Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Mar 13, 6:57 AM

Nov 2011
It led to this...a final exam of this year. Kinda interesting that this time around, they test the players more physically in a competitive game of basketball.

Chess also turned out to be a major part of this episode. Seriously though, the main cast especially Ayanokoji was built towards these final episodes with all the events that went down this season. Now it's heading to its climax.
Mar 13, 6:58 AM

Dec 2021
The first year's final exam starts now!

As Hirata recovers and the class shows unity, the long-awaited showdown between Ayanokoji and Sakayanagi finally begins: the first year's final special exam. The first match chosen is basketball. The standard rules was applied with the required participants to be 5. While Class C puts up a good fight, it's no surprise since Class A has been holding back. Furthermore, Sakayanagi believes that even if Sudou enters the game midway, he can break their spirit.

Wow, didn't expect a flashback in the white room, but it helped show Ayanokoji and Sakayanagi's history somewhat. Back to now, we're choosing events on computers, feeling like Super Smash Bros. The basketball match was intense and well-animated for the most part. Kouenji seems like a cheat code, getting answers with his eyes closed. They didn't win, so whatever. Then there's the chess game, with the OP playing, which is actually fitting since it's called Minor Piece. Ayanokoji would've won if not for a dickrider backing his opponent. In the end, Ayanokoji won the real game—between friends. That wraps up volume 11, the best-adapted yet between season 2 and this season. And we'll get two episodes for the .5 volume. Nice.

Enemies becoming friends, huh?

Mar 13, 6:58 AM
Sep 2015
Does anyone keep track if the quotation at the beginning is actually related to the event in the episode or not?

But anyway, exciting episode. Even if it's really hard to see which relationship that involve Ayanokouji will lead to the romantic one. But it'd be interesting to see him interact more with Kouenji and Ryuuen.
Mar 13, 7:00 AM
Aug 2022
The 1st Year Final Exams Begins Now.
Mar 13, 7:01 AM

Oct 2017
Small Sakayanagi kawaii, in sailor uniform no less. She's a girl in love or what. That post credit scene was just so good, love her. Need more Ayanokouji x Arisu. Also I hope that piece of shit new guy suffers, so annoying.
MegamiRemMar 27, 9:40 AM
Mar 13, 7:06 AM

Jan 2020
The first year's final exam is finally here, but the real fun begins only when the chess game between Class C and Class A commences - and I love how the thrilling music blends in with the mood perfectly. Also, smol Sakayanagi is cute af.

That handholding... It looks like Arisu made peace with Ayanokouji now so I guess it would be interesting to see which girl he's leaning toward. Only two episodes left to go!

RaiYouMar 13, 7:10 AM

Mar 13, 7:09 AM

Feb 2021
Didn't expect a bit of Ayanokoji's past being shown now, nice.
We need someone who is knowledgeable about chess to analyze this game (or what was shown of it). I think it'll be interesting.
The full version of the OP played during the game. Pretty cool.
There is a long scene after credits!
Hmmmm, I can ship this. Sakayanagi sure act a lot cuter when she's with Ayano lol.

Btw I'm not an LN reader, but I read a bit of the scene with Ayano encouraging Hirata from last episode, and holy damn, anime Ayano and LN Ayano are totally different characters. In the anime it was like "yeah, another tool", but in the LN it was much more emotional, and Ayano actually felt like a good friend helping a good friend.
Mar 13, 7:14 AM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
I definitely liked the post Ending scene so much, it was the best one this episode ^.^

I hope for more casual, non-serious scenes between Ayanokoji and Arisu :)

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Mar 13, 7:21 AM
Jul 2023
Arisu is really into Kiyotaka even more now, hope to see this two interact casually more.
Mar 13, 7:55 AM

Nov 2017
ok what the hell, Sorry Arisu i thought you're just another annoying character in this series lol, and turns out She's just another Best Girl in this series imo haha, only 2 episodes remaining can't wait !!!
Mar 13, 8:00 AM
Jul 2020
The episode was... pretty good tbh. Definetly one of the best this season, although that isnt saying alot.

I don't mind that they cut or skipped some stuff about the first 6 subjects, no one really cares about those tbh lol. The chess game itself was quite good. The full op playing during it worked better than I would've expected and I noticed that there wasn't even a single frame in which Arisu didn't look good. Deserved for the queen. Tsukishiro's entrace was also pretty good

This is like the one episode where they should've put the original ending for this season (y'know, THE ONE WHICH IS LITERALLY FOCUSED ON ARISU) but they decided to use the other one...

