Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jul 12, 7:57 AM

Nov 2011
Humanity really aren't holding back this season and their ambition (glory to mankind!) is more than just a catchphrase now.

It's incredible what machines are still capable of imo. Watching the march forward is like watching a monster looking after its prey. Even the regular smaller machines instill a feeling of fear. The death and despair cast over this episode really is something else.
Jul 12, 9:24 AM
May 2021
How is 9S alive bruh?? I need explanations?? is it the same thing like he had more clone bodies and now just different memory???
Jul 12, 9:31 AM

Jul 2017
The reverse hacking scene and seeing those YoRHa soldiers be infected by the virus and destroying each other there was pretty damn brutal stuff there.
Jul 12, 9:42 AM

Jan 2009
all out war now

2b did not show up this episode though

its safe to say the real enemies are the upper management of humanity
Jul 12, 9:49 AM
Feb 2021
Reply to Apratim
How is 9S alive bruh?? I need explanations?? is it the same thing like he had more clone bodies and now just different memory???
Apratim said:
Well he is an android - he has stack of bodies for replacement. All you need - just load data in it
Jul 12, 9:53 AM

Sep 2017
Love how much they added here, next eps gonna be a brutal one, and lmao at doing the ceo fight for a bad end.
Also god I love the ed so much, the musical references, and especially 2B dancing in a similar fashion to Zero's final song dance. Need that Drakengard 3 remake, or a 4.
AmadeusParadoxumJul 12, 10:05 AM
Jul 12, 9:56 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
Loved how they managed to replicate the tension that we got when we heard that speech in the game. The resistance forces tanking the assault of the cranes sure needed some steady nerves. The uncloaking of the defences though was such a badass scene. But man the logic virus sure hit harder here because we got to know some of the characters before it hit. And the effects of the virus were even more ghasly for both the YohRa soldiers and resistance androids. Overall an excellent ep that featured a great blend of action while expanding upon greatly both the initial counterattack and the subsequent tragedy that was the logic virus attack on the resistance and YohRa forces.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 12, 10:02 AM

Jul 2011
Now I'm intrigued, I would believe that the infection was already in play when 9S was contacting the others S units, and everyone was having that "onee-san play" with the B units. But 9S didn't felt that was weird, now I don't know if is the usual behaviour or the infection.

This was an incredible episode, satellite lasers, big beams, aerial battles, etc.
Jul 12, 10:11 AM

Feb 2019
Insane raaaaah they’re doing this part justice. Honestly it was even better than the game because they focused on the resistance fighters and some of the other S and B models. We really have got a lot of the resistance characters in this anime which I love. Makes all these events hit a lot harder and makes Lily even more bad ass. I got some order 66 flashbacks seeing the B models all turn on their S counterparts. Those were brutal scenes, kinda want a 12B spin off now though lmao.

Think the commander is starting to be suspicious of the humans on the moon too. Even she was taken aback when they gave them access to the orbital lasers and other weapons.

Speaking of which, animation and sound design during the big crane fights, aerial battles and lazer scenes were awesome! Great job A-1
Marinate1016Jul 12, 12:47 PM
Jul 12, 10:19 AM
Sep 2015
Don't know there are so many shota androids, they should show themselves to me much earlier. Now it's too late, they're either infected or died.
Jul 12, 10:46 AM
May 2021
LG545 said:
Apratim said:
Well he is an android - he has stack of bodies for replacement. All you need - just load data in it

Hmmm I see, that's what I was thinking. But from the previous episode it seemed they would dispose his other copies as well. Nvm, this cour 2 going really brutal anyways
Jul 12, 11:26 AM
Apr 2023
This adaptation isn't for anime-only. As someone who has played the game long ago, I don't remember which 9s this is. Considering he hasn't done backup, won't he not be able to use other bodies?
Jul 12, 11:31 AM
Feb 2022
saikyozero said:
This adaptation isn't for anime-only. As someone who has played the game long ago, I don't remember which 9s this is. Considering he hasn't done backup, won't he not be able to use other bodies?

