Forum Settings
Forums

Subtitles can distract you so much from the actual anime...

New
Pages (8) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
Feb 4, 2014 2:45 PM

Jun 2013
I just realized that If you're blind in one eye, it can make this super hard for you as well. I'm blind in my left eye and I have to wear thick glasses. I guess that's why I have a hard time comprehending both at the same time sometimes.
Feb 4, 2014 3:02 PM

Dec 2013
The only time I've had any trouble is when two people talking at once for longer periods or material references that flash simultaneously with dialogue. Even then I can usually get 90% percent of it. It helps to avoid mentally sounding out each word as you read, which is also a speed reading trick.
Feb 4, 2014 3:09 PM
Jan 2014
I find that I'm unable to remember side characters names when watching subbed anime, however if i watch a series in dub, i usually won't forget a single name
Feb 4, 2014 3:16 PM
Dec 2011
i watch raw no problem here or dub if voice is better than original
Feb 4, 2014 3:20 PM

May 2013
My eyes kind of just pass over the subs and understand them immediately, so I pay plenty of attention to what's on screen.
My anime blog
Latest Post: The Zero Requiem (Analysis of the Ending of Code Geass)
Feb 4, 2014 3:22 PM

Feb 2013
Not really, if you can read you won't miss nothing.
Feb 4, 2014 5:02 PM
Apr 2010
No..?
Learn how to read subtitles quicker or switch to English dubs.
Feb 4, 2014 5:13 PM
Jul 2018
It's fine for me so long as the subtitles don't move at lightspeed or the characters don't say 6 sentences in 2 seconds. Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei had this problem. The main character just talked way too fast sometimes. Luckily, VLC has a slowdown feature so I made it bearable but it was pretty bad before I did that.
Feb 4, 2014 5:19 PM

Feb 2013
Yessss this absolutely true. Anime has always been about backgrounds, labored backgrounds that will probably be only on the screen for 0.4 seconds and it's a shame that I can't appreciate it more or any of the other artistic choices for that matter. That being said, I have rewatched episodes and moments that I found very beautiful without subs after initially watching to soak it in.
Feb 4, 2014 5:22 PM

Aug 2009
DesolateOne said:
I recently realized how much subtitles can affect your focus towards the anime's story and character dialogues. You miss out on the visual and audio portion of the show more than you think. Those who know Japanese are probably better able to get a deeper understanding of the shows than those who read using subtitles.

Just yesterday I watched episode 7 of Sankarea without paying a lot of attention to subtitles. I paid more attention to how they expressed their words through their vocal projection and body language.

There are some studios that seemingly interpret their anime's manga counterpart so well that I can't help but praise them. I feel as if I can now figure out which studio does better in terms of adapting a manga into an anime.

What are your thoughts on this? Have you guys tried to pay more attention to the subtle details in the show or do you sometimes/always run through the dialogue without much afterthought?

I do believe that subs distract. I have noticed that when I watch dubs I do notice a lot more stuff going on in the anime.Although it could also be due to the fact I watched the same anime twice,first the subbed version and then a year or two late the dubbed version.
Feb 4, 2014 5:29 PM

Dec 2012
Kirishiro-chan said:
I just realized that If you're blind in one eye, it can make this super hard for you as well. I'm blind in my left eye and I have to wear thick glasses. I guess that's why I have a hard time comprehending both at the same time sometimes.

Yep, same here, I have a lot of trouble reading things quickly because of a bad eye. I am able to read most of the left side of the screen, but when I get to a certain point I lose focus and by the time I refocus and find where I left off the text disappears and is replaced by more. I compensate by just using the "Pause" button a whole hell of a lot if subtitled is the only option.
KruszerFeb 11, 2014 3:32 PM
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Feb 4, 2014 5:37 PM

Dec 2009
Kruszer said:
I compensate by just using the "Pause" button a whole hell of a lot if subtitled is the only option.
Wow, that sucks. Might as well just read manga or watch dubs. It might help your situation.
Feb 4, 2014 5:39 PM

