Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Wandering Witch: The Journey of Elaina (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Oct 10, 2020 8:52 PM
Jun 2019
The extraordinary value of life I must say on episode i
Oct 10, 2020 9:00 PM

Feb 2016
rizqy96 said:
Rainbowsaur said:

Maybe because... That isn't a spell...? Why do people think like this I will never know. You deserve to be bothered if you end up thinking of things like this to be bothered by. It's almost like saying why didn't she just time warp back to before she lost her brooch if she can do time magic? It's probably, not a thing. Simple.

She has travelled for 3 years, yet somehow she was careless and had never thought of a way to locate her brooch.. It is an actual flaw in the writing in my opinion.

I am bothered by it, because from the 1st episode the show established itself as a well written show.
It hasn't being 3 years when this episode takes place fyi, alot of people think that she's 18 atm, but you can think of it as she was 18 at the time of writing about episode 1. Anyways about the her brooch - not to say that that this was her first country she visited, but it was probably the first time she lost her brooch; and when you make a mistake once, you usually take measures for next time! I could understand your distain if it happened again and again but eh... You keep doing you, and I'll keep doing me; actually enjoying things.

Stardew said:

Why can't we be bothered that a witch had to search for lost items like a normal person? Why can't we have questions?

Nice imagination btw but don't put words in our mouth, when did we say that? Usually time spells don't go that far. So idk what your talking about.
Nothing wrong with questions, it's fair to wonder why witches don't have X ability, but getting "annoyed and bothered" at such just amazes me, I'm happy I don't think like that, or I'd find it hard to enjoy anything; constantly searching for something to be annoyed about and making up "inconsistencies" in my head.

You took it seriously? It was hyperbole, not a quote.
Oct 10, 2020 9:04 PM

Oct 2016
Another beautiful episode, OP and ED were also pretty great. Damn, Saya your adorable but that is not how you solve your loneliness problems. Though thanks to Elaina I am sure she has learned.

Lmao, Elaina still acts a little bit conceited. Though she's more calm about getting kicked out of the hotels. Her character development is still huge as fuck, compare to the first episode she's so much calmer now. Definitely top contender for best girl this season.
Oct 10, 2020 9:22 PM

Apr 2017
a wonderful journey will start again when another one is end , very excited for the next eps ^-^
Moe is Love ! Moe is Life !
Oct 10, 2020 9:49 PM
Dec 2019
Yuri-Crusader said:
Finally some strong Yuri vibes

Awwwww the little lesbians was sharing a bed together,,YEEEEEEEEEES. My little angels was flirting like crazy.And Saya even mention that she loves Elaina in the paper

Easily the best episode so far! And I hope for more sweet interaction between the cute lesbian witches ,,,YEEEEEEES

“the little lesbians” ..girl💀
Oct 10, 2020 10:43 PM

Jan 2013
I honestly don't feel this show, the storytelling is so dry and uninteresting, with such rushed pacing, that even though the premise has potential it feels like watching someone submiting a report. And this episode was also full of unnecessary yuri baiting.
fuyukiOct 10, 2020 11:40 PM
Oct 11, 2020 12:42 AM
Mar 2016
fuyuki said:
I honestly don't feel this show, the storytelling is so dry and uninteresting, with such rushed pacing, that even though the premise has potential it feels like watching someone submiting a report. And this episode was also full of unnecessary yuri baiting.

Ikr, the anime is barely average for now and that yuri thing was unnecessary, even in the ln it wasn't like this, I'm pretty sure it was a normal friendship between the two girls but u know how Anime producers do their thing
The time skip is a big problem as well
The next episode will be much better, give it a chance there's a lot of good stories in the ln so I hope they do it well
Oct 11, 2020 12:44 AM

Jul 2013
Rainbowsaur said:
rizqy96 said:

She has travelled for 3 years, yet somehow she was careless and had never thought of a way to locate her brooch.. It is an actual flaw in the writing in my opinion.

I am bothered by it, because from the 1st episode the show established itself as a well written show.
It hasn't being 3 years when this episode takes place fyi, alot of people think that she's 18 atm, but you can think of it as she was 18 at the time of writing about episode 1. Anyways about the her brooch - not to say that that this was her first country she visited, but it was probably the first time she lost her brooch; and when you make a mistake once, you usually take measures for next time! I could understand your distain if it happened again and again but eh... You keep doing you, and I'll keep doing me; actually enjoying things.

