Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
No Game No Life (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (10) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Apr 30, 2014 4:38 PM

Aug 2012
Kaioshin_Sama said:
Nobody has any sort of criticism to offer over this episode? Okay I'll go then. It pretty much looks like this show really has exhausted it's premise already as is prone to happen with LN stories upon conclusion of their volume/arc. Just really nothing remarkable about this episode again and the main pair continues to be annoying and one note in personality and interaction with others. Can't buy how they're supposed to be loser HikkiNeets either when they pretty much succeed at everything they try to do be it speech making, policy, competing against others in games. It's just such a blatant power fantasy too and you even have Stephanie now reduced to a fan service cheerleader for the duo, not that she was ever a particularly great character in the first place, but that more or less ends her development as a character and really it just looks like everything in this show exists to enable the two MC's at the end of the day. Just gives it a feeling of utter pointlessness, like the show has been spinning it's heels in repeatedly pointing out how awesome [] is and how they never ever lose. It makes the brother sister duo from Mahouka look positively mortal and flawed by comparison.

I'd be able to forgive the show a little if it used all of this well and to good effect as comedy or had anything resembling a sense of irony, but the humor is primarily still of the reference and ecchi variety and it looks like it's playing it's premise entirely straight. Just kind of an unremarkable show outside of the production Madhouse is giving it which continues to be all that stands out about it to me. Way to many style over substance anime these days, but I suppose it's far from the worst example of that.
The fact that they went to another world makes the "loser NEET" part moot because the rules of the society from which they originate do not apply any more. The reason you don't see much criticism is because the things you don't like--from what I read, the "power fantasy" and the showcase of badassery in anything that doesn't involve direct violence--are precisely the things other people (including me) look forward to in this series. Not saying your criticism sucks, I'm just answering that first question.

I do agree that Stephanie sucks and had no (or has exhausted all) potential to be a great character. Just another damsel in distress that'll rely on the duo to solve everything.
This topic has not been locked and is still available for discussion.
Apr 30, 2014 4:39 PM
Mar 2014
Her existence is very convenient for explaining everything to us viewers.
Apr 30, 2014 4:40 PM

Apr 2013
Decent episode I guess

Made me laugh a few times.

3/5
Apr 30, 2014 4:43 PM

Nov 2012
I always watch newly aired anime until episode 4 before I subject it to be dropped or to continue, I'm sure a lot of people do, this series simply placed itself on top of my weekly-must-watch list..

Declaring war to other nations on their coronation event such bad-asses, although it caters two OP protagonist, I will continue to watch this series.. Already hoping for more seasons to come..
Apr 30, 2014 4:43 PM

Sep 2013
Gotta love Sora's speeches, another great episode.

However
baki502 said:
Im kinda concerned about the shows pacing tough. There are 15 nations left to conquer, and even if they get these angel like race as allies that is still 14 left to conquer. Not to mention the final game against Ted. Now the thing is if all games took 2 episodes like this one, then it would take another 30 episodes to finish the anime. But there are only like 8 ep left. So yeah there will be either a lot of skipping, OR the games will be rushed as hell, either way, I think this anime will have a hell of a pacing issue. Should have been a 36-40 ep anime or at the very least 2 cour. I just dont see how its going to fit into 12 episodes only, without getting shit or skipping a LOT, which is the same as getting shit most likely.
Exactly what i was thinking..
Apr 30, 2014 4:47 PM

Mar 2012
baki502 said:
Im kinda concerned about the shows pacing tough. There are 15 nations left to conquer, and even if they get these angel like race as allies that is still 14 left to conquer. Not to mention the final game against Ted. Now the thing is if all games took 2 episodes like this one, then it would take another 30 episodes to finish the anime. But there are only like 8 ep left. So yeah there will be either a lot of skipping, OR the games will be rushed as hell, either way, I think this anime will have a hell of a pacing issue. Should have been a 36-40 ep anime or at the very least 2 cour. I just dont see how its going to fit into 12 episodes only, without getting shit or skipping a LOT, which is the same as getting shit most likely.
No they won't get that far because LN haven't finish yet. It will end at volume 3 at most and that's when
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Apr 30, 2014 4:58 PM

Aug 2012
Well that's a damn shame. Do all LN adaptations start when the LNs are unfinished?
This topic has not been locked and is still available for discussion.
Apr 30, 2014 5:01 PM

Mar 2012
gamer2710 said:
Well that's a damn shame. Do all LN adaptations start when the LNs are unfinished?
It's the same case with manga. They adapt not yet finished work.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Apr 30, 2014 5:08 PM

Aug 2012
#Speech was too good
Apr 30, 2014 5:08 PM

Dec 2011
Sora managed to win the heart of the queen and get her to come over to his side. His epic face wnen he said that he would win without fighting was really great.

