Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

What are your thoughts in the sudden fall of Demon Slayer's MAL rank and rating?

New
Do you trust MAL ranks and ratings?
Apr 6, 2021 8:55 PM
Jan 2021
I am not fond of philosophy of "why does it even matter" so here are my personal thoughts and opinions.
I don't trust MAL.
According to https://myanimelist.net/advertising ; the majority of users are from US. So basically taste of western anime fans plays a major role when it comes to worldwide popular animes( I am from Asia).
Summary:- West=35.5%
Asia=19.7%( doesn't include Asian countries like Korea, China, Taiwan etc)
Europe=10.7%
Oceania=2.4%
Others=31.7%( less then 1.5% per country)
It's Demon Slayer forum so I will keep my personal analysis around it.
Everyone knows how massive Demon Slayer is at a worldwide level( it is like emotion in Asia)except U.S. To be precise, currently, Demon Slayer is the most hated anime among U.S anime fans. I might have trust MAL if Asian anime fans would have been active as western anime fans.
If we talk about Imbd[ https://m.imdb.com/chart/toptv?ref_=m_tt_awd ] if we count only animes, Demon Slayer is #11( general ranking #111). FMAB is of course #1.
On 6 April Demon Slayer had 966k users and today(7th April) surprisingly it has 1 million users taking into consideration 966k was a constant number for many months.
From what I observed its fall in rank in time period of 2-3 days was like this:- #63, #64, #65, #67. In my personal opinion when some people saw Demon Slayer rank went from #63 to #64 most of the people change their ratings to a lower number on purpose to bring down Demon Slayer even more. My reason to think that way; the drama between FMAB and AOT fans plus everything I discussed above.

Note:-1) I didn't try to hate on western anime fans. If anyone felt like that then I apologise.
2) I haven't said anywhere my analysis is accurate. I may be wrong. These are my personal thoughts and opinions. Correction is always appreciated.
3)let's try to keep at least this forum discussion more mature free of fanboy and salt. Because most of the Demon Slayer's forum discussion......well, you know.
4) I haven't included the motherland of anime Japan otherwise Demon Slayer might have won everything. I have seen some fans from Japan on MAL which means Japan can access MAL as well.
Just-For_FunApr 6, 2021 10:48 PM
Apr 6, 2021 8:58 PM
Jul 2018
It's not a big deal, I don't understand the whole obsession over ratings. Just enjoy what you enjoy, and let others enjoy things even if you don't. If people don't appreciate something as much as you do, so what?
Apr 6, 2021 9:03 PM
Jan 2021
OppaiLover77 said:
It's not a big deal, I don't understand the whole obsession over ratings. Just enjoy what you enjoy, and let others enjoy things even if you don't. If people don't appreciate something as much as you do, so what?
I guess you are right but this human nature.
Apr 6, 2021 10:29 PM

Dec 2018
First of all, I don't understand where you got Demon slayer having 10 million users. it doesn't; it has roughly 1.5 million (with even fewer actually giving it a rating). No anime on Mal has 10 million users. if the 10 million was just a typo then I don't know for sure if it really did rise because I don't know what it was at a few days ago, but 1.5 million sound like it's around what it's been for a while.

Mal does have history for being raided to inflate or deflate scores, but it's usually time specific; for example, chihayafuru season three got review bombed because it was the highest rated show of it's season, much to the chagrin of the fans of other airing series (don't remember which one it was. Dr stone? Beastars?) and it went from roughly 8.5 to 7.3

so it's possible, but there seems to be no current motive for doing so or a drastic enough decrease in scores. it's just as likely that a few other shows simply rose in score, the ranking isn't rigid after all. I remember when Your Name was still number 2 in rating. things change.

and also it really doesn't matter.
Apr 6, 2021 10:44 PM
Jan 2021
MikuMousepad said:
First of all, I don't understand where you got Demon slayer having 10 million users. it doesn't; it has roughly 1.5 million (with even fewer actually giving it a rating). No anime on Mal has 10 million users. if the 10 million was just a typo then I don't know for sure if it really did rise because I don't know what it was at a few days ago, but 1.5 million sound like it's around what it's been for a while.