Stardew said:

Why can't we be bothered that a witch had to search for lost items like a normal person? Why can't we have questions?

Nice imagination btw but don't put words in our mouth, when did we say that? Usually time spells don't go that far. So idk what your talking about.
Nothing wrong with questions, it's fair to wonder why witches don't have X ability, but getting "annoyed and bothered" at such just amazes me, I'm happy I don't think like that, or I'd find it hard to enjoy anything; constantly searching for something to be annoyed about and making up "inconsistencies" in my head.

You took it seriously? It was hyperbole, not a quote.

Really? In that case, then I have no problem with it. I was so confused with the timeline. The end of the first episode made it as if the second ep occurs three years later.

I watch anime like I consume other non-japanese tv shows, movies, and books, I tend to be critical. When people have watched enough high quality literature, movies, shows, etc, they're usually more critical with a lot of stuff including flaws in the narrative logic.

To you, It might not sound like fun way to watch a show. I can understand that. But, this is why I'm very picky in watching anime or why I like award winning western shows and movies like Game of thrones, Breaking bad, Birdman, etc. They usually have very good writing.
Oct 11, 2020 3:14 AM

Oct 2010
Dali14 said:
As expected, a bad episode, well it was more enjoyable in the ln and the yuri shit there was unnecessary, one of the worst chapters in the first book and I hope this is the worst ep in this season
The op and end were nice, Choucho <3
Now I'm looking forward for the next episode, probably we will see 2 short stories (ch2+3) I hope they make it as good as the ln

So, will it get better later? Smbdy told me original has kiddy-level writing, like author is straight from kindergarten.
First ep was so good givin AOTS vibes though, but then 2ep happened... I dun even understand all the people here praising it.

It seems I am the only one to rate ep2 1/5 atm
JemdoOct 11, 2020 3:19 AM
Oct 11, 2020 3:35 AM
Jul 2020
Didn't like this episode as much simply cause I didn't understand the reason for stealing the magic badge. She said she didn't want to be alone but there should really be no certainty that Elaina would stay at her hotel unless that is the only hotel where you don't need the badge in the whole city. Other than that part I liked it
Oct 11, 2020 4:23 AM
Mar 2012
Cute OP & ED is magical with the stenciled colors.
Elaina's sensei smug is great. That town follows the 3 mage classes and seems selling information is a norm, it's a bit weird.
I don't like what underhanded method Saya did, but understand her motive. Maybe we'll see the sis, and whether Saya grows independence as sensei Elaina instructed. It's nice at least she apologized with free hotel, and a very gay friendship.
Oct 11, 2020 8:01 AM

Feb 2016
rizqy96 said:

To you, It might not sound like fun way to watch a show. I can understand that. But, this is why I'm very picky in watching anime or why I like award winning western shows and movies like Game of thrones, Breaking bad, Birdman, etc. They usually have very good writing.
Fair enough. I really need to check out breaking bad some day, just cant sit myself down for it, hear so many great things, I go abit little off topic but you may have pushed that up the priority line abit mentioning it now, my friend mentioned it lastweek too.. really knuckled me to start watching it.

Dali14 said:
fuyuki said:

Ikr, the anime is barely average for now and that yuri thing was unnecessary, even in the ln it wasn't like this, I'm pretty sure it was a normal friendship between the two girls but u know how Anime producers do their thing
The time skip is a big problem as well
The next episode will be much better, give it a chance there's a lot of good stories in the ln so I hope they do it well
How have you read the ln and are calling time skips a big problem for this show o.O.

I don't get the people here talking about yuri, ya'll either too sensitive to it in a positive way or a negative way and emphasising it as such. You got the people who are out in need of it like rabbits on heat, and people out for it like its the devil that needs to be cruxified. I honestly felt 1 moment of what I could consider "yuri" and that was the hand holding teaching wind magic, and saya just being saya, the jumpy nervous starved of relation. And yeah, thats scene was how it was in the ln too, although different setting.
RainbowsaurOct 11, 2020 8:11 AM
Oct 11, 2020 8:07 AM

Jul 2013
Rainbowsaur said:
rizqy96 said:

Fair enough. I really need to check out breaking bad some day, just cant sit myself down for it, hear so many great things, I go abit little off topic but you may have pushed that up the priority line abit mentioning it now, my friend mentioned it lastweek too.. really knuckled me to start watching it.

