Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Oct 6, 2018 5:52 PM

Mar 2012
Cabron said:
deg said:
i like it, there are too many mysteries on the first episode though so might expect answers on later episodes then

Rikka is best girl material already too
VanishingKira said:
"In normal anime, the first episode is exciting and the second episode is a chill cool-down. Gridman is the other way around. Episode 1 was just a chill intro. Things will get wild in episode 2!"
-Akira Amemiya

"The first episode was very good! But the second episode and further are even better. The show is just starting, things will get exciting. Look forward to it."
-Keiichi Hasegawa.

And episode 3 is supposed to have some kind of twist and to watch atleast up to it.
The twist is
How are you so sure? The old Gridman show?
Oct 6, 2018 6:03 PM

Jun 2009
I did not know anything about the series before i watched it, and i can tell trigger is going to have fun with this
Oct 6, 2018 6:12 PM

Sep 2018
I quite liked it even though I have no experience with Gridman before this. Definitely can't wait to see how the mysteries play out.
Oct 6, 2018 6:18 PM

Jan 2013
SparkleDuck said:
Cabron said:
The twist is
Pretty much?
In the og show, Gridman fights in a virtual world inside of a computer.
So this might be a continuation of that.
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Oct 6, 2018 6:21 PM

Mar 2012
Cabron said:
SparkleDuck said:
Pretty much?
Makes sense, I never saw the original so I wouldn't have known.
Oct 6, 2018 6:40 PM

Apr 2012
I have a feeling that I was watching some kind of school slice of life in KyoAni style (damn, they even had a Ritsu's cameo) in which for some reason added robots and monsters in the end.

Oct 6, 2018 6:46 PM

Jan 2011
seems neat guess it really is a reboot of some old sentai stuff huh wonder even with it being done by trigger if it's gonna get overshadowed by all the other shows airing on the weekend.

designs are cute sorta reminds me of the summer wars etc designs ,wish they kept the 2D art the whole time it looked good but now aday's you can only expect sunrise to do non CGI mecha.
Oct 6, 2018 7:04 PM

Nov 2013
ZetaKai1219 said:
Gridman really reminds me of Ultraman. Great first episode; felt kinda slow at first but my adrenaline kicked in once the kaiju showed up. Will be looking forward to more episodes of this show.
P.S. if you think this rips off or was inspired by Evangelion, get out of my sight; the original Gridman tokusatsu show came two years before that.

I mean, I think Gridman was made by the same producers of Ultraman so you're not wrong.
Oct 6, 2018 7:06 PM

Nov 2013
Cabron said:
SparkleDuck said:
Pretty much?

The first thing I said was that it seemed like a sequel to the show, almost. So I really like this idea. It would explain the stuff with the school and the MCs memory loss too.
Oct 6, 2018 7:18 PM

Jan 2013
SparkleDuck said:
Cabron said:
Pretty much?
Makes sense, I never saw the original so I wouldn't have known.
Well either that, both worlds are merging (real and virtual) or one of the students is actually a baddie.

Anyway can't believe I missed those Brave Series/Obari references, one of them being the Obari punch when Gridman punches the fireball, credit to @MrMushin:

There's also a reference to Fighbird (also from the Brave Series) when Gridman uses his beam and the explosion afterwards.
And a Might Gaine (Brave Series) reference with the face close up:

