Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Nov 1, 2017 2:49 PM

Nov 2011
Red_Ryu12345 said:
Oh that video,

it's not even $6 a month, but $5 (for a year subscription of $60 on CR)
/minor detail
You can buy lossless digital music from your favorite Japanese artists on https://ototoy.jp/.
The songs are all DRM-free and you can re-download your purchased albums as you wish.
Show your support to your favorite artist if you can!
ps. if you are looking for Japanese albums, you have to search it in Japanese (not romaji). Just copy and paste the name.

For those who want to learn Japanese through anime
Resources for learning the language
Nov 1, 2017 3:16 PM

Oct 2014
Yudina said:
Killbay_Kun said:

Show don't tell.
If you find the argument that he made invalid then show us why you think that argument is invalid instead of acting like you were a business profissional (which you aren't).
If you can't do that then it's obvious why a lot of people use a argument that you disaggre with m8.
I'm not interested in making arguments against people who post these kind of videos, but sure I'll bite. For starters, yes, I work in business and have for the last 6+ years, so I'm always happy when people doubt my credentials simply because I make the salient point that none of you guys have any experience in economics and finance. I maintain that you don't know jack shit, so let's move on.

The argument is inherently retarded in the actual theory of business decision making practices. If enough people unsubscribe, the business will close down and stop operating and move on to other things. That's just how it works. I don't know where people got this impression that consumer activism in boycotting products ever substantially changed business practices, but it is essentially a myth of modern capitalism. It simply either doesn't exist or doesn't exist nearly to the degree that people think.

Cases where companies do "wrong" and "change" are meant to salvage reputation and branding for competitive purposes. That isn't the case in a market that is dominated by consumers largely apathetic to "brand" (since the product received is the same) and have players that are largely not competitive with one another. Furthermore, it's even worse if the consumer is moving onto something that is free, because business makers are looking at this from a cost/benefit perspective. If the consumer has moved onto an identical product that is free, there is no reason for the business to continue operating/changing their price model because delivering their product for anything less than free is not only not competitive, it's going to lose money.

In other words, this idea is legit retarded. You're literally telling people to stop their subscriptions and wait till Crunchyroll bleeds so much money that they'll do whatever it takes to get their subscribers back. News flash: That will never happen. The moment Crunchyroll sees that enough people abandon their product and that it's an unsustainable business model, they will quit the industry and its head executives will move on to other platforms. You see this in every single outdated video content delivery platform (Blockbuster and the like) with the exception of Netflix (which somehow miraculously survived despite a decrepit and old business model) and even Netflix's problems with debt persist.

Third, it's retarded to think that the concentration of subscribers who are currently at Crunchyroll/Netflix/Amazon/etc. are going to change substantially just because they deliver "better" product. There's simply no correlation here other than the logic of high school level behavioral economics, where people think that better reputation/better service will translate to people switching from one mode of consumption to another. The most important sole determinant of change will be the income levels of people who pirate, and frankly, retards who buy into this video give me doubt that they'll be making even a third of what I earn annually.

Fourth, all empiric evidence insists that to switch to pirating in a niche industry will just lead to higher prices and attention on the domestic market. The actual content of anime is already emblematic of this, but even economic data has shown that in the last few years (2016 was an anomaly because of Your Name) that while TV sales have remained relatively consistent, the industry has been making money from non-DVD products and gacha. It just seems to me that the market is reacting precisely in the way that it should: that if sales aren't going to substantially increase, then the only real solution is to raise prices on current products and/or focus on secondary products that can be grown.

Anyway, the point is, this video is retarded. People who believe it are morons, and most people should really stop pretending that they know anything about economics on this board. It's legit hilarious to read when I'm sitting at my desk, but it's honestly pretty sad given how sincere some of it is.

Well I have a few questions for you then since you seem like an Intelligent person.

Will availability of the Legal streaming site have an impact on piracy?
And what is the best option for ppl who live in countries where Anime is rarely available if they want License holders to spread the License towards other countries?

And what do you think what needs to be done in order to make the Anime industry more competitive?

Also, boycotting and then Demanding innovation is stupid, innovation requires money to begin with.
Nov 1, 2017 3:30 PM
Jul 2009
Bourmegar said:
Yh why go to a legal site if the pirates have better service.

Oh and Digi is also honest about all that.