Mal does have history for being raided to inflate or deflate scores, but it's usually time specific; for example, chihayafuru season three got review bombed because it was the highest rated show of it's season, much to the chagrin of the fans of other airing series (don't remember which one it was. Dr stone? Beastars?) and it went from roughly 8.5 to 7.3

so it's possible, but there seems to be no current motive for doing so or a drastic enough decrease in scores. it's just as likely that a few other shows simply rose in score, the ranking isn't rigid after all. I remember when Your Name was still number 2 in rating. things change.

and also it really doesn't matter.
Oh crap! I will edit the user number. Thanks for correcting me.
Apr 6, 2021 11:04 PM
Jan 2021
I watched the first couple episodes of FMAB and dropped it, before you massacre me just hear me out. Everyone had there own taste and I respect FMAB and I acknowledge it’s a great show it just didn’t appeal to my taste. Demon slayer on the other hand is exactly what I want from an amine it has it’s funny moments and it’s serious moments and it does a fantastic job of portraying both. It ended up on my favorites list because of how well it’s able to switch between the two. The characters made me laugh and enjoy the show and the badass moments sold me. For me this show walks the perfect line between serious and hilarious while avoiding or evolving the usual character tropes seen in anime.
Apr 6, 2021 11:08 PM
Mar 2021
it will Rise when Season 2 will be Aired
Apr 6, 2021 11:56 PM

Jan 2021
Never trust ratings on this site, these reviews and scores are not genuine reviews but they are rather personal opinion driven from love, hate or enjoyment. FMAB and many other shounen series fanbase is very loyal and some are toxic and they wont allow other anime to come even close to them in score.
I remember this season going as far as 8.90 something before haters started doing there job but who cares about them, this just shows how popular the series has and currently speaking its the biggest anime in the world, bigger than anything we have seen before (just check out manga sale and movie sales if anyone has a doubt).
So yeah who really cares about rating if you enjoyed the show than good for you but if someone forcibly hates this shows because its getting more popular than their favorite than too bad for them they are missing out.
If you enjoyed the time you wasted, then its not a waste of time.

Apr 7, 2021 12:13 AM

Jun 2016
Can you back up the claim that demon slayer is the most hated anime among US fans? It never seemed that way to me.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Apr 7, 2021 12:43 AM
Oct 2017
whittithomas said:
I watched the first couple episodes of FMAB and dropped it, before you massacre me just hear me out. Everyone had there own taste and I respect FMAB and I acknowledge it’s a great show it just didn’t appeal to my taste. Demon slayer on the other hand is exactly what I want from an amine it has it’s funny moments and it’s serious moments and it does a fantastic job of portraying both. It ended up on my favorites list because of how well it’s able to switch between the two. The characters made me laugh and enjoy the show and the badass moments sold me. For me this show walks the perfect line between serious and hilarious while avoiding or evolving the usual character tropes seen in anime.

I find this so interesting since KNY and FMAB are my favorite. I like your attitude towards it, I mean it's really not a big deal not liking or liking something that is popular. To each their own.

To answer the OP, I don't trust MAL ratings. I don't like this trend of bombarding shows with low or high scores to boost your favorite anime to the top and bring others down. You can be a part of more than one anime fandom, we don't have to pick sides lol
Aby_ss_Apr 7, 2021 12:46 AM
Apr 7, 2021 2:01 AM
Mar 2016
Instead of looking at the average only, I prefer to look at the histogram (how many people have given 1,2,...). Some animes have a low score because of some hater. When you look at the histogram you will find that the majority of people have given a 8-9 and a small group hate it and gave a note between 1-3. You can often get their reason from the first reviews and decide if it is a problem for you. Usually bad/average anime have a lot of people who choose a score between 1-6 quite evenly and not all on 1-2.
Apr 7, 2021 2:01 AM

Jan 2021
Popular shows will have louder negative voices. It just seems that way to me. I understand how low ratings can be of worry though because generally, ratings on here influence people’s feelings believe it or not. We can say ratings are trivial and MAL ratings are untrustworthy. Those are both true statements but at the end of the day, a rank will potentially influence how a person interacts with a piece of media because lots of people care about things like that. If bots are lowering the rank then that’s unfortunate because now it will affect KNY’s reputation on here, which in turn will affect potential fans’ feelings.
Apr 7, 2021 2:35 AM
Feb 2020
Obviously I don’t trust it after the change last year when Interspecies reviewers was top
Apr 7, 2021 4:02 AM
Mar 2021
Well you can like what you want but it's probably some kids that didn't want kimetsu no yaiba to surpass their favorite anime.
Apr 7, 2021 4:48 AM
Jan 2021
That uh... Sure is a lot of words
Apr 7, 2021 5:54 AM
Dec 2020
Nah and it doesn’t matter what the rankings say at the end of the day it’s a good ass series and that won’t change regardless if it’s a 1 or 10 it’s broken. Plenty records and that’s all that’s needed
Apr 7, 2021 8:18 AM
Jan 2021
Heh, this is nothing. You should see how My Hero Academia is doing. There was a time when season two was close to 8.50 and that was in 2019. It probably made the Top 60 when it was just over.
Apr 7, 2021 10:51 AM

Jun 2020
In this case I think I can "trust" the rating
Apr 7, 2021 11:39 AM

Apr 2020
To be honest, the MAL rankings are by far THE best I've ever seen in any anime site. And I say that with years of experience.