Haha, nice. Hope you'll like it
Oct 11, 2020 8:33 AM

Apr 2012
Was hoping that this series would be more adventure-like, like Elaina really exploring the cities she visits and knowing stuff about this series' world. But I guess rather than that, it'd be more revolved around her interacting with people she meets?

I guess it's okay, the story's direction is a bit disappointing but still nice to watch.
Oct 11, 2020 5:48 PM

Jul 2020
Besides Kaisen this is my second favorite anime this season so far. Having that character development is something I look for in shows and this one definitely has it.
Oct 11, 2020 7:31 PM

Dec 2011
Already hate her personality so much was barely able to finish episode. Strong contender for a drop
Oct 11, 2020 8:57 PM
Feb 2008
I felt like the events were just breeze through... i couldn't connect with the moment... The MC is incredible but the rest of the characters? i didn't feel them.
Oct 12, 2020 12:05 AM

Apr 2015
don't mind me I'm just here for Eleina's legs

edit: don't take my word for this but apparently this show will be just like Violet Evergarden wherein one episode is a short story of its own. that said, this entire episode is all about Eleina's message to Saya which to be fair was amazing. one sentence and there's so much to pander about. I'm already personally invested in a show like this since we're in the year of pandemic. we need something to heal ourselves from.

edit2: is it weird that I'm enjoying this more than that edgy jujutsu one? that one felt like its just full of style but not substance which is different from this one.
kidlat020Oct 12, 2020 12:42 AM
>I had no brain when I was 12
>Then everyone must had no brain when they were 12
>I experimented 100 samples and proved that they had no brain when they were 12
>Therefore children cannot consent

This is what science has done to humanity.
Oct 12, 2020 4:34 AM

Mar 2014
It was a nice episode with Elaina teaching Saya how to become a witch. Kind of similar to the first one but I liked it. Plus it has some 'yuri' moments.
Also, great ending song by Choucho. I am a big fan of her.
Oct 12, 2020 7:30 AM

May 2019
This was slice of life-y and really wholesome. I love Saya as a character and every scene with her was amazing. I hope we see her again soon

We don't know what kind of people we truly are until the moment before our deaths.
As death comes to embrace you, you will realise what you are.
That's what death is, don't you think?

------------------------------------
Itachi Uchiha
Oct 12, 2020 10:23 AM

Oct 2017
Pretty predictable episode but it was quite touching. Elaina being a sadist was fun to watch.
Oct 12, 2020 4:20 PM

Aug 2009
kidlat020 said:
don't mind me I'm just here for Eleina's legs

edit: don't take my word for this but apparently this show will be just like Violet Evergarden wherein one episode is a short story of its own. that said, this entire episode is all about Eleina's message to Saya which to be fair was amazing. one sentence and there's so much to pander about. I'm already personally invested in a show like this since we're in the year of pandemic. we need something to heal ourselves from.

edit2: is it weird that I'm enjoying this more than that edgy jujutsu one? that one felt like its just full of style but not substance which is different from this one.
I liken this to being more like Mushishi where the protag doesn't stay in one place for too long, helps out others, and might have bittersweet/ambiguous vibes.
Oct 13, 2020 9:44 AM

Aug 2017
Good, cute episode. And love Elaina smug face.
Oct 13, 2020 10:16 AM

Jul 2020
Alright so Elaina is still really cute and sweet but strict when she needs to be. She is also pure but uses dishonest tricks to surpase the competition (Bilardo would be proud of her). Also followed that woman´s game by giving her a coin lol. Nice chapter, can aim for this to become top 3 anime this season. Far from typical shonen we consume everyday, this is calm, nice and sweet. Nice one here. 5/5 chapter and almost 8/10 show.
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Check my latest web novel on Our Greatest Comeback🦊⛩️ and please drop a like or comment if you liked it!
Oct 13, 2020 10:52 AM
Jul 2018
so, this series seems to be about Elaina's travels and mostly about her interactions with other people in these countries, as well as their individual stories from what I gather. I remembered reading the LN/WN some years ago but gave up after the first chapter (which this episode adapts). I'm not sure why but I just didn't like it as much as Kino no Tabi. The feeling this gives me is like...boring? or rather, incomprehensible? I'm not sure what the right word is, maybe I will be able find the right words at the end of this series...