Uh because studios struggle to get by as it is and they have to turn to shit like 3D CG and mobile game adaptations to keep the doors open

It's not like Satoshi is swimming in a diamond encrusted swimming pool street after he draws you some anime boobs. Poor dude probably works 80 hours a week and lives off cup noodles
FMA:B OUTDATED noot KIMI NO NA WA OVERRATED noot LONG HAVE WE WAITED noot PINGU IN THE CITY WAS CREATED noot
Nov 1, 2017 3:32 PM

Oct 2014
bbBM said:
Bourmegar said:
Yh why go to a legal site if the pirates have better service.

Oh and Digi is also honest about all that.

Uh because studios struggle to get by as it is and they have to turn to shit like 3D CG and mobile game adaptations to keep the doors open

It's not like Satoshi is swimming in a diamond encrusted swimming pool street after he draws you some anime boobs. Poor dude probably works 80 hours a week and lives off cup noodles

True, plus going pirate will only make it more likely that he will lose that cup of noodles some day.

if ppl want innovation or change then they have to keep the business afloat to begin with.
Nov 1, 2017 5:12 PM

Oct 2017
DreamingBeats said:
the effect on piracy can also be seen in the gaming industry: game companies are moving towards the mobile platform with in-game currency/shop..

Man, do you even play videogames at all?
Nov 1, 2017 5:17 PM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
Shocking twist. You can do both.

. . .
Nov 1, 2017 5:59 PM

Aug 2017
I never thought it was deep. I thought literally most anime fans pirate because it’s most convenient.
Why would your parents pay 10$ a month for Japanese cartoons and you can’t even find content on there that you may want to view.
I got told that “Illegal Streaming” isn’t service and as these people are blinded by their own morality people are going to use illegal streaming sites.

I wished they stop trying to force people to care about the industry as not everyone cares about the industry and just want to watch anime. People are trying to shame people to not using the sites despite it going against their own interests to stop illegal streaming, but I call this Anti-Consumership

These people don’t care about you or the fans they only care about giving these people money and want to force you to use a legal service that isn’t even that good.
Shame on you? Shame on them. I don’t mind that they want to support the industry and not pirate, but they trying to force and shame others to do so and I want to tell them to go fuck themselves.
I’m doing whats best for me.

Not sugarcoating it this is me being honest with you.
They want to stop illegal streaming? Then find a way to outlaw it until then i’m using them.
Sincerely, from Scorpio.

Nov 1, 2017 6:04 PM

May 2016
Bourmegar said:
Well I have a few questions for you then since you seem like an Intelligent person.

I don't know, I'm not privy to private corporate data, so I really can't extrapolate any more than people here.

But, I will say that the determining factors in getting people to switch to legal services is a mixture of time/money. Steam is a good example where significant improvements in accessibility helps to offset the motivation for others to pirate. Again, this is different from anime since unlike video games, where you could ostensibly get bugs and issues when playing pirated games, anime doesn't come to you bugged and corrupt. However, the general principle is the same. That's essentially why Crunchryoll benefits to the extent that it does: yes there's the fact that it's cheap, but accessibility is a major addition to its appeal. Again, the point is that businesses are competing with a free service. To say that Crunchyroll is "cheap" is essentially meaningless because there's nothing cheaper than free. The added appeal is its just as fast (and technically faster) than HorribleSubs.

Bourmegar said:
And what is the best option for ppl who live in countries where Anime is rarely available if they want License holders to spread the License towards other countries?
Pirate. You can't do anything, frankly.

Bourmegar said:
And what do you think what needs to be done in order to make the Anime industry more competitive?
It just needs to jumpstart itself into the 21st century. As a general rule of thumb, Asian business practices are probably 10-15+ years behind the West. The Internet is largely improving the quick closure of the gap, but I still feel like a lot of these distribution networks are done in antiquated ways. Maybe there are licensing issues, maybe everyone's too greedy, but whatever the reason, the fact that BDs are so expensive says something about the premiums people have to pay for their anime and accessories. Crunchyroll is a good first step and I think that despite people's reservations of them, I see Netflix/Amazon being "good" for anime 10-15 years down the line.

For directors/studios, maybe try alternative funding or different modes of distribution? Only a handful of anime were crowd funded by Kickstarter (Kick Heart and Under the Dog come to mind) or analogous alternatives and they were both dreadful, but the dearth of these attempts in general says something about the modern business model for anime in that they continue to prove themselves both inflexible and tend towards following fads. Kickstarter projects, or things of similar nature, could prove to be successful. Under the Dog was dreadful but the production values weren't abysmal and looked pretty decent.

