Forum Settings
Forums

What's the biggest asspull in anime history?

New
Oct 31, 2019 3:54 AM

Feb 2019
Basically, writers using Deus Ex Machinas and simply coming up with things out of thin airs for convenience instead of logical storytelling. For me war arc Shippuden.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Oct 31, 2019 4:02 AM

Dec 2018
It was aliens all along in;

This ass was pulled so hard I still have whiplash.
Oct 31, 2019 4:04 AM
Jul 2018
The whole Fairy Tail series, especially Makarov, Erza and Natsu
Oct 31, 2019 4:09 AM

Feb 2019
@shotto not only was it an asspull, but it also was such typical trigger/gainax that it just was laughable.

@Gythia, any specifics or examples? Never seen it
Oct 31, 2019 4:14 AM
Jul 2018
Reminds me of sword art online, how asuna didn't die
Oct 31, 2019 4:21 AM

Apr 2011
Fairy Tail has the biggest asspull!
Oct 31, 2019 4:23 AM

Feb 2019
lavah said:

Several in SAO, besides Asuna there's Kirito not dying and also most of GGO

mootjee said:
Fairy Tail has the biggest asspull!

second mention of Fairy Tail, must have been really bad
Oct 31, 2019 4:25 AM
Oct 2015
I loved the Gantz manga until the Osaka Arc. But sadly after that, it went downhill.

In anime, I guess it was Darling in the FranXX. Trigger just keeps ripping off Gurren Lagann.
Oct 31, 2019 4:27 AM

Jul 2015
Every One Piece arc, especially after the
Oct 31, 2019 4:29 AM

May 2019
Boku no Pico had some pretty big ass pulls.
Oct 31, 2019 4:35 AM
Jul 2018
Jojo part 3
Oct 31, 2019 4:46 AM
Aug 2016
lavah said:

Ikr? If I remember correctly everyone who dies in the game dies irl as well, but Asuna didn't. I was glad that she didn't die tho.
Oct 31, 2019 4:48 AM

Jul 2017
The final battle in Soul Eater anime
Oct 31, 2019 5:25 AM

Feb 2015
Superns18 said:

Several times, mainly in the final arc, major characters "die", and then show up alive a few scenes later. Also, a few times when Erza gets beaten up badly, is about to get hit by the full power of a much stronger enemy, and she still pulls off a win.
Oct 31, 2019 5:37 AM
Apr 2017
Dr. Stone in its entirety. Dr. Arsepull would suit it nicely.
"The problem with defining even an aspect of your personality by something that you like, is that criticism of that product appears to you to be criticism of you personally. I find it to be a very harmful attitude, [...] you can't rationally discuss a product because you've started to define yourself by its very existence."

John Bain
Oct 31, 2019 5:37 AM
Jul 2018
Superns18 said:
A few examples, beware heavy spoilers. (got a bit lazy near the end)
First, Makarov

Next, Erza

And last but not least (when it comes to asspulls), Natsu
Oct 31, 2019 6:10 AM
Aug 2018
lavah said:

Guess you did not pay enough attention or you just have a really low IQ level.
Anyways here's the explanation "I firmly closed my eyes and allowed my tears to flow before asking:

"...What about those who died? Both of us are already dead, yet we continue to exist here. Doesn't that mean you can return the other four thousand dead to the original world as well?"

Kayaba's expression didn't change. He closed the window, put his hands into his pockets, and then said:

"Life can't be recovered so easily. Their consciousness will never return. The dead will disappear— this fact remains true in every world. I created this place only because I wanted to talk with you two— one last time."
I hope you at least know that there is a 10 seconds delay between dying in the game world and the nerve gear frying your brain.
Kayaba intentionally made it so that both of them dont die in real life as he wanted to talk with them and 10 seconds was nearly not enough for that.
Oct 31, 2019 6:13 AM

Feb 2019
Agree with fairy tail having the biggest asspulls especially with markarov. The guy should have been dead by now but he's still drinking his beer.
Oct 31, 2019 6:21 AM

Jun 2015
Mind Game. The MC literally pulls the gun he was going to get killed with using his ass.
Oct 31, 2019 6:35 AM
Jul 2018
immortaluchiha said:
lavah said:

Anyways here's the explanation "I firmly closed my eyes and allowed my tears to flow before asking:

"...What about those who died? Both of us are already dead, yet we continue to exist here. Doesn't that mean you can return the other four thousand dead to the original world as well?"

Kayaba's expression didn't change. He closed the window, put his hands into his pockets, and then said:

"Life can't be recovered so easily. Their consciousness will never return. The dead will disappear— this fact remains true in every world. I created this place only because I wanted to talk with you two— one last time."
I hope you at least know that there is a 10 seconds delay between dying in the game world and the nerve gear frying your brain.
Kayaba intentionally made it so that both of them dont die in real life as he wanted to talk with them and 10 seconds was nearly not enough for that.

