Forum Settings
Forums

Manga 'City Hunter' Receives New Anime Film Adaptation

New
Mar 19, 2018 1:46 AM
Content Admin
Overkilled Red

Aug 2013
In commemoration of the anime series' 30th anniversary, an official website opened for a new anime film adaptation of Tsukasa Hojo's action comedy manga City Hunter on Monday. Tentatively titled City Hunter The Movie, the film will open in Japan in the early spring of 2019, and take place in modern day Shinjuku, featuring a new story. The director and lead cast members are reprising their roles from the original anime.

Staff
Chief Director: Kenji Kodama (City Hunter)
Script: Youichi Katou (Youkai Watch)
Studio: Sunrise
Distribution: Aniplex

Cast
Ryou Saeba: Akira Kamiya (Hokuto no Ken)
Kaori Makimura: Kazue Ikura (One Piece)

City Hunter ran in Weekly Shounen Jump from 1985 to 1991, and has over 50 million copies of its 35 compiled volumes in print. The manga inspired four TV anime, two anime films, three specials, and two OVAs, including the latest episode produced by Kamikaze Douga in 2015.

The series was also previously adapted into multiple live action adaptations outside Japan. A Chinese live-action film adaptation is scheduled to be released after December 2018. Another live-action film by Sony Pictures France titled Nicky Larson will open on February 6, 2019.

Teaser PV

Official site: http://cityhunter-movie.com/
Official Twitter: @cityhuntermovie

Source: PR Times

City Hunter Movie on MAL
VindstotSep 5, 2020 2:14 PM

Mar 19, 2018 2:54 AM
Jan 2016
I want to watch this, but that screenwriter does not really inspire confidence.
Mar 19, 2018 3:06 AM

May 2015
TheServant said:

You'd drop it anyway, so does it really matter?

Mar 19, 2018 3:38 AM

Apr 2015
I guess it is time for me to start watching/reading City hunter, it's been a while that i planned to check it.
Mar 19, 2018 3:40 AM

Nov 2013
TheServant said:

It says Kenji Kodama is directing it and it’s by Sunrise, the same studio and director who worked on the original series.
Mar 19, 2018 3:57 AM

Mar 2014
Aw yeah! I'm so excited about this! :D
Especially after not getting a chance to see the OVA they bundled with the re-print of the manga.

TheServant said:

What's wrong with Youichi Katou?
He penned some episodes of Space Brothers, and also worked on the Yatterman and Time Bokan revivals, and it seems he's the lead writer on Yokai Watch. Looking at the list of things he's worked on, he mostly does kids shows, but I'm sure his comedic sense would work great for the funny moments. Not sure about the serious moments, but I'm sure the director will guide him on that stuff. Staff seems good thus far, if you ask me.
::End of Transmission::

Mar 19, 2018 4:11 AM

Apr 2012
Wow, that's a surprise. I will definitely wait, as I love the original series and its atmosphere of the 80's action movies.
Mar 19, 2018 5:12 AM

Dec 2015
TheServant said:

You and your screenwriter fetish needs to calm the fuck down.
Mar 19, 2018 5:21 AM

Mar 2015
i hope they don't change the animation much ,a lot of the old animation look better than now .the animation these days is just too bright
Mar 19, 2018 5:21 AM

Mar 2015
i hope they don't change the animation much ,a lot of the old animation look better than now .the animation these days is just too bright
Mar 19, 2018 5:55 AM
Jul 2018
I was planning to watch City Hunter some of these day and nice to see a Anime flim by sunrise! Hopefully can finish with City Hunter series before this comes out. Also nice to see its being directed by same director of original series.

I imagine this will be remake.
Mar 19, 2018 6:37 AM
Jan 2016
Kittens-kun said:
You'd drop it anyway, so does it really matter?

I am sorry for offending you by my practice.

Blarey said:
It says Kenji Kodama is directing it and it’s by Sunrise, the same studio and director who worked on the original series.

I know, & those are not the aspects that I am worried about.

vigorousjammer said:
Looking at the list of things he's worked on, he mostly does kids shows, but I'm sure his comedic sense would work great for the funny moments.

That's exactly what I am worried about, he mostly worked on kids-only anime. From my experience, that's not really a good sign, just saying.

Robiiii said:
You and your screenwriter fetish needs to calm the fuck down.

Do not worry, I do not have that fetish. And who are you? Have we chat before or something? Sorry, I am forgetful sometimes.

kaitoXotaku96 said:
the animation these days is just too bright

The animation or the visuals? And what do you mean by bright? The colour palette? The atmosphere? Or something else?
Mar 19, 2018 6:41 AM

Mar 2015
what a nostalgia... and it was directed by the veteran it self... i have nothing to complain here...
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Mar 19, 2018 7:17 AM

Jun 2013
I'm tearing up now... and having a mokkori too.
Mar 19, 2018 9:29 AM

Feb 2011
MOKKORIIIII!

Super excited for this film!
Mar 19, 2018 9:32 AM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
One of the many series I have been to see for years, maybe this will movie will represent my gate into the franchise itself...
Mar 19, 2018 10:08 AM
Jun 2017
Yessss!!! God really is alive. Mokkori!
Mar 19, 2018 10:24 AM
Oct 2017
i hope jackie chan is in this one also and everyone is gay except me
Mar 19, 2018 1:15 PM
May 2015
It's nice that this is getting a revival, and I hope that despite its retro feel (and bringing back the cast/crew from the 80s series) it is modern enough that today's audiences will enjoy it.

More topics from this board

» Manga 'Hanazakari no Kimitachi e' Gets Anime

DatRandomDude - 1 hour ago

5 by Piromysl »»
3 minutes ago

» 'Megami no Café Terrace Season 2' Reveals Additional Cast, First Promo

Hyperion_PS - Today

11 by iwubanime »»
2 hours ago

» Smartphone Game 'Garena Free Fire' Gets Anime Project

Hyperion_PS - May 12

41 by SpiderMiles3523 »»
5 hours ago

» 'Ore wa Subete wo "Parry" suru' Unveils Additional Cast, Staff, Theme Songs

Nioxys - Today

0 by Nioxys »»
Today, 8:39 AM

» Manga 'Kinoko Inu' Receives TV Anime in Fall 2024

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

2 by Zedlin »»
Today, 8:03 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.