@spaceinvaderlum Agreed.
CabronOct 6, 2018 7:29 PM

Oct 6, 2018 7:44 PM

Mar 2014
ultra man clone brings back childhood memories
Oct 6, 2018 7:48 PM

Mar 2013
Oh, how far has Trigger fallen.
added the fourth most popular anime onto this site
Oct 6, 2018 8:47 PM
Dec 2014
This first episode was pretty good if you set your expectations appropriately. If you expected a redemption for Franxx or the next kill la kill then your gonna be disappointed, but if you just expected a simple and silly animated sentai show then this is enjoyable.
Oct 6, 2018 8:54 PM
Mar 2017
Gridman impressed me, after seeing the last PV I was convinced to see it and was satisfied with what I saw, the design of the Kaijus was decent, the characters are not bad and the action was very well done.
Yuuta, the MC for some reason has amnesia and Rikka, his classmate helps him, within these events Yuuta is called by a robot called Gridman from a very old computer and he asks him to fulfill his mission. Later we see the school environment and the dynamics in Yuuta´s class, here we meet another character that seems to be the protagonist, Akane who is one these girls with good intentions and who has a somewhat eccentric personality. Finally the moment of truth arrives and a Kaiju appears and attacks the city, there Yuuta decides to cooperate and work with Gridman to stop the Kaiju, the fight was well animated, if it was quite fast, but it is only the beginning and the end leave me with curiosity, what happened ?, the school the previous day was on fire and then it comes out as if nothing had happened, if in the next episode appears the girl who was in the gym and receives the fireball from the monster, that means that something very weird happens here.
Anyway, I'll give this anime a chance, first, it has a decent character design and the two protagonist girls were to my liking, the MC and his friend do not seem to be weak, then there is the design of Gridman and the Kaijus, i liked it a lot and they have that retro look of the old Ultraman series and movies.
Oct 6, 2018 10:15 PM

Jan 2018
Hmm It was a decent first episode, I hear it picks up in the next episode so we'll see. I really hope this show turns out to be good though lol.
Oct 7, 2018 12:06 AM

Mar 2014
It's kinda corny this Ultraman rip-off but not too bad
Oct 7, 2018 12:15 AM

Aug 2008
Wow, it was terrible. Half assed animation, more stills than in a shaft series, MC's design (what the hell is with this hair, at first I thought it was an ugly girl), nonsensical writing. Can we already start shunning Trigger?
Ii tenki desu ne...
Oct 7, 2018 12:42 AM

Jan 2013
RedChrome said:
Studios can rip off their own properties?

Oct 7, 2018 12:43 AM
Apr 2017
this really nostalgic, feels like warching ultraman but with modern setting
Oct 7, 2018 12:53 AM

Jan 2016
I really like the classroom atmosphere, really reminds me of my high school year. The characters are nice too. I like Rikka thigh
Oct 7, 2018 1:49 AM
Apr 2017
this really nostalgic, feels like warching ultraman but with modern setting
Oct 7, 2018 3:16 AM

Apr 2008
I liked it, especially the first half, it had a very nostalgic atmosphere reminding me of anime of the 90s - Lain comes to my mind with a bit of Evangelion. The lack of background music had me felt of the isolation and the chill of something big is about to come down. And the character acting has sold me hard, especially the voice acting of Rikka: I'm always on for when VAs talk "naturally", feels like it's real people talking to each other. The CGI monster at the second half was kinda wonky, but I'm not really bothered since tokusatsu* shows are always kinda silly anyways. But what about the school repairing itself, that gets me thinking... maybe we're witnessing a time loop? I'm probably wrong, just guessing here.

But all these stuff are very atypical of what Trigger did so far from what I've seen, especially Imaishi. It's more like early Gainax and I'm all for it.

EDIT:*and here I am, speaking utter nonsense and not knowing the correct terms. But the point still stands.
gomennasaiOct 7, 2018 3:42 AM
Sorry, due to licensing limitations, this signature is unavailable in your region.
Oct 7, 2018 3:21 AM

May 2018
You know what, they could just keep on going like this, monster of hte week, battle with plenty of destruction, and I'm still gonna love it
I could do with some old-school super sentai right now. During the battle I was already screaming along with Gridman, I had waay to much fun :D
This is not your planet to rule. The Fallen shall rise again.
Oct 7, 2018 3:50 AM
Jan 2016
The first couple of promo materials for this anime had somber & a bit eerie atmosphere to them, but the rest were the exact opposite. Just like them, most of this episode had no musical score, eerie mysterious atmosphere, & deliberate shots, but then the tone & directing style suddenly changed when the (oddly well-lit & derpy-looking) monster appeared. I am concerned this clash of tones will continue throughout the series.

gomennasai said:
I liked it, especially the first half, it had a very nostalgic atmosphere reminding me of anime of the 90s - Lain comes to my mind with a bit of Evangelion. The lack of background music had me felt of the isolation and the chill of something big is about to come down. And the character acting has sold me hard, especially the voice acting of Rikka: I'm always on for when VAs talk "naturally", feels like it's real people talking to each other. The CGI monster at the second half was kinda wonky, but I'm not really bothered since tokusatsu* shows are always kinda silly anyways.