Nov 2010
Culex said:
Kruszer said:
I compensate by just using the "Pause" button a whole hell of a lot if subtitled is the only option.
Wow, that sucks. Might as well just read manga or watch dubs. It might help your situation.
I believe he already prefers dubbed. That's why he said when subtitled is the only option.
Feb 4, 2014 5:58 PM

Jan 2014
If the subs are bad, then they can turn decenet or mediocre anime into a masterpiece.
Feb 4, 2014 6:10 PM

Feb 2014
I would watch subs but since I am not a fast reader I watch dubbed. I really should have read more as a child. Wonder if by reading more now I can become faster at reading.
Feb 4, 2014 6:18 PM

Oct 2013
Thank you!!! I thought I was the only one. I only watch subs because I have to, that's it.

MegaToxic said:
I would watch subs but since I am not a fast reader I watch dubbed. I really should have read more as a child. Wonder if by reading more now I can become faster at reading.

Even if you read fast you will still not see certain things, when u are watching the sub version.

Mod Edit: double post merged.
ThangLongFeb 10, 2014 10:29 AM
Feb 4, 2014 6:20 PM
Lilium Gardener

Jul 2011
Interesting that so many people even notice they are reading subtitles. I've watched enough subbed anime that I don't even notice subtitles. I read them naturally and forget they are even there.
Feb 4, 2014 6:21 PM

Jan 2013
I prefer subs, I can read and watch at the same time. It doesn't bother me.
Feb 4, 2014 9:25 PM

Dec 2009
Peripheral vision. It is my friend! Along with fast reading, pausing, and rewinding I prefer subtitled. Audio is what is important to me. Voices especially, which is why I prefer to watch it in Japanese.

Feb 4, 2014 9:33 PM
Nov 2012
i recently started to watch dub animes and i've realized i enjoy and understand everything going on in the anime more, im starting to like dubs more than subs. Ahahah
Feb 4, 2014 9:42 PM

Jun 2013
R2na said:
i recently started to watch dub animes and i've realized i enjoy and understand everything going on in the anime more, im starting to like dubs more than subs. Ahahah
Yeah I agree. However, I sure wish I knew Japanese so that I would be able to watch it raw, but even then, It would take years to learn such a language. In my opinion, Subs and Dubs are equal. Because these days, there are very good dubs, just look at Steins;Gate.
Feb 4, 2014 9:49 PM

Dec 2013
It's a sacrifice worth making - rather than watching dubs.
Feb 4, 2014 9:53 PM

Oct 2012
lern2read
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Feb 4, 2014 9:57 PM

Mar 2012
English subtitles i read kind of slow cuz my first language is mandarin but most of the anime i watch r in Chinese subtitles so i can read super fast. (Like 10~20 letters in 1~3sec)
Feb 4, 2014 9:58 PM

Jun 2013
Katsumonogatari said:
lern2read
Well, what if the person is half blind? I mean i'm blind in my left eye and it really is hard to keep up with both the subtitles and the anime itself at once. But then again I do wear thick glasses.
Feb 4, 2014 10:02 PM

Oct 2012
Kirishiro-chan said:
Katsumonogatari said:
lern2read
Well, what if the person is half blind? I mean i'm blind in my left eye and it really is hard to keep up with both the subtitles and the anime itself at once. But then again I do wear thick glasses.
Are your subtitles on the left side or the bottom?
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Feb 4, 2014 10:02 PM

Nov 2010
Kirishiro-chan said:
Katsumonogatari said:
lern2read
Walk it off.
Feb 4, 2014 10:10 PM

Jul 2012
The number of people not noticing the age of this post is too high.