Imanity (Humanity) is the weakest nation on Disboard (This board) LOL.

Sora can really pull some fierce looking faces that have successfully made Kurami burst into tears Q.Q

LOL at how Sora and Shiro played for 3 consecutive days to decide once and for all who is the best and who will be the king in name.

Sora and Shiro are really taking their jobs as rulers seriously, they're going to make Imanity one of the best nations, if not the best,

Sora can give some awesome speeches that could rival those of some historical figures.

If Blank defeats every other nation they gain the right to challenge God himself, I smell me some Sora and Shiro Gods around the corner XD .

I have only one concern, that Sora and Shiro will be so OP that they'll defeat everyone without too much of a struggle. I hope it won't come to that and that the rest of the nations will put up a good and even exploit their weakness (being apart).
"Let justice be done, though the heavens fall."
Apr 30, 2014 5:23 PM

Dec 2011
I'll read the LN after the anime finishes airing, for sure.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 30, 2014 5:50 PM

Oct 2013
Wow...Sora actually declared war on all the other nations lol
Apr 30, 2014 6:11 PM
Nov 2013
They're kings now! Sora and Shiro are just great, and I'm probably the only one who likes Stephanie (mainly because her voice actress is Hikasa Yoko)

Can't wait to see thm become gods.

Also, the games are super ridiculous and confusing but soooo entertaining. Maybe I should learn how o play chess now..
Apr 30, 2014 6:14 PM

Aug 2013
MC is too cocky. I really hope the entirety of the anime will not be him easily defeating every opponent.
Apr 30, 2014 6:15 PM

Jul 2012
I cannot wait to see Blank go up against Tet again.

Great episode!!!
Apr 30, 2014 6:30 PM

Jun 2012
I'm also excited that they weren't brought to that world just to save humanity, that would have been a dull reason. I can't wait to see them become gods, but I don't want to see that happen any time soon. I would like it if this show got at least 3 seasons.
Apr 30, 2014 6:31 PM

Oct 2011
Nidhoeggr said:
DenjaX said:
Who assassinated the king?

Horrible writing.

Still 2/10, when will this pick up?

Didn't you already drop this like last week? Why bother since it's clearly not a show for you?
Apr 30, 2014 6:32 PM
May 2012
Cheesekao said:
Holy crap those last few minutes are gonna burn someone's retinas.

Only 2 more weeks until best girl arrives.

The best girl is already here
Apr 30, 2014 6:51 PM

Mar 2010
interesting episode wonder how the other countries will react to this.
Apr 30, 2014 6:54 PM
Aug 2012
baki502 said:

I would assume a few surrenders are coming. As you mentioned, alliances will form. I'm hoping for a fast pace. No need to drag it out. How many games do we really need to see? The big picture, global plotline is what counts and that shouldn't require 40 episodes.

If we set aside the final episode for the inevitable game with Tet, we have to go from here to world domination in 7 episodes. Sounds awesome to me. However, if this becomes a multiple-season slogging match, I'm not up for it.
Apr 30, 2014 6:55 PM

Jul 2013
To those that are saying that there is too much praise for this anime and for not looking at its flaw, it is not because we don't acknowledge its flaws (since nothing is perfect) but more to the fact that the positive aspects of this anime far outweighs the negative.

Nothing is perfect, but you can strive to make something as close as it can be to perfect.

Right now, No Game No Life is delivering a very steady performance every week, balancing out moments of epicness, comedy, plot development, and character growth. Thus, it makes this anime very enjoyable to watch, which is why many people are praising, because at its core, it's entertaining and had yet to fail to deliver.
Apr 30, 2014 7:01 PM

Jan 2014
wow.16 kingdoms,2 worlds,1 god they could have made at least 500 episode with that much...i wonder how this will turn out just in 12 episode,damn it at least make it 24 episodes :I
Apr 30, 2014 7:11 PM
Aug 2012
Dreambells said:
To those that are saying that there is too much praise for this anime and for not looking at its flaw, it is not because we don't acknowledge its flaws (since nothing is perfect) but more to the fact that the positive aspects of this anime far outweighs the negative.

