Forum Settings
Forums

What shows you thought you were going to enjoy but didn't?

New
Oct 23, 2020 5:44 AM

May 2020
Personally for me it would be Bakemonogatari, I found the premise interesting, and I heard it's similar to Bunny Girl Senpai which I enjoyed a lot, but once I actually watched it I was bored out of my mind. I really like dialogue-heavy shows but the dialogue in Bakemonogatari is just so uninteresting to me, the character interactions are really weird and unnatural, the jokes are eh. The only thing I liked about it was the visual style and the amazing ending song. I'm really close to dropping it and if I actually finish it I probably won't be watching the other Monogatari seasons.
GilgameshuuOct 23, 2020 5:49 AM
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Oct 23, 2020 6:02 AM

Apr 2017
From recent memory it's been Kaguya Wants to Be Confessed to S2. I don't know what happened but they completely lost the fun, pizazz and energy of the first season. Characters no longer played off each other, the jokes weren't funny and the plot was nonexistent.

Shows that I thought I was going to enjoy based on plot summary, art or other factors but were completely ruined by insufferable characters: Citrus and Urahara. Scum's Wish as well.

Sounded promising but turned out to be just complete boring crap: Rozen Maiden, Ouran High School Host Club, Pastel Memories, Fairy Gone, Stand My Heroes: Piece of Truth, Bloom into You, Maria Watches Over Us, Bermuda Triangle: Colorful Pastrale and the original Fruits Basket adaption.

Potential wasted on a rushed manga sales pitch: Domestic Girlfriend.
Oct 23, 2020 6:04 AM
Feb 2019
Inuyasha. Dropped out of it after the 27th episode. SOO boring
"Don't forget my name, Soul Reaper, and you better pray that you never hear it again! Grimmjow Jaegerjaquez...because the next time you hear my name, you'll be a dead man...I promise."
Oct 23, 2020 6:05 AM
Jun 2020
Our love has always been 10 centimeters apart lasts only 6 episodes but is a good way-out for a good nap.
Oct 23, 2020 6:05 AM

Apr 2019
I thought I would love to watch the assasins pride, I was looking forward to the anime, since the first trailers, and I was negatively surprised, nor could I finish the anime so disappointed that I was.
Oct 23, 2020 6:07 AM

Jul 2020
I was hyped for Lucky Star but that shi was boring asf, especially coming from someone who enjoys SOL.
Oct 23, 2020 6:08 AM

Apr 2020
Tsuritama, Kuruko's basketball, Giovanni's Island,
There has been a lot, but God of Highschool really got me hyped up for nothing...
I thought I would adore Children of the Whales... now it has a 4/10 on my list
Kenzolo-folkOct 23, 2020 6:13 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 23, 2020 6:10 AM

May 2020
Gilgameshuu said:
Personally for me it would be Bakemonogatari, I found the premise interesting, and I heard it's similar to Bunny Girl Senpai which I enjoyed a lot, but once I actually watched it I was bored out of my mind. I really like dialogue-heavy shows but the dialogue in Bakemonogatari is just so uninteresting to me, the character interactions are really weird and unnatural, the jokes are eh. The only thing I liked about it was the visual style and the amazing ending song. I'm really close to dropping it and if I actually finish it I probably won't be watching the other Monogatari seasons.

what seriously i thougyht it was amazing cmon man give a sec chance huhu
Oct 23, 2020 6:10 AM
Aug 2018
Danmachi
My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU TOO
Children of the Whales
Pop Team Epic

I thought they were all pretty boring, and Pop Team Epic wasn't very funny to me

Oct 23, 2020 6:11 AM

Mar 2020
Index/railgun franchise except for the accelerator spinoff. It seemed like it had everything I was looking for in an anime but turns out it was exactly the opposite.
Oct 23, 2020 6:14 AM

May 2020
Natsude_tanaka said:
Gilgameshuu said:

I probably won't be changing my mind any time soon, as I said I found it quite boring. Good for you that you enjoyed it but it's not my cup of tea.
Oct 23, 2020 6:15 AM

Aug 2018
I thought I was going to enjoy watching Orange. I guess I didn't.
Oct 23, 2020 8:22 AM

May 2020
Cheating Craft
Ergo Proxy
They both sounded so promising but I just couldn't bring myself to finish them

Hataraku Maou-sama!-but it was mainly the character that ruined it for me
Oct 23, 2020 8:28 AM

Apr 2020
This will go to Kaichou wa Maid-sama. It took me a solid month before I watched this and I've been hyping myself for the fun I will get. But then I watched the anime and it was a bit of a snoozefest. Things didn't go the way I expected to and I left the show being tired.