Now explain why did he want to talk to them both. It's an asspull itself that he wanted to talk to them out of nowhere so that these two would live.
Oct 31, 2019 6:38 AM

Jul 2014
Fairy tail, Makarov cheated death more than 7x.
Erza's a literal walking plot convinient bitch and the whole story is just one big happy asspull.
Oct 31, 2019 6:39 AM

Jun 2016
I haven't watched fairy tail but my sister describes it as a series of giant asspulls one after the other.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Oct 31, 2019 6:49 AM

May 2018
Deus Ex Machina? Sounds like Code Geass and TTGL! I still really like TTGL tho.

Also Hunter x Hunter

reformed
Oct 31, 2019 6:52 AM

Jul 2015
Girls suddenly regaining all their body functions in Yuuki Yuuna wa Yuusha de Aru.
Best thing is, that in sequel they ass pulled ending again.

Oct 31, 2019 6:59 AM

Jul 2015
Kuroko-chan said:
lavah said:

Ikr? If I remember correctly everyone who dies in the game dies irl as well, but Asuna didn't. I was glad that she didn't die tho.

If I remember correctly, there was special item within the game, that allowed to resurrect slain players within 30 seconds or so, which Kirito squired from Santa boss, meaning that after HP drops to 0, player dies in real life after this 30 seconds or so.
Kirito defeated final boss before that 30 seconds have passed, so Asuna's brain wasn't fried and she just got disconnected from SAO, or rather transported to different game. I'm not sure about this, but it kinda makes sense.

Oct 31, 2019 7:01 AM

Oct 2019
Superns18 said:
@shotto not only was it an asspull, but it also was such typical trigger/gainax that it just was laughable.

Yea, it was a such a trigger thing. I saw the alien stuff and thought, "Huh, they pulled a kill la kill on us" cause both shows had decent build ups but then blames everything on god damn aliens.
"Perfection is perception. For me, humanity's imperfections is what makes it perfect"

Oct 31, 2019 7:06 AM
Jul 2017
Orion_Gospel said:

Any examples? The only major asspull I've seen so far is Snakeman and even that's explainable to an extent.
Oct 31, 2019 7:09 AM

Jul 2017
There's a lot I could mention, but Fairy Tail definitely takes the cake. Makarov makes Subaru's "return by death" ability look like a joke, and then Erza's ability is LITERALLY plot armour lmao

Edit: Also I loved Gurren Lagann but I thought it had some bad asspulls, same with Shippuden.
AttackonfillerOct 31, 2019 7:51 AM

Oct 31, 2019 7:10 AM
Jul 2017
WrngHoleOniiChan said:

Also Hunter x Hunter

I wouldn't call Hunter Gon an asspull because it obeys nen laws. Nanika on the other hand is one huge asspull.
Oct 31, 2019 7:17 AM
Aug 2016
Piromysl said:
Kuroko-chan said:

If I remember correctly, there was special item within the game, that allowed to resurrect slain players within 30 seconds or so, which Kirito squired from Santa boss, meaning that after HP drops to 0, player dies in real life after this 30 seconds or so.
Kirito defeated final boss before that 30 seconds have passed, so Asuna's brain wasn't fried and she just got disconnected from SAO, or rather transported to different game. I'm not sure about this, but it kinda makes sense.

Oh, I think I forgot that, but even after you mentioned it, it's still doesn't ring any bell in my head. Maybe I didn't pay too much attention to that part.
Oct 31, 2019 7:22 AM

Jun 2019
monkeyDberzerk said:
WrngHoleOniiChan said:

Also Hunter x Hunter

Nanika on the other hand is one huge asspull.
It ties to the new arc in the manga, and if you read it you see that things where not so simple for Gon.

Anime only will never understand it, though. You have to read the manga.
Oct 31, 2019 7:30 AM

Aug 2010
7 deadly sins.

most action boys tend to get stronger just through time skips, minimal training or unlocking a hidden power

but in 7 deadly sins, the characters just remember they are strong. Like they lost an earlier fight simply because they forgot about how powerful they actually are. Merlin is the biggest example. And its not like they have amnesia, its like it just skipped their mind (though really its clear the author is just making it up as he goes).
https://combosmooth.itch.io/ - I make free-to-play browser games for PC and I sell pixel art animation here
Oct 31, 2019 7:30 AM

May 2019
The Shippuden asspull that you mentioned was one of the biggest, the entire reveal was so terribly done that i dropped the series
Oct 31, 2019 7:32 AM

Jun 2019
I'm going to say the intirety of NGNL. However if I had to pick a single instance, it would definitely be the coin flip.
Oct 31, 2019 7:33 AM

Jul 2019
I can't help but think about Dr. Stone, especially
like it happened at least three times and I bet it will happen again in future episodes. I still love this anime so much. lol
Life is a despicable endurance race
Oct 31, 2019 7:47 AM

Oct 2008
Trapped in a game world, with game mechanics.
Oct 31, 2019 7:53 AM

Jan 2019
I can't choose so im gonna list them.

