Forum Settings
Forums
Sword Art Online Progressive (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »
Aug 31, 2022 5:13 AM
Jun 2022
masterpiece anime
Sep 4, 2022 5:34 PM
Dec 2008
I prefer original animation in most cases (only boss look better, not like in mmos from 2000's), but not like changes in story to put one person more. And this plants with fruit... it was part of different story, reusing assets... sad. Overall I like book Progressive because even when it change story it showing a lot more. This was other perspective same story... and that they cut moment when Kirito saw naked Asuna...
Sep 4, 2022 6:04 PM

Jul 2016
sedziwoj said:
I prefer original animation in most cases (only boss look better, not like in mmos from 2000's), but not like changes in story to put one person more. And this plants with fruit... it was part of different story, reusing assets... sad. Overall I like book Progressive because even when it change story it showing a lot more. This was other perspective same story... and that they cut moment when Kirito saw naked Asuna...

Exactly, the reusing assets/scenes part is just straight up shameful in my opinion, considering the duration of the movie, and there's the part that the novel story is just way better and probably the best SAO we ever got.

In most cases, the MAL Average Scores don't mean anything, here is a question: were the works made before 2000 all shit?
Why are they so damn scarce in the Top 50? Think about how MAL is quite literally a filtered amount of the Anime fanbase.

Here's a timeline of the Top 15 in which you can check that, almost always, the scores are affected by the freshness, popularity and other factors that have nothing to do with quality.

Sep 5, 2022 11:59 AM
Feb 2022
It was a bit of a scam because it's only like the first 3 chapters of the anime not all of the SAO arc
Sep 6, 2022 7:44 AM
Jul 2017
Grandiosa película! Una animación perfecta y una historia que ya se sabia perfecta. Me encanta poder ver el punto de vista de Asuna y poder conocer nuevos personajes, puntos de vista y tramas.
Que intriga la chica que aparece al final...
Me encanto la pelea contra el boss final. Y mira que solo es el primer boss. Volver a escuchar esa canción, esa banda sonora, me ha puesto los pelos de punta.
Que ganas de ver la siguiente entrega para poder seguir disfrutando de esta saga.
pi
Que buena fue la sonrisa de Kirito justo en el ultimo switch de la batalla contra el boss. Epicardo.
OtakuDeprimido

Sep 15, 2022 12:17 PM
Mar 2021
same ass boring shit
Sep 21, 2022 8:35 AM

Jan 2013
Fantastic addition to the series and as a standalone it works even better.
Mito as a new character was fine, I liked the relationship Asuna had with her.
Loved the sound design and art / animation but we've come to expect this from the latest SAO series.

Solid 9/10
Sep 27, 2022 6:32 PM

Mar 2015
warm colors and pleasing art style, asuna looks great
Oct 1, 2022 3:01 AM
Dec 2018
Didn't nerve gear require the irl physical body stats/scan to create an account? How did Asuna just login
My Candies:
Oct 1, 2022 4:27 AM
Jul 2018
SAO was one of the first anime I watched and today I finally watched SAO Progressive Aria of a Starless Night and loved it this movie is awesome
removed-userOct 1, 2022 4:38 AM
Oct 5, 2022 9:09 AM
Jul 2017
This is a very SAO anime. Nothing wrong with that. Was pretty good. If one likes the series, you should watch it. Might be a good beginner start to the franchise as well. Look forward to the sequel.
Oct 8, 2022 1:46 PM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
A return, at the beginning, at the base of this saga, with the innocence of the main characters before a vast world to discover!!!

7/10 kekeke
Oct 17, 2022 11:13 AM
Jun 2017
I know its wrong but i really enjoy SAO
Oct 20, 2022 8:03 AM

Jan 2018
SAO was one of the first anime I watched. So watching this was very nostalgic.