Honorable Mention for Your Lie in April tho. That's a much worst snoozefest and the midpoint of that anime was the worst part of it.
Oct 23, 2020 8:41 AM

Mar 2016
Death Note, Haikyuu and Your Name. I was really excited for all of them but didn't really enjoy them as much as I thought I would ;-;
"It wasn't your fault. You do not have to carry that burden."

Violet Evergarden

Oct 23, 2020 8:44 AM
穂乃果は神

Oct 2015
violet evergarden I have said it so much I don't want to sound like I'm repeating myself lol xD
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 23, 2020 8:47 AM

Mar 2020
-Kimi no Na wa. Not that I didn't enjoy it, but I expected something a lot better than what I got.

-Kanokari. I had really high hopes for the show, liked the op, the artstyle and the character designs a lot. Needless to say it disappointed me. Not trash, but not what I expected.

-Maquia & The Garden of Words. Two movies with very high scores that I didn't like at all.

-Detroit Metal City. I like anime, I like comedy, I like metal, what could go wrong? I'll tell you: this trainwreck of a show.
Oct 23, 2020 8:48 AM
Aug 2020
I am God of MAL, all of you peasants will bow before me. Although the answer is Konosuba
Oct 23, 2020 8:52 AM

May 2020
Owari no Seraph got a lot of hype, but after watching 8 episodes, still slightly disappointed. Ended up putting it on hold for when I'm bored enough to finish it. I really wanted to like it too since I love vampire themes. Maybe the last 4 episodes of the first season are fantastic and I'm missing out, who knows.
Oct 23, 2020 8:53 AM

May 2020
SlinkMAL said:
I am God of MAL, all of you peasants will bow before me. Although the answer is Konosuba

hah how cant u not like knosuba? so u dont like comedy?
Oct 23, 2020 8:55 AM

Nov 2019
kimi no na wa, beastars, we never learn, code breaker, cowboy bebop,
"Nobody is stronger than me, even when I go easy on them. Remember that" - Ayanokoji Kiyotaka
Oct 23, 2020 8:56 AM
Aug 2020
Natsude_tanaka said:
SlinkMAL said:

hah how cant u not like knosuba? so u dont like comedy?

I really don't like Iseaki, and I didn't find it funny.
Oct 23, 2020 8:57 AM

Apr 2017
Mawaru Pinguidrum, I did enjoy it but not to the extent I expected it to reach.
It looked like a psychological thriller that explores its themes profoundly but nothing was exceptional except the beautiful symbolism of the show.

"elles sont bien noires
les pensées des nuits blanches"

Oct 23, 2020 9:03 AM
Twincool~

Oct 2018
As unfortunate as it is, I didn't really enjoy FMA or brotherhood.
Oct 23, 2020 9:03 AM

Jul 2020
Tatami galaxy. Great execution but a sort of hollow main message.
Oct 23, 2020 9:12 AM

May 2020
Cowboy Bepop. Sci-Fi is one of my favourite genres and the plot sounded interesting. I found it most of it boring and by the time a storyline showed up, I couldn't care less about what was happening.

Death Parade. Didn't care for the characters or the world. The stories it presented weren't that interesting either.

Dororo, Fune wo Amu, Steins;Gate 0 & Sora yori mo Tooi Basho mainly because of how many good reviews they had and yet, all of them disappointed me.

Oct 23, 2020 9:19 AM

Sep 2020
I was a bit disappointed with Perfect Blue. I wouldn't say I didn't enjoy it, but it didn't quite meet my expectations - I heard it was supposed to be a borderline masterpiece, but I couldn't help but feel it was just a fairly standard and unremarkable thriller.

Similarly, I expected to really like Akira, and I heard it was a solid classic. I enjoyed parts of it, but overall I found it slightly boring. As I've said before as well, 5 Centimetres per Second was a bit boring, and really just served to help me relive the frustration of catching trains in the North of England.