Nothing is perfect, but you can strive to make something as close as it can be to perfect.

Right now, No Game No Life is delivering a very steady performance every week, balancing out moments of epicness, comedy, plot development, and character growth. Thus, it makes this anime very enjoyable to watch, which is why many people are praising, because at its core, it's entertaining and had yet to fail to deliver.

I wouldn't say it's steady or balanced at all. Sometimes, it feels shonen-esque. A few minutes later we might be watching good, Machiavellian fun. The jokes are all over the place, in terms of quality. For instance, the former king crying after losing was pretty worthless. On the other hand, the JoJo's reference was priceless.
Apr 30, 2014 7:17 PM

Oct 2013
Dreambells said:

All of what you've stated though is a matter of opinion as well. For me only Sora and Shiro are getting development at this point, the comedy imo is decent at best, and the plot is little more than the same idea put in different perspective. I'm not saying the show is bad by any means, but to praise it as some do is beyond me. I've stated this before and will do so again... It is of my opinion that this show is decent to good at best as things stand right now.
"A cruel world is not without it's beauty, and many times a select few find it by mistake. Only then do those select few see the world for what it is... A disastrous masterpiece." ~ 7thVoid

"Hates a river that only flows down." ~ 7thVoid
Apr 30, 2014 7:19 PM
Feb 2014
Guys, this won't cover until the game of Tet and Blank, if simply for the reason that game isn't done in the LN itself yet xD

Currently there are 6 Volumes out and this anime most probably will cover until Vol 3, so the warbeast arc.

The ending was just to set the goal Sora and Shiro have in this world in stone ;-)

@Remi_ This would greatly reduce the time that could be spent on the games, greatly damaging the enjoyment of the people watching the anime.

Please think about it: How fast would need that pace to be for the game of Tet and [] to happen at the end of this anime...that wouldn't be watchable anymore.
Apr 30, 2014 7:26 PM
Oct 2012
Remi_ said:
I wouldn't say it's steady or balanced at all. Sometimes, it feels shonen-esque. A few minutes later we might be watching good, Machiavellian fun. The jokes are all over the place, in terms of quality. For instance, the former king crying after losing was pretty worthless. On the other hand, the JoJo's reference was priceless.

You say that like it is a bad thing. Change of pace kicks ass, rather have them try to push the comedy and have a few things fail than to have a steady serving of anything else.

And this show can never turn into a harem, no matter how many girls Sora gets. When he is on he literally is one of the best heroes ever, even GUYS should be falling for him. That said what makes this show funny is that 40% of the time he is a complete waste of humanity, so again, nice change of pace.

Best Under-appreciated Line: and now we will just sit back a few turns and see what happens (treating the economy of the country as in civilization (and another great little reference)).
Takuan_SohoApr 30, 2014 7:30 PM
Apr 30, 2014 7:30 PM

Sep 2010
THis anime just gets better and better.
Just. wow I have no words i'm so in love with the characters and the ideas and the art and just everything.
Apr 30, 2014 7:34 PM

Dec 2011
Hahaha. He used the real life knowledge to save the kingdom.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 30, 2014 7:37 PM

Aug 2013
The artwork and score are absolutely perfect! I wish they made that amazing song the opening or ending, but they didn't.
Apr 30, 2014 7:44 PM
Oct 2012
rev0lt said:
They're kings now! Sora and Shiro are just great, and I'm probably the only one who likes Stephanie (mainly because her voice actress is Hikasa Yoko)

No, Steph is a great straight character, the Doctor Watson to our Sherlock Sora and Shiro. People who find her annoying really don't get what is going on.

Though for those people, whom I guess are legion, the next episode seems to be where she will start becoming something more than merely a Watson.
Takuan_SohoApr 30, 2014 7:53 PM
Apr 30, 2014 7:49 PM

May 2012
assasinate the king haha, of course no1 knows who is the assassin..
actually like the ep, some people cant appreciate the joke's where normal chess turn into troll chess, this isn't even comparable to gintama..

Apr 30, 2014 7:52 PM

Oct 2013
I love this series! Nice mix of funny stupid and cool moments. Blank is already king, so let's see how this goes.
Apr 30, 2014 8:10 PM

Jan 2011
i don't know why but i still find this an joy to watch each week
Apr 30, 2014 8:22 PM
Aug 2012
Takuan_Soho said:
Remi_ said:

You say that like it is a bad thing. Change of pace kicks ass, rather have them try to push the comedy and have a few things fail than to have a steady serving of anything else.

