBurn said:
I want a serious answer not just an opinion. Do you have good taste? Objectively speaking.

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Mar 13, 2013 5:51 AM

Feb 2012
symbv said:
Niko-kun said:
Based on what you got that impression?

IceBurn said:
I want a serious answer not just an opinion. Do you have good taste? Objectively speaking.
Ughh i see your point. Well shouldnt hurt to give a try.
Mar 13, 2013 5:53 AM
Dec 2012
awesome! Its really nice if an army help for tourism and even using anime, lol
Mar 13, 2013 6:00 AM
Feb 2012
Panzer vor!
The release of atomic energy has not created a new problem. It has merely made more urgent the necessity of solving an existing one. - Albert Einstein
Mar 13, 2013 6:07 AM

Jan 2012
At the risk of sounding hardcore weeaboo here, sometimes I just love this stupid country. Rest of the world better not try messing with the japanese again, I'm sure their army picked up lots of awesome strategys from GuP.
Mar 13, 2013 6:10 AM

Feb 2012
So even the JSDF has otakus.

Badass.
Mar 13, 2013 6:11 AM

Sep 2012
IceBurn said:
symbv said:
IceBurn said:
Well, I can give you something different if you want to read more about Girls und Panzer. I wrote some longish posts in a previous BD/DVD Sales thread in MAL about why GuP became so successful. You can check here to have a look: http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=563647&show=20#msg20263171
If you are still interested after reading it you can check the later posts I made within that thread for a debate about the appeal of this anime.

Mar 13, 2013 6:14 AM

Sep 2012
MidnightPride said:
"Even" is not the right word - It is commonly said that in JSDF there are more otakus proportion-wise compared to general population.

Mar 13, 2013 6:14 AM

Feb 2012
symbv said:
IceBurn said:
symbv said:
IceBurn said:
Well, I can give you something different if you want to read more about Girls und Panzer. I wrote some longish posts in a previous BD/DVD Sales thread in MAL about why GuP became so successful. You can check here to have a look: http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=563647&show=20#msg20263171
If you are still interested after reading it you can check the later posts I made within that thread for a debate about the appeal of this anime.
Alright thanks, ill give it a read. This isnt usually my thing but i dont see harm in watching it. Thanks again ^^.
Mar 13, 2013 6:34 AM

Mar 2011
Wow, even Japanese army support Girls und Panzer
Mar 13, 2013 6:39 AM

Feb 2012
symbv said:
MidnightPride said:
"Even" is not the right word - It is commonly said that in JSDF there are more otakus proportion-wise compared to general population.

Didn't know that. Interesting o.o
Mar 13, 2013 7:39 AM

Nov 2012
Japan is just too awesome!
'Once an Arsenal man, always an Arsenal man.' - Bob Wilson.

Mar 13, 2013 8:06 AM

Feb 2010
Niko-kun said:

IceBurn said:

There is no such thing as objectivity in anime.

Almost 30k sales sound quite objective to me :P

Anyway, I enjoyed this news though I share the puzzledness about them worrying that the tank will be damaged.
I probably regret this post by now.
Mar 13, 2013 8:23 AM

Dec 2011
TallonKarrde23 said:
Goryo said:
hpulley said:
dtshyk said:

I think it's more about vandalism than physical damage. The JSDF isn't exactly rolling in the dough, costs to fix something like that aren't cheap when you're talking about something coated in special and expensive materials. If it was a warzone, sure you can overlook something like that until you're back to safety - but it's not a warzone, and it'll have to be back to 100% condition the moment it returns to base. When they do things they do it properly so that it can be removed later and/or on units that won't actually be used just about ever (not that they use most of their stuff in the first place, but it's much further down the queue), not their newest model stuff and not without preparation and proper materials.

Having some asshole put shit on there or something would cost a lot of money to have fixed completely.

You'd have to have some balls to vandalize a fucking army tank with soldiers watching your every move.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 13, 2013 8:29 AM

Jan 2012
I thought it was more about them being worried about the tank getting damaged while being transported or something.

I seriously can't imagine GuP loving anime otaku to be the type of people who would vandalize tanks. Don't make me lose my faith in humanity.
Mar 13, 2013 9:06 AM

May 2012
Nice.

If the event will be successful and the featured tank in the event doesn't get damaged, maybe they will permit the Type 10 in the next event.
Mar 13, 2013 10:50 AM

Jan 2011
With all of this popularity it better get a season 2.
[center]
Mar 13, 2013 12:08 PM

Aug 2008
GuiltyKing said:
Panzer vor!
Panzer ficken Vor!
Mar 13, 2013 12:11 PM
Mar 2013
Not impressed ! .. come to syria And I'm ready to give you not one, but two T-80 tanks
true story ;)
Mar 13, 2013 2:24 PM

Sep 2012
Still waiting on more episodes... and they have their events... yay?
Mar 13, 2013 3:44 PM

Sep 2012
vakibo said:
Still waiting on more episodes... and they have their events... yay?