Finally, true, all data insists that the industry is growing. However, do consider:

1. What's the growth rate of the industry versus say, the growth of the Japanese economy? Does it outpace? Underperform?
2. What are the segments that are growing? Is is TV sales? The introduction of gacha? Figurines? Movies? All three?
3. Where do the sales come from? Internal? International? The West? China?
YudinaNov 1, 2017 6:09 PM
Nov 1, 2017 6:05 PM

Aug 2017
DreamingBeats said:
FruitlessJuice said:
PVs are short and show nothing. like what if you get ripped off.

food sample from Costco are small and show nothing. like what if you get ripped off when buying the whole product? best to just take the product without having to pay!

manga previews are small and show nothing. like what if you get ripped off when buying the whole manga? best to just take the manga without having to pay!

car test drive doesn't show much of its capabilities, like what if it turns out you don't like the car a year from now? best to just take it without paying! only those who really like the car they "borrowed" would pay for it out of goodness of their heart.

edit: people trying to justify piracy is pretty sickening. then again, this is MAL, home of pirates.

I agree with you in how this logic is stupid. I rather say have a test drive to see if the car is for you or take a food sample and see if you would buy it. I think literally taking the whole product without pay to prevent being rip-off is a stupid justification as people don’t want to take chances without consequences. When you try out a product you take your chances to see whether or not you like it.
If the company is bad then you don’t support them.
They sell you with prices and advertising and selling their product to you. You as the consumer makes the choice.
Sincerely, from Scorpio.

Nov 1, 2017 6:28 PM

Oct 2017
even if a legal site did have literally every anime avaliable for streaming and downloading piracy wouldn't die or decline much. too many people wanting and too little cash flow.
Nov 1, 2017 6:29 PM
Jul 2018
me: would I rather “support” the industry by having 0 money go to the Japanese and all of it to the American licensors

also me: or would I rather afford dinner for the next few weeks
Nov 1, 2017 6:36 PM

May 2016
I'm mean, duh. First of all, why are westerns even necessary to mantain the anime industry?

I don't recall the average local cartoon NEEDING assistance from other continents to keep themselves alive. For all I care anime should be the same.

If a industry that fuctions primarily on a NATIONAL SCALE can't get by with the support of its own country alone, then something is wrong with the industry.
You are not your body, you are your brain, the "self" that emerges from within it.
Nov 1, 2017 6:37 PM

Nov 2015
Eyy cabron!

We all know jap producers don't give an inch of a flying fuck about western audience. So do whatever u like pirate/pay anything that suits you.

Can't pirate without getting those adds tho

#Justsaying
Nov 1, 2017 6:40 PM

Jul 2016
Elesh said:
I have. And I will continue to do that.

Same unless it has too many episodes to fit on the HDD.

Janniboy said:
Can't pirate without getting those adds tho

#Justsaying

Do you know that torrenting and XDCC are things?
Nov 1, 2017 7:14 PM

Nov 2013
Kuraokani said:
I typed a long ass reply and it was deleted

You just made me really curious to know what you wrote.
“Right is right even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it.”
― Saint Augustine
Nov 2, 2017 1:23 AM

Aug 2017
Darek said:
Oh ffs, I am not watching that video.

Stop making shitty excuses, just admit it, you don't feel like paying. This has fuck all to do with "bad services". Don't feel like paying and you'd rather pirate it? So be it, a lot of people do it, even I can't be bothered to pay for everything. Stop acting as if you were in the right, you are NOT. Anime is not a right, you are not entitled to anime, stop acting like it is.

It should be though.... I’m just kidden.
I think it’s also closed-minded to eliminate the possibility that bad legal services are a factor. As much as I do agree with you as I do say myself that many don’t give a fuck about the industry and just want to watch anime I also want to add that some may not think the same and are forced to use pirating to watch a show they can’t find on something legal even though they are willing to pay.
I think there are many sides to this.

However, I do agree that people are sugarcoating it.
I watch Anime illegally and I do not feel ashamed. It’s free and it’s convenient and it’s presentable. Even if a legal service was good I still wouldn’t use it because illegal ones are free and I don’t feel like wasting money over Japanese Cartoons. I asked someone who came to my house about it and he said “People still pay for anime?” Because why pay for something you can easily get for free?