Anywho, I do find subtitles at least a little distracting. I want to view the whole picture clean as can be, and let the visuals settle in, and subtitles make this harder for me. I still can watch subtitled anime though.
Feb 4, 2014 10:16 PM

Jun 2013
Katsumonogatari said:
Kirishiro-chan said:
Katsumonogatari said:
lern2read
Are your subtitles on the left side or the bottom?
Bottom. But when in fullscreen it stretches all the way across the whole bottom, making impossible to read it all at once, especially when the subs has a paragraph to read for some of the dialogue in some scenes where there are a lot of talking going on. I use MPC-HC for watching Anime. Right now I am watching like 4 different animes but the one that pisses me off the most with it's stretching subtitles across the screen is Oreimo, but it has static subs (think that's the name of the group for the subs) and it is really annoying in some scenes where it is pretty much impossible to keep up.
Feb 10, 2014 8:12 AM

Sep 2011
I'm fine with reading subtitles, but I'll admit it sometimes ruins the visual aspect of certain anime films/shows for me (not talking about the high-quality animation, but works that actually rely on a very visual narrative). This isn't so much an issue of quick-reading, but how it looks in terms of what you can see in the entire screen and how it affects the setup of certain scenes. As a very visual person (especially as someone who can get a little too obsessed with mis-en-scene), it kind of kills some of the mood and visual aspects of the cinematography for me when there's a huge chunk of text that's eating up parts of the screen. I should mention that I'm basically nit-picking at this point as I have no problems reading subs (helps that I've watched anime long enough to recognize some Japanese words/phrases and not even glance at the subs when that happens), rather I just wish that some subs are formatted more properly/thoroughly to avoid clogging up the screen with text so I can enjoy a show in all its visual glory.
ronriFeb 10, 2014 8:22 AM
Feb 10, 2014 8:16 AM
May 2009
I only glance at them only time they distract me is when there are footnotes.
Feb 10, 2014 8:18 AM

Jan 2014
Kirishiro-chan said:
Katsumonogatari said:
lern2read

In the shinobi world, you steal a nice pair of sharingan.
I MURDERED OUR ENTIRE CLAN UMAD SAUCEGAYYYYYYYYY UMAD?¿
http://foolishbrother.chatango.com/
Feb 10, 2014 8:40 AM
Oct 2013
Yvese said:
That and you can always use peripheral vision. Just because you're looking at the subs doesn't mean you can't see what's happening on-screen. After watching a lot of subbed anime it's become second nature.
Feb 10, 2014 8:44 AM

Apr 2011
I disagree.

It doesn't distract the audio if what you are hearing is the same thing you are reading (same language subtitle)

It doesn't matter if you don't understand the language in the audio (anime)

I personally can listen to the music and read subtitles at the same time with no problems

But you do miss out some of the animation, but 95% of the time the characters don't move when they are talking so it doesn't really matter that much.

in the worst case you can just rewatch the scene you missed, it's not that big of a deal.
Feb 10, 2014 8:54 AM
Jul 2013
that's why you watch dubs time to time.
Feb 10, 2014 8:56 AM

Mar 2013
Anon1409 said:
It's a sacrifice worth making - rather than watching dubs.

that is your opinion

Valaskjalf said:
I disagree.

It doesn't distract the audio if what you are hearing is the same thing you are reading (same language subtitle)

I personally can listen to the music and read subtitles at the same time with no problems

But you do miss out some of the animation, but 95% of the time the characters don't move when they are talking so it doesn't really matter that much.

in the worst case you can just rewatch the scene you missed, it's not that big of a deal.

that is still 5% of the time you do miss something

Mod Edit: double post merged.
ThangLongFeb 10, 2014 10:31 AM
Just because you know how to use a torrent does not give you the god given right to pirate.

My actual list: https://kitsu.io/users/mattbenz99/library

check out my youtube channel for my review: https://www.youtube.com/user/mattbenz99

Feb 10, 2014 9:00 AM

Jun 2009
mattbenz99 said:
Valaskjalf said:
I disagree.

Right. But, like he said you can always rewind.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Feb 10, 2014 9:02 AM

Mar 2013
insan3Spectre said:
mattbenz99 said:
Valaskjalf said:
I disagree.