The problem is, the data to activate it would be based on the bunker. So, it would already be infected with the virus.
Jul 12, 11:51 AM
Aug 2021
Totally love the animation quality and this anime but maybe a little continuity with the prior episode? Based on the ending I was expecting a completely different series of events. Hopefully they knit it all together later.
Jul 12, 12:39 PM
Oct 2020
4:36 32S has it good.
4:59 Ok 10S has it good even bragging about 8b to 9S. Every other S unit just bragging to 9S is hilarious lol.

Ok RIP of all those S type units that had fun with their B type units. Also why's every S type a shota? Are we sure S doesn't stand for Shota instead of Scanner? Like how B stands for Booty instead of Battle?

Also while I figured thinks were going to go wrong things really went wrong quickly. Like one minute they're nuking them and then the next they all get hacked or infected by the virus and start killing each other.

Jul 12, 12:45 PM

Feb 2019
nhkam said:
Totally love the animation quality and this anime but maybe a little continuity with the prior episode? Based on the ending I was expecting a completely different series of events. Hopefully they knit it all together later.

That’s how it goes in the game too. All will be revealed in time
Jul 12, 2:01 PM

Jul 2022
Things are going from bad to worse now that the virus has spread to all the YoRHa units. The transition from calm to tense and worried, accompanied by the soundtrack, makes for a great episode.

I think I should buy the game, but there are more important expenses ☹.
Jul 12, 4:40 PM

Dec 2015
Dude, this episode was so good! As a player of Automata, I'm having fun wondering what's going to happen next. They're killing it with 2nd cour with direction,animation and ost.

Also that hidden square enix boss at the end, LMAO xD
Jul 12, 4:44 PM

Apr 2015
The next episode will be "that part" isn't ç.ç

lol they show the DLC bosses in the post credit scene
Jul 12, 9:32 PM

Apr 2008
Good nod to the real OG baddies at the very end there.
Jul 12, 11:01 PM
Jan 2012
Reply to Rexnihilo
4:36 32S has it good.
4:59 Ok 10S has it good even bragging about 8b to 9S. Every other S unit just bragging to 9S is hilarious lol.

Ok RIP of all those S type units that had fun with their B type units. Also why's every S type a shota? Are we sure S doesn't stand for Shota instead of Scanner? Like how B stands for Booty instead of Battle?

Also while I figured thinks were going to go wrong things really went wrong quickly. Like one minute they're nuking them and then the next they all get hacked or infected by the virus and start killing each other.

@Rexnihilo Yorha made an experimental male team in the past and it went south, so they delegated all male units to scanner types so they stay away from battles. S-Types normally specialize in espionage, infiltration, and data gathering.
Jul 12, 11:09 PM
Jan 2012
Reply to saikyozero
@saikyozero Spoiler from off-game content, but it's needed to explain the situation and it shouldn't harm your experience:
Jul 12, 11:18 PM
Jan 2012
(Discussion with game spoilers):
Jul 13, 12:05 AM
Nov 2022
Reply to the_mantis42
saikyozero said:

The problem is, the data to activate it would be based on the bunker. So, it would already be infected with the virus.
@the_mantis42

Basically. Yorha loses their memories after revival in Bunker. This 9S is still the same one from season 1. He kept his memories after battle with Eve, because he copied himself to machine-lifeform network. And even though 2B killed 9S in S2E01 to erase him, he can still use his data from machine-lifeform network.
Jul 13, 12:25 AM
Jan 2015
Reply to Apratim
@Apratim

Can't answer this without major spoilers!
Jul 13, 1:32 AM

Feb 2020
So far, pretty much as good as the first season.

SerafosJul 13, 4:41 AM
Jul 13, 2:12 AM
May 2021
nabiru3 said:
@Apratim

Can't answer this without major spoilers!

Oh dayum, looking forward to how this series ends
Jul 13, 3:08 AM
Oct 2020
This season's script feels a lot better paced. I'm glad the animators were seemingly given proper breathing room to let them shine because wow this is really getting off to a great start.
Jul 13, 4:09 AM

May 2015
Glory to mankind....YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Jul 13, 5:06 AM
Jun 2007
Ouch, full retake back on Earth got reverse hacking and virus spreading....
Jul 13, 10:35 AM

Apr 2012
I'm only interested in one thing: will they be able to resurrect dead characters using stored data, as they previously did with the main characters? Or have we just seen a sci-fi version of the Omaha Beach landing gone wrong?