Well, this event is the day before the finale and the next volume comes out that week, still have to stump for the Blu rays right??? Riiiight, this one is selling itself...
Mar 13, 2013 4:25 PM

Oct 2012
Only the amazing country of Japan would do something like this for all their otakus. Wish I could see the tank. It would be so awesome *w*

Mar 13, 2013 4:37 PM

Nov 2012
I was kinda hoping that whoever brought this Hetzer to E3 2011 would also bring it (or even better: a PzIV, there's gotta be some functional ones around) to the event.

Imagine if they repainted that Hetzer and put Oorai emblems on it and drove it around the event grounds...the crowd would go nuts.
Mar 13, 2013 6:29 PM

Oct 2011
Japan is amazing in so many ways, lol!!
Signature
Mar 13, 2013 9:26 PM
Oct 2012
IceBurn said:

Hard to say since it depends so much on taste, BUT I have noticed that people who do not like GuP only tip at 10%, tend to beat their dogs, and have halitosis. Those who enjoy it, all seem to have IQ's two standard deviations above the average. Not saying this means anything, or one side is more correct than the other, just stating my observations.

As for a serious answer, if you can get over the concept that learning to operate a tank is a feminine trait on par with naginata, then yes GuP is an excellent animation. Or if you like Saki, then GuP is likewise an excellent animation. Though perhaps excellent is over stating it, but it is certainly one of the most enjoyable animations I have seen in a while.
Mar 13, 2013 9:42 PM

Apr 2010
Very cool.

And yeah, I might be a little concerned about the Type-10, too. Especially if you're gonna have people and kids climbing all around the outside of that thing. Since they don't have very many of them and they're very expensive. Since they cost a few million dollars more to build than the M1-Abrams.

Mar 14, 2013 1:05 AM
Sep 2012
dtshyk said:
JGSDF Camp Tsuchiura said they could have brought their tank to Oarai Anglerfish Festival held last November if they had known the live event of Girls und Panzer a few months earlier. They tried to bring the newest Type 10 MBT but couldn't due to the concern about possible damages to the expensive tank.
It's funny that a tank that's built for war can't handle the streets of Japan without getting some damage. LOL
Mar 14, 2013 2:01 AM

Apr 2011
A REAL TANK! O_O

Now that's some excellent stuff just for an anime.
"I left everything I own in One Piece" ~ Gol D. Roger
Mar 14, 2013 7:01 AM

Dec 2007
SatelliteCannon said:
I was kinda hoping that whoever brought this Hetzer to E3 2011 would also bring it (or even better: a PzIV, there's gotta be some functional ones around) to the event.

Imagine if they repainted that Hetzer and put Oorai emblems on it and drove it around the event grounds...the crowd would go nuts.
There are some anime conventions they could bring it to if Sentai Filmworks were to promote Girls und Panzer and wanted a tank or two that was used in the series to display.
Mar 14, 2013 10:23 AM

Feb 2012
hahha really? LOL
Mar 14, 2013 3:54 PM

Jun 2009
symbv said:
Military in Japan really love anime. It is well known that you can easily find anime fans in SDF. They played anime music in their public maneuver performance event. They have helicopter that has anime character printed on it:

I think US military should get away from macho stereotype image and start to love anime as well.

That is awesome also I hope it is team 1s tank if it is that would be awesome.
Mar 14, 2013 8:56 PM
Mar 2009
Wut.

I should really watch this soon. This anime seems to bring about the craziest shenanigans in the real world.
Mar 14, 2013 11:42 PM

Jul 2012
Too gud. These things make me smile.
My Anime Blog: http://www.Entravity.com/
Episodic overviews of the latest anime.

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» 'Overlord: Sei Oukoku-hen' Movie Reveals Additional Cast, Trailer, Fall 2024 Premiere

Doshigatai - Mar 22

5 by Entity72 »»
1 hour ago

» '2.5-jigen no Ririsa' Reveals Additional Pair of Cast, Two Consecutive Cours

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

6 by DarkDooM2 »»
3 hours ago

» 'Yuri!!! on Ice: Ice Adolescence' Anime Movie Cancels Production ( 1 2 )

DatRandomDude - Apr 18

98 by RobertBobert »»
6 hours ago

» 'One Piece' Anime Gets Remake by WIT Studio ( 1 2 )

Hyperion_PS - Dec 17, 2023

81 by ExtremeT »»
11 hours ago

» Manga 'Oniichan wa Oshimai!' Gets TV Anime

Vindstot - Apr 21, 2022

44 by Lenoksu »»
Yesterday, 3:24 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.