The post-credits scene is prob my favourite scene out of the entire anime. It looked great, the ost was fantastic and they THANKFULLY animated Arisu's lines about warmth being a wonderful thing and touching ayano's hands. Ayanokouji was even a little suprised. Though, unfortunately they didn't draw them going back home and chatting about meaningless things (which is fine, don't get me wrong, but I just would've loved to see that panel being animated)

Also, I'm not sure about this, but the moves during the chess game, especially the ones that are supposed to be amazing and only being able to be done by geniuses didn't look that difficult? Im not a chess master by any means but the chess game did look rather lackluster for one thats between 2 geniuses. It's be nice to have someone look into that

Mar 13, 8:03 AM
Jul 2020
good animeeeeeeeeeeeee
Mar 13, 8:10 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Although the adaptation has been ok at best, this is a real good spot to place that flashback to the White Room. Makes the chess match a lot more significant.

Horikita and class reaction being saved for next episode then.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Mar 13, 8:11 AM

Nov 2010
  • I didn't expect the last twist - the tampering by the administrators.
  • Having watched this episode, now I'm not sure if Sakayanagi is merciless.
  • So, she got injury on her leg at some point!?
Mar 13, 8:17 AM
Mar 2022
That confession from Sakayanagi really hits different and Ayanokoji really startled over that handshake from Sakayanagi which feels very nice!

Felt kinda sad that they sabotaged Ayanokoji just to let him get kick out from school even though he has protection point to escape from it. This is why I never trust a game that is judged digitally. Everything can be manipulated just to make sure that the other side gets to be the winner.

Overall, quite an interesting episode especially when we see Koenji answering the question without even looking at the screen 🤣 He’s a chad for reason!
Mar 13, 8:24 AM
Jun 2012
Probably my favorite episode from this season, it was exciting since the beggining until the end. I never expected crying but I did, I really like how they show in Ayanokouji in this, I really hope he will be able to leave the white room in his mind.

10/10 the episode, this series recovered my faith in the anime.

I don't want this anime ends.

And I really like they did a chess play realistic, never watch it in other anime before!
SoyMiaMar 13, 8:27 AM
Mar 13, 8:48 AM

Feb 2019
ANIME WHITE ROOM. Also they made the control room Arisu and Kiyo are in look so cool, I didn’t expect them to be in a literal war room like that lol. I’m fine with them skipping bits of the other exam subjects because realistically we’re all here for the chess match.

NOOO NOT THE CGI HANDS DURING THE CHESS MATCH. Lerche what’re you cooking lmao. That aside, loved how they handled the match. Suzune’s fear of losing and her inner pleas for Kiyo to save her, the back and forth between the school’s two geniuses, it was all brilliant. I have to say the moves didn’t look that complex though, but I’m not a chess master lol. Lerche did cook with Arisu face and character model throughout the match.

Still irks me that we got robbed of a Kiyo win blatantly like that. Tsukishiro doesn’t even hide the fact that the school is against him. What a deflating end to a generational chess match. Even with the “loss” class C went toe to toe with Class A so they really should have nothing to be ashamed about. From the outside perspective it’s a win.

On the bright side, this brought Arisu and Kiyo closer and made her fall for him even more. Glad they kept her line about warmth in. That final shot of her smiling is so cute too!
Marinate1016Mar 13, 9:21 AM
Mar 13, 9:04 AM

Jan 2021
Reply to Embient
Didn't expect a bit of Ayanokoji's past being shown now, nice.
We need someone who is knowledgeable about chess to analyze this game (or what was shown of it). I think it'll be interesting.
The full version of the OP played during the game. Pretty cool.
There is a long scene after credits!
Hmmmm, I can ship this. Sakayanagi sure act a lot cuter when she's with Ayano lol.

Btw I'm not an LN reader, but I read a bit of the scene with Ayano encouraging Hirata from last episode, and holy damn, anime Ayano and LN Ayano are totally different characters. In the anime it was like "yeah, another tool", but in the LN it was much more emotional, and Ayano actually felt like a good friend helping a good friend.
@Embient Idk about the whole game, but the last move was definitely some big brain stuff, he wanted sacrifice the queen to kind of force him to take with the pawn meaning that if the rook came to that line it would be blocked by that pawn and wouldnt able to come in like that effortlessly, he had a 4 point advantage before he made a move but most moves in that position either put you into a losing one or end you on the spot, that one can help you maintain the advantage. I am not that great at chess, I just put it into an engine cuz I was curious lol.
Mar 13, 9:16 AM
Jan 2023
I can't anymore jesus. The chess game at the end, she is supposed to be like amazing at the game but at least the final few moves were so bad it's kind of ridiculous, that she didn't notice they weren't ayanokojis. He is in a clearly advantageous position and then blunders mate in 3 just like that. Her reaction to that: yeah makes sense he is supposed to make no mistakes but blunder mate in 3 from a winning position yeah that checks out. like wtf. and also the quenn move is fuckin terrible. just like basically all the other moves. almost every move at the end is a blunder. i just can't that shit is so funny
_Freeze_Mar 13, 9:21 AM
Mar 13, 9:34 AM

Dec 2023
Koenji is definitely the most intriguing character in this show. We're already three seasons in and we still have no idea why he mostly doesn't give a shit. I do know he loves to troll everyone tho.