@jvict It all depends on what ending the anime chooses. Maybe they'll even do something original as a bonus for those who have already completed the game.

@FrozenRaider As an Eastern European, I can say that this is a very good representation of how epic hero attacks go horribly wrong. What in Russian is called “throwing hats.”
RobertBobertJul 13, 10:39 AM
Jul 13, 11:25 AM
Apr 2023
I have no way to describe the first 2 episodes, they were amazing.
Jul 13, 1:19 PM

Mar 2012
Reply to saikyozero
@saikyozero The only problem the adaptation has is that they put the type-E sidequest as the first chapter of the season, which might have thrown out some people.
This episode is canonically set after ending B, which was last episode of cour 1.

This 9S is the same 9S we have followed all the time in the anime.

Also, given that you have played the game
Waifus only represent ideals
Jul 13, 1:20 PM

Mar 2012
Nier's rumbling was better than the actual rumbling.

Don't know if some of this is based on canon content outside the game, but they took a really hype moment in the game, which is the prelude of the start of route C and elevated it ten times or more.

@RobertBobert
CorbanEspJul 13, 1:24 PM
Waifus only represent ideals
Jul 13, 2:06 PM

Nov 2007
Reply to CorbanEsp
@saikyozero The only problem the adaptation has is that they put the type-E sidequest as the first chapter of the season, which might have thrown out some people.
This episode is canonically set after ending B, which was last episode of cour 1.

@CorbanEsp Yeah I feel like they could've done a better job with that in episode one. As I see it, almost the entire episode is a "video" recording from the pods that we as the viewer get to see and it's a different 9s with the same 2b. Everything about it was off, their interactions were done before and 2b calls him nines. It's just a bit jarring that it switches from a video log to a pod livestream in the same scene that could throw people off.

Anyways the episode expanded on a lot of stuff and I for one loved it. Animations were great. Loved so see the other S and their B/E units. I hope that they go a bit off script this season because the opening is... crazy if they don't.
Jul 13, 2:07 PM

Nov 2007
Reply to CorbanEsp

@CorbanEsp Yeah I feel like they could've done a better job with that in episode one. As I see it, almost the entire episode is a "video" recording from the pods that we as the viewer get to see and it's a different 9s with the same 2b. Everything about it was off, their interactions were done before and 2b calls him nines. It's just a bit jarring that it switches from a video log to a pod livestream in the same scene that could throw people off.

Anyways the episode expanded on a lot of stuff and I for one loved it. Animations were great. Loved so see the other S and their B/E units. I hope that they go a bit off script this season because the opening is... crazy if they don't.
Jul 13, 2:23 PM
Feb 2021
Reply to RobertBobert
I'm only interested in one thing: will they be able to resurrect dead characters using stored data, as they previously did with the main characters? Or have we just seen a sci-fi version of the Omaha Beach landing gone wrong?

@jvict It all depends on what ending the anime chooses. Maybe they'll even do something original as a bonus for those who have already completed the game.

@FrozenRaider As an Eastern European, I can say that this is a very good representation of how epic hero attacks go horribly wrong. What in Russian is called “throwing hats.”
RobertBobert said:
Well... wait for next ep
Jul 13, 6:35 PM

Aug 2019
I need to know more about the lore of the game to understand what the hell is happening lol
Jul 14, 4:37 AM
Oct 2019
Mission Failed!! Mission Failed!!
Jul 14, 4:38 AM
Nov 2021
They have emotions
Jul 14, 12:22 PM
Oct 2020
YOKOTARO IS FUCKING COOKING
Jul 14, 3:29 PM

Mar 2014
I've played the game and found this episode amazing
Jul 14, 9:59 PM

Jul 2020
cool explosions but I've completely lost track of the story if there even is one anymore
Jul 15, 12:27 PM

May 2018
OK, this is the rebooted 9S after 2B killed him last episode, so I guess he has forgotten the info he stumbled upon at the end of the last season. I wonder if he has hidden a copy of that information for his current self to find...genuine question not a spoiler, since that part of the anime is a bit different

In the post credit skit they showed the Colosseum with its biggest champions (Guess who those guys are!), wasn't this in a DLC?
Jul 16, 10:19 AM

May 2021
Even as someone who's played the game, I was a bit confused by the continuity but apparently, the first ep was set in the past. One of many iterations of 2B having to kill 9S coz he's just that good.