That's kind of my concern. The staff wanted to present a different kind of Tokusatsu/Ultraman, but still trying to keep the feel of Tokusatsu. Which were clashing quite a bit in this episode. I was so happy & surprised with the direction at first, but then the derpy monster appeared.
Oct 7, 2018 4:00 AM

Feb 2014
The show kinda feels nostalgic and there's Midorikawa Hikaru as Gridman!!! I love it.
When someone asks me why I like anime, I'd say Just Because.

Oct 7, 2018 4:25 AM

Apr 2008
@TheServant I get what you're saying and there's the feeling of "two shows in one", but me after watching a bunch of Precure episodes - which is massively influenced by sentai/tokusatsu stuff (but doing its own thing) - I'm not that bothered by it, in fact it's always kinda been the point: there's real world stuff, but suddenly monsters apppear, at least that's how it goes at the beginning. And I've read somewhere a massive tonal shift is about to happen after episode 3, so it might render everything we know so far about the series moot. At least for those like me who haven't seen the live action Gridman, so I'm going in blind.
Sorry, due to licensing limitations, this signature is unavailable in your region.
Oct 7, 2018 4:49 AM
Jan 2016
gomennasai said:
@TheServant I get what you're saying and there's the feeling of "two shows in one", but me after watching a bunch of Precure episodes - which is massively influenced by sentai/tokusatsu stuff (but doing its own thing) - I'm not that bothered by it, in fact it's always kinda been the point: there's real world stuff, but suddenly monsters apppear, at least that's how it goes at the beginning. And I've read somewhere a massive tonal shift is about to happen after episode 3, so it might render everything we know so far about the series moot. At least for those like me who haven't seen the live action Gridman, so I'm going in blind.

Oh, no, that's not my problem. I am fine with the monster, Gridman, & any of the less grounded aspects, but the execution & tone of that part were so different with the rest of the episode. Imagine if the first episode of Evangelion started with the somber tone then when the mech part happened the tone & execution changed to Gurren Lagann's whacky & over the top action. That's the problem I have with the first episode.

A tonal shift? Could you provide the source?
Oct 7, 2018 5:00 AM

Nov 2015
The dialogue was uninteresting and the designs for the kaiju/mecha were unappealing.
Oct 7, 2018 5:03 AM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
I quite enjoyed this episode! The humor so far is right up my alley, I love those pregnant pauses and the voice acting. The characters also seem chill. The direction in this episode was fun and dramatic as well. As for the story, I feel like this could be interesting, if not at the very least, entertaining.

TRIGGER has pretty much always been a miss for me, aside from the first half of Darlifra, but I think I might be able to enjoy this one, as it's already established a comedic tone.
Oct 7, 2018 5:22 AM

Dec 2016
I am loving this show! People are saying the characters are bland but for me, they are refreshing. I loved how normal they were and it'll set up for some good character development. I loved the quietness of the episode, really reminds me of Eva. The world is a mystery and I can't wait for them to shed light on this matter. Me, as a mecha and ultraman fan, is hyped for this anime.

The song was also pretty good. Is it the same singer from the Ultraman R/B opening?

But I do understand people being turned off by the cg and the weird still images.
War really is cruel, heh?Whether you win or not, you always lose more than you gain.
The victor can still console themselves by counting their gains,
but the defeated can only count everything they've lost.
-Kondo Isao-
Oct 7, 2018 5:25 AM
Jul 2018
i like the grill.
which is a miracle
Oct 7, 2018 5:26 AM

Apr 2008
@TheServant I'm trying to google it as we speak but I can't find the actual article. I'm pretty sure one of the sakuga nerds have posted about it on Twitter.

