Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sound! Euphonium (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Apr 7, 7:11 AM

Jan 2021
A beautiful first episode. KyoAni know how to work their magic, and this was a great showing. The visuals were beautiful & the atmosphere was warm, yet there's a hint of uneasiness you can feel. Kumiko is finally in her third year...will they finally get gold now? They have to.

I'm enthusiastic about this season, but it's not going to be easy. The band lost so many notable members: Asuka, Haruka, Kaori, Yuuko, Natsuki, Nozomi, Mizore...I know some are better than others, but I'm going to miss seeing them.

The new Eupho player looks interesting, and I also liked those 4 bass(?) players. Don't know how to feel about Kanade. I'm hoping for some more Reina focus...she's such an interesting character that only Kumiko can rival for me. She has so much personality, I just love seeing Reina being Reina. Anyhow, really looking forward to this.
Apr 7, 7:40 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Nice first episode to starts the season and ...
the last year our girls!!
The goal is mark... and in my opinion, they coulp pass the regionals and go to the nationals, but first, watch the new members and how can help the band!!!

Kekeke
Apr 7, 7:43 AM

Sep 2010
I got chills when the credits were finished. Rooting for Kitauji to win gold at nationals! Go, President Kumiko!

"to the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world." -a magnet
Apr 7, 7:48 AM

May 2015
Wow, has it been already seven years since the second season? Watching the third I had to realise that I don't remember the names of the girls, their personalities, their idiosyncrasies. It feels like as if I have started watching a series in the middle.
Apr 7, 8:02 AM

Feb 2019
Feels so good to have Kumiko and Reina back after all these years
Apr 7, 8:05 AM
Jun 2023
KUMIKO AND REINA ARE BACK!! Ngl, when Kumiko asked everyone if they would like to go for the gold at Nationals and it was unanimous, I almost teared up, I really want them to finally be able to get that mark hopefully by the end if this season! Btw, this part made me laugh, Kumiko was ready for it 😂
LosTakeoverApr 7, 8:11 AM
Apr 7, 8:34 AM
Apr 2022
Reply to KYi7O
OMAGAAAA AFTER 8 YEARSSSSSSSSSSSS
@KYi7O it's not really 8 years though, they've released quite a few side stories and sequel stories after season 2 ended so you might want to watch those to catch up with the story
Apr 7, 8:51 AM
Aug 2022
Definitely a good way to get back into sound euphonium, all the characters are just as they used to be and the animation is great like always.

Despite they graduated I really hope we see Yuuko and Asuka again later down the season.

I’m way too invested in this story at this point I’m gonna be so disappointed if they don’t get gold at nationals.
Apr 7, 9:29 AM
Mar 2018
A strong, confident first step, in what is sure to be a brilliant conclusion.

I'm so happy to have been able to catch up with the show (movies and OVAs included) in time so that I could accompany it in its last hurrah!

The visuals are, of course, gorgeous. I wasn't expecting anything less, but I was curious whether it would feel even a little different considering the tragic events that transpired in 2019, between the second season and this one. Thankfully, that's not the case; we get the same slick, sophisticated animation and directing we've been accustomed to for the last decade.

As for the writing, it's as good as ever! I love seeing Kumiko slowly come into her own as the club president. She's assertive when she needs to be, and soft when it's appropriate. Her little interactions with Kanade are so funny! XD I wonder what's going on with Taki-sensei (though I do have an idea...).

Can't wait to watch next week's episode (in due time)!
Apr 7, 9:33 AM
The Priest Esser

Nov 2011
I miss the characters that graduated a lot. I hope they make the new additions just as interesting. This new mysterious Euphonium player seems like a shake up for the entire series and I am so here for it.

I am hoping that Kumiko's new found "relationship" with that one dude that I have already forgotten the name of, isn't not focused because frankly I am just not interested in seeing that and there might be a dispute even between people that want to see that vs Kumiko and Reina.