My only problem is how immature this is dealt with. People expect others to do something not in their best interest and think everyone is supposed to care about the industry.
I would give money to animators and writers because I appreciate them, but I’m still going to watch illegally because it’s just convenient.
I thought everyone or most watched illegally which is why this whole topic surprised me.
Why now is this a problem?
Sincerely, from Scorpio.

Nov 2, 2017 1:29 AM

Aug 2017
Also I want people to think here. Think about Mayweather vs McGregor. People have illegally streamed it while live, but the quality was shit which is why people buy it.

It’s not the fact Illegal streaming exists it’s just for anime it’s really convenient.
It’s the quality of the illegal streaming.

I assume people would still check out something illegally, but I think most would use legal services if the illegal one was trash.
Sincerely, from Scorpio.

Nov 2, 2017 2:57 AM

Nov 2014
You don't need tell me to not use something that can't even function in my country.

But the video by uniquenamosaurus is pretty good, it also delves not only into the service side of why legal streaming sites suck, but also talks about exclusive streaming rights. Exclusive streaming rights on legal streaming sites weakens legal streaming sites as a whole, it also shifts the focus of my reason to even consider their streaming service from service quality/features to availability of anime.
I'm not a lolicon, you're just projecting your tendency to lewd 2D characters.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Nov 2, 2017 4:17 AM

Mar 2014
People are starting to view piracy from the Comic_Sans perspective of things.

It's glorious
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Nov 2, 2017 4:21 AM
Jul 2015
bl4x1 said:
Pirating is still copyright infringement and as I said, most of the people here who state that they have no problem with pirating would be upset as soon as they are the ones whose content is pirated.

Japan is free to sue me all they want. They can get the IP's from torrents and streaming sites but the cost of doing it is in no relation to the outcome. We are not the target market. Most of the stuff isn't even available here.

I could watch half of the seasonal stuff that the US gets and almost nothing that is older than 5-10 years. Most of the time the license ran out or it was never licensed in the first place. My crime is to watch something that is not available to me. Japan doesn't lose any money because they don't even sell it here. It's a victimless crime and therefore irrelevant.

Licensed stuff? Yeah, I could pay for that. But it's the internet. I don't pay to jack off so I won't pay to be entertained either. And I use other services that deliver the same product (just not in my area) instead of the subs from publishers in my country. I can choose between several sources and I'm of course going for the free one. I don't pirate dubshit or subs in my language. US and JP can sue me all they want. It'd be wasted money though. The local publishers can't do shit. And even if they could it wouldn't give them any money. Just wasting their money and time.

If I made a movie and only sell it in my area then I can't be mad if someone from another region pirates it. It's not a lost sale because he couldn't buy it in the first place.
Nov 2, 2017 4:32 AM

Nov 2014
I'm all for supporting the industry, but that video makes some valid points. People aren't going to pay for something unless they have an incentive to. I don't subscribe to sites like Crunchyroll because there just aren't a lot of anime that I like. Paying for a service with maybe only a handful of titles that I enjoy would be pointless. This is why I prefer to "sample" shows by other means, and then buy my favorites on BD.

I do have a Netflix account, though. Netflix picked up Kakegurui, which was highly entertaining. I'll probably watch it again there when it's available. And good news for the industry, shows like Seven Deadly Sins have been doing very well there. I read somewhere that anime has been making a lot of money through streaming sites, particularly Chinese ones.
Nov 2, 2017 5:00 AM

Aug 2014
DreamingBeats said:

thank you for this intelligent post. the effect on piracy can also be seen in the gaming industry: game companies are moving towards the mobile platform with in-game currency/shop. the sad thing - even when said companies are generous to free-to-play users (such as BandaiNamco), people will still complain that they can't get stuff from the game in a silver platter at no cost. people just want to get everything for free.