SAO isn't really that good. The more anime I watched the more I started disliking SAO. Especially the parts that take place after the Aincrad arc. I don't think I like any of them. People have been saying Alicization was good and while it was definitely a lot better than the dumpsterfire that was SAOII and SAO S1's Fairy Dance arc, it definitely wasn't a good anime on its own. It still had cliches, a confusing plot, cringe characters, etc.
Despite all of that, I still liked the Aincrad arc of SAO even though it had its own problems. And it's also the part of SAO that... actually fucking takes place in SAO. After watching SAOII I read the manga adaptation of SAO Progressive after being recommended and was hooked for a decent while until I couldn't keep up with the updates anymore. At the time I never could've expected Progressive to be getting its own anime adaptation. But considering how big of a cash cow this franchise is, I guess it was obvious.

So watching a readaptation of what's arguably the best and the most exciting part of SAO was really good.
I know it's been a while but I'm pretty sure there wasn't a character called Misumi in the source material. For an original character, she really enhanced the flow of this story. I thought she was gonna die in a cliche way and become Asuna's new motivation or something. But instead, she betrayed her and instead of being shunned, she was redeemed in the end. Probably the last we'll see of her though.

Loved the focus on Asuna. It was funny to see autistic Kirito. The worst aspect of SAO is probably the main character being the blandest Gary Stu in all of fiction. So I enjoyed him before he inevitably becomes the cringey haremfuker like in the original anime. Sadly the focus will probably shift toward him over Asuna in the sequels. Speaking of sequels, the pace of this story is slow as fuck. This whole movie cleared 1 floor out of 100. He even had the chance of rewriting it with Progressive but nope. 100 floors is 100 floors for some godforsaken reason. IIRC the pacing in the source material isn't much better either. Progressive tackles each floor one by one instead of time-skipping like the original. Reki Kawahara dug his own grave writing 100 floors in SAO instead of something more reasonable like 10 or 20. Or maybe this was his plan all along so he could keep milking this series till his death? No one knows what goated authors like Reki Kawahara or Reiji Miyamura have in their minds... It's safe to assume I won't see the ending of Progressive in my lifetime.

Anyways, fun movie. It can only go downhill from here. Though there should be some fun moments going ahead based on some things I remember reading years ago.
0451Oct 20, 2022 8:07 AM
Oct 26, 2022 11:38 AM

Mar 2015
Honestly, I liked it. Feels like this movie gave Asuna a bit more character. Also gave her relationship with Kirito a bit more depth. Animation was good, the last fight scene was animated beautifully.
Nov 5, 2022 11:20 AM
Jul 2022
Mizuki1221 said:
“Aniplex of America has licensed the film for release in North American theaters in 2021. Funimation later announced they were teaming up with Aniplex to theatrically distribute the film in the United States and Canada on December 3, Australia and New Zealand on December 9, and at an unknown date in the United Kingdom and Ireland with plans to screen the film in both Japanese with English subtitles and an English dub.” Source Wikipedia (so take this info with a grain of salt)

Been waiting to see this movie forever. Anyone know if theres a way to see online?
Nov 10, 2022 4:46 AM
Mar 2019
Maravilhoso, uma perspectiva nova do autor de mudar o "original". Mas afinal, foi próprio autor que mudou, então tudo certo. Uma melhora positiva.
Nov 19, 2022 6:10 AM

Mar 2019
I enjoyed this over the original, even if we got a new character and not that much was changed given that the first floor was good, but this makes Asuna better for me. We never got to know why she tried SAO and she didn't really look like a person who would. Also Misumi is great, I like her design, not so much her decision to leave. I don't know how great I would feel if my only friend in that closed world died.

I would go as far as to hope that Liz and Silica don't exist in this "world" or at least have them be likeable.

Seems like Kirito still kept his Beater title and sadly Diavel didn't accept the potion this time either. Kind of sad to see Misumi not go with Asuna and Kirito.
Alex_TheForestNov 19, 2022 6:21 AM
Come on man,where is that Noragami season 3 masterpiece.We want it, Bones!

Nov 27, 2022 11:45 AM

Feb 2014
Started promising Asuna and Mito´s relationship, but suddenly feel apart and Kirito-kun stole Asuna´s heart~ kya~~~~ xD lol

Asuna seemed to be pretty okay about Mito after what she did. I don´t know if I liked that much but never mind, let´s move on. I know it´s not like Mito didn´t try to save Asuna at that time and she was desperate about Asuna´s HP getting close to zero.
Actually, even Mito herself seemed like to be pretty chill lol in the scenes before knowing Asuna was still alive.