Anyway, about this episode. For some reason, you can use magic to call back your broom but not your brooch that has your name/title on it. Weird how magic works, huh? This is a problem with stories where magic is involved: you can do X but you can't do Y because then the story would be unable to progress the way the author wants it to.
Oct 13, 2020 4:07 PM
Dec 2014
this is the strongest seasonal for me atm! it's heart-warming and grounded, but blends in magic quite well with effective worldbuilding. i really like elaina's character so far, though saya and madam fran's characters were nicely painted too. i sort of felt like the pacing of ep 1 was a bit rushed, but i've noticed they're putting in lots of time skips so i suppose it's functional to the plot and it'll all make sense at the end. i'm really glad i've encountered something that aligns so well with my tastes and i can't wait to see where elaina will travel next and who she'll help. hyped!
Oct 14, 2020 4:55 AM

Jul 2014
So, a more lighthearted Kino's Journey except the main character is a witch? I'd have thought such a thing would work well for me, but somehow the show isn't quite vibing with me at all. The yuri baiting, for instance, felt entirely unnecessary and Saya was honestly more annoying than sympathetic despite the show's best efforts.

I honestly don't know what is the cause, but if this show isn't working for me there's only one option so I'll be dropping this unfortunately.
Oct 14, 2020 4:57 AM

Feb 2017
Definitely keeping up the nice vibes in this episode, but I can’t help but want the show to play into the fantasy adventure more; for a world of magic, everything has seemed rather straightforward so far. Give me something wondrous, please.

Honestly, this is like the love child of Violet Evergarden and Magus Bride. I’ll be pretty content if it can bring out some more emotions and atmosphere; as is I’m still warmed by it, but not too deeply drawn in yet.
Oct 14, 2020 10:35 AM

Mar 2020
Not bad but not as good as the first episode. I'm really loving elaina more every episode,the yuri bait was annoying but everything else was alright.Since everyone is saying this was the worst part of vol1 I am glad we got rid of it right from the start lol
On a side note, can any of the LN readers confirm if there are any wizards?? Its strange that there are only witches so far
Oct 14, 2020 3:10 PM

Apr 2020
Opening and ending are really good, I love ChouCho.

I'm hoping this is like Kino no Tabi where each episode is set in a different country and has new characters.

Oct 14, 2020 4:14 PM

Oct 2008
hmmmmm... the visuals seems to be pretty good compared to the 1st episode huh...
4/5.

Oct 15, 2020 6:54 AM

Sep 2020
I'm in complete awe to people's reactions to this episode. Just reading through the lines made me wonder if some even understand what the show is actually about. It's an adventure fantasy, right? Then that's what we should get, and so far that's what we got, am I wrong?

What are all these complaints about the yuri aspect? I'm sorry I missed that, where was it? When Elaina was talking close to Saya's ear while teaching her wind magic? When Saya snuck closer to Elaina in bed? Would it had been any better if Saya was a boy and not a girl? Get a hold of yourselves, people. Though I guess that means we all have different understandings of what loneliness really means.

This is also unlike Violet Evergarden, which was just terribly sad, or Magus's Bride, which was very dark. This is just wholesome and probably will be until the very end if it keeps up the episodic storytelling. And the love and care that went into the art and characters is clearly visible in every frame of animation. The show really made it hard not to give a damn about it, especially after the 1st episode's scene where Elaina starts crying (as any 15 yo normally should after going through such a traumatizing experience), so what's the big idea? Can someone explain to me what people want? Seriously, please.
Oct 15, 2020 8:46 AM

Jul 2017
If last week's premiere episode is just the setup, this episode is the start of Ashen Witch Elaina's journey of being an as-is "Kino's Journey".

Not sure if y'all know, but this article's quite interesting, and quite the request for respect for the show not being mere fanservice:
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2020-10-05/wandering-witch-the-journey-of-elaina-creator-asks-anime-staff-not-to-show-panty-shots/.164881

Adapting Chapter 1 of both the LN and its manga adaptation counterpart (with some changes), it seems that Elaina's outward appearance is the same as last episode's discrimination of young and upcoming witches. But meeting the coincidental witch-cum-innkeeper manager Saya who wants to be a proficient apprentice witch under the tutelage of "Teacher" Elaina, that's saying much.

The Yuri baiting though, I'm not complaining...but why complain about it when it's only a part of the overall story, it's not like it will exist throughout the series. But the loneliness aspect, like Saya, Elaina has went through it by herself, so the resemblance is there.