I thought Ayanokoji screwed up on the last move, but it made sense that he rigged it.
She set up her trap, he saw it and countered, then suddenly gave up and fell for it? My AyanoGOATji would never...
To have 60 minutes in a match only to make about 30-35 moves is really slow.

Also, I thought Tsukishiro wouldn't be involved in school matters until April. Was it past April at this point?
Autoparts_22Mar 13, 10:52 AM
Mar 13, 9:58 AM

May 2020
I'm hoping we'd see the parts with class D and class B, which they completely skipped over this episode, next time. Can only hope though, but still, we're left with just one volume now, and they've two full episodes for that. Hilarious how this feels assuring.

Also, the walk back felt really poetic in novel, but they kind of scrapped that thing here lol. Though one good thing, we got the flashbacks of the white room, and in the context of this episode, it was one right move.

Of course, if it wasn't for Tsukishiro and his team of developers, Ayanokouji wouldn't have lost. I mean we know that, no could beat him lol. Though I feel for Horikita, dude confidently bragged about him being HIM, and lost lol.
Mar 13, 10:10 AM

Feb 2021
Finally the long awaited final exam of year 1, with the epic battle between Ayanokouji and Sakayanagi, they did a good job with this one, though I little different with how it was in the LN.

They still need to announce the results of the contest between class B and D, and then they can end this season by adapting volume 11.5

Mar 13, 10:12 AM

May 2021
That final chess battle is exactly like what I pictured when I read it. Cool that that part is done pretty well. The basketball game is basically just slide show lol. But good to see this arc ends.
Mar 13, 10:14 AM

May 2021
Reply to kuroneko99
  • I didn't expect the last twist - the tampering by the administrators.
  • Having watched this episode, now I'm not sure if Sakayanagi is merciless.
  • So, she got injury on her leg at some point!?
@kuroneko99
Nah she has some sort of heart illness thats why she holds a walking stick. Not a leg injury.
Mar 13, 10:31 AM

Nov 2015
The best episode of season 3. I was especially psyched up during the chess match, but darn the admins have to manipulate the game like that.
Mar 13, 10:32 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
Its good that we finally get to see Arisu's first encounter with Ak. The power of good teamwork is one that can overcome even sudden ambushes after all. A typing battle sure was pretty unexpected as a choice. Mental math sure looked tough. I really liked how AK and Arisu's battle is intermingled with their first encounters in the white room though. Suzune as the pick for chess was a great choice. Arisu's elation at having the chance to face Ak was amusing. But at last we get to see the core of Arisu's goals. Too bad that the sancity of that dual was spoiled by the director. The final scene with AK and Arisu was actually quite cute. If only they were actual childhood friends though.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 13, 10:35 AM
Jan 2015
Apart from weird opening this looks like a legitimate chess game.
Qg5 is a sexy move indeed, not really an obvious defence.
VizvezdenecMar 13, 10:41 AM
Mar 13, 10:45 AM
May 2022
This was such a well adapted episode literally I enjoyed it throughout.
10/10 easily
Been waiting for this ep since foreverrr this season began.
However only 2 more weeks left than it’s over 😭
Mar 13, 10:50 AM

Oct 2022
As expected of an outstanding chess battle from Kiyotaka. Epic face-off with Sakayanagi, worth the wait.
"All things, be they divine or mortal, find their ultimate end. 
                      It is not a harsh punishment, but a merciful pardon."