Surely this didn't start out like the banger it was in season 1 with that first impressionable episode. I do love this vibe that Euphonium gives off. Very chill.
idk why I was here but I'm prob back to playing Dragon's Dogma 2 again when you read this

Apr 7, 9:50 AM
Sep 2016
Point of interest:
- The return of Kumiko noises...
- The return of Kumiko's iconic: "Shoshite... Tsugi no kyoku wa hajimaru desu...."
- Ribbon-chan's iconic red ribbon
- The all-time famous Kumiko x Reina's "I-can't-believe-they're-not-gay" relationship
- Hollup! Did Sapphire x Motomu ever a thing really?
Python is the best programming language ever. FIGHT ME!
Apr 7, 10:28 AM

Mar 2019
Midori-chan, how good it is to see you again, my little flower! (⁠人⁠*⁠´⁠∀⁠`⁠)⁠。⁠*゚⁠✿
Apr 7, 10:43 AM
Oct 2019
Man, I have missed this show so much!
Apr 7, 10:50 AM

Jul 2021
pretty good first episode. it just feels like we resumed right from previous seasons.

this was pretty much the introductory episode with the same goal of winning gold in nationals this time and i have a feeling they just might.

kumiko is doing a good job at her presidential duties too which is great to see.

and possible new euph player. kumiko sounded kinda sad and dejected while announcing "the next piece begins" at the episode end, i smell drama.

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

Apr 7, 11:10 AM

Jul 2016
We are so back babyyyyyyy!!!

I feel genuine pride for Kumiko. I don't have kids but is this what it's like to see your child grow up?
Apr 7, 11:49 AM
Feb 2023
A wonderful first episode for the new season.
Apr 7, 12:22 PM

Feb 2019
“New euphonium” is a wonderfully apt name for the Hibike Season 3 premiere episode. Kumiko, now the president of the music club, is responsible for assembling a new generation of musicians and getting them ready for the long journey to gold at nationals.

You can really feel how the disappointment of last season’s regional results still lingers with Kumiko. Winning gold has almost become like an obsession to her. I can’t wait to see how she and the girls work towards achieving their goals this season.

The first years seem like they’ll be a lot of fun. Really energetic and a lot of quirky personalities. It’s so cool that they were able to get such a large amount of students to sign up for the music club. The school’s performance at the Kansai regionals will have no doubt got their name out there and made people more interested.

Speaking of the girls, that amazing dynamic between Reina and Kumiko is back and better than ever. Kyoani always have a way of making characters feel so real, and that hallway scene of the two girls just playfully teasing each other about what’s on their minds felt so authentic. It’s a minor moment, but it’s scenes like this that make Hibike and Kyoani works as a whole so special.

Another thing that’ll be fun to see play out is just Kumiko in this leadership role. She’s clearly still a bit nervous and trying to learn on the job and it feels really authentic. That scene at the end of her nearly passing out from excitement when winning gold at nationals was announced as the club’s goal was so well done.

One glaring issue they have is the lack of Eupho players, so Kuroe Maya showed up at the perfect time. This season is shaping up to be even better than the previous two and given everything that’s happened to Kyoani since then, it’ll be that much more special.
Marinate1016Apr 7, 1:08 PM
Apr 7, 1:28 PM

Mar 2020
Oh how I have missed this series... Sound! Euphonium is back on the menu, and the third year begins at Kitauji!

This has been one of those series that have meant so much to me, especially with my favourite anime film and my favourite anime in general, Liz and the Blue Bird (please watch it if you haven't) being one that has resonated with me a lot since I watched it about a year and a half ago. The portrayals of music and friendships, as well as just the presentation overall has me truly enamoured with the series.

With the new season, comes the last stretch of this series as Kumiko and her classmates are entering their final year of high school, and as we saw in the Ensemble Contest OVA, Kumiko is now in a leadership role, and is doing exactly what her senpais have done before her. She'll have her challenges ahead for sure, especially with the presence of Mayu Kuroe, a transfer student, who will challenge her with her own strong euphonium skills.

Not too much to say yet since we've only just begun, but it's sure to be a great season! And the next piece begins...
Apr 7, 1:39 PM

Apr 2019
WE'RE BACK BABY!!!
KyoAni has returned with their highly skilled team to bless us with the 3rd season of out favourite concert band anime!

Pretty good first episode to start off the season. Kumiko is now the clubs president with Reina being the Drum Major and Shuuichi being the Vice President, and we also have out goal for the year which is of course winning gold a nationals. They weren't succesful in the previous two years so hopefully they'll be able to pull it off this time around, since it's their last chance to do so. We also have the arrival of Kuroe Mayu, a new transfer (probably a third year in Kumiko's class) girl who also plays the euphonium, so she'll probably join the band at some point in the season.

It's really nice to see how Kumiko and Reina's relathionship has progressed since the start of the first season till now.
Also on a side note, the welcome band played "Koi" by Gen Hoshino, which was a suprise to be sure but a welcome one.