And this show can never turn into a harem, no matter how many girls Sora gets. When he is on he literally is one of the best heroes ever, even GUYS should be falling for him. That said what makes this show funny is that 40% of the time he is a complete waste of humanity, so again, nice change of pace.

Best Under-appreciated Line: and now we will just sit back a few turns and see what happens (treating the economy of the country as in civilization (and another great little reference)).

I'm not criticizing the change of pace. The show's tone jumps around quite a bit and that's fine. I'm just saying that the quality of the show jumps around, as well. That's an issue.

Have to agree with you about that line. Good stuff.
Apr 30, 2014 8:47 PM

Jan 2014
That speech....
One of the best this season
Wanna listen to some good OP/ED songs? Head over to my profile!
Apr 30, 2014 8:58 PM
Oct 2013
steins001 said:
That speech....
One of the best this season

Correction - Best anime of this year so far.

People said that this season is worst season with no good anime at all. NGNL proved all of them wrong.
Apr 30, 2014 9:00 PM

Jul 2013
The latest episode was just epic.

The loophole in the Imanity having only "1 king" and using it to crown Shiro as the "Queen" and the ending where Tet meets Sora & Shiro and where we realise Tet's true power and the strength of Sora & Shiro for having defeated her. The OST was awesome too.

I mean, I always said that "NGNL is one of the two spring anime which has the potential to get a 9".. But this episode pretty much sealed the deal. As of now, NGNL is a 9. I've really started believing that this show might really have the potential to even get a 10.
AshishgupApr 30, 2014 9:07 PM
Apr 30, 2014 9:04 PM
Oct 2013
Best show evar. No. Best show this season? Most likely yes.

Lol since when does the audience's personality and conduct decides what the kind of anime an anime is? Totally irrelevant. If you think only monkeys loves bananas then you do truly deserve this -

Mod Edit: Removed quote of deleted post.
ZelotMay 5, 2014 7:40 AM
Apr 30, 2014 9:09 PM

Nov 2012
This anime is teaching me how remarkably intelligent an anime is when it keeps throwing references from other popular media, it truly requires the work of a genius mastermind.
Apr 30, 2014 9:11 PM

May 2013
Ohh yeah, Sora vs Shiro, they tied in Wins and Loss. But, okay being Queen and King is awesome.

Now that the story is getting interesting, I wonder what race will Imanity first conquer. Hmm...
The world shall know the truth soon.
Apr 30, 2014 9:30 PM

Apr 2012
Pretty epic speech and funny references.

Apr 30, 2014 9:33 PM

May 2013
Blank will surely never lose to anyone! By Blank, I mean Sora and Shiro. Except if they are fighting against each other. It always end up in a tie.

It's amazing how Blank managed to handle all the problems of the kingdom. The speech Sora gave, excellently delivered. Blank will have to defeat the other races in order to challenge the god of their world, Tet. It seems that Tet is rarely seen in the world, given the reaction of Stephanie when she saw Tet.

I have a hunch that they will battle again with a game of chess.

Excellent, outstanding, amazing episode. It really explained a lot.
Apr 30, 2014 9:35 PM
Oct 2013
CreamZi said:
Blank will surely never lose to anyone! Except if they are fighting against each other. It always end up in a tie.

It's amazing how Blank managed to handle all the problems of the kingdom. The speech Sora gave, excellently delivered. Blank will have to defeat the other races in order to challenge the god of their world, Tet. It seems that Tet is rarely seen in the world, given the reaction of Stephanie when she saw Tet.

I have a hunch that they will battle again with a game of chess.

Excellent, outstanding, amazing episode. It really explained a lot.

Totally agree with all of it. Great speech by Sora. It's like he's born to do it. Definitely one of the best speeches I've seen/heard in all of the animes I've watched. I think he's even better than Lelouch and more or less in par with Phoenix.
ExplodingGirlApr 30, 2014 9:39 PM
Apr 30, 2014 9:39 PM

Jan 2013
Great set up episode, great speech too
Apr 30, 2014 9:50 PM

Sep 2013
The speech reminds me of Gaara's speech in naruto, epic.

Mod Edit: Removed quote of deleted post.
MellowJelloMay 2, 2014 3:25 PM
Apr 30, 2014 9:53 PM

Jul 2013
One word: Amazing. Best show of the season for me so far.