Sword Art Online season 1. Every time Kirito gets into Conflict Yui chan fights for him or he's demonically overpowered. Even the last battle. You die in game, You're supposed to die like all the hundreds of other players that died, in game. Not Kirito. He comes back to life with shear determination alone even though he's in a virtual world of someone else's creation.

JoJo season 1, When he gain his Hamon Power. Gain power by holding a cup of liquid in your hand and all of a sudden you say you understand how to use this new super power, Defeats bad guy.

JoJo's season 2, When the MC defeats the bad guy. The boy says, I am half dead with plenty of broken bones. I don't know why I pulled this rock out and I never knew what it does but all of a sudden I understand it now. It amplifies Hamon. Defeats bad guy.

Demon Slayer. Zenitsu fights. Makes the coward character that doesn't fight, pass out and start killing Demons. Demon is dead, He comes back to his senses. Oh snap, Who did that?

Demon Slayer. Fights the Ghost of a Kid for a few months thinking he's fighting a real boy as training. Nope, its just a Rock. How do you have a sword fight with a Ghost?

Dragonball Super. Soooo many asspulls. Trunks somehow does a Spirit Sword despite never learning the technique and Goku taking for ever to learn the spirit bomb technique. He takes their Ki without even asking like Goku has each time.
When 18 was fighting that wacky character. The character absorbed Ki from the people of universe and THE GODDESS OF DESTRUCTION (which can be considered cheating but I guess not cause Dragonball Superrrrr) . Annnd 18 wins the fight.
When Goku, 17, and 18 were fighting those Dog looking characters. They changed the gravity and was holding them down. Then Goku goes to Super Saiyan Blue, and overcomes the gravity and defeats them. Which makes no sense because when Goku was fighting 17, Goku couldn't even hit on 17 with a SUPER SAIYAN BLUE Kamehameha.
Every time Goku is in trouble in the tournament against Jiren, Ultra Instinct. Something that not even the Immortal Gods of Destruction can easily pull off. But he constantly spams it.
Oct 31, 2019 7:54 AM

Jan 2009
whats the difference between plot twist and asspull? because some of this responses make me question this especially with Darling in the FranXX
Oct 31, 2019 7:55 AM

Jan 2019
Nubiellee said:
like it happened at least three times and I bet it will happen again in future episodes. I still love this anime so much. lol

When who died? and How?

@deg
Plot Twist is when something very unexpected happens. Say for instance a woman that looks very young hits on a character. He thinks she a child. Plot twist, She's actually a 1000 year old Goddess.

AssPull is when the author saves a character with some great power or determination with no justification at all and cant possibly even make sense.

Mod Edit: Merged duplicated posts; please use the edit button.
FancyjasperNov 9, 2019 8:09 AM
Oct 31, 2019 7:59 AM

Jul 2017
Water-sama said:
Dragonball Super. Soooo many asspulls. Trunks somehow does a Spirit Sword despite never learning the technique and Goku taking for ever to learn the spirit bomb technique. He takes their Ki without even asking like Goku has each time.
When 18 was fighting that wacky character. The character absorbed Ki from the people of universe and THE GODDESS OF DESTRUCTION (which can be considered cheating but I guess not cause Dragonball Superrrrr) . Annnd 18 wins the fight.
When Goku, 17, and 18 were fighting those Dog looking characters. They changed the gravity and was holding them down. Then Goku goes to Super Saiyan Blue, and overcomes the gravity and defeats them. Which makes no sense because when Goku was fighting 17, Goku couldn't even hit on 17 with a SUPER SAIYAN BLUE Kamehameha.
Every time Goku is in trouble in the tournament against Jiren, Ultra Instinct. Something that not even the Immortal Gods of Destruction can easily pull off. But he constantly spams it.

I almost forgot about DBS because I had to stop taking it seriously after a certain point, the asspulls in that were some really next level stuff, absolutely horrible.

Oct 31, 2019 8:02 AM

May 2018
monkeyDberzerk said:
WrngHoleOniiChan said:

Also Hunter x Hunter

I wouldn't call Hunter Gon an asspull because it obeys nen laws. Nanika on the other hand is one huge asspull.