In terms of series, I was disappointed with FLCL when I watched it again recently - it felt like a really on-the-nose coming of age story. Seemed like it was really geared towards young teenagers, so maybe I would have enjoyed it more if I was a bit younger.
Oct 23, 2020 9:22 AM

Aug 2011
Violet Evergarden - Gorgeous, but wasn't a fan of the oldtimey huge age gap romances

Hanasaku Iroha - Really enjoyed the premise and thought I was in for a good, down-to-earth slice of life, but dropped like a hot potato when episode 3 decided to do awkward bondage/yuri fanservice

Haikyuu!! - Tried twice, got further the second time, then I got spoiled and gave up. I like sports shows, but I require a certain level of slice of life/drama to remain hooked, and it seems I wasn't going to get that :(

Oct 23, 2020 9:28 AM

May 2020
SlinkMAL said:

nah no way u didn't like konosuba Did u watch the movie?
Oct 23, 2020 9:30 AM

May 2020
for me it was mahouka i thought it would be good but.....
Oct 23, 2020 9:30 AM

Feb 2020
I'm a big fan of dark shows so I thought i'd love Texhnolyze but my -10IQ prevented me from understanding the story at all

IT'S NEVER OGRE
Oct 23, 2020 9:31 AM

Aug 2017
Attack on Titan

It has good tags, a great score, and everywhere it was praised beyond anything else. But the reality for me was a mediocre show and often times were so bad that I had to pause certain episodes and watch them another day, this is not something that usually happens for me. I didn't get the emotional connection with the characters and therefore didn't care what happened to them. Honestly wanted them to die so that a more engaging one could take over and perhaps save it.

I would consider my enjoyment from the show to be a negative, perhaps it would have been better to have never seen it. I'll never know now.

We are only here for a short amount of time, I want to waste as much of that time possible doing nonsense
Oct 23, 2020 9:35 AM
Jul 2018
Tower of God and God of Highschool. My friends were hyping it up so hard.
Oct 23, 2020 9:36 AM
May 2020
Dorohedoro, I believed for once the edge was going to do something crazy and it was so lame.
Re:zero, everybody seemed to like it but it has no concept or theme.
Lelouch is okay, same with death note, but they withhold every piece if information and outcome to have a twist or a sense of criticality that it's simply misplaced.
Some ghibli films, makoto shinkai's films, I liked tokyo godfathers but the rest of satoshi kon I can't take seriously
Oct 23, 2020 9:42 AM

Apr 2019
Shinsekai yori. Honestly might rewatch it just to see if my opinion ever changes, because the concept really interests me.
my life was made with mematic.
Oct 23, 2020 9:47 AM

Oct 2010
konosuba, I just couldn't laugh which is weird for I love a decent comedy and it looked like it was for me.
Oct 23, 2020 10:09 AM

Mar 2014
Bloomberry said:
I was hyped for Lucky Star but that shi was boring asf, especially coming from someone who enjoys SOL.

I'll second that. Lucky Star was one of the fewest anime I dropped.
Oct 23, 2020 10:12 AM

Aug 2019
The Millionaire Detective, everyone on twitter was simping over the tall anime business man and I decided to watch it. I stopped at episode 8 and haven't really picked it back up, and I don't think I will.

Dorohedoro was another one I just dropped suddenly one day I don't know why. Especially since I got so far into the show, I just stopped watching it one day. Maybe I'll finish these two shows, since there are things I like about them, but for now they're on my "dropped" list.
Oct 23, 2020 10:18 AM

Mar 2016
Babylon, it was really promising at first but later it went downhill and I stopped it.

just wanna feel wanted by someone other than the police 😫
Oct 23, 2020 10:20 AM

Apr 2015
Well these three cause I did a bit of research beforehand and based on the premise and praises they got I was so sure I was gonna love them:

Dorohedoro - The bloodfest got boring; there were too many fights and blood everywhere yet not much was happening. I started not caring about who died. The only characters I liked were two of the antagonists.

Houseki no Kuni - I just couldn't care for any of the characters and the "character development" of the MC was pretty lame. The concepts involving gems, memories, and body parts were intriguing and there's quite a lot of mysteries to explore but other than that I didn't find much else in the world interesting. I absolutely loved the animation though.

Kaze ga Tsuyoku Fuiteiru - I thought I would like it since I loved all the sports ones I've watched so far. Again, didn't care for any of the characters except maybe Haiji and Prince. And I know I had to hold a suspension of disbelief at how far they were able to get in the races and the character developments, but I just couldn't. It was pretty inspiring to watch them run but some of the character motives were so uninteresting and everything just played out too perfectly.

But it seems the first two are just like a prologue to the story since there're quite a few plot points to resolve so I might enjoy the second seasons more.