You're stupid if you believe that game company are moving towards mobile platform with microtransactions.
The thing is AAA tittle shifting to Microtransactions for Single Player games due their games doesnt go well as expected or doesnt reach the target copies sold.
Its caused by the lacks of innovation while most of AAA publisher not even trying to properly polish their game such as Witcher 3.
They try to cross the boundary further like EA/Activision/Ubisoft did to their games, fail on competitive scene they tried to exploit people. Its simple, game like these may still sells but the reason why they shift into microtransactions were no other than Greed.
Blaming it into microtransactions felt so weird because compared the past 10 years of gaming, piracy rates are obviously decreased, you can even see the effect on torrents/site that offer one.
Read this https://www.engadget.com/2017/09/22/eu-suppressed-study-piracy-no-sales-impact/
You dont talk about Free-to-play games in real gaming scene.
F2P are hated due microtransactions,
Things like DOTA2 are different due being E-sports and balance compared the idiotic mobile version which trying so hard to gain attraction from casual player.
The reason why it was famous are simple > Every single people had phone ,Not > Every single people had Console/PC.
Thus why everytime a game gen cameout including PC with requires better rig people got dead stuck or still staying with the games they liked.
What makes it worst the Money from the customer exploited by shittons of cosmetic DLC thats overpriced (looking at you fucking Koei Tecmo) or Day 1 DLC and Season Pass.
Even the worse case of DLCs theres no fucking quality in it, and you expect people to pay 60 bucks and another 40 bucks for half assed games?
No wonder Indie and A-AA tittle glorified compared AAA tittlle massacare.

And again for a gamer that had like hundred to even thousand of games in their library within multiple platform its
"Too many games, Not Enough Time"
Creating those F2P games would even dstroy the balance because people will stick to 1-2 games, rendering the most game that owns the player = win, game with f2p style without player would just drop dead because they didnt gain any profit.
At worse case people will blacklist all microtransactions and it'll likely less and demand then the company/publisher died out.

Also the reason why its able to maintain itself compared anime industry are something that Anime industry didnt have such as
*Note that Anime/LN/Manga connected to each other
Ability to multiplatform and localizations = Anime? Country restrictions, untranslated anime that got fansub ed. lol
Digital Downloads and Digital Distribution including Right Management (DRM) = Anime? We dont have any. Even Steam that offer streaming service doesnt allow downloads lmao, but still its restricted by country. Legal Streaming service is a thing but imagine with had both. Also Legal streaming service are quite laugable isnt it?
Also compare it to this > Full game 100 hours player controlled multilanguage gorgeous graphic 40-60 bucks (another bucks for dlc or season pass) while Anime? 1 BD volume cost like fucking 80 lmao.
The anime budget cost like 2 million to 8 million or even 16 million.
While those AAA tittle could even cost higher development than anime development yet still sell like 60 bucks with profits.
Imagine the cost of development like 50 million for a single AAA games including advertising then it sold like 1.000.000 copies on average (most of tittle normaly sells 2-3m and sequels sells like 200k-1m but the budget are lower due remodel and reused asset under the same engine).
60 Bucks * 1.000.000 = 60.000.000 Million. and believe me 50 million is already on the most expensive game developed and those game already sold more than 3+ million units.
While anime rarely sells more than a million unit worldwide unless its a "Movie" or something popular.
A simple.. no an A grade tittle heck even Indie developer able sell 500k to million units on its lifetime on a single goddamn platform, game cost like 10 bucks, development cost like a million then they got 4 million profits.
While the most of the reason anime exist to advertise they dont even fucking consider an english international distribution. Yes there is. something like Yen Press? Fucking slow than a fantranslations. Just hire those people and hire 1-2 person for quality (words/grammar) checker, and its fking done. People who want the physical copy could just order from the company, yet what we got? A translation that move slower than a damn snail.
And lastly Gaming is older than Anime, its kinda safe to say that game have more customers than anime.
XaelathNov 2, 2017 4:51 PM
Nov 2, 2017 5:31 AM

Mar 2015
bitch, i am broke, i am pirating all of my stuff... but i am not pathetic enough to try make justification out of it...
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Nov 2, 2017 5:45 AM
Jul 2018
That's what most of the broke individuals including me are doing right now
Nov 2, 2017 5:47 AM

Oct 2014
Yudina said:
Bourmegar said:

I don't know, I'm not privy to private corporate data, so I really can't extrapolate any more than people here.

But, I will say that the determining factors in getting people to switch to legal services is a mixture of time/money. Steam is a good example where significant improvements in accessibility helps to offset the motivation for others to pirate. Again, this is different from anime since unlike video games, where you could ostensibly get bugs and issues when playing pirated games, anime doesn't come to you bugged and corrupt. However, the general principle is the same. That's essentially why Crunchryoll benefits to the extent that it does: yes there's the fact that it's cheap, but accessibility is a major addition to its appeal. Again, the point is that businesses are competing with a free service. To say that Crunchyroll is "cheap" is essentially meaningless because there's nothing cheaper than free. The added appeal is its just as fast (and technically faster) than HorribleSubs.

Bourmegar said:
Pirate. You can't do anything, frankly.