You're right, what I meant was the fact that Gon had to sacrifice literally everything, and Alluka just recovered him back to his usual state, besides the fact that he's not able to use nen anymore. The thing is, Ging said that he still has the ability to use nen, he just have to search for something in order to use nen once again. But yeah, my bad here, I've forgotten the details because I watched it quite a long time ago.

Tista said:
It ties to the new arc in the manga, and if you read it you see that things where not so simple for Gon.

Anime only will never understand it, though. You have to read the manga.

Yeah, I think I'll read it in the near future. Internet says that anime ends on chapter 338, should I start here or read it from the beginning? Does the plot vary significantly?
reformed
Oct 31, 2019 8:08 AM
Feb 2017
immortaluchiha said:
lavah said:

No need to get mad, SAO fanboy. He never says “There is a 10s delay” in the anime, so it’s understandable that most people think it’s like that. Even then, it’s still pretty BS that he made it in the last minute just to talk to them.
Oct 31, 2019 8:10 AM
Sep 2019
Kurgo said:
Dr. Stone in its entirety. Dr. Arsepull would suit it nicely.

That's funny. Haha. And as much I love the show, I gotta agree. The dude and everything he does is magic. Most of it doesn't make sense. And I just try my best to not make sense of any of it.
Ya boy is going to Con Alt Delete 2020! See you there!

Oct 31, 2019 8:17 AM

Jan 2009
Water-sama said:
@deg
Plot Twist is when something very unexpected happens. Say for instance a woman that looks very young hits on a character. He thinks she a child. Plot twist, She's actually a 1000 year old Goddess.

AssPull is when the author saves a character with some great power or determination with no justification at all and cant possibly even make sense.

ye by that definition the
of darling in the franxx is not an asspull
Oct 31, 2019 8:22 AM

Jul 2015
monkeyDberzerk said:
Orion_Gospel said:

Any examples? The only major asspull I've seen so far is Snakeman and even that's explainable to an extent.

Best example i can give is the battle between Luffy and Doflamingo
Oct 31, 2019 8:22 AM

Jul 2019
Water-sama said:
Nubiellee said:

When who died? and How?

Well for exemple in one of the first episode if I remember correctly

Mod Edit: Modified quote of edited post.
FancyjasperNov 9, 2019 8:09 AM
Life is a despicable endurance race
Oct 31, 2019 8:34 AM

Jan 2019
The weird Black Stone crap that encases them all was actually some sort of Miracle healing crap. Senku had it on his neck. The guy broke Senku's neck. Senku healed with it. The guy thought he killed Senku when he hit him, but he never even killed him. It was assumed that he killed him.

I can't remember what episode number it tells about the Miracle crap but yeah. Whatever entity that encased Humanity in that crap, actually gave Humanity some sort of super healing concoction.
Oct 31, 2019 8:38 AM
Jan 2018
Nubiellee said:
Water-sama said:

When who died? and How?

Well for exemple in one of the first episode if I remember correctly

Even though we sore him crack his neck throughout leading up to that point which he doesn't anymore

Kuroko-chan said:
Piromysl said:

Oh, I think I forgot that, but even after you mentioned it, it's still doesn't ring any bell in my head. Maybe I didn't pay too much attention to that part.

Kirto gave that item to klain the red haird dude . Kitro was originally going to use it for sasha but couldn't

Mod Edit: Modified quote of edited post.

Mod Edit: Merged duplicated posts; please use the edit button.
FancyjasperNov 9, 2019 8:10 AM
Oct 31, 2019 8:45 AM
Sep 2019
monkeyDberzerk said:
WrngHoleOniiChan said:

Also Hunter x Hunter

I agree. With nen laws you can make conditions to gain power. And Gon makes the biggest giving up his nen and basically life altogether. Now introducing Nanika all of a sudden who can completely heal him is a huge asspull although I don't mind totally cuz Gon is back lol.
Oct 31, 2019 8:45 AM

Jun 2019
monkeyDberzerk said:
Orion_Gospel said:

Nope. Nor G4 nor Snake man can be considered an asspull but rather "gear second" but it's an asspull done however right. Oda realized he did a mistake and tried resolving it to which he did later on with Luffy's training. It was something with it's downrights to which makes it an asspull done right.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » how often do you self insert or empathize with anime characters? and do you imagine how good or bad the characters situation or experience is too

deg - 2 minutes ago

0 by deg »»
2 minutes ago

» Do you wish your culture was more represent in anime?

Spunkert - 3 hours ago

18 by Zarutaku »»
3 minutes ago

» Anime that you started watching because of Social Media

ST63LTH - 5 hours ago

24 by BitChilly »»
5 minutes ago

» What old anime could become popular today?

W3TFT - Apr 18

21 by Horshu »»
6 minutes ago

» Is it ok to finish anime you don't enjoy ? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 19

78 by Horshu »»
6 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.