It's honestly so unreal to me that it's been almost 6 years since I first started the series, and now we're getting a 3rd season to see it off; which is a hell of a lot better than a movie, so I've very thankful for that. This series has done a lot for me and gotten me into a lot of things that I don't think I'd otherwise be into had I not watched it, so it means a lot to me to be able to see how it'll end after all these years. So needless to say, I'm really excited to see how this season and Kumiko's 3rd year play out!
arcticmontysApr 7, 1:48 PM
Apr 7, 2:30 PM
ザクシャ イン ラブ

Aug 2016
I am so glad we are back at Kitauji for Kumiko's third and final year. Kyoto Animation once again does a great job depicting the visual beauty of the city of Uji. It's also refreshing to see Kumiko step into the shoes once filled by Haruka and Yuuko, as the president of the school's Wind Ensemble Club. Kanade is just as cute as ever and we get four new first-years joining Kumiko's brass section, each with their own unique quirks. There is a buddy bump between Kumiko and Reina that is my favorite scene in the episode, before the club decides on its objective for the year, which to no surprise is to aim for gold at nationals. We end on Kumiko coming face to face with the long-awaited "New Euphonium" which we were promised, with Mayu giving us a beautiful first impression.

All in all, this is my favorite first episode. As a Euphonium fan, getting everything I wanted. I am excited for the OP and ED visuals in the upcoming episodes, as well as seeing the development of our new first years along with Mayu who I am already a fan of.

My new favorite quote from Reina, 「ライクじゃなくてラブだから。」"I don't like him. I love him." It's always hype when Kumiko ends each episode with「そして、次の曲が始まるのです。」

YuukiTheFlashApr 8, 8:53 PM
Apr 7, 2:54 PM

Jul 2021
My most anticipated anime of Spring 2024 finally dropped. After all these years. I can't stop smiling.

Beautiful animation as always.

Immediately worried for the characters, though. The new euphonium's introduction feels a little ominous, for some reason. The pressure on Kumiko as the club president must be insane, too. Especially with 90 (!) members.
Apr 7, 3:09 PM

Jul 2021
Reply to Ishitateso
Wow, has it been already seven years since the second season? Watching the third I had to realise that I don't remember the names of the girls, their personalities, their idiosyncrasies. It feels like as if I have started watching a series in the middle.
Ishitateso said:
It feels like as if I have started watching a series in the middle.

If you're coming straight from Season 2, you're missing an entire year's worth of story.

In my understanding, there are two movies/OVAs that cover Kumiko's 2nd year: Chikai no Finale (AKA Our Promise A Brand New Day AKA "Movie 3") and Ensemble Contest Arc.

The former is on Crunchyroll (where I live, at least), and I couldn't find a place to watch the latter legally.

Of course, we won't know if those will be required viewing to understand Season 3.

I'm not sure if they're worth tracking down anyway, since I did watch Chikai no Finale but don't remember much about it...
Apr 7, 3:13 PM

Jul 2012
Reply to perseii
Ishitateso said:

If you're coming straight from Season 2, you're missing an entire year's worth of story.

In my understanding, there are two movies/OVAs that cover Kumiko's 2nd year: Chikai no Finale (AKA Our Promise A Brand New Day AKA "Movie 3") and Ensemble Contest Arc.

The former is on Crunchyroll (where I live, at least), and I couldn't find a place to watch the latter legally.

Of course, we won't know if those will be required viewing to understand Season 3.

I'm not sure if they're worth tracking down anyway, since I did watch Chikai no Finale but don't remember much about it...
@perseii You are missing one. Liz and the Bluebird also covers part of Kumiko's 2nd year and adds to the watch of Chikai no Finale.

Chikai no Finale and the Ensemble Contest Arc are pretty important to understand Kumiko's relationship with Kanade. Both Liz and the Bluebird and Chikai no Finale are available for streaming with the Shout! Channel on Amazon Prime in the US.
Apr 7, 3:30 PM

Jul 2021
Reply to Phoenix_Trite
@perseii You are missing one. Liz and the Bluebird also covers part of Kumiko's 2nd year and adds to the watch of Chikai no Finale.

Chikai no Finale and the Ensemble Contest Arc are pretty important to understand Kumiko's relationship with Kanade. Both Liz and the Bluebird and Chikai no Finale are available for streaming with the Shout! Channel on Amazon Prime in the US.
Phoenix_Trite said:
Liz and the Bluebird also covers part of Kumiko's 2nd year

Oh I did watch Liz and the Blue Bird and enjoyed it, and I do know it takes place during Kumiko's 2nd year, but I don't think that movie adds a lot to Kumiko's storyline. It was more of a cameo from Kumiko, I think?