Bourmegar said:
It just needs to jumpstart itself into the 21st century. As a general rule of thumb, Asian business practices are probably 10-15+ years behind the West. The Internet is largely improving the quick closure of the gap, but I still feel like a lot of these distribution networks are done in antiquated ways. Maybe there are licensing issues, maybe everyone's too greedy, but whatever the reason, the fact that BDs are so expensive says something about the premiums people have to pay for their anime and accessories. Crunchyroll is a good first step and I think that despite people's reservations of them, I see Netflix/Amazon being "good" for anime 10-15 years down the line.

For directors/studios, maybe try alternative funding or different modes of distribution? Only a handful of anime were crowd funded by Kickstarter (Kick Heart and Under the Dog come to mind) or analogous alternatives and they were both dreadful, but the dearth of these attempts in general says something about the modern business model for anime in that they continue to prove themselves both inflexible and tend towards following fads. Kickstarter projects, or things of similar nature, could prove to be successful. Under the Dog was dreadful but the production values weren't abysmal and looked pretty decent.

Finally, true, all data insists that the industry is growing. However, do consider:

1. What's the growth rate of the industry versus say, the growth of the Japanese economy? Does it outpace? Underperform?
2. What are the segments that are growing? Is is TV sales? The introduction of gacha? Figurines? Movies? All three?
3. Where do the sales come from? Internal? International? The West? China?

1. Well I don't know for sure really. The industry is kinda on the same level as Japan's economy, if japan is prospering than so does anime, if japan is in a bad economic time then so is Anime.
2. I don't know about Gachas really but I do know that streaming sites do get more Subs each day and that there is a slow and smal growth of popalirity with The movies like Your name.
3. Most of the sales and profit comes from japan itself and most of the sales international comes from China and the west pales in comparison with both of them.
And why China is the biggest international contributer is because China is very strict against piracy (so strict that it makes the west look like a wimp) so that things like Kissanime won't fly there and the ppl there like how China distributes it.

Am I right or wrong?
Nov 2, 2017 6:54 AM
Nov 2017
I dunno tbh. I agree that anime is readily available online for free but at the same time, I would like to support the industry so it continues to be online. If it isn't on Crunchyroll or YouTube, then yes, I guess there is no other option.
Nov 2, 2017 4:32 PM
Aug 2017
Id be down to pay a streaming site that actually supports the industry. But as it is theres region blocks and other availability issues making it hard for the viewer to actually watch he content. I use Crunchyroll to watch most series but if a series is not available in my region I'll watch it free somewhere else.

Also Netflix can fuck right off.
Nov 2, 2017 5:34 PM
Jul 2018
I will pirate anime regardless. I don't want to pay for anime. I can buy fucking 36 maruchan ramen for 8$
removed-userNov 2, 2017 5:41 PM
Nov 2, 2017 5:50 PM

Oct 2015
I hate myself for downloading anime from illegal subs. But nothing I can do about that :/
Nov 2, 2017 6:42 PM

Apr 2016
Yudina said:
A large number of people cutting their subscriptions and starting to pirate will force streaming sites to innovate, make a better product, and bring back not only those ex-subscribers but bring in the HUGE market of people who never cared about supporting the industry in the first place.
lol people actually believe this

Why do people have to make up justifications for pirating rather than just admitting that rationally free is better than priced if you're getting the exact same product?

That's the point. You pay for less. I've been parting since I was a kid, but if a company deserved my money I paid for the product and purchased the pirated product legally. Streaming platforms don't deserve my money, period.

I can't vouche for everyone, but I don't need reasons to pirate, especially entertainment in form of videos.
Nov 2, 2017 7:00 PM
Voltekka!

Sep 2017
RCRDC said:
Id be down to pay a streaming site that actually supports the industry. But as it is theres region blocks and other availability issues making it hard for the viewer to actually watch he content. I use Crunchyroll to watch most series but if a series is not available in my region I'll watch it free somewhere else.

Thats a smart idea. Also, what about making tons of anime, both new and old, available?
Nov 2, 2017 7:55 PM

Nov 2017
I'd buy Anime only if I can't find digital copies of the Anime/episodes online. Admittedly, I've pirated a lot of anime, most of which probably don't have an English dub. We'd want to spend more of our money on other things such as groceries, right?
(too afraid to make an ecchi sig)
Nov 2, 2017 8:42 PM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
Why are y'all acting like you get ripped off from these services, they have free trials for a reason. It's not even that expensive are you all working minimum wage?
Nov 2, 2017 9:59 PM

Jan 2013
Stripesu said:
Why are y'all acting like you get ripped off from these services, they have free trials for a reason. It's not even that expensive are you all working minimum wage?
Many of the users who frequent MAL are teens so that wouldn't be unreasonable to assume.