Otherwise, with a calm and collected OST, this is going pretty good.
Oct 15, 2020 12:14 PM

Oct 2015
This show reminds me more of Arte rather than Kino to be honest
Oct 15, 2020 3:36 PM
May 2017
Is there going to be a time skip every episode? I hope not.
Oct 16, 2020 10:24 AM

Dec 2008
I would not go so easy with Saya.
Oct 17, 2020 2:27 AM

Jan 2020
I found Saya kinda likeable despite her clumsy personality. I just hope that she won't be forgotten and will appear in the show later.
Oct 17, 2020 6:56 AM
Jul 2020
The time interval of this anime is so fast hahahha, first episode is 4 years, 2nd episode 6 months, i wonder what age Elaina will be after the last episode ;) But yeah, overall a great episode but that was low from Saya..
Oct 18, 2020 4:43 AM

Jan 2016
I am not a big fan of the direction the show is taking. Elaina is shown as a wise witch already, when just last episode we saw her even getting the witch status. Worldbuilding was kinda wack this episode too, explored nothing at all.
Oct 18, 2020 10:07 AM

Mar 2010
Nb elaina learned a good lesson about trusting people lolz. But in the end she turned the tables.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Oct 19, 2020 4:32 PM

May 2015
Wow this episode was really enjoyable to watch!

But OH MY GOD THE YURI IS ADORABLE AF!!!!!!!!!!! The way Saya snuggled next to her was SO ADORABLE!!!!!!

Me: *Realises episode 3 is next* Oh god. Whats this gonna be then.

Also isnt Saya the girl on the cover? So she must be the MC's travel companion later on. Lots of timeskipping going on though. I'm guessing the beginning of this series will just keep skipping time and being episodic like how Balance Unlimited started.
Yuritopia FTW!!!!!!!!! BANZAI TO YURI !!!!!!!!!!!!
Oct 22, 2020 8:55 PM

Jan 2013
She's a teacher already? Damn boy xD Later in the episode, it was obvious that Saya took her amulet.
"There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards."

Oct 24, 2020 9:29 PM
Towel Attendant

Dec 2014
A fairly good episode that seems to indicate a stand alone type of series. Elaina is still a great MC because she has self strength. Saya was an annoying character and I hope lives a good life in another anime that I never watch.

The ED is very nice and the artwork is still top notch.
Oct 25, 2020 4:34 PM

Oct 2013
ahhhh this was much better than the first episode. Magical Girl Mushishi is what I came in for, and this was on point. magical and adorable.

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Nov 1, 2020 12:55 PM
Mar 2020
Does Anyone else find that the chorus of the opening sounds very familiar? can anybody help me out? I get such a nostalgic feel from it.
Nov 2, 2020 12:34 PM

Apr 2018
Really liked this episode because it showed how nice Elaina was to Saya although she attempted to take the brooch. Elaina taught Saya well like her teacher Fran did.
Nov 8, 2020 8:55 PM

Feb 2017
Am i the only one that found Saya really annoying?
Nov 8, 2020 10:57 PM
Aug 2020
tottobennington said:
Am i the only one that found Saya really annoying?

Yes she is. When Saya is a dude they will call it harassment.
Nov 10, 2020 2:32 AM
Mob Character C

Oct 2009
Looks like Elaina's got herself a girlfriend. o3o I'm down.

Admittedly, perhaps Saya's motivation was a bit weird or didn't feel convincing enough, but I'll take it for now.

Enjoy your anime! | Witch Cafe Wisteria
Nov 12, 2020 1:31 PM

Jun 2020
The way they explained why Saya robbed Elaina of her brooch was a little odd in my opinion, but besides that I liked this episode.

I think it was unique to see Elaina looking at a girl who was in a similar position as her and how Elaina would have basically tackled things differently through means of teaching Saya.

Definitely looking forward to how the series progresses, absolutely a fan of it so far!
Have a great day!

Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

» Does anyone know how long Elaina has been traveling and what age she started

Ninja_inslops - Nov 1, 2021

8 by Ranka-Nyan »»
Apr 19, 9:38 AM

Poll: » Majo no Tabitabi Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Dec 18, 2020

243 by BlueBullet178 »»
Apr 12, 5:33 PM

Poll: » Majo no Tabitabi Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 4, 2020

129 by BlueBullet178 »»
Apr 11, 11:37 AM

Poll: » Majo no Tabitabi Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Nov 13, 2020

173 by BlueBullet178 »»
Apr 9, 7:41 PM

Poll: » Majo no Tabitabi Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 2, 2020

276 by BlueBullet178 »»
Apr 9, 7:38 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.