Is it just my impression or Kirito-kun is a bit different here in this movie? Not looking wise, but I don´t know... he is less cold and more friendly? Maybe it´s just my impression, it´s been so long since I watched anything related to SAO.

Anyway, a nice movie to enjoy if you don´t want to think much and if you aren´t a isekai hater (and there is a lot of them out there) xD

8/10
TechOtakuNov 27, 2022 12:03 PM
Nov 27, 2022 11:20 PM
Aug 2021
Stayed consistent with SAO show.
Dec 23, 2022 3:04 AM
Dec 2022
goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooddd
Dec 29, 2022 5:59 AM

Aug 2018
Well, Asuna's mom is quite demanding, it seems.. Asuna does well, and she's like: you can do even better, what are you thinking about..
It seems that this blue haired girl Misumi has even less connections to other people.. Asuna at least can hang out with friends at school.. Even if she will maybe go to other school in next year..
lol.. So random Tekken 7 gameplay.. ;D Nice.. ;P Well, Asuna, you really are playing like lower tier considered character, while Misumi chooses meta, so no wonder you get your ass beaten.. ;D If you play for fun - then sure, choose Panda.. ;P But don't really expect it to beat Heihachi, unless you're like more skilled or stuff..
lol, that's a lot of Tekken.. Well, I don't mind.. I like Tekken game myself.. ;P Just unexpected to see it here..
Hm.. So that's how Asuna learnt about SAO.. She learnt it from Misumi.. Interesting to know..
By the way.. I feel that newer installments really give more screen time and focus for Asuna.. Well, she was kind of very absent in season 2, 3.. But in War of Underworld and here.. She as if becomes a main protagonist.. I like that they give her more screen time and we see more about her..
Now I think it makes sense.. Why Asuna would become good at game, as she was.. She is with Misumi.. Who was on the level Kirito was as we saw in the beginning of the movie.. I imagine Misumi helped Asuna then with stuff?.. At least at first..
Also I like returning to SAO times.. That might have been the most interesting part of the anime for me.. Being trapped in the game..
Is that Sachi at 26:13?..
And.. I guess as Kirito lost Sachi.. Maybe Asuna lost Misumi as well?.. Well, maybe we'll see..
Hm.. Not quite.. But they did end up separating..
Now Asuna became motivated.. What if she'll die.. She will at least does so trying, she says..
Hm.. Interesting that Asuna remember Kirito saving her.. But maybe Kirito does not?..
I think in the end.. Asuna and Misumi reconciled.. But decided to move their own paths..
Great movie.. Great to be back to SAO.. Great to see more focus on Asuna.. I think anime does nice job now giving time to shine different characters.. I maybe even prefer female protagonist in SAO.. Maybe even a bit more than a male.. But in any way.. Glad we got so much more about Asuna.. And glad to see SAO game again, the very beginning.. Enjoyed movie a lot..
Jan 6, 2023 8:43 AM
Jul 2021
This movie is depicting how Asuna sees the Sword Art Online, and it basically represent what everybody experienced the first time they got into the death game. It is chaotic, it is full of suspense actions, and there's also the dynamics between the characters, they also insert Mito into the storyline, which is new to the anime watcher like me. Overall, it's a refreshing movie and a good beginning to start the journey of Aincrad. Totally recommending it for every anime enjoyer, especially the SAO's fans.
Jan 7, 2023 7:07 AM
Oct 2021
SAO still my besttttt
Jan 8, 2023 5:17 AM

Jun 2020
I really enjoyed this movie it was nice to see SAO through Asuna's perspective but i think Mito felt like a random character to appear