I don't remember the connection between Liz and the Blue Bird and Chikai no Finale, so I'll have to take your word for it.
Apr 7, 4:59 PM

May 2021
Ah yes Sunday's are going to be for Hibike! Man, we finally made it and I couldn't be happier. Music and visuals up to par per usual, seeing all of the familiar faces + new characters put a huge smile on my face. Can't wait for next week. Kumiko and Reina going for gold once more!
Apr 7, 5:43 PM

Nov 2021
PEAK FICTION IS BACK
Apr 7, 6:24 PM

Aug 2020
I am feeling lots of good emotions right now. I am truly blessed to see this series coming to life again, and I'll hold this season dearly. I love it. I love it. Please, make me happy make me cry and make me remember this feeling forever.

Apr 7, 6:40 PM

Feb 2008
So happy to see the band back... I am very tempted to watch the leaked second episode but I will hold it like a champ. I do not like Kumiko's dad, don't care if the guy has worked all his life, just let the girl enjoy her last year in high school. I doubt that will be a big thing in this season since they have to win gold in Nationals.

I really hated Kanade during the movie but she has grown on me since the Ensemble OVA. She's funny and always has an answer, my kind of gremlin. Waiting IMPATIENTLY for next sunday.
"Manga readers are annoying, all they do is complain or spoil the anime we discuss in an anime forum. They should really do their whining at manga forums."

Stolen from Janethan23. Add in visual novel readers too
Apr 7, 8:30 PM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Great start! There are too many lovely moments all over the episode to pick up and talk about separately but I'll just list out some of my fav ones: Gen Hoshino-san's "Koi!" to the welcome students, Hazuki-chan's little play along with the newcomers and their respective self-introductions, the voting session and some nice little Kumiko-Reina moments!

We're off to a great start, and I know this will end the franchise off on a high! Can't wait! They were just talking about 2 euphoniums and maybe that's covered too?
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Apr 7, 8:42 PM

May 2015
Reply to perseii
Ishitateso said:

@perseii You are right I didn't watch those two movies so that could explain why I felt myself lost in some of their comments and references to things that don't ring a bell. Actually I have watched Liz and the Bluebird but that was so long ago too, that I can remember only a few scenes and its general storyline and atmosphere. So I should watch the movies but there are so many things on my plate right now that I will skip those and just go with the story as it is.
IshitatesoApr 8, 6:23 AM
Apr 8, 12:00 AM

Apr 2020
Hibike Euphonium truly is back! I'm sad that this will be the last season but all good things must come to an end. This episode was a really good intro to the new first year students
Apr 8, 4:54 AM

Aug 2020
Oh boy the new opening... Almost there

Apr 8, 6:05 AM

Feb 2014
It's been 9 years since Sound! Euphonium first aired, which feels like a long time ago, yet at the same time, it doesn't. Still, I'm happy to see KyoAni back once again with the 3rd season of this series. =)

Kumiko still remains the same as always with how she converses with her friends and fellow bandmates, which brings a smile on my face. I enjoyed seeing her and Kanade bounce back between each other during this episode in particular.

Still, it's her final year of high school, along with Reina, Hazuki and Sapphire, so it'll be their last chance to go for gold at the nationals. The recruitment drive for new members was a big success, where a few of them look to be promising from their introductions alone. Thankfully, despite being a group of ninety members, everyone was unanimous in wanting to go for gold. Here's hoping that they can achieve this goal this time around.

Lastly, we were also introduced to Mayu, who was playing her own euphonium. She seems to be a nice girl, although I can't help but feel that things will be seriously competitive. Kumiko's going to have to work hard, not only as the club president, but also as a fellow euphonium player herself, so do your best, Kumiko!
Apr 8, 2:53 PM
Dec 2014
Fantastic first episode, the quality of the animation is still excelent, thanks KyoAni.
Apr 8, 3:14 PM
Mob Character C

Oct 2009
Really nice start. I think I wasn't all that into season two, but this season seems more fresh. I'm in and liking it fine this time around.

Enjoy your anime! | Witch Cafe Wisteria
Apr 8, 3:33 PM

Mar 2013
And a new journey to achieve gold begins! I miss kyoani and hibike cast.

Ps: I miss Asuka so much AAAAAAAAA cry.

Apr 8, 6:45 PM

Jul 2016
Great to see my favorite not-lesbians again. The Chikai no Finale movie wasn't the best but I'm hopeful this season will make Kumiko's third year justice.