Mar 13, 10:56 AM

Jun 2023
What? it's already episode 11? And it's one of the greatest episodes of COTE, real Ayanokoji and Sakayanagi content!
With a careful focus on the two geniuses of the school, we get insights in their childhood, for examole Ayanokoji's past in the White Room.
And the chess match was a highlight ofc, I've been waiting for that, it's pretty well done too.
My thoughts about Sakayanagi completely changed, before this episode I thought she was just annoying and arrogant, but indeed she can help Ayanokoji develop 'human emotions' and stuff, it would be nice to see their relationship getting more casual and less just about hostility.
Mar 13, 11:39 AM
Nov 2020
Reply to NiaAlexandria
ok what the hell, Sorry Arisu i thought you're just another annoying character in this series lol, and turns out She's just another Best Girl in this series imo haha, only 2 episodes remaining can't wait !!!
@NiaAlexandria same l also was like she getting here and there but this arc when l read LN made her my fav female charachter here
Mar 13, 11:43 AM
Jan 2024
Talk about some great post credit scene. Do you think Ayanokoji will eventually feel something?
Mar 13, 11:48 AM
Oct 2017
Is warmth episode & I Love it!
Mar 13, 11:52 AM
Mar 2015
The school master cheated him He did win when he played Glad they shook hands at the end as now they have an understanding
landofthekwtMar 13, 11:58 AM
Mar 13, 11:57 AM
Jun 2023
is sakayanagi enemy or a friend, this episode it felt like she is into him and she wants to change him , I mean she know his past and all, i didn't expect this ,that they would be friends,even now i am confused like it this real or they are faking or manipulating eachother,😂,
Mar 13, 12:01 PM
Jan 2023
Chess game between Two Geniuses , of course Mastermind Ayanokoji Wins.
Mar 13, 12:18 PM
Jan 2024
still hated it since years ago vol 11 released til today, before mostly blackmail but this, it's directly changing answer.
Mar 13, 12:18 PM

Jul 2014
Yea that shitter ruined the chess match. Would've been better if they showed Ayanokoji winning there. Also they couldnt show Ayanokoji losing in general so they showed a rematch of him against Sakayanagi , actual elite guy fr
Mar 13, 12:35 PM

Sep 2014
I feel very conflicted about this.

I want to praise her for her morals but also..

what do you mean "superior DNA"?!

Curious she not just knew about his past but was even there herself. This makes this all a lot more interesting.

Again she gives me best girl vibes suddenly but that one line... yikes
Comander-07Mar 13, 1:11 PM
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Mar 13, 12:41 PM

Oct 2013
Hahaha, that chess match was so so so bad. I don't know why they didn't do research into these things. Definitely a game worthy of 1400 ELO. Based on the board they showed us, white was up by two knights. Game was already over.

Nxd6 would end the game for good lol. They really need to do proper research before coming up with this bogus. The openings were actually believable since it was two amateurs who have barely learned to play chess. The mid-game was just pathetic.
Mar 13, 12:49 PM
Mar 2008
Reply to MyNameSans
The episode was... pretty good tbh. Definetly one of the best this season, although that isnt saying alot.

I don't mind that they cut or skipped some stuff about the first 6 subjects, no one really cares about those tbh lol. The chess game itself was quite good. The full op playing during it worked better than I would've expected and I noticed that there wasn't even a single frame in which Arisu didn't look good. Deserved for the queen. Tsukishiro's entrace was also pretty good

This is like the one episode where they should've put the original ending for this season (y'know, THE ONE WHICH IS LITERALLY FOCUSED ON ARISU) but they decided to use the other one...

The post-credits scene is prob my favourite scene out of the entire anime. It looked great, the ost was fantastic and they THANKFULLY animated Arisu's lines about warmth being a wonderful thing and touching ayano's hands. Ayanokouji was even a little suprised. Though, unfortunately they didn't draw them going back home and chatting about meaningless things (which is fine, don't get me wrong, but I just would've loved to see that panel being animated)

Also, I'm not sure about this, but the moves during the chess game, especially the ones that are supposed to be amazing and only being able to be done by geniuses didn't look that difficult? Im not a chess master by any means but the chess game did look rather lackluster for one thats between 2 geniuses. It's be nice to have someone look into that

@MyNameSans I am not the best at chess, but here are some of my takes on the chess.

So it seems when we see the moves at first the animator drawing the chessboard for Sakayanagi shows wrong move. It shows d3 as the 3rd move when it should have been e3. So shame on him/her.

So we knows white 3 first moves are 1 b3, 2 Bb2, 3 e3. Followed by 3 next moves being 4 Bb5, 5 Nf3 (could be 4th and 5th move were opposite), 6 0-0.
Black moves as we know them are 1. c5, 2 d5 3-6 are the moves e6, Bd6, Nf6. From what I could find out this is called Nimzovich-Larsen attack, English variation. So this seems to be a decent enough choise. Not a very commonly played opening, but if you are playing a one time game and preparing up an unique opening I guess this would throw off anyone playing chess for a month, even if intensively.

So by what I see the chess play is quite decent, even though I personally feel the do a lot of wasteful moves like moving pieces multiple times when not needed like white doing 2-3 Queen moves which should have just been one.