Jan 14, 2023 1:13 PM

Apr 2013
Was a good movie, even if there was some stuff I did not like. First half was great to see Asuna's backstory, well done. Second half was kinda unnecessary, especially since they changed stuff from season 1 to include Mito. Kirito saving Asuna before "actually" meeting her for the first boss was a bit too cliche in my opinion, like it better how it was before. They also kept the "How did you find out my name", despite showing us that Asuna was in a party before and actually looked at the HP gauge. The explanation for that did not make a lot of sense imo.
Jan 16, 2023 8:35 PM
Aug 2018
This is what sword art online should have been from the start. The original SAO now feels like ova or filler episodes right now. This one dives much more into the actual game itself and the plot of leveling up and clearing flors, basicly an mmo instead of an op guy with an harem each episode only showing how did şhe capture different girls.
Jan 17, 2023 11:23 AM
Nov 2017
Being able to see the world of SAO through Asuna's eyes is an enjoyable change to pace. The update to the animation gives the whole SAO series a fresh new take and I look forward to what comes next. I would also enjoy seeing this side of the story continue.
Jan 21, 2023 11:56 AM
Aug 2017
Well, the film really went differently than the anime, the mangas or even the LNs (both the original one and the Progressive one) but it was still really great! I really liked to have Asuna's perspective, and the addition of Mito and their story together was interesting too.
Also, am I the only to have laughed at how bulked up the Kobold Lord seemed compared to the original one? xD
Jan 21, 2023 1:12 PM

Nov 2010
8:35 Goddammit reality, why do you suck so much? It's already 2023, and we still don't have Tekken 7 on a handheld!
47:29 Love at first sight! He got so nervous in front of a pretty girl he couldn't even sheath his sword. hehe
1:05:56 Delicious Asuna fanservice!
They made that Kobold boss battle look so much cooler compared to the series. Nicely done!
I miss seeing Asuna's armpit. I want to see her in her sleeveless clothing.
My favorite season of SAO + in the perspective of my top waifu = 9/10
Feb 5, 2023 4:27 PM
Dec 2021
Watching this before schzero. There's a lot of things I loved about this. The whole death game concept isn't just forgotten about immediately it's very much engrained in the fabric of the story now and I love that we are seeing things from Asuna's perspective and I love that Kirito has more depth now, I still am not completely sold on him, but he's at least not cardboard now! There's somethings that carried over from the original SAO that I loathe, the beater scene in particular I can't help but cringe at that, however, overall this is the first time since Sword Art Online Alternative Gun Gale Online that I've genuinely enjoyed SAO!
Feb 6, 2023 4:43 AM
EOussama

Dec 2016
This was a pleasant surprise.
Feb 9, 2023 7:46 AM
Jan 2022
i waited for this so long
Feb 10, 2023 8:46 AM

Jul 2015
This movie made me genuinly relive the enoyable experience of watching earlier SAO for its fantasy game aspects before the harem nonsense kicked in.
I also liked seeing Asuna becoming a gamer and seeing some more development in the initial stages of her relation with Kirito.

Feb 10, 2023 11:24 AM
Aug 2015
Amazing world and character rebuilding movie
Feb 13, 2023 7:55 AM

Jan 2021
Beater tester!? We should call him a beater!
Feb 22, 2023 7:49 PM

Jan 2011
well this was much better than the original anime which i thought was a disspointment, this was quite entertaining... except for the final battle which was well animated but wasnt particularly interesting, it didnt help that the boss looked generic, i undertand that its just the first boss but it was also the main fight of the movie so i was expecting something cooler, an then theres the beater stuff ugh 
other than that good movie 7/10

it still doesnt make sense to me that the blue hair guy just refuses the health potion
Feb 24, 2023 9:51 AM
Jan 2021
tf was htis this ain't SAO why is this actually immaculate
Mar 8, 2023 5:49 AM
Jul 2009
They changed the original story quite a bit in the movie. I can understand why they wanted to introduce a new character that didn't exist in the novel. I also liked how they showed the story's first half from the Asuna perspective. Nevertheless, the movie missed a few essential aspects. As a novel reader, it was actually hard to feel the whole backstory of the characters from the video.
Mar 16, 2023 8:56 PM
Nov 2016
It was better than S1, and the upgrades in fight scenes and audio made it worth watching.
Mar 25, 2023 4:38 PM
GetsugaTENSHO