But they are far from perfect or accurate, as the hype and hate will always make waves, as most people lack stamina or a more neutral attitude.

The average rating is irrelevant anyway, as long as it does not become a compulsion.
Apr 7, 2021 11:59 AM
Apr 2018
I believe that the anime was wayyy overhyped when it was actually supposed to be a generic shorter than average shounen anime, the real critics won't give this show a 9 easily and besides there are a lot of toxic fanbases out there that downvote on mainstream anime on purpose so really it's not surprising, I expect that the rating will plummet further to an 8 but imagine it going lower than an 8.
Apr 7, 2021 12:47 PM

May 2016
Normal. KnY got a high rating due to technical aspects, its story is ok, but not remarkable. Only great stories withstand time
Apr 7, 2021 8:15 PM
Mar 2021
Big fan of the series, so can’t be bothered by the opinions of others, if you enjoy it, great. If not, that’s okay too. Just don’t berate the other side as if your opinion is objective
Apr 7, 2021 8:57 PM
Jan 2021
Ploiw123 said:
Normal. KnY got a high rating due to technical aspects, its story is ok, but not remarkable. Only great stories withstand time

"Only great story withstand time" true words for MAL. Only great shows withstand worldwide reputation, popularity and imbd ratings.
Apr 8, 2021 8:05 AM

Apr 2021
Personally, I don't trust MAL, nothing against the mods or anything, I just think in some capacity the people who bombard animes with 1 star or 5-star rankings will always be the reason I don't trust MAL that much. I'd much rather just go on Twitter or smth and see what the general opinion is there if I really wanted to know.
Apr 10, 2021 7:09 PM
Nov 2019
Personally, I'd still trust the MAL ratings. It's easy to look at certain examples of people who review bomb/like shows like FMAB, Interspecies reviewers, etc. but there are still thousands of other shows that either did not have the same treatment or had very few changes in the score at all. Imo, a lot of the hate toward the rating system is unjustified.

Even if someone were to argue that people can review bot, there's literally a sentence under the scoring formula that says: "Scores given from illegitimate accounts created to sway votes are also not included in the scoring algorithm."

Also, the audience within MAL is huge, so the scores are taken from a large number of people. Much better than going somewhere else, like a Subreddit thread, where there is feedback from only a smaller audience.
Apr 12, 2021 8:29 PM
Feb 2021
I think it pretty normal because the member is 1,6million. compare to 2019 kny get 8.96 score in finish airing. i remember 8,96 score kny haven't reach to 1million member.
AOT season 1 only get 8,50 in 2million.
i personally think AOT season 1 is much better than demon slayer.
so 8,60 is higher enough.

i apologize
Apr 13, 2021 3:10 AM
May 2020
Yall can disagree all you want but this show is mid at best.
Apr 13, 2021 9:27 AM

Dec 2020
I stopped caring about MAL's rankings when Gintama: The Final was done dirty because of AoT vs. FMAB war shit.

And also when stuff like JJK gets to 8.79, that cemented MAL's rankings as a joke lmao
Like it's good, but 27th place worthy? I don't think so

I wasted all my time in rewatching to the point of my rewatch total is higher than my overall anime total lmao
Apr 13, 2021 12:34 PM

Dec 2015
Imdb has no anime audience. It is one of the worst sites to use as a reference!
>_<
Apr 13, 2021 12:39 PM

Oct 2020
its overrated and it deserved the drop. it needs to go down to around 8.3, 8.6 is just too much
# of bans: 4

@NoLiferSoul is an S+ tier MAL Staff member

@anime-prime and @AlexPaulLEWZ are S tier

Rest are mid
Apr 13, 2021 12:47 PM

Aug 2015
Theo1899 said:
Can you back up the claim that demon slayer is the most hated anime among US fans? It never seemed that way to me.

I’m not the original poster but considering the fact that it won anime of the year around two years ago, I think they’re either overreacting or basing their claim off of all of the hate that it used to get on Twitter.

Sorry if this is hard to comprehend.
Apr 13, 2021 7:21 PM

Feb 2019
What are your thoughts in the sudden fall of Demon Slayer's MAL rank and rating?

There's nothing surprising,
Its way too overrated. Of course the score will drop

Anyway i stopped trusting mal rating when i saw demon slayer has high rating than one piece.

Hope the rating will drop more
Sakuta002766Apr 13, 2021 7:27 PM
Apr 13, 2021 7:21 PM

Jan 2020
Recency bias finally wore off for many people

Apr 14, 2021 1:40 AM

Jan 2015
Sakuta002766 said:

Anyway i stopped trusting mal rating when i saw demon slayer has high rating than one piece.