Right. But, like he said you can always rewind.

why should i have to rewind when i can just watch a dub and hear 100% of it without ever having to rewind
Just because you know how to use a torrent does not give you the god given right to pirate.

check out my youtube channel for my review: https://www.youtube.com/user/mattbenz99

Feb 10, 2014 9:02 AM
Jul 2013
^ Because subs for life am I right?

Mod Edit: quote tower fixed.
ThangLongFeb 10, 2014 10:33 AM
Feb 10, 2014 9:05 AM

Mar 2013
Sung-Hwan said:
Because subs for life am I right?

ya because subs are always so much better acted than those baka american actors there is also no exception to this rule (sarcasm)

ThangLongFeb 10, 2014 10:35 AM

Feb 10, 2014 9:06 AM

Jan 2014
mattbenz99 said:

lal dub elitist.
Feb 10, 2014 9:07 AM

Jan 2014
It's subs or watching it raw.....Anyways I'm not one to be bothered by this.
Feb 10, 2014 9:08 AM

Jun 2009
mattbenz99 said:
why should i have to rewind when i can just watch a dub and hear 100% of it without ever having to rewind

Christ man, you act like it's tough to rewind or something. And, are you saying you have never re-winded a dub or english movie just to make sure you understood a scene correctly?

ThangLongFeb 10, 2014 10:35 AM
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Feb 10, 2014 9:08 AM

Mar 2013
Forgetfulness said:
Hear 100% of a localized translation, sure

i feel like localization is just a dub hater standard excuse to bash dubs. i mean i doubt most of the people who use it as an excuse really know what it means. most dubbing companies are not 4kids. they dont localize and on the rare occasion when they do it is because there is no way to translate something and not because they hate the material or whatever you dub haters believe

ThangLongFeb 10, 2014 10:37 AM

Feb 10, 2014 9:09 AM

Feb 2013
If you can read you won't miss anything.
Feb 10, 2014 9:09 AM

Mar 2013
Otouto said:
Christ man, you act like it's tough to rewind or something. And, are you saying you have never re-winded a dub or english movie just to make sure you understood a scene correctly?

you make it sound like watching a dub is a war crime and should never be done under any circumstances

ThangLongFeb 10, 2014 10:37 AM

Feb 10, 2014 9:11 AM

Jan 2014
Forgetfulness said:
mattbenz99 said:
i feel like localization is just a dub hater standard excuse to bash dubs. i mean i doubt most of the people who use it as an excuse really know what it means. most dubbing companies are not 4kids. they dont localize and on the rare occasion when they do it is because there is no way to translate something and not because they hate the material or whatever you dub haters believe
Oh, it's an excuse if I want to get a translation that is as close to the actual meaning as possible?

Okaaaayyy, and I'll just "feel" that not being able to read fast enough is "just a dumb sub hater excuse for those who are illiterate and/or uneducated"
unless you actual have some problem preventing you from reading

Like having your pair of sharingan forcefully taken from you.
Feb 10, 2014 9:12 AM

Jun 2009
mattbenz99 said:

you make it sound like watching a dub is a war crime and should never be done under any circumstances

Woah, wait....what? When the hell did I ever say that or even imply it? I'm just saying it isn't that difficult to rewind subtitles.

- Geralt of Rivia
Pages (8) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Is it weird to enjoy 3D Anime more than 2D Anime ?

tchitchouan - 3 hours ago

34 by tchitchouan »»
33 seconds ago

» Who are your enemies in the anime industry/fanbase? ( 1 2 3 )

Catalano - Apr 25

111 by Kenzolo-folk »»
3 minutes ago

» What does the Anime you watch say about you

ST63LTH - Yesterday

19 by animejas »»
4 minutes ago

» Why male characters tend to have more interesting personalities than female characters? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 26

57 by APolygons2 »»
5 minutes ago

» Why do people like consuming media watching specifically opposite sex get together? ( 1 2 )

Oshieteoshiete4 - Yesterday

61 by EverRealm »»
8 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.