I will definitely start reading the novels once the show is finished.
Apr 30, 2014 10:00 PM

Mar 2013
Boombawks said:
It seems this is the most liked show this season, that makes it #108 material? Lol
It's good but not that good, people are going overboard on this, heading to overhyped-waters.

Story wise its too early to judge, but the premise is really nice and I think justifies the score. Why? Because we get the answers about the story in the very early episodes. Like Tet mentioned in this episode there isn't really a noble reason, or a deeper complex reason why the two main characters were sent here other then that Tet simply wanted to get revenge for his loss in chess. That is the beauty of why I, and probably a lot of people watching this like this show, because it tries to just be a simple story of 2 really smart neets that are good at games, sent to a world because they are simply good at games. It doesn't try to be anything bigger or grander other then that simple premise. So many stories with similar premises do this but instead of a simple reason they go into this complex puzzle of why the world was created, or the character were sent here, or etc. Then towards the end of the story become this convoluted mess that gets hard to figure out. The reasoning then become either really complex and ridiculous or the reasoning just gets thrown out the window (in example first half of Sword Art Online). Don't get me wrong some stories that do this have really good reasoning to back up the stories, but most of time they don't, which is the reason why I like this show so far. However I could just be talking out of my ass since I haven't read the original source material, and it could get convoluted later on. But for now, the show so far is good because of this reasoning, and that why I think the score is justified.
Apr 30, 2014 10:00 PM

Jul 2013
It seems to me the Imanity in that world all has the IQ of a prepubescent child at best. What Sora did was nothing but a common sense yet no one in that world ever think that way. It's just... wow... no wonder they were on the brink of extinction. Even if you can't use magic, you'd think there would be someone with enough courage to lead the people (Steph's grandpa was too soft and his idealism is weak, no wonder they kept losing & the people despondent and lifeless) and I can't believe no one is sneaky enough to win games the Sora way i.e. the bullshit way. It certainly didn't take much brain power to defeat magic if we go by that "chess" game and plus you can cheat for fucks sake. You just need enough bravado and trickery yet not one member of Imanity had that kind of guile.

Imagine a country where none of the citizen is smart/sneaky/crafty/courageous. You can't? neither could I. Throughout the history for every oppressed or weak group there would always be some outstanding individuals who had enough guts to stand up to the bullies despite lacking means to do so. The Imanity in this series is like the the African-American and Martin Luther King and Malcolm X never existed.
Apr 30, 2014 10:03 PM
Aug 2009
Blank's declaration of war is actually kind of underwhelming even if it looks cool. Seeing as how it will all end up as a bunch of games anyway there really isnt too much pressure on Imanity.

As opposed to some other anime with a more realistic depiction of war like say Shingeki no Kyojin, where in that case they really are in a desperate struggle where they are besieged at all sides and actually feel the pressure of being pushed backed and crushed.

In Blank's case there worst case scenario is what, 15 games in a row from each of the races? That is not to say that it isnt cool of course, there is no doubt about it being awesome, the only thing is that compared to a version where lives are at stake to a certain degree, declaring war against all sides is kind of not so impacting.

Then again it could just be that Blank's goal is to challenge Tet so world conquest is kinda meh, compared to a god-like smackdown.
Apr 30, 2014 10:09 PM
Trickster

Jun 2011
Excellent episode. Fantastic speech by Sora. Embracing the weakness Imanity has always had, and using that experience to their advantage is smart. It's like the saying goes, the best part of losing is learning from your mistakes. And that wisdom will be the key to Imanity's victory.

I have to say, I love Sora and Shiro as lead characters. Confident, funny, charismatic, they have terrific chemistry, and they even still have a bit of mystery to them. Which I'll assume we'll learn about later on.

Having a new No Game No Life episode for my birthday was great.

Excellent stuff!
Pages (10) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » No Game No Life Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 16, 2014

510 by SanessyAdversary »»
9 hours ago

Poll: » No Game No Life Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 9, 2014

623 by hsallrounder »»
Apr 28, 5:41 AM

» No Game No Life’s Original Creator Pleads For A Second Season Of The Anime ( 1 2 )

deg - Apr 10

58 by Animeistaken »»
Apr 24, 8:33 AM

Poll: » No Game No Life Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Cheesekao - Jun 25, 2014

1020 by FarCritical »»
Apr 22, 5:11 PM

Poll: » No Game No Life Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 18, 2014

476 by FarCritical »»
Apr 22, 2:47 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.