Don't remember the resistance fighters being focused on in the game so that's a W from the anime. Maybe it's recency bias but it does feel better than the first cour.

Also, some Rumbling and Order 66 references too.

Jul 16, 7:58 PM

Jul 2016
Episode 2 and everything is already going to shit. Guess this cour will be quite the chaotic one.

9S being the only one not receiving the onee-san treatment was sad asf.

And lol at the virus basically turning all B-units into yanderes.
Jul 17, 3:12 AM

Dec 2020
Feels like anime is like running multiple scenario as a simulation, things are canon or non-canon, with multiple ends all get shown without a timeline.

People never fully finished or understood the initial game will have not a slightest idea of what is going on here.

Also how could they spoil one of the bigger twist in the game just like that in ep1.. bruh
N2NJul 17, 3:16 AM
Jul 17, 8:12 AM

Jan 2018
This episode was amazing. I like how they expanded on the same event from the game but made it way more traumatic. This actually made me look forward to the 2nd cour more. Hopefully, there will be this type of original content to improve upon the source material. Seaon 1 mostly failed in that regard IMO. The original content in Season 1 weren't that interesting and some of the changes were unnecessary. But Season 2 is more promising (so far).

Man, I can't wait for the next episode. Shit is gonna go down.

N2N said:
Also how could they spoil one of the bigger twist in the game just like that in ep1.. bruh

Yeah, I agree. That was a huge twist in the game and they shouldn't have used it in episode 1... It makes it feel like the anime assumed you had already played the game and knew what was gonna happen. Making it episode 1 and then following up on it with this was probably just confusing for anime-onlies. It probably should've been episode 3 or 4.
Jul 19, 11:15 AM

May 2020
This could be the first episode and things would've been perfect lol. Though I could understand if they wanted to convey the "change" in 9S on the back of that last episode. Anyway, very brutal this episode was, but I'm afraid the next one is going to top it.
Jul 19, 3:15 PM

Dec 2018
I voted "dislike" and I wanted to say why, exactly. This is probably still my favorite game of all time, and I've played several hundreds. I feel like the anime did not properly convey the emotions attached to this arc, the despair at learning about the humans, the loss of the operator and the commander, the fear associated with the loss of the base, all of it felt like they were just checking off boxes like, "yeah that happened." This isn't a history class, there is supposed to be real emotion behind it, and many won't even remember the conversation the operator had with 2B/E about the flower. If the anime hinges only on that one data point after all this time it's going to feel soulless and I really wish they had spent more time connecting the audience with the surroundings and the characters. Jackass, popola/devola, operator, 2A, Adam and eve, the repeated slaughter of 9s, all of these are huge emotional things in the game but fell flat in the anime.

I feel bad for anime only watchers. Don't get me wrong, I'm stoked to see this adaptation, I just wish it was given the love in development that it deserves. So seeing as this is a pivotal episode I have to vote dislike because it really didn't do it justice.

One more thing that really irks me: sometimes this show uses the original soundtrack the way it was intended and it's beautiful, but in this episode I felt like it could have been used more appropriately to convey the emotions that the animation failed to deliver. Anime only: please, the whole OST is on YT, check it out, it's majestic.

Sorry if this sounded elitist.
StateofOhayoJul 19, 3:18 PM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » NieR:Automata Ver1.1a Part 2 Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Yesterday

57 by KOTFTW »»
19 minutes ago

» Canon

Rayane-47 - 6 hours ago

6 by djg2345312 »»
2 hours ago

» Anime-only fans, my condolences!

SteelLad - Jul 20

22 by Rayane-47 »»
6 hours ago

Poll: » NieR:Automata Ver1.1a Part 2 Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jul 19

64 by ReganDesu »»
8 hours ago

Poll: » NieR:Automata Ver1.1a Part 2 Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jul 5

78 by Ckea »»
Jul 23, 8:46 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.