Also wonder if Asuka will make a brief appearance at some point. I miss her so much (┬┬﹏┬┬)
Apr 9, 3:57 AM

Mar 2021
Yes... yaaaaaaaaaas, really looking forward to this! New season, new first years... same ol Kumiko ❤😂

The Kumiko x Reina moments in the hallway bumping into each other... need more of that please.
Respectfully ofc

Apr 9, 6:11 AM
Jun 2023
The best music animei ever
Apr 9, 6:11 AM

May 2021
We're so blessed to have more Kumiko-Reina moments. Oh, and a new eupho player with talent on par with Asuka-senpai. I wanna see how Reina reacts to this.

Apart from that, Kumiko as a prez is pretty awkward. Luckily, she does have her special skill - resolve emotional issues through being at the right place at the right time, coming in clutch.

Apr 9, 8:34 AM
Jun 2022
I lost my words with how the club has grown from the first season.

Apr 9, 9:34 AM

May 2020
Reply to Joshhhp
@ChrisTries I know about the other movie, but I haven't watched the OVA (>'-'<)
Nevermind, I did see the OVA... silly me!

MAL is the perfect place to shit talk about people's opinions.
Apr 9, 11:59 AM

May 2016
We’re back! Kumiko!!!!!!!!!
Apr 9, 12:47 PM
Jun 2016
This made me feel so warm and fuzzy. I missed this anime so much and it just made me feel like coming home. Beautiful animation as always. Lets go Kumiko and friends! 🏅
Apr 9, 8:35 PM

Mar 2008
This Mayu Kuroe, but the way Kumiko reacted it seems like she recognized the name.
Is she someone that I should know and is she someone whose backstory was still not shown?
Apr 9, 10:31 PM

Sep 2018
Reply to PaninaManina
This Mayu Kuroe, but the way Kumiko reacted it seems like she recognized the name.
Is she someone that I should know and is she someone whose backstory was still not shown?
@PaninaManina After that dramatic introduction I totally expected to come here and have people talking about why Kumiko would be afraid of her. Like if her family name had a connection to something that was mentioned earlier. But I guess I'll find out along with everyone else. I hope she turns out to be friendly.
Apr 10, 1:22 AM
Dec 2020
KyoAni back to form. Immediately felt like I was sucked back into the Season 1 and Season 2 time.
Everything feels new yet familiar, plenty of subtle and not-so-subtle callbacks to the previous installments of the series, voice acting top-notch once again (especially Sora Amamiya as Kanade, god I can't get enough of that cheeky little cinnamon bun), artstyle, animation, lighting perfect once again.

I love what they did with Mayu Kuroe, giving her an introduction that has elements we've seen with both Asuka and Reina up until now (the solitary playing of a slow, emotional tune, and the special visual flair when Kumiko first takes a good look at her)... it really sets her up as an important character right from the get-go.

all in all...

EUPHO IS BACK Y'ALL
Apr 10, 2:14 AM

Apr 2023
When Kumiko finished her breakfast and walked next to her mother, I got the first shock: "OMG look how tall she is now!" I almost felt paternal pride in seeing this girl grow up so quickly, she went through so much with the other children and now she is the senpai president.

It's a shame that her father is portrayed as so strict and difficult to communicate with his daughters, it's commendable that he cares about their professional future, but he had to realize that all he needed from them was to develop a good personality, and that Kumiko and Mamiko have it, they are good girls and have what it takes to lead a good and relatively happy life. In the end, that's what matters.

Even if Kumiko doesn't get the national gold, I would like her father to have the opportunity to recognize that he is the one who has two nuggets of gold at home and that he could reconcile with Mamiko and be able to support Kumiko, so that she doesn't get frustrated and to seek new goals in life.
Apr 10, 8:05 AM
Jun 2007
Wow 8 years+ since S2. Lets go! Towards Nationals!
Apr 11, 8:39 AM

Mar 2024
KyoAni, as always, makes high-level anime.
I really liked the art and music in first episode.
The plot, as always in Euphonium series, is a little boring, but still enjoyable to watch.
Also im really interested in the new heroine.

Waiting for second episode.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium 3 Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

IzanaSolos - May 19

63 by M1kasaYu1 »»
7 hours ago

» The heck happened to the anime score?

Mazeenu - Yesterday

6 by KayKimii »»
Yesterday, 5:19 PM

» I love Kumiko, but...

mufarari - May 12

26 by ricky78 »»
Yesterday, 5:20 AM

» Sucks to be Shuichi?

Laplace_kun - May 18

13 by ricky78 »»
May 22, 9:57 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium 3 Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

IzanaSolos - Apr 21

59 by -Trippwire- »»
May 21, 8:36 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.