Jul 2012
I got Mayuri (Bleach) from Mito's other avatar XDDD Besides that I LOVE THE ANIMATION, it improved so much :) THANKS FOR REMINDING THAT I LOVE THE OG SAO
張大です for 張大勇督察
Jun 12, 2023 4:55 AM
Dec 2020
The addition of Misumi's character to the film was very important in the initial feel. If you've watched the Sword Art series online before, you know who will die and maybe it won't make you tense while watching this film, that's where Misumi's role makes us think about when did she die, did she die and what made her die. because of that this movie gives a good feeling when you watch it
Jun 18, 2023 6:57 AM

Feb 2021
Wow, the graphic is very cool! Love the animation and the story. It's remind me back to SAO S1.
- Mal-Badge -

Level 25
Ranked 1135
Last update : 27.02.2022 at 05:50

My Candies :

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Jun 18, 2023 7:24 AM
Mar 2019
Finally the life before SAO. The first few minutes was something I wanted to see for a long time. Thanks for making this!
Jun 18, 2023 6:34 PM

Dec 2012
SAO just keeps leveling up. This was outright fantastic. It took me right back to the original sensation I had when I first embarked on the SAO saga in 2012. At the time, I went in as blindly as Asuna and the premise of the death game filled me with such a great sense of dread & wonder. This movie was rife with close calls that - even knowing Asuna wouldn't die - constantly kept me bracing in fear. Another strong point of this movie was how it managed to add fresh insights to scenes from the original series. Seeing Johnny Black made my skin crawl and I have to wonder how many other big names were inconspicuously on the front lines early on as well.

Both the focus on Asuna as well as the addition of Mito really added a fresh charm to this familiar origin story. I really appreciate how the movie decided to maximize all of Asuna's character appeals while nearly doing away with distracting fanservice. Even the bath scene was just simply beautiful & cozy. I'm very much interested to see what Mito's role will be in the next movie. I have very mixed feelings about her, but in a good way. It really hurt to watch her abandon Asuna and run away, but every indication points to her deeply treasuring that sisterly bond they shared. It may be that I'm just so partial to this because Mother's Rosario is my favorite arc.

8.5/10. On a side note, Asuna registering for SAO was one of my personal favorite moments from this movie. It felt very organic, like I could have picked up a controller and started navigating the menu myself.
ZekkenshinJun 18, 2023 6:37 PM
Jun 27, 2023 9:42 AM
Feb 2021
the series tells the story in Kirito's view, the movie in Asuna's view.
many scenes are double seen by the series, but it's worth it!
the animation and sounds are so much better than the series! 
Jul 12, 2023 1:18 PM
Dec 2022
This movie taught me not to trust people who tell you that they will never leave you.
Jul 27, 2023 12:26 AM

Sep 2018
This movie breathed new life into the original first season, I loved watching it from the perspective of Asuna and her IRL friend. Pretty good pacing for a film as well, flowed well. Added or enhanced scenes were also excellent, even if I'm unable to remember every detail. 8/10.
Sep 12, 2023 8:00 AM
Jul 2021
Really restore sword art online to it's glory.
Dec 15, 2023 2:47 AM

Nov 2023
Well this was a good anime movie. The battle scenes were something else
Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »

More topics from this board

» Can you watch this without watching the original anime?

Strat2005 - Jan 13

11 by Sara_Karma »»
Jan 14, 10:39 PM

» How dare they???

Haroldinho07 - Jun 23, 2023

25 by GakutoDeathGlare »»
Jul 27, 2023 12:27 AM

» Comparison Scene

ClubAnimeYT - Jul 13, 2022

5 by hacker09 »»
Jun 20, 2023 12:07 AM

» To anyone who don't know what SAO-P is and to those who didn't like the show and wanted a well written version of the show. I'll try to clear any doubts about the show. ( 1 2 )

Anayan_Kashyap - Sep 20, 2021

56 by hacker09 »»
Jun 19, 2023 11:55 PM

» Dub??

removed-user - Jul 14, 2022

9 by removed-user »»
Jun 14, 2023 10:58 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.