But who actually gives a fuck about someone's wage right?
Oh, and I'm a pirate. Y'arr.
Nov 2, 2017 10:10 PM

Jul 2012
Yes, if you want the industry to have another recession.
Nov 2, 2017 10:43 PM
Aug 2017
Someday, the anime industry will forced shut down all the illegal streaming websites.
Nov 2, 2017 11:05 PM

Oct 2014
StrangerMist said:
RCRDC said:

Thats a smart idea. Also, what about making tons of anime, both new and old, available?

That would be awesome.

But also very risky. Doing that requires streaming sites to buy a load of licenses and then there is the question if it's even profitable which it isn't as profitable as the newer shows are. I mean who will watch old shows nowadays? Many fans already think that the modern anime is better. And the old shows that hold up very well are only a few of them.
Nov 2, 2017 11:33 PM
Jul 2015
Man, the amount of entitled fucks in this thread. I mean, I get it for the children. They're just stupid and probably failing/going to fail their economics class. But god damn, some of you bitches are older than I am.
Nov 2, 2017 11:35 PM

Oct 2017
As a guy who hates paid services and who mostly uses pirated sites...
I just wanna know why MAL allows people to talk about piracy on their site? (I'm new here)
Nov 2, 2017 11:45 PM

Jul 2013
I think it is pretty clear that the guy who made this video really doesn't know what he is talking about. Boycotting a business isn't going to help the industry. In fact, even though it is annoying to have stuff like Netflix, Crunchyroll, and Anime Strike have their own exclusive shows and not be able to watch it all on the same site, it actually creates a competitive market and keeps a specific company from becoming a sort of monopoly.

Competition actually drives the economy. So yeah sure do what this guy said and get rid of that. Sounds like a good old time.
Nov 2, 2017 11:55 PM

May 2015
Darek said:
Oh ffs, I am not watching that video.

Stop making shitty excuses, just admit it, you don't feel like paying. This has fuck all to do with "bad services". Don't feel like paying and you'd rather pirate it? So be it, a lot of people do it, even I can't be bothered to pay for everything. Stop acting as if you were in the right, you are NOT. Anime is not a right, you are not entitled to anime, stop acting like it is.

No, it has everything to do with bad services. Piracy isn't a problem for the video game industry anymore because Steam is a good service. The same can not be said for anime. When every legal option is worse than the illegal counterparts, then that's not OUR faults.

Nov 2, 2017 11:59 PM

May 2015
Stripesu said:

CR could cost a penny, it doesn't change the fact that the service itself is garbage. I could pay a couple of hobos a few bucks to fix my car but they'd probably do a bad job.

Nov 3, 2017 12:04 AM

Feb 2016
Calal-Chan said:
I think it is pretty clear that the guy who made this video really doesn't know what he is talking about. Boycotting a business isn't going to help the industry. In fact, even though it is annoying to have stuff like Netflix, Crunchyroll, and Anime Strike have their own exclusive shows and not be able to watch it all on the same site, it actually creates a competitive market and keeps a specific company from becoming a sort of monopoly.

Competition actually drives the economy. So yeah sure do what this guy said and get rid of that. Sounds like a good old time.

The competition doesn't try to be better (than the other ones), it tries to get different exclusive anime, not at all adding new features or things that make one company/service better than the other one, this was very specifically talked about in the video and you haven't really made enough of a point against what was said in there for me to agree with you.

nothing a streaming service offers cannot be obtained by pirating, they haven't even added an option to switch languages on the fly or turn on/off subs while watching the dub(, does crunchyroll even have dubs?), which some downloaded anime I watched could easily do, so sometimes pirating is even superior.
if they actually offered a better product than pirate sites it would be better for everyone.
Nov 3, 2017 12:13 AM
☆A-Qing's hair☆

Jun 2008
CreativeNam3 said:
I ain't paying for stuff I could get for free. That's just financially irresponsible.

Why should I pay for this loaf of bread from the bakery, when I could just eat it for free then leave?