I get what you're saying. It might have worked better as a live action, at least I feel as if that's what had in the director's mind as an inspiration. But I still liked it, with the characters starting to get used to the unusual situation, then starts cooperating and all. If the rest of the series gets stronger though, it's probably going to look weak in retrospective, at least compared to the others, but we'll see.
Oct 7, 2018 5:32 AM

May 2010
I'm not into mecha kaiju thing but this first episode feel very pleasant especially first part.
Oct 7, 2018 7:07 AM

Mar 2014
Cabron said:
RedChrome said:
Studios can rip off their own properties?

Oh yeah I forgot its the same studio... okay maybe not rip off but more like copying their own stuff !!
Oct 7, 2018 7:45 AM

Oct 2013
Pretty interesting start. And not because of the mecha action.

But of course, the Trigger haters are already sharpening their pitchforks.
Oct 7, 2018 9:54 AM

May 2017
Despite what others are saying, this felt like a Trigger experience to me.
If this really was the chill intro, I'm looking forward to the 2nd episode. Already much more pleasant to watch than Franxx.
Oct 7, 2018 10:54 AM

May 2016
As a mecha hater, I enjoyed this quite a bit. Looks like there might be a fair amount of interpersonal/relationship development as well, which will be a nice distraction from the, ah, mechs...

I wasn't even going to pick it up, but I saw it on ~some website~ and I liked the art quite a bit, so this was a last-minute decision. The last mecha show I gave a chance to was Trigger's last orgy-in-disguise memefest, so let's hope this is something different (which it seems like it is, so far).
Oct 7, 2018 12:46 PM

Feb 2015
Cabron said:
Already seeing those callbacks to the original Gridman, even saw an Ultraman reference.

Anyway, this isn't just a Trigger show.
It's a collab between Trigger and Tsuburaya Productions.

Stark700 said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
This kinda reminds me of Sentai shows with the mecha gimmicks and style of storytelling.
That's tokusatsu my dude.
Stark700 said:
The mech can also speak and seems to even have a personality which is cool.
Yep, just like the original.

YizelTro said:
ULTRAMAN ?
?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!
this is a joke, isnt it ?!
still trying to gather my thoughts.
it's decent tho.
Heh that's cuz Ultraman and Gridman are owned by the same studio.

reallly ?!
are you sure ?
trigger own ultraman ?
Oct 7, 2018 12:53 PM

Jun 2017
YizelTro said:
Cabron said:
Already seeing those callbacks to the original Gridman, even saw an Ultraman reference.

reallly ?!
are you sure ?
trigger own ultraman ?

Actually it's Tsuburaya that owns Ultraman and Gridman.
Oct 7, 2018 12:54 PM

Jun 2017
GoldenChrysus said:
As a mecha hater, I enjoyed this quite a bit. Looks like there might be a fair amount of interpersonal/relationship development as well, which will be a nice distraction from the, ah, mechs...

I wasn't even going to pick it up, but I saw it on ~some website~ and I liked the art quite a bit, so this was a last-minute decision. The last mecha show I gave a chance to was Trigger's last orgy-in-disguise memefest, so let's hope this is something different (which it seems like it is, so far).

One question? Why do you hate mecha?
Oct 7, 2018 1:08 PM

Jan 2013
who came up with this atrocious title and thought placing four of the same letters consequently together after each other was a good idea? i could overlook franxx's double-x but 4S? come on, it doesn't justify the weakness of ep1 in any manner. they might as well go the triple-a way because that stands for failure which is kinda suitable for this case as it wasn't all too well received from what i gather. it appears trigger has been ona downward spiral ever since they pulled some monetary plugs, a mayor blow for the company indeed and quite worrisome.
Oct 7, 2018 1:13 PM

Jun 2017
HibiChika said:
who came up with this atrocious title and thought placing four of the same letters consequently together after each other was a good idea? i could overlook franxx's double-x but 4S? come on, it doesn't justify the weakness of ep1 in any manner. they might as well go the triple-a way because that stands for failure which is kinda suitable for this case as it wasn't all too well received from what i gather. it appears trigger has been ona downward spiral ever since they pulled some monetary plugs, a mayor blow for the company indeed and quite worrisome.