Damn boy you mad it surpassed your favorite anime. OP fans are so annoying honestly
Apr 14, 2021 1:42 AM

Jul 2020
That happens with every anime.Soon JJK ratings will also drop.

I stopped trusting ratings since Deca dence anyway.

Scordolo's Recent Reviews
To your eternity
Vanitas no Karte
Apr 14, 2021 1:42 AM

Jan 2019
maybe people started realizing it's nowhere nearly as good as they praised it to be
Apr 14, 2021 1:54 AM
Jul 2018
It doesn't matter what the rate say just enjoy and then decide.
Apr 14, 2021 1:57 AM

Feb 2019
Xenocrisi said:
Sakuta002766 said:

Damn boy you mad it surpassed your favorite anime. OP fans are so annoying honestly

How op fans are annoying?
How did you got annoyed by me?

Care to explain?

Its not like I'm forcing my opinion on you

Also I'm not mad, i just don't think it deserves higher, and its MY opinion
Sakuta002766Apr 14, 2021 2:03 AM
Apr 14, 2021 3:00 AM

Jan 2019
tl;dr
but 8.60 is very very high, I mean most 8.60+ rated anime are actually high quality

I don't think Demon Slayer should be that high tho, 8.4 at max

also, if the anime reached it's peak, it's obviously going down, and not because of bots
Nanatsu no Taizai was like 8.4 at one point, now it's 7.8, not because of bots, but people changing their taste and opinion

also recency bias also applies in to new anime, anime like Jujustu Kaisen and Demon Slayer will start to drop their rankings
NubFixApr 14, 2021 3:03 AM
Apr 15, 2021 2:00 AM

Oct 2017
I haven't even watched the show but It's still rated quite high. 8.60+ is high if you ask me.
Apr 15, 2021 2:08 AM

Dec 2019
OppaiLover77 said:

yeah it really doesn't matter I find that as log as their is a group or community of people that enjoy the things I do I really don't care that much about

"what is the most popular"
Apr 18, 2021 5:43 AM

Aug 2019
Piyush-At-Animes said:
On 6 April Demon Slayer had 966k users and today(7th April) surprisingly it has 1 million users taking into consideration 966k was a constant number for many months

Demon Slayer has had way over a million users for many months at this point. Don't know what you're talking about. The score has been decreasing naturally like many other anime. Look at Kimi no Na Wa. It went from over a 9 to 8.94 slowly. Your Lie in April went from 8.79 to 8.72. The scores have just been falling naturally as more and more people watch it.
Apr 18, 2021 6:17 AM
Jan 2018
Possibly jjk fans have been downvoting. Ratings a joke here anyways.
Subjectivity is a joke on MAL. If you implicitly bring in subjectivity in your counter argument, you've already lost the debate. Also this website is a fankid infestation , have pity on those kids by ignoring there quotes as they have absolutely no clue what exactly is going on.
Apr 18, 2021 8:59 AM

Dec 2018
hype died down, just like how something like boku no hero s2 dropped from 8.66 to its current 8.29, people are no longer overhyping which gave the show a boost when it aired.
Apr 18, 2021 12:11 PM

May 2016
I feel the show is still rated way too high.
Apr 19, 2021 6:33 AM
Jan 2021
MrBrawlz said:
its overrated and it deserved the drop. it needs to go down to around 8.3, 8.6 is just too much
so ironic. I have same thought for jjk
Apr 19, 2021 6:44 AM

Oct 2015
Almost everything on MAL goes downward after a certain period of time passes. When it's airing or has recently aired, they give godly ratings in the heat of the moment, only to come back re-adjusting it.
Apr 20, 2021 8:49 PM

Aug 2020
Imagine taking MAL scores seriously. That can never be me, proving once again how truly great I am.
Apr 20, 2021 10:06 PM

Apr 2020
I don't know. It's natural so it's not something to be worried about.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

More topics from this board

» Gurenge becomes top selling digital single song in Reiwa era

FZREMAKE - Apr 15

20 by HaremSevdalisi »»
5 hours ago

Poll: » Kimetsu no Yaiba Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 18, 2019

312 by CicadaRex »»
Apr 24, 12:21 PM

» I don't get it

n0tSamir - Jul 7, 2023

34 by guts4ever »»
Apr 22, 12:44 PM

Poll: » Kimetsu no Yaiba Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 27, 2019

272 by CicadaRex »»
Apr 20, 4:20 AM

Poll: » Kimetsu no Yaiba Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 20, 2019

282 by CicadaRex »»
Apr 19, 11:49 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.