But one thing I found really bad is the animation of the chess being way off. Like I said the fact they drew 3. d3 and when you see the board from the side. You see white having 2 knights being on the 4th and 6th rank despite losing one. You see a white bishop on the 5th rank behind a pawn. Which means it either had to be taking the c5 pawn or the e5 pawn. The latter means it would have required a f6 pawn move. So most likely it was a pawn take on c5. Which can seem to be the way a the bishop was lost for a pawn. But it this is a horrible move that someone which played an opening like this would never make in my opinion. And in the next picture we see. The bishop is still at the 2nd rank.

So animation of boards are pretty bad at times.

Also looking at the game after Ayanokoji and Sakayanagi takes over feel dumb. Judging from the position we knew from earlier. It seems like a white pawn killed a Night and got taken back, but at the same time it seems like black made like 6 moves and white none.

Also the late game move edit would have made for a queen exchange or them staying on the board meaning white would be up a rook. And should therefor be winning this game.

Also thing I would add is the underdevelopment of the white Rooks. They would have been put at least in action when there period of black getting like 6 free moves. 1 Rook did not move all game and 1 was only moved for the rokade, which is often followed up by moving the rook into a center d or e line.

So my conclusion is that the opening theory wise was a good one. Althought a bit stupid that they showed all the moves even before they had been done. Midgame was not that great in my opinion with what I considered a lot bad moves losing tempo. Also end game felt atricous with the lack of moved pieces like rooks of trying to make something happen. But the last intended move for both Queens to be up for takings was a cute tactical move.
Mar 13, 12:53 PM
Oct 2022
Reply to MyNameSans

@MyNameSans people who don't play chess or are not too good at it are also watching so I guess that's why the game wasn't "brilliant" in chess.com terms if you will
Mar 13, 12:56 PM

Aug 2014
That was good ep, too bad they had to lose. And again if not this stupid Koenji they would win before chess.. useless punk
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ ちゅっ ちゅっ キス (´。✪ω✪。`)

I hate it when anime/manga that I enjoyed ends, especially when there could be much longer plot and when I love main heroine :P

I wish I had magic glasses that let me see real world in anime colors ;)
Mar 13, 12:58 PM
May 2021
Cmon Koji is the fckn goatt, thats vol 11 done adapted the match quickly yyy
Mar 13, 1:03 PM
Feb 2019
I was waiting a little more for this chapter, but anyways it looks like:

1. Koenji is really intelligent (possibly one of the best in the school) but his potential is useless if he doesn't cooperate with others
2. The things Sakayanagi said in this chapter made me change my mind about her, now I think she's way cooler and I also understand why she did everything before. (also looks like she is really intelligent)
Mar 13, 1:07 PM
Jul 2021
AAHH I WAS ADKAIW D]AW DIF AF THE WHOLE EPISDOE D]A DIWJIOFJAF
Mar 13, 1:16 PM
Jan 2020
the episode was good but it was easier to predict but I was still impressed
Mar 13, 1:20 PM

Jun 2017
So Arisu was just a Kiyotaka simp all along, and wants that superior DNA. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

It's nice her motives got explained, she is not just a mere villain.
Mar 13, 1:50 PM
Aug 2019
Nice chess game and sakayanagi's cuteness 👌
Mar 13, 2:02 PM

Dec 2018
Man, that new director really gets under my skin. I can now see why she is so set on beating him but to have her win in that backhanded way I bet she was upset. They played each other later and she lost, but the way she handled it slightly leveled the scales of how I see her from creepy to more a powerful friend. I hope that continues.

oh crap I just hit 1000 entries! I need to celebrate!!!!
Anyways, love this show.

Edit: I forgot to add that some of those chess moves weren't "brilliant" but super obvious.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Youkoso Jitsuryoku Shijou Shugi no Kyoushitsu e 3rd Season Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 27

193 by aurseia »»
9 hours ago

Poll: » Youkoso Jitsuryoku Shijou Shugi no Kyoushitsu e 3rd Season Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 6

117 by Alex_TheForest »»
Yesterday, 3:36 PM

Poll: » Youkoso Jitsuryoku Shijou Shugi no Kyoushitsu e 3rd Season Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 28

118 by Alex_TheForest »»
Yesterday, 1:47 PM

Poll: » Youkoso Jitsuryoku Shijou Shugi no Kyoushitsu e 3rd Season Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Feb 21

214 by Alex_TheForest »»
Jun 14, 2:47 PM

Poll: » Youkoso Jitsuryoku Shijou Shugi no Kyoushitsu e 3rd Season Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 14

100 by Alex_TheForest »»
Jun 14, 2:06 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.