Well I believe the S.S.S.S. was based off of the original show's name in the US, which was Superhuman Samurai Syber-Squad.
Oct 7, 2018 1:44 PM
Dec 2016
The original Gridman was made during a long "Who made Ultraman?" conflict between TBS channel and Tsuburaya. It was the first TV series after a long freezing period for Tsuburaya. So... it has kinda weird style.
Plus, the project was originally proposed by Takara, not Bandai the Ultraman series sponsor. Takara was intentionally trying to copy Super Sentai in those days.
Still, Takara tried to put their own vibes into the series. One staff told the designer "this mech is supposed to be like Convoy". That's why Optimus Prime face mech appears.
To sum it up, the original Gridman was supposed to be Ultraman + Super Sentai + Transformer from the beginning.

I grew up watching Gridman but, to be honest, it's a quite fucked up series. In other words, the new Gridman creators have more freedom to add new anime vibes into the series cuz few people have fixed image on IP.
e_hobaOct 7, 2018 2:04 PM
Oct 7, 2018 2:49 PM

Jun 2017
Wow, this was a lot better than I expected. The subject matter itself was pretty run-of-the-mill, but the direction was really unique which kept me engaged. Could not have expected something like this from the guy who directed Inferno Cop. I guess a lot of people don't recognize this since the score is so low. Also the character designs were cool too. Overall really hype for this, if something interesting happens (I hear something does by the third episode) this could be one of my favorites even.
Snot-nosed_BratOct 7, 2018 3:01 PM
Oct 7, 2018 3:14 PM

Nov 2016
I wasn't sure at the beginning, but I was sold out at the end. Looking forward to more.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Oct 7, 2018 3:37 PM

Jan 2013
YizelTro said:
Cabron said:

reallly ?!
are you sure ?
trigger own ultraman ?
Tsuburaya Productions owns Ultraman and Gridman.

Oct 7, 2018 5:59 PM

Oct 2012
This show is going to make it easy to tell which of us are hardcore tokusatsu lovers and which of us just jumped on this because they saw Trigger.
Oct 7, 2018 7:25 PM
May 2017
This was an interesting start, definitely got better vibes out of this than DITF's first episode. This looks like it's going to be a show aimed at a specific crowd with a signature cheap but powerful style, especially it's directed by the dude who made Inferno Cop, but I can see how a lot of people who don't get what this show is trying to do will get really turned off by this. Will wait until later episodes for a better picture though, I'd imagine that we're gonna get some really kickass animation due to the obvious budget manipulation.
Oct 7, 2018 9:03 PM

Jul 2012
GemTastical said:
This show is going to make it easy to tell which of us are hardcore tokusatsu lovers and which of us just jumped on this because they saw Trigger.

You're not wrong.
Oct 7, 2018 10:06 PM
Jul 2018
Oh boy, this first episode hit all the right spots, it just feels so nostalgic with that tokusatsu vibe. I didn't know that Gridman was a tokusatsu and that it was created by the same company that did Ultraman, so I came into this completely blind just expecting a good mecha anime from Trigger. I must say that I have been pleasantly surprised by this and I hope it only gets better from now on.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » SSSS.Gridman Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 27, 2018

103 by Timeline_man »»
Apr 22, 10:24 PM

Poll: » SSSS.Gridman Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 13, 2018

162 by Timeline_man »»
Apr 22, 10:18 AM

Poll: » SSSS.Gridman Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 22, 2018

390 by DanKyoko »»
Apr 16, 8:41 PM

Poll: » SSSS.Gridman Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 15, 2018

83 by DanKyoko »»
Apr 16, 7:37 PM

Poll: » SSSS.Gridman Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 8, 2018

90 by DanKyoko »»
Apr 16, 6:47 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.