"As promised, all that you seek, all that we desire, is prepared up there. On top of the Tower."
Oct 23, 2020 10:22 AM

May 2015
Basically most of Kyoani's shows with Nichijou as the only exception -- that's god tier right there compared to their other works.

I just really don't get why Kyoani is being so hyped when their portfolio ain't really something to write home about. Most of their work are either yawnfests at best or purely niche material that only edgelords or kyoani stans will enjoy.

Those with dirty minds will find my Steam pic offensive
Oct 23, 2020 10:23 AM

Jun 2016
Cross ange had a funny hot mecha-riding weird-creature-hunting girl protagonist. It seemed like the kind of thing I would enjoy but the plot became to stupid for me after a while.
I was right about the protagonist though. She's pretty much the only thing that stood out from the show.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Oct 23, 2020 10:26 AM
Jul 2019
I thought i would enjoy LotGH and Kaguya-sama S2, but i didn't. I want to give LotGH a 2nd chance, actually, sometime in the future. But i didn't really enjoy a 2nd season Kaguya-sama honestly
Oct 23, 2020 10:31 AM

May 2019
Gibiate, I was interested in the whole time traveling samurai thing, and how they were gonna deal with the apocalypse scenario, but then I couldn't go past episode 3, just the visuals were enough to make me wanna drop it. Turns out, it's among the shows that I hate the most.
Gintoki and Sugita's birthdays are 1 day apart.
Oct 23, 2020 10:49 AM
Jul 2020
Well, all I have to say is that One Room was sleep inducing. Would recommend if you have insomnia.
Oct 23, 2020 10:55 AM

Aug 2014
Welp, it's LOGH at the moment. I got some stuff I expected out of it so far... kinda, but was grossly underwhelmed in other places. I'll give it like until halfway through the show before thinking of dropping it.

Laputa is something I thought I'd really like since I dig adventures, but it was a snoozefest with not as much energy in a way I would have liked. Not my tone/fashion of adventure with some underutilized supporting characters to bring up the feel of it.
Oct 23, 2020 10:58 AM
Jul 2018
Gilgameshuu said:
Natsude_tanaka said:

I probably won't be changing my mind any time soon, as I said I found it quite boring. Good for you that you enjoyed it but it's not my cup of tea.

It's probably just adaption issues. I had the same problem with Re:ZERO, a decent show with potential but it was a bit clouded. Only until I read the WN did I realize none of this is Re:ZERO's fault, it's the anime butchering the masterpiece WN. Most definitely Monogatari is having the same issue here and I'm making sure to read Monogatari's LN's soon instead of continuing the anime
Oct 23, 2020 11:02 AM

Aug 2018
Conception.

I usually like harem anime but its one of the shittiest anime ive ever seen

Oct 23, 2020 11:09 AM

Jun 2014
Gilgameshuu said:

For me it's the other way around. Bakemonogatari is still one of my favorite anime of all time, meanwhile I dropped Bunny Girl after the first episode for being a cheap, less interesting ripoff of Monogatari and Haruhi. When they mentioned Schrodingers Cat I knew this was gonna be an irredeemable dumpster fire.

I see you don't have a lot of experience with anime yet, maybe you'll "get" it once you watch more of the medium. I'm guilty myself of dropping Bake on the third episode back when I was fifteen, but when I picked it back up a few years later it became one of the best anime that the whole medium has to offer.

OT: I thought I would love Great Teacher Onizuka but it disappointed me so hard. I gave it enough chances - 20 episodes - but it just kept getting worse and worse.
Also Jojo parts 1, 2, 3 and 5 are terrible, borderline unwatchable. It might've been good in the 80s but the plot doesn't hold up at all.
PernodiOct 23, 2020 11:18 AM

Oct 23, 2020 12:03 PM
May 2020
thought i would enjoy bunny girl senpai
just wasn't the biggest fan
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Best Trap Character in Anime?

GoatPieceLuffy - Apr 27

40 by Ricchan__ »»
41 seconds ago

Poll: » Attack on Titan or Jujutsu Kaisen?

AnimeLover1289 - 2 hours ago

9 by Entity72 »»
3 minutes ago

» What does the Anime you watch say about you

ST63LTH - 3 hours ago

8 by Zarutaku »»
6 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you think 3-episode reviews are valid?

GoatPieceLuffy - 6 hours ago

26 by Zarutaku »»
12 minutes ago

» Does it ever annoy you how a lot of series just never seem to end?

purple_rayn - 10 hours ago

11 by Zarutaku »»
21 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.