Nov 3, 2017 12:16 AM

Jul 2013
avory said:
Calal-Chan said:

The competition doesn't try to be better (than the other ones), it tries to get different exclusive anime, not at all adding new features or things that make one company/service better than the other one, this was very specifically talked about in the video and you haven't really made enough of a point against what was said in there for me to agree with you.

nothing a streaming service offers cannot be obtained by pirating, they haven't even added an option to switch languages on the fly or turn on/off subs while watching the dub(, does crunchyroll even have dubs?), which some downloaded anime I watched could easily do, so sometimes pirating is even superior.
if they actually offered a better product than pirate sites it would be better for everyone.

The problem with giving a better service than torrents is that they are doing things legally which has stipulations. They have to pay for licensing and the like. I am not saying their sites are perfect. They are far from that but if you understand pretty much anything about business you would understand that competition is what causes a market to grow and strive.

What this argument basically says is, hey lets never pay for anything because getting stuff illegally is easier and cost pretty much nothing. Okay man but things cost money to make whether you like it or not. Every anime fan has pretty much torrented at least one show and I know that to be true but his arguments would not fix the solution.

Read @Yudina 's post. It covers quite a bit of why this video is nonsense.

Also again this line really?
"nothing a streaming service offers cannot be obtained by pirating"

I am not gonna say I get all my anime legally either but that mindset is horrible. And considering how little animators in Japan already get paid it looks like you actually show little care towards the people who create and make you content. It makes you look like think the world owes you something. And spoiler alert it doesn't.
Nov 3, 2017 12:18 AM

Jul 2013
quercifolia said:
CreativeNam3 said:
I ain't paying for stuff I could get for free. That's just financially irresponsible.

Why should I pay for this loaf of bread from the bakery, when I could just eat it for free then leave?

Fantastic analogy my good sir. Sometimes I just can't understand certain people in this thread. At least you make sense.
Nov 3, 2017 12:22 AM

Feb 2016
[quote=Calal-Chan message=52898281][quote=avory message=52898224]
Calal-Chan said:

I am not gonna say I get all my anime legally either but that mindset is horrible. And considering how little animators in Japan already get paid it looks like you actually show little care towards the people who create and make you content. It makes you look like think the world owes you something. And spoiler alert it doesn't.

that line is completely true though, and like my message said, pirating can even give you something better.

and what you gave me is only a moral reason, not a reason for me to do it because it will somehow make for a better experience.
Nov 3, 2017 12:26 AM
☆A-Qing's hair☆

Jun 2008
Calal-Chan said:
quercifolia said:

Fantastic analogy my good sir. Sometimes I just can't understand certain people in this thread. At least you make sense.

Thanks! I'm only really echoing what a few others have said, though.

The mindset of "take whatever you want because you can" is the source of so many troubles in this world. Just pure selfish acts.

avory said:
Calal-Chan said:

that line is completely true though, and like my message said, pirating can even give you something better.

Meanwhile the animator and the artists and the SFX people and the musicians and everyone else who made the anime, can just go hang right? So long as you get it free for yourself?

Nov 3, 2017 12:33 AM

Feb 2016
quercifolia said:
Calal-Chan said:

Thanks! I'm only really echoing what a few others have said, though.

The mindset of "take whatever you want because you can" is the source of so many troubles in this world. Just pure selfish acts.

avory said:

Meanwhile the animator and the artists and the SFX people and the musicians and everyone else who made the anime, can just go hang right? So long as you get it free for yourself?

again a moral reason, if they offered a service better than pirating it would be better for everyone, DO YOU NOT AGREE?

and btw, I've spend way more money on hardcopies/manga than I'd spend on a subscribtion to crunchyroll, because it actually gives me something I wouldn't have otherwise.
Nov 3, 2017 12:37 AM

May 2015
quercifolia said:
CreativeNam3 said:

Yep, because actually stealing something, and watching cartoons are equally as bad.

Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Criticism You Don't Understand.

Alpha_1_Zero - 6 hours ago

9 by Catalano »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » Have y'all seen Rainbow?

MillerEvans23 - 1 hour ago

7 by Jonas-K »»
6 minutes ago

» Would you rather watch Anime blind or deaf?

Dragevard - 4 hours ago

12 by Catalano »»
7 minutes ago

Poll: » What's with all the hate from the MAL community towards Anitubers? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 25

67 by AzafuseKingTora »»
21 minutes ago

» Have you ever divorced your waifu? (ex-waifu)

EndlessMaria - Aug 12, 2022

41 by Maou_heika »»
30 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.